PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Joachim Phoenix

Fat Elvis
08-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Is the guy completely batshit crazy or is he pulling an Andy Kaufman?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iiwPDOvVWIc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iiwPDOvVWIc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

gblowfish
08-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Walk Hard!

DMAC
08-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Kick ass.

blaise
08-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Schtick.

Bane
08-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Cocaine is a hell of a drug!
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
08-18-2010, 08:26 AM
I think what he's done in the last couple of years is a voluntary experiment to explore the descent into madness. He's basically just followed his fancy and recorded the whole thing on film.

DMAC
08-18-2010, 08:29 AM
I think what he's done in the last couple of years is a voluntary experiment to explore the descent into madness. He's basically just followed his fancy and recorded the whole thing on film.Yeah...looks very interesting.

Wish it just went straight to streaming Netflix though.

ChiTown
08-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I think what he's done in the last couple of years is a voluntary experiment to explore the descent into madness. He's basically just followed his fancy and recorded the whole thing on film.

I rather enjot it - watching his descent, that is, not mine:)

Frazod
08-18-2010, 08:30 AM
He sure was a giant douche on Letterman. The guy's a talented actor, but whether he's acting like that because he's lost his mind or is just doing it as some twisted expression of living performance art, whatever he's selling, I don't want any.

boogblaster
08-18-2010, 08:34 AM
prolly needs some chill-time ....

MOhillbilly
08-18-2010, 08:34 AM
fuck hollywood. fuck the media.

blaise
08-18-2010, 08:38 AM

That kind of makes it contrived and not madness though, doesn't it? Unless someone he knows said, 'hey man, let me record you because you're messed up.' and he agreed.

NewChief
08-18-2010, 08:44 AM
That kind of makes it contrived and not madness though, doesn't it? Unless someone he knows said, 'hey man, let me record you because you're messed up.' and he agreed.

I agree. Though I think it might be one of those things that he's now gone down the wormhole and climbing back out may be a bit of a problem. Sort of like people I knew who thought it would be interesting to play around with heroin only to find themselves being full on junkies (and oftentimes overdosed and dead) within a few years.

Fat Elvis
08-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Here is the Letterman interview from about a year ago....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AuO75_hJgCQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AuO75_hJgCQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DMAC
08-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I wish I was that nuts. And rich.

What a nice, cush, and clueless life.

Fish
08-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Either way I don't give a fuck.

Iowanian
08-18-2010, 09:17 AM
He looks like he should be wearing white pants and a wolf Tshirt in vegas.

Not at the table, Carlos

FAX
08-18-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm going to jump in on this one (at the risk of going all DaneMcCloud on y'all) ...

When I lived, partied, and almost died in LA, I became friendly with a lot of actors ... some of whom were very well known ... famous-like. I noticed that, when they were deep into a serious role, they sometimes went a little nuts. It's the "method", I think, that screws with their brains. In order to "emote" effectively, they have to reach back into their own pain and pleasure centers to such an extent, that it can be dangerous. I've seen guys get really, really strange ... dissociative, really.

I think that's what's happened to Joaquin.

FAX

chiefsnorth
08-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Boring douche

TRR
08-18-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm going to jump in on this one (at the risk of going all DaneMcCloud on y'all) ...

When I lived, partied, and almost died in LA, I became friendly with a lot of actors ... some of whom were very well known ... famous-like. I noticed that, when they were deep into a serious role, they sometimes went a little nuts. It's the "method", I think, that screws with their brains. In order to "emote" effectively, they have to reach back into their own pain and pleasure centers to such an extent, that it can be dangerous. I've seen guys get really, really strange ... dissociative, really.

FAX

Oh yea? But do you live next to Eva Mendez? That's what's most important...
Posted via Mobile Device

Nzoner
08-18-2010, 10:04 AM

FAX

Among others....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOsJwG86gQc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOsJwG86gQc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Besides the fact that you're not even funny or insightful, who ever said a fucking thing about Eva Mendez?

vailpass
08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
DILLIGAF?

Fish
08-18-2010, 10:18 AM

FAX

You know... I've heard stories like that before. Like the Heath Ledger death. And while I try to be sympathetic for the passion they have, a part of me just has to say "Come on.. seriously, come the fuck on... You're an actor. Your career is based in make-believe entertainment. No one's life is dependent on your success or failure. Quite whining about your silly self-contrived troubles. The "problems" in your life would seem so minor to the majority of the world that you should really just STFU and find a way to enjoy your millions of dollars without involving the rest of society."

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
You know... I've heard stories like that before. Like the Heath Ledger death. And while I try to be sympathetic for the passion they have, a part of me just has to say "Come on.. seriously, come the fuck on... You're an actor. Your career is based in make-believe entertainment. No one's life is dependent on your success or failure. Quite whining about your silly self-contrived troubles. The "problems" in your life would seem so minor to the majority of the world that you should really just STFU and find a way to enjoy your millions of dollars without involving the rest of society."

Sorry dude, this just isn't true. There are people that stake their careers on big budget studio films. If you have a huge flop, it affects everyone, from the producers to the director to the actors to the electricians and the gaffers. If the studio loses a significant amount of money, it affect future productions, which in turn affects the hundreds upon thousands of "support" people who make the films really happen.

Count the number of people listed on the end credits of any feature film. You'd be shocked to learn how those people's lives can be affected by box office failures and piracy (different subject but the end result is the same).

Frazod
08-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Sorry dude, this just isn't true. There are people that stake their careers on big budget studio films. If you have a huge flop, it affects everyone, from the producers to the director to the actors to the electricians and the gaffers. If the studio loses a significant amount of money, it affect future productions, which in turn affects the hundreds upon thousands of "support" people who make the films really happen.

Count the number of people listed on the end credits of any feature film. You'd be shocked to learn how those people's lives can be affected by box office failures and piracy (different subject but the end result is the same).

I think he means the general public outside the industry.

At least the sane ones who don't live and die over what their favorite actors/musicians do/say/think.

Anyone maintaining a candlelit shrine to Joachim Phoenix is crazier than he is.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Anyone maintaining a candlelit shrine to Joachim Phoenix is crazier than he is.

ROFL

Yeah, I'd have to agree.

ROFL

FAX
08-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't drop names, Mr. TRR. Robert De Niro once told me it was classless to do so.

FAX

vailpass
08-18-2010, 11:11 AM
I don't drop names, Mr. TRR. Robert De Niro once told me it was classless to do so.

FAX

:D

FAX
08-18-2010, 11:13 AM
You know... I've heard stories like that before. Like the Heath Ledger death. And while I try to be sympathetic for the passion they have, a part of me just has to say "Come on.. seriously, come the **** on... You're an actor. Your career is based in make-believe entertainment. No one's life is dependent on your success or failure. Quite whining about your silly self-contrived troubles. The "problems" in your life would seem so minor to the majority of the world that you should really just STFU and find a way to enjoy your millions of dollars without involving the rest of society."

Some guys take it all far too seriously, Mr. KC Fish. Look at guys like Mickey Rourke, for example. The "method" is a way to drive yourself friggin' nuts.

That's my impression, anyhow.

FAX

Dylan
08-18-2010, 11:14 AM
he died?

Luke
08-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Maybe it is the beard or the weight gain or both, but the dude reminds me a lot of the last days of the Lizard King. I don't think Joachim is near the actor that Val Kilmer is/was, but he seems to be channeling James Morrison.

Andy Kauffman will be remembered along the same lines as Lenny Bruce, ahead of his time.

Fat Elvis
08-18-2010, 02:08 PM
I personally voted for Kaufman-esque genius, but it isn't too hard to believe that he really did go off the deep end.

Tribal Warfare
08-18-2010, 02:38 PM

I was wondering about this but is Joaquin for real with this new persona or was it a "put on" for Casey Affleck's flick?

jjjayb
08-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Cry me a river. So the hourly union gaffer is affected in what way if a movie bombs? They take his money back? :rolleyes:

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Cry me a river. So the hourly union gaffer is affected in what way if a movie bombs? They take his money back? :rolleyes:

Wow, is this a question or a jab?

If a big budget movie fails, it effect the future. Less films are shot, meaning less work for those professionals. It's a domino effect.

It's really fucking cool of you though to make fun of hard working people.

Fuckface.

jjjayb
09-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Wow, is this a question or a jab?

If a big budget movie fails, it effect the future. Less films are shot, meaning less work for those professionals. It's a domino effect.

It's really ****ing cool of you though to make fun of hard working people.

****face.

I was one of those hard working people on a movie set. Now go back to stroking your own ego.

Simply Red
09-03-2010, 01:08 PM

FAX

Getting paid to NOT be yourself may do that, it'd seem, that; combined w/ several other things.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 01:09 PM
I was one of those hard working people on a movie set. No go back to stroking your own ego.

Imagine that.

Was.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 01:14 PM
What I'd like to know is who in the fuck would be stupid enough to want to play with consciousness to the point of dabbling in heroin?

NewChief
09-03-2010, 01:15 PM
What I'd like to know is who in the **** would be stupid enough to want to play with consciousness to the point of dabbling in heroin?

If you read the right (wrong) books, listen to the right (wrong) music, and hang out in the right (wrong) scene... then the junk can take on a dark, romantic appeal.

Phobia
09-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Cry me a river.

All things considered, this is actually pretty unintentionally funny.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 01:17 PM
If you read the right (wrong) books, listen to the right (wrong) music, and hang out in the right (wrong) scene... then the junk can take on a dark, romantic appeal.

Given both of our professional/academic backgrounds, we'll assume familiarity with the "types" of people who might do this.

Nevertheless, the ones I've seen who've felt any allure to this were always deeply fucked up and lacking in common sense.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM
What I'd like to know is who in the fuck would be stupid enough to want to play with consciousness to the point of dabbling in heroin?

Unfortunately, I know far too many people who've "dabbled".

Some are dead. Others are half-dead. A few other never (thankfully) fell too deep.

I think people that mess with heroin do it to escape pain, whether it's a painful upbringing, a painful relationship or a painful existence.

Some people, despite certain gifts or talents, are never truly happy with themselves, for one reason or another.

In most cases, it's sad to see someone fall and never get out.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Dane,

For clarification, what I was speaking to are academic types (as I'm sure that NewPhin is as well) that enjoy entering altered forms of consciousness for the purposes of using it as a thought experiment, not necessarily the standard person who ends up in drugs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Say No to teh needle, dude!

Donger
09-03-2010, 01:24 PM
I wonder if Leaf knows that what he's doing is a repost?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I wonder if Leaf knows that what he's doing is a repost?

As long as he doesn't end up fluttering from the tree to the ground outside of the Viper Room as his final resting spot, I guess it would only be a partial repost.

Donger
09-03-2010, 01:27 PM
As long as he doesn't end up fluttering from the tree to the ground outside of the Viper Room as his final resting spot, I guess it would only be a partial repost.

I was referring to Andy K, not River.

FAX
09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
When you think about actors who go deep into the "method", there are some pretty crazy guys who have done some pretty crazy things.

De Niro is a great example ... he drove a cab for several months prior to Taxi Driver and lived with guys who worked in the steel mills (again, for months) when he was preparing for The Deer Hunter. And everybody knows what he went through to play his role in Raging Bull.

Christian Bale literally almost starved himself to death (he scared the hell out of everybody) prior to filming The Machinist and, of course, Daniel Day Lewis famously tattooed his own body before The Crucible.

Honestly, the commitment to the "work" is so great among some of these guys that there isn't anything they probably would not do in order to "perfect" a role. Crazy as it seems, when preparing for a role, shooting heroin a few times would not be beyond either imagination or even probability for some of these actors.

FAX

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Which is probably why the profession attracts individuals who are a bit "off".

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Dane,

For clarification, what I was speaking to are academic types (as I'm sure that NewPhin is as well) that enjoy entering altered forms of consciousness for the purposes of using it as a thought experiment, not necessarily the standard person who ends up in drugs.

Ah

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 01:40 PM

River died inside the club, was carried outside and laid on the sidewalk.

FAX
09-03-2010, 01:41 PM
They're not all "off" ... just as not all Planeteers are raving, hyperbolic fools.

FAX

Pants
09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
*burn*

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 01:46 PM
They're not all "off" ... just as not all Planeteers are raving, hyperbolic fools.

FAX

Didn't say all, you passive aggressive broke dick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 01:47 PM

I know. Did anything ever come of the fact that they essentially dumped him?

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I know. Did anything ever come of the fact that they essentially dumped him?

Nope.

It's fucking sad, Man.

Donger
09-03-2010, 01:49 PM

There must be less dramatic ways to get a star on the sidewalk.

Donger
09-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Nope.

It's ****ing sad, Man.

What's sad about it?

mlyonsd
09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
There must be less dramatic ways to get a star on the sidewalk.

bazinga

FAX
09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Didn't say all, you passive aggressive broke dick.

Great name-calling ... did you have to break out the thesaurus again?

As for the "all", the implication was certainly there ... "the profession attracts individuals who are off" ...

Again, please let me (or someone) know what is wrong with you. You reek of insecurity ... the stench of it comes through each and every overly-exaggerated, overstated, and pretentious post you make. If you're ugly as walrus ass, perhaps you could consider self-esteem classes. Alternatively, there is an orthodontist on practically every corner if your mom never introduced you to a dentist.

I don't know what your problem actually is, but if it's as unappealing as your Planet persona, I can see why you might have developed anger issues ... especially when it comes to people unwilling to blindly buy into your constant, overblown, fulsome bullshit.

FAX

Pants
09-03-2010, 02:14 PM

As for the "all", the implication was certainly there ... "the profession attracts individuals who are off" ...

Again, please let me (or someone) know what is wrong with you. You reek of insecurity ... the stench of it comes through each and every overly-exaggerated, overstated, and pretentious post you make. If you're ugly as walrus ass, perhaps you could consider self-esteem classes. Alternatively, there is an orthodontist on practically every corner if your mom never introduced you to a dentist.

I don't know what your problem actually is, but if it's as unappealing as your Planet persona, I can see why you might have developed anger issues ... especially when it comes to people unwilling to blindly buy into your constant, overblown, fulsome bullshit.

FAX

Were you not here for the John Matrix days?

FAX
09-03-2010, 02:17 PM

I missed all that, Mr. Metrolike.

Perhaps before my time, or maybe during one of my longer-term sabbaticals.

Is there something I should know? Because Little Miss Pissypants and her Magical Dictionary needs some help, I'm afraid.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
What's sad about it?

That he was unceremoniously dumped on the sidewalk because the club didn't want to face the aftermath of rampant heroin abuse that was going on inside the club by many of its regulars.

He was in the "basement, VIP" lounge when it happened.

And that's all I'm going to say about this subject.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 02:21 PM

FAX

The amazing thing is how such a small thing can make you so red-assed when you are the one complaining about how overblown I get.

You've always been a hypersensitive pussy, and this isn't the least bit of projection on your own part.

I'm sure you'll have another hangnail, or get your tampon string caught in your zipper, and find another reason to leave for four months.

Brock
09-03-2010, 02:22 PM
That he was unceremoniously dumped on the sidewalk because the club didn't want to face the aftermath of rampant heroin abuse that was going on in the club.

What do you know about the guy who co-owned the place with Depp whose picture is currently on a milk carton?

Donger
09-03-2010, 02:22 PM
That he was unceremoniously dumped on the sidewalk because the club didn't want to face the aftermath of rampant heroin abuse that was going on inside the club by many of its regulars.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but I imagined you imitating Forest Gump when I read that last sentence.

Anyway, I suppose one might consider that to be sad, but I wasn't under the impression that junkies make good decisions to begin with.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 02:24 PM
What do you know about the guy who co-owned the place with Depp whose picture is currently on a milk carton?

No comment

Brock
09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
No comment

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM

That thread is fucking GOLD.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
I know I shouldn't laugh, but I imagined you imitating Forest Gump when I read that last sentence.

Anyway, I suppose one might consider that to be sad, but I wasn't under the impression that junkies make good decisions to begin with.

People do heroin for different reasons. I know quite a few people that could just do heroin out of the blue. They weren't junkies at all. It was just like "Hey, wanna shoot up?" or "Hey, wanna chase the dragon?".

Kind of like doing coke or getting high. Someone not need to be a junkie to do those things.

Donger
09-03-2010, 02:27 PM
People do heroin for different reasons. I know quite a few people that could just do heroin out of the blue. They weren't junkies at all. It was just like "Hey, wanna shoot up?" or "Hey, wanna chase the dragon?".

Kind of like doing coke or getting high. Someone not need to be a junkie to do those things.

You wrote "rampant heroin abuse." That doesn't sound like recreational usage (although I admit that I'm ignorant on the subject).

FAX
09-03-2010, 02:28 PM
The amazing thing is how such a small thing can make you so red-assed when you are the one complaining about how overblown I get.

You've always been a hypersensitive pussy, and this isn't the least bit of projection on your own part.

I'm sure you'll have another hangnail, or get your tampon string caught in your zipper, and find another reason to leave for four months.

ROFL

I didn't say "all"!!!!!

Goddamned broke dick passive aggressive mother ****er !!!!!!!

FAX

DaneMcCloud
LMAO

The fact of the matter is, without name dropping, I knew all of those people at that time. I used to be on the VIP guest list and new the owners, hung out with one of them and have been around some pretty wild shit (other than drinking, I took no part).

I think it's safe to say that what happened that night was criminal, to say the least.

Sweet Daddy Hate

No comment.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 02:29 PM
You wrote "rampant heroin abuse." That doesn't sound like recreational usage (although I admit that I'm ignorant on the subject).

I guess I should have clarified. "Rampant recreational heroin abuse".

teedubya
09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Here is the Letterman interview from about a year ago....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AuO75_hJgCQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AuO75_hJgCQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

OMG, I hadn't seen that... that was hilariously awkward. Awesome. ROFL

Brock
09-03-2010, 02:31 PM
The fact of the matter is, without name dropping, I knew all of those people at that time. I used to be on the VIP guest list and new the owners, hung out with one of them and have been around some pretty wild shit (other than drinking, I took no part).

I think it's safe to say that what happened that night was criminal, to say the least.

It sounds like justice found some of the guilty parties anyway though.

vailpass
09-03-2010, 02:31 PM

If I owned that club I'd have dumped his dead ass outside too. You wouldn't protect yourself and your business the same way?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 02:32 PM
ROFL

I didn't say "all"!!!!!

Goddamned broke dick passive aggressive mother ****er !!!!!!!

FAX

"Raving, hyperbolic fool".

Note the chronology.

Donger
09-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Wait. I can understand why one would dislike Hamas. But, I fail to see why one would dislike FAX.

Donger the Confused.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 02:33 PM
If I owned that club I'd have dumped his dead ass outside too. You wouldn't protect yourself and your business the same way?

Oh boy...

FAX
09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
"Raving, hyperbolic fool".

Note the chronology.

Oh, you thought I was talking about you?

My goodness ... you must be suffering from hypersensitive pussy overload, dude.

God ... you are friggin' Irony Man.

ROFL

FAX

'Hamas' Jenkins
Wasn't that place a drug front long before Depp owned it?

FAX
Wait. I can understand why one would dislike Hamas. But, I fail to see why one would dislike FAX.

Donger the Confused.

I couldn't agree more, Mr. Donger.

It's all very confusing.

FAX

Donger
09-03-2010, 02:35 PM

I was just about to dip my paddle in as well.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Oh, you thought I was talking about you?

My goodness ... you must be suffering from hypersensitive pussy overload, dude.

God ... you are friggin' Irony Man.

ROFL

FAX

Yes, because no "implications", to quote you in this thread, could be drawn.

That's a piss poor attempt.

vailpass
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Donger the Confused.

X10

Rausch
09-03-2010, 02:41 PM

In the course of being a schmuck in a pizza place similar to "Sal's" I've drug my share of OD's to the curb.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
In the course of being a schmuck in a pizza place similar to "Sal's" I've drug my share of OD's to the curb.

This has the beginnings of a great story.

Fansy the Famous Bard
09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
I like you, Mr. Fax.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Mmm...pizza and smack. Good times, good times...

FAX
09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Yes, because no "implications", to quote you in this thread, could be drawn.

That's a piss poor attempt.

I have to disagree there. In fact, I hereby declare you to be the piss poor attempt ... not to mention a faulty post critic, walrus-ass ugly dipshit, and likely misogynistic layabout and ne'er-do-well.

Begone now with your hypersensitive pussy-ass ways before I call you something you will surely regret.

FAX

FAX
09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I like you, Mr. Fax.

Thank you, Mr. Zeke.

High praise, indeed.

FAX THE HUMBLE

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Hell, I wouldn't begrudge anyone for preferring FAX's internet persona to mine. He's generally a cheerful, limerick-filled optimist, with a knack for rhyme, and I'm an acerbic bastard with a bent for asterisk-filtered rants.

That said, there is an old analogy about football teams that not all 53 are going to be best friends. Seems apropos here as well.

58-4ever
09-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Thank you, Mr. Zeke.

High praise, indeed.

FAX THE HUMBLE

On a side note, how does one get 50 million dollars in casino cash? (not that I would even know how to spend it or use it.)

Titty Meat
09-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Whats with the Fax/Hamas beef? Though I will admit the past few weeks it seems Hamas has been upset with me too Fax.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I have to disagree there. In fact, I hereby declare you to be the piss poor attempt ... not to mention a faulty post critic, walrus-ass ugly dipshit, and likely misogynistic layabout and ne'er-do-well.

Begone now with your hypersensitive pussy-ass ways before I call you something you will surely regret.

FAX

FAX, it would be very easy, and perhaps tempting, for me to unload on you with both "barrels" as it were, but for the most part, I feel sorry for you.

No amount of polysyllabic collquialisms in the above post is going to change that.

Pants
09-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I missed all that, Mr. Metrolike.

Perhaps before my time, or maybe during one of my longer-term sabbaticals.

Is there something I should know? Because Little Miss Pissypants and her Magical Dictionary needs some help, I'm afraid.

FAX

It was ol' Hamas going through the CP wringer and getting demolished. Needless to say, he had to come back as someone else at that point in time, as John Matrix simply wasn't going to work any more. He posted pics of himself and everything. I don't judge people based on looks, but if you ever have the time, you can probably read up and go back in time to see that little segment of CP lore for yourself.

There's no question he's an asshole, but at least he's smart and educated, which goes a pretty long way.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Whats with the Fax/Hamas beef? Though I will admit the past few weeks it seems Hamas has been upset with me too Fax.

Hardly, billay. We disagree over Ron Paul and the ass end of the Chiefs roster. I don't recall it ever escalating beyond that.

vailpass
09-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Hell, I wouldn't begrudge anyone for preferring FAX's internet persona to mine. He's generally a cheerful, limerick-filled optimist, with a knack for rhyme, and I'm an acerbic bastard with a bent for asterisk-filtered rants.

That said, there is an old analogy about football teams that not all 53 are going to be best friends. Seems apropos here as well.

Shutup kicker.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Shutup kicker.

The net is always pissed at the kicker for the abuse thrown its way.

Donger
09-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Have you considered that you try too hard?

Titty Meat
It was ol' Hamas going through the CP wringer and getting demolished. Needless to say, he had to come back as someone else at that point in time, as John Matrix simply wasn't going to work any more. He posted pics of himself and everything. I don't judge people based on looks, but if you ever have the time, you can probably read up and go back in time to see that little segment of CP lore for yourself.

There's no question he's an asshole, but at least he's smart and educated, which goes a pretty long way.

Yea but theres no need to dig up pics of people you all made me feel like Sarah Palin :(

'Hamas' Jenkins
Have you considered that you try too hard?

Not really. I have considered upgrading the filter from brain to fingertips, though.

Pants
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Yea but theres no need to dig up pics of people you all made me feel like Sarah Palin :(

Yo, I never made fun of the way you look. I only make fun of your retarded posts. Much like with CoMo though, I've just learned to laugh at the trolling attempts.

FAX
09-03-2010, 02:56 PM
FAX, it would be very easy, and perhaps tempting, for me to unload on you with both "barrels" as it were, but for the most part, I feel sorry for you.

No amount of polysyllabic collquialisms in the above post is going to change that.

Oh, don't play all "passive-aggressive" now ... I've seen you repeat yourself on this board a thousand times ... once more isn't going to matter. Heck, I've even seen you spell colloquialisms correctly.

Although, before you unload your fearsome barrels, I must warn you in advance ... I am prepared to declare you to be one evolutionary step below the bacterial-infested vaginal drippings from a diseased Koala. With accuracy.

On the other hand, perhaps you should save your breath ... so, you know, you can blow up your date.

FAX

FAX
09-03-2010, 03:02 PM
On a side note, how does one get 50 million dollars in casino cash? (not that I would even know how to spend it or use it.)

Based upon your "implication", Mr. 58-4ever, I instantly put 2 and 2 together and surmised that you were talking about me. With that intuitively gleaned knowledge, I entered the casino and saw that number ... I use "at work" mode and don't see those things. Plus, I never go to the casino.

Honestly I literally have no clue or idea how I came into that much casino cash. There has to be mod abuse afoot.

Would you like a few million? Insult Mr. 'Hamas' Jenkins a few times and it's yours.

FAX THE RICH

Titty Meat
09-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Metro I only troll 50% of the time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh, don't play all "passive-aggressive" now ... I've seen you repeat yourself on this board a thousand times ... once more isn't going to matter. Heck, I've even seen you spell colloquialisms correctly.

Although, before you unload your fearsome barrels, I must warn you in advance ... I am prepared to declare you to be one evolutionary step below the bacterial-infested vaginal drippings from a diseased Koala. With accuracy.

On the other hand, perhaps you should save your breath ... so, you know, you can blow up your date.

FAX

Yeah, I know, you're the evolutionary advance from the keyboard of doom.

FAX, I'm not being passive aggressive. Some people on here are assholes (like me). I don't care if people flip shit at me, I'll flip it back. But given some of the shit that you've had happen to you, I'd rather not make it personal.

Donger
09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
This is like Al Capp versus Lennon/Ono Part Two.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 03:16 PM

I disagree. Matrix laid waste to CP Royalty in that thread like Lohan and Hilton enjoying a romp at a dick-farm.

Donger
09-03-2010, 03:17 PM
I disagree. Matrix laid waste to CP Royalty in that thread like Lohan and Hilton enjoying a romp at a dick-farm.

What thread?

Pants
09-03-2010, 03:18 PM

It's been a while but that's not the way I remember it. As always, I could be wrong.

blaise
09-03-2010, 03:19 PM

Did he pretty much say, "Asshat fucking dickbag asshat dive into an AIDS sidewalk and get paralyzed and fuck you you piece of shit douchebag asshat scum fuck asshole fuck"

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 03:19 PM
What thread?

Somewhere deep in the archives.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Did he pretty much say, "Asshat fucking dickbag asshat dive into an AIDS sidewalk and get paralyzed and fuck you you piece of shit douchebag asshat scum fuck asshole fuck"

No, it was more developed than that.

Pants
09-03-2010, 03:22 PM
It was a long time ago, I'm also pretty sure there were more threads than just one. In any case, John Matrix died and out came 'Hamas', albeit a little bit later.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 03:23 PM
It was a long time ago, I'm also pretty sure there were more threads than just one. In any case, John Matrix died and out came 'Hamas', albeit a little bit later.

And we're all richer for it. :D

58-4ever
09-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Based upon your "implication", Mr. 58-4ever, I instantly put 2 and 2 together and surmised that you were talking about me. With that intuitively gleaned knowledge, I entered the casino and saw that number ... I use "at work" mode and don't see those things. Plus, I never go to the casino.

Honestly I literally have no clue or idea how I came into that much casino cash. There has to be mod abuse afoot.

Would you like a few million? Insult Mr. 'Hamas' Jenkins a few times and it's yours.

FAX THE RICH

Although I do think Hamas is compensating for an abnormally small penis, I would not know what to do with all that cash either. :)

Fansy the Famous Bard
09-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I hope you don't mean "Joachim Phoenix richer"...

Pants
09-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Although I do think that Hamas is compensating for an abnormally small penis, I would not know what to do with all that cash either. :)

Micropenis is an actual medical condition and probably shouldn't be made fun of.

FAX
09-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I know, you're the evolutionary advance from the keyboard of doom.

FAX, I'm not being passive aggressive. Some people on here are assholes (like me). I don't care if people flip shit at me, I'll flip it back. But given some of the shit that you've had happen to you, I'd rather not make it personal.

If you have something to say, say it ... that's my philosophy. For example, as time goes by I am becoming increasingly convinced that there is greenish-blue fuzz on your tongue and you post on this board while wearing women's undergarments which you acquire during late night dumpster runs.

Besides, I make neither apologies nor excuses for either my personal behavior or my past. I have led an extremely interesting life and continue to strive for the betterment of myself and mankind as a whole, so let the awesomeness of those dreaded "barrels" ring out, oh Ye of the Thesaurus.

FAX

Donger
09-03-2010, 03:30 PM
If you have something to say, say it ... that's my philosophy. For example, as time goes by I am becoming increasingly convinced that there is greenish-blue fuzz on your tongue and you post on this board while wearing women's undergarments which you acquire during late night dumpster runs.

Besides, I make neither apologies nor excuses for either my personal behavior or my past. I have led an extremely interesting life and continue to strive for the betterment of myself and mankind as a whole, so let the awesomeness of those dreaded "barrels" ring out, oh Ye of the Thesaurus.

FAX

LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 03:38 PM

FAX

FAX,

Just save the time and the post count and air it out. You have an itch for me, scratch it. Just pretend I came back with something about Crohn's disease, your spine, morphine, et. al. I don't really care, and it's obvious you are getting a hell of a lot more worked up over this than I am.

FAX
09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
FAX,

Just save the time and the post count and air it out. You have an itch for me, scratch it. Just pretend I came back with something about Crohn's disease, your spine, morphine, et. al. I don't really care, and it's obvious you are getting a hell of a lot more worked up over this than I am.

Actually, I'm not very worked up at all ... in fact, considering the circumstances, I think I've demonstrated an extraordinary amount of reserve and gracious goodwill.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that, based upon an objective evaluation of your poor manners and clearly deep-seated inferiority complex, you were obviously raised in the forest by feral hamsters and that your favorite foods are fresh ass droppings - preferably those of other hamsters.

FAX

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Actually, I'm not very worked up at all ... in fact, considering the circumstances, I think I've demonstrated an extraordinary amount of reserve and gracious goodwill.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that, based upon an objective evaluation of your poor manners and clearly deep-seated inferiority complex, you were obviously raised in the forest by feral hamsters and that your favorite foods are fresh ass droppings - preferably those of other hamsters.

FAX

If you weren't worked up, you wouldn't be trying to stir shit up with me, and you should know that satire is a difficult form to master, and that your posts are a thin stew.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 04:09 PM
FAX,

It's this simple. I don't often comment in PR/family threads, but I read them. Given the fact that just in the last few years you've had a crippling bout with Crohn's, been hooked on morphine, had your wife diagnosed with a recurrence of cancer, had another friend commit suicide, and broke your spine, I just don't feel comfortable insulting you.

It's like this:

It's easier to bash someone, say a sports figure, when you don't see them in the locker room all the time and how they are dejected and crushed after losses, or how much pain their body is in. It's an altogether different matter when you get to know that person a little bit.

You aren't some anonymous jackass like Buster Hymen, challenging everyone from Dane McCloud the Highlander himself to a fight. You've aired a lot of your personal grievances out here, and I'm willing to bet that most know far more about your everyday life than they do the average planeteer. And given the fact that you've experienced a great deal of hardship, and that the tenor of your posts has changed markedly over the last year or so (I think I remember noting this to you once before), it leads me to believe, perhaps erroneously, that you are in a dark place.

It is my perception that you are a sensitive sort who takes a lot of the things on here to heart. I even recall hearing a story (perhaps apocryphal) that you left over a neg rep for some period of time.

Given all of that information, or perhaps lack thereof if I have misread something, I'm content to let you wail away without the return fire that you want.

Donger
09-03-2010, 05:20 PM
FAX,

It's this simple. I don't often comment in PR/family threads, but I read them. Given the fact that just in the last few years you've had a crippling bout with Crohn's, been hooked on morphine, had your wife diagnosed with a recurrence of cancer, had another friend commit suicide, and broke your spine, I just don't feel comfortable insulting you.

It's like this:

It's easier to bash someone, say a sports figure, when you don't see them in the locker room all the time and how they are dejected and crushed after losses, or how much pain their body is in. It's an altogether different matter when you get to know that person a little bit.

You aren't some anonymous jackass like Buster Hymen, challenging everyone from Dane McCloud the Highlander himself to a fight. You've aired a lot of your personal grievances out here, and I'm willing to bet that most know far more about your everyday life than they do the average planeteer. And given the fact that you've experienced a great deal of hardship, and that the tenor of your posts has changed markedly over the last year or so (I think I remember noting this to you once before), it leads me to believe, perhaps erroneously, that you are in a dark place.

It is my perception that you are a sensitive sort who takes a lot of the things on here to heart. I even recall hearing a story (perhaps apocryphal) that you left over a neg rep for some period of time.

Given all of that information, or perhaps lack thereof if I have misread something, I'm content to let you wail away without the return fire that you want.

Isn't "broke dick" both an insult and personal?

Fat Elvis
09-03-2010, 05:26 PM

He gave it to me, and I gave it back to him,

Fat Elvis
09-03-2010, 05:36 PM

There was an election; the casino cash was "bribe money," if I remember correctly, that was to be divied up between the voters of the winning candidate. FAX was originally given the money to hold because everyone trusted him (and still do). After the election, and right before the money was to be divied up, FAX gave the cash to me, but I didn't want to figure out who was supposed to get what so I gave it all back to FAX. Unfortunately, he was gone for a while, and when he came back he apparently (as we've found out in this thread) didn't have the forum skin on that alerted him to his vast sums of dough. I can't quite recall who the candidates were; I'm thinking Jim, UP, BigDaddy, and someone else were running for various offices.

58-4ever
09-03-2010, 05:36 PM

That is incredibly generous. :clap: At least you got the free drinks.

58-4ever
09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
There was an election; the casino cash was "bribe money" if I remember correctly that was to be divied up between the voters of the winning candidate. FAX was originally given the money to hold because everyone trusted him (and still do). After the election, and right before the money was to be divied up, FAX gave the cash to me, but I didn't want to figure out who was supposed to get what so I gave it all back to FAX. Unfortunately, he was gone for a while, and when he came back he apparently (as we've found out in this thread) didn't have the forum skin on that alerted him to his vast sums of dough. I can't quite recall who the candidates were; I'm thinking Jim, UP, BigDaddy, and someone else were running for various offices.

Ah! I vaguely remember this... I think.

FAX
09-03-2010, 05:44 PM
There was an election; the casino cash was "bribe money," if I remember correctly, that was to be divied up between the voters of the winning candidate. FAX was originally given the money to hold because everyone trusted him (and still do). After the election, and right before the money was to be divied up, FAX gave the cash to me, but I didn't want to figure out who was supposed to get what so I gave it all back to FAX. Unfortunately, he was gone for a while, and when he came back he apparently (as we've found out in this thread) didn't have the forum skin on that alerted him to his vast sums of dough. I can't quite recall who the candidates were; I'm thinking Jim, UP, BigDaddy, and someone else were running for various offices.

Is that where it came from?

Wow ... I thought we had already divided the money ... plus, I honestly don't think we raised 50 million on that deal ... maybe we did.

Anyhow, we need to get this taken care of pronto ... I had totally forgotten about this. I'll see if I can find the sign up thread ...

FAX

FAX
09-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Isn't "broke dick" both an insult and personal?

Nah ... for him, that's a compliment.

Look, Mr. 'Hamas' Jenkins, it is clear that you are an astonishingly and, frankly, extraordinarily rude person who has no class I can make out, no manners, and no self-esteem. I'm sorry about that, but it is what it is. Heck, Mr. GoChiefs and Mr. ROR view your posts are humorous and, for that alone, you should probably be taken out back and dunked repeatedly in rancid skunk piss.

In the general interest of humanity, I've decided to take it upon myself to call you on your ill-mannered, low-bred, presumptuous, loudmouthed bullshit. Now, you can blame that on my Crohn's, my back surgery, the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX, or the festering sores on your overused sphincter ... I don't really care.

Merely because I don't post limericks as often as I once did does not mean I have changed. I haven't. I am merely fed up with your arrogant, insolent, and highly audacious attitude toward other posters who have neither done you harm nor caused you offense. I, therefore, hereby appoint myself to asseverate and bear witness, as necessary, to the fact that you regularly behave like a certified dickweed.

Meanwhile, please don't concern yourself with my problems. I believe you have enough of your own.

FAX

jjjayb
09-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Imagine that.

Was.

Yes. Was. And decided I didn't like being around a bunch of hollywood douchebags all day. But lo and behold, I still get to listen to you all the way out here in Kansas.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Yes. Was. And decided I didn't like being around a bunch of hollywood douchebags all day. But lo and behold, I still get to listen to you all the way out here in Kansas.

Aren't you lucky

Lonewolf Ed
09-03-2010, 06:26 PM
On a different note... FAX, since you've seen firsthand how some of these actors lose it for their art, how then can they come back to reality or at least to where they were before the descent into madness? Is it simply backtracking the process, or is it more like falling off a cliff so that going in reverse is not a possibility?

blaise
09-03-2010, 06:30 PM
On a different note... FAX, since you've seen firsthand how some of these actors lose it for their art, how then can they come back to reality or at least to where they were before the descent into madness? Is it simply backtracking the process, or is it more like falling off a cliff so that going in reverse is not a possibility?

I don't have personal experience, but I would think that absorbing yourself in a new role would sort of help you reset your brain, or at least give it some focus.

FAX
09-03-2010, 06:36 PM

I just checked the original thread, Mr. Fat Elvis, and the total amount raised in that aborted effort to actually put democracy to work was (according to the OP) $20939 plus an additional $999,999 from Mr. Phobia, I think.

The OP also lists all the people who participated, so the distribution of funds should be fairly easy (are you sure we haven't already done this?). Anyhow, the cool thing is that the money must have multiplied somehow. We're all millionaires, now.

Assuming that a mod doesn't take it all back, I'll begin the distributions later tonight ... the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX is calling my name at the moment.

FAX

teedubya
09-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Yeah, Hamas is a douche. Thread over.

FAX
09-03-2010, 06:48 PM

I don't know that some of them ever come "completely" back from some roles, Mr. Lonewolf Ed. There's the rub ... I mean, part of the idea is to bring the character to life by pulling from your own, very deep-seated pain and pleasure reserves ... it's like serious therapy with no actual, licensed, experienced therapist controlling the process.

I knew one film actor, for example, who never really returned to "normal" ... at least so long as I knew him ... he did, however, succumb to one hell of a lot of recreational drug and alcohol abuse after filming concluded. At the time, that was pretty unusual behavior for him ... and kind of scary for his family and friends. The thing is, I've seen musicians to almost the same thing.

It's actually difficult to talk about without discussing specific individuals which I am very hesitant to do ... I don't want to appear as though I'm posturing.

FAX

Donger
09-03-2010, 06:54 PM

Look, Mr. 'Hamas' Jenkins, it is clear that you are an astonishingly and, frankly, extraordinarily rude person who has no class I can make out, no manners, and no self-esteem. I'm sorry about that, but it is what it is. Heck, Mr. GoChiefs and Mr. ROR view your posts are humorous and, for that alone, you should probably be taken out back and dunked repeatedly in rancid skunk piss.

In the general interest of humanity, I've decided to take it upon myself to call you on your ill-mannered, low-bred, presumptuous, loudmouthed bullshit. Now, you can blame that on my Crohn's, my back surgery, the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX, or the festering sores on your overused sphincter ... I don't really care.

Merely because I don't post limericks as often as I once did does not mean I have changed. I haven't. I am merely fed up with your arrogant, insolent, and highly audacious attitude toward other posters who have neither done you harm nor caused you offense. I, therefore, hereby appoint myself to asseverate and bear witness, as necessary, to the fact that you regularly behave like a certified dickweed.

Meanwhile, please don't concern yourself with my problems. I believe you have enough of your own.

FAX

My guess is that he is not nearly as acerbic as he tries to be here. Some here probably find that appealing and he feeds off of that,

kysirsoze
09-03-2010, 06:58 PM

This whole line of reasoning is pretty faulty. Yes, acting affects your mood and can spill over into your regular life, but an actor that lets it go beyond that has serious emotional problems that likely do not stem from their work.

Most of the time this is blown completely out of proportion. Anyone who worked with Heath Ledger on Dark Knight will tell you that it was not the role of the Joker that drove him to pills. In between takes he was friendly and talkative, showing people pictures of his kids, discussing the next shot, etc. On his off days he would come by on his skateboard and watch them film other scenes cause he loved the film making process so much. What killed Ledger is taking the wrong pills together and in too much abundance. Not acting.

People have played much darker roles than the Joker on stage (which is far more immersive) for a much, much longer period of time and came out fine. This is a case of clear sensationalism.

kysirsoze
09-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't know that some of them ever come "completely" back from some roles, Mr. Lonewolf Ed. There's the rub ... I mean, part of the idea is to bring the character to life by pulling from your own, very deep-seated pain and pleasure reserves ... it's like serious therapy with no actual, licensed, experienced therapist controlling the process.

I knew one film actor, for example, who never really returned to "normal" ... at least so long as I knew him ... he did, however, succumb to one hell of a lot of recreational drug and alcohol abuse after filming concluded. At the time, that was pretty unusual behavior for him ... and kind of scary for his family and friends. The thing is, I've seen musicians to almost the same thing.

It's actually difficult to talk about without discussing specific individuals which I am very hesitant to do ... I don't want to appear as though I'm posturing.

FAX

I obviously don't know your friend, but I would imagine if a role brought out issues that changed him so deeply, those issues would have likely found their way out with or without acting. I'm no psychologist, but I am an actor and know many other actors. Just my opinion.

FAX
09-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Well, I've distributed a lot of the cash ... several problems, though.

1) Mr. Bwana and Mr. Bugeater are not receiving PMs and cannot, therefore, receive casino cash, apparently. At least that was the system message.

2) Mr. SEKChiefsFan and Mr. pestilenceaf23 are no longer recognized by the system.

Is Mr. pestilenceaf23 now Mr. Pestilence? And who is Mr. SEKChiefsFan?

FAX

FAX
09-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I obviously don't know your friend, but I would imagine if a role brought out issues that changed him so deeply, those issues would have likely found their way out with or without acting. I'm no psychologist, but I am an actor and know many other actors. Just my opinion.

I can only tell you what I've experienced, Mr. kysirsoze.

With all respect, if you don't believe that actors can and will immerse themselves to a sometimes drastic extent in their roles, think about guys like Roarke or Bale or Daniel Day Lewis who literally lived like a wild man in the forest for 6 months before filming the Last of the Mohicans. It may not be "acting" as you know it, but some of these guys go very far indeed to explore the character and do their "work".

FAX

kysirsoze
09-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I can only tell you what I've experienced, Mr. kysirsoze.

With all respect, if you don't believe that actors can and will immerse themselves to a sometimes drastic extent in their roles, think about guys like Roarke or Bale or Daniel Day Lewis who literally lived like a wild man in the forest for 6 months before filming the Last of the Mohicans. It may not be "acting" as you know it, but some of these guys go very far indeed to explore the character and do their "work".

FAX

That's all true, but it is my opinion that these guys would have just as good of work without all of that. It's their prerogative to do whatever they like with their free time, but I don't consider it acting. For example, Michael Caine is a great actor and by all accounts he is a relatively normal person. Pretty grounded in reality. Daniel Day Lewis, to use your example, is a little crazy. A fantastic actor, but crazy. And I don't think one had to do with the other. Sort of like being dyslexic doesn't make you a better plumber.

FAX
09-03-2010, 07:57 PM
That's all true, but it is my opinion that these guys would have just as good of work without all of that. It's their prerogative to do whatever they like with their free time, but I don't consider it acting. For example, Michael Caine is a great actor and by all accounts he is a relatively normal person. Pretty grounded in reality. Daniel Day Lewis, to use your example, is a little crazy. A fantastic actor, but crazy. And I don't think one had to do with the other. Sort of like being dyslexic doesn't make you a better plumber.

I don't disagree, Mr. kysirsoze ... at all.

I have not made the argument that "acting" requires the "Method". Nor have I claimed that all actors are Method actors. Heck, some of the best actors the world has ever seen existed before the "Method" was even conceived.

What I have said (and I stand by the statement) is that some actors go so deep and so far into their character that they touch aspects of their psyche that make it difficult for them to return to planet Earth. I don't necessarily approve of the concept. Frankly, I don't think about it much.

It's funny though. People in the "business" are treated like mere meat products sometimes ... just the other day my sister and I had a phone conversation in which she reminded me that my manager once said, "Hey, great job on that song, you obviously got a new girlfriend. Now you need to break up so you can write another one that's even better." We would all do well to never underestimate the power of greed.

FAX

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 07:57 PM

FAX

I view some of your posts as humorous too. What do I get for that?

FAX
09-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I view some of your posts as humorous too. What do I get for that?

I think you get a cookie and I get taken out back and dunked repeatedly in rancid skunk piss.

FAX

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I think you get a cookie and I get taken out back and dunked repeatedly in rancid skunk piss.

FAX

Do I get to choose the cookie? If so, chunky Chips Ahoy please.

Fat Elvis
09-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Looks like it was fake.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz-log-casey-affleck-hoax.html

Tribal Warfare
09-16-2010, 11:04 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PBoGNBSLYRY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PBoGNBSLYRY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

watch the end of the interview when he turned his back to the audience and took off his glasses it was like he gave Letterman a wink "gotcha ya".

Phobia
09-16-2010, 11:21 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PBoGNBSLYRY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PBoGNBSLYRY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

watch the end of the interview when he turned his back to the audience and took off his glasses it was like he gave Letterman a wink "gotcha ya".

Or maybe, he took out a glass eye and stored it in his sphincter overnight.

KcMizzou
09-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Yeah, it's fake.. but still, he's obviously bat-shit crazy. He had a good career as an actor. Pissed away a couple years doing... this?

How else can you explain it?

It's like he was trying to be a serious version of Borat.

blaise
09-17-2010, 07:56 AM
If you're going to do a Borat or Andy Kauffman thing I think it should at least be entertaining. I don't see much value in faking it just so people think you're a kook. There's no point to it, no comedy in it, so in the end it's just some guy acting like an ass.

Groves
09-17-2010, 08:39 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11344198

Chiefnj2
09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
If you're going to do a Borat or Andy Kauffman thing I think it should at least be entertaining. I don't see much value in faking it just so people think you're a kook. There's no point to it, no comedy in it, so in the end it's just some guy acting like an ass.

Because there is a generation of people who don't remember or know who Andy Kauffman was/is. Hollywood is rarely original, so why not try to do something "outrageous" and copy Kauffman? Sadly for them, it isn't entertaining in the least bit.

NewChief
09-17-2010, 08:59 AM
I think this is a pretty good perspective on it. The whole fake/staged/real/insane question is sort of missing the point:

FRIDAY, SEP 10, 2010 15:01 ET
Joaquin Phoenix's fascinating performance art
People are debating whether his "I'm Still Here" meltdown is fact or fiction -- but they're missing the point
BY MATT ZOLLER SEITZ

Joaquin Phoenix
When we watch Joaquin Phoenix, actor turned wannabe-rap star, mumbling and stumbling through "I'm Still Here," with his skid-row-rabbi grooming, beer belly and Roy Orbison shades, are we seeing evidence of a breakdown, or "evidence" of a "breakdown"? Is "I'm Still Here" a documentary, or a "documentary," or a YouTube-era hybrid that resides somewhere within the pop culture continuum that produced other fact/fiction works -- stuff like "The Osbournes," "I'm With Busey," "The Jersey Shore," "Exit Through the Gift Shop," and roughly a third of Steven Soderbergh's filmography? Is Joaquin Phoenix insane? And if so, is the movie's director, Phoenix's pal Casey Affleck, exploiting him? If this is a nonfiction film, why does it have a "written by" credit at the end, and why is there a cast list?

When people talk about "I'm Still Here," these are the questions they fixate on. I humbly submit that they're the wrong questions. Here's another: What is the movie saying, and how is it saying it?

"I'm Still Here" is a performance art piece, an existential showbiz drama, a therapeutic exercise, an analysis of celebrity's impact on the self, and a glorified home movie. Sometimes it focuses on one of those aspects with precision and poignancy. Other times the aspects collide and cancel each other out. Still other times the entire project just seems to implode like the house at the end of "Poltergeist," crumbling and burning as it gets sucked into its star's navel. And then, against all odds, it rallies and becomes funny, grotesque or sad, and all of a sudden you give a damn again.

The "I" in "I'm Still Here" is Joaquin Phoenix. He's the Golden Globe-winning star of "Walk the Line," a method actor, a boozer, a pothead and one of many kids raised in a family of counterculture performers. His older brother was River Phoenix, who died of a drug overdose in 1993 and whose presence hangs over the movie even though no one ever says his name. (There's a brief video clip of River, Joaquin and their siblings performing a song together as kids, but River isn't identified.) The movie follows Phoenix's sudden retirement (or "retirement" -- funny how skeptical quotes keep finding their way into plot summaries) and his attempts to master a new field, hip-hop. Phoenix is a terrible rapper -- because he doesn't work that hard at it, or because he doesn't have the talent for rapping that he does for acting, or simply because he's been acting most of his life and apparently just started rapping recently. Whatever the explanation, compared to this goofball, Warren Beatty's Bulworth is Jay-Z. When he delivers his rhymes, he sounds like a man trying to recite the Gettysburg address through a mouthful of mashed potatoes. ("This is hard," he admits to a DJ during a nightclub appearance. "Can you stop a second?")

The press, his friends and his management team all think he's losing his mind, and maybe he is. His belly is swollen, his skin pasty and blotchy, his hair matted, and his beard is so big and tangled that I half-expected a flock of animated birds to fly out of it and sing backup. He snarls at his friends, drinks alcohol like water, snorts coke off tabletops (and in one scene, off a hooker's tit) and orders guys in his entourage to strip and show their penises to the camera (they oblige). He accuses old, dear friends of betraying him by peddling scraps of information to the tabloid press. He holds forth on music, acting and identity. People listen to his blather and absorb his abuse because he's Joaquin Phoenix -- and the hint of a self-mocking sneer on his lips confirms that he knows precisely what they think of him, and what the viewer thinks. Absurd as all this is, however, the spectacle of Phoenix flushing his acting career down the toilet is no lark. "This is not a joke," he keeps telling people, and he's right -- it's not. This is prolonged, intentional self-sabotage, and whether he intended it as a real statement or a gambit to create raw footage for this project is of little consequence.

Which brings us to the point in this article where I quit humoring people who want to know if it's "real" or not. It is, it isn't -- and so what? These are distinctions without differences, and when we fixate on them to the exclusion of what's onscreen, we substitute parlor games for engagement with an artist's self-expression, and waste energy pondering a question that's ultimately as unrewarding as, "Is professional wrestling fake?" or "When Andy Kaufman did his Man from Hollywood character, was it a put-on, or did he truly hate his audience?" What ultimately matters is the material, the show.

The show in "I'm Still Here" (the film's title ironically echoing that of the Bob Dylan biopic "I'm Not There") is a meltdown, a self-destruction, a systematic dismantling of a public identity and set of achievements that a grown man worked decades to amass. Whether every scene in the movie is totally spontaneous or if certain scenes are scripted, rehearsed and blocked like skits is unimportant. The movie exists, the images are available for all to see, and the portrait it paints of Joaquin Phoenix is strong stuff. Phoenix's meltdown is funny and pathetic and deeply self-absorbed -- practically a textbook example of the Comedy of Embarrassment, a subgenre mastered by the early Albert Brooks, Larry David and Lisa Kudrow in the underrated HBO showbiz satire "The Comeback." Whether his career meltdown comes from a true and deep psychic disturbance or an actor's need to flout industry protocol and playact the role of rebel, he's still defacing the mass of experiences and accomplishments that are collectively known as his career. The sense of self-loathing that radiates from the screen is unusual and unsettling. This is a self-portrait of a man who thinks himself unworthy of his artistic success, his wealth, perhaps his right to be alive. He thinks himself a fraud, an empty shell. At times he seems to fear he is already a fictional character pretending to be real, and if that's the case, the "I'm a rapper now" business just makes the deception official.

Every story has to be constructed from some sort of raw material, and in this case the material comes from life. Whatever happens, the filmmaker has to embrace it and welcome it into the story, whether it's the media reporting that Phoenix was just pulling a huge prank, or David Letterman destroying the last shreds of Phoenix's mystique, or rapper-producer-entrepreneur Sean Combs, the actor's first choice as Svengali, posing a devastating rhetorical question to Phoenix on camera: "When you go make a movie, do you come into the shit disrespectfully?" (The implication is that Phoenix is disrespecting hip-hop by treating it as a skill set that he can master without much effort. Combs' fears are well-founded -- and the scenes where Phoenix admits it are mortifying.)

Throughout, Phoenix (and Affleck) seem aware that what they're doing isn't really all that risky -- that no matter how far down the ladder of fame Phoenix falls, he can always stop futzing around, return to acting and enact the familiar "down-and-out actor makes a triumphant comeback" narrative. Yet this awareness seems only to increase Phoenix's self-contempt. The film's many-layered portrait of life inside the celebrity bubble includes an acknowledgment that famous people do this sort of thing all the time -- embark on grand artistic or personal experiments knowing that if they fail, they can always go back to whatever they were doing before, a luxury most civilians cannot afford. (At one point Phoenix has to face the possibility that he'll have to return to acting to avoid losing his house -- but it's not as if he's going to end up on the street; that house probably isn't even his only one.)

My pet theory is that this whole misadventure was a half-valiant, half-stupid attempt to reboot Phoenix's art, his life, everything -- and by rebooting it, exert control over it. The lesson that emerges is applicable to life beyond the celebrity bubble: you can't control the world, and you certainly can't treat life as if it were a movie and your friends as if they were supporting characters in your private drama. You have to commit fully to whatever you're doing and treat your loved ones with decency, otherwise the edifice you've built will collapse and trap you beneath the wreckage. (The scene where Phoenix confronts a betrayer in his midst is as painful as it is comical. "This is the moment where the fuckin' good guy wins!" the hero crows, and man, is he ever wrong.)

"I'm Still Here" shows Phoenix creating a different prison to replace the one he felt he was trapped in. He turned his life upside down and dropped it on the sidewalk, and he didn't really have a plan, much less a back-up plan. The whole movie reminded me of a recent conversation with an old college buddy about teaching kids how to play chess. He told me, "The most important rule of chess is, unless you're absolutely sure that you're making a good move, don't take your hand off the piece." Sean Combs -- who responds to the hero's question about how much money he'd need to produce his debut album with, "How much have you got?" -- is this movie's Bobby Fischer. My first-grader could checkmate Joaquin Phoenix, and I adore the man for letting us see that.

Matt Zoller Seitz is a freelance critic and film editor. He has written for the New York Times, New York Press and other publications. His video essays on films and filmmakers appear regularly on the website of The L Magazine.

Bob Dole
09-17-2010, 09:52 AM
It's funny though. People in the "business" are treated like mere meat products sometimes ... just the other day my sister and I had a phone conversation in which she reminded me that my manager once said, "Hey, great job on that song, you obviously got a new girlfriend. Now you need to break up so you can write another one that's even better." We would all do well to never underestimate the power of greed.

FAX

QFT.

stevieray
09-17-2010, 07:48 PM

FAX
That's gonna leave a mark.

/Tommy Callahan
Sandusky, Ohio

BigRedChief
09-17-2010, 08:05 PM

FAX
http://www.forumspile.com/OMFG-Argh.jpg

Brianfo
09-17-2010, 08:18 PM
My opinion=Fax=awesome Hamas=Rat Shit. I wish he would pick a different team to root for. Hamas is a fukwod! Not that anyone asked my opinion.