PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs NFL is offering pre-season games on-line (Blackout rules apply)

DTLB58
08-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Just got the e-mail today.

Check it out.

https://preseason.nfl.com/nflpl/secure/registerform?icampaign=PL_ProductCP&module=HP_productCP

Param
08-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I see $39.99?

Reerun_KC
08-11-2010, 07:28 PM
ROFL they cant be serious can they?

Param
08-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Ahhh shit, I thought I read your thread and it said free.

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Wow but you know there will be stupid people that pay for it.

08-11-2010, 07:33 PM
39.99 and blackouts? WTF?

Bugeater
08-11-2010, 07:35 PM
39.99 and blackouts? WTF?
Yeah I don't get that either. It's the same with the Sunday Ticket, you'd think they'd waive the blackout rules when you're shelling out extra for that shit.

FlaChief58
08-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Just goes to show how out of touch the nfl really is. 40 bucks to watch a bunch of meaningless games and players who will soon be bagging groceries at winn dixie? Here's a novel thought, how bout throwing the fans a friggen bone and stream em for free, they'll have plenty of chances to rape us when the games are for real.

ClevelandBronco
08-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Blackout rules apply because if I hear of anyone I know that actually orders this shit I'll hit them repeatedly with a rolled-up newspaper until they black out.

DaFace
08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah I don't get that either. It's the same with the Sunday Ticket, you'd think they'd waive the blackout rules when you're shelling out extra for that shit.

They can't. Local networks that broadcast the games would get really pissy.

As for the price, it seems fair to me. Given that NFLST is about $20 per week, $10 per week for preseason seems about right. I probably won't buy it this year because I'm pretty busy, but I might at some point in the future.

Keep in mind that there was previously NO WAY to watch a preseason game live out of the local market (legally).

Bugeater
08-11-2010, 07:56 PM
They can't. Local networks that broadcast the games would get really pissy.

As for the price, it seems fair to me. Given that NFLST is about $20 per week, $10 per week for preseason seems about right. I probably won't buy it this year because I'm pretty busy, but I might at some point in the future.

Keep in mind that there is NO WAY to watch a preseason game live out of the local market (legally).
Unless one of your local TV stations picks them up, we always get the Chiefs games here.

With all that said, does anyone remember a preseason game being blacked out in KC?

08-11-2010, 07:59 PM
What pisses me off is that we don't get the preseason games in widescreen.

milkman
08-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Just goes to show how out of touch the nfl really is. 40 bucks to watch a bunch of meaningless games and players who will soon be bagging groceries at winn dixie? Here's a novel thought, how bout throwing the fans a friggen bone and stream em for free, they'll have plenty of chances to rape us when the games are for real.

Really?

The NFL is out of touch?

You mean the league that's making money hand over fist, that will even get paid on their TV contracts even if there isn't a season next year?

That NFL?

DaFace
08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Unless one of your local TV stations picks them up, we always get the Chiefs games here.

With all that said, does anyone remember a preseason game being blacked out in KC?

EDITED POST DUE TO MY DUMBASSERY

I think you're misunderstanding the "blackout" they're referring to here. They're just referring to the fact that you can't watch a game online when it's being shown on a local station (Omaha is one). Here are the local markets for the Chiefs:

Kansas City, Topeka, KS, Wichita, KS, Dodge, Hays, Joplin, Mo., Springfield, Mo., Columbia, Mo., Des Moines, IA, Omaha, NE, Tulsa, OK, St. Joseph, Mo.

That said, it also means that, if the game was blacked out due to not being sold out, people in KC and Topeka couldn't use this to get around that kind of blackout either.

Bugeater
08-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I think you're misunderstanding the "blackout" they're referring to here. They don't black out preseason games due to not being sold out like they do regular-season games. They're just referring to the fact that you can't watch a game online when it's being shown on a local station (Omaha is one). Here are the local markets for the Chiefs:
Well hell, what would be the point of watching it online if it's available on TV?

DaFace
08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Well hell, what would be the point of watching it online if it's available on TV?

It's not meant for people like you. It's meant for people like me.

dirk digler
08-11-2010, 08:33 PM
It's not meant for people like you. It's meant for people like me.

Have you tried listening on line at 101 the Fox?

DaFace
08-11-2010, 08:33 PM
For what it's worth, I'm wrong about the whole "preseason games not blacked out" thing. I dug around and found a couple examples of this. I'll go sit in the corner now.

FlaChief58
08-11-2010, 08:34 PM
That would be the one...

Really?

The NFL is out of touch?

You mean the league that's making money hand over fist, that will even get paid on their TV contracts even if there isn't a season next year?

That NFL?

mcockrum
08-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Them calling Des Moines a local market is silliness. The preseason games aren't shown here and it is really 50/50 if a regular season Chiefs game will be chosen.

DTLB58
08-11-2010, 08:43 PM

None, But there are a lot of people that won't be able to see it on TV Live and would like to. Hence, the threads that have started already asking where can we watch the game Friday night? (Justin.tv)

I know there will be a boat load of people asking where to watch the game Friday night and the other 3 games. So if you live outside of the (area) here is an option. Just saying.

Bugeater
08-11-2010, 09:25 PM
None, But there are a lot of people that won't be able to see it on TV Live and would like to. Hence, the threads that have started already asking where can we watch the game Friday night? (Justin.tv)

I know there will be a boat load of people asking where to watch the game Friday night and the other 3 games. So if you live outside of the (area) here is an option. Just saying.
Oh, I get all that, my point was that the blackout rules don't really make a difference. If you're getting the game locally there's no reason to have to watch it online.

DaKCMan AP
08-12-2010, 06:17 AM
The only time Chiefs preseason games are available in FL is when they're playing Miami or Tampa (Jax doesn't count). If I'm home the nights of the games then $40 isn't much to see the 4 games.

Being that preseason games are typically Friday & Saturday nights... I likely won't be home so unless the subscription includes free "on demand" type replays then it's unlikely I'll buy.

DaKCMan AP
08-12-2010, 06:23 AM
The only time Chiefs preseason games are available in FL is when they're playing Miami or Tampa (Jax doesn't count). If I'm home the nights of the games then $40 isn't much to see the 4 games.

Being that preseason games are typically Friday & Saturday nights... I likely won't be home so unless the subscription includes free "on demand" type replays then it's unlikely I'll buy.

Just looked at the NFL offer and it is live & On Demand, meaning I can watch when I want. Therefore, I will probably buy.

Awesome.

Everyone else can complain, but never before have I been able to get every preseason game live & on demand. Preseason is generally meaningless but you can get some inklings on how teams and players will perform. Back in 1999 when Trent Green went down I caught a couple of the Rams preseason games and saw how Kurt Warner was clicking. Drafted him (he went undrafted in most leagues that year) late in my fantasy league and won it all. With the On Demand feature I can watch just the 1st quarters of games where I'm interested to see how certain players/teams are doing.

Coogs
08-12-2010, 07:28 AM
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1382

Uh, oh, here come the blackouts

It's still too soon to tell whether the Chiefs will sell enough tickets for their two home preseason games to avoid local television blackouts _ not to mention some regular-season games _ but that's not the case with some other franchises.

Already, the San Diego Chargers announced their game on Saturday night against Chicago will not be shown live in the Chargers' television market, and there's little chance the St. Louis Rams' game against Minnesota will shown live in the St. Louis market.

Both games will be shown on a tape-delayed basis later Saturday night, which is allowed in the pre-season but not in the regular season.

There will be more blacked out exhibition games later when the Jacksonville Jaguars and Oakland Raiders play at home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if this means Omaha and Wichita can carry the preseason games live... or does the whole entire Chiefs Network have to blackout a preseason game? Hope that made sense.

Bugeater
08-12-2010, 07:33 AM
I would assume we will still get the games here.

Coogs
08-12-2010, 07:36 AM
I would assume we will still get the games here.

I would assume that too, but the "not shown live in the Chargers Television Market" thing has me wondering.

Bugeater
08-12-2010, 07:39 AM
I would assume that too, but the "not shown live in the Chargers Television Market" thing has me wondering.
Eh, probably a poor choice of words by the author. I don't know why the blackout rules would be any different in the preseason.

ArrowheadHawk
08-12-2010, 07:39 AM
What pisses me off is that we don't get the preseason games in widescreen.This. They should just do away with Standard Definition.

Coogs
08-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Eh, probably a poor choice of words by the author. I don't know why the blackout rules would be any different in the preseason.

That is what I am hoping.

txhawk
08-12-2010, 08:05 AM
For those outside the Chiefs TV Market, I think the NFL Network is showing every preseason game this year, granted it won't always be live and it may be on at odd times, but if you got a DVR...that's what it's for

DaFace
08-12-2010, 08:10 AM
KC and Topeka are the only areas that should be blacked out if the game isn't sold out.
Posted via Mobile Device

okcchief
08-12-2010, 08:42 AM
I think I can wait for the replays on NFLN for free.

$39.99? What a joke

rockymtnchief
08-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Replays
1:30 am (EST) Friday night/Sunday morning
7:00 am (EST) Sunday morning
10:00 am (EST) Tuesday morning

CaliforniaChief
08-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Replays
1:30 am (EST) Friday night/Sunday morning
7:00 am (EST) Sunday morning
10:00 am (EST) Tuesday morning

Yup, that's my plan. It helps being on the west coast as it starts at 10:30. So I'll just not go online Friday night and then watch it "live" at 10:30.

ArrowheadHawk
08-12-2010, 11:10 AM
KC and Topeka are the only areas that should be blacked out if the game isn't sold out.
Posted via Mobile DeviceI still think its dumb that Topeka gets blacked out. Topeka is not a KC suburb.

DaFace
08-12-2010, 12:59 PM
I still think its dumb that Topeka gets blacked out. Topeka is not a KC suburb.

I think they use a rule of 75 miles from the stadium or something like that.

ArrowheadHawk
08-12-2010, 01:03 PM
I think they use a rule of 75 miles from the stadium or something like that.Yeah I know. I just streamed the game online last year. I could always spring for a ticket if I need to. For the game that got blacked out last year I could have gotten a ticket for $5.

08-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I think they use a rule of 75 miles from the stadium or something like that.

Not only that but the signals can't overlap either which effectively extends the blackout to nearly 150 miles. In other words, if your local TV broadcast overlaps in any way with the KC broadcast then you are blacked out.

Damn these friggin server issues.

ChiefsCountry
08-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Them calling Des Moines a local market is silliness. The preseason games aren't shown here and it is really 50/50 if a regular season Chiefs game will be chosen.

Oh really
http://www.kcwi23.com/blog.php?id=164

DTLB58
08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
I bought it and used it tonight. Watched Saints @ Pats then Boys and Raiders.

Great HD quality, nice smooth streaming, no problems for me, Real easy to use. And use I will. Plus I will be able to see all 4 Chiefs games Live and I will watch many other games scouting players for my fantasy drafts.

Football is the only hobby I have. So to spend the $40.00 on this and $180.00on Sunday ticket for one season of football is pretty cheap entertainment.

No fishing, no hunting, no racing = save my money. :D

DTLB58
08-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I think I can wait for the replays on NFLN for free.

$39.99? What a joke

You are paying something to get that NFLN. It is just already a monthly bill. But it's NOT Free. I know I pay for it too.

meStevo
08-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Well worth the money to be able to go back and look at any game on demand, as well as do my own customized game mix of live channels, listen to the broadcast, home, and away audio as I please (also had the option to watch the home or away feed tonight too). I look forward to being able to do this kind of stuff with Sunday Ticket eventually.

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2010, 10:40 PM
I bought it and used it tonight. Watched Saints @ Pats then Boys and Raiders.

Great HD quality, nice smooth streaming, no problems for me, Real easy to use. And use I will. Plus I will be able to see all 4 Chiefs games Live and I will watch many other games scouting players for my fantasy drafts.

Football is the only hobby I have. So to spend the $40.00 on this and $180.00on Sunday ticket for one season of football is pretty cheap entertainment.

No fishing, no hunting, no racing = save my money. :D

Much rather be doing the others, just saying.