PDA

View Full Version : Money Easy way to save some money = cancel your home phone but keep the #

Ralphy Boy
08-17-2010, 04:46 PM
and transfer it to a cell phone.

I'm sure some of you have done this and maybe there has been a thread on it before but, for those who don't know, I figured I'd pass this along. Posting it here since most people only go to the Lounge.

A friend of mine used to work for AT&T and I told him I was thinking of getting rid of our home phone and just getting another mobile, so he suggested I call AT&T and have our old home number "ported" to the new mobile phone. Basically you get to keep your old number and don't have to worry about changing your phone number of record with anyone.

Cost of the extra cell phone is $10 a month.
Our old home phone was $46.05 a month with all the features (caller ID, call waiting, long distance) and taxes.

Since a mobile phone has caller ID and voicemail built in, I didn't really lose anything other than the ability to have 3 or 4 different phones throughout the house.

Obviously if you use your home phone a lot then you might not want to do this.

Incidentally while I was talking to the customer service rep I told him I was thinking about cancelling my $33 a month DSL too and he said they are running a special on it for $14.95 a month for the next 12 months.

My total monthly savings should be $54 or about $650 over the next year.

Hopefully a few of you can save some green by doing the same thing.

Oh and your welcome.:D

tyton75
08-17-2010, 04:57 PM
I'll be the dick..

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!!

Ralphy Boy
08-17-2010, 05:12 PM
I'll be the dick..

Naturally.

Bugeater
08-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Actually this is news to me, I thought the portability thing only applied to cell phones. It never occurred to me that I might be able to port my landline # to a cell.

vailpass
08-17-2010, 05:29 PM
I'll be the dick..

:D Haven't used a land line for our personal phones since 2005.

Ralphy Boy
08-17-2010, 05:55 PM

So did you "port" your former land line to a mobile #?

With kids in school I really didn't want to have to change the records there, at doctors offices, our employers, banks and so on.

Half of the conversations we have can now be done or are done by text messages, so we can just shoot a message to the kids for when they get off the bus. "Text me when you get home and clean your rooms"

Most of our phone calls are made on our cell anyway.

Is there any industry that is more lucrative than communications? I'd lump media into that. With AT&T now so heavily into television, we were paying them around $400 a month between our home, DSL, mobiles and television, which is absurd.

vailpass
08-17-2010, 06:01 PM
So did you "port" your former land line to a mobile #?

With kids in school I really didn't want to have to change the records there, at doctors offices, our employers, banks and so on.

Half of the conversations we have can now be done or are done by text messages, so we can just shoot a message to the kids for when they get off the bus. "Text me when you get home and clean your rooms"

Most of our phone calls are made on our cell anyway.

Is there any industry that is more lucrative than communications? I'd lump media into that. With AT&T now so heavily into television, we were paying them around $400 a month between our home, DSL, mobiles and television, which is absurd.

Good on you. Landlines are a paradigm that most people have simply because they are used to them.
We have had our same mobile phone numbers for years and used them for everything anyway so didn't need to port our old land line numbers. Now that I think on it we haven't had a personal land line number since at least 2003.
Why would you need both land and cell?

tmax63
08-17-2010, 06:11 PM
What about those of us who have to drive up on top of a hill nearby to get reception?

58-4ever
08-17-2010, 06:19 PM
People still have land lines?

BWillie
08-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Actually this is news to me, I thought the portability thing only applied to cell phones. It never occurred to me that I might be able to port my landline # to a cell.

Yeah me too, I couldn't even transfer my old cell phone # over to Sprint when I moved here in 2006. For unknown reasons. I feel bad for the poor girl who got my old # 712-251-9929. People were calling her for years and they gave her my phone # a week after I dropped it.

Param
08-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't the easiest way to save $ is to just cancel the land line and add minutes to your cell phone if you need it? Or if you're just dying to add another phone to the house, add a line for $10 bucks or $5 bucks on tmobile?

EDIT: see that my second sentence was answered.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-17-2010, 06:31 PM

It's been longer than that for me. We got a good setup through Sprint with a nice little monthly discount. I have zero use for a home phone, but I do miss the ability to send a traditional fax. It's not worth the difference though, that's for sure.

We've mostly traded our money from a home phone, to the internet. Home phone service, like newspapers, are a dying breed. I wouldn't be surprised at all if within the next 10 years cell phone companies offer triple play packages much the way cable companies do now.

Bane
08-17-2010, 06:34 PM
What are these "land lines" you keep referring to?

Bwana
08-17-2010, 06:38 PM
What are these "land lines" you keep referring to?

The piece of crap Direct TV makes you have, in order to get NFL Sunday ticket. Freaken Dickweeds.

jAZ
08-17-2010, 06:45 PM
If only Google Voice had in-bound portability.

DaFace
08-17-2010, 06:48 PM
The piece of crap Direct TV makes you have, in order to get NFL Sunday ticket. Freaken Dickweeds.

False. Maybe they used to, but I don't have a landline and NFLST works just fine.

Bwana
08-17-2010, 06:51 PM
False. Maybe they used to, but I don't have a landline and NFLST works just fine.

That's not what the dickweeds told me about 3 weeks ago. It seems it's time for another phone call.

Bane
08-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Hmmm.I don't have Direct tv,but I also haven't had a "land line" in almost 10 years either.

DaFace
08-17-2010, 06:56 PM
That's not what the dickweeds told me about 3 weeks ago. It seems it's time for another phone call.

Not entirely sure why they say it's required, but based on this thread...

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10577985

...it seems clear that you can disconnect the land line and have no repercussions whatsoever.

vailpass
08-17-2010, 07:11 PM

I get the ticket from DirecTV every year, never had a land line hooked up.

Bwana
08-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Ok, let me ask you boys this, perhaps I'm thinking about needing it for pay per view movies and ordering MMA with direct TV? I was jawing about all of that crap with them and they claimed I needed it for something. Any thoughts on that cluster?

Goldmember
08-17-2010, 07:21 PM
What is the best and cheapest (free) internet fax service these days?

DaFace
08-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Ok, let me ask you boys this, perhaps I'm thinking about needing it for pay per view movies and ordering MMA with direct TV? I was jawing about all of that crap with them and they claimed I needed it for something. Any thoughts on that cluster?

That's (mostly) true. If you happen to have an easy way to connect it to your internet connection, that can serve as an alternative to a phone line. If you don't have either, though, you'd have to call their PPV number to manually order every time you do any kind of PPV event.

Param
08-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Your cell?

rockymtnchief
08-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Ok, let me ask you boys this, perhaps I'm thinking about needing it for par per view movies and ordering MMA with direct TV? I was jawing about all of that crap with them and they claimed I needed it for something. Any thoughts on that cluster?

I've never plugged mine in and ordered PPV online. Although, I just have the very basic recievers.

Saulbadguy
08-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah, only old farts still have a home phone.

Deberg_1990
08-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Wow..they still do this??

Bwana
08-17-2010, 07:48 PM

From what a few others have posted, you can get around that, but ordering PPV seems to be the foot that kicks one in the nads without a land line. I need to figure out a way to ditch it, because it's useless.

Ralphy Boy
08-17-2010, 07:52 PM
We've mostly traded our money from a home phone, to the internet.

Don't know if your with AT&T but like I said when I called them I got them to lower my internet from $33 a month to $14.95.

Shag
08-17-2010, 07:53 PM

This. Would be so nice...

BWillie
08-17-2010, 07:53 PM
What is the best and cheapest (free) internet fax service these days?

Bump...I've never found a free one. Would like to know as well

Saulbadguy
08-17-2010, 07:59 PM

I had NFL sunday ticket for 2 seasons - I haven't had a landline in years. I can't even remember my last landline #.

Ralphy Boy
08-17-2010, 08:09 PM

We used to have www.myfax.com and paid $10 a month. Not sure what the cost is now. It really only works if you have a scanner for outgoing faxes and sends you an email on incoming faxes.

Goldmember
08-17-2010, 08:12 PM
We used to have www.myfax.com (http://www.myfax.com) and paid $10 a month. Not sure what the cost is now. It really only works if you have a scanner for outgoing faxes and sends you an email on incoming faxes.

Thanks, looks like it's still $10/mo...cheaper than a phone line

Goldmember
08-17-2010, 08:13 PM

eFax was free...years ago

chiefsfan987
08-17-2010, 08:17 PM
People still have land lines?

I do, cell phones are annoying.

jspchief
08-17-2010, 08:24 PM
I think DTV "requires" a landline to get their service, but nothing about the service itself requires a landline. I still get PPV and all, and my receiver hasn't made a call in over 1000 days.

Lzen
08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
I still have a land line. But I have considered getting rid of it for years. I just can't bring myself to do it because I still like the idea of having a home number. Lately, I have been thinking of saving some bucks and doing VOIP. Anyone know anything about Magicjack?

DaFace
08-17-2010, 09:21 PM
I still have a land line. But I have considered getting rid of it for years. I just can't bring myself to do it because I still like the idea of having a home number. Lately, I have been thinking of saving some bucks and doing VOIP. Anyone know anything about Magicjack?

I personally wouldn't recommend Magicjack just because it has to work directly with your computer to work. It pops up ads while you're on the phone, if I understand it correctly. But then, it does cost a lot less than other options.

Lzen
08-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I personally wouldn't recommend Magicjack just because it has to work directly with your computer to work. It pops up ads while you're on the phone, if I understand it correctly. But then, it does cost a lot less than other options.

Yeah, I'm looking at their website and thinking perhaps not. I don't wanna have to have my computer on to make and receive calls. I would like something that I can hook up to my router. Just looked at Vonage. But they can't transfer my phone number. WTF?

DaFace
08-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at their website and thinking perhaps not. I don't wanna have to have my computer on to make and receive calls. I would like something that I can hook up to my router. Just looked at Vonage. But they can't transfer my phone number. WTF?

Really? My brother was able to transfer his. Maybe they only have access to certain exchanges. :shrug:

"Bob" Dobbs
08-17-2010, 09:50 PM
That's (mostly) true. If you happen to have an easy way to connect it to your internet connection, that can serve as an alternative to a phone line. If you don't have either, though, you'd have to call their PPV number to manually order every time you do any kind of PPV event.Dunno about Direct TV, but I've had Dish Network for years, moved twice, and have NEVER had it connected to the landline. I believe you can order PPV thru the dishnetwork.com website. Can't imagine Direct won't let you do that as well.

JoeyChuckles
08-17-2010, 10:06 PM
2004 called. They want their innovative thinking back.

jAZ
08-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Your cell?

Not sure what you mean by that. But I'd roll my land-line number to Google Voice and then roll that to both my wife's and my cell phones.

Then throw on the AT&T 3G MicroCell and ditch my home phone.

Unlimited reception at home with unlimited minutes. And all the calls routed to both are cell phones.

mrbiggz
08-18-2010, 07:43 AM
ooma.com

Hydrae
08-18-2010, 07:49 AM

We use a VOIP set up through T-Mobile that allowed me to still use the house phones and keep the same number. Costs all of $10 a month.

Garcia Bronco
08-18-2010, 07:52 AM
I would do this only if I didn't have young children in the house.

LTL
08-18-2010, 08:00 AM
That's (mostly) true. If you happen to have an easy way to connect it to your internet connection, that can serve as an alternative to a phone line. If you don't have either, though, you'd have to call their PPV number to manually order every time you do any kind of PPV event.

This is what I do, just use the ethernet port in the back of the receiver and connect that way and it's worked fine for me for the 2 years that I have done it. I have never had a phone line hooked into it. I have been able to order PPV and ST has never given me any problems.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Ok, let me ask you boys this, perhaps I'm thinking about needing it for pay per view movies and ordering MMA with direct TV? I was jawing about all of that crap with them and they claimed I needed it for something. Any thoughts on that cluster?http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/cinema

Just log in and order whatever. No phone needed.

Bwana
08-19-2010, 08:28 PM
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/cinema

Just log in and order whatever. No phone needed.

Cool beans, rep.

02-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Yeah, only old farts still have a home phone.Yeah, I'm an old fart.

I'm actually looking into this. They have a free trial going right now so what the hell.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Not entirely sure why they say it's required, but based on this thread...

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10577985

...it seems clear that you can disconnect the land line and have no repercussions whatsoever.

I have a landline but don't have any connected to my Dtv boxes and I had NFL sunday ticket.

R8RFAN
02-12-2011, 05:38 AM
I have never hooked a landline to my directv and I have sunday ticket

Saulbadguy
02-12-2011, 07:37 AM
When I had DirecTV, I never had a landline. I also had sunday ticket.

JD10367
02-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Just what I want: my home phone number forwarded to my cell phone, that way the telemarketers can annoy me all day long by calling my hip instead of ringing an empty house. No thanks.

If you "strip down" your home phone service to almost nothing (no long distance, no call waiting, etc.,.), you can probably get it for around $10-20 anyway. I have the package from my cable company (digital phone, high-speed Internet, cable with 900 channels and HD along with HBO) and when they finally tax and screw me with all the little details it's around $150/month. If I had them take the phone out, it would probably only drop ten bucks, so I don't bother. It's good to have just for businesses (some require one, plus some CC companies need you to activate the card from your home phone) and to make quick local calls (check the bank balance, call the pizza place, etc.,.) without using a daytime phone minute.

DaFace
02-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Just what I want: my home phone number forwarded to my cell phone, that way the telemarketers can annoy me all day long by calling my hip instead of ringing an empty house. No thanks.

For what it's worth, your phone number should end up on the "no no" list for telemarketers fairly quickly after you port it to your cell phone. It's illegal to call a cell phone using an autodialer unless they have a preexisting relationship with you, so companies are required to clean their list against lists of cell phone numbers. I'm sure it'd take a bit for the lists to update, but you really shouldn't get a bunch of telemarketing calls on your cell.

memyselfI
02-12-2011, 09:50 AM
I have TMO@home which runs through my computer and is $10 a month for an actual home phone with all of the features of both a home and cell phone except no limit on minutes and free domestic long distance.

No thanks.

02-12-2011, 01:51 PM
anyone ever try this

www.nettalk.com

It doesn't require your PC to be on.

Mr. Laz
02-12-2011, 02:34 PM
doesn't keeping your landline phone # just encourage spammers to add to your cell minutes?

DaFace
02-12-2011, 03:19 PM
doesn't keeping your landline phone # just encourage spammers to add to your cell minutes?

For what it's worth, your phone number should end up on the "no no" list for telemarketers fairly quickly after you port it to your cell phone. It's illegal to call a cell phone using an autodialer unless they have a preexisting relationship with you, so companies are required to clean their list against lists of cell phone numbers. I'm sure it'd take a bit for the lists to update, but you really shouldn't get a bunch of telemarketing calls on your cell.

Mr. Laz
02-12-2011, 03:48 PM
...:thumb:

jAZ
02-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the bump of this thread because....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NdQmGLjvMGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wouldn't have looked into this again without the bump.

Thanks!

jAZ
02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Doh!

Can a landline be ported at this time?

No, we currently are unable to port landline numbers.

Well, the moving the mobile number to GoogleVoice might be a good thing too. Though read up on it before you do it. It will cancel your existing mobile service immediately, which could slam you with penalties.