PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Atlanta's Take on the Game

T-post Tom
08-14-2010, 01:25 PM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/falcons-open-with-a-591906.html

Falcons open with a strong showing against the Chiefs
By D. Orlando Ledbetter

Running back Michael Turner can indeed catch the football.

That was one glimmer of a highlight to glean from the Falcons' 20-10 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs in their exhibition opener Friday night at the Georgia Dome.

It was only one catch, but it showed an area where the team plans to diversify on offense and was lightly applauded by the announced crowd of 65,726.

The offense opened the game by involving Turner on their first four plays. He had two carries, caught a pass and then had another carry. The most impressive was the first carry, when he moved the pile on a 7-yard gain.

The Falcons want to establish Turner, who has only 22 career receptions, as a receiving threat out of the backfield. He was the checkdown guy and gained six yards on his reception.

"We kind of wanted to go out there and set the tone early," Turner said. :mad: "I thought we had a couple of big runs. I thought the [offensive] line had a great push at the beginning."

Turner was not happy that the first-team offense had to settle for two field-goal attempts before becoming sideline spectators.

After the first drive stalled, Matt Bryant made a 30-yard field goal to give the Falcons a 3-0 lead. From there, things went downhill artistically.

It was your usual exhibition game with a slew of dropped passes, missed field goals and penalties.

Bryant and Steve Hauschka, who are in a battle for the field-goal-kicking job, both missed long field goals. The Chiefs also missed two field goals in the first half.

Hauschka's 53-yard attempt was low and slammed into the crossbar. Bryant's 50-yard attempt had plenty of distance, but was wide right.

Quarterback Matt Ryan and the offense went into their no-huddle attack on their second possession. They had a promising drive going before it was stopped when Pro Bowl wide receiver Roddy White dropped a screen pass and left tackle Sam Baker jumped offside.

Also, the first-team offense featured Brian Finneran starting for the injured Michael Jenkins.

The first-team defense played strong, but the retooled secondary didn't get much of a test from Kansas City quarterback Matt Cassel.

Defensive end Kroy Biermann came up with a sack and forced a fumble that was recovered by John Abraham.

Early in the second quarter on a third down, the Falcons sent an all-out blitz, and linebacker Curtis Lofton sacked Cassel.

The first-team defense received a scare when defensive end Jamaal Anderson and Lofton went down and needed medical attention. Anderson walked off on his own and Lofton walked off with the help of trainers. Lofton was suffering from leg cramps.

The first-team defense held the Chiefs scoreless on five of six series in the first half. The Chiefs didn't get on the scoreboard until Ryan Succop made a 20-yard field goal at the halftime buzzer to make the score 3-3.

The Falcons' reserves took over in the second half.

Rookie safety Shann Schillinger intercepted a Brodie Croyle pass. Schillinger, a sixth-round pick from Montana, showed some open-field running ability on a 29-yard return to Kansas City's 14.

Five plays later, Dimitri Nance scored on a 2-yard run. Nance, an undrafted rookie free agent from Arizona State, later capped an 18-play, 81-yard drive with a 1-yard touchdown to put the Falcons ahead 17-3.

After a Chevis Jackson interception, Hauschka added a 37-yard field goal to make the score 20-3.

The Falcons, being extra cautious after last season's injury-riddled campaign, elected not to dress 11 players, including cornerback Dunta Robinson, the team's major offseason pickup.

The Falcons should get a stiffer test when they face the New England Patriots at 8 p.m. Thursday at the Georgia Dome.

T-post Tom
08-14-2010, 01:28 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/08/14/matt-ryan-went-into-the-no-huddle-early-vs-chiefs/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

Matt Ryan went into the no-huddle early vs. Chiefs

Quarterback Matt Ryan and the first team offense jumped into the no-huddle on their second possession of the game.

The drive stalled after Roddy White dropped a flanker screen and left tackle Sam Baker jumped offsides. After getting backed up, the offense has to settled for a 53-yard Steven Hauschka field goal attempt that banged into the crossbar.

It was a sign that the Falcons plan to use the no-huddle more as an attack offense this season. Last season they mainly used in a traditional “hurry-up” mode when they were behind.

“I thought we did a pretty good job,” Ryan said. “We tried to run the ball a little bit. We felt like we had some good schemes.”

Ryan converted on two third downs out of the no-huddle, finding Tony Gonzalez both times. They connected for gains of 16 and 12 yards to convert.

“We just need to tighten some things up,” Ryan said. “We were pretty good with our third down conversions. I think we knocked some of the rust off. That’s a thing that you have to get a feel for. I think we made strides.”

One the first drive, the Falcons established running back Michael Turner.

“I thought we were running the ball so successfully on the first drive that we didn’t need to pass it,” Ryan said. “I’ll be the first to tell you that if we run the ball like that.my job gets a lot easier.”

Also, Ryan, who suffered a turf toe injury last season and missed two games and most of one other, looked pretty nimble moving around in the pocket.

“It feels good to be healthy out there and to have my feet underneath me,” Ryan said. “I thought it was a good start.”

Some you have been screaming for more no-huddle and it appears that offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey has heard your pleas.

MIAdragon
08-14-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.stopgettingcheated.com/images/computer-easy-button.jpg

Silock
08-14-2010, 05:55 PM
http://www.stopgettingcheated.com/images/computer-easy-button.jpg

Is that the button that calls your mom?

Oooooooooh! Sick burn!

the Talking Can
08-14-2010, 05:57 PM
“I thought we were running the ball so successfully on the first drive that we didn’t need to pass it,” Ryan said. “I’ll be the first to tell you that if we run the ball like that.my job gets a lot easier.”

all you need to know about our front 7 last night....

MIAdragon
08-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Is that the button that calls your mom?

Oooooooooh! Sick burn!

Only if it calls the dead, asshole.

Silock
08-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Only if it calls the dead, asshole.

Even the dead don't take jokes that seriously!

MIAdragon
08-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Even the dead don't take jokes that seriously!

Dude she's not dead just mess'n, it's all in good fun man!!!

Silock
08-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Good, because that gives me a good excuse to post this pic:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg121/Silock99/aboxzp.jpg