PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Nicholas Athan hits the big time

Hammock Parties
07-30-2010, 10:14 PM
This is awesome.

Lilja glad to be back home

http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/07/30/10/Lilja-glad-to-be-back-home/landing.html?blockID=280870&feedID=5112

By Nicholas Athan
FOXSportsKansasCity.com and WarpaintIllustrated.com (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%28window.open%28%27https://www.warpaintillustrated.com%27%29%29;)
July 30, 2010

One of the Kansas City Chiefs biggest offseason moves was the addition of Guard Ryan Lilja. On Friday afternoon, after his workout in Kansas City, there was no doubt that he was glad to be back home and in a Chiefs uniform.

Back in 2004 it was a dream come true for the Kansas State product to become a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. After a solid four-year stint for the Wildcats, the local boy signed an undrafted free agent contract to play for the team he watched growing up in Kansas City.

But then head coach Dick Vermeil felt that even though Lilja was solid in the pre-season, he needed to keep another defensive player. The hope was that Lilja would clear waivers and then could be assigned to the practice squad.

Well, that didn’t happen. The Indianapolis Colts snatched him up and for the next five seasons he was their starting guard, playing in front All-World quarterback Peyton Manning. It’s still unknown why the Colts cut their starting guard of five seasons, but some indicate that the team wasn’t happy with his performance in last season’s Super Bowl loss to the New Orleans Saints.

In league circles it was a big surprise that he was dumped. But the Chiefs acted fast and locked him down for three years.

This time, the man who played high school ball at Shawnee Mission Northwest in Kansas, plans on staying around a bit longer.

“I’m fifty minutes from my home town,” Lilja said to reporters on Friday. “It’s a special thing for me.”

In fact his addition could be very special for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2010. Last year the offensive line had their struggles trying to find five guys that could protect battered quarterback Matt Cassel.

Though they played well down the stretch, especially in the running game, they never really were able to give Cassel enough times to make multiple reads in passing plays. When they were able to protect him, his completion percentage was off the charts.

Still, this is a change from his Colts days, and he admits this offense isn’t yet on cruise control like it was under Manning.

“There was a lot of continuity up there,” Lilja said of the Colts’ offense. “That’s obviously a positive. But this is a talented team and I’m excited to see how good we can be.”

And so are the Chiefs, who may have finally added the one piece of the puzzle along the offensive line that could give Cassel more time to throw the ball.

milkman
07-30-2010, 10:20 PM
"The one piece of the puzzle along the offensive line"

LMAO

What a dumbass.

-King-
07-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Welp, now im sure the world is ending in 2012.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
07-30-2010, 10:23 PM
If he can be as good as Wade Smith he will be a successful addition. Smith truly did a solid job last year over the last few games.

LaChapelle
07-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Did Cassel get the 7 herbs and spices
or just a run of the mill beer batter

Sure-Oz
07-30-2010, 10:37 PM
"The one piece of the puzzle along the offensive line"

LMAO

What a dumbass.

ROFL

SPATCH
07-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Journalism? Nay. I say poetry.

SoCalBronco
07-30-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm trying to figure out how the fuck Athan could get a gig at Fox Sports when he couldn't even write a grammatically correct paragraph without Clayton cleaning up his messes?

Agent V
07-30-2010, 11:05 PM
"But then"

You don't use "but then." There's no excuse for "but then." This isn't the script for a fucking movie trailer.

wasi
07-30-2010, 11:41 PM
If he can be as good as Wade Smith he will be a successful addition. Smith truly did a solid job last year over the last few games.

Wade Smith? Lilja started for 4 years, won a championship and played in another, and your comparing him to Wade Smith?

Phobia
07-30-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm trying to figure out how the **** Athan could get a gig at Fox Sports when he couldn't even write a grammatically correct paragraph without Clayton cleaning up his messes?

The guy should demand a refund from KU.

Psyko Tek
07-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm trying to figure out how the fuck Athan could get a gig at Fox Sports when he couldn't even write a grammatically correct paragraph without Clayton cleaning up his messes?

fair and balanced ?

big nasty kcnut
07-31-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm going to die am i? nick el capitone faggot athan is on fox sport.

Manila-Chief
07-31-2010, 07:06 AM
Okay ... so, what was "news" in his whole article? Maybe, "But this is a talented team...." Seems like wasted space to me.

Dave Lane
07-31-2010, 07:26 AM
That's one of his best articles ever. Mostly because he didn't use many words.

Consistent1
07-31-2010, 08:30 AM
He will be on ESPN soon.

gblowfish
07-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Well, I guess you have to admire the guy's perseverance. Showing if you work hard, you can get paid by a quality organization like Fox.

boogblaster
07-31-2010, 08:46 AM
Web gona sumwheres ...

Gonzo
07-31-2010, 08:46 AM
He will be on ESPN soon.

Yep, I just heard they saw a private jet land in Bristol with "The deal is done" written on the tail.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
07-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Yep, I just heard they saw a private jet land in Bristol with "The deal is done" written on the tail.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, actually you knew it was Athan's jet, cause it was "The deel is dun".

Gonzo
07-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Well, actually you knew it was Athan's jet, cause it was "The deel is dun".

LMAO
Bravo, sir.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
07-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Well, I guess you have to admire the guy's perseverance. Showing if you work hard, you can get paid by a quality organization like Fox.

I definitely do. That dude will not quit. It's his best character trait by far.

BigRock
07-31-2010, 09:56 AM
After his teams first practice Friday, Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach Todd Haley, played the media denial game when asked by reporters if the rumors swirling that top pick Eric Berry was signed, sealed and delivered.

Does Fox not have an editor either? WTF is this?

Demonpenz
07-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Haters goin hate. I for one am brightened by his very living!