PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink I take back everything I ever said about Taco Bell

BWillie
08-10-2010, 07:04 PM
These new Catina taco's are absolutely amazing. I used to HATE, no no better word, DESPISE Taco Bell. These things actually taste like they could actually, just maybe, came from a real Mexican restaurant. The meat isn't that runny dog food looking meat. It's good tasting chicken, pork, or steak w/ cilantro in it.

$3 for two tacos. I don't even need to buy food. Taco Bell every meal.

Red Beans
08-10-2010, 07:08 PM
And thus, diarrhea every night. Get some hemorrhoid cream and consult you doctor before starting this diet.

BWillie
08-10-2010, 07:09 PM
And thus, diarrhea every night. Get some hemorrhoid cream and consult you doctor before starting this diet.

Eh, they have these kind of Taco's at a couple Mexican restaurants I frequent on a regular basis. I haven't had any problems. Taco Bell makes them almost as good, and cheaper. Obviously they aren't great for you, but looking at the nutrition facts they don't look as bad as 90% of what most people eat out to eat

Param
08-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Why so much h8 for a $1 food item? Taco Bell isn't bad. Glad to see you come around.

BWillie
08-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Why so much h8 for a $1 food item? Taco Bell isn't bad. Glad to see you come around.

Their other tacos still are terrible. They've upgraded their chicken tacos a bit, but increased the price on what they charge. Most of the meat they put on their other tacos looks like dog diarrhea

|Zach|
08-10-2010, 07:12 PM

This has come up in another thread. I have never had that problem from eating out somewhere....am I weird or something?

|Zach|
08-10-2010, 07:13 PM
I get TBell every now and again. Alot less since not being in college. I don't ever get their tacos.

Steak Cheesy Gorditta (sp?) Crunch or Steak Supreme Chalupa.

Pablo
08-10-2010, 07:14 PM
This has come up in another thread. I have never had that problem from eating out somewhere....am I weird or something?No. It's just the general CP snobbery aspect of things.

Bud Light will give the shits that's why I don't drink it.

Taco Bell is nasty dog food that gives you dysentery.

I ONLY USE FRANKS HOT SAUCE BECAUSE LOUISIANA BRAND WILL BURN YOUR COLON IN HALF.

The general consensus on the internet is that if it's popular or relatively cheap, it's the worst thing ever.

BWillie
08-10-2010, 07:14 PM
This has come up in another thread. I have never had that problem from eating out somewhere....am I weird or something?

You just have tapeworms. No big deal.

|Zach|
08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
You just have tapeworms. No big deal.

Damn

Bearcat
08-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Haven't eaten there in a while, but I used to get the grilled stuffed burritos every once in a while... very filling. There's a place close to work in the Northland, Los Tarascos... it's hole in the wall across from Price Chopper on Vivion and North Oak, and it's pretty amazing.

Hydrae
08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
These new Catina taco's are absolutely amazing. I used to HATE, no no better word, DESPISE Taco Bell. These things actually taste like they could actually, just maybe, came from a real Mexican restaurant. The meat isn't that runny dog food looking meat. It's good tasting chicken, pork, or steal w/ cilantro in it.

Bet those are a good price. :D

KcMizzou
08-10-2010, 07:21 PM
The general consensus on the internet is that if it's popular or relatively cheap, it's the worst thing ever.Heheh, yeah that's true of anything... not just food.

InChiefsHeaven
08-10-2010, 07:22 PM
I can't eat Taco Bell as much as I used to, simply because of the fat...but DAMN, I luvs me some Taco Bell. I don't care what anyone says...I'll eat the hell out of it given the chance.

Looking forward to the new Cantina Tacos...

BWillie
08-10-2010, 07:24 PM
I can't eat Taco Bell as much as I used to, simply because of the fat...but DAMN, I luvs me some Taco Bell. I don't care what anyone says...I'll eat the hell out of it given the chance.

These tacos have 2 grams of fat in them if you get the chicken. Even if you get the pork is like 2.5.

http://www.tacobell.com/menuitem/cantina-taco-chicken

KcMizzou
08-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Looking forward to the new Cantina Tacos...Me too. I've gone there for lunch a couple of times and passed on them. I usually eat in the car, and they look pretty messy.

I'll have to give em a shot.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 08:22 PM
These new Catina taco's are absolutely amazing. I used to HATE, no no better word, DESPISE Taco Bell. These things actually taste like they could actually, just maybe, came from a real Mexican restaurant. The meat isn't that runny dog food looking meat. It's good tasting chicken, pork, or steak w/ cilantro in it.

It's a Baja chicken taco.

LMAO

I could throw a rock and hit Mexican joints that make them better and cheaper. Better yet, I can go to the Mexican market and get marinated chicken, steak or carnitas and grill them quickly and easily myself.

I'm happy for you and your newest "discovery".

:D

Hammock Parties
08-10-2010, 08:25 PM
facebook repost

Pablo
08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
It's a Baja chicken taco.

LMAO

I could throw a rock and hit Mexican joints that make them better and cheaper. Better yet, I can go to the Mexican market and get marinated chicken, steak or carnitas and grill them quickly and easily myself.

I'm happy for you and your newest "discovery".

:DOn the converse, somebody in California just ate at a Famous Dave's chain and is super-stoked about "the best BBQ ever".

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Yeah, me too/ Love Taco Bell but trying to cut the fat /cholesterol/sodium/sugar. Been eating fruit for brunch and chef salad for dinner . But NOW thanks to this damn message board I'll just have to go TB once!

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 08:54 PM
On the converse, somebody in California just ate at a Famous Dave's chain and is super-stoked about "the best BBQ ever".

Californians just don't understand BBQ and most don't even know HOW to BBQ.

I can't tell you how many times I've been to cookouts where a hamburger was just a ball of unseasoned meat and grilled chicken was thrown on a grill with no rub or even BBQ sauce.

Then they come to my place for burgers, chicken, etc. and completely freakout.

We had a couple from NY over recently and they brought their kids. He said he just couldn't get over the "BBQ Mentality" in California because in NY, they'd only grill out on holiday weekends (Labor Day, Memorial Day and the 4th).

He saw me season the hamburger before cooking and after taking a bite said "Wow! Now, did I see you season the meat before grilling? Is that why this tastes so awesome?".

LMAO

Red Beans
08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Shaun Smith loves em!

RJ
08-10-2010, 09:07 PM

I can't tell you how many times I've been to cookouts where a hamburger was just a ball of unseasoned meat and grilled chicken was thrown on a grill with no rub or even BBQ sauce.

We had a couple from NY over recently and they brought their kids. He said he just couldn't get over the "BBQ Mentality" in California because in NY, they'd only grill out on holiday weekends (Labor Day, Memorial Day and the 4th).

He saw me season the hamburger before cooking and after taking a bite said "Wow! Now, did I see you season the meat before grilling? Is that why this tastes so awesome?".

LMAO

Seasoning before cooking. What a concept, huh?

My ex in-laws from Wisconsin were the same way.

"RJ, this is delicious. What did you put on it?".

"Uh, salt and pepper?".

KcMizzou
08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Seasoning before cooking. What a concept, huh?

My ex in-laws from Wisconsin were the same way.

"RJ, this is delicious. What did you put on it?".

"Uh, salt and pepper?".Heh, I don't know if I'd tell 'em. "secret recipe"

RJ
08-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Heh, I don't know if I'd tell 'em. "secret recipe"

I went to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving once.

Once.

Man, those were some bland white folks.

Not to mention that they didn't drink.

Pitt Gorilla
08-10-2010, 10:13 PM
This has come up in another thread. I have never had that problem from eating out somewhere....am I weird or something?No, I'm the same way. Nothing, though, really bothers me. I eat a lot of hot sauce, lettuce, beans, etc. and nothing really bothers my digestion, fast food or otherwise.

Pitt Gorilla
08-10-2010, 10:15 PM

LMAONone of what you describe is "BBQ." Grilling? Hamburger? Come on.

KcMizzou
08-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I went to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving once.

Once.

Man, those were some bland white folks.

Not to mention that they didn't drink.That sounds... brutal. How did you unluck into the one family in Wisconsin that doesn't drink beer?

I know a guy who finds watching football on Thanksgiving offensive. He had a whole rant about it. He was seriously upset, talking about how it should be about family and all....

I was... baffled. I mean... that's just what you do. That's what my family does anyway. A nice turkey induced nap, while watching the Lions lose... it's tradition. We do it as a family. :shrug:

DeezNutz
08-10-2010, 10:20 PM

You make Eva and Lindsey eat burgers? Step up your game, player. :(

KcMizzou
08-10-2010, 10:20 PM
No, I'm the same way. Nothing, though, really bothers me. I eat a lot of hot sauce, lettuce, beans, etc. and nothing really bothers my digestion, fast food or otherwise.Likewise. I can eat jalapenos with breakfast. Doesn't matter.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
None of what you describe is "BBQ." Grilling? Hamburger? Come on.

That's the point: Even the simplest of tasks is befuddling to the average Californian.

Smoked meats, beans, sauce, ribs, pulled pork, etc. are way beyond their comprehension level.

Tony Roma's is considered "good" out here.

LMAO

Reaper16
08-10-2010, 10:34 PM
1.) FUCK YOU Bwillie for having shitty taste. Jesus. Please, please, please redeem yourself by eating real tacos over in KCK. Please for the love of all that is Holy. Because if you like these new "cantina tacos" then the real tacos that Taco Bell is ripping off will blow your mind.

2.) FUCK YOU Taco Bell. Previously we had an understanding. You'd make your inoffensive, only-vaguely-Mexican-inspired cheap food and you'd leave the real Mexican cuisine to those with more discerning palates. Now you're straight ripping off a Mexican street taco - one of the most perfect foods on Earth - and I couldn't be angrier with you for it.

3.) DANE DON'T EVEN TRY AND PLAY THAT SHIT LIKE KANSAS CITY DOESN'T HAVE EXCELLENT MEXICAN JUST BECAUSE BWILLIE IS A DUMBSHIT. That SoCal doesn't have barbecue is not the converse of KC not having Mexican. KC has a lot of good-ass Mexican. Obv. not in the same league of depth as in CA.

DeezNutz
08-10-2010, 10:35 PM
then the real tacos that Taco Bell is ripping off will blow your mind.

Tacos, enjoy the infraction.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 10:36 PM
3.) DANE DON'T EVEN TRY AND PLAY THAT SHIT LIKE KANSAS CITY DOESN'T HAVE EXCELLENT MEXICAN JUST BECAUSE BWILLIE IS A DUMBSHIT. That SoCal doesn't have barbecue is not the converse of KC not having Mexican. KC has a lot of good-ass Mexican. Obv. not in the same league of depth as in CA.

LMAO

I LOVE it! A little anger from Reaper!

:evil:

KcMizzou
08-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Love the passion.

Reaper16
08-10-2010, 10:38 PM
LMAO

I LOVE it! A little anger from Reaper!

:evil:
I'm here in Tuscaloosa and I am missing the tacos al pastor from El Camino Real in KCK something fierce right now. I saw this thread and went into rage mode.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm here in Tuscaloosa and I am missing the tacos al pastor from El Camino Real in KCK something fierce right now. I saw this thread and went into rage mode.

I'm sure they have a Taco Bell there

Reaper16
08-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm sure they have a Taco Bell there
LMAO

They do. That's where I first saw the "cantina taco," on a Taco Bell building before the commercials even started airing. And I loudly yelled about this shit in a bar later that night.

luv
08-10-2010, 10:44 PM
About the only thing I get from Taco Bell is the Cheesy Beefy Melt, the Chicken Grilled Stuffed Burrito, or the Baja Chicken Gordita.

bevischief
08-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Likewise. I can eat jalapenos with breakfast. Doesn't matter.

this

NewChief
08-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Yeah, go to any taqueria around here and get 5 of those for about 3 bucks, and I promise they'll be a hell of a lot better than the ones Taco Bell is serving. You'll also be able to choose from about 10 different meats and cuts like al pastor, barbacoa, tripe, lengua, and chicharones.

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 07:16 AM

You have a El Camino Real in KCK? I have one in my little town and it is run by all Mexicans. Pretty good shit.

My first job was for Taco Bell and I worked all through high school and college at one. The stories I could tell.....

NewChief
08-11-2010, 07:27 AM
You have a El Camino Real in KCK? I have one in my little town and it is run by all Mexicans. Pretty good shit.

My first job was for Taco Bell and I worked all through high school and college at one. The stories I could tell.....

I think many towns with a decent population of Mexicans have a restaurant called El Camino Real. I think it's a traditional name for restaurants in Mexican-American culture. We have one as well. I don't think they're all part of the same "chain."

It's sort of like Silk Road with asian cuisine.

El Jefe
08-11-2010, 07:30 AM

Don't tease us, give us something lol.

blaise
08-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Yeah, go to any taqueria around here and get 5 of those for about 3 bucks, and I promise they'll be a hell of a lot better than the ones Taco Bell is serving. You'll also be able to choose from about 10 different meats and cuts like al pastor, barbacoa, tripe, lengua, and chicharones.

That's true. I go to a little taco shop right near my house like that, but I also go to Taco Bell sometimes. If I'm out driving around and I just want to drive through and get something to eat I don't think Taco Bell is too bad. It's nothing great, it's just convenient and fast and cheap.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-11-2010, 07:34 AM
this is bizarre. every review I've read of these say they suck, yet someone with access to "real" Mexican food comes here and talks about how great they are?

Baby Lee
08-11-2010, 07:54 AM
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/taco-bell-cantina-tacos-taqueria-mexican-chain-fast-food.html

NewChief
08-11-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/taco-bell-cantina-tacos-taqueria-mexican-chain-fast-food.html

Did not score so well here:
http://www.grubgrade.com/2010/07/29/fast-food-review-cantina-tacos-from-taco-bell/#more-13942

KCUnited
08-11-2010, 09:54 AM
"Nah, I can't make it out Jim, I've got this Taco Bell write up that's due by 4 p.m. today. There's rumors of a new veggie burger are coming out of the Carl's Jr. camp, really swamped right now."

NewChief
08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
"Nah, I can't make it out Jim, I've got this Taco Bell write up that's due by 4 p.m. today. There's rumors of a new veggie burger are coming out of the Carl's Jr. camp, really swamped right now."

NEWS FLASH:

Taco Bell now serving actual tacos!

vailpass
08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
It has always cracked me up that Taco Bell is alive and thriving here in Phoenix. There is a 'bertos on every corner (Rolbertos, Filibertos, etc.) and any number of bean barrels serving tasty authentic mexican yet there are plenty of people who will eat Taco Bell.
I can see why you would make a run for the border if you didn't live in little mexico but why eat a shitty imitation when you can get the real thing?

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I think many towns with a decent population of Mexicans have a restaurant called El Camino Real. I think it's a traditional name for restaurants in Mexican-American culture. We have one as well. I don't think they're all part of the same "chain."

It's sort of like Silk Road with asian cuisine.

I have been real curious about that. I was up in KC not to long ago and went to El Maguey and they had the EXACT same menu as the El Camino in our town.

NewChief
08-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I have been real curious about that. I was up in KC not to long ago and went to El Maguey and they had the EXACT same menu as the El Camino in our town.

Maybe they -are- all chained together. We have one in Arkansas called La Huerta. It's the same family, and they have like 16-20 different restaurants scattered all over the state. Same name and same basic menu.

Our El Camino Real is one of the better Mexican restaurants in town. They have a killer brunch with stuff like heuvos motulenos.

|Zach|
08-11-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't know why people keep thinking that folks who go to Taco Bell are trying to get Mexican food. They aren't. People that go to Taco Bell are looking to get Taco Bell.

All these little authentic places that do good work are not known quantities. I am not making a judgement on their quality. I am sure they are better but when you go to Taco Bell you know what you are going to get and people like that.

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Maybe they -are- all chained together. We have one in Arkansas called La Huerta. It's the same family, and they have like 16-20 different restaurants scattered all over the state. Same name and same basic menu.

Our El Camino Real is one of the better Mexican restaurants in town. They have a killer brunch with stuff like heuvos motulenos.

Our El Camino Real doesn't have brunch. I am getting hungry now so i think I will have some Mexican.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
this is bizarre. every review I've read of these say they suck, yet someone with access to "real" Mexican food comes here and talks about how great they are?

This is BWillie we're talking about here...

NewChief
08-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Our El Camino Real doesn't have brunch. I am getting hungry now so i think I will have some Mexican.

Here's the menu for ours. The breakfast/brunch menu isn't online, though:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/913226?p=1

Skyy God
08-11-2010, 10:50 AM
The real question is, how do the cantina tacos go with a new episode of Entourage?

blaise
08-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't know why people keep thinking that folks who go to Taco Bell are trying to get Mexican food. They aren't. People that go to Taco Bell are looking to get Taco Bell.

All these little authentic places that do good work are not known quantities. I am not making a judgement on their quality. I am sure they are better but when you go to Taco Bell you know what you are going to get and people like that.

I know, but no matter what you say you like someone here has to tell you that they know a place 100 times better that puts wherever you ate to shame.

boogblaster
08-11-2010, 10:56 AM
TB sucks .......................

Pasta Little Brioni
08-11-2010, 10:56 AM
The real question is, how do the cantina tacos go with a new episode of Entourage?

People still watch Entourage??

teedubya
08-11-2010, 11:06 AM
I tried and hated those cantina tacos. I tried one of each so that I wouldn't be a hater.

They sucked.

I love the steak soft tacos with jalepenos added. yum. Plus it's the only place to get Baja Blast Mountain Dew, that is certainly horrible for you.

gblowfish
08-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Taco Bell is dog food for drunks at 3am.

Baby Lee
08-11-2010, 11:10 AM
I tried and hated those cantina tacos. I tried one of each so that I wouldn't be a hater.

They sucked.

I love the steak soft tacos with jalepenos added. yum. Plus it's the only place to get Baja Blast Mountain Dew, that is certainly horrible for you.

Specifics?

Bad flavor or no flavor, too small or too big, etc.

|Zach|
08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
I know, but no matter what you say you like someone here has to tell you that they know a place 100 times better that puts wherever you ate to shame.

It is just funny. As if people that go to Taco Bell proclaim it to be the best mexican food. LMAO

ChiTown
08-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Taco Bell is dog food for drunks at 3am.

I just tried the steak cantina tacos about 30 minutes ago. Is was a mouthful of MEH. I agree, though. When you're hammered, there's little better than T-Bell.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
When you're hammered, there's little better than T-Bell.

Nothing touches a 3am drunk breakfast

ChiTown
08-11-2010, 11:34 AM

10-4 to that. However, I like the option of never leaving the car, while I slobber down some food.:drool:

blaise
08-11-2010, 11:35 AM
10-4 to that. However, I like the option of never leaving the car, while I slobber down some food.:drool:

That option is good, but there's something awesome about sitting in a booth at 3 am and having a waitress bring you eggs and bacon.

NewChief
08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
It is just funny. As if people that go to Taco Bell proclaim it to be the best mexican food. LMAO

The point, to me at least, was that Taco Bell does Taco Bell just fine. This is Taco Bell trying to do something else, though.

I don't really eat fast food much anymore, but I liked Taco Bell when I did. I think I prefer Taco Bueno, though.

KCUnited
08-11-2010, 11:39 AM
My first bite was "Meh", but I really found the authenticity that I was looking for when I added their mild sauce.

NewChief
That option is good, but there's something awesome about sitting in a booth at 3 am and having a waitress bring you eggs and bacon.

We used to have a 24 hour diner attached to our bowling alley called Pete's Place. If it were still around, it would totally be Diners, Drive-in, and Dives worthy. They had everything from gyro omelettes to steaks to biscuits and gravy to chef's salads. Absolutely huge menu cooked to order. The ultimate greasy spoon. Spent many a morning in there staring bleary eyed into a plate holding a gyro omelette.

teedubya
Specifics?

Bad flavor or no flavor, too small or too big, etc.

I didn't like the flavor of the tortilla. And it does seem pretty authentic, as far as mexican tacos go. I prefer flour tortillas, over soft corn tortillas. Plus, each taco as TWO of these soft corn tortillas.

Not a fan.

Bowser
08-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Crotcho Smell

NewChief
08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I didn't like the flavor of the tortilla. And it does seem pretty authentic, as far as mexican tacos go. I prefer flour tortillas, over soft corn tortillas. Plus, each taco as TWO of these soft corn tortillas.

Not a fan.

Yeah, the two tortilla thing is traditional for that type of taco.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Not a fan.

That's exactly how they're served at any Mexican taco stand in SoCal or in Baja.

And I'm the exact opposite when it comes to tacos: Tacos are corn, burritos and quesadilla's are flour.

Tacos should never be served on a flour tortilla. It's counter to the flavor, especially carnitas.

NewChief
08-11-2010, 11:46 AM
That's exactly how they're served at any Mexican taco stand in SoCal or in Baja.

And I'm the exact opposite when it comes to tacos: Tacos are corn, burritos are flour.

Yeah. I've really come around to the corn tortilla in the last couple of years. It's pretty much all we eat at our house anymore.

Best way that we do them is just crank up our range's propane burners on low heat and throw them straight on top of them. Heats them and browns them at the same time. Delicious. They're also great on the grill, but we don't grill as much as a lot of folks on here.

L.A. Chieffan
08-11-2010, 11:47 AM
danes right, i have about 10 little joints within 2 miles of my place that would destroy taco bell for under a $1.

i tried Chronic Tacos yesterday and it wasnt bad nor pricey. Does KC have those?

REDHOTGTO
08-11-2010, 11:51 AM
i tried all of them yesterday, they make a turd thats about all i can brag on them

sedated
08-11-2010, 11:54 AM
"Whatever you are talking about sucks, and you are an idiot for even considering buying their product"

[/chiefsplanet]

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah. I've really come around to the corn tortilla in the last couple of years. It's pretty much all we eat at our house anymore.

Best way that we do them is just crank up our range's propane burners on low heat and throw them straight on top of them. Heats them and browns them at the same time. Delicious. They're also great on the grill, but we don't grill as much as a lot of folks on here.

I just heat them up in a small pan set to medium for about one minute per side.

And FWIW guys, these "Cantina" tacos are just Tacos Al Carbon.

And you should never, under any circumstances, use taco sauce.

Pico De Gallo only.

:D

Pioli Zombie
08-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Based on this recommendation I am trying on right now. This is the worst fucking shit I've had in my mouth since I went down on Bugeaters mom. I would rather eat YOUR SHIT than this. Thanks loads.

MOhillbilly
08-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Based on this recommendation I am trying on right now. This is the worst ****ing shit I've had in my mouth since I went down on Bugeaters mom. I would rather eat YOUR SHIT than this. Thanks loads.

your mom has the best fish taco.

Skyy God
08-11-2010, 02:56 PM
People still watch Entourage??

Apparently.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119702&page=61

Reaper16
08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Taco Bell, previously, wasn't even trying to serve Mexican food. The reason I'm mad is because now they are.

El Maguey is a large MO chain. It is the same menu, more or less, that every single crappy little Mexican place in nearly state has; it does sound a lot like Arkansas' La Huerta. The restaurant called El Camino Real that I referred to is on 7th Street in KCK and is not a chain. It is a small little shack that I've only once seen another white person in beyond me and who I was with. Best al pastor I've ever had.

Stewie
08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
The restaurant called El Camino Real that I referred to is on 7th Street in KCK and is not a chain. It is a small little shack that I've only once seen another white person in beyond me and who I was with. Best al pastor I've ever had.

Been to El Pollo Rey? I love that place. The only menu item is 1/2 or whole chicken. It's on Kansas Avenue in KCK.

Reaper16
08-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Been to El Pollo Rey? I love that place. The only menu item is 1/2 or whole chicken. It's on Kansas Avenue in KCK.
FUCK YES. I've been to El Pollo Rey dozens of times. Everyone should go to El Pollo Rey. People are doing themselves, and Kansas City, a disservice by not going. Best non-fried chicken in the city... well, it's tied with Woodyard's barbecue chicken at least.

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Taco Bell, previously, wasn't even trying to serve Mexican food. The reason I'm mad is because now they are.

El Maguey is a large MO chain. It is the same menu, more or less, that every single crappy little Mexican place in nearly state has; it does sound a lot like Arkansas' La Huerta. The restaurant called El Camino Real that I referred to is on 7th Street in KCK and is not a chain. It is a small little shack that I've only once seen another white person in beyond me and who I was with. Best al pastor I've ever had.

Do you happen to know what the name of the chain is for El Maguey? I love the El Camino Real where I live.

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Here's the menu for ours. The breakfast/brunch menu isn't online, though:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/913226?p=1

Damn they have some good prices and it looks good.

58-4ever
08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Update: I tried all three and it was not that bad. Overall good suggestion, but I'd still rather get the authentic stuff from a truck.

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I am going to have to try El Pollo Rey. That sounds freaking good.

Reaper16
08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Do you happen to know what the name of the chain is for El Maguey? I love the El Camino Real where I live.
The name of the El Maguey chain is called "El Maguey Mexican Restaurant." I guess I'm not sure what you're asking.

Pioli Zombie
08-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Two Amigos (or is it Three?) On 75th just west of 35 is GREAT. Authentic. Mostly Mexicans in there. Big bowls of soup. Who knew about Mexican soup?

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 03:37 PM
The name of the El Maguey chain is called "El Maguey Mexican Restaurant." I guess I'm not sure what you're asking.

I was thinking maybe who owns them went by a different name. El Maguey had the exact same menu, salsa, chips, furniture etc that the El Camino Real does where I live. That is why I was curious.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I was thinking maybe who owns them went by a different name. El Maguey had the exact same menu, salsa, chips, furniture etc that the El Camino Real does where I live. That is why I was curious.

Putumayo

Cinqo de Mayo

sedated
08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Two Amigos (or is it Three?) On 75th just west of 35 is GREAT. Authentic. Mostly Mexicans in there. Big bowls of soup. Who knew about Mexican soup?

omg that place is awful.

sedated
08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Putumayo

Cinco De Mayo

only according to HE Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist.

teedubya
08-11-2010, 04:12 PM

I went into an EL Maguey... and there were only dude servers, which was kind of El MaGAY.

shitgoose
08-11-2010, 04:33 PM
those taco bell cantina tacos suck. I had them for lunch.

KcMizzou
08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
those taco bell cantina tacos suck. I had them for lunch.
Yeah, I didn't care for them either.

Bearcat
08-11-2010, 04:59 PM

IHOP FTW.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
I prefer Taco Bell to pretty much all other fast food.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 06:09 PM
IHOP FTW.

1. Kitchen 24

2. The 101 (which was seen in Swingers and is within walking distance of my house).

3. Mel's Diner (from American Graffiti. They're all over Hollywood).

4. Jerry's Famous Deli (excellent breakfast and full menu).

5. House of Pies (awesome breakfast food)

6. Denny's, IHOP, etc.

Brock
08-11-2010, 06:12 PM
One of these days I'll get around to trying a chicken and waffles place.

milkman
08-11-2010, 06:12 PM
1. Kitchen 24

2. The 101 (which was seen in Swingers and is within walking distance of my house).

3. Mel's Diner (from American Graffiti. They're all over Hollywood).

4. Jerry's Famous Deli (excellent breakfast and full menu).

5. House of Pies (awesome breakfast food)

6. Denny's, IHOP, etc.

Years ago, Denny's used to have some of the best breakfast you could find in an inexpensive chain restaurant.

Now, not so much.

milkman
08-11-2010, 06:17 PM
i tried all of them yesterday, they make a turd thats about all i can brag on them

Back when I was running a school route in the San Fernando valley, me and my buddy that I carpooled with used to stop at a Del Taco on our way out of Van Nuys a couple of days a week.

Got the Macho Combo Burrito.

Used to say, I was getting the William Perry burrito so I could take a Nate Newton shit.

BWillie
08-11-2010, 06:24 PM
WOW

You people in here sure are passionate about Mexican food. I didn't know you could be an idiot for liking a food item, but I guess you can? I'm not saying these things are as good as what most authentic restaurants serve, but I still thought they were good. THIS TYPE of Taco I always love to get at authentic restaurants and I was pretty happy to find out Taco Bell was offering a knock off. I probably like them because I'm a relatively plain eater. Most people put pico and hot sauce on it, but I usually just eat them as is. I just really don't taste a huge difference than alot of other restaurants serve, and I go to those all the time. If you think these tacos are worse than the other tacos they serve then I don't know what to tell you

Brock
08-11-2010, 06:25 PM
When I was up in Washington a couple of months ago, I tried a taco place I'd never heard of called Taco Time. It was pretty good.

milkman
08-11-2010, 06:27 PM
WOW

You people in here sure are passionate about Mexican food. I didn't know you could be an idiot for liking a food item, but I guess you can? I'm not saying these things are as good as what most authentic restaurants serve, but I still thought they were good. THIS TYPE of Taco I always love to get at authentic restaurants and I was pretty happy to find out Taco Bell was offering a knock off. I probably like them because I'm a relatively plain eater. Most people put pico and hot sauce on it, but I usually just eat them as is. I just really don't taste a huge difference than alot of other restaurants serve, and I go to those all the time. If you think these tacos are worse than the other tacos they serve then I don't know what to tell you

Haven't you learned yet that it doesn't matter what kind of food or drink you discuss, there's always going to be snobs to tell you that whatever it is sucks?

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 06:29 PM
WOW

It just means that food quality, taste, ingredients and preparation just aren't important to you.

There's nothing wrong with that but if you can't tell the difference between Taco Bell and a taco from an authentic Mexican restaurant, then it's really an unimportant discussion.

milkman
08-11-2010, 06:30 PM
When I lived in Wichita back in the late 70s, there was a place (on Evergreen, I think), called Taco USA.

Had the best Amerimexican food anywhere.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Years ago, Denny's used to have some of the best breakfast you could find in an inexpensive chain restaurant.

Now, not so much.

Yeah, I have no idea, either.

15 years ago, Denny's was pretty decent and always reliable, from location to location.

On the rare occassions we've eaten at Denny's the past few years, it's incredibly inconsistent. The hash browns are never cooked properly, the bacon has to be sent back because it's not cooked to order and overall, it's just not even average quality food.

The service is always excellent but that's about the best thing I can say these days about Denny's.

milkman
08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I have no idea, either.

15 years ago, Denny's was pretty decent and always reliable, from location to location.

On the rare occassions we've eaten at Denny's the past few years, it's incredibly inconsistent. The hash browns are never cooked properly, the bacon has to be sent back because it's not cooked to order and overall, it's just not even average quality food.

The service is always excellent but that's about the best thing I can say these days about Denny's.

Like every other business, Denny's cut cost at the expense of quality.

One of the ways they did that was by cutting some good managers, and cooks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Tried them for the fuck of it.

They were horrible.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-11-2010, 07:33 PM
FWIW, I ate at a Gray's Papaya on 72nd in Manhattan on Monday.

It was the best goddamned hot dog there ever was.

SAUTO
08-11-2010, 07:37 PM

been there on 7 st MANY times. really like it. we have an elcamino real in town here that is the sister to the one dirk referenced.

not

the

same......
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
08-11-2010, 07:41 PM
but i eat at the one in town and its good bug still not the same.

and i concur on el pollo rey

about ten years ago there was a lissas on ks ave about a block past 14 st on the south side

mazatlan torta FTMFW.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red
I'm not even going to make anything up, I truly miss the bellbeefer, circa 1979-1988ish

NewChief

I'll say that one of our local joints (previously specializing in gourmet grilled cheeses) is putting out some badass dogs these days:

http://thefoodfile.com/hammontrees-introduces-hot-diggity-dogs-the-dish/2048

Looks at these dog descriptions:

http://hammontreesgourmet.com/sitebuilder/images/hot_dogs_2-001-529x712.jpg

SAUTO
08-11-2010, 07:43 PM

my pops still lives a couple of blocks away... man i need to go visit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red
08-11-2010, 07:46 PM

Have you happened to try the franks at Fluties yet, 'Hamas?'

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 07:46 PM

Now, not so much.

So did Shoney's. Their breakfast buffet was awesome.

Simply Red
08-11-2010, 07:48 PM

Stawberry Gel-infused Pie MF'ER!

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Stawberry Gel-infused Pie MF'ER!

That doesn't sound good

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I'll say that one of our local joints (previously specializing in gourmet grilled cheeses) is putting out some badass dogs these days:

http://thefoodfile.com/hammontrees-introduces-hot-diggity-dogs-the-dish/2048

Looks at these dog descriptions:

http://hammontreesgourmet.com/sitebuilder/images/hot_dogs_2-001-529x712.jpg

Honestly, two dogs with ketchup + a drink for 4.45 in New York is a damned hard combo to beat.

milkman
08-11-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm not even going to make anything up, I truly miss the bellbeefer, circa 1979-1988ish

I've lamented the loss of those on here before.

Used to be able to get them up until about '95 at a Taco Bell in the San Fernando Valley, but that was the last holdout.

Then they dropped the Chili Cheese Burritos and I no longer had any reason to eat there ever again.

milkman
08-11-2010, 08:08 PM

Never seen a Shoney's here in California.

I think I might have seen one in the KC area when I lived in Leavenworth growing up, but I can't remember to say I did with any certainty.

NewChief
08-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Honestly, two dogs with ketchup + a drink for 4.45 in New York is a damned hard combo to beat.

A drink of water in NYC for $4.45 is hard to beat. My wife goes up there for business a few times a year, and her receipts are just insane when she comes home. LA isn't much better. Luckily it's all on the company tab.

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Used to be able to get them up until about '95 at a Taco Bell in the San Fernando Valley, but that was the last holdout.

Then they dropped the Chili Cheese Burritos and I no longer had any reason to eat there ever again.

They did drop Chili Cheese Burritos for a while but they have been back for a few years.

milkman
08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
They did drop Chili Cheese Burritos for a while but they have been back for a few years.

Well, you see, I had no reason to go there, so I didn't know that.

sedated
08-11-2010, 08:23 PM
It just means that food quality, taste, ingredients and preparation just aren't important to you.

There's nothing wrong with that but if you can't tell the difference between Taco Bell and a taco from an authentic Mexican restaurant, then it's really an unimportant discussion.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be overwhelmingly condescending, or if its just they way you are.

No one said it was "authentic Mexican food". Its taco f**king bell. Many people are simply surprised they would come out with a quality product.

And its KC, not southern f**king california. We don't have taco stands run by hoards of illegal mexican immigrants on every corner. In reality, the best we have here is a chain of tex-mex run by money-laundering drug dealers.

But a ton of people like that stuff. If it makes you sleep better to feel superior to a bunch of plain-palated midwesterners, then by all means take your nightly bath in rendered duck fat before you nibble on prawn and cashew cucumber cup canapes.

-King-
08-11-2010, 08:28 PM
It's amazing how you guys always get "authentic" food. Do you guys fly to China for Egg rolls and rice?

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, you see, I had no reason to go there, so I didn't know that.

Well now you can go. Try one of them with sour cream.

-King-
08-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure if you are trying to be overwhelmingly condescending, or if its just they way you are.

No one said it was "authentic Mexican food". Its taco f**king bell. Many people are simply surprised they would come out with a quality product.

And its KC, not southern f**king california. We don't have taco stands run by hoards of illegal mexican immigrants on every corner. In reality, the best we have here is a chain of tex-mex run by money-laundering drug dealers.

But a ton of people like that stuff. If it makes you sleep better to feel superior to a bunch of plain-palated midwesterners, then by all means take your nightly bath in rendered duck fat before you nibble on prawn and cashew cucumber cup canapes.

This.

Person A: I bought some hanes boxers today....

Person B: WTF? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? HANES? YOU COULDN'T GET SOME AUTHENTIC JOCKEYS? WTF!

Simply Red
08-11-2010, 08:43 PM

yes, they were awesome, I also miss the black olive option at the bell.

SAUTO
08-11-2010, 09:10 PM
yes, they were awesome, I also miss the black olive option at the bell.

me too.... damn why did you have to go there?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pablo
08-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Taco Bell mexican pizza is the alpha and omega of drunk-time fast food.

Perfection.

DeezNutz
08-11-2010, 09:52 PM
The enchirito (beef) is the best item on the Taco Bell menu.

doomy3
08-11-2010, 09:58 PM

ROFL

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 10:01 PM

That is my all-time favorite Taco Bell menu item but sadly, they don't serve them in SoCal.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 10:04 PM

LMAO

JFC, Dude, take a chill pill.

Of course I was being condescending. I really like BWillie but I also love to flip him shit. I do the same thing to my younger brothers. It's all tongue-in-cheek.

Simply Red
08-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Taco Via!

Reaper16
08-12-2010, 12:25 AM

You're totally fucking wrong about the best that KC has. Fucking Christ, I hate you so much right now. I wish you were dead.

It's amazing how you guys always get "authentic" food. Do you guys fly to China for Egg rolls and rice?
What does this even mean? This has, like, two levels of stupidity going for it.

Haven't you learned yet that it doesn't matter what kind of food or drink you discuss, there's always going to be snobs to tell you that whatever it is sucks?
Don't bitch to me just because your tastebuds wore out, senior. :D

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 12:30 AM

Dumb.

Dumb fucking dumb fucking dumb.

:shake:

KcMizzou
08-12-2010, 12:47 AM
So did Shoney's. Their breakfast buffet was awesome.Used to be a bit of a tradition to hit Shoney's breakfast buffet on Armor road/210 HWY... on the way to Chiefs games. Coming from up north, anyway.

Silock
08-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Taco Bell's fresco menu is pretty decent. Chicken fresco tacos are tasty.

Simply Red
08-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Taco Bell's fresco menu is pretty decent. Chicken fresco tacos are tasty.

yeah, i like the soft-taco. Not too bad. decent damage cntl. too. lol

Simply Red
08-12-2010, 06:28 AM
You're totally ****ing wrong about the best that KC has. ****ing Christ, I hate you so much right now. I wish you were dead.

What does this even mean? This has, like, two levels of stupidity going for it.

Sedated is much cooler when he's ONLYbeen smokin' - when he drinks, the inner-animal comes out.

dirk digler
08-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Dumb.

Dumb fucking dumb fucking dumb.

:shake:

I don't think it is too dumb. When I was working as a restaurant manager I worked with 95% Hispanics and they used to bring me all kinds of food they made. I also ate alot at their home and it is quite a bit different than what you would get at a "Authentic" Mexican Restaurant. I remember the first time I had mole at one of their places I about chucked. I have had authentic food from people who lived in Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Columbia, El Salvador, and Honduras and alot of it is very different.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Back when I was running a school route in the San Fernando valley, me and my buddy that I carpooled with used to stop at a Del Taco on our way out of Van Nuys a couple of days a week.

Got the Macho Combo Burrito.

Used to say, I was getting the William Perry burrito so I could take a Nate Newton shit.

Del Taco's been running 3 tacos for a buck recently and they're pretty good.

KChiefs1
08-14-2010, 07:53 PM

Not a fan.

My thoughts exactly...the two corn tortillas I had were like rubber & I ended up taking them off & eating the "insides" without the tortilla's.

Reaper16
08-14-2010, 09:37 PM
I bought one carnitas cantina taco. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong - it was fucking awful. But no more awful than other Taco bell fare.

The onions were flavorless, the cilantro an afterthought. The pork itself had the texture and consistency of a pet food hash with a very salty, one-note taste. It tasted like the seasoning packet on a thing of pork flavored ramen noodles. The tortillas? Horrendous, infuriating, disgusting. Those tortillas were the worst-tasting thing I've had in months. I wanted to cry and book a flight to anywhere I can find a real, fresh corn tortilla. Thankfully the warm lime had enough juice to punch the whole thing up.

My recommendation is to never get one of these ever.

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2010, 09:41 PM
I bought one carnitas cantina taco. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong - it was fucking awful. But no more awful than other Taco bell fare.

The onions were flavorless, the cilantro an afterthought. The pork itself had the texture and consistency of a pet food hash with a very salty, one-note taste. It tasted like the seasoning packet on a thing of pork flavored ramen noodles. The tortillas? Horrendous, infuriating, disgusting. Those tortillas were the worst-tasting thing I've had in months. I wanted to cry and book a flight to anywhere I can find a real, fresh corn tortilla. Thankfully the warm lime had enough juice to punch the whole thing up.

My recommendation is to never get one of these ever.

Elitist

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2010, 09:44 PM
The only two items I will eat at Taco Bell are the bean burrito and tostado. No way I'm eating that meat.

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2010, 09:46 PM
There are tons of great taqueria's out here. There is no need to ever go to taco bell except when I commute and am in the middle of nowhere.

DaFace
08-14-2010, 09:58 PM
I tried all three tonight. The chicken and steak were complete and utter crap, but the carnitas one was pretty damn tasty.

That is all.

InChiefsHeaven
08-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Wife and I went on Friday, just got the Steak one...total shit. I was so dissapointed. The stupid corn tortilla was doughy and crumbly, there was hardly any meat on it...the only way I could choke it down was to add some mild salsa and take off one of the corn tortillas...as a fan of Taco Bell...I'm just sayin, don't bother. They are shit...

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-16-2010, 05:48 AM
I had two Friday night and had two more Saturday just to verify that they suck. And gave me the shits !

luv
08-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Wife and I went on Friday, just got the Steak one...total shit. I was so dissapointed. The stupid corn tortilla was doughy and crumbly, there was hardly any meat on it...the only way I could choke it down was to add some mild salsa and take off one of the corn tortillas...as a fan of Taco Bell...I'm just sayin, don't bother. They are shit...

This.

CHENZ A!
08-18-2010, 10:52 PM
My cousin is married to a Mexican-American, and when asked about taco bell he said "it's not mom's cooking, but it's still good shit" and I completely agree. Mexican food is my favorite kind of food, so that's probably why Taco Bell is literally the only fast food place I ever eat at besides Mcdonalds(for breakfast only).

Also, there are some great "authentic" Mexican joints in KC. It's not all Tex-Mex, although they are the most popular amongst the gringos. And honestly if all I'm looking for is a tasty margarita, some chips and salsa, and a TV with the game on then those tex mex joints will do just fine.

BIG_DADDY
08-18-2010, 11:25 PM
It was taco night at Pancho Villa. $1 tacos and fifty cents more for fish. I had 2 steak and prawn taco's for $3 total. Killer steak, 3 prawns per taco. This was John Maddens favorite mexican food in the country and everytime he comes to the bay area he goes there. Awesome fresh ingredients and the steak and praws are char broiled on a grill right in front of you. $3 total bill for dinner.
http://www.smpanchovilla.com/

Like I said, I have no idea why people go to taco bell unless it's the only show in town when they are on the road, even then I just get a bean burrito. No horse meat for BD

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Like I said, I have no idea why people go to taco bell unless it's the only show in town

That's it.

And Taco Bell does NOT use horse meat.

LMAO

Thig Lyfe
08-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Chipotle is so much better than Taco Bell that to go to Taco Bell when there is a Chipotle in the area should be punishable by law.

And if you think Chipotle is too expensive, well...

http://dump.fm/images/20100625/1277481518395-dumpfm-haydiroket-billwithit.gif

Thig Lyfe
08-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Chipotle is so much better than Taco Bell that to go to Taco Bell when there is a Chipotle in the area should be punishable by law.

And if you think Chipotle is too expensive, well...

http://dump.fm/images/20100625/1277481518395-dumpfm-haydiroket-billwithit.gif

Buck
08-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Fuck this thread for real.