PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whats new wildcat? meow meow meow meow

LaChapelle
08-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Team-first Mentality
www.sjnp.com (http://www.sjnp.com)

Thomas Jones can’t say enough good things about being a member of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The veteran running back, who signed with Kansas City as a free agent this offseason, enters his 11th NFL season and said he’s pleased to see his teammates working hard during training camp at Missouri Western.

“Guys are pushing each other and working really hard and doing the things we’ve got to do to get better,” Jones said after Wednesday’s morning practice. “For me, it’s just a great situation for me to be in because there are a lot of guys on this team that have a lot of talent. I’m just happy to be a part of it.”

Jones, a 5-foot-10, 212 pound running back from Virginia, is coming off of his best season as a pro.

With the New York Jets last year, Jones gained 1,402 yards and scored 14 touchdowns — both career highs. He also has gained more than 1,000 yards in each of the past five seasons, a mark only equaled by St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson.

Despite those numbers, Jones said he doesn’t have any personal goals heading for the upcoming season, except to help the Chiefs become a winning football team.

“I don’t set personal goals,” Jones said. “I just go out there and play as hard as I can and let the chips fall where they may. That’s the way I’ve always played.”

It’s that mentality from Jones — and his penchant for being one of the first players on the practice field and one of the last players off it — that has the Kansas City coaching staff drooling.

“Thomas will be mad. I shouldn’t be talking, but I’m really happy he’s here,” Chiefs head coach Todd Haley said. “I’m excited about what I see on the field from him, talent aspect and the skill aspect.”

Jones’ obvious talents lie in running the football, but the Chiefs offensive coaches appear to be looking at other ways to utilize him.

At times during the two weeks of training camp, Jones has practiced taking direct snaps in a Wildcat-style formation. And in a goal-line situation Wednesday against the first defensive squad, Jones took a direct snap and shuffled toward the offensive line before lofting a touchdown pass to wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.

Jones will pair with Jamaal Charles this year, giving the Chiefs two 1,000-yard running backs for the first time in franchise history. Jones said he plans to pick up some new techniques from Charles, who’s entering his third season, and show the young player a few tricks as well.

“I think he’s a really good back. I’m just happy to play with him,” Jones said. “I’m learning a lot from him just by being around him and watching some film, taking some stuff from his game and trying to add it to my game and kind of vice versa. It’s a good situation for both of us.”

At this point in training camp, Haley has Jones ahead of Charles on the depth chart and said Jones could likely be starter come Week 1.
Haley has been preaching for competition at every position and said he’s thrilled about his top two running backs thus far.

“That particular position is one I’m excited about on a bunch of different levels, Thomas being a big part of that and Jamaal being a big part of that,” Haley said. “We’re going to play the guy who we think gives us the best chance to win on that particular day, that particular series, that particular half, whatever it is.”

Nick Draper can be reached at npsports@newspressnow.com
<!-- your post content appears here -->

Rain Man
08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Didn't Word and Okoye pair for 1,000 yard seasons one year? Or did one of them not return the following year and that's what the author is talking about?

Dante84
08-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Hmm.... looks like we've got our own older, slower, Ronnie Brown folks.

PS - TJ's muscles make the oldspice guy look like a bottom bitch on troost.

LaChapelle
08-12-2010, 04:21 PM
The truefans will be throwing their bunched panties at him

too heavy on the Tom Jones references

Marcellus
08-12-2010, 04:55 PM

What does the stupid ****ing moniker "truefan" have to do with TJ?

Due non "truefans" not like hardworking, productive, reasonably priced running backs that fit a need?

LaChapelle
08-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Have you ever soaked a sponge in icewater
and sat on it while naked
try it out

boogblaster
08-12-2010, 05:35 PM
meooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Dante84
08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
What does the stupid ****ing moniker "truefan" have to do with TJ?

Due non "truefans" not like hardworking, productive, reasonably priced running backs that fit a need?

They due. They due indeed.

Extra Point
08-12-2010, 06:42 PM

Next January, with "AFCW Champs" on the bottoms!