PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: First preseason game offers an expected dose of reality

Tribal Warfare
08-13-2010, 10:59 PM
First preseason game offers an expected dose of reality (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/13/2149101/first-preseason-game-offers-an.html)
SAM MELLINGER COMMENTARY

ATLANTA | Well, honestly. This is about what we all should’ve expected, right?

The NFL schedule doesn’t offer much worse of an evaluation tool than the first preseason game, and the Chiefs — for all their positive momentum — are still feeling their way. So any disappointment fans feel this morning speaks more about unwarranted training-camp optimism than anything we saw in a 20-10 loss at the Georgia Dome on Friday night.

Here’s the good: Jamaal Charles, Dexter McCluster and Tamba Hali each had moments to dream upon. McCluster will always be dogged by doubts about his 5-foot-8, 170-pound body, so it’s worth noting he took a highlight-caliber hit and popped back up immediately.

Here’s the bad: plenty, but in particular the starting front seven, which got floored against Atlanta’s starters. This is one area the Chiefs didn’t do much to address in an otherwise productive offseason.

Throw in the funny — McCluster lining up next to 6-foot-8 Leonard Pope — and you have the talking points.

The more important issue, of course, is what this means going forward and the answer is something close to not that much, other than perhaps to provide some reality against eight months or so of hype.

For instance, the Chiefs’ defense did much better against the run after the Falcons’ first drive, but it’s hard to get excited about stopping the backups.

For instance, the Chiefs’ pass defense held up pretty well — Matt Ryan completed three of six for 34 yards with Hali bringing repeated pressure — but the sample size is too small for much excitement.

And for instance, the Chiefs had some struggles typical of a young team in mid-August. Javier Arenas and Eric Berry were visibly confused before a handful of snaps. Fans will continue to wonder why Derrick Johnson is still at the point where the coaches are playing him in the fourth quarter of preseason games.

Any letdown is natural. Matt Cassel threw nothing but short passes. Dwayne Bowe didn’t get a ball thrown his way. The offensive line didn’t make much of an impact. Many of the Falcons’ defensive starters played only two series, and with the Chiefs going impotent, that meant only six plays.

On defense, it was a sort of bend-but-don’t-break act, and you’re left with the feeling that Michael Turner could’ve had 150 yards and a couple of touchdowns in a full game.

But, really, were any of the disappointments unpredictable? There’s been so much talk about Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel and Berry and McCluster and it’s fun to dream, but a little reality to measure against doesn’t hurt. Those playoff predictions — and, yes, there have been a few — might need adjusting.

So maybe this is the starting point. Cassel is still a relatively inexperienced quarterback working toward a ceiling that may be “adequate.” The offense has more playmakers — particularly if Bowe cuts back on the knucklehead — but are any of them stars?

Hali is a hard-working and respected teammate who fits the Scott Pioli profile. Berry has the same look. How many others are there? Crennel is a respected defensive coach working with an improved secondary, but how can the Chiefs win the line of scrimmage with this front seven?

One preseason game isn’t nearly enough to form lasting opinions, of course.

And that’s probably a good thing. Because the Chiefs showed nothing to match up with the last eight months or so of conversation that’s been remarkably positive for a team that’s won 10 games in the last three years.

DaneMcCloud
08-13-2010, 11:04 PM
The game starts on the NFL Network in 30 minutes.

I haven't read this article but I can only imagine its content.

Only unreasonable people expected the Chiefs to look good, let alone win more than six this year.

DeezNutz
08-13-2010, 11:10 PM
The game starts on the NFL Network in 30 minutes.

I haven't read this article but I can only imagine its content.

Only unreasonable people expected the Chiefs to look good, let alone win more than six this year.

Color me unreasonable.

This roster was not nearly as bereft of talent as some like to portray when Pioli accepted the job. We paid for the best, and it's time to expect him to perform to his contract.

One "franchise" QB, one #3 overall pick, and one #5 overall pick later, plus two proven coordinators (meanwhile doing nothing to improve the defensive front 7), and it's put-up or shut-up time.

8-8. No less. Below 6-10 = ****ing disaster.

DaneMcCloud
08-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Color me unreasonable.

This roster was not nearly as bereft of talent as some like to portray when Pioli accepted the job. We paid for the best, and it's time to expect him to perform to his contract.

One "franchise" QB, one #3 overall pick, and one #5 overall pick later, plus two proven coordinators (meanwhile doing nothing to improve the defensive front 7), and it's put-up or shut-up time.

8-8. No less. Below 6-10 = ****ing disaster.

I expect disaster.

Pioli's a fucking clueless moron and Haley's close behind

The Carolina Panthers are three QB's deep (as are a few other teams) and the Chiefs aren't even one deep.

This team will be lucky to win six but Clark Hunt won't make a move.

Let's keep in mind, the Hunts were content to miss the playoffs for 15 straight years.

RealSNR
08-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Probably repost from the gamethread, but...

Man, the Chiefs could have fuckin used Terrence Cody out there instead of Javier fucking Arenas

DaneMcCloud
08-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Probably repost from the gamethread, but...

Man, the Chiefs could have fuckin used Terrence Cody out there instead of Javier fucking Arenas

The Chiefs have Ron Edwards.

Duh.

DeezNutz
08-13-2010, 11:30 PM
I expect disaster.

Pioli's a ****ing clueless moron and Haley's close behind

The Carolina Panthers are three QB's deep (as are a few other teams) and the Chiefs aren't even one deep.

Let's keep in mind, the Hunts were content to miss the playoffs for 15 straight years.

I tend to agree with all of this, but my point is that I'm not cutting him any slack for his (Pioli's) incompetence. I think he expected 8-8 last year, and the fact that our major additions this year are our coaches speaks to this belief.

What I think will happen and what I "expect" are two different things.

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2010, 12:05 AM
I expect disaster.

Pioli's a ****ing clueless moron and Haley's close behind

8-8

Hootie
08-14-2010, 12:09 AM
omg lmao it was ONE preseason game...

hahahaha hysterical

Hammock Parties
08-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Yawn. The Star should fire Mellinger immediately. He's a brutally awful columnist.

Rasputin
08-14-2010, 12:28 AM
omg lmao it was ONE preseason game...

hahahaha hysterical

It's going to be hysterical on Monday night football in 4 weeks that we play like thisLMAO The fans are going to be in the stands just laughing there asses off I'm sure, if we play like we did against the Falcons. We got a long ways to go I know that. This is pre season so can't judge a book by it's cover I asume. Monday sept 13 we better be looking like we belong out there or shit is going to hit the fan with the fan base. They kept advertising season tickets and theres going to be plenty of empty seats. I'l be happy to go to any game but I don't want to be embarassed like the raiders did to us last year. We should be up in arms if they don't start looking like an NFL team. Score touchdowns in the first quarter with the starting unit or move the chains respectfully so that we can get some momementum.

Just Passin' By
08-14-2010, 12:43 AM
The Super Bowl champion Saints went three and out twice, for a whopping combined total of -1 yard, on their first two drives against the Patriots, and scored only 7 first half points. Brees played all but the last 5 minutes of the half.

It's game one of the exhibition season, nothing more.

ChiefsCountry
08-14-2010, 12:48 AM
I wish this fucking Patriot troll would just die.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bambi
08-14-2010, 01:19 AM
McCluster's too small. It's painfully obvious now.

God this sucks

HemiEd
08-14-2010, 01:54 AM
I just watched the first half, and part of the third quarter. If this team had a QB, I would be pretty darned excited. Cassel is the worst fucking disaster since Carl drafted Todd Blackledge.

Rasputin
08-14-2010, 02:07 AM
I know it's been a long time ago, but didn't we score the most points in a game during a "pre-season expadition" against the Bears & wearnt we just suppose to be AFL rejects from the NFL or NFC? I mean Damn we have fallen from grace this much if we can't get an attitude/ like we did back then when Lamar Hunt had a dream of this league and the AFL being domminant over the NFC. We are a bunch of pansies, this is football put up or shut up.

So we just have to accept sucking during pre-season? **** that I expect this team to get better and I don't care what it takes. They get paid a hell of alot of money and the tickets are too much for me to get to go to any games. Rebuilding, we've heard that line for the last five years now. I know new regime and all but with a 28 year old QB don't give me that shit eather. We have had a sucking O-line ever sinse Willie Roaf and Will Shields retired, news flash Brian Waters aint getting younger either. No excuses tired of excuses. We do have players and play makers they are young and exiting and ready to make there mark in the NFL. They need to have the body of work from the coaches and O-line and QB so they can make the plays we want to see. It's time for this team to suck it up and play ball.

MadMax
08-14-2010, 02:12 AM
I know it's been a long time ago, but didn't we score the most points in a game during a "pre-season expadition" against the Bears & wearnt we just suppose to be AFL rejects from the NFL or NFC? I mean Damn we have fallen from grace this much if we can't get an attitude/ like we did back then when Lamar Hunt had a dream of this league and the AFL being domminant over the NFC. We are a bunch of pansies, this is football put up or shut up.

So we just have to accept sucking during pre-season? **** that I expect this team to get better and I don't care what it takes. They get paid a hell of alot of money and the tickets are too much for me to get to go to any games. Rebuilding, we've heard that line for the last five years now. I know new regime and all but with a 28 year old QB don't give me that shit eather. We have had a sucking O-line ever sinse Willie Roaf and Will Shields retired, news flash Brian Waters aint getting younger either. No excuses tired of excuses. We do have players and play makers they are young and exiting and ready to make there mark in the NFL. They need to have the body of work from the coaches and O-line and QB so they can make the plays we want to see. It's time for this team to suck it up and play ball.

AMEN!!! And nice tat too :)

Rasputin
08-14-2010, 02:17 AM
AMEN!!! And nice tat too :)

What's up MadMax? It's been long time bro how youve been?

Remember me this is KC Tattoo.

Messier
08-14-2010, 03:01 AM
McCluster's too small. It's painfully obvious now.

God this sucks

Painfully obvious, in that he kept getting first downs, or what?

MadMax
08-14-2010, 03:04 AM
What's up MadMax? It's been long time bro how youve been?

Remember me this is KC Tattoo.

YES! How the hell are you bro? I guess we continue to think alike :)

MadMax
08-14-2010, 03:07 AM
I just watched the first half, and part of the third quarter. If this team had a QB, I would be pretty darned excited. Cassel is the worst ****ing disaster since Carl drafted Todd Blackledge.

But but but but he just needs an all star line and an all star WR crew he will be fine... BULLFUCKINSHIT! He SUCKS!!!!! PERIOD!

Rasputin
08-14-2010, 03:13 AM
YES! How the hell are you bro? I guess we continue to think alike :)

Yep and it's the same ol story Brodie looks better than the starter but yada yada yada excuses excuses excuse.... I know Brodie threw an INT and that was a bone head mistake on his part, but he still is better than Cassel or Huard or any other QB we get from the Patriots. lol

I started a thread about me already, maybe you can check it out about me getting my daughter good times are ahead of me! Its called rejoice... But I have a hurniated disk pinched nerve so that part sucks.. BTW I get no excuses for hurting I still have to go to work and pay bills so I am tired of the excuses that our O-line sux. It's the QBs job to produce on the field and make the rest of the team look good.

milkman
08-14-2010, 03:26 AM

Throw in a couple of commas.

Rasputin
08-14-2010, 03:32 AM
Throw in a couple of commas.

LMAO Thanks, I'm working on that :facepalm:

tmax63
08-14-2010, 07:04 AM
I love this story. A couple series isn't enough to say that the d played better but they can say everyone but JC and DMC sucked. I guess I didn't watch the same game. I thought I saw some improvement. Ryan didn't have time to smoke a joint, eat some Cheetos and then throw the ball like last year. He actually had to move a step or 3 side to side on most plays meaning he had to pay some attention to his blocking and couldn't just fixate on his receivers the whole time. Isn't 4 seconds to throw the ball better than 6-8 seconds like last year? 1st series they bent but stopped then for a field goal. I saw them break alot last year. I saw some 3rd and longs last evening. There were games last year that I never saw 3rd and 10. Again, not good, but I think better than last year. On offense they had 2 3 and outs to start the game. Hell, I saw entire halfs last year that were 3 and outs. They followed that up with 3 possesions of getting into FG range. Work to be done, absolutely, but not as abysmal as last year at this time. The writer said it felt like Turner could of had 150yds and a couple td's. Well it kinda felt like JC could of had a 100+ day and DMC could of gotten quite a bit more as well. Both over 5ypc and showing some flash. I know the Chiefs still suck but I don't see them sucking "bawls" like last year.

Rausch
08-14-2010, 07:14 AM
This game exceeded my expectations.

Cassel looked like Cassel. To me, no better or worse than last year.

Croyle looked ready to start if something should happen (and I'm starting to think it should) to Cassel.

The STARTING defense calmed down after the first drive and looked really good (3 pts given up in the first half.)

McCluster really impressed me.

WE HAVE A KICK RETURNER!ONE1BBQ!LEPRECHAUNSINSPACE1!1

notorious
08-14-2010, 07:16 AM
What did everyone expect?

The front 7 are exactly the same, so why are we so surprised they got whipped on?

The only solid observation I came away with is that Cassel still refuses to look downfield and Croyle at least tries to look deep. This team never do anything significant with a QB like Cassel.

Rausch
08-14-2010, 07:19 AM
What did everyone expect?

The front 7 are exactly the same, so why are we so surprised they got whipped on?

I didn't see them getting whipped on, I saw inconsistent play.

Stuffed run, stuffed run, 12 yard pass for 1st down.

Stuffed run, run of 11 yards.

Broken up pass, run for 3, run for 9.

ETC...

notorious
08-14-2010, 07:26 AM
I didn't see them getting whipped on, I saw inconsistent play.

Stuffed run, stuffed run, 12 yard pass for 1st down.

Stuffed run, run of 11 yards.

Broken up pass, run for 3, run for 9.

ETC...

They did stiff up in the red zone. Maybe that's all we can expect, and it would be a major improvement over last year.

But, they got dominated at the line of scrimmage the first two series. A defense can't be allow runs of 5+ yards every other play.

Rausch
08-14-2010, 07:35 AM
They did stiff up in the red zone. Maybe that's all we can expect, and it would be a major improvement over last year.

But, they got dominated at the line of scrimmage the first two series. A defense can't be allow runs of 5+ yards every other play.

Our DT's suck, I don't know what else to tell you.

I think on a given play, game, or series, when we have to get the stop, this defense can.

I do NOT think we can "shut down" top 10 HB's consistently...

notorious
08-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Our DT's suck, I don't know what else to tell you.

I think on a given play, game, or series, when we have to get the stop, this defense can.

I do NOT think we can "shut down" top 10 HB's consistently...

I agree with everything but the second line. Hopefully Crennel is the answer to my doubts.

bobbything
08-14-2010, 08:05 AM
the Chiefs’ defense did much better against the run after the Falcons’ first drive
That's because the Falcons stopped running up the middle. Honestly, anyone who knows dick about football could see that our Dline was getting abused by their Oline on that first drive. If Atlanta wanted to, they could have popped off for 6, 7, and 8 yards per play, if they would have kept running Michael Turner up the gut.

The "strength" (I use that word very liberally) of this Dline is on the outside, provided by the linebackers. When Atlanta decided to run on the edge, they were much better. And I thought we got a decent pass rush from there too.

Though, I only watched with a keen eye until the end of the half. Incidentally, and I'm sure it's been touched on, Cassel looked far more uncomfortable out there than Croyle did. I don't know how you overthrow a wide open Leonard Pope, but Cassel managed to do that.

shitgoose
08-14-2010, 08:18 AM
I just watched the first half, and part of the third quarter. If this team had a QB, I would be pretty darned excited. Cassel is the worst ****ing disaster since Carl drafted Todd Blackledge.

Pretty sure that one wasn't on Carl

Rausch
08-14-2010, 08:23 AM
That's because the Falcons stopped running up the middle. Honestly, anyone who knows dick about football could see that our Dline was getting abused by their Oline on that first drive. If Atlanta wanted to, they could have popped off for 6, 7, and 8 yards per play, if they would have kept running Michael Turner up the gut.

The "strength" (I use that word very liberally) of this Dline is on the outside, provided by the linebackers. When Atlanta decided to run on the edge, they were much better. And I thought we got a decent pass rush from there too.

Though, I only watched with a keen eye until the end of the half. Incidentally, and I'm sure it's been touched on, Cassel looked far more uncomfortable out there than Croyle did. I don't know how you overthrow a wide open Leonard Pope, but Cassel managed to do that.

Pretty much what I saw.

If we had the same old tards at DC I'd worry that this year would be just like last year: speed rushers pushed outside and behind the QB, DT's mauled backwards, QB/HB is safe for the huge run/pass over the middle.

But we don't still have Dumther, Pederast, or GROB...

TEX
08-14-2010, 08:23 AM
The front 7 was the weakest point on the team ending last season and the Chiefs chose to draft offense in rounds 2 & 3. I was speechless on draft day. They simply can't win with the players they have up front. I suppose that will be next year's priority.

Baby Lee
08-14-2010, 08:27 AM

C'mon poopgander, you're better than this.

Reaper16
08-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Yawn. The Star should fire Mellinger immediately. He's a brutally awful columnist.
:spock:

Rausch
08-14-2010, 08:33 AM
The front 7 was the weakest point on the team ending last season and the Chiefs chose to draft offense in rounds 2 & 3. I was speechless on draft day. They simply can't win with the players they have up front. I suppose that will be next year's priority.

No one was more pissed than me on draft day but watching the guys who played on the field:
1) I didn't even notice Berry.
2) We have a playmaking returner now (and if he's a respectable nickel at this point that's a plus.)
3) McCluster is a fucking playmaker (until someone breaks him.)

I'm not trying to ballwash Pioli but the pick's I loved the most did little and the picks that made me want to punch Grandma made big plays and stood out...

notorious
08-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Cassel is the worst ****ing disaster since Carl drafted Todd Blackledge.

......and when Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

Don't interupt him, he's on a roll.......

milkman
08-14-2010, 09:53 AM

......and when Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

Don't interupt him, he's on a roll.......

You kids need to shut the hell up and let the old timers talk the planet lexicon.

Fish
08-14-2010, 10:20 AM
This game exceeded my expectations.

Cassel looked like Cassel. To me, no better or worse than last year.

Croyle looked ready to start if something should happen (and I'm starting to think it should) to Cassel.

The STARTING defense calmed down after the first drive and looked really good (3 pts given up in the first half.)

McCluster really impressed me.

WE HAVE A KICK RETURNER!ONE1BBQ!LEPRECHAUNSINSPACE1!1

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. Most of the game went exactly as we should have expected. I don't see what the big deal is.

Messier
08-14-2010, 10:27 AM
That's pretty much my thoughts as well. Most of the game went exactly as we should have expected. I don't see what the big deal is.

It seems like the people that thought the Chiefs would be really bad are the most upset. I don't know what that says, but it's interesting.

milkman
08-14-2010, 10:32 AM
It seems like the people that thought the Chiefs would be really bad are the most upset. I don't know what that says, but it's interesting.

It could be that they wanted to see anything that would prove them wrong.

When your team sucks, and you know it, it sucks to be right.

OnTheWarpath15
08-14-2010, 10:39 AM

Bingo.

Ming the Merciless
08-14-2010, 11:08 AM

I agree 100% with this...

It is very odd.

I Think the Chiefs will win 6-8 games...Thought that before the season started, and still think it.

It will be an improvement...and if we can manage to win 8, a big one.

Ming the Merciless
08-14-2010, 11:09 AM

I can't believe I am gonna say this...

I agree with the MilkMan

Messier
08-14-2010, 11:21 AM
I agree 100% with this...

It is very odd.

I Think the Chiefs will win 6-8 games...Thought that before the season started, and still think it.

It will be an improvement...and if we can manage to win 8, a big one.

That's what I think too. If they fall in that 6-8 win window I won't be that disappointed...well maybe a little with 6-10, but it falls into what I expect.

T-post Tom
08-14-2010, 11:32 AM
1. Tony G seemed to give the Falcons a lot of their early momentum with his key catches. Sadly, he didn't have to do much to make our LBs look bad in coverage.

2. It's only one game, but Jeremy Horne seems to have an ability to get behind the secondary consistently. (He did in TC when I was there too.) Maybe he ends up being a good deep threat for the Chiefs' offense. Now we need a QB that can deliver the ball accurately on deep routes.

3. Atlanta has great cheerleaders.