PDA

View Full Version : Football Clausen's Rookie Debut

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 12:17 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0617/nfl_u_clausen_sy_576.jpg

The Panthers are playing the Ravens tonight on ESPN, and I would hope to see Jimmy Clausen get a fair amount of plays to see what he can do against a solid team defense. The first preseason game seems to have the starters out of there after the first couple of series. With all the buzz around this guy during this years draft and his epic slide to pick number 48 I would expect that a lot of people would be interested in how he works out this year. Matt Moore is currently their starter but in my opinion not their Quarterback of the future, I could be wrong though. It could be one of the leagues more interesting Quarterback competitions to keep an eye on during the preseason.

KCrockaholic
08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Football baby! Football!

TheGuardian
08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
who gives a fuck?

ArrowheadHawk
08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
So?

Deberg_1990
08-12-2010, 12:21 PM
[IMG] Matt Moore is currently their starter but in my opinion not their Quarterback of the future,

I dont know? he was pretty decent last year.

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Matt Moore was originally signed by the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2007. He played college football at Oregon State.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2010, 12:23 PM
heh, i remember a few years ago when everyone was high on Colt Brennan after a hot preseason.

Just remember...its called Preseason for a reason.

The Franchise
08-12-2010, 12:23 PM
who gives a fuck?

The people that wanted us to draft him.

Gadzooks
08-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I was right about Clausen!

KCUnited
08-12-2010, 12:24 PM
They play the Jets on the 21st in the Motherfuck Pioli Bowl.

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 12:25 PM
who gives a ****?

I would guess all the people who wanted the chiefs to draft him

Fish
08-12-2010, 12:25 PM
♥ Jimmy............

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I still think that bradford, clausen, and McCoy will be this years drafts QB's to watch. And since only one of them will probably start it will be cool to see what they can do in the preseason.

the Talking Can
08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
who gives a ****?

fans of the NFL

DaWolf
08-12-2010, 01:19 PM
He's currently third on the depth chart so he should be seeing action with/against a lot of other scrubs...

Mr. Laz
08-12-2010, 02:15 PM
He's currently third on the depth chart so he should be seeing action with/against a lot of other scrubs...
i think they just said he was moved up to 2nd string yesterday.

Brock
08-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Last I read he's been splitting second team reps.

58-4ever
08-12-2010, 02:17 PM
If he is truly the QBOTF, they will surely get him out of there before all of the second and third string lineman go trotting out there.

notorious
08-12-2010, 02:43 PM
If he is truly the QBOTF, they will surely get him out of there before all of the second and third string lineman go trotting out there.

I want to see him play behind the 3rd string O-Line. We can gauge how he would have played here in KC as a starter........

CHENZ A!
08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
He's gonna suck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bambi
08-12-2010, 02:58 PM
He's gonna be a good NFL qb. No question.

Dayze
08-12-2010, 03:04 PM
He's gonna suck.
Posted via Mobile Device

He's gonna be a good NFL qb. No question.

LMAO

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I want to see him play behind the 3rd string O-Line. We can gauge how he would have played here in KC as a starter........

ROFL

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm calling 1 td and 1 int w about 85 yards passing

The_Doctor10
08-12-2010, 03:45 PM
I still think that bradford, clausen, and McCoy will be this years drafts QB's to watch. And since only one of them will probably start it will be cool to see what they can do in the preseason.

Really going out on a limb with that one eh?

Mr. Laz
08-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Chiefs had every reason to draft Clausen and didn't

so that means that they really believe in Cassel or really don't believe in Clausen

chiefs fans are interested to see what's what

boogblaster
08-12-2010, 03:49 PM
he was over-rated ....

Brock
08-12-2010, 03:51 PM
he was over-rated ....

Well, obviously.

Bane
08-12-2010, 03:53 PM

LMAO

ChiefsCountry
08-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I still say he is going to be Bernie Kosar. Good enough to be a franchise guy but not quite top flight.

Rausch
08-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I still say he is going to be Bernie Kosar. Good enough to be a franchise guy but not quite top flight.

So still much better than anything here in the last 10 years...

TheGuardian
08-12-2010, 05:08 PM
So still much better than anything here in the last 10 years...

Trent Green was better than Bernie Kosar ever was.

DaWolf
08-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Chiefs had every reason to draft Clausen and didn't

so that means that they really believe in Cassel or really don't believe in Clausen

chiefs fans are interested to see what's what

Another possibility is that Todd Haley really likes Croyle and didn't see Clausen as much of an upgrade to Croyle if Cassel falters. I think they absolutely had to have an alternative to Cassel if he failed this year, and Haley seems to believe in Croyle...

Consistent1
08-12-2010, 05:32 PM
The kid will be interesting to watch. There were a lot of people who know football much better than people on message boards that took a pass, or two on him. You can call Denver ignorant, or say they were trying to get a novelty player, but they took Tebow well ahead of him. I think with Favre maybe playing one year that Minny was the ideal spot. They must not have thought much of him either. It almost has to be maturity/entitlement type issues.On that Gruden QB show, he had the worst personality of all by far IMO. Let's see what he shows.

RustShack
08-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, he already looks far better than Cassel.

Pablo
08-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd like to blow a wad in this thread, since the rest of CP's collective load was strewn about the game thread.

*Covers the home row in man-syrup*

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 07:57 PM
He does look quite impressive for a rookie so far

salame
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Gruden LOVES him

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
And que the interception I called earlier

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Nice fumbled snap there buddy

CoMoChief
08-12-2010, 08:08 PM
The people that wanted us to draft him.

Guardian's not very bright since this is the NFL and not MMA. May wanna cut him some slack.

CHENZ A!
08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
He's gonna suck.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was right about Johnny Klausen

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm calling 1 td and 1 int w about 85 yards passing

Clausen ends up with 8 completions on 15 attempts for 80 yards and 1 int.

I wasn't too far off. He was looking sharp until the rain, then wr's start slipping and things got sloppy. Overall he did pretty good and has added to the controversy of whether he should start or not

Bambi
08-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Clausen made throws tonight that Matt Cassel will never be able to make.

Mr. Laz
08-12-2010, 09:34 PM

I wasn't too far off. He was looking sharp until the rain, then wr's start slipping and things got sloppy. Overall he did pretty good and has added to the controversy of whether he should start or not
the Int doesn't even count imo ... the WR fell down, the ball was in the air

:shrug:

Clausen looked solid for a rookie in his first game against the Baltimore ravens.

Fish
08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Clausen made throws tonight that Matt Cassel will never be able to make.

Painfully true.....

doomy3
08-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game tonight, but it must have been a very impressive 8/15 for 80 yards and 1 INT based on the comments in this and the game thread.

DeezNutz
08-12-2010, 09:43 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game tonight, but it must have been a very impressive 8/15 for 80 yards and 1 INT based on the comments in this and the game thread.

Receiver fell on the INT.

It wasn't the greatest performance ever, but the dude looked pretty fucking advanced for his NFL debut.

doomy3
08-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Receiver fell on the INT.

It wasn't the greatest performance ever, but the dude looked pretty ****ing advanced for his NFL debut.

Like I said, it definitely sounds that way in these threads. Was surprised to see his line after reading all of the comments. Didn't he have a couple 20+ yard passes?

DeezNutz
08-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Like I said, it definitely sounds that way in these threads. Was surprised to see his line after reading all of the comments. Didn't he have a couple 20+ yard passes?

Yep, across the middle of the field. Was able to check out of plays, including redirecting running plays, and he showed poise in the pocket, going through his progressions.

Solid showing for him.

Mr. Kotter
08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Yep, across the middle of the field. Was able to check out of plays, including redirecting running plays, and he showed poise in the pocket, going through his progressions.

Solid showing for him.

Against 1st teamers, 2nd teamers, or training camp fodder? Just askin'... :shrug:

DeezNutz
08-12-2010, 09:59 PM
2nd teamers, primarily.

Mr. Kotter
08-12-2010, 10:01 PM
2nd teamers, primarily.

Meh. Well, he could be Brodie Croyle or slightly better, then. ;)

Heh.

Consistent1
08-12-2010, 10:09 PM
It wasn't a bad start at all. The pick might have been a catch if the receiver wasn't on the ground, at least would have broken the INT up. He seemed to be pretty composed overall.

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Ya that guy put the pick on a silver platter, but either way a picks a pick

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-12-2010, 10:24 PM
, but either way a picks a pick

That's really ignorant.

CHENZ A!
08-12-2010, 10:28 PM
The pass over the middle where the receiver caught it off a deflection, and the screen pass he threw into traffic while falling back won't work 9 times out of 10 either......

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 10:48 PM
That's really ignorant.

Why because in a stat book it says but it was all rainy and the guy fell and broke a nail, no it's fucking football and you play in the elements. Both teams do and pick is a pick no matter what.

DeezNutz
08-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Why because in a stat book it says but it was all rainy and the guy fell and broke a nail, no it's ****ing football and you play in the elements. Both teams do and pick is a pick no matter what.

Wait. Are we allowed to evaluate QBs based on their on-field production this year?

xztop12
08-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Pioli, in all his interviews talks about how the coaches have disputes in a productive manner. Well considering they haven't played a regular season game yet, i think we know what the dispute was over.

-King-
08-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Pioli, in all his interviews talks about how the coaches have disputes in a productive manner. Well considering they haven't played a regular season game yet, i think we know what the dispute was over.

:spock:

KCrockaholic
08-12-2010, 11:00 PM

I don't think anyone knows what the fuck you're talking about.

08-12-2010, 11:01 PM

I wasn't too far off. He was looking sharp until the rain, then wr's start slipping and things got sloppy. Overall he did pretty good and has added to the controversy of whether he should start or notFrom what I saw, he throws very risky passes. Quite a few of them could easily have gone the other way.

KCrockaholic
08-12-2010, 11:07 PM
From what I saw, he throws very risky passes. Quite a few of them could easily have gone the other way.

That middle screen when everyone was bunched up was scary.

I've said this many, many times about Clausen. He is not "pro ready". He is going to be a very good quarterback in the NFL. Give him 3 years and we are looking at a top 15 QB.

Pro-ready to me, is like Matt Ryan's rookie year. Clausen couldn't match that if his life depended on it, even with the Falcons talent.

But I'm not bashing Clausen. I think he's an arrogant asshole, JMO, but he is going to need at least 2 years to be a really good QB.

I'm just completely against his "pro-ready" label.

HotRoute
08-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Out of Bradford, Tebow, McCoy & Clausen who is the most pro ready?

KCwolf
08-13-2010, 12:37 AM

thinkin the guy that signed the 60 MILLION

Marcellus
08-13-2010, 06:01 AM

:doh!:

You eat a big bowl of dumbass before posting this?

ModSocks
08-13-2010, 09:15 AM
From what I saw, he throws very risky passes. Quite a few of them could easily have gone the other way.

A saw a bunch of WR's who couldn't get seperation and a Qb who, yeah, forced some plays, but fuck it, it worked.

Brock
08-13-2010, 09:18 AM

It looked really familiar for some reason.

KCrockaholic
08-13-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm not a big fan of any of them. But, If I had to pick, I'd take Bradford over Clausen any day.

Ask this again next year and I will have a better answer. This years QB class was pretty average compared to what we usually see. Luckily the other positions of the 2010 draft were awesome.

sedated
08-13-2010, 09:27 AM
The pass over the middle where the receiver caught it off a deflection, and the screen pass he threw into traffic while falling back won't work 9 times out of 10 either......

This. He looked poised for a rookie, and looked to have a great arm, but I didn’t understand the love he was getting from the announcers.

The first pass over the middle was behind the receiver and got tipped by the DB; the WR just made a great play. The screen pass was thrown against his body, off his back foot, into traffic. The long pass for the 3rd down conversion was also behind the WR IIRC. And when there was under a minute left in the half, when time was running out, he ran and slid (costing a ton of time), then threw a dump-off pass where the RB got tackled in-bounds, and they BARELY were able to spike it with 1 second left.

Clausen made a lot of bad decisions.

DJ's left nut
08-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Questionable decisionmaking, but to be expected for a rookie.

Unquestionably more talented than Shat.

Should've taken him.

HotRoute
08-13-2010, 11:14 AM
thinkin the guy that signed the 60 MILLION

I think Bradfords contract was worth even more than that, but since j.russell I'm not convinced money makes a player ready for the NFL. Bradford has been injured a lot and missed a lot of valuable time at OU and if I remember right clausen was the one who played in a pro style offense at ND. But dont get me wrong I think they're both going to do well at the NFL level

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Why because in a stat book it says but it was all rainy and the guy fell and broke a nail, no it's fucking football and you play in the elements. Both teams do and pick is a pick no matter what.

Only a dumbass would equate a pick caused by the receiver falling down and a Jake Plummer left handed INT from his own end-zone as equal b/c an "INT is an INT".

ModSocks
08-13-2010, 11:25 AM
This. He looked poised for a rookie, and looked to have a great arm, but I didn’t understand the love he was getting from the announcers.

The first pass over the middle was behind the receiver and got tipped by the DB; the WR just made a great play. The screen pass was thrown against his body, off his back foot, into traffic. The long pass for the 3rd down conversion was also behind the WR IIRC. And when there was under a minute left in the half, when time was running out, he ran and slid (costing a ton of time), then threw a dump-off pass where the RB got tackled in-bounds, and they BARELY were able to spike it with 1 second left.

Clausen made a lot of bad decisions.

You must not remember correctly. He led the WR on that play. Something we haven't seen from a KC QB in awhile.

These would be my knocks on him for his FIRST preseason game in the NFL:

1. His footwork got real sloppy when he left the pocket. On one play, it almost looked like he was about to trip over himself.

2. His throwing motion was inconsistant IMO. Notice how he didn't have any tight spirals?

3. The throw into traffic on the screen play was pretty bad.

4. He was forcing the ball. But the kid was playing with a chip on his shoulder. He wanted to look good and his receivers got no seperation.

positives:

1. He knew how to read the defense and make adjustments. It was a thing of beauty, especially for a rookie. He looked like he was in command of the offense, much more than Matt Moore did.

2. His passes were on target.

3. Poised in the pocket.

4. He made plays and put his team in position to win. That's what winning QB's do. They find a way to get it done, and that's what he did.

5. Damn, he has a real quick release.

6. He surveyed the field and went through his progressions. Moore locked onto one receiver.

He looks like someone who has all the tools but just needs experience. I think he's going to be an all-pro.

Ralphy Boy
08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Announcers are as full of shit as any of us. Fact is that I like Clausen, wanted us to draft him and think he is the most pro ready of the QB's in this years draft. That said, he was poised and confident but made some really bonehead plays that he was lucky didn't go the other way. He deserved to throw the one pick, where the reciever fell down, since he escaped a few others.

You can't look at that game and say that it was too big for him. A lot of rooks would have shit themselves, only thrown safe passes and taken a bunch of sacks. He managed the game very well and that is why the announcers were on his jock. They just couldn't show him throwing it O/B as a highlight. He had very good pocket awareness but Carolina's defense isn't exactly known for getting to the QB anymore.

Clausen went 8/15 for 80 yards & 1 INT the first time out in the NFL.

Cassel went 2/5 for 15 yards last year in the first preseason game.

Ralphy Boy
08-13-2010, 11:31 AM
He looks like someone who has all the tools but just needs experience. I think he's going to be an all-pro.

Well said.

HotRoute
08-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Only a dumbass would equate a pick caused by the receiver falling down and a Jake Plummer left handed INT from his own end-zone as equal b/c an "INT is an INT".

So your telling me at the end of a season or at the end of someones career they look at someones stats and start taking int's away because of certain circumstances? I don't think that's the case. When all is said and done it doesn't matter how it happened, the truth is it happened and to even argue about it is stupid.

ModSocks
08-13-2010, 11:36 AM
So your telling me at the end of a season or at the end of someones career they look at someones stats and start taking int's away because of certain circumstances? I don't think that's the case. When all is said and done it doesn't matter how it happened, the truth is it happened and to even argue about it is stupid.

We're talking about evaluating a QB, not racking up fantasy points. the question at hand is, "was it a bad throw?"

The answer is no, it wasn't. That's all that matters right now. That's all that matters to the coaches.

HotRoute
08-13-2010, 11:40 AM
What is to be evaluated is his quality of play as compared to Matt Moore's quality of play and I wouldn't be surprised if clausen is darting by wk 4. But that all depends on his next couple wks in preseason.

CHENZ A!
08-13-2010, 11:41 AM

I think he's trying to say that INT's like that will even theselves out over a career. Defenders will drop some on bad throws, and WR's will fuck you on some.
Posted via Mobile Device

HotRoute
08-13-2010, 11:44 AM
We should also compare his play to that of Matt cassel's quality of play, but that might take turn for the worst around here

HotRoute
08-13-2010, 11:50 AM
We're talking about evaluating a QB, not racking up fantasy points. the question at hand is, "was it a bad throw?"

The answer is no, it wasn't. That's all that matters right now. That's all that matters to the coaches.

Ya I agree with that, when I was watching sportscenter and they showed that play Chris Carter said something along the line of 70% of int's are the wr's fault. Which this one clearly was