PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sunday in Chiefs camp | Offensive line has rough weekend

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Sunday in Chiefs camp | Offensive line has rough weekend; Lewis' goal is to start; Haley explains decision to defer (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/15/2152125/chiefs-day-in-camp-on-sunday.html)

Offensive line has rough weekend

As if the offensive line wasn’t discouraging enough in Friday night’s exhibition loss at Atlanta, the injury list afterward elicited further questions about how the Chiefs will protect their quarterbacks.

The Chiefs were down to 10 available offensive linemen when training camp resumed Sunday afternoon in St. Joseph. Three linemen — tackle Barry Richardson and guards Darryl Harris and rookie Jon Asamoah — spent the practice either walking around or on a stationary bike. Harris was injured last week, and Richardson and Asamoah were hurt Friday.

The situation at left guard has been rocky through much of camp, with Brian Waters missing part of the first two weeks because of an apparent leg injury.

Coach Todd Haley said Sunday that he wasn’t exactly inspired by the line’s performance Friday.

“Struggled at times,” Haley said. “Across the board up front, there were some good things, but there are some things that we’ve got to be better.”

Lewis’ goal is to start

Kendrick Lewis said Sunday that his goal is to be the Chiefs’ starter at free safety by opening day. He’s off to a good start.

Lewis, a fifth-round pick from Mississippi, has been one of the surprise standouts of training camp. Lewis said he wasn’t intimidated by the atmosphere inside the Georgia Dome in his de facto NFL debut.

“It really wasn’t what everybody makes it out to be,” he said. “I got out there, I was real comfortable. I was real comfortable with the play-calling that coach had us out there doing. I just went out there and played football when it all came down to it.”

Lewis worked with the first-team defense Sunday alongside another rookie, strong safety Eric Berry. Veteran free safety Jon McGraw suffered an unidentified injury during the workout, meaning Lewis could get more chances to earn that starting job.

“Definitely a goal of mine,” he said. “I’m going to work as hard as I can to get it, and hopefully good things come out of it.”

Haley explains decision to defer

Two days after the Chiefs won the coin flip and deferred possession to the second half, Haley said there was strategy in his decision.

“I wanted to put the defense out there, right out of the gate against a pretty good offensive team,” Haley said. “I think they tested us. They were, by no means, vanilla.”

Atlanta gained 55 yards on 10 plays before Matt Bryant kicked a field goal.

What you need to know about…

THE OFFENSE
Dexter McCluster had no shortage of touches Sunday, taking the majority of the carries while lined up at running back and most of the receptions while playing wide receiver. McCluster is listed as a wideout, but it’s becoming clear the rookie will be featured at multiple positions. … At least for one day, veteran Casey Wiegmann appeared to overtake Rudy Niswanger as the team’s No. 1 center. Wiegmann worked with the first team during Sunday’s practice. … With injured tight ends Tony Moeaki and Jake O’Connnell spending the afternoon in the conditioning area, Cody Slate got most of the work alongside Leonard Pope.

THE DEFENSE
Second-year end Tyson Jackson finally had an impressive play during a team drill, getting through the offensive line to stop fullback Tim Castille for a loss. Jackson still worked with the second-team defense during some 11-on-11 drills, although the personnel was mixed during many of those configurations. … Andy Studebaker was with the first-team defense during much of Sunday’s practice, getting work at left outside linebacker in place of veteran Mike Vrabel, who worked primarily with the nickel defense.

INJURY REPORT
In addition to offensive linemen Darryl Harris, Barry Richardson and Jon Asamoah and tight ends Moeaki and O’Connell, the Chiefs’ sent running back Kestahn Moore and safety Jon McGraw to the conditioning area after they apparently were injured during Sunday’s workout.

DAILY BATTLE
Defensive end Alex Magee worked with the third-team defense Sunday, another sign that last year’s third-round pick isn’t improving as the team hoped. Jackson is listed as the Chiefs’ starter at left end, and his backup is listed as Shaun Smith, whose experience is mostly as an interior lineman.

TODAY’S SCHEDULE
The Chiefs will practice at 8:50 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The afternoon practice will be held indoors and will be closed to the public.

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Water is wet

-King-
08-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Do they really have to explain the choice to defer? As soon as the rule was changed allowing coaches to do that, I assume more than half of the coaches choose to defer.

POND_OF_RED
08-16-2010, 02:42 AM
I'm really liking Lewis at free safety. It sure would be nice to watch a game without that fuckstick McGraw running around the field.

the Talking Can
08-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Second-year end Tyson Jackson finally had an impressive play during a team drill...

LMAO

and

:doh!:

and

:huh:

wazu
08-16-2010, 06:48 AM
LMAO

and

and

Hey, it's a start. He had a couple of nice plays Friday night as well. Maybe things are starting to click for the guy.

the Talking Can
08-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Hey, it's a start. He had a couple of nice plays Friday night as well. Maybe things are starting to click for the guy.

he was hot trash on Friday

Renegade
08-16-2010, 06:51 AM
So if they keep mixing up who plays first and who plays second string, do we really even have what would be considered a first string?

Bane
08-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Sunday in Chiefs camp | Offensive line has rough weekend; Lewis' goal is to start; Haley explains decision to defer (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/15/2152125/chiefs-day-in-camp-on-sunday.html)

Offensive line has rough weekend

THE DEFENSE
Second-year end Tyson Jackson finally had an impressive play during a team drill, getting through the offensive line to stop fullback Tim Castille for a loss. Jackson still worked with the second-team defense during some 11-on-11 drills,

ROFL

boogblaster
08-16-2010, 08:24 AM
McGraw is reduced to ST .. he's old and slow .. but prolly good help for the kids ...

raybec 4
08-16-2010, 09:00 AM
McGraw is reduced to ST .. he's old and slow .. but prolly good help for the kids ...

He's good for dropping the kids off at the pool, not much else

Lonewolf Ed
08-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Water is wet

Sure, unless it's below 32 degrees.

Fish
08-16-2010, 10:00 AM
LMAO

and

and

Sad isn't it? A guy we picked 3rd overall finally gets his "first" tackle for loss in training camp...... And it's considered news enough to report....

:banghead: