PDA

View Full Version : Music Van Halen to release new Album with Roth as frontman

Pages : [1] 2

Deberg_1990
08-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Nice....now all we need is for Axl and Slash to kiss and makeup.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/247834/van-halen-recording-first-album-since-clinton-administration/

The news that Van Halen is recording its first studio album in twelve years with original lead singer David Lee Roth may have fans wanting to, well, jump. It has certainly been a long wait since 1998's "Van Halen III." Speculation of a recorded reunion has been thrown around since 2008, when Van Halen completed a successful reunion tour that featured original frontman David Lee Roth with the band for the first time since the 1984 Tour (plus a brief appearance at the 1996 MTV Music Awards)..

That much-anticipated new album has now been confirmed: Guitarist Eddie Van Halen and his brother, drummer Alex Van Halen, released a statement saying, "[Van Halen] is currently in the studio recording an album with Roth that is due for release in 2011.".

If that wasn't enough good news for VH fans, the new album is expected to be accompanied by a world tour..

Some fans, however, may still be disappointed considering that a full reunion of the original lineup remains so elusive. .

It's been a tumultuous partnership, to say the least, for Van Halen and Roth over the years. It's a relationship that has left fans with a sense of frustration that continues today. The history of the band plays out almost as a bad soap opera. It started in 1985 when, after 13 years, clashing egos led to the departure of Roth -- who went on to a semi-successful solo career -- and the beginning of a new era for Van Halen: new lead singer Sammy Hagar..

The band continued to flourish with Hagar as the lead - a rare feat for a band to lose such a key member and retain its relevance -- with some fans even preferring the more rocking style of Hagar over the flamboyant glam act of David Lee Roth. In 1996, Roth returned to record two songs with Van Halen for a greatest hits compilation. He was soon replaced (again), this time by former Extreme lead singer Gary Cherone, who lasted all of one album, Van Halen's last. (The band did reunite with Hagar for a 2003 tour.).

When David Lee Roth returned to Van Halen for his first full tour since the "1984" album, fans were joyous to finally see a reunion of the four original members. Well, like pretty much everything else involving the band, nothing's ever easy - the full reunion never happened. As David Lee Roth returned, longtime bassist Michael Anthony was passed over in favor of Eddie Van Halen's son, Wolfgang. Wolfgang will be the bassist on the new album as well. Anthony is currently the bassist for Chickenfoot, whose lead singer is, of course, Sammy Hagar

Gonzo
08-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh hai! Time to get the sleeveless concert t-shirt, mullet and 6 pack of Milwaukee's best outta storage.
Posted via Mobile Device

|Zach|
08-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Nice....now all we need is for Axl and Slash to kiss and makeup.

You know, I never heard about how they broke up. Did those two have a falling out?

Ebolapox
08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
You know, I never heard about how they broke up. Did those two have a falling out?

you could say that. I'd say that axl was an egotistical prick.

|Zach|
you could say that. I'd say that axl was an egotistical prick.

I just assumed the lifestyle wore all of them down.

Bane
FAIL.

big nasty kcnut
08-09-2010, 09:31 PM
It's awesome i miss listening to good hard rock. no disrespect to hard rock right now but van halen really rock my world.

Ebolapox
08-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I just assumed the lifestyle wore all of them down.

eh, I'll get you a link. frontmen generally have an ego behind them, but axl was out of his goddamned mind.

Reerun_KC
08-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Bring back Hagar!!!!!!! Nah nevermind... Chickenfoot is pretty kick ass...

teedubya
08-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Bring back Nuno Betancourt!!

Bugeater
08-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Meh...dumping David "Look at me" Roth was the best thing they ever did, Van Halen had grown stale by then anyway. 1984 was a horrible album.

Ebolapox
08-09-2010, 09:56 PM
can't find any specific links corroborating what I've read over the years.

summarizing and paraphrasing events that I wasn't personally there to witness, the word was that he was hell to work with... he was constantly at least an hour late (to practice AND gigs/shows), a noted perfectionist who constantly was getting onto others if he thought their work wasn't good enough (even IF the rest of the band thought it was perfect already), and I've even read in a FEW places (though this was only in two specific articles, and the one that I'm not sure I believe), he supposedly was shitty to slash because slash is half black.

once more, the last one is purely hearsay (I believe I read it in Circus magazine around 1997), but the others are widely circulated.

Consistent1
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Bring back Nuno Betancourt!!

Bring back Scanlon....oh shit, wrong thread....but still...

Pioli Zombie
08-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Meh...dumping David "Look at me" Roth was the best thing they ever did, Van Halen had grown stale by then anyway. 1984 was a horrible album.
I heard you molested your first little boy to "Hot For Teacher"

08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Bring back Scanlon....oh shit, wrong thread....but still...Scanlon never left. His powers include invisibility so he could just hide his awesomeness from the Chiefs masses for a bit.

Demonpenz
08-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I pulled a hamstring doing scissor kick in 6th grade

DaneMcCloud
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM
I'll believe it when I hear it.

I'm not stating that it's not going to happen, but I've certainly been hearing that it's the same old shit: Eddie gets frustrated with Dave, walks out, etc.

They're like oil and vinegar but they do make a great dressing.

I hope it happens but I'm skeptical. Although with a sober Eddie, they have a better chance of completing the record than with the drunk buttwipe Eddie.

shitgoose
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM
fuck van halen. my hatred for them runs far deeper than my hatred for the kicker who shall not be named.

DaneMcCloud
08-09-2010, 10:18 PM
fuck van halen. my hatred for them runs far deeper than my hatred for the kicker who shall not be named.

Aww, did David Lee Roth fuck your mom?

shitgoose
08-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Aww, did David Lee Roth **** your mom?

not even close dane mccloud. not even

Ebolapox
08-09-2010, 10:23 PM
I'll believe it when I hear it.

I'm not stating that it's not going to happen, but I've certainly been hearing that it's the same old shit: Eddie gets frustrated with Dave, walks out, etc.

They're like oil and vinegar but they do make a great dressing.

I hope it happens but I'm skeptical. Although with a sober Eddie, they have a better chance of completing the record than with the drunk buttwipe Eddie.

JUST the poster to pique my memory. what was up with the nontechnical breakup of GNR? was it axl being a dick, or was it other, extenuating circumstances?

DaneMcCloud
08-09-2010, 10:30 PM
JUST the poster to pique my memory. what was up with the nontechnical breakup of GNR? was it axl being a dick, or was it other, extenuating circumstances?

It wasn't so much as Axl's fault as it was the entire band's fault.

They were ALL using very heavily (and by using, I mean heroin). They couldn't keep their shit straight from one day to the next. Matt was always at odds with Axl, Izzy bailed (who IMO, WAS GNR) and Slash & Duff didn't give a fuck anymore.

Same shit happened with Velvet Revolver. Slash fell off the wagon but since he, Matt and Duff were tight, it all became Weiland's fault. Now that he's clean again, he's taking responsibility for the breakup and he and Weiland are "friends" again.

Duff was so totally fucked up in the 80's and early 90's, so I'm surprised he's the one that's best the most active. The dude is completely clean and has been forever it seems. He's in great shape, write a column in the Seattle Times about music and just joined Jane's Addiction.

Axl's last "GNR" album is pretty much all him. It's where he wanted to go musically. Izzy, Slash & Duff couldn't have been a part of that sound, so the breakup was inevitable.

But to answer your question, Axl is not different than Tyler or Plant or Cornell or Staley or Delp or any number of "lead" singers. They all suffer from the same thing:

LSD.

Lead Singer's Disease.

Aries Walker
08-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Lead Singer's Disease.
Why I Like Iron Maiden, Exhibit A. Bruce Dickinson, still going strong.

Ebolapox
08-09-2010, 10:41 PM
It wasn't so much as Axl's fault as it was the entire band's fault.

They were ALL using very heavily (and by using, I mean heroin). They couldn't keep their shit straight from one day to the next. Matt was always at odds with Axl, Izzy bailed (who IMO, WAS GNR) and Slash & Duff didn't give a fuck anymore.

Same shit happened with Velvet Revolver. Slash fell off the wagon but since he, Matt and Duff were tight, it all became Weiland's fault. Now that he's clean again, he's taking responsibility for the breakup and he and Weiland are "friends" again.

Duff was so totally fucked up in the 80's and early 90's, so I'm surprised he's the one that's best the most active. The dude is completely clean and has been forever it seems. He's in great shape, write a column in the Seattle Times about music and just joined Jane's Addiction.

Axl's last "GNR" album is pretty much all him. It's where he wanted to go musically. Izzy, Slash & Duff couldn't have been a part of that sound, so the breakup was inevitable.

But to answer your question, Axl is not different than Tyler or Plant or Cornell or Staley or Delp or any number of "lead" singers. They all suffer from the same thing:

LSD.

Lead Singer's Disease.

sweet, thanks. I know I've also heard that axl had really gotten into some trouble with the record company over a TON of expenses in the making of chinese democracy. apparently he blew a TON of money on an old gibson les paul (renting it at something like 100k a month, for literally a few years--and it just sat there unused for months on end) just because it had the tone he wanted.

Ebolapox
08-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Why I Like Iron Maiden, Exhibit A. Bruce Dickinson, still going strong.

yes, THE bruce dickinson. he puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like you. except when his pants ARE on, he makes gold records.

Frazod
08-09-2010, 10:51 PM
They lost me after kicking Sammy and Mike to the curb and releasing that sick abortion of an album with Gary Cherone. No interest in anything Eddie or Dave do again, whether it's together or not.

08-09-2010, 10:56 PM
They lost me after kicking Sammy and Mike to the curb and releasing that sick abortion of an album with Gary Cherone. No interest in anything Eddie or Dave do again, whether it's together or not.You would have thought that Eddie was sitting on a toilet when he penned the songs for that album. Oh, wait!!! He was.:shake:

DaneMcCloud
08-09-2010, 10:59 PM
sweet, thanks. I know I've also heard that axl had really gotten into some trouble with the record company over a TON of expenses in the making of chinese democracy. apparently he blew a TON of money on an old gibson les paul (renting it at something like 100k a month, for literally a few years--and it just sat there unused for months on end) just because it had the tone he wanted.

That may make for a good story but it's not true. I know plenty of folks over at Geffen (now Uni) and if that had been true, people would have been blabbing about it Happy Hour.

But, he did spend about $12 million on the making of "Chinese Democracy" and believe it or not, the label made their money back and then some.

Oh, and then there's "A Perfect Circle".

LMAO

jAZ
08-10-2010, 12:22 AM
25 years too late to matter.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 12:26 AM

No

big nasty kcnut
08-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Bugeater how dare you sir. lol j/k but i can't wait for this album.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 01:07 AM

Bugeater's just on edge because the new Duran Duran drops tomorrow.

Give him a break, Dude.

Third Eye
08-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Oh, and then there's "A Perfect Circle".

LMAO

Care to expound?

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Care to expound?

The debut "A Perfect Circle" record was written and recorded while the "Chinese Democracy" sessions were supposed to be happening.

They did the album on Geffen's dime yet signed a $3 million dollar deal for their first record with Virgin.

Total freebie, right under Axl's and Geffen's nose.

Third Eye
08-10-2010, 01:47 AM
The debut "A Perfect Circle" record was written and recorded while the "Chinese Democracy" sessions were supposed to be happening.

They did the album on Geffen's dime yet signed a $3 million dollar deal for their first record with Virgin.

Ha! Now that is funny.

Saccopoo
08-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Beck and Dave Lee are dating.

I read about it in the Enquirer.

Saccopoo
08-10-2010, 01:59 AM

You're talking about the band "A Perfect Circle," correct? The JMK side project?

And on a side note, has it been five years? Isn't it about time for a new Tool album? I'm wondering who is the greatest "less than five records bands with the most lip service - Jane's Addiction or Tool?"

Mojo Jojo
08-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Ah, can't you see me standin' here
I got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen
Ah, can't you see what I mean?

Ah
Might as well jump
(Jump)
Might as well jump
Go ahead an' jump
(Jump)
Go ahead and jump

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 04:41 AM
It is what it is... if you're a fan of the original lineup, this is likely news you want to hear. Are they exactly what they used to be? No, but does it matter? Just enjoy it.

I saw them on the last tour and I thought they did a great job... it's not Dave of 1981, but that's fine. Yes, it sucks that Michael Anthony has been replaced by Eddie's chunky son with a goofy name, but it's ok.

Pushead2
08-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Dear Eddie, please melt people's faces again on this record like in the past...thanks. Love, Steve.

blaise
08-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Maybe they can play Jeff Spicoli's birthday party again.

Bugeater
08-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Hey I liked their earlier stuff, but at the time replacing Dave with Sammy was a much needed change.

Gadzooks
08-10-2010, 05:27 AM
If "Me Wise Magic" was any indication, it should be pretty good.

InChiefsHeaven
08-10-2010, 05:31 AM

You are going to hell.

InChiefsHeaven
08-10-2010, 05:37 AM
BTW, I'm a big Roth fan. So there's that. Sammy was and is great, but Dave is the consummate front man. The Gary Sharone incident...well, I choose to not even remember that.

Bugeater
08-10-2010, 05:46 AM
You are going to hell.
Yep, in about 15 minutes.

Nzoner
08-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Hey I liked their earlier stuff, but at the time replacing Dave with Sammy was a much needed change.

Personally,I never got into Van Hagar,I do love Sammy with Montrose and a lot of his solo work but when it comes to Van Halen I'll take DLR even at his worst.

Over-Head
08-10-2010, 07:29 AM
So, the guitar god Eddy, and his brother have finally managed to destroy theri careers to teh point they needed DLR to come back for a $$$ grab album.

Eddy was to me (like many) one of my main influences as a lead player, up to the point finger nerve damage saw me switch from Lead guitar to drums..
His talents and "inventions" for helping to re-shape the sound of 80's/90's rock are far to many to list, as his accomplishments in the music business.
Having said that,
I think he's a total douch for working so damn hard to make it, then blow of his induction to the R&R Hall of fame
Come on, if Morten Downey can make a movie, he could accecpt an award.
Not like he hasn't hit a stage bagged out or strung out before :rolleyes:
Loved their music, still do, but very slowly over time IMO I saw Eddy and boys for what they were.
Egotistical bitch musicians with a whole bunch of talent, very little class, and even less respect for their fans.
But hey, their rich, then can afford to be right?

Who knows what realy happened to DLR and Sammy, (but funny thing was both had different reasons for leaving VH, both saying basically the same thing about Ed, while he said the exact same recycled garbage about Sammy he said years eairler about Dave. )

Who really cares anyway, as long as what ever they put out beats that dismal attempt of an Album Ed tried pushing out with Garry Scharone (sp) a few years back, when Sammy went in the studio and banged out another great Sammy Hager album.

Years ago I wore out VH albums & tapes listning to them, can't honestly say if I ever listened to VH3 more than twice. Still love the band, and hope they can re-capture the magic, but it ain't gonna happen with Wolfie on Bass

Hell when Warner Brothers dropped them from their label that should have said something.

Brock
08-10-2010, 07:38 AM

ROFL Yeah, it probably won't sell very well. :rolleyes:

Over-Head
08-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Personally,I never got into Van Hagar,I do love Sammy with Montrose and a lot of his solo work but when it comes to Van Halen I'll take DLR even at his worst.

Ever hear the song "Amnesty is granted" he (Sammy) did as a guest appearance with Meatloaf ?
One of my fave Meatloaf songs, just love the guitar hook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4F3HPxy0l8

Over-Head
08-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Ever hear the song "Amnesty is granted" he (Sammy) did as a guest appearance with Meatloaf ?

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 09:29 AM
BTW, I'm a big Roth fan. So there's that. Sammy was and is great, but Dave is the consummate front man. The Gary Sharone incident...well, I choose to not even remember that.

Bingo.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 09:32 AM
One other thing... Dave is no longer wild frontman that he was back in the day, but they still put on a great show. Are they doing it for the money? Sure... but, they're also giving their true hardcore fans what they want. A new album and a new tour. The band made $93M playing 74 shows in the last tour... so yeah, they want more and I don't blame them.

Take it for what it is... if you don't like it, that's fine... they're not targeting you.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 11:41 AM
You're talking about the band "A Perfect Circle," correct? The JMK side project?

And on a side note, has it been five years? Isn't it about time for a new Tool album? I'm wondering who is the greatest "less than five records bands with the most lip service - Jane's Addiction or Tool?"

A Perfect Circle has a new album in the works. I haven't heard a peep about a new Tool record.

Jane's Addiction will have a new record out later this year, with Duff McKagan replacing Steven Avery. It should rock.

Bowser
08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Eddie Trunk said on his satellite show that Eddie wasn't interested in making new music, because apparently Eddie feels nobody wants to hear new music from the "older" bands anymore. The fans just want to hear a greatest hits compillation and hit the toilet when new stuff gets played. Trunk went on to say that's the reason Iron Maiden doesn't tour too often in the states - because they are dedicated to sticking with their new material, and have no interest in playing Number of the Beast and The Trooper over and over and over......

Bowser
08-10-2010, 11:49 AM
That being said, I'd still look forward to a new Van Halen album if they ever decided to put one out.....

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Eddie Trunk said on his satellite show that Eddie wasn't interested in making new music, because apparently Eddie feels nobody wants to hear new music from the "older" bands anymore. The fans just want to hear a greatest hits compillation and hit the toilet when new stuff gets played. Trunk went on to say that's the reason Iron Maiden doesn't tour too often in the states - because they are dedicated to sticking with their new material, and have no interest in playing Number of the Beast and The Trooper over and over and over......

That's what makes this report even more curious because I've heard the same thing. He's not interested in writing and recording a new album but "claims" to have tons of riffs and songs ready to go.

I don't buy it. It's been more than a decade since the last Van Halen release and if Eddie was writing as he says, there would be hundreds of tracks in the vault just waiting for a singer to write lyrics and melodies.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 12:14 PM
I would concur with that thought... I think there is a 'small market' of VH fans (hell, any of the older bands) that are really anxious to hear new music. I think many of them (I'm partially in this group) would compare it to the older music unfairly.

I believe that Tom Keifer (Cinderella) made a similar remark regarding touring a few years ago. The majority of people that want to see those bands (late 70s and 80s) are now in their mid 30s and late 40s and really want to experience a 'throwback' moment when they see those bands live.

And, I wouldn't doubt that Eddie has a boat load of new music that has been written... now, they've done the greatest hits thing before with a few new tracks, they would lose a bit of steam in my opinion if they did something similar on this album. I think he would love to make a new album with all new songs, but I think he realizes that a lot of fans aren't necessarily craving that and maybe he fears failure. But, we'll see.

I will certainly buy an all-new VH album, but a tour would be a failure if it wasn't 80% old stuff.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 12:15 PM
And, I wouldn't doubt that Eddie has a boat load of new music that has been written...

I do

The Franchise
08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
A Perfect Circle has a new album in the works.

Can't fucking wait.

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I would concur with that thought... I think there is a 'small market' of VH fans (hell, any of the older bands) that are really anxious to hear new music. I think many of them (I'm partially in this group) would compare it to the older music unfairly.

I believe that Tom Keifer (Cinderella) made a similar remark regarding touring a few years ago. The majority of people that want to see those bands (late 70s and 80s) are now in their mid 30s and late 40s and really want to experience a 'throwback' moment when they see those bands live.

And, I wouldn't doubt that Eddie has a boat load of new music that has been written... now, they've done the greatest hits thing before with a few new tracks, they would lose a bit of steam in my opinion if they did something similar on this album. I think he would love to make a new album with all new songs, but I think he realizes that a lot of fans aren't necessarily craving that and maybe he fears failure. But, we'll see.

I will certainly buy an all-new VH album, but a tour would be a failure if it wasn't 80% old stuff.

This is why we have went to 5 billions concerts over the last 4 years. Trying to catch that magic that I missed when I was younger and couldnt go... Cool that I got to share it with my kids though...

The new music is good from these guys, but they are missing the ambiance that made them great or memorable. Plus they are passing on the ballad as well.. Sometimes the ballad defined that moment in time or sold you into the aurora of that band....

JMO>...

BigChiefFan
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM

If "Me Wise Magic" is an indication of what they can do, I welcome all new tunes. Another greatest hits would be a big heaping scoop of fail in my book.

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
A Perfect Circle has a new album in the works. I haven't heard a peep about a new Tool record.

Jane's Addiction will have a new record out later this year, with Duff McKagan replacing Steven Avery. It should rock.

No offense? But who? I honestly have never heard of this band.....

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Another thing to consider... the last album with Dave was "Best of... Volume 1"

So, maybe the next one is Volume 2 (hopefully they would find a better name). Let's review the track listing...

Eruption / Aint Talkin Bout Love / Runnin With The Devil / Dance the Night Away / And the Cradle Will Rock / Jump / Panama

Those were 8 original VH tunes, followed by 7 from the Van Hagar era.

If you had 15 songs on it and 9 were new - I'm satisfied. I liked the two new songs (at the time) from that album (see below).

There are still a number of old VH songs that they could release on a Volume 2 (not repeating Volume1) and generate great interest.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pA-DmFtryFY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pA-DmFtryFY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3HHQ11HOZwM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3HHQ11HOZwM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 12:24 PM
During this last tour - they were hardcore old school Van Halen... they didn't play the 2 songs in the previous post (at least not in Dallas). So, I think they discovered a few things...

1 - They can co-exist with Dave on a North American 74 show tour
2 - They can make a boat load of money and the fans loved it
3 - Eddie is clean and sober (cross fingers) and everyone plays nice
4 - Wolfgang is Anthony-Lite, but he's still good
5 - The fans want more

BigChiefFan
08-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Michael Anthony gave alot of cool backup vocals, which helped with "the VH sound." I'm not sure Wolfie can pull it off.

MOhillbilly
08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
1st tape i ever bought was 1984. 1st concert was monsters of rock in 88'.

I love VH but you can never go back.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Michael Anthony gave alot of cool backup vocals, which helped with "the VH sound." I'm not sure Wolfie can pull it off.

He can't replace Anthony, the harmonies are definitely going to be missed on the new tracks (unless they have someone singing backup), but overall he doesn't distract from the show or the sound. But, he's certainly not Michael Anthony on stage...

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
1st tape i ever bought was 1984. 1st concert was monsters of rock in 88'.

I love VH but you can never go back.

Agreed, but I don't know that they're going back... if they were, they'd be swinging from the rafters and Dave would wear 10 types of spandex and seatless chaps on stage. I think they can try to recreate the aura... and they can be successful, granted nothing like they were, but still ... is that really what the fans want? If so, that's an unrealistic request.

Oh and my first album was KISS 'Love Gun'.

Bugeater
08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Well god forbid they play the songs that made them who they are...

Nevertheless, they are right about what the people want, a couple of my friends went to a Black Crows concert recently, and apparently those fuggers were hell bent on pushing their new album and didn't play any of their hits from the 90s. Needless to say, the crowd wasn't very pleased.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Sometimes the ballad defined that moment in time or sold you into the aurora of that band....

JMO>...

The what?

What you're missing is youthful exuberance. As far as new music, the key element that's missing in Cinderella is producer Andy Johns.

Cinderella would have been just another hair band without him.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Nevertheless, they are right about what the people want, a couple of my friends went to a Black Crows concert recently, and apparently those fuggers were hell bent on pushing their new album and didn't play any of their hits from the 90s. Needless to say, the crowd wasn't very pleased.

Yeah and unless I'm missing it (listen to lots of talk radio now), the new stuff from the old bands are not getting a lot of radio play... unless it's mixed in with one of those hair metal shows. So, fans aren't hearing the new stuff before the show and it's kinda hard to rock out to stuff that you haven't heard before...

And, again... the people going to see VH and the Black Crowes, well they're not young new listeners. KISS is selling out shows all over (still) and guess what - it's the same old formula. If you think it's tired and lame, you're not going - but there are a ton that are going and they love it.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 12:42 PM
No offense? But who? I honestly have never heard of this band.....

LMAO

Why am I not surprised?

A Perfect Circle is made up several very well known and well-respected musicians and songwriters and have sold more than 10 million copies worldwide.

Billy Howerdel founded the band (Billy was Billy Corgan's guitar tech and also appeared on several of the unreleased new Guns 'N Roses tracks). Maynard from Tool is on vocals, drummer extraordinaire Josh Freese on drums (also on the new GNR record), Geordie White from Marilyn Mansion and Troy from Failure.

It's very artistic, nearing prog-rock. Both albums are beyond excellent but it's a far cry from 80's hair band music.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 12:42 PM
The what?

What you're missing is youthful exuberance. As far as new music, the key element that's missing in Cinderella is producer Andy Johns.

Cinderella would have been just another hair band without him.

Cinderella set themselves apart (to me) by a wide margin compared to their peers in that era. I don't know the producer you reference, but if he's responsible for their sound and the songs they recorded - kudos.

They also had a great stage show.... Dokken could have used a guy like Andy Johns, that's one band that should have been a lot better. Tesla is another one that came along (during the GnR rise) that I loved from that time in music.

MOhillbilly
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
so dane you dont think eddie has any 'melt your face' riffs in the mix? really?

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Cinderella set themselves apart (to me) by a wide margin compared to their peers in that era. I don't know the producer you reference, but if he's responsible for their sound and the songs they recorded - kudos.

They also had a great stage show.... Dokken could have used a guy like Andy Johns, that's one band that should have been a lot better. Tesla is another one that came along (during the GnR rise) that I loved from that time in music.

Tesla and Dokken both put on great shows...

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't know why anyone would think he doesn't have a lot of new material...

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 12:47 PM

I can understand why the crowd wasn't pleased but anyone that follows the Black Crowes should know that's their M.O.

There are two distinctly different types of concert goers:

1. The type that goes to see a band perform their "hit" songs.
2. The type that loves all of a band's music and is more interested in their non-hits than the hit.

My wife and I saw Bowie at the Greek Theater a few years back. It was fucking phenomenal. Much of what he played was from his early days, including several songs off of Ziggy Stardust and The Man Who Sold The World. We freakin' LOVED IT.

I ran into some friends coincidentally after the show that were disappointed because they didn't recognize most of the songs performed and really bummed he didn't play "Let's Dance".

LMAO

beach tribe
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Listen to the songs "Sorry" off of Chinese Democracy, And "Crucify the dead" featuring Ozzy, from Slash's solo album out earlier this year.

Axl says that all the other members were dancing too much with Mr. Brownstone, and all the rest say Axl is a controlling asshole.

There are lots of different sides of the story, and the split fan base are vehement in their arguments. The majority of them actually followed Axl even though the media definitely did not.
I love em' both. Don't care about their spat, but can tell you that they will NEVER get back together. Axl feels slighted by the shit Slash said in his book.
Axl will never need the $ to have to do a reunion. Chinese Democracy sold over 3 mil albums world wide with absolutely zero promotion, and his tour a year or so ago was the 2nd largest in the world, with sellouts in d=some of the largest possible venues. Dude is still raking in the $$, and the rest of the band members know it.
When asked about what was the difference in playing with a front man like Axl, and one Like Weiland, GnR drummer Matt Sorum said "Playing in front of 5,000, and playing in front of 50,000."

BigChiefFan
08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I can understand why the crowd wasn't pleased but anyone that follows the Black Crowes should know that's their M.O.

There are two distinctly different types of concert goers:

1. The type that goes to see a band perform their "hit" songs.
2. The type that loves all of a band's music and is more interested in their non-hits than the hit.

My wife and I saw Bowie at the Greek Theater a few years back. It was ****ing phenomenal. Much of what he played was from his early days, including several songs off of Ziggy Stardust and The Man Who Sold The World. We freakin' LOVED IT.

I ran into some friends coincidentally after the show that were disappointed because they didn't recognize most of the songs performed and really bummed he didn't play "Let's Dance".

LMAOIn their defense "Let's Dance" had phenomenal guitar playing, SRV, I believe.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 12:50 PM
so dane you dont think eddie has any 'melt your face' riffs in the mix? really?

Eddie's gone through so much with the divorce, beating cancer and getting re-married, along with starting a new amp and guitar company that I find it difficult to believe that he's doing anything new or innovative these days.

Plus, he stopped drinking and with that, much of his reckless abandon in his playing dried up as well.

His playing and innovation has been on the decline for decades. His last real strong effort in terms of killer riffs and guitar work was Mean Streets. Since then, he's been mining the same territory. Hell, half the songs written for 1984 were written in 1976!

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 12:51 PM
In their defense "Let's Dance" had phenomenal guitar playing, SRV, I believe.

Most people don't know that and it doesn't make "the song".

It was a hit song in 1983 and Earl Slick, Bowie's touring guitarist is more than capable of doing what little SRV contributed to that track.

MOhillbilly
08-10-2010, 12:51 PM
My wife and I saw Bowie at the Greek Theater a few years back. It was ****ing phenomenal. Much of what he played was from his early days, including several songs off of Ziggy Stardust and The Man Who Sold The World. We freakin' LOVED IT.

LMAO

lucky. still have the ticket? ill trade you one from this last SB.

BigChiefFan
08-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Most people don't know that and it doesn't make "the song".

It was a hit song in 1983 and Earl Slick, Bowie's touring guitarist is more than capable of doing what little SRV contributed to that track.I like Slick, too. Phantom, Rocker, and Slick had a few cool tunes. (yes, I know they are the drummer and bassist of Stray Cats)

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Tesla and Dokken both put on great shows...

Wow, I have to thoroughly disagree about Dokken. Don is so fucking old and his voice completely shot. It's only he and Mick, so I don't know how he can pass it off as Dokken.

Pull his wig off next time you see him.

beach tribe
08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
As you can see, he still puts on a hell of a show.

Crappy audio on this clip. Just wanted show what the live show looks like. Very Elaborate.
If you haven't heard this song, I would advise you to check it out.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYJh6IxhZTE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYJh6IxhZTE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
lucky. still have the ticket? ill trade you one from this last SB.

Dude, I wish! I'd do that in a heartbeat!

I'm so lame about keeping memorabilia.

beach tribe
08-10-2010, 01:00 PM
.<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RgtN5lLLBw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RgtN5lLLBw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 01:06 PM
When asked about what was the difference in playing with a front man like Axl, and one Like Weiland, GnR drummer Matt Sorum said "Playing in front of 5,000, and playing in front of 50,000."

Matt never got along with Weiland, even in the beginning. He wanted Josh Todd as the singer for VR and never got over it.

Matt & Scott's fighting was the impetus for Weiland to leave the band for good. Quite honestly, I'm happy he did because the new STP record is about 1,000,000 times better than either VR record.

Izzy was truly GNR. Without his songs and influence, they're just another band.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Matt never got along with Weiland, even in the beginning. He wanted Josh Todd as the singer for VR and never got over it.

Matt & Scott's fighting was the impetus for Weiland to leave the band for good. Quite honestly, I'm happy he did because the new STP record is about 1,000,000 times better than either VR record.

True and just as you referred to Dokken ... GnR shouldn't be touring with that name right now either.

beach tribe
08-10-2010, 01:18 PM

I agree about Izzy. Never could figure out why the guy didn't show up somewhere. I guess because Axl n Slash got all of the spotlight.
Never the less, I still think Axl, and Slash have both made great music since then, but nothing on that level.

beach tribe
08-10-2010, 01:22 PM
True and just as you referred to Dokken ... GnR shouldn't be touring with that name right now either.

Agree 1000%, and I like Chinese democracy.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 01:22 PM
I agree about Izzy. Never could figure out why the guy didn't show up somewhere. I guess because Axl n Slash got all of the spotlight.
Never the less, I still think Axl, and Slash have both made great music since then, but nothing on that level.

Izzy didn't want any part of the circus. He's had enough by 1991 and shortly thereafter formed the JuJu Hounds.

He almost joined Velvet Revolver and if he had, it would have been a much better band with much better songs.

As for Slash's new solo album, I think it's weak overall. I'd give it a 2 out of 5 stars. The writing is weak save for the tracks by Cornell and Fergie, which clearly standout from the rest, which is mostly drivel.

I think it's his weakest project to date.

beach tribe
08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Izzy didn't want any part of the circus. He's had enough by 1991 and shortly thereafter formed the JuJu Hounds.

He almost joined Velvet Revolver and if he had, it would have been a much better band with much better songs.

As for Slash's new solo album, I think it's weak overall. I'd give it a 2 out of 5 stars. The writing is weak save for the tracks by Cornell and Fergie, which clearly standout from the rest, which is mostly drivel.

I think it's his weakest project to date.
I disagree. I can deal with 5-6 songs from the album. I don't think it's any kind of an accomplishment, but it's better than Libertad.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 01:28 PM
I disagree. I can deal with 5-6 songs from the album. I don't think it's any kind of an accomplishment, but it's better than Libertad.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like some of the other songs because I do. I dig the tracks with Miles Kennedy and Ian Astbury. I think the track with Lemmy is closest to an old GNR track but I think it would have been better with a different singer (not that I dislike Lemmy, just that particular vocal on that song).

Iggy Pop's track is kinda cool but also pretty cliche. The album is listenable (save for Rocco DeLuca's track - yuck) but it's not groundbreaking or outstanding, save the two tracks I mentioned in my last post.

And yes, Libertad was pure shit.

beach tribe
08-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like some of the other songs because I do. I dig the tracks with Miles Kennedy and Ian Astbury. I think the track with Lemmy is closest to an old GNR track but I think it would have been better with a different singer (not that I dislike Lemmy, just that particular vocal on that song).

Iggy Pop's track is kinda cool but also pretty cliche. The album is listenable (save for Rocco DeLuca's track - yuck) but it's not groundbreaking or outstanding, save the two tracks I mentioned in my last post.

And yes, Libertad was pure shit.

Completely agree.

Love Miles Kennedy BTW. Think he has one of the best voices out there.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Thread redirect... let's get back to Van Halen.

:harumph:

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-10-2010, 01:44 PM

Bitch, you done lost yo' mind.

Bugeater
08-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Bitch, you done lost yo' mind.
I think some of you aren't understanding what I meant by that post. AT THE TIME, it was a good decision. It doesn't mean that I think everything they did with DLR sucked. Their first 4 albums all had great stuff on them, Diver Down was OK, but 1984 sucked ass. Adding Sammy gave them a whole new sound and direction.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
I think some of you aren't understanding what I meant by that post. AT THE TIME, it was a good decision. It doesn't mean that I think everything they did with DLR sucked. Their first 4 albums all had great stuff on them, Diver Down was OK, but 1984 sucked ass. Adding Sammy gave them a whole new sound and direction.

1) Yes.

2) Which sucked.:evil:

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 01:52 PM

The only two songs that were halfway worth a shit on 1984 were Top Jimmy & Panama.

Hot For Teacher would have been even more lame had it not been for the video and the rest is shit.

Jump?

LMAO

With that said, I find it difficult to listen to any of the Sammy Hagar era VH records. OU812 is a joke, F.U.C.K is just okay (saved by Poundcake and Right Now) and 5150 lame as well (I just can't get past those Simmons drums - well, and the "songs").

Van Halen, IMO, peaked with Mean Streets and have been on a downhill slide for 30 years.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2010, 01:52 PM

1984 didn't suck... it was more 'radio ready' and friendly and just in time for the crazy MTV era - you know, back when they played music videos.

I liked a lot of the stuff with Sammy too, but it was a different feel and while I liked it and have all the albums... it wasn't the same.

Omaha
08-10-2010, 01:54 PM

I had the first CD from Izzy & the JuJu Hounds & I loved it. I don't know what happened to it, but I need to find another copy of it.

Omaha
08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Thread redirect... let's get back to Van Halen.

K. I caught them on the last tour with DLR. It was pretty cool to see the old songs, but I'd really like to see them put some new stuff out that really gets some airplay. I think it would be cool to see them back in the spotlight.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
K. I caught them on the last tour with DLR. It was pretty cool to see the old songs, but I'd really like to see them put some new stuff out that really gets some airplay. I think it would be cool to see them back in the spotlight.

Airplay is highly unlikely.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I'd really like to see them put some new stuff out that really gets some airplay.

Doubtful.

Doesnt matter one bit to me anyways. Mainstream radio IMO is garbage. They all play the same 20 songs over and over and over again.

dirk digler
08-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah and unless I'm missing it (listen to lots of talk radio now), the new stuff from the old bands are not getting a lot of radio play... unless it's mixed in with one of those hair metal shows. So, fans aren't hearing the new stuff before the show and it's kinda hard to rock out to stuff that you haven't heard before...

And, again... the people going to see VH and the Black Crowes, well they're not young new listeners. KISS is selling out shows all over (still) and guess what - it's the same old formula. If you think it's tired and lame, you're not going - but there are a ton that are going and they love it.

Agreed. Went to see KISS for the first time earlier this year and it was a fun show. I didn't know any of their new stuff though.

Probably one of the few 80's bands that has been able to succeed with new music and stay very popular is my favorite band, Bon Jovi. They still put out great music and their concerts are still IMO the best.

Nzoner
08-10-2010, 04:30 PM

That was a first for me,never really kept up with Meatloaf although I did love his vocals on the Ted Nugent Free-For-All project.

vailpass
08-10-2010, 04:31 PM
VanHagar sucked, Can't Drive 55 was a good 80s tune but Sammy always struck me as a huge pussy compared to Diamond Dave.

Nzoner
08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
VanHagar sucked, Can't Drive 55 was a good 80s tune but Sammy always struck me as a huge pussy compared to Diamond Dave.

I just know for me when it came to Sammy it didn't get any better than this

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lUeuAnMNDhA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lUeuAnMNDhA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM

This. X ELEVENTY BILLION.

MahiMike
08-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Rock on! Everybody JUMP!:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Rock on! Everybody JUMP!:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Jump?

LMAO

Jump is for girls.

vailpass
08-10-2010, 06:01 PM
I just know for me when it came to Sammy it didn't get any better than this

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lUeuAnMNDhA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lUeuAnMNDhA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I can't open your link but anybody who is located in Lagrange is good in my book.
She don't love me she loves my automobile which is why I been waitin' on the bus all day.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Jump?

LMAO

Jump is for girls.

I hated Eddies keyboard songs...but as time as gone on....i like them better now...

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I hated Eddies keyboard songs...but as time as gone on....i like them better now...

The only song I liked that featured keys was "Right Now" because it was piano, not a cheesy Oberheim synth.

Brock
08-10-2010, 07:43 PM

The main difference to me is the songwriting. Dave wrote with a sly leer, Sammy was boringly literal and over the top in both schmaltzy romanticism and stupid misogyny.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 07:48 PM
The main difference to me is the songwriting. Dave wrote with a sly leer, Sammy was boringly literal and over the top in both schmaltzy romanticism and stupid misogyny.

See Chickenfoot as a prime example.

Great sounding record, very good musical performances, hilariously ridiculous lyrics.

munkey
08-10-2010, 07:59 PM

For some reason I have no desire to see an 80's band for ANY reason what so ever. I grew up in that era and to see them now would just make me feel old and ask myself "did I really like this shit?"

Just say'n

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 08:03 PM
For some reason I have no desire to see an 80's band for ANY reason what so ever. I grew up in that era and to see them now would just make me feel old and ask myself "did I really like this shit?"

Just say'n

Do you say the same thing about Zeppelin? The Eagles? The Who? The Allmans? Eric Clapton? Yes? ZZ Top?

If not, it's not the era.

It's the fact that the hair bands were a joke.

munkey
08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Do you say the same thing about Zeppelin? The Eagles? The Who? The Allmans? Eric Clapton? Yes? ZZ Top?

IMO you've kinda lumped the 60's/70's into the 80's...The bands you mentioned pretty much fizzled out in the 80's and I don't equate them to that era...you might as well add the cars, devo, rush, STV, Journey and blonde ( I could go on....) to that list.

So basically I agree with you...the hair bands were a joke and every time I see Brett Michael's I cringe....Poison was bar none one of the WORST bands at the time...and I was a freak'n DJ...I was forced to play the shit...oh...did I mention BJ? (Bon Jovi) :Lin:

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 08:25 PM

IMO you've kinda lumped the 60's/70's into the 80's...The bands you mentioned pretty much fizzled out in the 80's and I don't equate them to that era...you might as well add the cars, devo, rush, STV, Journey and blonde ( I could go on....) to that list.

So basically I agree with you...the hair bands were a joke and every time I see Brett Michael's I cringe....Poison was bar none one of the WORST bands at the time...and I was a freak'n DJ...I was forced to play the shit...oh...did I mention BJ? (Bon Jovi) :Lin:

The point was this: If you can listen to music from an earlier era without cringing, it's not the era, it's the music.

The most hilarious thing is that you can't find a radio station in Los Angeles that plays that music: No Motley Crue, Poison, Van Halen, Pretty Boy Floyd, Bang Tango, Babylon AD, Tesla, Dokken, Warrant - NONE OF IT.

LMAO

Yet KROQ regularly spins the Go-Go's, Depeche Mode, Boingo, Missing Persons, Berlin, Duran Duran, etc. on an hourly basis.

The ONLY place that Hair Bands were extremely popular was the Midwest. And I guess they still are to some degree.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2010, 08:41 PM

heh.....ill admit i still have a nice rotation of Hair Bands in my MP3 collection. No, the music isnt as good as the stuff in the 70's, but its still fun, good time party music.....its what i grew up with. Admittedly, alot of the power ballads make me cringe now...the lyrics seem so juvenille.

Having said that, i dont have much of a desire to see a hair band live anymore...like somone mentioned before, most are over the hill. I just prefer to remember them from when i was young.

Bugeater
08-10-2010, 08:45 PM
heh.....ill admit i still have a nice rotation of Hair Bands in my MP3 collection. No, the music isnt as good as the stuff in the 70's, but its still fun, good time party music.....its what i grew up with. Admittedly, alot of the power ballads make me cringe now...the lyrics seem so juvenille.

Having said that, i dont have much of a desire to see a hair band live anymore...like somone mentioned before, most are over the hill. I just prefer to remember them from when i was young.
Heh, I worked at a concert back in 2004 that featured Dokken, Ratt, LA Guns and Tesla, and not only were the bands over the hill, so were the women who were dressing like they were back in the 80s. It wasn't pretty.

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 08:49 PM
LMAO

Why am I not surprised?

A Perfect Circle is made up several very well known and well-respected musicians and songwriters and have sold more than 10 million copies worldwide.

Billy Howerdel founded the band (Billy was Billy Corgan's guitar tech and also appeared on several of the unreleased new Guns 'N Roses tracks). Maynard from Tool is on vocals, drummer extraordinaire Josh Freese on drums (also on the new GNR record), Geordie White from Marilyn Mansion and Troy from Failure.

It's very artistic, nearing prog-rock. Both albums are beyond excellent but it's a far cry from 80's hair band music.

Probably because its really not my genre of music... I havent ever listed to Mansion... or heard of failure... I have heard of the pumpkins, but the lead sing always looking like something you would see in the Heavens gate cult or something... Thought he should be raping small animals or childern, not singing... so he freaked me out... I passed on that band... Tool, not sure I know what they sing...

but hey, each is to there own... Still had to look up perfect circle to see what they were about or sang...

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Wow, I have to thoroughly disagree about Dokken. Don is so ****ing old and his voice completely shot. It's only he and Mick, so I don't know how he can pass it off as Dokken.

Pull his wig off next time you see him.

You went and watched them live lately? Where did you see them at?

Deberg_1990
08-10-2010, 08:52 PM
The ONLY place that Hair Bands were extremely popular was the Midwest. And I guess they still are to some degree.

heh, guess thats why Rocklahoma is in middle of Oklahoma and not downtown LA? LOL

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 08:54 PM
See Chickenfoot as a prime example.

Great sounding record, very good musical performances, hilariously ridiculous lyrics.

I love chickenfoot... Micheal Anthony's harmony is second to none... But Joe satrini fan... Plus you cant go wrong with the Red rocker... I thought the interesting mix was the drummer from the Red Hot Gay peppers...

But you have to give it up to flea, dude is sick on the bass, les claypool type of sick...

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 08:55 PM
heh, guess thats why Rocklahoma is in middle of Oklahoma and not downtown LA? LOL\

Hell yeah!

went the first 3 years.. It was awesome... Enjoyed every minute of it....

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
You went and watched them live lately? Where did you see them at?

No, Dude. Dokken only plays shitty hole in the war bars out here. I saw Don at the NAMM show a couple of year back and he just looks horrible. He's been wearing that wig for years but damn.

I was really happy when that era of music ended. It was just didn't speak to me at all.

I'm glad you're still enjoying it and have fun.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I was really happy when that era of music ended. It was just didn't speak to me at all.

But i thought u and Kip Winger were tight?

Bugeater
08-10-2010, 09:02 PM
No, Dude. Dokken only plays shitty hole in the war bars out here. I saw Don at the NAMM show a couple of year back and he just looks horrible. He's been wearing that wig for years but damn.

Meth dude. I drove him back to his hotel after the concert in '04 and he had me stop at a convenience store, one of the things he bought was aluminum foil...dead giveaway.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Probably because its really not my genre of music... I havent ever listed to Mansion... or heard of failure... I have heard of the pumpkins, but the lead sing always looking like something you would see in the Heavens gate cult or something... Thought he should be raping small animals or childern, not singing... so he freaked me out... I passed on that band... Tool, not sure I know what they sing...

but hey, each is to there own... Still had to look up perfect circle to see what they were about or sang...

I wasn't insulting you, I was just stating that I wasn't surprised. There is a ton of great music out there but you'd need to search it out where you live because it's just not played on radio in your region.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Meth dude. I drove him back to his hotel after the concert in '04 and he had me stop at a convenience store, one of the things he bought was aluminum foil...dead giveaway.

Yeah, he's a freaking wreck and has been forever. I think he's like 60 now but he looks like he's 100.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
But i thought u and Kip Winger were tight?

LMAO

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:06 PM

I'm glad you're still enjoying it and have fun.

Fair enough... I struggled trying to understand the depression and flannel of the 90's. I really tried to like that music... But it was so empty...

The last 2 decades, I can think of a hand full of bands that I enjoyed... LIVE (early days), Godsmack, Maybe some early Pearl Jam or Temple of the Dog... But I could never understand that Eddie guy.... The other guy in Temple of the Dog... the singer.. he was okay, but his voice started to sound like a blender with a spoon in it after awhile...

Have seen Dokken 4 times in the last 3 years... Old Man Don didnt have a wig or anything like that... They sounded great and put on a great show.. Their guitarest Jon Levin (i think that is who, dont want to look it up) was pretty kick ass.. Enjoyed it...

Yes hairbands are still popular shows here in the midwest...

Jesus Bon Jovi came to the Ford Center in -07, the loudest thing I ever heard in my life... 20,000 people 3/4 of them were hot middle aged women that could scream... At times the croud was louder than the music... They put on a great show....

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I love chickenfoot... Micheal Anthony's harmony is second to none... But Joe satrini fan... Plus you cant go wrong with the Red rocker... I thought the interesting mix was the drummer from the Red Hot Gay peppers...

But you have to give it up to flea, dude is sick on the bass, les claypool type of sick...

Chad Smith is 100x better than Alex Van Halen and about 1000x smarter.

As I stated, the production is spectacular (as it should be: Andy Johns recorded and mixed it at Skywalker Sound) and the playing and singing are top notch.

But "Oh, yeah, come on baby give me what I need. Oh yeah!"

ROFL

It's as if the lyrics were written by a second grader in a special needs class.

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I wasn't insulting you, I was just stating that I wasn't surprised. There is a ton of great music out there but you'd need to search it out where you live because it's just not played on radio in your region.

Sirius....

Channel 23 and 24 are my first two settings...

Hair nation and Alt nation...

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:08 PM

As I stated, the production is spectacular (as it should be: Andy Johns recorded and mixed it at Skywalker Sound) and the playing and singing are top notch.

ROFL

Not going to deny that... Like the concept, but the lyrics are pretty weak...

The musicianship is quality though...

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
LMAO

You know who the ladies like? Mark Slaughter...

They are incredible live... Love his voice and songs... Big Mark Slaughter fan...

Dude still can flex the golden pipes...

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Fair enough... I struggled trying to understand the depression and flannel of the 90's. I really tried to like that music... But it was so empty...

Empty? LMAO

Did you even listen to the lyrics? The 80's were empty, about partying and fucking chicks.

The 90's Seattle music was about dealing with heroin addiction, dealing bi-polar disorder, rape, incest and several other extremely heavy topics.

The lyrics to Pearl Jam's "Black" are freaking amazing but "Jeremy" and "Alive" are extremely disturbing. Especially "Alive".

And Temple of the Dog? Dude, the entire record was about Andy Wood, who died of a heroin overdose on the night his album was released on Mercury Records. It's a very deep and dark record, especially "Needle & Spoon", "Four Walled World" and "Say Hello to Heaven".

I think you need to go back and revisit that music.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 09:12 PM
You know who the ladies like? Mark Slaughter...

They are incredible live... Love his voice and songs... Big Mark Slaughter fan...

Dude still can flex the golden pipes...

Oh, JFC.

Mark Slaughter couldn't fill a coffeehouse in LA, let alone a nightclub or arena.

That music was really ALL about the Midwest. It's nonexistent out here.

dirk digler
08-10-2010, 09:13 PM

The last 2 decades, I can think of a hand full of bands that I enjoyed... LIVE (early days), Godsmack, Maybe some early Pearl Jam or Temple of the Dog... But I could never understand that Eddie guy.... The other guy in Temple of the Dog... the singer.. he was okay, but his voice started to sound like a blender with a spoon in it after awhile...

Have seen Dokken 4 times in the last 3 years... Old Man Don didnt have a wig or anything like that... They sounded great and put on a great show.. Their guitarest Jon Levin (i think that is who, dont want to look it up) was pretty kick ass.. Enjoyed it...

Yes hairbands are still popular shows here in the midwest...

Jesus Bon Jovi came to the Ford Center in -07, the loudest thing I ever heard in my life... 20,000 people 3/4 of them were hot middle aged women that could scream... At times the croud was louder than the music... They put on a great show....

I have found a few current "rock" bands that I enjoy, Lifehouse, 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace is pretty good, Papa Roach at least their old stuff, and one of my very favorites Linkin Park.

I still like the old stuff and I loved the Grunge era. I was a huge Pearl Jam fan. I also loved Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog.

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Empty? LMAO

Did you even listen to the lyrics? The 80's were empty, about partying and ****ing chicks.

The 90's Seattle music was about dealing with heroin addiction, dealing bi-polar disorder, rape, incest and several other extremely heavy topics.

The lyrics to Pearl Jam's "Black" are freaking amazing but "Jeremy" and "Alive" are extremely disturbing. Especially "Alive".

And Temple of the Dog? Dude, the entire record was about Andy Wood, who died of a heroin overdose on the night his album was released on Mercury Records. It's a very deep and dark record, especially "Needle & Spoon", "Four Walled World" and "Say Hello to Heaven".

I think you need to go back and revisit that music.

Thanks for the update and I understand that was your genre of music.... I will go back and check it out, I have alot of the CD's for those bands somewhere.

I just didnt catch on to the Seatlle movement... I tried, but "to me" it didnt touch me enough to continue to follow it...

Guess that is just a difference in age or mental makeup...

Deberg_1990
08-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I like 70's, 80's and 90's rock. I can appreaciate each era's sounds.

Ive never seen an end of an era so fast as the hair band though.....usually its a gradual phase out. But once Nirvana hit, it was like that Hair band stuff didnt exist at all. I didnt even start listening to it again until about 5 years ago.

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh, JFC.

Mark Slaughter couldn't fill a coffeehouse in LA, let alone a nightclub or arena.

That music was really ALL about the Midwest. It's nonexistent out here.

Now or then?

Cause back in the day it was all about Sunset Strip, Whiskey a Go Go and others....

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I like 70's, 80's and 90's rock. I can appreaciate each era's sounds.

Ive never seen an end of an era so fast as the hair band though.....usually its a gradual phase out. But once Nirvana hit, it was like that Hair band stuff didnt exist at all. I didnt even start listening to it again until about 5 years ago.

Agree, it took a turn and fast...

Which was okay with me, there were still alot of great songs produced after the grunge era started... But it wasnt mainstream anymore...

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I have found a few current "rock" bands that I enjoy, Lifehouse, 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace is pretty good, Papa Roach at least their old stuff, and one of my very favorites Linkin Park.

I still like the old stuff and I loved the Grunge era. I was a huge Pearl Jam fan. I also loved Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog.

Ah yes Lifehouse is catchy, Saw them in concert with Matchbox20 in the early 2000's.....

good band live and on CD....

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Now or then?

Cause back in the day it was all about Sunset Strip, Whiskey a Go Go and others....

That's where the bands were signed and why everyone from all over the country moved out here in an effort to get signed.

But the music itself didn't really carry any weight on radio or in people's lives.

Depeche, Boingo, Berlin, Duran, etc. were MUCH more important and ingrained in the culture (film, TV, etc.) and that music is played every day on KROQ.

As I stated earlier, you can't find a radio station in LA that plays Hair Metal and it hasn't been on the air out here in 15 years or more.

It's a Midwest thing: That was and is to this day, their audience.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the update and I understand that was your genre of music.... I will go back and check it out, I have alot of the CD's for those bands somewhere.

I just didnt catch on to the Seatlle movement... I tried, but "to me" it didnt touch me enough to continue to follow it...

Guess that is just a difference in age or mental makeup...

It wasn't really "my" genre, it was the fact that after the long decade that was the 80's, music finally had some weight again. The songs were extremely well written and were about subjects that mattered.

Not "I met you. I love you. Oh, don't go. Baby, I'll love you forever. Oops, I just found out you were the devil. But I still love you".

And thankfully, bands stopped running up and down wet streets at night in their music videos.

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:27 PM
That's where the bands were signed and why everyone from all over the country moved out here in an effort to get signed.

But the music itself didn't really carry any weight on radio or in people's lives.

Depeche, Boingo, Berlin, Duran, etc. were MUCH more important and ingrained in the culture (film, TV, etc.) and that music is played every day on KROQ.

As I stated earlier, you can't find a radio station in LA that plays Hair Metal and it hasn't been on the air out here in 15 years or more.

It's a Midwest thing: That was and is to this day, their audience.

I would say that MTV helped that cause... Headbangers ball was about the only time you could get to see those bands videos on MTV...

Probably so in LA Dane... I have only been to LA once in my life... So I really wouldnt know... But yes in the midwest, hair bands rules the 80's, concerts were mega, proms played ballads...

IT was what we knew growing up... Probably why some of us hold on to those bands, songs and stuff longer than others... We never were main stream like LA... Shit I was born and raised in SE Kansas... Nothing ever happened there... EVER!!!!

Deberg_1990
08-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Not "I met you. I love you. Oh, don't go. Baby, I'll love you forever. Oops, I just found out you were the devil. But I still love you".

Shes my Cherry Pie......cool drink of water such a sweet surprise....... ROFL

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:30 PM
It wasn't really "my" genre, it was the fact that after the long decade that was the 80's, music finally had some weight again. The songs were extremely well written and were about subjects that mattered.

And thankfully, bands stopped running up and down wet streets at night in their music videos.

Sam Kinison? LOL!

I guess they were subjects that mattered in someones lives. But Herion, rape, incest and the other things you talked about in the 90's music really werent an issue out here in the midwest...

I guess that is where some of us lost touch with it? We couldnt relate to it, so it was hard to follow or understand...

Make sense?

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:30 PM

Ah the memories.... :clap: Swinging! All night long! :D

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Sam Kinison? LOL!

I guess they were subjects that mattered in someones lives. But Herion, rape, incest and the other things you talked about in the 90's music really werent an issue out here in the midwest...

I guess that is where some of us lost touch with it? We couldnt relate to it, so it was hard to follow or understand...

Make sense?

Dude, Pearl Jam's debut album sold 10 million copies. Their second sold two million in the first two weeks. Alice In Chain's Dirt sold 7 million and Soundgarden's "Superunknown" sold 7 million. Add in the huge success of Nirvana's records. I don't think they were just coastal phenoms because just about everyone I knew back in KC had those albums as well.

I saw freaking AIC OPEN for Extreme at the Lone Star in 1990.

LMAO

AIC completely blew them away. Hair metal was dead, buried and gone.

And it'll never return.

dirk digler
08-10-2010, 09:54 PM
I would say that MTV helped that cause... Headbangers ball was about the only time you could get to see those bands videos on MTV...

Probably so in LA Dane... I have only been to LA once in my life... So I really wouldnt know... But yes in the midwest, hair bands rules the 80's, concerts were mega, proms played ballads...

IT was what we knew growing up... Probably why some of us hold on to those bands, songs and stuff longer than others... We never were main stream like LA... Shit I was born and raised in SE Kansas... Nothing ever happened there... EVER!!!!

Yep.

Reerun_KC
08-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Til tomorrow. It's late great discussion. Have lots more to add. Enjoy the night. May spandex and hairspray keep on rocking.

munkey
08-10-2010, 10:12 PM
The point was this: If you can listen to music from an earlier era without cringing, it's not the era, it's the music.

The most hilarious thing is that you can't find a radio station in Los Angeles that plays that music: No Motley Crue, Poison, Van Halen, Pretty Boy Floyd, Bang Tango, Babylon AD, Tesla, Dokken, Warrant - NONE OF IT.

LMAO

Yet KROQ regularly spins the Go-Go's, Depeche Mode, Boingo, Missing Persons, Berlin, Duran Duran, etc. on an hourly basis.

LOL...Berlin...how about ABC, YAZ, EBN OZN, OMD, The FIX, Flock of Seagulls, Kajagoogoo, Split Enz, They Might Be Giants, Talking Heads, INXS, The Cult, The Smiths, The Cure, REM, Devo, Tears for Fears, WHAM, English Beat, Stray Cats, Joan Jett, Rick Springfield, Tommy Too Tone, Gregg Kihn (sp), Journey, 38 Special....I'm stopping now

Missing Persons I get...they were a little ahead of they're time on some tunes but IMO the Cars were one of the best bands (though extremely boring in concert) to ever scratch vinyl....

munkey
08-10-2010, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=DaneMcCloud;6927557] Hair metal was dead, buried and gone.

And it'll never return.[/QUOTE

:)

munkey
08-10-2010, 10:16 PM
The Clash....damn it...I forgot the Clash...and BAD...

munkey
08-10-2010, 10:22 PM

The only thing good about that song was the chick in the video:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OjyZKfdwlng&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OjyZKfdwlng&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nzoner
08-11-2010, 07:04 AM

Truer words never spo...er typed.

Mile High Mania
08-11-2010, 07:22 AM
The 80s (hair metal) was more about having fun and enjoying the moment... those were my junior high and high school years. It was a party and that music fit it perfectly.

Were they writing the world's greatest songs... no. But, does it always have to be about that ... I don't think so. I think those that appreciate the era get it and that's all that matters.

I liked the grunge scene as well... I still think Peal Jam's 'Ten' is right up their with GnR's 'Appetite' as top 5 all time greatest debut albums. I could listen to it over and over today.

I didn't care much for the latter part of the hair metal bands - Firehouse, Slaughter... they had some ok songs, but it didn't do much for me. When I think of that era... (and no, I don't classify all of these as hair metal) ... I want to listen to RATT, Crue, Van Halen, Cinderella, Dokken, Poison (yeah, even them... the concerts were great and girls loved them), LA Guns, GnR, Aerosmith, Tesla and a handful of others.

Nzoner
08-11-2010, 08:14 AM
The 80s (hair metal) was more about having fun and enjoying the moment... those were my junior high and high school years. It was a party and that music fit it perfectly.

I think that statement could be made by most any teenager in whatever era they grew up in,just goes with the territory so to speak and don't get me wrong I graduated in '81 so was right there in the midst of the hair band scene but thanks to two uncles who shared 60's and 70's rock with me from 5th grade on I developed a strong taste for progressive rock.

Like Dane,I'm glad any of you had a good time with the hair band scene and just so I don't sound like a total music snob I do have a handful of "those" tunes on my computer because depending on the kind of party I'm hosting I will still add some Whitesnake or Poison to the mix from time to time.

Mile High Mania
08-11-2010, 08:23 AM
I think that statement could be made by most any teenager in whatever era they grew up in,just goes with the territory so to speak and don't get me wrong I graduated in '81 so was right there in the midst of the hair band scene but thanks to two uncles who shared 60's and 70's rock with me from 5th grade on I developed a strong taste for progressive rock.

Like Dane,I'm glad any of you had a good time with the hair band scene and just so I don't sound like a total music snob I do have a handful of "those" tunes on my computer because depending on the kind of party I'm hosting I will still add some Whitesnake or Poison to the mix from time to time.

Most definitely... every generation has their niche version of music that they cling to and is rarely repeated, for good reason. :-)

Deberg_1990
08-11-2010, 08:49 AM
depending on the kind of party I'm hosting I will still add some Whitesnake or Poison to the mix from time to time.

Good, I like to add some Seger, Fleetwood Mac, Bee Gees and Foreigner to my rotation from time to time.. :)

Fairplay
08-11-2010, 10:11 AM

With just a touch of Ratt for your listening pleasure.

vailpass
08-11-2010, 10:24 AM

Exactly. You captured my thoughts better than I could have.

Omaha
08-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Sirius....

Channel 23 and 24 are my first two settings...

Hair nation and Alt nation...

Alt Nation is my favorite. I've found a lot of great new music there. I also like Lithium & Spectrum.

Mile High Mania
08-11-2010, 10:36 AM

Exactly. You captured my thoughts better than I could have.

Yep... VH with Dave was more "hey baby, let's party and wake up nekkid" while VH with Sammy was more "hey baby, is this love ... baby, why can't this be love".

Omaha
08-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Make sense?

Um, have you never driven through Iowa??????

InChiefsHeaven
08-11-2010, 01:08 PM
The lyrics to Alive and Jeremy are disturbing for sure. I never really understood Alive, but I get a weird vibe...it's some kind of molestation\incest\death kind of thing...I guess...

...I don't like that kind of thing. And since much of the music from the grunge era was boring to me (I think Nirvana knew like 3 chords...) I never gave it much thought back in the day. I was (and still am a little) into the Thrash end of the Hair Bands, like Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Pantera, etc. Also, very in to Iron Maiden, Ozzy, etc. Most of the LA glam crap was not for me...though it's funny now when I hear it, I dig it more.

The grunge thing...just never did it. Either the lyrics were cool but the song bored me (Smells like Teen Spirit) or the lyrics made no sense but the music was kind of cool (Plush). We do Plush now, we also do some Poison, INXS, U2...we have our fair share of 70's, 80's and 90's...while I'm sure we wouldn't go over well in LA, I'm also sure I don't really care.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-11-2010, 04:31 PM

ROFL

LMAO

That said, anything beyond 1 or 2 MLB songs, most of AIC( which wasn't "Grunge" at all )and pretty much Mudhoney and Nirvana's EARLIEST work sucks ass. Grunge sucked.

Third Eye
08-11-2010, 04:41 PM
LMAO

That said, anything beyond 1 or 2 MLB songs, most of AIC( which wasn't "Grunge" at all )and pretty much Mudhoney and Nirvana's EARLIEST work sucks ass. Grunge sucked.

What, no love for Louder than Love or Badmotorfinger? Soundgarden lost me after that, but Badmotorfinger still gets play from me. Jesus Christ Pose is epic.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-11-2010, 04:48 PM
What, no love for Louder than Love or Badmotorfinger? Soundgarden lost me after that, but Badmotorfinger still gets play from me. Jesus Christ Pose is epic.

I stand corrected, Sir.:D

Halfcan
08-11-2010, 06:32 PM
not sure I will buy into this thing

Reerun_KC
08-11-2010, 07:15 PM

I really started to get tired of that rock when every station in america plays the same damn fucking songs every fucking day... Same shit from the same bands, every fucking day... How many fucking times can you hear Rush Tom Sawyer or Black Sabbath Iron Man, and the rest of the same god damn songs they play over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over every fucking day...

So go fucking die Nzoner!

Dear God Reerun, you just went on a Dane type rant....

I was kidding about the die part. Just put that in there for Dramatic LA flair.... :D

Reerun_KC
08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Oh and Dane.. Here is another one for you... I also enjoyed Vinnie Vincent Invasion (Mark Slaugther years)....

go ahead and giggle about that one....

Nzoner
08-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I really started to get tired of that rock when every station in america plays the same damn ****ing songs every ****ing day... Same shit from the same bands, every ****ing day... How many ****ing times can you hear Rush Tom Sawyer or Black Sabbath Iron Man, and the rest of the same god damn songs they play over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over every ****ing day...

So go ****ing die Nzoner!

Dear God Reerun, you just went on a Dane type rant....

I was kidding about the die part. Just put that in there for Dramatic LA flair.... :D

WTF don't blame me because you don't have the initiative to go find other music,it's your own damn fault you listen to commercial radio.Back then as now there's plenty of great music available you just have to go searching for it.As for Sabbath,Rush who the fock ever,turn off the radio and buy a cd and check out the B-sides if nothing else.

I haven't listened to commercial radio since I can't focking remember when,it's the same reason when I watch a movie I go to the foreign and/or independent section of the store,there's so much great stuff out there that will never be discovered because "the masses" are too focking lazy to search for it and just want spoon fed the same old shit!

Mother focker! :):)

Reerun_KC
08-11-2010, 07:34 PM
WTF don't blame me because you don't have the initiative to go find other music,it's your own damn fault you listen to commercial radio.Back then as now there's plenty of great music available you just have to go searching for it.As for Sabbath,Rush who the fock ever,turn off the radio and buy a cd and check out the B-sides if nothing else.

I haven't listened to commercial radio since I can't focking remember when,it's the same reason when I watch a movie I go to the foreign and/or independent section of the store,there's so much great stuff out there that will never be discovered because "the masses" are too focking lazy to search for it and just want spoon fed the same old shit!

Oh I am blaming you for the failures of commercial radio!*

*Actually I purchased Sirius in 06... I very very rarely listen to commercial radio anymore.... It just blows...

Nzoner
08-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Oh I am blaming you for the failures of commercial radio!*

*Actually I purchased Sirius in 06... I very very rarely listen to commercial radio anymore.... It just blows...

Take my word find anything and everything by the following artists

Joe Bonamassa

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YBgNuP86BNk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YBgNuP86BNk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Porcupine Tree

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XO3GQvye2bQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XO3GQvye2bQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

RPWL

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2VcEn2NZdY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2VcEn2NZdY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Bugeater
08-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Shit, I've searched and searched and all I find is a bunch of fucking garbage. I always end up going back to the tried and true classics.

Reerun_KC
08-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Will check them out nzoner. Thanks

Nzoner
08-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Shit, I've searched and searched and all I find is a bunch of ****ing garbage. I always end up going back to the tried and true classics.

Okay try these

Jonathan Tyler and the Northern Lights
Alias Eye
Joe Bonamassa
Porcupine Tree
Jadis
Clutch
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Brad Sucks
RPWL

and if none of that newer shit does it for you you can always check out new releases in the last few years by Tom Petty,Steve Miller,Bob Seger,Peter Frampton,Steve Winwood and more

CLUTCH

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kx6FV2qR2TY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kx6FV2qR2TY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Reerun_KC
08-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Lots of my favorite hair bands have released new albums recently. I have enjoyed them. Almost feels like a being a teenager again.

Deberg_1990
08-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Lots of my favorite hair bands have released new albums recently. I have enjoyed them. Almost feels like a being a teenager again.

I wasnt aware Culture Club put out anything recently?

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Like who?

dirk digler

LMAO

Reerun_KC

Dammit. That was funny! Very well played.

Nzoner
08-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Here's one I found in my searching that caught my ear,maybe not for everyone but I liked it

BRAD SUCKS

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z5W-5sZeynQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z5W-5sZeynQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Reerun_KC
08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Like who?
Ratt this year. Whitesnake a couple of years ago. Dokken did as well. Several are working on them now. I am on the iPhone and don't feel like looking them all up.

But still pretty good times.

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Ratt this year. Whitesnake a couple of years ago. Dokken did as well. Several are working on them now. I am on the iPhone and don't feel like looking them all up.

I want you to look them all up and I don't want to hear any of your lame excuses

Reerun_KC
08-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I want you to look them all up and I don't want to hear any of your lame excuses

Hahahaha. Maybe later watching young guns on cmt.

Nzoner
08-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Of course if you're looking for old faces in new places

Steve Miller

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/grguJ7RaX30?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/grguJ7RaX30?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Reerun_KC
08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Dirk. I hear van halen is working on a new album. Could be a rumor though!

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Hahahaha. Maybe later watching young guns on cmt.

Good movie.

Dirk. I hear van halen is working on a new album. Could be a rumor though!

NO WAY!

Reerun_KC
08-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Good movie.

NO WAY!

Way!

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Oh and Dane.. Here is another one for you... I also enjoyed Vinnie Vincent Invasion (Mark Slaugther years)....

go ahead and giggle about that one....

Vinnie Vincent sped up his guitar solos to make it sound like he was playing really fast.

So essentially what he did was listen to the band at normal speed, then recorded his solos on a another tape machine synced to the first, but it ran at half speed.

So when the solos were put at 15ips (they were recorded at 7.5ips), it sounded like he was a guitar god.

LMAO

But I'm glad you enjoy music. I'm not insulting anyone's preferences. Music speaks to everyone differently and I'm glad you're digging music from your youth to this day.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 10:18 PM

The thing is though, Ratt is missing two founding members that happen to be the primary songwriters in the band (actually, Round and Round was written by a guy named Ron Jones who wasn't even in the band).

Same with Whitesnake. Whitesnake's breakthrough American record was written by John Sykes and David Coverdale. Sykes was fired with the rest of the band on that record (Neil Murry & Ansley Dunbar) and replaced by Vivian Campbell, Adrian Vandenberg, Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldrich. This was all a "scheme" by John Kaladnor to make Whitesnake the biggest band in the world.

None of those guys appeared on the record, although they were paid extremely well on the tour ($10k per week or more) and appeared in the music videos.

The record released a few years ago featured completely different people trying to capture the sound of 1987. I'm glad you liked it but I found it to be a complete fail.

And don't get me started on the crackhead/cocaine fiend.

T-post Tom
08-11-2010, 11:19 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPOHq8XF2Zs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPOHq8XF2Zs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Third Eye
08-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Okay try these

Porcupine Tree

Clutch

I have tried on numerous occasions to get into Porcupine Tree, but I simply can't. They can create some fantastic soundscapes, but their "heavier" stuff turns me off. I respect their abilities as musicians, but only their "spacier" stuff really speaks to me.

Clutch,on the other hand, kick some motherfucking ass. I've seen them numerous times throughout the years. First time I heard them was as an opening act for Fear Factory and Sepultura in 93/94 at Memorial. Can't believe it's been 17 years now. Wow. They'll be here in November at Pops and I'll be seeing them again. They've been playing at Pop's in Sauget,IL (part of the famous St. Louis East Side for the uninitiated) for years now. The song Black Umbrella is about an experience at an off track betting site right next to Pops.

InChiefsHeaven
08-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Way!

Shaaa...and monkeys might fly out of my butt...

InChiefsHeaven
08-12-2010, 05:31 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPOHq8XF2Zs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPOHq8XF2Zs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The naked chic at the 50 second mark is awesome...only Dave could pull that off.

You know, even if you hate the idea of Bluegrass Jump, you have to respect Dave. He's a true showman and he'll try anything, and he's usually pretty successful.

Nzoner
08-12-2010, 07:07 AM
I have tried on numerous occasions to get into Porcupine Tree, but I simply can't. They can create some fantastic soundscapes, but their "heavier" stuff turns me off. I respect their abilities as musicians, but only their "spacier" stuff really speaks to me.

I applaud you for at least being open minded enough to check them out and even moreso because you didn't stop at one or two tries.Like I said in an earlier post I was drawn to progressive rock very early on and not since the classic days of bands like Yes,Rush,Queen and even Sabbath(on the heavy side) has a band just simply blown me away.I've also had the opportunity to see them play live twice now so I'm sure that comes into play as well.

Reerun_KC
08-12-2010, 08:01 AM
The thing is though, Ratt is missing two founding members that happen to be the primary songwriters in the band (actually, Round and Round was written by a guy named Ron Jones who wasn't even in the band).

Same with Whitesnake. Whitesnake's breakthrough American record was written by John Sykes and David Coverdale. Sykes was fired with the rest of the band on that record (Neil Murry & Ansley Dunbar) and replaced by Vivian Campbell, Adrian Vandenberg, Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldrich. This was all a "scheme" by John Kaladnor to make Whitesnake the biggest band in the world.

None of those guys appeared on the record, although they were paid extremely well on the tour ($10k per week or more) and appeared in the music videos.

The record released a few years ago featured completely different people trying to capture the sound of 1987. I'm glad you liked it but I found it to be a complete fail.

And don't get me started on the crackhead/cocaine fiend.

I did enjoy the last album Good to be Bad, but I am a huge Reb Beach fan though...

Deberg_1990
08-12-2010, 10:05 AM
so whats Yngwie Malmsteen up to these days?

stevieray
08-12-2010, 10:15 AM
cool..saw them @ SummerJam when they first started.

whether you love or hate Dave, he gets your attention.

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 10:16 AM

The same exact thing that he's done since 1983. Writing boring songs with nondescript singers so that he can play Paganni and Bach riffs over the top.

He's probably a hundred pounds heavier than in the 80's, but wears the same clothes that he did back then, scarves and all.

It's like Spinal Tap.

Reerun_KC
08-12-2010, 10:35 AM
The same exact thing that he's done since 1983. Writing boring songs with nondescript singers so that he can play Paganni and Bach riffs over the top.

He's probably a hundred pounds heavier than in the 80's, but wears the same clothes that he did back then, scarves and all.

It's like Spinal Tap.

How can you go wrong!!!!! Everyone loves Spinal Tap!

Reerun_KC
08-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Shaaa...and monkeys might fly out of my butt...

And kick field goals?

Consistent1
08-12-2010, 10:36 AM

It's like Spinal Tap.

I always enjoy your takes on these things. Good stuff man.

Omaha
08-12-2010, 10:37 AM
How can you go wrong!!!!! Everyone loves Spinal Tap!

"There's a fine line between clever and stupid."

Great movie!

Mile High Mania
08-12-2010, 11:20 AM

Yes, he is a bit portly...
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yOerW9x73oQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yOerW9x73oQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/flz1G3-ZgGM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/flz1G3-ZgGM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Reerun_KC
08-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Vinnie Vincent sped up his guitar solos to make it sound like he was playing really fast.

So essentially what he did was listen to the band at normal speed, then recorded his solos on a another tape machine synced to the first, but it ran at half speed.

So when the solos were put at 15ips (they were recorded at 7.5ips), it sounded like he was a guitar god.

LMAO

But I'm glad you enjoy music. I'm not insulting anyone's preferences. Music speaks to everyone differently and I'm glad you're digging music from your youth to this day.

Thats cool...

But I recently bought some training videos by him, sure is different than what your telling me...

Mile High Mania
08-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Who can forget this one... Spinal Tap sighting.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qZktrrqT1A0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Reerun_KC
08-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Speaking of train wrecks... Lets talk Faster Pussycat....

they are very entertaining on stage... You never know if they are going to start fighting amongst themselves or what....

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Eating meatball sandwiches and trying to go; "BOODLE-BOODLE-WIDDLE-WIDDLE"! with his big sausage-fingers, yes.

Deberg_1990
02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Sounds like they are actually in the studio now and have been for the past few weeks...

Producer John Shanks Confirms Working With Van Halen

http://www.vhnd.com/page/3/

The Van Halen News Desk was the first to report last December that Van Halen were to record a new studio album with Grammy Award winning producer John Shanks in January, 2011. Shanks confirmed this with a tweet late Thursday night, “here we go kids…..vh” followed by tweeting this photo he took from the studio:

Last week, Shanks tweeted the hint: “going back to cali..good bye london.hello la.time to rock.i still believe!! in the power and thunder.big bass drum and big guitars.just me?”

Brock
02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
That will be interesting, and hopefully they'll break the trend of never failing to disappoint.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Sounds like they are actually in the studio now and have been for the past few weeks...

Producer John Shanks Confirms Working With Van Halen

http://www.vhnd.com/page/3/

The Van Halen News Desk was the first to report last December that Van Halen were to record a new studio album with Grammy Award winning producer John Shanks in January, 2011. Shanks confirmed this with a tweet late Thursday night, “here we go kids…..vh” followed by tweeting this photo he took from the studio:

Last week, Shanks tweeted the hint: “going back to cali..good bye london.hello la.time to rock.i still believe!! in the power and thunder.big bass drum and big guitars.just me?”

That sounds like a bad fit to me. I don't know why they aren't going with the tracks that Ross Hogarth had recorded an produced last summer.

And when I say "bad fit", I'm not talking about John, I'm talking about Eddie. Since Andy Johns produced them back in 1990, Eddie's only wanted "Yes Men" and pushovers around (hence Mike Post producing a Van Halen album, which turned out to be completely awful).

beach tribe
02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
The naked chic at the 50 second mark is awesome...only every rock star on earth HAS pulled that off.

:D

DMAC
02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
There is absolutely no chance this doesnt suck total and entire ass in every conceivable way.

Over-Head
02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Speaking of train wrecks... Lets talk Faster Pussycat....

they are very entertaining on stage... You never know if they are going to start fighting amongst themselves or what....

Loved em anyway, them, L.A.Gunns, and GnR :rockon:

Brock
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
There is absolutely no chance this doesnt suck total and entire ass in every conceivable way.

Well, it will be the first (supposedly) sober Van Halen record, so I guess anything is possible.

Easy 6
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Those jerkoffs cost me $125 a few years back, canceled their show in STL twice so Eddie could go to rehab... hadnt been on the road 3 months & he needed rehab.

That said, i'll buy this album. The two songs Roth did for the greatest hits took me right back to their heyday & i hope the new stuff is just as good.

DMAC
02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Well, it will be the first (supposedly) sober Van Halen record, so I guess anything is possible.

:spock:

Brock
02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
:spock:

I don't know how to interpret that.

Bowser
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Speaking of, Eddie Trunk was saying on his show last night that he has received an advance copy of Sammy Hagar's upcoming book "Red". Said he was 3/4 done with it, and it was an absolutely great read. Apparently Sammy went a little nuts during the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour with the womens.

And am I the only one that thinks future works by Van Halen will suck if there's no Michael Anthony?

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2011, 11:29 AM
And am I the only one that thinks future works by Van Halen will suck if there's no Michael Anthony?

Nope. Michael Anthony was key to their sound.

Hiring a producer that works in country music to produce Van Halen is an extremely odd choice (if he actually IS the confirmed producer). IMO, they'd have been better off with someone like Butch Vig, Joe Barresi, Ross, Elvis or Butch Walker. Just someone with a great track record of producing "difficult" artists.

I hope the album is freakin' awesome. But I don't know if there's ever been a case of a band that hasn't worked much or written much as a band in the past 20 years puts out an album that's in line with its legacy.

Brock
02-08-2011, 11:29 AM

I don't think so. IMO, he was a minimal contributor.

Bowser
02-08-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't think so. IMO, he was a minimal contributor.

His background vocals were as much of a defining sound to their early stuff as Eddie's riffs, imo. Hopefully it doesn't suck,and I'll certainly check it out, but......

Brock
02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
His background vocals were as much of a defining sound to their early stuff as Eddie's riffs, imo. Hopefully it doesn't suck,and I'll certainly check it out, but......

The only thing I know is that they sounded great live the two times I saw them a few years ago. The fat kid did a passable job.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
The only thing I know is that they sounded great live the two times I saw them a few years ago. The fat kid did a passable job.

It's infinitely easier to copy than it is to create.

That said, I certainly have an open mind about the new record and hope it's bad ass.

Bowser
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM

We'd all have an eating problem if our names were Wolfgang, lol. Not to sound obsessive here, but could you tell a difference with him (I'm assuming) on backup vocals instead of Anthony?

Bowser
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
That said, I certainly have an open mind about the new record and hope it's bad ass.

Yeah, that's where I'm at, too. These guys were a big part of the soundtrack of my youth, and I hope they can still crush it with a new album.

Brock
02-08-2011, 11:40 AM
We'd all have an eating problem if our names were Wolfgang, lol. Not to sound obsessive here, but could you tell a difference with him (I'm assuming) on backup vocals instead of Anthony?

I could not tell a difference. How much of that is piped in is anybody's guess. He didn't get a bass solo, which I was thankful for.

Brock
02-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Looking at this guy's discography, he does seem like a strange choice.

1998: Ask Anybody by Swirl 360
1999: Breakdown by Melissa Etheridge
2000: If These Walls Could Talk 2 by Various Artists (soundtrack)
2000: Sooner or Later by BBMak
2000: Bounce by Various Artists (soundtrack)
2000: Now You See Inside by SR-71
2001: Sweet November by Various Artists (soundtrack)
2001: Trouble in Shangri-La by Stevie Nicks
2001: The Spirit Room by Michelle Branch
2002: Surrender by Laura Pausini
2002: Elva by Unwritten Law
2002: Always Got Tonight by Chris Isaak
2002: C'mon C'mon by Sheryl Crow
2002: Rip It Off by Stroke 9
2003: Say You Will by Fleetwood Mac
2003: Hotel Paper by Michelle Branch
2003: Falling Uphill by Lillix
2003: Go by Vertical Horizon
2003: Strays by Jane's Addiction
2003: Metamorphosis by Hilary Duff
2003: The Very Best of Sheryl Crow by Sheryl Crow (greatest hits)
2004: Lucky by Melissa Etheridge
2004: Anastacia by Anastacia
2004: So-Called Chaos by Alanis Morissette
2004: Autobiography by Ashlee Simpson
2004: Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff
2004: Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson
2004: Blue Skies by Diana DeGarmo
2004: Be Here by Keith Urban
2004: Underneath by Hanson
2004: Speak by Lindsay Lohan
2005: Never Gone by Backstreet Boys
2005: Most Wanted by Hilary Duff (compilation)
2005: Have a Nice Day by Bon Jovi
2005: Wildflower by Sheryl Crow
2005: I Am Me by Ashlee Simpson
2005: Somebody's Miracle by Liz Phair
2005: Greatest Hits: The Road Less Traveled by Melissa Etheridge (greatest hits)
2005: The Collection by Alanis Morissette (greatest hits)
2005: Pieces of a Dream by Anastacia
2005: The Real Thing by Bo Bice
2006: Fortuneteller's Melody by SHeDAISY
2006: Stand Still, Look Pretty by The Wreckers
2006: Beautiful World by Take That
2007: Taking Chances by Céline Dion
2007: In This Life by Delta Goodrem
2007: Unbreakable by Backstreet Boys
2007: Greatest Hits by Sara Evans
2007: Lost Highway by Bon Jovi
2007: E² by Eros Ramazzotti
2008: Do You Know by Jessica Simpson
2008: The Circus by Take That
2009: Mr. Lucky by Chris Isaak
2009: The Time Of Our Lives by Miley Cyrus
2009: The Circle by Bon Jovi
2009: To Love Again by Alesha Dixon
2010: Fearless Love, by Melissa Etheridge
2010: Can't Be Tamed by Miley Cyrus
2010: Gravity by Westlife
2011: Untitled second studio album by Diana Vickers
2011: Untitled Van Halen album by Van Halen

stevieray
02-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I remember when me wise magic came out..great tune and I was stoked....and while a part of me hopes it kicks ass, after all the drama, I'm coming away with a meh feeling.

they've just wasted so much time...

Bowser
02-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Huh. He's got names on the resume, but not quite a Mutt Lange or Bob Rock list.....

Backstreet Boys? Miley Cyrus? The Simpson sisters?

stevieray
02-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Huh. He's got names on the resume, but not quite a Mutt Lange or Bob Rock list.....

Backstreet Boys? Miley Cyrus? The Simpson sisters?

I'd like to see TBone Burnett produce them.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I'd like to see TBone Burnett produce them.

While I'm sure could T-Bone produce a great album for them, he would rather kill himself than sit in a studio with EVH for 6 months to a year.

I've got some Andy Johns stories that would blow your mind and if I ever make it back for a game, I'll be sure to share. He's the last guy to produce Van Halen successfully and until I hear the next record, I'll be skeptical that anyone else will be able to reign in the egos in the room.

stevieray
02-08-2011, 12:08 PM
While I'm sure could T-Bone produce a great album for them, he would rather kill himself than sit in a studio with EVH for 6 months to a year.

He's the last guy to produce Van Halen successfully and until I hear the next record, I'll be skeptical that anyone else will be able to reign in the egos in the room.

damn, that's just...sad.

Mile High Mania
02-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I really hope it's a good album and Michael Anthony will certainly be missed... his vocals/harmony were key to the songs, IMO.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I really hope it's a good album and Michael Anthony will certainly be missed... his vocals/harmony were key to the songs, IMO.

Missing Michael Anthony, no Ted Templeman or Andy Johns and 30 years of age is what has me skeptical about a new Van Halen album.

The overwhelming majority of DLR-led Van Halen songs were written in the 70's. That includes songs released on the Women and Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down (which is mainly a cover record) and even 1984.

5150, OU812 and F.U.C.K were written in the 1980's and for the most part, are quite a bit of departure from Van Halen I & II, etc.

Eddie's guitar tone is completely different, Michael Anthony's bass and vocals will be missed and David Lee Roth hasn't had a "hit" record in more than 23 years.

I just hope that if it sucks, they realize it in the studio and decide not to release it.

Brock
02-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes, a lot of those songs were written much earlier. A lot of bootlegs from LA clubs are out there where you can hear early versions of a lot of them.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Yes, a lot of those songs were written much earlier. A lot of bootlegs from LA clubs are out there where you can hear early versions of a lot of them.

Have you heard the Gene Simmons produced set from 1976? I used to have it and lost it over the years on various hard drives. It's a trip because outside of Dave, the band sounds like Kiss.

alpha_omega
02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I too am skeptical, but i have hope!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
After "Strummin' With The Devil", how could we NOT be excited about this!

Brock
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Have you heard the Gene Simmons produced set from 1976? I used to have it and lost it over the years on various hard drives. It's a trip because outside of Dave, the band sounds like Kiss.

I'm in the same situation. I dl'd it some years and several computers ago and don't know what happened to it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm shocked that Eddie's kid could master the bass line to "Runnin' with the Devil". SHOCKED I SAY!