PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs’ day in camp

Tribal Warfare
08-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Chiefs’ day in camp (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/05/2132200/chiefs-day-in-camp.html)

Video supports Haley

A video the Chiefs said was from Wednesday morning’s workout was of a walkthrough and not a regular practice. That supports the claim from coach Todd Haley and not rookie safety Kendrick Lewis, who had said it was a regular practice.

In the video, the Chiefs practiced at the indoor facility at Missouri Western. Players, as they usually do for a walkthrough, wore no helmets or other protective gear and went through plays at a pace far less than full speed.

NFL policy says NFL teams must open a regular training-camp practice in its entirety to the local news media covering the team. The Chiefs closed the practice to media and fans.

“It was a walkthrough,” Haley said. “Whatever anybody chooses to believe, that’s everybody’s prerogative.

“There (were) no helmets involved. There were not even (light pads). They wore their jerseys, T-shirts and I think most of them tennis shoes.”

Haley then explained why he closed the practice and moved it to the indoor facility.

“It was meant to be a very, very positive thing for our team,” he said. “The weather has been pretty extreme, but at the same time I feel like our players and the team have worked very hard.

“It’s my job to take care of these guys in all areas, and their physical condition is one of those. I was trying to throw them a bone, a surprise bone, so they could feel like something good was happening.

“It was a real good mental day. We were able to cover a lot of things inside in air conditioning where they weren’t having to exert themselves physically at all but yet get a lot of work done mentally.”

Haley passing out praise

Haley doesn’t often compliment players but had praise for several from the Wednesday night practice. The crowd for that practice was the biggest of training camp and estimated at 8,000 fans by Missouri Western officials.

First on Haley’s list was rookie tight end Tony Moeaki.

“I think it was pretty obvious that this young tight end, Tony Moeaki, looked like he wasn’t affected a whole bunch by that situation,” Haley said. “He continued to do the things he has been doing in practice into that practice and it was a different practice. All the sudden they are under the lights (and) it created a different atmosphere for them and at the same time.”

Three other rookies, receiver Dexter McCluster, safety Kendrick Lewis and linebacker Cameron Sheffield, were also on the list. McCluster scored on a long touchdown pass, while Lewis broke up three passes.

Veterans Haley mentioned were tight end Leonard Pope, running back Jamaal Charles, linebacker Derrick Johnson, wide receivers Dwayne Bowe and Chris Chambers, quarterbacks Matt Cassel and Brodie Croyle, and fullback Mike Cox.

What you need to know about …

THE OFFENSE
Running back Thomas Jones returned to practice after missing Wednesday night’s workout because of an injury. … Dwayne Bowe made the play of practice when he juggled a pass at the back of the end zone before making the catch. … Ryan Succop made all three of his field-goal attempts, from 34, 39 and 49 yards. … Rookie free-agent tight end Cody Slate took two hits but held on to a pass in the end zone in a full contact drill.

THE DEFENSE
Despite his big practice from Wednesday night, Kendrick Lewis was running with the second team at safety behind Jon McGraw. … Linebackers presented problems to the offense in the passing game during full team drills. Derrick Johnson broke up a pass, and Pierre Walters deflected another that was almost intercepted.

INJURY REPORT
Guard Brian Waters, fullback Tervaris Johnson and defensive end Wallace Gilberry did not practice. Guard Darryl Harris was injured during practice and was taken from the field. Safety Jarrad Page has yet to sign his contract and is not in camp.

DAILY BATTLE
Ikechuku Ndukwe filled in for Harris after Harris left practice. The left guard position is normally filled by Waters, but he hasn’t practiced since the start of training camp. The Chiefs could have opted for rookie Jon Asamoah instead of Ndukwe but left Asamoah as the second-team right guard instead.

TODAY’S SCHEDULE
The Chiefs will practice at 8:50 a.m. and 4:20 p.m.

CaliforniaChief
08-05-2010, 10:59 PM
I wonder if Brian Waters is going to receive the 2010 Zach Thomas Award. You get released with a trophy of a guy on an exercise bike with the words "It coulda been a great year. Well, bye" on the bottom of the trophy.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I wonder if Brian Waters is going to receive the 2010 Zach Thomas Award. You get released with a trophy of a guy on an exercise bike with the words "It coulda been a great year. Well, bye" on the bottom of the trophy.

Harris better get back on the field soon and claim that left guard spot.

I hope Waters never suits up for the Chiefs again.

T-post Tom
08-06-2010, 12:00 AM
I like what I've seen from Haley so far. He seems to be evolving as a head coach very rapidly. It'll be interesting to see how he does with the game-time decisions this year.

Fumblerooski
08-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for posting. Thinking about going up there Saturday... Haven't decided yet.

Ugly Duck
08-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Oakland is having a slight problem with 2nd rnd pick DT Lamar Houston in training camp. He's doing great in practice, but he got into a fight with Robert Gallery. Then he got into a fight with TE Tony Stewart. Then he got into a fight with TE Brandon Myers. At least so far there's been no injuries like whats happening to the Invesco Tebows.

mlyonsd
08-06-2010, 07:17 AM
First on Haley’s list was rookie tight end Tony Moeaki.

“I think it was pretty obvious that this young tight end, Tony Moeaki, looked like he wasn’t affected a whole bunch by that situation,” Haley said. “He continued to do the things he has been doing in practice into that practice and it was a different practice. All the sudden they are under the lights (and) it created a different atmosphere for them and at the same time.”

:spock: Do the coaches hit the beer tent?

crossbow
08-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I like what I've seen from Haley so far. He seems to be evolving as a head coach very rapidly. It'll be interesting to see how he does with the game-time decisions this year.

Agreed.

The Pittsburg game showed us how well he could coach when he realy wanted to win. I think for the most part, he and Paoli used the season to evaluate players and put systems into place. Well that and flip off some fans but what the hell.

The Franchise
08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Agreed.

The Pittsburg game showed us how well he could coach when he realy wanted to win. I think for the most part, he and Paoli used the season to evaluate players and put systems into place. Well that and flip off some fans but what the hell.

Who?

MOhillbilly
08-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Harris better get back on the field soon and claim that left guard spot.

I hope Waters never suits up for the Chiefs again.

He killed us lastyear with jr. high level mistakes.

kepp
08-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Oakland is having a slight problem with 2nd rnd pick DT Lamar Houston in training camp. He's doing great in practice, but he got into a fight with Robert Gallery. Then he got into a fight with TE Tony Stewart. Then he got into a fight with TE Brandon Myers. At least so far there's been no injuries like whats happening to the Invesco Tebows.

Problem? It sounds like he should fit right in.