PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals sign Ned Yost to an extension

BigChiefFan
07-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Royals give Yost two-year extension
Club thinks skipper is best to develop talent within system
fan comments (13)print this page e-mail this page post on facebook Yost on Royals' winDuration: 00:01:307/30/10: Ned Yost discusses the Royals' dramatic walk-off win over the Orioles courtesy of Alex Gordan's home runVideo Tags
KC Postgame, Ned Yost, More From This Game, press conference, Kansas City RoyalsRelated Video
Recap: BAL 5, KC 7Must C: ClutchWood's first career winBy Sam Zuba / MLB.com

07/31/10 8:49 PM ET

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals announced Saturday that they have extended the contract of manager Ned Yost for two years through the 2012 season.

The announcement came just minutes after the Royals informed the media of a trade that sent reliever Kyle Farnsworth and outfielder Rick Ankiel to the Braves in a five-player deal.

Yost took over as manager of the Royals on May 14 after the club dismissed Trey Hillman after 35 games. Since taking over, Yost has compiled a record of 31-37. Yost, 55, was hired by Kansas City as a special adviser to baseball operations on Jan. 13 before taking over as manager.

"We're delighted to announce that we've agreed to a two-year extension with Ned Yost to be our manager," general manager Dayton Moore said in a news conference before Saturday's game. "So, that's something that we're very proud to have happen. It's something that we anticipated."

With just more than two months left in the season, the Royals' organization decided now was the perfect time to make the decision on who would manage the team for the upcoming season.

"We considered other managerial candidates, and we felt that this was exactly the right time to move forward," Moore said. "We wanted to do something after the Trade Deadline. We knew we were going to be active, and we wanted to put ourselves in a position over the last two months -- it was important to Ned, personally and professionally, to go forward at this time. I felt the same way."

With Braves manager Bobby Cox retiring at the end of the 2010 season, there was speculation that Yost would wait to make a decision on his future, given his strong ties to Cox and Atlanta. Yost, however, quickly shut down those rumors.

"I never wanted to do that," Yost said. "I wanted to be here from the minute that I got here. I love this organization. In the short period of time that I've been here, the people that I've worked together with are top-notch."

In Yost's previous position with the organization, he traveled around to the Royals' farm teams scouting talent. After seeing the players in the system, he knew he wanted to help turn the Kansas City franchise around.

"That was a big part of it," Yost said. "Because if you don't have the right player development people, if you don't have the right scouts in place or the right personnel in terms of prospects in the Minor Leagues, it doesn't matter what I do. It's not going to work. Every piece is as important as the next. In my eyes, all the pieces were together down [in the Minors]. Now, we just need it shaped up here. Through time, that will happen."

The Royals think Yost is the right person to turn their prospects into Major League ballplayers.

"Ned has tremendous baseball intellect," Moore said. "He's an outstanding human being, great character person, a lot of energy. I like his style. He has a great understanding of the rhythm and the pace of a Major League season. As I've said many times, he understands what we're trying to do right here in Kansas City."

It's no secret that the Royals need some work to become contenders in the American League Central again, but Yost welcomes that challenge.

"This is my type of deal," he said. "I like this. I like building. I like helping an organization come in when it's struggling at the bottom, [but] this organization is not at the bottom. What you see here right now is the tip of the iceberg."

Yost pointed to the talented prospects and people in place in scouting and development as the keys to turning the franchise around.

"We're focused on making sure that we have the very best players to put Ned and our coaching staff and this organization in a position to win every night," Moore said. "That's our focus. ... Our energy is directed on making sure we can get the right players in this organization in a position so Ned has as many options as possible."

Royals second baseman Mike Aviles was pleased to hear the news of Yost's extension.

"He's a good motivator," Aviles said. "He keeps you positive, and he doesn't let you get down on yourself. He definitely always believes in you and believes that you can do better. He's a good guy to have around younger guys and a good guy to have in the clubhouse period."

Over the past week, the Royals have traded four veterans and received seven younger players in return to add to an all ready young clubhouse.

Pitcher Brian Bannister said Yost is the right guy for the direction the Royals are heading.

"I think it fits right in with the trend of what we're doing and what the future of this team is all about," he said. "It's a bright future. There are a lot of great guys coming up. I've been proud to wear this jersey for the last four years, and I know in the future I'm going to be proud to say I played for this team."

The Royals are the third team Yost has coached or managed for. He served as a bullpen coach for the Atlanta Braves under Cox from 1991-98 and was the third-base coach from 1999-2002. Yost was hired as manager of the Brewers from 2003-08 before being dismissed in September 2008. For the Brewers, Yost compiled a record of 457-502 (.447).

But for Yost, Kansas City offers the most exciting challenge of his career.

"I love the challenge of helping Dayton and our staff turn the Kansas City Royals into champions," Yost said. "It's something that's very exciting; it's something I'm very, very pleased to be a part of. I'm very thankful that we got here to this point today."

Sam Zuba is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

teedubya
07-31-2010, 09:16 PM
For the Brewers, Yost compiled a record of 457-502 (.447).

Since taking over, Yost has compiled a record of 31-37. (0.456)

That is improvement!! lol

Great article. I like Nedsy.

Gonzo
07-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Meh, seems like a decent guy. I'm impartial really because it really doesn't matter. We could have a guy like Hillman and we'd be .300 - .375 or a guy like Yost and be .375 - .400.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kraus
07-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Yost > Hillmann

I'm glad we signed him.

KChiefs1
07-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Yost > Hillmann

I'm glad we signed him.

THIS

Mama Hip Rockets
07-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Yost > Hillmann

really?

JoeyChuckles
07-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Hillman was a jerkface. Remember that time he gathered everyone after a spring training game right on the field to yell at them. That was totally uncool. It was all downhill from there.

The Rick
07-31-2010, 11:59 PM
Just wait...you guys will loathe him soon enough. :)

Mama Hip Rockets
08-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Just wait...you guys will loathe him soon enough. :)

There is nothing Nedsy could possibly do that would cause me to loathe him more than Barnyard Hillman.

alanm
08-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Check out what this guy wrote on Joe Posnanski's Meche topic on his blog. :thumb:

http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/cbd7a98d815e70605693b29ebc0b3dc6?s=75&d=http%3A%2F%2F0.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D75&r=G
<small>16: </small><cite>BillP (http://website/) said at 10:58 pm on July 27th, 2010:</cite> After 37 seasons of Royals fandom, I can customarily absorb large doses of Royals futility before giving up on a season, unleashing vitriol, or hanging my head in shame. Despite repeated emotional floggings delivered at approximately 7:10 PM all summer long, I remain resolute in my allegiance to the Powder Blues and hold out semi-irrational hope that they can attain some ethereal measure of success long after the more sentient part of me realizes it’s futile. You’re an intelligent reader, so I’m sure you’ve foreshadowed the vitriol to follow …
Whether intentional or not, Ned Yost sabotaged this team a fortnight ago. The Royals hit an astounding high-water mark of just *7* games under .500, and gool ol’ Neddy torpedoed the vessel and sounded the 2010 death knell. He told the team they had a chance.
I believe that Yost (correctly) sensed the team was at a crossroads, and that it was the right time to challenge the players to take the next step – a gambit ostensibly intended to infuse them with energy, but in reality, as an effort to ascertain the true character of the group. If they take up the torch and make a run, he’s a genius for saying the right thing at the right time. If they fall on their faces, they were destined to do so anyway.
As fans, we obviously knew what would happen. The utter lack of character and intensity in that clubhouse left only one possible outcome … the current, ludicrous 15-game freefall. There they were, climbing in the standings, looking down on Cleveland, but as soon as the “light” came on – they made like the rats they are and scurried for the Central Division basement – out of sight as fast as they could go.
Since Yost’s unfortunate Declaration of Competetiveness, the Royals are 3-12, and have been outscored [incredibly] 130-52. They’ve been outscored by more than 5 runs PER GAME over this stretch … essentially, a blowout loss EVERY time they take the field.
The Royals simply cannot win with THESE players (yeah, the whole damn lot of them). There doesn’t appear to be a single player on the roster who is capable of responding positively under pressure. Yost told them they had a chance, and as soon as the words were out of his mouth, the players knew they were now EXPECTED to perform … and climbed aboard the SS Minnow.
I certainly can’t blame Yost. Every manager has to know what tools he has in his shed. If they’re rusty and unusable, you either hire outside help for the job or go buy all new tools. He was tasked with captaining a patchwork dirigible, and when it came time to prove its airworthiness, it plummeted to the ground in a massive conflagration.
I’m to the point that I could care less about .300 averages, .400 OBPs, <1 WHIPs or any of the crap. Regardless of their stats or their supposed "upside," I can't get overly excited about Moose or Hoz or Crow or Lamb, because I don't yet know that any of those guys have the FIRE to win.
The Royals will not have a chance to win again until some player decides he's had enough losing and starts sliding hard into second … until some player decides he's had enough losing and knocks down an opposing batter … until some player decides he's had enough losing and launches into a tirade in the clubhouse, then goes out a hits .500 for a month while telling his teammates, "Get on board or get the **** out!"
None of those attributes can be resolved through any existing multi-year "process." Perhaps a new process should be initiated throughout the organization to seek out players not necessarily based upon numbers – but though a combination of talent and an absolute unwillingness to accept losing. There ARE no winners currently wearing powder blue – period.

Mama Hip Rockets
08-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Since Yost’s unfortunate Declaration of Competetiveness, the Royals are 3-12, and have been outscored [incredibly] 130-52. They’ve been outscored by more than 5 runs PER GAME over this stretch … essentially, a blowout loss EVERY time they take the field.

:shake:

:(

:cuss: