PDA

View Full Version : Royals Greinke doubts Royals' rebuilding plans....

petegz28
08-05-2010, 10:19 PM
SEATTLE | Zack Greinke isn’t sure he wants to endure the growing pains he knows are coming as the Royals gear up for another youth-based rebuilding plan.

It matters little that growing optimism surrounds numerous prospects currently percolating through the club’s farm system or that raves from outside the organization match in-house assessments for the first time in years.

Greinke greets it with a shrug.

“Every system has something,” he said. “The biggest problem is I have two more years on my contract. Are those guys supposed to make it up by the beginning of next year?”

Tell him, yes, some are projected to reach the majors next year, and Greinke just shakes his head. He seems a resigned skeptic dulled by the hard reality of too many losses over too many years.

“Very rarely,” he argued, “do guys come straight into the big leagues and make an impact, especially hitters. Just look at the top prospects in baseball. Delmon Young was one five years ago, and he’s finally starting to play well.

“Alex Gordon was one four years ago, and he might be starting to play well now. So the problem (with the Royals’ prospects) is that it’s not like as soon as they get here that it’s going to be instant (success). Maybe by 2014.”

Greinke lets that harsh assessment hang in the air for a moment before continuing.

“There’s no reason for me to get real excited about it,” he said, “because the chance of more than one of them making a major impact by the time my contract is up is pretty slim.”

Greinke knows the effect his words will have. While still just 26, he trails only injured outfielder David DeJesus among players on the club’s 40-man roster in continuous service time with the organization.

He knows, too, that as much as he finds it “annoying,” he is the face of the franchise and its most recognizable star. (All-Star closer Joakim Soria, for all his accomplishments, still hears his name mispronounced outside of Kansas City.)

Greinke is a homegrown success story, the American League’s reigning Cy Young Award winner and by 2012, the final year of his contract, will be the highest-paid player in franchise history.

His harsh assessment carries weight, although it’s wrong, he makes clear, to conclude he wants out. Even so, Greinke hedges when asked if he sees himself staying with the Royals beyond 2012.

“It depends more on the team now,” he admitted. “We’ll see. This is at least the third full re-start/rebuilding phase since I’ve been here. And, obviously, none of them have worked. This one hasn’t even really started yet.”

Some of this could be frustration talking, of course.

It’s early August – the onset of baseball’s dog days, when the blues set in on all struggling teams. The Royals find themselves 16 games under .500 at 46-62. Club officials make it clear the final 54 games will be an evaluation period.

And, personally, Greinke is laboring through a disappointing (and perhaps inevitable) drop-off from his Cy Young success. He is 7-10 with a 3.97 ERA entering his start Friday against the Mariners.

“It’s probably more of a grind than any year since 2005,” he said. “This one has been like that one for most of the season.”

Those are sobering words. Greinke came close to a breakdown in 2005. He went 5-17 with a 5.80 ERA and was thoroughly miserable.

The following spring, he quit baseball for a brief period before returning once he was diagnosed and treated for clinical depression and social anxiety. That treatment unlocked his potential and spurred his development into one of the game’s top pitchers.

There’s little reason to suspect a relapse, although the attention surrounding his success likely elevated his stress level. He also got married in the offseason; a life-changing experience under the best of circumstances.

A calmer offseason this winter should help.

What emerges instead from listening to Greinke earlier this week, on a rare occasion when he chose to open up, is that his current discouragement stems, primarily, from the drudgery of losing.

Another roster overhaul might be the Royals’ best chance, perhaps their only chance, to shake the malaise from a lost generation. Greinke doesn’t argue the point. He just views it from a personal perspective.

“It’s not real exciting to have to go through it again,” he said. “It’s been six years with me, and most people (who are Royals fans) have been through a lot more than I have. But for me, it’s the third complete re-start/rebuilding phase.”

Would he be happier elsewhere?

“I like Kansas City,” Greinke said. “It’s a town that fits me pretty well. But I don’t know…at least put a team together that has a fighting chance (to win).”

He means soon. Not 2014.

To reach Bob Dutton, Royals reporter for The Star, send e-mail to bdutton@kcstar.com. Follow his updates at twitter.com/Royals_Report.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/05/2130939/royals-greinke-isnt-happy.html#ixzz0vnQdGPqs

petegz28
08-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Sounds like Greinke will be traded next year as it seems he is wanting out of KC. Can't say I blame him but I'd hate to see him go.

Thank you David Glass and Dayton Moore for more or less running off our best pitcher. And the only pitcher worth a damn in the rotation. And the only pitcher you haven't broken yet.

JoeyChuckles
08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
That is some good insight from Greinke. He sounds like a jaded Royals fan.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Cant blame him one bit. Wont blame him one bit if he leaves the worst run franchise in all of professional sports.

25 seasons without playoffs and counting......

Gonzo
08-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Water is wet dude. The team you signed on with will forever be everyone else's farm club.
Posted via Mobile Device

CaliforniaChief
08-05-2010, 10:27 PM
At least we don't have to worry about going through a one hour TV show called "The Decision"

petegz28
08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
That is some good insight from Greinke. He sounds like a jaded Royals fan.

It had better serve as a shot across the bowe to Glass and Moore. If you can't keep Greinke then you might as well hang it up. I mean fuck, what good player is going to want to come to or stay with this team? Quit signing the Kendall's and Ankiel's and Betancourt's. Start either giving younger guys some playing time or up the $'s for some good players.

Personally I think Zack is still pissed that we let Olivo go. The kid loved pitching to him.

Ebolapox
08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
wonder what kind of haul he would bring. not only that, I wonder how he would handle a big city type environment.

petegz28
08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Water is wet dude. The team you signed on with will forever be everyone else's farm club.
Posted via Mobile Device

Until the Glass family realizes that they might have to endure a few seasons of negative profits to get a good team on the field I think we are doomed to be just that.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
He'll be in pinstripes by 2012

Ebolapox

I'm about 99% sure he would go insane in the big apple. he's not exactly a guy that can stand the pressure.

CaliforniaChief
Personally I think Zack is still pissed that we let Olivo go. The kid loved pitching to him.

I think Zack would get over Olivo fast enough if we brought in Dunn, Gordon actually stays healthy and produces, one of the guys in the minors goes apecrap in KC, and we won a few more games.

And of course if my aunt had a package she'd be my uncle.

petegz28
08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
wonder what kind of haul he would bring. not only that, I wonder how he would handle a big city type environment.

I think he could still go to some small teams that will be willing to pay. We would never trade him to Minnesota but you know they would snag him in a NY minute. Oakland, Cinci, Seattle, Texas and Tampa Bay I think would all be teams hungry for him and markets that wouldn't be "too big" for him.

As far as a haul goes I don't know that I would expect too much. Teams will pretty much just hold out until his contract is up and sign him outright.

CaliforniaChief
08-05-2010, 10:32 PM
I honestly don't see Zack in NY/LA/Boston. I see him in Minnesota, Atlanta, or Tampa Bay.

Or Kansas City.

petegz28
08-05-2010, 10:32 PM

Actually I could see a team like LA Angels grabbing him and paying him big $'s.

CaliforniaChief
08-05-2010, 10:34 PM

Oh you just really pissed me off just making me think about that. Have I mentioned that I hate the Angels lately? :D

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm about 99% sure he would go insane in the big apple. he's not exactly a guy that can stand the pressure.

I know for a fact that Cashman wants him and will do what it takes to get him.

It sucks but it's true.

CaliforniaChief
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM

It sucks but it's true.

So he's going to go all Ahmadinijad and muzzle the entire NY media? I know you're right Dane...the Yankees usually always get what they want. It just seems like Zack is a different kind of cat. He would fit really well with a team that wins with less attention. But money talks. And so do championships.

Ebolapox
08-05-2010, 10:39 PM

It sucks but it's true.

I'm a red sox fan. as much as I have a soft spot in my heart for the royals and greinke, my hatred of the yanks supersedes everything. I'd hate for the yanks to get him and to see him crack under the pressure. ideally, he goes to one of the 'smaller' market teams that has success and dominates.

CaliforniaChief
08-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm a red sox fan. as much as I have a soft spot in my heart for the royals and greinke, my hatred of the yanks supersedes everything. I'd hate for the yanks to get him and to see him crack under the pressure. ideally, he goes to one of the 'smaller' market teams that has success and dominates.

So he's staying with us??? :D

tk13
08-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Well of course Cashman would want him... who wouldn't?

That would be interesting though... NY is definitely not Zack's style. The media would have a field day with him and every one of his goofy press conference answers.

petegz28
08-05-2010, 10:43 PM
“I like Kansas City,” Greinke said. “It’s a town that fits me pretty well. But I don’t know…at least put a team together that has a fighting chance (to win).”

This one sentence pretty much says it all. He just called out everyone that has anything to do with this team; owners, managers, coaches and players. Not a typicall move for Greinke to say things like that either.

Ebolapox
08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
So he's staying with us??? :D

in a perfect world, yeah. I may have come back to baseball with the red sox (the 94 strike killed baseball for me until the 2004 playoffs (and they knocked off the yanks in the playoffs in that miracle run), but I still have a HUGE soft spot for the royals. I'd freaking love for the royals to compete again!

DeezNutz
08-05-2010, 10:45 PM

That would be interesting though... NY is definitely not Zack's style. The media would have a field day with him and every one of his goofy press conference answers.

Greinke would be fine there. I don't buy into the bullshit about him needing a "smaller market." The dude is quirky, no question, but he's not stupid. And I sure as hell don't think outside influences negatively affect his game.

His inner demons are far worse than any piss ant NY media person.

CaliforniaChief
08-05-2010, 10:48 PM
in a perfect world, yeah. I may have come back to baseball with the red sox (the 94 strike killed baseball for me until the 2004 playoffs (and they knocked off the yanks in the playoffs in that miracle run), but I still have a HUGE soft spot for the royals. I'd freaking love for the royals to compete again!

It could happen, but would take a "perfect storm" of a few key FA acquisitions, most of their hot prospects hitting it, and some luck. All 3 of which never happen. But I'm more hopeful than usual. Maybe it's just Guillen's departure that has me so happy.

Sure-Oz
08-05-2010, 10:50 PM
I say give it a look to trade him....we won't compete until his contract is up. I assume a massive haul back and no less

|Zach|
08-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Apathy.

Ebolapox
08-05-2010, 10:52 PM
It could happen, but would take a "perfect storm" of a few key FA acquisitions, most of their hot prospects hitting it, and some luck. All 3 of which never happen. But I'm more hopeful than usual. Maybe it's just Guillen's departure that has me so happy.

yeah, I've been silently watching the royals repository thread for a while now. I live in springfield (home of the cardinals AA team), and I've seen the NW ark naturals a few times--the royals definitely have some great prospects these days. however, it's hard to have hope. you guys are the definition of die-hard.

tk13
08-05-2010, 10:53 PM
You really don't think outside influences affect him? If that's what you think we're never going to agree on anything. I think he is very emotionally fragile. And I think he's better now, but I don't think people who have those kind of issues are easily cured, it's in his mental makeup. He just compared this season to one where he went 5-17 and had a mental meltdown.

CaliforniaChief
08-05-2010, 10:57 PM
How much of this has to do with his own "lemon" of a season? I mean, he hasn't been as bad as his record indicates, but he isn't setting the AL on fire at all this year. Sometimes his own personal frustration boils over.

I'm still optimistic we can keep him. But we've got to play this right.

DeezNutz
08-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Emotionally fragile? Yes. Are these insecurities tweaked by idiots like Dutton, KK, etc.? No. I simply don't see him as someone who caves to media pressure.

He runs on Greinke time. A totally unusual, unique entity.

tk13
08-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Emotionally fragile? Yes. Are these insecurities tweaked by idiots like Dutton, KK, etc.? No. I simply don't see him as someone who caves to media pressure.

He runs on Greinke time. A totally unusual, unique entity.

Yeah, but no offense to those guys... they are lightweights compared to what he'd see in NY. Cameras following him (and his wife) around... 20 reporters in his face every time he screws up. It took Randy Johnson about 2 minutes in NY to get ticked and shove a photographer. I don't think he'd completely fall apart and meltdown but I don't know if that's the place he'd want to spend the last 10 years of his career. If he goes out there and pitches like Cy Young every night it probably won't matter.

BWillie
08-05-2010, 11:18 PM

I remember when I first moved here. I was at Kelly's at Westport and I saw Zach Greinke just standing there w/ some these two chicks. Everybody was just walking by him, didn't even know who the hell he was. Then my drunk friend goes up to him and does a light tap to his arm and says there, you are going on the DL so you can't beat the Cards. He didn't know what to say, it was funny

Ebolapox
08-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I remember when I first moved here. I was at Kelly's at Westport and I saw Zach Greinke just standing there w/ some these two chicks. Everybody was just walking by him, didn't even know who the hell he was. Then my drunk friend goes up to him and does a light tap to his arm and says there, you are going on the DL so you can't beat the Cards. He didn't know what to say, it was funny

hell, it would be hysterical seeing him chat up two chicks. I know he's a ballplayer (and chicks gravitate toward them for obvious reasons), but that conversation would be awkward to say the least.

ChiefsCountry
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
If we can get the deal the Indians got for Colon I would consider it.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2010, 11:40 PM
If we can get the deal the Indians got for Colon I would consider it.

Unfortunately, the Royals aren't going to have a choice.

Barring a miraculous turnaround over the next two seasons, Greinke will be traded to a large market team for a bevy of picks and the cycle will begin once again.

petegz28
08-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Unfortunately, the Royals aren't going to have a choice.

Barring a miraculous turnaround over the next two seasons, Greinke will be traded to a large market team for a bevy of picks and the cycle will begin once again.

Begin? Shit, this cycle started years ago an has never ended. We are beyond anything that would be a cycle. We are in tradition territory now.

Jerm
08-06-2010, 12:22 AM
The Royals should've traded him last offseason...his value will never be as high as it was then. They could've got a great deal for him.

I think he'll be dealt this winter.

DaneMcCloud
08-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Begin? Shit, this cycle started years ago an has never ended. We are beyond anything that would be a cycle. We are in tradition territory now.

Yeah, 25 years is a tradition, no doubt

kcxiv
08-06-2010, 01:43 AM
I really wish mY Dodgers could scoop him up, but we got the most retarded, ok 2nd retarded owner there is. I HATE, fucking HATE Frank McCourt.

Titty Meat
08-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Either Glass should sell the team or move.

pr_capone
08-06-2010, 02:54 AM
I honestly don't see Zack in NY/LA/Boston. I see him in Minnesota, Atlanta, or Tampa Bay.

Or Kansas City.

I hope so. Gladly give you Chipper and Lowe for Zach. :D

Deberg_1990
08-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Apathy.

Can you blame him? Whats he got to get excited about?

HemiEd
08-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Can you blame him? Whats he got to get excited about?

Ummm, 26 years old, multi millionaire, a whole city at his feet, his choice of young hot chicks, shall I go on?

Brock
08-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Ummm, 26 years old, multi millionaire, a whole city at his feet, his choice of young hot chicks, shall I go on?

and never winning.

alpha_omega
08-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Sounds about right to me. These are definitely not the Royals from my childhood.

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2010, 08:31 AM
I hope so. Gladly give you Chipper and Lowe for Zach. :D

No deal...but I'll take Gregor Bla...wait.

Heyward?

OmahaChief
08-06-2010, 08:38 AM
his choice of young hot chicks, shall I go on?

Consdering Zack is married to a smokin hot chick already I don't think that is much for him to care about.

Jerm
08-06-2010, 08:48 AM
No deal...but I'll take Gregor Bla...wait.

Heyward?

Heyward??? No way...Frank Wren would be lynched if he dealt J-Hey. They've never had any intention of trading him and won't.

The Braves are straight loaded with minor league talent especially pitching...if we wanted to do a Greinke deal I think it could happen.

Demonpenz
08-06-2010, 09:20 AM
The said thing is once we get the team going it is just enough to compete with the rest of the division. We still probably won't win, we will just be at their level for a year or two. Once we get a lineup set I am willing to be the white sox will still on paper have a better rotation. Twins a better lineup etc tigers a better power hitter.

gblowfish
08-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Here's how the Royals will respond to this:

Greinke pitches here one more year. We lose 90 games.

Greinke traded for three minor leaguers, all in their early 20's.

Royals front office says "Just wait another three years, then, hooo boy...."

Royals PR wanks say "TShirt Tuesday! Disco Retro Nite! College ID Nite! Fireworks Friday! Look, a shiny object! Look another shiny object!"

David Glass says: "Who wants to buy this POS franchise for $400 million?"

Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it...
Ever....
Was.

HemiEd
08-06-2010, 09:32 AM
and never winning.

The question was, what does he have to be excited about, not what does he have to complain about.

teedubya
08-06-2010, 09:41 AM
I watched Game 6 of 1985 World Series last night. So, in my imagination, they are winners. I may watch game 7 tonight. Winners, dammit!!

The Franchise
08-06-2010, 09:48 AM
I really wish mY Dodgers could scoop him up, but we got the most retarded, ok 2nd retarded owner there is. I HATE, fucking HATE Frank McCourt.

This.

He's fucking killing the Dodgers right now.

Brock
08-06-2010, 09:58 AM
The question was, what does he have to be excited about, not what does he have to complain about.

He can get the things you spoke of in any MLB city.

HemiEd
08-06-2010, 10:28 AM
He can get the things you spoke of in any MLB city.

No doubt about that.

But the question was, "what does he have to be excited about."

Fuck, he could be an unemployed Pontiac factory worker. He should be damned excited about his situation, the fact that it could be better, is something else entirely.

SithCeNtZ
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't envy Moore's position in this at all. On one hand, you have the face of the franchise and a big fan favorite. He has a cy young and clearly has good stuff but.........on the other hand, he has really only had one good season ever, you can't be sure that mentally he is stable enough to give him a huge long term deal, and he might not want to stay for many more years.

Sad as it is, I'd vote for trading him in the off season. His potential value in trade is just too good to pass up when you consider that he is probably right, he won't be around for all of our prospects to get good.