PDA

View Full Version : Football Orton Gets A One Year Extension

Stinger
08-19-2010, 09:08 PM
The Broncos on Thursday signed Kyle Orton to a contract extension

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Head Coach Josh McDaniels said Kyle Orton handled competition in the offseason like a professional, earning the starting quarterback job.

On Thursday, the signal caller got a little more job security, as the Broncos signed Orton to a contract extension.

"I am excited to announce that we have agreed on an extension of Kyle Orton’s contract," McDaniels said. "His leadership and knowledge of the offense have enabled him to have a solid offseason and training camp, and we are collectively looking forward to the 2010 season."

In the team's first preseason game in 2010, Orton led the team on two touchdown drives against the Bengals in the first quarter, finishing 8-for-13 for 84 yards with two touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 119.9.

That performance came on the heels of the best statistical season of his career in 2009.

"I really enjoy playing for the Denver Broncos as well as being part of this organization and this community," said Orton, whose 29-19 career record as a starting quarterback ranks eighth in the NFL among active players. "This is the place that my wife and I definitely want to be. Considering the labor environment, I’m aware of how difficult it was to get this deal done and am extremely appreciative of all of the hard work and support from (General Manager) Brian Xanders and Coach McDaniels during this process."

Last season, Orton -- a team captain -- played all 16 games with 15 starts for the Broncos, setting career highs for pass attempts, completions, passing yards, touchdowns pases and passer rating while tying his career low for interceptions.

He completed 336-of-541 passes -- a completion percentage of 62.1 -- for 3,802 yards with 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions for an 86.8 passer rating. It was the sixth-most passing yards for a season in team history, and he tied a club record -- alongside John Elway -- with 10 games with a passer rating of at least 90.0 that tied for fifth in the NFL for the year. His 2.2 interception percentage ranked third in team history and sixth in the NFL for the 2009 season.

In his five seasons in the NFL, Orton has thrown for 9,121 yards and 51 touchdowns.

"I’m eager to get this season started and will do whatever I can to help this team be successful," Orton said.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Orton-Earns-Contract-Extension/45bfadba-f0b3-4f8d-8f72-c4b86a7babe9

BigMeatballDave
08-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I would laugh, but I just remembered our Qb is worse.

Bwana
08-19-2010, 09:14 PM
It would seem the Donks and their fans are the ones who got the Extension.

Hammock Parties
08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
http://www.zap2it.com/media/photo/2009-02/45295873.jpg

Quesadilla Joe
08-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Bump for the mornin foks

Bane
08-20-2010, 05:49 AM
That's great Knowshit.He's definitely the best QB Dungver can hope for anytime soon.I bet God McAngels is so proud.
Posted via Mobile Device

LaChapelle
08-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Quinn mus be alergic to Joshie's magical QB dust

Mile High Mania
08-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Quinn just really doesn't appear to understand football... Orton is solid and at some point soon, Tebow will likely leapfrog Quinn to the #2 role. Either way, if Orton gets hurt, they are SOL this season.

blaise
08-20-2010, 06:12 AM
Wow, I thought the "bump for the mornin folks" was somebody doing it so the Broncos could be ridiculed.
Then I realized it was KnowMo, who for some reason is proud of this. Congrats on your locking up of Kyle Orton. Wouldn't want to let him get away.

blaise
08-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Quinn mus be alergic to Joshie's magical QB dust

It's all part of McDaniel's master plan. He'll have the Broncos go 8-8 for several years, lull the entire NFL to sleep, and then unleash his genius on the unsuspecting NFL, catapulting the Broncos to a 10-6 Wild Card birth.

Bane
08-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Wow, I thought the "bump for the mornin folks" was somebody doing it so the Broncos could be ridiculed.
Then I realized it was KnowMo, who for some reason is proud of this. Congrats on your locking up of Kyle Orton. Wouldn't want to let him get away.

Oh well let the kid enjoy it.He's already handed the donks the AFCW,10 wins,and damn near the SB so let the kid dream.Rofl!
Posted via Mobile Device

blaise
08-20-2010, 06:38 AM
"We locked up Kyle Orton! Suck on that, the rest of the NFL! Kyle Orton! Anyone? We got Kyle Orton here, all locked up. Hello? Why are you laughing? Why are all those people laughing?"

Bane
08-20-2010, 06:45 AM
"We locked up Kyle Orton! Suck on that, the rest of the NFL! Kyle Orton! Anyone? We got Kyle Orton here, all locked up. Hello? Why are you laughing? Why are all those people laughing?"

Bullshit KC.Kyle"HOF"Orton is buckets of awesome and you know it. /Knowshit
Posted via Mobile Device

Mile High Mania
08-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Enh, it's just a 1 year deal and it's not crazy money... pays him in line with his production.

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Can we have Quinn? I'd take him over Cassel. I know suck is still suck, but Quinn oozes less suckage.

The Franchise
08-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Enh, it's just a 1 year deal and it's not crazy money... pays him in line with his production.

For those scoring at home, Kyle Orton's one-year extension for 2011 is for $9 million. His two-year total now will be over $12 million.

:spock:

$9 million dollars in 2011 is in line with his production?

Rooster
08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Can we have Quinn? I'd take him over Cassel. I know suck is still suck, but Quinn oozes less suckage.

He was Weis's boy at ND. Stranger things have happened.

Skyy God
08-20-2010, 10:31 AM

Anyone who suggests Quinn is superior to Cassel at anything other than taking vaguely gay pictures should be castrated. He of the career 66.8 passer rating.

Eugenics has really fallen out of favor, but we really need to give it a 2d look.

Bane
08-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Anyone who suggests Quinn is superior to Cassel at anything other than taking vaguely gay pictures should be castrated. He of the career 66.8 passer rating.

Eugenics has really fallen out of favor, but we really need to give it a 2d look.

Quinn and Casshole both should be working the drive thru at Arbys.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
08-20-2010, 10:43 AM

Dude, Quinn got fucked when he came into this league. He's got talent.....he's just never had good coaching or a decent supporting cast.

Bane
08-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Dude, Quinn got fucked when he came into this league. He's got talent.....he's just never had good coaching or a decent supporting cast.

That is true,but if he doesn't make it with god as his coach and Jesus as his teammate then he's screwed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyy God
08-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Dude, Quinn got ****ed when he came into this league. He's got talent.....he's just never had good coaching or a decent supporting cast.

In 2008 he had 2 first rounders to throw to and a top flight LT..... and he still put up shitty numbers in his starts.

Quinn is abysmal.

The Franchise
08-20-2010, 10:54 AM
In 2008 he had 2 first rounders to throw to and a top flight LT..... and he still put up shitty numbers in his starts.

Quinn is abysmal.

He had Mangini as a head coach.....and anytime he threw a pick.....Mangini would pull him for Anderson.

Quesadilla Joe
08-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Quinn is pitiful. I can see why it only took a backup FB and a 7th round pick to get him. He looks exactly like Chris Simms did last year.

Mile High Mania
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM

Depends on how you want to view it, I guess... do you know what other QBs make in 2010 and 2011?

Over his career, he is 29-19 as a starter with 51 TDs and 39 INTs. Orton completed 62% of his passes last year for more than 3,800 yards with 21 TD / 12 INTs.

Can he do that again this year? Sure - good QBs in the NFL are in the 3,500 yd - 20 TD - 12 INT range. And, yes without Marshall, he can do that in 2010.

This year you have Eli with a salary of $19M, Cassel with $12M... so $8M for Orton in 2011, I just don't see it as a crazy thing when you compare to others.

Old Dog
08-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Quinn and Casshole both should be working the drive thru at Arbys.

Neither can hit a 6'2" receiver with a football yet you expect them to get my damned roast beef sandwich through a fricking 2 ft window without making a big mess? Ain't gonna happen.

Bane
08-20-2010, 11:01 AM
He had Mangini as a head coach.....and anytime he threw a pick.....Mangini would pull him for Anderson.

Mangenius may have ruined the kid!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bane
08-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Neither can hit a 6'2" receiver with a football yet you expect them to get my damned roast beef sandwich through a fricking 2 ft window without making a big mess? Ain't gonna happen.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ok I'm sorry!
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyy God
08-20-2010, 11:02 AM

He was pulled in his last start and didn't play the rest of the season.

Thanks for playing.

Rausch
08-20-2010, 11:04 AM
I have absolutely no clue what direction, emphasis, or philosophy the Broncos are even trying to build towards.

Quesadilla Joe
08-20-2010, 11:13 AM

Orton's 10 games with a passer rating of at least 90 in 2009 tied Denver's single-season record (Elway, '97).

Orton for his career in red zone: 39 TDs to only 3 INTs - 5th best among current NFL QBs.

Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton's 3,802 passing yards with Broncos in 2009 marked the 12th most in NFL history by a player in 1st yr w/team.

http://twitter.com/psmyth12

Tombstone RJ
08-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I have absolutely no clue what direction, emphasis, or philosophy the Broncos are even trying to build towards.

This coming from a chefs fan is no suprise. It's hard to understand winning when you root for a perennial loser... :p

Bane
08-20-2010, 11:33 AM
This coming from a chefs fan is no suprise. It's hard to understand winning when you root for a perennial loser... :p

6-0 to OH NOOOOO!Yeah that's how you do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

MMXcalibur
08-20-2010, 11:43 AM
http://twitter.com/psmyth12

If you reference one more goddamn Twitter account, I'm going to rape your f**king dog.

Tiger's Fan
08-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Dude, Quinn got ****ed when he came into this league. He's got talent.....he's just never had good coaching or a decent supporting cast.

You have no grounds to ever call anyone a dumbass again, dumbass.

Now go play with billay. He's more your speed.

Bowser
08-20-2010, 12:17 PM
This news is almost as good as when they announced they traded for Gerrard Warren!

The Franchise
08-20-2010, 12:29 PM
You have no grounds to ever call anyone a dumbass again, dumbass.

Now go play with billay. He's more your speed.

And you are? Go fuck yourself.

Oh wait....you're friends with Skip. That makes a lot of sense.

The Franchise
08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
He was pulled in his last start and didn't play the rest of the season.

Thanks for playing.

He was placed third on the Browns' depth chart behind Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson. However, after a dismal 34-7 defeat to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 1, Charlie Frye was traded to the Seattle Seahawks for a sixth round draft pick, moving Quinn to second on the Brown's depth chart. On December 30, 2007, when Anderson hurt his pinky and wrist, Quinn made his official NFL debut in the Browns' final game of the season against the San Francisco 49ers. Although going 3 for 8 passing Quinn led the Browns to the redzone, but failed to score, in part due a dropped pass to Kellen Winslow. However there was speculation that the Browns would trade Anderson to get back into the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft, Browns' general manager, Phil Savage, later stated that he hoped to sign Anderson, and keep both quarterbacks for the 2008 season.

After having a Pro-Bowl season and leading the Browns to a 10-6 record, Derek Anderson was named the starting quarterback for the 2008 season, leaving Quinn on the sidelines once again. However, after a mediocre 3-5 start by the team, coach Romeo Crennel chose Quinn to be the starting quarterback for the Browns' game against the Denver Broncos. Though he played quite well, and helped the Browns build a two-touchdown lead into the third quarter, the Broncos rallied back to win, ruining Quinn's first official start. However, he went on to win the next game against the Buffalo Bills. Unfortunately, he also broke his finger during this victory, and though he tried to play through it during the next game against the Houston Texans, he announced on November 25 that he would have surgery, sidelining him for the rest of the 2008 season. The Browns would go on to lose their last 6 games of the season and end with a dismal 4-12 record.

Soon after the season was over, Romeo Crennel was fired as Cleveland's head coach. He was replaced by former New York Jets' coach Eric Mangini, who was unsure of who would be the Browns's starting quarterback. Thus, a competition for the starting job between Quinn and Anderson occurred throughout the offseason. Since he had only started in 3 games at that point, Quinn was still considered "unproven" in the NFL, and thus many fans rooted for him to win the job. Four days before the Browns's 2009 opener, it was announced that Quinn would be the starter. Brady continued to be the Browns' starter until Game 3 against the Baltimore Ravens, when he was benched at halftime in favor of Anderson. The following week, Mangini decided to make Anderson the starter. Quinn did not see action again until Week 8, when he was brought in with three minutes to go in a 30-6 loss against the Chicago Bears. As the Browns headed into their bye week, it was not indicated who would be starting for the rest of the season. However, it was announced five days before their Week 10, Monday Night Football game against the Baltimore Ravens that Quinn was once again being awarded the starting quarterback position. Eric Mangini indicated that Quinn's continued hard work, determination, and growth, even while sitting on the bench, were major factors in his decision to give Brady the position back.[citation needed] Though he struggled in his first game back, as the Browns were shut out 16-0, Quinn followed it up in Week 11 with his best professional outing yet, throwing for 304 yards with 4 touchdowns against the Detroit Lions. The Browns later defeated the rival Pittsburgh Steelers, Quinn's first win of 2009 as the starting quarterback. The next week the Browns defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 41-34. Quinn's numbers were a pedestrian 10-17 for 66 yards and 2 interceptions. On December 22, the Browns placed Quinn on Injured Reserve for the last 2 games of the season with a foot injury.

Sanka
08-20-2010, 12:41 PM
September 10 games 71.2 QB rating 9td 10int
October 10 games 99.1 16td 2int
November 13 games 65.3 9td 13int
December 14 games 75.4 16td 11int
January 2 games 63.4 1td 3int

Bane
08-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I still would rather just start from scratch vs going after ANOTHER back up QB.....Maybe Quinn will get better but I don't wanna have to watch it.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
I still would rather just start from scratch vs going after ANOTHER back up QB.....Maybe Quinn will get better but I don't wanna have to watch it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not saying that I want Quinn on my team. I have to believe that if Weis wanted him....he would have told Pioli to make a play for him.

I'm also not saying that Quinn is a fucking All-Pro QB. He's a good backup....and should be at least a marginal starter. The kid got fucked over in Cleveland due to management and injuries. And I don't want to hear about playing with two 1st round picks either. Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow aren't shit.

Tombstone RJ
08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
6-0 to OH NOOOOO!Yeah that's how you do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Broncos certainly crapped the bed the second half of last season. However, Broncos still ended up as the second best team in the AFCW. Now, that might not be saying much, but it's still hella better than 4-12...

MTG#10
08-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Quinn just really doesn't appear to understand football...
I remember several people here wanting Quinn that year. I also remember saying he would be a bust and getting ridiculed for it. I would still take him over Mark Castle though...

boogblaster
08-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Kyle knows how to f*ck-donks ....

BossChief
08-20-2010, 05:20 PM
SuperDJ56 likes this :thumb:

vailpass
08-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Here is a pretty level view on it....

Just in case you didn't know what it means to hedge a bet, this is what it means. The Broncos just hedged their bet on Tim Tebow by at least one year.

Naturally, coach Josh McDaniels emphasized Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton's improvement as he announced the first big-money contract extension of the veteran quarterback's career this afternoon.

What he didn't say is that it has taken only a couple weeks of training camp and one preseason game to confirm what many NFL talent scouts believed back in April — that Tebow is not ready to run a pro offense and isn't that close to being ready.

Before Orton signed the one-year extension that will keep him in blue and orange through the 2011 season, he was headed for unrestricted free agency at the end of this season. If the Broncos were willing to accept that situation, that meant they expected somebody else to overtake him as their starting signal-caller within the next year.

Based on what we've seen so far, that's a pretty high-risk bet.

"I think the fact of the matter is Kyle is the starter, has played like the starter, is playing very well and is playing at a different level than Tim or Brady (Quinn) both play at," McDaniels said.

Still, it's a one-year deal, not a multi-year deal. It commits the Broncos to give Tebow at least two years behind a veteran quarterback, which is pretty much the minimum timeframe veteran NFL personnel analysts predicted it would take Tebow to transition to the pro game.

The popular rookie's first NFL game experience, in Saturday's preseason opener at Cincinnati, showcased both his positives and negatives. He displayed not only the competitiveness and determination that make him intriguing, but also the mechanical flaws and high-risk tendencies that make him controversial as an NFL prospect.

If Tebow and Quinn were supposed to provide immediate competition for Orton, that plan failed. Orton is more entrenched as the starter than ever.

What the contrast with the two younger quarterbacks did is convince the Broncos that for the foreseeable future, Orton is still their best bet.

Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com or twitter.com/DaveKrieger

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15842026