PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How do you feel about a K.C. Wildcat offense?

cardken
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
The Wildcat in K.C.
August, 3, 2010
ESPNBLog

By Bill Williamson
The Kansas City Chiefs wasted no time in tinkering with the Wildcat formation Saturday. New offensive coordinator Charlie Weis dedicated an entire period to the formation.

Our sound-off question to Kansas City fans is does that notion excite you? Do you think the Wildcat (perhaps the WildChief) would work in Kansas City? Or do you think the Wildcat is passé and Kansas City should just keep its offense traditional.

With Jamaal Charles, Thomas Jones and rookie receiver Dexter McCluster all Wildcat candidates, it could be an interesting wrinkle in Weis’ playbook. Hit my mailbag with your thoughts on how you think it would affect Kansas City’s offense. I will post some of your responses later in the week.

Dante84
08-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I honestly was wondering if TJ would fill the Ronnie Brown role. Yes, he's less agile... but can still pound it or hand off....

It will be interesting because there's a serious potential for success with Dex and JC on board.

Demonpenz
08-04-2010, 11:53 AM
better not mess up my fantasy team

Pasta Little Brioni
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't see this as something Haley and Wies would run on a regular basis like Miami does. I'm fine if they do break it out occasionally though.

gblowfish
08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Every man a wildcat!

OnTheWarpath15
08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Damn you, Charlie.

Part of the reason I was happy with the Weis hire is that I thought he'd steer clear of gimmicks like the Wildcat.

Complete waste of time. It's bad enough that we have a QB that doesn't know what to do with the ball, now we're going to ask RB's and WR's to make decisions on where the ball goes.

In our case, it should be easy for opposing defenses to stop, because there will be no concerns about the ball being thrown.

gblowfish
08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Heh, that went over real well vs. Oakland at home last year. Remember that? They ran a funky wildcat formation with that Ex Virginia QB for about three plays. Went over like a turd in the punchbowl.

Red Brooklyn
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Sure. Why not? What does the team really have to lose?

Demonpenz
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Heh, that went over real well vs. Oakland at home last year. Remember that? They ran a funky wildcat formation with that Ex Virginia QB for about three plays. Went over like a turd in the punchbowl.

that was with herm driving the bus

Pasta Little Brioni
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Damn you, Charlie.

Part of the reason I was happy with the Weis hire is that I thought he'd steer clear of gimmicks like the Wildcat.

Complete waste of time. It's bad enough that we have a QB that doesn't know what to do with the ball, now we're going to ask RB's and WR's to make decisions on where the ball goes.

In our case, it should be easy for opposing defenses to stop, because there will be no concerns about the ball being thrown.

Not out of the cat, but Dex looks better throwing the ball than Cassel ;)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dw7hsXv9MFU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dw7hsXv9MFU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Old Dog
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
an offense would be good

Mr. Laz
08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
whatever .... if they don't block, it won't matter

Dante84
08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Damn you, Charlie.

Well, we wouldn't run the WC the entire game, I'd imagine. Second thing to consider, is that we should have a very easy time running the ball this season based on our competition, so why not mix up the rushing attack to throw Defenses off?

Let's say TJ fakes a hand off to JC, and then pitches out to Dex around the side.... Before the snap, the Defense is looking at three viable rushing options. Maybe TJ plunges forward? Maybe he hands to JC or Dex up the gut with the other throwing a block as a mini fullback? Maybe one of our waterbugs shoots out to either side? Maybe they dump it for a five yard Tebow toss to Moeaki?

Possibilities are endless, and I say why not mix it up?

Mr. Arrowhead
08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I dont mind if they ran a couple plays out of the WC in a game

Bowser
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm just waiting for some team to have 500+ yards one game running the Wing T just to watch the rest of the league trip over themselves trying to get the same results by running their version of it.

OnTheWarpath15
08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, we wouldn't run the WC the entire game, I'd imagine. Second thing to consider, is that we should have a very easy time running the ball this season based on our competition, so why not mix up the rushing attack to throw Defenses off?

Let's say TJ fakes a hand off to JC, and then pitches out to Dex around the side.... Before the snap, the Defense is looking at three viable rushing options. Maybe TJ plunges forward? Maybe he hands to JC or Dex up the gut with the other throwing a block as a mini fullback? Maybe one of our waterbugs shoots out to either side? Maybe they dump it for a five yard Tebow toss to Moeaki?

Possibilities are endless, and I say why not mix it up?

While we're at it, let's make sure to tell Bowe to "go deep" and tell Chambers to "run an out route to the 3rd mailbox" and Dexter can hit one of them after a triple reverse.

Sandlot football, FTW.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm just waiting for some team to have 500+ yards one game running the Wing T just to watch the rest of the league trip over themselves trying to get the same results by running their version of it.

Herm would be proud.

38yrsfan
08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
The Wildcat in K.C.
August, 3, 2010
ESPNBLog

By Bill Williamson
The Kansas City Chiefs wasted no time in tinkering with the Wildcat formation Saturday. New offensive coordinator Charlie Weis dedicated an entire period to the formation.

Our sound-off question to Kansas City fans is does that notion excite you? Do you think the Wildcat (perhaps the WildChief) would work in Kansas City? Or do you think the Wildcat is passé and Kansas City should just keep its offense traditional.

With Jamaal Charles, Thomas Jones and rookie receiver Dexter McCluster all Wildcat candidates, it could be an interesting wrinkle in Weis’ playbook. Hit my mailbag with your thoughts on how you think it would affect Kansas City’s offense. I will post some of your responses later in the week.

I'm ready for anything as long as they start winning - flag football, Div I, whatever .....

OnTheWarpath15
08-04-2010, 12:09 PM

That's the thing. The "rest of the league" doesn't follow suit.

Just the shitty teams that lack the talent (QB)to run a traditional offense.

You sure as shit don't see the Colts, Packers, Saints, etc running the fucking Wildcat.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I just don't see Haley and Wies being that into this kind of offense. I read a quote where they ran it moreso for the D to work on defending as much as anything else.

KCUnited
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Anything that takes touches away from Cassel works for me.

the Talking Can
08-04-2010, 12:13 PM
the wildcat is gimmick for team's with young/shitty QBs....i hope we don't use it with any frequency...

OnTheWarpath15
08-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I just don't see Haley and Wies being that into this kind of offense. I read a quote where they ran it moreso for the D to work on defending as much as anything else.

Now that I can get behind, but devoting an entire practice to it? It's not something you'll see very often.

We have bigger fish to fry, IMO.

Dante84
08-04-2010, 12:15 PM
While we're at it, let's make sure to tell Bowe to "go deep" and tell Chambers to "run an out route to the 3rd mailbox" and Dexter can hit one of them after a triple reverse.

Sandlot football, FTW.

You bet your ass, OTW. You bet your sweet, sweet ass.

OnTheWarpath15
08-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Dude you hate this team and franchise more than I could ever imagined... I hated it with a passion when Herm was here. Love it now..

But I would say, you have me beat... I dont even think I hate the Broncos and Raiders as much as you just totally wish evil hate on everything Chiefs football...

Yep, I hate everything, jackhole.

That's why I was defending Brandon Carr to the hilt last week.

That's why I praised Pioli for taking Berry. And getting all of our picks to camp on time. (basically)

That's why I defend Glenn Dorsey because I think he's getting, and has been mis-used.

That's why I defend Bowe and this ridiculous bullshit about his drops.

That's why I'm spending a lot of money to travel to KC for MNF.

I could go on, but you get the point, though you'll be right back at harping on it next week.

The Wildcat is a stupid idea. Period. Doesn't mean I hate the team.

But you know this.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Now that I can get behind, but devoting an entire practice to it? It's not something you'll see very often.

We have bigger fish to fry, IMO.

Here's what I read the other day

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/The-Wildcat/96478543-d43a-4a9a-8f92-93fcdbf69338

I think it all comes down to the players you have and that’s really kind of the process we’re in and you check out who can do what and if it’s something we want to do, we’ll expand on it,” Haley said. “If we don’t, we’ll still have an advantage of letting our defense see something else.”

“I think we both come from the school of ‘let the throwers throw, the catchers catch and the runners run,” Haley said

38yrsfan
08-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I remember the innovations that Stram initiated being called gimmicks. Little things like the moving pocket and the layered, triple-stack defense ....

OnTheWarpath15
08-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Here's what I read the other day

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/The-Wildcat/96478543-d43a-4a9a-8f92-93fcdbf69338

I think it all comes down to the players you have and that’s really kind of the process we’re in and you check out who can do what and if it’s something we want to do, we’ll expand on it,” Haley said. “If we don’t, we’ll still have an advantage of letting our defense see something else.”

“I think we both come from the school of ‘let the throwers throw, the catchers catch and the runners run,” Haley said

Thanks for posting that. I hope he's being honest.

the Talking Can
08-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I remember the innovations that Stram initiated being called gimmicks. Little things like the moving pocket and the layered, triple-stack defense ....

the wildcat - in the nfl - is a gimmick...you run it because you don't have a drop back passer you trust....

you haven't, and won't, see a superbowl quality teaming spending much time on the wildcat...because it takes what should be your best and most important player - your QB - out of the offense....

Fish
08-04-2010, 12:37 PM
I hate to see gimmicky shit like this. It's stupid to waste practice time on it. 4-5 Wildcat formation snaps in an entire season I can understand. But don't bother devoting practice time to it. Sheesh.

If we had a QB who could accurately throw, this wouldn't even be talked about...

OnTheWarpath15
08-04-2010, 12:46 PM
the wildcat - in the nfl - is a gimmick...you run it because you don't have a drop back passer you trust....

you haven't, and won't, see a superbowl quality teaming spending much time on the wildcat...because it takes what should be your best and most important player - your QB - out of the offense....

I hate to see gimmicky shit like this. It's stupid to waste practice time on it. 4-5 Wildcat formation snaps in an entire season I can understand. But don't bother devoting practice time to it. Sheesh.

If we had a QB who could accurately throw, this wouldn't even be talked about...

You two hate this team and franchise more than I ever imagined.

Demonpenz
08-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Pottle Meet kettle

Reerun_KC
08-04-2010, 01:07 PM

ROFL

Poor OTWP, Nice, already playing my lines? ROFL

You provide hours of entertainment....

BTW way you didnt answer this in another thread, I am anxiously awaiting your reply?

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "unacceptable" here. What choice to you have but to accept it? I mean, if it truly is unacceptable, what is your recourse to ensure that it doesn't happen?

This I want to know... I want to see if your just a message board hero or if you can actually make changes in the Chiefs organization...

I thought I was bad pissing on everyones threads when Herm was here... You've got me beat for sure... Only fact I am going to use to back this up is? Nothing... Absolutely nothing, just to watch you rant that much more...

This is fun!

Oh and edit: All the bitching I did about Herm did absolutely nothing... Nobody listened at One Arrowhead Dr.

OnTheWarpath15
08-04-2010, 01:09 PM
ROFL

Poor OTWP, Nice, already playing my lines? ROFL

You provide hours of entertainment....

BTW way you didnt answer this in another thread, I am anxiously awaiting your reply?

This I want to know... I want to see if your just a message board hero or if you can actually make changes in the Chiefs organization...

I thought I was bad pissing on everyones threads when Herm was here... You've got me beat for sure... Only fact I am going to use to back this up is? Nothing... Absolutely nothing, just to watch you rant that much more...

This is fun!

Post the link to that thread. I'm pretty sure I responded to that post.

If not, I will.

Reerun_KC
08-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Post the link to that thread. I'm pretty sure I responded to that post.

If not, I will.

BTW, Your a good cat. I am just messing with you... Just seeing how far I can push your buttons before you go all Carl on me and tell me to STFU.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231478

mcaj22
08-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Probably in case Matt Cassel does his usual 3 and out drives they can just leave him on the sideline and hope 3 running backs can move us up and down the field hiking the ball to each other.

CaliforniaChief
08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Screw the Wildcat. This is the Weiscat. DMC and Charles flanking TJ in a Little Rascal.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2010, 01:36 PM

ROFL Winner.

BigRock
08-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Yeah, it's gonna be a big part of the offense. That's why they worked on it on the second day of camp in full view of fans and media.

Deberg_1990
08-04-2010, 01:44 PM
So do we resign Marques Hagans or Tyler Thigpen to run it?

-King-
08-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Dallas runs it. Jets run it. Chargers run it. Vikings run it. Philly does too...
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane
08-04-2010, 01:50 PM
He did that wrong. You should be able to hit the goalpost from that range. He's no Cassel.

Not out of the cat, but Dex looks better throwing the ball than Cassel ;)

Deberg_1990
08-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Dallas runs it. Jets run it. Chargers run it. Vikings run it. Philly does too...
Posted via Mobile Device

key words "much time"

Stinger
08-04-2010, 01:52 PM

Thought the same thing until I saw LJ line up in the wildcat last season. :facepalm:

the Talking Can
08-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

how much?

Miami "runs it"...which means it is integral to their offense.....other teams 'run it' to the extent it is a gadget in their offensive playbook....

teams with real QB's aren't wasting much time with it

Calcountry
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Sure. Why not? What does the team really have to lose?16 games? :shrug:

ModSocks
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

And yet the Dolphins are the only ones who really get much use out of it. It's a gimmick that everyone wants to try and yet no one really has any notable success with. I'd rather they left this wildcat shit to the Dolphins.

Anyhow, I highly doubt we see much of it in the regular season anyway.

OnTheWarpath15
08-04-2010, 01:59 PM
BTW, Your a good cat. I am just messing with you... Just seeing how far I can push your buttons before you go all Carl on me and tell me to STFU.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231478

I answered that question:

By unacceptable I mean that the organization needs to start making plans for a replacement. I realize that isn't going to happen this year.

If he doesn't dramatically increase his sack numbers and/or improve dramatically against the run, he doesn't deserve a starting position, IMO. If you aspire to be a championship team, you can't have players that are liabilities in 2/3 of his responsibilities.

Rausch
08-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm pissed the Chiefs suddenly decided to go unconventional after firing, by far, the best OC in the league at lulling you in/making the D commit/BOOM trickeration (thanks forever to "W" for that'n) for a TD! We had nothing outside of a talented (when he could catch) WR, LJ (remember, this is going INTO last season,) and a brand new QB.

But, what'd done is done. Our OC and DC are both unconventional (which I think kicks major ass) and this whole team, IMHO, will look completely different come game 3 or 4 or 5 once the kinks are worked out.

I don't think there will be any semblance of the "Haley Year" offense at all...

Thig Lyfe
08-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Maybe if we get Thiggy back.

-King-
08-04-2010, 02:16 PM
how much?

Miami "runs it"...which means it is integral to their offense.....other teams 'run it' to the extent it is a gadget in their offensive playbook....

teams with real QB's are wasting much time with it

That's pretty much the point of it all. It's good in moderation. Like 1 or 2 snaps a game.

I don't like the wildcat either. It's effectiveness decreased rapidly from 2008 to 2009. But if we can use a play here and there, I have no problem.

Rausch
08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Maybe if we get Thigpen back.

Once, a comment was made on a BB so retarded that the universe belched in agony, and then suffered a complete prolapse. The sheer force of this rip was enough to toss 3 bewildered strangers into our world and allow despair into the heart of God for the first time...

...these three heroes were born to fix a universal wrong!

http://vocalo.org/vcontent/thumbnail/52734/image/inclusion

Reerun_KC
08-04-2010, 02:21 PM
how much?

teams with real QB's are wasting much time with it

according to who? how do you know they are wasting time with it?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say your probably meant aren't?

CoMoChief
08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
how bout we worry about learning to execute our offense first before learning a gimmick trick offense

Rausch
08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
how bout we worry about learning to execute our offense first before learning a gimmick trick offense

Or establishing WHAT our offense is now...

the Talking Can
08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
according to who? how do you know they are wasting time with it?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say your probably meant aren't?

yes, it was a typo...

King_Chief_Fan
08-04-2010, 03:00 PM
The Wildcat in K.C.
August, 3, 2010
ESPNBLog

By Bill Williamson

a little trickery doesn't hurt

Stewie
08-04-2010, 03:48 PM
I miss the days of Tyler Thigpen catching long passes for touchdowns! :rolleyes:

Thig Lyfe
08-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Once, a comment was made on a BB so retarded that the universe belched in agony, and then suffered a complete prolapse. The sheer force of this rip was enough to toss 3 bewildered strangers into our world and allow despair into the heart of God for the first time...

...these three heroes were born to fix a universal wrong!

http://vocalo.org/vcontent/thumbnail/52734/image/inclusion

Tyler Thigpen > Len Dawson

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2010, 09:33 AM
16 games? :shrug:

Tyler Thigpen > Len Dawson

ROFLROFLROFL

Just...wow.

Coogs
08-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I watched the 2009 Ole Miss/Tennessee game replay a while back. McCluster ran 4 or 5 plays out of the "Wildcat" formation. Good things happened on damn near everyone of them as well. To not have that option as part of our package on offense would be a huge mistake IMO.

Here is a link that shows some highlights of that game including 3 DMC TD runs... 2 of which came out of the Wildcat.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=293180145

Prison Bitch
08-21-2019, 07:14 PM
Gawd, remember these horrible days. ??

https://media.tenor.com/images/6c9408a6e40f3087763afeae4791222d/tenor.gif

rabblerouser
08-21-2019, 07:17 PM

My life was so much better back then...

TLO
08-21-2019, 07:18 PM

Vomit inducing

rabblerouser
08-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Vomit inducing

This thread makes me want to kill myself.

TLO
08-21-2019, 07:22 PM
This thread makes me want to kill myself.

Picture Patrick Mahomes.
And Tyreek Hill.
Sammy Watkins.
Hardman.
Kelce.

Can we just go ahead and add the 2010 version of Jamaal Charles?

rabblerouser
08-21-2019, 07:28 PM
Picture Patrick Mahomes.
And Tyreek Hill.
Sammy Watkins.
Hardman.
Kelce.

Can we just go ahead and add the 2010 version of Jamaal Charles?

Yeah. That makes me feel better.

Why come Chiefs can't be good when my life is good? Why come Chiefs suck when life is good, and good when life is bad?

Prison Bitch
08-21-2019, 09:52 PM
Isn’t that a good thing?

loochy
08-22-2019, 07:28 AM
Remember when our QB sucked so much balls that we tried as hard as possible to not put the ball in his hands?

Sorce
08-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Remember when our QB sucked so much balls that we tried as hard as possible to not put the ball in his hands?

Remember when we supposedly cheered when he got hurt. That was thickening and disgusthing.

FlorentinePogen
08-22-2019, 12:10 PM
Remember when we supposedly cheered when he got hurt. That was thickening and disgusthing.

http://nocoastbias.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/winstons-mug.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-23-2019, 03:50 PM
http://nocoastbias.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/winstons-mug.jpg

Just...bicycle off a cliff and call it a career, please.

RealSNR
08-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Yeah. That makes me feel better.

Why come Chiefs can't be good when my life is good? Why come Chiefs suck when life is good, and good when life is bad?

Well, look on the bright side... you’ve got the next 15+ years to turn your life around while Pat is still the QB. That’s plenty of time