PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports SI: Sports fans are passionate, but many need a dose of perspective.

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Why are you so angry?

Yes, you. The diehard sports fan who lives for his teams, reads every magazine/newspaper/website/blog and takes this stuff -- professional and college athletics -- waaaaaaay too seriously?

Did you have a bad day at the office? Is your muffler dragging? Did someone spill Sunny Delight on your Bart Kofoed-autographed Warriors jersey? Is your underwear too tight? Did your wife ask you to watch the kids for a few hours?
Oh, I understand passion. I understand bleeding a team's colors, crying so hard following a loss that your parents wonder whether you need another shot of ketamine. Why, as a 12-year-old I could barely sleep after Marvin Hagler knocked out Tommy Hearns. When the Red Sox had the Mets on the verge of extinction during Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, I hid behind my fingers and refused to come out. I've screamed at the television, cursed out the radio, sworn off players who broke my heart and teams that let me down.
Of course, that all stopped when I , ahem, grew up.

How about you? How do you explain the vitriol?

The unmitigated cruelty aimed at sports journalists who have the audacity to write/say something you find either insulting or incorrect? When I started at Sports Illustrated in 1996, roughly 200 copies of a "reader comments" packet would be photocopied and distributed throughout the office. A large number of the letters were positive. A slightly smaller total were negative, but in a respectful way. "How dare you say Steve Garvey was the greatest National League first baseman when he played in the same era as Keith Hernandez" or "I really think you guys need to reconsider the Swimsuit Issue." Heck, in February 2000, a couple of weeks after I wrote the infamous profile of John Rocker for the magazine, I received a two-page letter from his mother, Judy. The woman was understandably angry, and she let me know about it. But her note made an unmistakable point ("You're a jerk") without using the actual words ("You're a jerk"). I've never forgotten that.

Now, however, everything has changed. With the wonderful world of e-mail and text messaging annihilating the wide gap between angry thought and pen/paper, irrational fans nationwide can immediately fire off a [FILL IN THE BLANK: Threatening. Insulting. Distasteful.] rant without a moment's pause.
Here, for example, are snippets of two e-mails I've received over the past 24 hours -- neither especially out of the ordinary.

• "You remind me of those guys in the current Miller Lite commercials. One has a lower back tattoo and the other is wearing a thong. My 4-year-old son is more of a man than you. Go drink your green tea."

• "Shut the ---- up you slimy ----! You are using your position to brainwash the ----- in the US to accept illegal aliens that are mostly a bunch of murderers, rapists, & child-molesters."

When I returned to writing for SI.com in 2009 following a six-year hiatus, I told my editor that I wanted to run an e-mail address beneath my columns, so that readers could have their chance to respond. "Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied. "It's the right thing to do."

I had no idea.

For some reason, we sportswriters bring out the absolute worst in people. I'd love to think it's just me -- that my work is so heinous readers feel compelled to thrash. But then I asked around. From Jesus Ortiz at the Houston Chronicle to Michael J. Lewis at the Daytona Beach Daily News to Dave Sheinin at the Washington Post, there is universal agreement that things somehow crossed a line. That journalists have gone from dispensers of information to receptacles for venom.

These days, whether a columnist opines on the Lakers dynasty or the Nets putridity, whether he/she tells the story of an athlete overcoming cancer or an athlete rotting in a jail cell, the aftermath is rarely good. When Ortiz wrote a piece on the Mexican national team coming to Texas before the World Cup, he found his mailbox littered with racist e-mails. "Everybody wants to let you know how they feel," Ortiz says. "It seems as if they don't mind expressing their anger." When Lewis penned a handful of local high school girls basketball stories, he received a three-page letter from a player's grandmother. "It was so nasty and no abusive," says Lewis, "that the woman's son sent me a letter apologizing for his mom's note."

With rare exception, the notes are anonymous. And grammatically inept. And some sort of cry for help/loneliness/meaning.

They also happen to be deliciously ironic: While the crazy sports fanatic seems to believe everything that matters in life involves a ball and a watery cup of beer, most writers are just the opposite. We dig sports, embrace sports, devote our lives to covering sports. But come day's end, 99 percent of us are able to step away and, oh, watch a movie. The same goes for players. Yes, Derek Jeter loves the Yankees and wants the Yankees to win and plays his heart out. But does he ream out the reporter who dares ask him a tough question? Never. He moves on, grabs some dinner and heads home after the game for the latest episode of Entourage and a good night's sleep.
Maybe you should, too.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jeff_pearlman/08/06/angry.fans/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0w8TDJUf4

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 05:11 PM
ROFL

Did this hit a bit close to home for some on CP?

The Franchise
08-09-2010, 05:15 PM
ROFL

No....I think everyone just has you on Ignore.

Brock
08-09-2010, 05:16 PM
cliffs: People on the internet are mean!

ModSocks
08-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Yet I'm willing to bet the majority of the people that would read his column are the people he's talking shit about. Ironic huh?

Reaper16
08-09-2010, 05:17 PM
OF COURSE Zach would like this drivel.

Bugeater
08-09-2010, 05:25 PM
What a whiny bitch.

RealSNR
08-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I got made fun of on the internet! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!1111

ChiefsCountry
08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
OF COURSE Zach would like this drivel.

No shit
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
08-09-2010, 05:58 PM
ROFL

Asks the guy with 32000+ posts on a Chiefs message board....

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Asks the guy with 32000+ posts on a Chiefs message board....

That has taken about a decade to get. The only thing more automatic than me being the one posting this article and thinking it is hilarious is people coming out against it. Draft and game thread titans the lot of you. :LOL:

tk13
08-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I think this has little to do with sports and everything to do with the internet age. Doesn't matter if it's news, sports, entertainment, anything really. Much less tact and much easier to shoot off an angry email than write a letter and run down to the post office.

Ebolapox
08-09-2010, 06:03 PM
seriously, zach. this appears a bit douchy on your part.

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:03 PM
seriously, zach. this appears a bit douchy on your part.

LMAO

Deberg_1990
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I think this has little to do with sports and everything to do with the internet age.

Pretty much....How did fans kneejerk and overeact before talk radio and the internet??

Ebolapox
08-09-2010, 06:05 PM
glad you got a giggle out of it.

is there anything wrong with passion?

RealSNR
08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
They also happen to be deliciously ironic: While the crazy sports fanatic seems to believe everything that matters in life involves a ball and a watery cup of beer, most writers are just the opposite. We dig sports, embrace sports, devote our lives to covering sports. But come day's end, 99 percent of us are able to step away and, oh, watch a movie. The same goes for players. Yes, Derek Jeter loves the Yankees and wants the Yankees to win and plays his heart out. But does he ream out the reporter who dares ask him a tough question? Never. He moves on, grabs some dinner and heads home after the game for the latest episode of Entourage and a good night's sleep.
Maybe you should, too.
Umm, this guy is making the point that people that rely on sports for a living have a release from their jobs at the end of the day.

What about the people who do ACTUAL work for a living? The people that don't have the cushy job of writing about sports. Their work lives aren't centered around sports in the least bit. Assumedly people that get done with their non-sports-related work at the end of the day have enough energy to passionately follow sports, yes? They're not surrounded by it at all, so their break from work IS sports.

This guy seems to be shooting himself in the foot with that last paragraph

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Chiefsplanet is the sports equivalent of Democratic Underground and Free Republic in politics.

Don't get me wrong. I love a lot of the folks here and the free wheeling nature of the place. I have been as much a part of this as anyone. But I am not sure how someone could say straight faced that the message board sports fan\sports talk radio types don't have a serious lack of perspective.

Reaper16
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Chiefsplanet is the sports equivalent of Democratic Underground and Free Republic in politics.

Don't get me wrong. I love a lot of the folks here and the free wheeling nature of the place. I have been as much a part of this as anyone. But I am not sure how someone could say straight faced that the message board sports fan\sports talk radio types don't have a serious lack of perspective.
http://www.gospelcity.com/image.php?imageID=28354

the Talking Can
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
hey look, Zach showed up to tell us all how awesome he is.........again........

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:11 PM
hey look, Zach showed up to tell us all how awesome he is.........again........

How awesome I am?

I seriously don't get it at all. I am not above anything. I am a part of this community as well.

Bugeater
08-09-2010, 06:12 PM

I am one of those types and I've never even considered firing back at any media member. This is another case of an entire group of people being stereotyped because of what the fringe element does.

Deberg_1990
08-09-2010, 06:13 PM
How awesome I am?

Maybe you dont mean to, but you come off quite condescending at times.

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
http://www.gospelcity.com/image.php?imageID=28354

Surely this is a representation of you having to put up with being a fan of your NCAA championship wielding football team.

Bugeater
08-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I mean seriously, this guy writes for Sports Freaking Illustrated. How many people normally read his articles...a few million? Even if he gets 100 nasty emails in response to it, that's only a tiny fraction of the readers...he can **** off and go get a real job.

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I mean seriously, this guy writes for Sports Freaking Illustrated. How many people normally read his articles...a few million? Even if he gets 100 nasty emails in response to it, that's only a tiny fraction of the readers...he can **** off and go get a real job. JFC

What isn't real about his job? He probably did a lot to earn it. There are all kinds of assholes that want to do something like write for SI.

"We have just as perspective as anyone! Fuck off and get a real job!"
ROFL

Reaper16
08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Surely this is a representation of you having to put up with being a fan of your NCAA championship wielding football team.
You don't want to return to that conversation. ;) You mischaracterized me the first time and you never posted to that conversation again after I pointed out how you were misunderstanding things. More than a year later you brought up the same conversation again as if you weren't pwned, and then when I pointed out what I had pointed out before you never posted to that second conversation ever again. You should probably stop forgetting that you erred re: that conversation.

P.S. the perception that you only posted this thread to show off how better or more "awesome" you are than the rest of us is based in the rhetoric used. Maybe you didn't actually intend it that way but that's just how it comes off.

Brock
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
"Stop caring so much".

Bugeater
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
What isn't real about his job? He probably did a lot to earn it. There are all kinds of assholes that want to do something like write for SI.

"We have just as perspective as anyone! **** off and get a real job!"
ROFL
Apparently you do indeed want this to get personal, so how about you fuck off and go get a real job as well?

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
You don't want to return to that conversation. ;) You mischaracterized me the first time and you never posted to that conversation again after I pointed out how you were misunderstanding things. More than a year later you brought up the same conversation again as if you weren't pwned, and then when I pointed out what I had pointed out before you never posted to that second conversation ever again.

P.S. the perception that you only posted this thread to show off how better or more "awesome" you are than the rest of us is based in the rhetoric used. Maybe you didn't actually intend it that way but that's just how it comes off.
You were crying about having to be a fan of that team, because thats all you guys know how to do. Cry and second guess people.

Frazod
08-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Great, another one of Zach's menstrual fests. I guess I'll need to grab some of my wife's pads and line the bottom of my monitor.

Seriously, Zach, what happened to you? Did a runaway rottweiler bite your nuts off while you were jogging or something? Jesus. :shake:

Reaper16
08-09-2010, 06:24 PM
You were crying about having to be a fan of that team, because thats all you guys know how to do. Cry and second guess people.
Yup. Exactly how it went down.

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Great, another one of Zach's menstrual fests. I guess I'll need to grab some of my wife's pads and line the bottom of my monitor.

Seriously, Zach, what happened to you? Did a runaway rottweiler bite your nuts off while you were jogging or something? Jesus. :shake:

Have you wife do it herself. Seems she has a whole lot of free time on her hands.

Frazod
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Have you wife do it herself. Seems she has a whole lot of free time on her hands.

What's that supposed to mean, Zackipoo?

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:32 PM
What's that supposed to mean, Zackipoo?

It really doesn't get any more simplistic than the way I explained it.

Frazod
08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
It really doesn't get any more simplistic than the way I explained it.

C'mon, you pathetic cunt. If you're going to climb down that final rung into the SkipTowne/failpass level and take pot shots at family members, don't hold back, run with it. Let's see what you've got, sweetie.

Pablo
08-09-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm pretty much past calling anyone an idiot or fuckwad for their posts on this BB.

Except for you Mizzou fans, you're a bunch of idiotic fuckwads.

Reaper16
08-09-2010, 06:37 PM
He's just flipping you shit, frazod. I wish he'd flip me shit back. Shit flipping is fun. All I get is lying/historical revision.

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
C'mon, you pathetic ****. If you're going to climb down that final rung into the SkipTowne/failpass level and take pot shots at family members, don't hold back, run with it. Let's see what you've got, sweetie.

I don't have what it takes out anger you in a thread. I concede.

Frazod
08-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Getting all worked up in threads is your game not mine.

Okay, Zackipoo. I hope I didn't upset you or anything. Perhaps your boyfriend will give you a reacharound tonight.

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Okay, Zackipoo. I hope I didn't upset you or anything. Perhaps your boyfriend will give you a reacharound tonight.

Yes. That.

RealSNR
08-09-2010, 07:04 PM

"We have just as perspective as anyone! Fuck off and get a real job!"
ROFLAnd that's it. There ARE all kinds of assholes that would kill to write for SI. And guess what: they wouldn't give a shit if they received a few pieces of hatemail here and there. And they DEFINITELY wouldn't write an article about it.

Pablo
08-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Y IS THAR SO MUCH HATE IN THE MU KINGDOM???

THOT Y'ALL WERE LIKE BRUTHAZ N SHIT.

Reaper16
08-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Mods? Dane?

1ChiefsDan
08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Mods? Dane?LMFAO for the cross thread postROFL

Ebolapox
08-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I gotta say... this went over like a fart in the wind. far cry from the days when you were CP's vice president, eh zach?

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 08:58 PM
I gotta say... this went over like a fart in the wind. far cry from the days when you were CP's vice president, eh zach?

I will let the hens in the henhouse worry about popularity. I just post what I think.

Frazod
08-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I will let the hens in the henhouse worry about popularity. I just post what I think.

I guess when everybody thinks you've degenerated into a complete douche, it's easier to not worry about being liked.

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 09:05 PM
I guess when everybody thinks you've degenerated into a complete douche, it's easier to not worry about being liked.

I guess you will just have to add me to long list of things you won't get over. LMAO

teedubya
08-09-2010, 09:44 PM
It's hard being a fan, sometimes, guys. :-) Especially after KU tournament losses. lol

Ebolapox
08-09-2010, 09:58 PM
It's hard being a fan, sometimes, guys. :-) Especially after KU tournament losses. lol

funny, I find those some of the best times of my life :)

Demonpenz
08-09-2010, 10:04 PM
picking up chicks and lying on Football BB, now there is someone that we desperately need in the world.

Frazod
08-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I guess you will just have to add me to long list of things you won't get over. LMAO

Says the guy who keeps editing his posts, because, well, I guess you just have to get that perfect (in your mind?) shot in.

As for getting over you, I just think it's sad that you woke up one day and decided to become DEnise. Other than that, you're just a pathetic turd I met a couple of times years ago. Sorry to disappoint you.

jspchief
08-09-2010, 10:39 PM
I love when sports media talks about fans being too fanatical. Never mind that such extreme levels of interest are what create the plethora of sports media jobs in the first place.

You don't want readers/viewers/listeners that care so much? Go be a weatherman.

Psyko Tek
08-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Pretty much....How did fans kneejerk and overeact before talk radio and the internet??

at a bar
and they may have got punched for it

no such deterrent here

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Says the guy who keeps editing his posts, because, well, I guess you just have to get that perfect (in your mind?) shot in.

As for getting over you, I just think it's sad that you woke up one day and decided to become DEnise. Other than that, you're just a pathetic turd I met a couple of times years ago. Sorry to disappoint you.

Shame, no more crying from you how YOU THOT WE WAZ FRIENDZZZ...BAWWWW
LMAO

Frazod
08-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Shame, no more crying from you how YOU THOT WE WAZ FRIENDZZZ...BAWWWW
LMAO

While you, as in all things, dramatically overstate your level of importance to, well, pretty much everybody, I will say that the number of PM and rep comments I've received basically wondering "When did Zach become such a piece of shit?" would surprise you. It's not like I'm the only one who's noticed your descent into becoming a manhater.

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 11:22 PM
While you, as in all things, dramatically overstate your level of importance to, well, pretty much everybody, I will say that the number of PM and rep comments I've received basically wondering "When did Zach become such a piece of shit?" would surprise you. It's not like I'm the only one who's noticed your descent into becoming a manhater.

Then go ahead and spend time talking over it with the other girls in your knitting circle. Whatever you do don't ask me how much I care, because you are going to be disappointed.

Frazod
08-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Then go ahead and spend time talking over it with the other girls in your knitting circle. Whatever you do don't ask me how much I care, because you are going to be disappointed.

Then maybe you should stop quoting me, sweetpea. Or can you just not quit me?

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Then maybe you should stop quoting me, sweetpea. Or can you just not quit me?

Why would I do that...you proving me right time again about you not being able to get over...well...pretty much anything. ROFL

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=6925697#post6925697