PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Tony G. looks forward to facing Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
08-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Tony G. looks forward to facing Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/11/2143726/tony-g-looks-forward-to-facing.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Tony Gonzalez perused the Chiefs' roster the other day and strained to see a few familiar names.

It's been just 17 months since Gonzalez, the Chiefs' all-time leading receiver, was traded to the Atlanta Falcons, but it may as well have been seven years. Only 23 players — and counting — remain in camp with the club since Gonzalez played his last game in Kansas City in 2008.

"I see Brian Waters there — is Jarrad Page still there?" Gonzalez said during a phone interview on Wednesday. "I see Rudy (Niswanger) — Jon McGraw is still there, isn't he?"

Gonzalez will renew acquaintances with those remaining ex-teammates on Friday night when the Chiefs visit Atlanta in the preseason opener. He's not sure how he'll react when, for the first time, Gonzalez sees another team's players wearing Arrowhead logos on their helmets.

"It's going to be weird," Gonzalez said. "I've been getting that question this week, and not just from reporters, but from my family and friends, and yeah, nostalgia is going to pop up. The relationships, all the hard work that you put in, the bad times that you went through with the organization ...

"And it's not just about football. It's about time spent in the city, the relationships I made with the fans. I'm sure some of them will travel, because the fans are unbelievable. But it is an exhibition game, and I'm keeping that in mind. It's really for the young guys, and you just want to get through it healthy and get some of the timing back."

Gonzalez, 34, certainly enjoyed good times and bad with the Chiefs. He authored a Hall of Fame resume by becoming the all-time leader among NFL tight ends for receptions (916), yards (10,940) and touchdown catches (76) as well as the Chiefs' franchise leader in those departments.

But the Chiefs reached the playoffs just three times in his 12-year career ¡X in 1997, 2003 and 2006 ¡X and went 0-3 in those games. Not wanting to endure another rebuilding job, Gonzalez asked for a trade to a contender before the 2009 season.

The Chiefs accommodated him by sending Gonzalez to Atlanta, which had reached the playoffs in 2008 under a new coach in Mike Smith and rookie quarterback Matt Ryan. But the Falcons, who lost Ryan two games because of injuries and running back Michael Turner for five games, went 9-7 and missed the playoffs, though Gonzalez caught 83 passes, a franchise record for receptions by a tight end.

The Chiefs, meanwhile, are still looking to replace Gonzalez. Veteran Leonard Pope (20 catches) and Jake O'Connell combined for 22 receptions in 2009, and the club selected Tony Moeaki from Iowa in the third round of the draft. Moeaki was injury prone in college and has missed this week because of injuries sustained in last Saturday's scrimmage.

Gonzalez will begin this season with 999 career catches and is looking forward to the season opener at Pittsburgh, where he'll certainly become the seventh player in NFL history to catch 1,000 passes. Only Terrell Owens, with 1,066, has more receptions among active players.

"I wish I could have done it last year," Gonzalez said of joining the 1,000-catch club. "I'm looking forward to getting that catch in Pittsburgh and getting it out of the way. It's a milestone. Seeing the group of guys I will be joining, it's a pretty good feeling."

Gonzalez couldn't remember catch No. 1 for the Chiefs — a 22-yard pass from Elvis Grbac in the 1997 opener at Denver, but remembered his first catch as a professional.

"It was in preseason against Pittsburgh, an XY hook for a touchdown," he said. "I remember my first (regular-season) touchdown against Miami."

Then Gonzalez, a former college basketball player who usually punctuated his touchdown catches by slam-dunking the ball over the crossbar, reminisced about two other memorable receptions with the Chiefs. There was catch No. 753, a back-of-the-end-zone grab against Cincinnati at Arrowhead in 2007 which broke the all-time record for touchdown catches by a tight end.

And catch No. 837, a 10-yard touchdown pass against Denver in a 33-19 win at Arrowhead in 2008.

"I landed on the ball and got the wind knocked out of me, and when I couldn't get up, the crowd started screaming, "Tony! Tony!" Gonzalez said. "That was one of the most special times. It really gave me chills right there."

Those chills may have to last until 2012, when the Falcons are next scheduled to play at Arrowhead.

Gonzalez sees no reason why he still won't be playing.

"Physically, I feel like I can play another three, four years at a pretty good level," he said. "Right now, everybody knows what I'm playing for. It's no secret. I'm playing for a Super Bowl. I'm not playing for stats. I'm not playing for (fame). I've done everything I ever wanted to do in a career. And more. Both on and off the field.

"The closure I'm looking for, and I hope I can get — and if I can't, it's not going to devastate me. But that's what I'm working for, that's what all my energy is for, that ring."

The 1,000-catch club

Atlanta's Tony Gonzalez is one reception shy of becoming the seventh NFL player — and first tight end — to catch 1,000 passes.

Player, Rec.

1. Jerry Rice 1,549

2. Marvin Harrison 1,102

3. Cris Carter 1,101

4. Tim Brown 1,094

5. Isaac Bruce 1,024

6. Terrell Owens 1,006

7. Tony Gonzalez 999

T-post Tom
08-11-2010, 10:41 PM
The relationships, all the hard work that you put in, the bad times that you went through with the organization ...

:cuss: DAMNIT CARL!!!

mcaj22
08-11-2010, 10:50 PM
had no idea Marvin Harrison had that many catches. it's a shame his career went south on and off the field so badly.

luv
08-11-2010, 10:51 PM
It would be ironic if the Chiefs ended up winning a Super Bowl in the next 3-4 years and Tony never gets his ring.

T-post Tom
08-11-2010, 10:53 PM
It would be ironic if the Chiefs ended up winning a Super Bowl in the next 3-4 years and Tony never gets his ring.

http://files.list.co.uk/images/2008/08/14/alanis-morissette.jpg

luv
08-11-2010, 10:56 PM
http://files.list.co.uk/images/2008/08/14/alanis-morissette.jpg

LOL

I was gonna add "Don't ya think?" to the end of my post, but decided against it.

Bugeater
08-11-2010, 10:56 PM
ROFL I'm guessing he's not losing too much sleep over the thought of that happening.

POND_OF_RED
08-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Tony's the best. It's going to be hard to replace the best tight end to ever play. Weird to think that he'll likely be the 2nd all time leading receiver in NFL history in just a couple years. Wish they could have all been with KC though. Oh well. Hopefully he can get a ring and imprint it to the top of that mush mouth idiots head for his retirement speech. It would be a beautiful end to a fantastic career.

luv
08-11-2010, 10:59 PM
ROFL I'm guessing he's not losing too much sleep over the thought of that happening.

Yeah. I highly doubt it will happen, but it would be ironic if it did.

T-post Tom
08-11-2010, 11:00 PM
LOL

I was gonna add "Don't ya think?" to the end of my post, but decided against it.

That's the difference between you and me: you excercise good judgement & I have no filter.

luv
08-11-2010, 11:01 PM
That's the difference between you and me: you excercise good judgement & I have no filter.

You do realize you're talking to me, right? Don't let one post fool you. :)

T-post Tom
08-11-2010, 11:31 PM
You do realize you're talking to me, right? Don't let one post fool you. :)

Live in the moment. Be here and be now, resting in stillness. The abundance and perfection of the Universe is within you.

Hammock Parties
08-11-2010, 11:33 PM
I'd like to see Tony G laid out.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 11:36 PM

Still classless after all these years

T-post Tom
08-11-2010, 11:39 PM

And then covered in oil, like a pelican?

ClevelandBronco
08-11-2010, 11:40 PM

I'm glad he's yours.

Hammock Parties
08-11-2010, 11:42 PM

Nah, fuck Tony Gonzalez.

He was as big a playoff choker as any Kansas City Chief.

106 COMBINED yards in three postseason games.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Nah, fuck Tony Gonzalez.

Yeah, fuck 'em.

He's a Hall of Famer that spent way too much time in a Chiefs jersey, but fuck 'em.

:shake:

Hammock Parties
08-12-2010, 12:00 AM
If he wasn't from California you wouldn't be sucking his cock.

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 12:02 AM

CaliforniaChief
08-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Nah, fuck Tony Gonzalez.

Dude, Tony Gonzalez SAVES chokers.

He was a great player for years for us, and I'll always appreciate that. He handled his business the right way unlike 99% of the players who want to leave.

I was a little bitter at first that he wanted out, but I understand what he wants and respect him for that.

T-post Tom
08-12-2010, 01:15 AM

All this randy pillow talk is just sooooooooooo.....

http://www.tiricosuave.com/images/sassy.jpg

HemiEd
08-12-2010, 03:29 AM

Yes it would, and he is the same old Tony.

""I wish I could have done it last year," Gonzalez said of joining the 1,000-catch club. "I'm looking forward to getting that catch in Pittsburgh and getting it out of the way. It's a milestone. Seeing the group of guys I will be joining, it's a pretty good feeling."

Consistent1
08-12-2010, 04:20 AM

Don't let these guys kill your spirit man. I would also like to see him laid out. If Eric Berry even looks in his direction it will happen. Fuck Tony Atlanta.

penchief
08-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Wow. I had no idea that he was seventh on the all-time receptions list. Even more amazing is that if he plays two more years he could easily end up second all-time behind only Rice, depending on what Owens does. All those other guys are retired.

gblowfish
08-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Tony Gonzalez is one of the two or three best TE's EVER to play in the NFL. His career will be right up there with Winslow, Mackey, Sharpe, Ditka. Nobody was tougher or better. He gave the best years of his career to KC, and I wish him well. And I hope he plays well in this EXHIBITION game. Now, in a couple years, if we play Atlanta in the regular season, I'll want to stop his production, but never wish him an injury. I admire the guy too much for that. His number 88 will be retired as a CHIEF someday. Have some respect for the guy, he earned it.

buddha
08-12-2010, 08:42 AM
I wonder how Tony enjoyed that familiar feeling of having Covitz dry hump his leg during the interview?

Rain Man
08-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Who'd we end up getting for him? McCluster or Arenas?

ModSocks
08-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Nah, **** Tony Gonzalez.

Yeah, well when he's the only fucking weapon you have, Playoff caliber teams have the tendency of honing in on him and taking him away.

ModSocks
08-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Who'd we end up getting for him? McCluster or Arenas?

Arenas

Demonpenz
08-12-2010, 10:49 AM
out of all the teams he could go to...he went to atlanta. Seriously... I hope his head ripped off and berry dunks his head over the goal post

ModSocks
08-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Don't let these guys kill your spirit man. I would also like to see him laid out. If Eric Berry even looks in his direction it will happen. **** Tony Atlanta.

Yeah, fuck that guy. All he ever did was make the Chiefs competitive and give KC a star player for 10+ years. Aside from DT, he's been the only player HOF worthy for KC in the last 20 years. W/o TG the Chiefs would've been even shittier than what they were.

But, yeah fuck that guy!

Bearcat
08-12-2010, 11:10 AM
When I read this yesterday, I thought about the 'sports fans need some perspective' thread, because I knew there would be a few "I hope he gets laid out"/"f*** that traitor" type of comments if it got posted here... granted, the writer of the perspective article took the cheap way out to cry about internet trolls, he was right about some people needing some.

Titty Meat
08-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, **** 'em.

He's a Hall of Famer that spent way too much time in a Chiefs jersey, but **** 'em.

No Tony Gonzalez is a big fucking cry baby that never won shit and played like shit in the playoffs. If he gets 2 feet in bounds we win, if he doesn't push off we win.

|Zach|
08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
That Denver call was horseshit. If instant replay was around we win that game.

Consistent1
08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, **** that guy. All he ever did was make the Chiefs competitive and give KC a star player for 10+ years. Aside from DT, he's been the only player HOF worthy for KC in the last 20 years. W/o TG the Chiefs would've been even shittier than what they were.

But, yeah **** that guy!

Ur and idiot. My post served three purposes:
1)Make a little fun of GoChiefs.
2)Make a little fun of guys who think Berry is automatic All-World for the next 12 years.
3)I actually would like to see him get nailed cleanly.

ct
08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
I'll still be a fan of Gonzo, regardless of how things ended w/ KC.

|Zach|
08-12-2010, 11:26 AM
When I read this yesterday, I thought about the 'sports fans need some perspective' thread, because I knew there would be a few "I hope he gets laid out"/"f*** that traitor" type of comments if it got posted here... granted, the writer of the perspective article took the cheap way out to cry about internet trolls, he was right about some people needing some.

Yea, everyone in that thread thought I was fucking bananas and they were just laying it on proving the article right.

The examples go on and on...sports fans have no perspective at all.

Just look at the Dallas\HOF's article.

Titty Meat
08-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Still theres plenty of examples where Tony came up short in the playoffs. He was a great player no doubt but he was a cry baby.

|Zach|
08-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Still theres plenty of examples where Tony came up short in the playoffs. He was a great player no doubt but he was a cry baby.

I think the idea of dude's on keyboards sitting around on their asses calling Tony G a cry baby is funny as hell. Maybe it is just me...

ChiTown
08-12-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll still be a fan of Gonzo, regardless of how things ended w/ KC.

Me too, ct. Tony G is a classy dude, and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for him. He was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise shitty era for Chiefs football (no playoff wins).

ChiTown
08-12-2010, 11:35 AM
I think the idea of dude's on keyboards sitting around on their asses calling Tony G a cry baby is funny as hell. Maybe it is just me...

No, it's not.

Titty Meat
08-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Yea because you type from a keyboard means you shouldn't have an opinon. I think its funny how a guy on a keyboard is going great lengths to defend a guy who he could give a fuck less about.

Consistent1
08-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Not really. It is the same is "player x sucks, no talent" and shit like that about guys that have made it to the pro level. A huge portion of the posts on this board are questioning people who have had a great deal of success in reality. I just never have felt all the love for him myself, but he has been a great player. Whatever.

ClevelandBronco
08-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Yea because you type from a keyboard means you shouldn't have an opinon. I think its funny how a guy on a keyboard is going great lengths to defend a guy who he could give a **** less about.

You misunderstand. There's nothing wrong with you having an opinion, and there's nothing wrong with Zach recognizing that it's the opinion of an idiot.

Titty Meat
08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
You misunderstand. There's nothing wrong with you having an opinion, and there's nothing wrong with Zach recognizing that it's the opinion of an idiot.

Yea an idiot who you and many others follow around here and some even take it further and follow me on Facebook & Twitter. Zach being one of them.

Lzen
08-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Aside from DT, he's been the only player HOF worthy for KC in the last 20 years.

Ummmm....what?

Willie Roaf
Will Shields
Jared Allen perhaps one day?
Marcus Allen
Priest Holmes if he wouldn't have gotten the injuries?
Joe Montana

Titty Meat
08-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Hey Cleveland are you still going to smack me like you said you would that day you were on your period?

Yea Lzen. Waters isn't a HOF but he's been to alot of pro bowls and has helped the Chiefs win alot of games and look how some talk about him. Howcome it's such a big deal to say something bad about Tony but not about Waters?

Demonpenz
08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
He doesn't even sign autographs that much. I remember one time I chased him down and after an hour or so i finally got it. It was worth the work though it went for booko bucks on ebay

ClevelandBronco
08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey Cleveland are you still going to smack me like you said you would that day you were on your period?

I don't recall us having that discussion.

Lzen
08-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Yea Lzen. Waters isn't a HOF but he's been to alot of pro bowls and has helped the Chiefs win alot of games and look how some talk about him. Howcome it's such a big deal to say something bad about Tony but not about Waters?

I don't talk bad about Waters, either. The guy has given a lot of good years to the Chiefs. But I would guess that him coming in fat and lazy may have turned off some of his fans. Just a guess.

As for TG, I wish him the best. It would have been nice for him to remain a KC Chief through his career, but I understand why he left. And I can't blame him for that. I wish him all the best for the rest of his career and life. He truly was/is a good guy, IMO.

ModSocks
08-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Ummmm....what?

Willie Roaf
Will Shields
Jared Allen perhaps one day?
Marcus Allen
Priest Holmes if he wouldn't have gotten the injuries?
Joe Montana

Willie Roaf-Is a Saint
Will Shields- You're right. I forgot about him
Jared Allen perhaps one day?-Will be remembered as a Viking
Marcus Allen-Best days as a Raider
Priest Holmes if he wouldn't have gotten the injuries? Doesn't matter. Not even sniffing the HOF
Joe Montana- C'mon, for real? He's not a Chief

TG and Shields are the only CHIEFS on that list. Maybe you can make a case for JA, but people didn't really start noticing him until he left. I think he'll be remembered as a viking more than a Chief.

Titty Meat
08-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't talk bad about Waters, either. The guy has given a lot of good years to the Chiefs. But I would guess that him coming in fat and lazy may have turned off some of his fans. Just a guess.

As for TG, I wish him the best. It would have been nice for him to remain a KC Chief through his career, but I understand why he left. And I can't blame him for that. I wish him all the best for the rest of his career and life. He truly was/is a good guy, IMO.

I think the reason some are turned off by Waters because he's been a cry baby the last few years and the same can be said for Tony. Nobody is denying Tony was a great player alot of people say he's a great person and while I don't know him everytime I saw him out in public he was an asshole.

SAUTO
08-12-2010, 12:59 PM

plenty? throw out more than 1 for me please. and the push off doesnt count because he didnt.

Mr. Laz
08-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Tony isn't currently a chief ... he decided he didn't want to be a chief

i see no reason to feel any affection for him, he's the enemy.

when/if he retires a chiefs THEN i will remember the good times.

Simply Red
08-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I'll be there, i'm sitting right by the chief's side-line. Going to take some photos.

SAUTO
08-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I'll be there, i'm sitting right by the chief's side-line. Going to take some photos.

when you see a camera flip it off and yell chiefs planet bitches!!!!

really though you should have a CP themed sign....

Sofa King
08-12-2010, 02:43 PM
when you see a camera flip it off and yell chiefs planet bitches!!!!

really though you should have a CP themed sign....

If i ever got the chance, i sure as hell would have a huge cp sign.

Mr. Laz
08-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Chiefsplanet shirts .... moving sign :)

Tribal Warfare
08-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Represent! Get decked out in full ChiefsPlanet Gear.

Phobia
08-12-2010, 04:35 PM
This is stupid anyway. The entire premise of this article is based on a lie. TG isn't looking forward to ANY preseason game. Veterans hate preseason. It's just another preseason where TG is gonna put in 2-3 series and work up a little sweat.

For all you who idolize TG, he's just another spoiled athlete who feels he's entitled to something when the cameras are off. He's really no different than the millionaire kids we've had here in the past except his performances have actually warranted his notoriety. Idolize his performances but don't act like he's some super kind athlete who did something great for Kansas City because he didn't beat his girl or get popped driving drunk.

Fish
08-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Tony Gonzalez and Tony Moeaki shake hands at midfield.... Moeaki's arm falls off.....

Rausch
08-12-2010, 04:48 PM
For all you who idolize TG, he's just another spoiled athlete who feels he's entitled to something when the cameras are off. He's really no different than the millionaire kids we've had here in the past except his performances have actually warranted his notoriety. Idolize his performances but don't act like he's some super kind athlete who did something great for Kansas City because he didn't beat his girl or get popped driving drunk.

Fuck 'em.

He wanted to leave. It wasn't about money or some WR banging his wife. He wanted out of KC.

Ok, you're out.

Now kindly fuck off and end your career...

boogblaster
08-12-2010, 05:23 PM
TG will always be a Chief to me ...

BigChiefFan
08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
His numbers are phenomenal, especially for a TE. A couple more big seasons for him and he could easily be top 3 in receptions. I'm glad he actually produced while he played in K.C. and had most of those catches as a Chief. He's a first ballot HOFer, IMO.

jspchief
08-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I can't think of many former Chiefs that I continued to root for after they went to a different team. And considering the way TG went about leaving KC, he isn't going to be one either.

Sure-Oz
08-12-2010, 06:13 PM
All you bitches that want gonzo laid out will be sucking his dick when he goes to the HOF as a chief

Reaper16
08-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Is there a YouTube of that play? I remember, little kid me that is, being so pissed off at what I thought a b.s. call.

OnTheWarpath15
08-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Tony Gonzalez and Tony Moeaki shake hands at midfield.... Moeaki's arm falls off.....

ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
08-12-2010, 06:55 PM
No Tony Gonzalez is a big ****ing cry baby that never won shit and played like shit in the playoffs. If he gets 2 feet in bounds we win, if he doesn't push off we win.

I don't remember the Denver play well enough, but that offensive pass interference against Indy was pure horseshit.

FRCDFED
08-12-2010, 06:56 PM
All you bitches that want gonzo laid out will be sucking his dick when he goes to the HOF as a chiefAnd why is that? Sure we will remember his accomplishments as a Chief but aside from that he is still a whine azz that left for selfish personal reasons when the team needed him most! Thats right! When he was needed the most to be a leader for the team in the town that drafted him and made him into what he became because KC made him a focal point of the offense he bailed like a biotch!

He claims he isn't about stats....what about when he cried because he didn't get the record breaking catch at home......now he wishes he would've broken 1000 last season. Same old Tony!

Atlanta isn't any closer to a SB than KC. That's the irony! They had one BS lucky season and made the friggen playoffs. So what.....put things in perspective will ya!

If he would've stayed in KC and been a mentor for our young players he probably would have had the same or higher chance of making the playoffs in KC as he would in Atlanta. Plus I would give the edge to our coaching staff at this point. I do hope we make the playoffs before he retires so it will reinforce how big of a selfish idiot he really is!

RING HIS FUGGIN BELL BERRY! Just make it a clean hit!

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 07:05 PM
What a bunch of bitter fucks

FRCDFED
08-12-2010, 07:11 PM
What a bunch of bitter ****sNot so much.....its just that the people that I tend to put on a pedestal don't wear sports jerseys and cry about trophys. They are real role models that do more with much much less and nobody asks for their autograph!

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2010, 07:17 PM
**** 'em.

He wanted to leave. It wasn't about money or some WR banging his wife. He wanted out of KC.

Ok, you're out.

Now kindly **** off and end your career...

It was about wanting a shot at a ring before his career ended and he wouldn't get that chance here. TG gave us all he had. I wish I could say that about a lot of others. I don't blame him for wanting a ring.

Phobia
08-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Not so much.....its just that the people that I tend to put on a pedestal don't wear sports jerseys and cry about trophys. They are real role models that do more with much much less and nobody asks for their autograph!

Precisely. I'm not bitter at all. Dude wanted to leave. Farewell. But let's not act like he was some incredible role model. He's an amazing athlete and ladies say he's easy on the eyes. He deserves to be in Canton. Period.

FRCDFED
08-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Precisely. I'm not bitter at all. Dude wanted to leave. Farewell. But let's not act like he was some incredible role model. He's an amazing athlete and ladies say he's easy on the eyes. He deserves to be in Canton. Period.
Yep...he's gone! Let's turn the page....I really don't care if he misses the Chiefs fans. He hit the nail on the head when he implied we're great fans. He needs to remember that we are fans of the KC Chiefs, of which he is no longer a part of. Good riddens!

Color Red
08-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Tony's the best. It's going to be hard to replace the best tight end to ever play. Weird to think that he'll likely be the 2nd all time leading receiver in NFL history in just a couple years. Wish they could have all been with KC though. Oh well. Hopefully he can get a ring and imprint it to the top of that mush mouth idiots head for his retirement speech. It would be a beautiful end to a fantastic career.

It is hard to completely appreciate greatness when you have it.

It's even harder to appreciate what it meant for opponents to prepare to face Tony's consistent talent week in, week out for so many pro-bowl seasons.

|Zach|
08-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Yep...he's gone! Let's turn the page....I really don't care if he misses the Chiefs fans. He hit the nail on the head when he implied we're great fans. He needs to remember that we are fans of the KC Chiefs, of which he is no longer a part of. Good riddens!

Who isn't turning the page?

Phobia
08-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Who isn't turning the page?

Randy Covitz, for one.

FRCDFED
08-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Who isn't turning the page?Nice try....get bored much?

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Some of you people are just plain silly.

Tony Gonzalez will go down in history as THE greatest tight end to ever play the game, period. This is fucking hysterical, considering how much love Derrick Thomas gets in these parts, and that dude was FAR from a role model. And who cares if he or anyone else is a role model? Football is about what you do ON the field, not what you do off the field.

He will have shattered every record for a tight end and for the most part, he played with shit QB's. He didn't spend his career with Aikman or Young or Elway or Montana or even a Phil Simms or a Boomer Esiason.

No, he was stuck with Elvis Grbac, Rich Gannon, Trent Green, Tyler Thigpen, Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard.

When have the Kansas City Chiefs ever had the greatest at ANY position? Yet people are pissed that he left after 13 years of losing?

Unreal.

|Zach|
08-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Randy Covitz, for one.

So this isn't a compelling story? I mean...it is a preseason game. It isn't like this isn't worth writing about.

Also, its not like people are pining for him to come back or that the Chiefs fucked up. I don't think its crazy that some people respond to others crapping on the guy for no reason.

|Zach|
08-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Nice try....get bored much?

I just figured you had an example since you typed it.

But I guess not.

FRCDFED
08-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I just figured you had an example since you typed it.

But I guess not.
You asked a loaded question that no matter which way the answer went you could skew it to your advantage. Now I'm getting bored.:rolleyes:

|Zach|
08-12-2010, 07:46 PM
You asked a loaded question that no matter which way the answer went you could skew it to your advantage. Now I'm getting bored.:rolleyes:

I think thats more of a statement of what you said being silly then me loading it.

I don't think it is crazy to ask someone to back up what they say but if you can't do it I can't make you.

And if you are that bored....

Bye!

FRCDFED
08-12-2010, 07:47 PM

Tony Gonzalez will go down in history as THE greatest tight end to ever play the game, period. This is ****ing hysterical, considering how much love Derrick Thomas gets in these parts, and that dude was FAR from a role model. And who cares if he or anyone else is a role model? Football is about what you do ON the field, not what you do off the field.

He will have shattered every record for a tight end and for the most part, he played with shit QB's. He didn't spend his career with Aikman or Young or Elway or Montana or even a Phil Simms or a Boomer Esiason.

No, he was stuck with Elvis Grbac, Rich Gannon, Trent Green, Tyler Thigpen, Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard.

When have the Kansas City Chiefs ever had the greatest at ANY position? Yet people are pissed that he left after 13 years of losing?

Unreal.There isn't any doubt that he will be a first ballot HOF TE. I belong to the club that believes if we had any of those other QB's you mentioned that they would've probably thrown the ball to the WR's a little more and we may have won a few more games. I believe he benefited from our shitty QB play rather than was hurt by it.

Phobia
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
So this isn't a compelling story? I mean...it is a preseason game. It isn't like this isn't worth writing about.

Also, its not like people are pining for him to come back or that the Chiefs ****ed up. I don't think its crazy that some people respond to others crapping on the guy for no reason.

Compelling? Absolutely not. It's an obvious story but the lies are a bit much. Gonzo cried about preseason the entire time he was here but now he wants to tell us he's excited about a preseason game? He doesn't give a single crap about this game.

FRCDFED
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I think thats more of a statement of what you said being silly then me loading it.

I don't think it is crazy to ask someone to back up what they say but if you can't do it I can't make you.

And if you are that bored....

Bye!Put me on ignore and go about your business then.......or maybe you carry some weight around here and people leave when you tell them:rolleyes:

I'll read comments from those who actually have some good input or debate. Your comments so far have neither.

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 07:51 PM
There isn't any doubt that he will be a first ballot HOF TE. I belong to the club that believes if we had any of those other QB's you mentioned that they would've probably thrown the ball to the WR's a little more and we may have won a few more games. I believe he benefited from our shitty QB play rather than was hurt by it.

Yeah, I don't buy that at all.

Denver had a great running game in the 90's along with Rod Smith but it didn't hurt Shannon Sharpe's numbers.

Kellen Winslow had John Jefferson and Charlie Joiner, not to mention a couple of great backs to go with Dan Fouts and it didn't hurt his numbers.

Gonzalez will get his catches regardless. And with better QB play, he'd have more numbers overall because he'd be participating in far more postseason games.

He had 83 catches last year. Roddy White had 85 and Michael Jenkins had 50. Pretty much par for the course for Gonzalez, and I expect him to have the same numbers this year.

The guy is a machine.

Phobia
08-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Tony Gonzalez will go down in history as THE greatest tight end to ever play the game, period. This is ****ing hysterical, considering how much love Derrick Thomas gets in these parts, and that dude was FAR from a role model. And who cares if he or anyone else is a role model? Football is about what you do ON the field, not what you do off the field.

Unreal.

I care if they're role models. If you're presenting yourself as a role model through your camera appearances such as Gonzo did then you better be a role model when the camera is off too.

I agree he's the best ever. Was grateful to have him here. I'm not mad. I'm just saying don't put him up on a pedestal.

Also agree that better QB's would have possibly hurt his production because they see the field and might have spread the ball around more. That's conjecture but Priest Holmes and Gonzo definitely benefited from having Trent Green around - there's no doubt in my mind about that.

FRCDFED
08-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I don't buy that at all.

Denver had a great running game in the 90's along with Rod Smith but it didn't hurt Shannon Sharpe's numbers.

Kellen Winslow had John Jefferson and Charlie Joiner, not to mention a couple of great backs to go with Dan Fouts and it didn't hurt his numbers.

Gonzalez will get his catches regardless. And with better QB play, he'd have more numbers overall because he'd be participating in far more postseason games.

He had 83 catches last year. Roddy White had 85 and Michael Jenkins had 50. Pretty much par for the course for Gonzalez, and I expect him to have the same numbers this year.

The guy is a machine.Good points! Great player no doubt! I still believe that the manner in which he left KC stripped him of his dignity. He can't claim to be a team player and leave a team when they needed you the most. He should have viewed it as a complement when they tried to prevent him from leaving. In the end I think the players we have now will be a tight knit group from all the adversity they have gone through over the last couple of seasons. TG potentially could've been a great mentor and set a great example by staying.

FRCDFED
08-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I care if they're role models. If you're presenting yourself as a role model through your camera appearances such as Gonzo did then you better be a role model when the camera is off too.

I agree he's the best ever. Was grateful to have him here. I'm not mad. I'm just saying don't put him up on a pedestal.

Also agree that better QB's would have possibly hurt his production because they see the field and might have spread the ball around more. That's conjecture but Priest Holmes and Gonzo definitely benefited from having Trent Green around - there's no doubt in my mind about that.I remember when Green was referred to on here as Trinterception because he couldn't throw the deep ball. Kennison kept outrunning the ball, which resulted in interceptions. They had to change the entire offense the following year for Trent. Priest and TG were the beneficiaries of a weak arm! Trent was accurate on all the dump routes to Priest and TG. All our WR had to run short crossing routes or 20 yard hook patterns.

1ChiefsDan
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Tony Gonzalez is one of the two or three best TE's EVER to play in the NFL. His career will be right up there with Winslow, Mackey, Sharpe, Ditka. Nobody was tougher or better. He gave the best years of his career to KC, and I wish him well. And I hope he plays well in this EXHIBITION game. Now, in a couple years, if we play Atlanta in the regular season, I'll want to stop his production, but never wish him an injury. I admire the guy too much for that. His number 88 will be retired as a CHIEF someday. Have some respect for the guy, he earned it.Completely agree. Goturd is a classless piece of shit.

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Also agree that better QB's would have possibly hurt his production because they see the field and might have spread the ball around more. That's conjecture but Priest Holmes and Gonzo definitely benefited from having Trent Green around - there's no doubt in my mind about that.

Trent Green - Absolutely. But he certainly wasn't a Hall of Fame player or even an all-time great. He was a very good QB for a very short period of time. And like had mentioned, if he would have been fortunate enough to spend his career with a true HOF QB, the numbers could have been even bigger.

I guess we differ on the role model thing. I don't expect athletes to be role models although I'm pleasantly surprised when that happens. I think most truly successful people in the entertainment or business fields are narcissistic by nature, so my expectations have been adjusted accordingly.

gblowfish
08-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Tony G did a lot of good citizen work while in the KC Community. He was active with the United Way, and was a major generous contributor and fundraiser for Shadow Buddies in Olathe:
http://www.shadowbuddies.org/

The organization gave away over 47,000 Tony G Shadow Buddies while he was in KC.

A good friend of mine lives in Berkeley, CA, where TG went to school (Cal.) His daughter is a huge Chiefs fan and TG fan. She was flying home to KC over Christmas back about five or six years ago, and on her commercial flight out of Oakland, guess who was in the seat next to her...flying coach, not first class?

TG. He had snuck home to visit his mom for 24hrs of Christmas, spend a few hours with his family back in CA, and had to get back to KC to go back to practice for the next week's home game. So he grabbed the only flight he could get.

He was very cool, polite and very nice to her the whole flight. They talked about music, their families, her classes (she didn't go to Cal, she was going to community college at the time), everything but football. She wanted to ask him lots of Chiefs stuff, but it was Christmas and she didn't want to bug him for three hours about football, since that was "work." At the end of the flight he signed a personalized autograph for her, gave her a hug and wished her well, thanked her for being so cool on the flight and for being a Chiefs fan. I saw her the next day at a gathering, and she was very excited about meeting him by chance like that.

He's a good dude. That's the way to carry yourself in public.

And he's one hell of a football player.

Phobia
08-12-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm very well aware of his shadow buddies work and connections he made through that organization. I'm all too aware.

Hammock Parties
08-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Don't forget that Carl Peterson and Tony Gonzalez were like blood brothers.

The Hitler and Stalin of Chiefs football.

WV
08-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Don't forget that Carl Peterson and Tony Gonzalez were like blood brothers.

The Hitler and Stalin of Chiefs football.

CP had to hang his hat on his one good decision....of course they were close.

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2010, 11:04 PM

Unreal.

Completely agree with you on this one.

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2010, 11:07 PM
There isn't any doubt that he will be a first ballot HOF TE. I belong to the club that believes if we had any of those other QB's you mentioned that they would've probably thrown the ball to the WR's a little more and we may have won a few more games. I believe he benefited from our shitty QB play rather than was hurt by it.

TG got open and made catches. What are you trying to say the great QB's would ignore making plays. Gotta disagree with you on that. If he had great QB's TG would be at 1300+ receptions at this point in his career.

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Compelling? Absolutely not. It's an obvious story but the lies are a bit much. Gonzo cried about preseason the entire time he was here but now he wants to tell us he's excited about a preseason game? He doesn't give a single crap about this game.

Might just be excited because he is coming back to Arrowhead. I don't think the fact that it is a preseason game has anything to do with it. Lying? maybe but I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Phobia
08-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Might just be excited because he is coming back to Arrowhead.

Doubtful. In fact, I'd put $500 on it. That's not a reason.

Hammock Parties
08-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Only Chiefs fans will remember Tony Gonzalez.

In 20 years when NFL fans reminisce about the last 10, they will talk about Brady, Moss, Faulk, TO, Tomlinson, Ray Lewis, etc.

Tony will be an afterthought.

Phobia
08-12-2010, 11:25 PM
TG got open and made catches. What are you trying to say the great QB's would ignore making plays. Gotta disagree with you on that. If he had great QB's TG would be at 1300+ receptions at this point in his career.

What he's saying is that a great QB is going to be able to find other targets not just automatically checkdown to Gonzo like Grbac and Green did routinely.

Phobia
08-12-2010, 11:26 PM

In 20 years when NFL fans reminisce about the last 10, they will talk about Brady, Moss, Faulk, TO, Tomlinson, Ray Lewis, etc.

Because the Chiefs didn't do anything in the postseason? Nah - doubtful.

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Completely agree with you on this one.

Come on, Dude. You agree with me ALL THE TIME!

:D

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 11:36 PM

You know, you've always been a a fucking dumbass, incapable of understanding the game of football, but JFC, you've just topped yourself.

Fantasy Football is GIGANTIC, worldwide. Madden Football is GIGANTIC, worldwide.

People will ALWAYS remember his abilities, passion and numbers, regardless of what team he played for because of FF and Madden.

I hope he wins a ring but if he doesn't he's still a first ballot HOFer.

Anyone that's watched football since 1997 respects him greatly.

Hammock Parties
08-12-2010, 11:41 PM

You know, you've always been a a fucking dumbass, incapable of understanding the game of football, but JFC, you've just topped yourself.

Fantasy Football is GIGANTIC, worldwide. Madden Football is GIGANTIC, worldwide.

People will ALWAYS remember his abilities, passion and numbers, regardless of what team he played for because of FF and Madden.

I hope he wins a ring but if he doesn't he's still a first ballot HOFer.

Anyone that's watched football since 1997 respects him greatly.

http://www.fish-killgore.com/tarpon_fishing_001-1a.jpg

Katie
08-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, I never saw Tony give up in any game...no matter how bad we were losing

Hammock Parties
08-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, I never saw Tony give up in any game...no matter how bad we were losing

Sure, he was a stat hound. He got off on it.

BIG_DADDY
08-13-2010, 12:04 AM
What he's saying is that a great QB is going to be able to find other targets not just automatically checkdown to Gonzo like Grbac and Green did routinely.

And they wouldn't be able to double up on him all the time either because of the other threats. TG did right by the Chiefs. He gave 100% all the time and really wanted to win. After 13 seasons you can't blame the guy for wanting a ring. I by no means think TG was some great guy but I do believe he was a great player who will be a first ballot HOFer. He is without a doubt the best TE to ever play the game. That being said I hope he never makes another catch is Arrowhead or against the Chiefs.

Phobia
08-13-2010, 12:08 AM
And they wouldn't be able to double up on him all the time either because of the other threats. TG did right by the Chiefs. He gave 100% all the time and really wanted to win. After 13 seasons you can't blame the guy for wanting a ring. I by no means think TG was some great guy but I do believe he was a great player who will be a first ballot HOFer. He is without a doubt the best TE to ever play the game. That being said I hope he never makes another catch is Arrowhead or against the Chiefs.

I think I agree with all that.

R8RFAN
08-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Nah, **** Tony Gonzalez.

He was probably in shock from actually hearing the words Chiefs and Playoffs in the same sentence ROFL