PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs, first-round pick Berry agree on deal

Tribal Warfare
07-31-2010, 04:53 AM
Chiefs, first-round pick Berry agree on deal (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/30/2119196/chiefs-first-round-pick-berry.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | A blast from afar jolted the Chiefs on their first day of training camp.

Safety Eric Berry, the Chiefs’ previously unsigned first-round draft pick, issued a simple message from his Twitter account about noon, almost two hours before the camp’s first practice started.

“Bout to head to st. Joe!!!” Berry tweeted.

Another tweet from Berry soon followed, this one reading, “Aka the deals done!”

With the two tweets, Berry revealed that he and the Chiefs had reached an agreement on a contract that reportedly will cover six years and be worth $60 million.

The Chiefs later practiced without Berry, but he may be on the practice field as soon as today. Despite his absence, word of the deal spread quickly.

“I got the news (being) around the team,” said another rookie safety, fifth-round pick Kendrick Lewis. “Everybody was saying he got signed. I’m happy for him. I can’t wait to see him and tell him congratulations.”

The Chiefs announced Berry’s signing Friday night, long after they finished practice.

Avoiding a lengthy holdout by their first-round draft pick was one of the Chiefs’ camp goals. His arrival would mean all their players are in camp except for veteran safety Jarrad Page, a restricted free agent who has yet to sign his one-year contract offer.

The difference, though, is that the Chiefs have moved on from Page. They drafted Berry and Lewis preparing for the eventuality with Page they now face.

Meanwhile, Berry is most likely the single most important player obtained by the Chiefs since the end of last season. He’s the only significant player added to what was a horrid defensive team last year.

Normally, safeties don’t get selected as high as the fifth pick in the draft, which is where the Chiefs grabbed Berry. But the Chiefs believe he has uncommon skills and the potential to be an extraordinary player.

Berry has the ability to be the enforcer they’ve lacked for many seasons in the middle of their defense. He also has the coverage skills to allow the Chiefs to use him in many different ways.

He was quick learner during offseason practices. He was starting at one of the safety positions when the Chiefs left off in June.

“Our entire rookie group has impressed me from the start,” coach Todd Haley said. “They have ability and seem to care about what they’re doing and how they’re doing it and they have a high sense of pride. Those are good indicators.

“We got to see a bunch of the young guys today. Hopefully, he’ll be out here soon and he’ll be in that mix.”

Jon McGraw and Reshard Langford were the starting safeties in practice Friday. McGraw is a veteran valued for his special-teams skills, but he started nine games last season after an injury prematurely ended Page’s season.

Langford was plucked off Philadelphia’s practice squad late last season and has never played in an NFL game.

One of them will eventually be moved out of the lineup to make room for Berry, perhaps as soon as the rookie steps on the practice field for the first time. The other starting spot could eventually go to Lewis, who received some time as the starter in offseason practices.

He showed his playmaking knack in practice Friday when his looming presence forced Dexter McCluster to drop a pass over the middle.

The Chiefs have plenty of time to sort that out. In the meantime, they’re happy their top draft pick is on his way.

“I’m excited to have him out there with us,” said yet another rookie defensive back, second-round pick Javier Arenas. “I’m pretty sure he’s ready to help out.”
To reach Adam Teicher, call 816-234-4875 or send e-mail to ateicher@kcstar.com

LaChapelle
07-31-2010, 05:32 AM
Not even a I'M LEAVING FOREVER THREAD could save Page
such a total miscalculation and made completely irrelevant combo
I've already forgot who I'm talking about

Bwana
07-31-2010, 07:15 AM
AGAIN!!

How many times can this guy sign? :)

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2010, 07:24 AM
AGAIN!!

How many times can this guy sign? :)

The bill has to be up to at least $600M by now.