PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs still waiting for Jackson to fulfill potential

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Chiefs still waiting for Jackson to fulfill potential (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/03/2127268/chiefs-still-waiting-for-jackson.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | Maybe he will come around in time. There could be a day that Tyson Jackson lives up to the potential the Chiefs saw in him before the 2009 NFL draft, when they selected the defensive end at No. 3 overall.

The team is willing to wait, but coach Todd Haley knows that each practice is critical for the development of a player the Chiefs invested in — and whose payoff remains in question.

“We’ll know more as we go forward,” Haley said Tuesday. “I think that he learned a lot last year. He survived it. It wasn’t always perfect, but he came back for more, hungry.”

If Jackson is hungry to improve, the Chiefs are hungry to reap the rewards. Choosing someone in the top five puts a lifetime brand on a player that he’s expected to be great. Multiple Pro Bowls, consideration for awards, and the anchor of a team headed deep into the playoffs.

Jackson hasn’t admitted that he’s felt pressure, or been affected by the expectations that have followed him since he was drafted. But he admits that his first season, when he started 14 games but had zero sacks, wasn’t good enough.

“Year one,” he said, “you just get smashed with a whole lot of stuff. Going to the combine, going straight to the minicamps and stuff, you never get that time off to relax. But year two is pretty much more slow. Guys get to start understanding football at the NFL level and get a better grasp of everything.”

Haley wouldn’t say Tuesday what he believes Jackson’s potential is after that first pro season. Perhaps Haley was being coy, as he often does when faced with a subject he’d prefer to not answer — or perhaps he simply doesn’t know. There weren’t many highlights from Jackson’s first season, not many moments to point to for a dose of encouragement from a player whose contract is worth $31 million in guaranteed money.

Jackson looks the part of an NFL defensive lineman. He’s 6 feet 4 and 296 pounds. But each time Jackson speaks to reporters, he laments the tall order he faces in improving his technique. He added this week that he’s been helped by the presence of Romeo Crennel, a former defensive-line coach who Haley hired in the offseason as the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator. Jackson said he’s never had a coordinator who is so hands-on with linemen, and it’s not uncommon for Crennel to interrupt practices for tips.

“I’ve just got to keep going out there every day and put my talent to work, continue to work hard,” Jackson said, “and let everything else play itself out.”

Haley said there’s reason for optimism regarding Jackson. The coach said Jackson possesses plenty of attributes that suggest that brighter days could be ahead for the big man.

“He is in the early stages of an NFL career, playing a very difficult position against grown men,” Haley said. “I’m encouraged with where Tyson is right now.

“He’s a big, getting-stronger player that has good athletic ability. And that’s a pretty good combination. And I believe a pretty high-character guy, who’s prideful and wants to be good. I don’t know that there’s a lot missing from that equation.”

Only there’s not much evidence yet that suggests Jackson can be the worry-free foundation block they drafted him to be. He hasn’t looked overpowering even against blockers who are expected to be backups, and reserve running back Jackie Battle and backup offensive lineman Colin Brown had no trouble containing Jackson during Tuesday’s afternoon workout.

At least publicly, Jackson’s teammates are expressing support for their one of their most high-profile — and much-scrutinized colleagues.

“He knows what he has to do, like all of us,” defensive end Wallace Gilberry said. “He’s out here trying to get every day.

“It doesn’t matter how you get in; it’s how you leave.”

For all the things Haley would say Tuesday about Jackson, there was at least as much he wouldn’t say. He wouldn’t reveal what his expectations are, and he wouldn’t say what must happen to prove that Jackson has found himself on track. He also wouldn’t say whether he thinks Jackson has yet to get comfortable as an NFL player.

Haley said he’ll just have to hope Jackson does the right things, and he said he thinks that if Jackson stays focused, good things could be ahead.

“I’m counting on him being a big contributor this year,” Haley said. “I know he is, and I know his teammates are. I have a pretty positive outlook on how things will end up for Tyson.”

salame
08-04-2010, 02:45 AM
he sucks man

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2010, 02:58 AM
If the reports are true that Jackson is lazy then that would go against the Pioli philosophy of bringing in hardworking players

salame
08-04-2010, 03:00 AM
I think college coaches lie to hook up their guys

the Talking Can
08-04-2010, 04:53 AM
colin brown is shitting on him

awesome

Marcellus
08-04-2010, 06:16 AM
If the reports are true that Jackson is lazy then that would go against the Pioli philosophy of bringing in hardworking players

There are so many ways this post is stupid I am not sure where to start.

I know you are just making some smartass comment about Pioli but it makes you look well, dumb.

Exactly which teams have a philosophy of bringing in lazy players?

Reerun_KC
08-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Here we go again...

FAX
08-04-2010, 07:11 AM
This is a mystery pick for the ages. I have no idea what they were thinking with this deal.

A third overall pick who, as of now, doesn't even have significant trade value? Crazy.

The interesting thing is that a reach like this is even bad for the player. Expectations will probably always be both unreasonable and impossible for him to achieve. I'd really like to know what Pioli was thinking.

FAX

Reerun_KC
08-04-2010, 07:13 AM
This is a mystery pick for the ages. I have no idea what they were thinking with this deal.

A third overall pick who, as of now, doesn't even have significant trade value? Crazy.

The interesting thing is that a reach like this is even bad for the player. Expectations will probably always be both unreasonable and impossible for him to achieve. I'd really like to know what Pioli was thinking.

FAX

Well I am pretty sure this will be a thread of pure speculation. but I am sure we will be told time and time again, why........

Dave Lane
08-04-2010, 07:50 AM
colin brown is shitting on him

awesome

That is very scary. Well if he sucks maybe gilberry or some one will force him to sit.

Bane
08-04-2010, 08:05 AM
I think college coaches lie to hook up their guys

Like Ryan Sims coaches eh?:banghead:
And yes I agree,but I'm sure they do it to pimp their skills ya know.

the Talking Can
08-04-2010, 08:08 AM
That is very scary. Well if he sucks maybe gilberry or some one will force him to sit.

honestly, I wonder if they shouldn't promote gilberry just for motivational reasons....see what he's made of, if he gives up and pouts at least we'll know...maybe he gets pissed and tries harder...maybe he simply is only good enough to be a back up/rotational guy...

almost as bad is that magee had been running 3rd team....we may not even have a decent backup from two dl picks....good grief

Goldmember
08-04-2010, 08:34 AM

FAX

Totally agree FAX. This decision, more than the decision to make Cassel the franchise QB, really has me doubting Pioli's judge of talent.

DeezNutz
08-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Don't know what you people expect from an "evaluation year"...

So what if the #3 overall pick, Yuniesky Cassel, and our third rounder suck?

boogblaster
08-04-2010, 08:38 AM
A rookie season is the hardest ... now lets wait and see what this year brings ....

CoMoChief
08-04-2010, 09:40 AM

I honestly dont think Pioli cared about the draft last year.

ModSocks
08-04-2010, 09:41 AM
A rookie season is the hardest ... now lets wait and see what this year brings ....

Don't get your expectations up. I'm fully expecting Jackson to get blown off the LOS and still suck. He wasn't even marginal last year, he was awful. It was almost kind of embarrassing. I can't remember the game exactly, but i remember rewinding a TD play and saw jackson had been pushed back a few yards off the LOS....it was sad, really.

I hope it works out for him and he becomes a good player, but he has a long way to go. At least with Dorsey you saw signs of playmaking ability in his first year, I never got that impression with Jackson.

talastan
08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Put Gilberry in. At least we have someone who will freaking play with some heart. Between Gilberry and Dorsey and hopefully a decent rotation at NT we might be able to stop the run, at least better than last year, and hopefully get some pressure on the QB.

MahiMike
08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
At some NFL draft in the future, when a team is placed in the same predicament of having no real value at their pick and can't trade out, they'll simply NOT PICK! Imagine if they got to the 6th pick before some other team wanted to trade with them. Woulda been better than being forced into picking some dummy - any dummy, that gets $30M 'GARunteed'.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Dear Lord we have had some super bad picks. I hope he actually turns out.

The Franchise
08-04-2010, 10:33 AM
At some NFL draft in the future, when a team is placed in the same predicament of having no real value at their pick and can't trade out, they'll simply NOT PICK! Imagine if they got to the 6th pick before some other team wanted to trade with them. Woulda been better than being forced into picking some dummy - any dummy, that gets $30M 'GARunteed'.

And you're going to get a player who refuses to sign with that team because you drafted him at #6....when it should have been #3.

If your theory was plausible....then every team would be doing it to save money.

MahiMike
08-04-2010, 10:35 AM
And you're going to get a player who refuses to sign with that team because you drafted him at #6....when it should have been #3.

If your theory was plausible....then every team would be doing it to save money.

Not if you trade out. It's the other team's worry. But yeah, that thought had crossed my mind. Still better than what they ended up with.

RealSNR
08-04-2010, 10:45 AM
It could be worse, guys.

Pioli was likely thinking pretty hard about trading Dorsey last year.

Demonpenz
08-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Don't know what you people expect from an "evaluation year"...

So what if the #3 overall pick, Yuniesky Cassel, and our third rounder suck?

Alex Dorsey

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Babb, you fucking idiot.

They may be waiting for another year. We're still waiting on Dorsey too, you jackwagon.

tomahawk kid
08-04-2010, 01:59 PM
McGee is also quietly sucking it up this year too I've noticed.

He and Jackson could be the equivalent of Sims and Freeman.

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2010, 02:01 PM
I know you are just making some smartass comment about Pioli but it makes you look well, dumb.

?

No, I'm not I'm deducing what Maas and what Haley are indicating and that is he needs to get his ass in gear.

RedThat
08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Put Gilberry in. At least we have someone who will freaking play with some heart. Between Gilberry and Dorsey and hopefully a decent rotation at NT we might be able to stop the run, at least better than last year, and hopefully get some pressure on the QB.

Sadly, I think Gilberry could win a spot as a starter on this atrocious front seven we have.

But the question is where? Do you play him at DE in a 3-4?

Or do you put him as a rushbacker?

*I would be open to trying him as an OLB in a 3-4. It's obvious the chiefs need another guy to get to the QB. He is the next best passrusher on the team.

mcaj22
08-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I am pro-Gilberry, anti-Jackson. Sorry. I really think down the road Jackson will be the biggest first round bust we have had in awhile. We are one of the few teams to still have all of our first round picks still on the roster from the last 5/6 years worth of drafts, I honestly can't think of another team that has every first round pick since 2005 actually.

milkman
08-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I honestly dont think Pioli cared about the draft last year.

Oh jesus!

LMAO

ChiefsCountry
08-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Its all bc we traded for Matt Cassel. The trade that keeps on giving.