PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Chiefs rookie tight end seeks to rebound from injury

Tribal Warfare
08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/19/2161978/chiefs-rookie-tight-end-seeks.html

Chiefs rookie tight end seeks to rebound from injury
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | There’s no worse feeling for an athlete than to be left at home while the rest of his teammates play a road game.

Chiefs rookie tight end Tony Moeaki learned that the hard way last weekend when he missed the preseason opener at Atlanta because of injury. He hung around St. Joseph, rehabbed, stared at his playbook, studied practice tapes, watched the game on television and waited for his next chance.

That will come on Saturday night at Tampa Bay, and after a full week of practice, Moeaki hopes to not only be productive in the game but prove that he can stay healthy.

“I’m good to go,” said Moeaki, a third-round draft pick from Iowa. “The injuries I’ve had are mostly in the past and behind me. They happen every once in a while, so I’m not worried about it.”

Moeaki’s litany of injuries began in his third year at Iowa. He started the first four games, making 14 catches, including three touchdowns, before dislocating his left elbow and fracturing a bone in his hand against Wisconsin.

Moeaki was granted a medical redshirt, but the foot injury led to a calf problem in 2008. He also missed time because of a concussion that season, limiting him to just nine games and only one start, though it was a good one — 13 receptions for 144 yards and a touchdown in the Outback Bowl.

An ankle injury sidelined him for three games in 2009, but Moeaki still caught a career-best 30 passes for 387 yards and four touchdowns as a senior.

“He is arguably the best athlete I’ve ever witnessed in person and played with,” Iowa receiver Darrell Johnson-Koulianos told reporters after Moeaki, still playing on a bum ankle, caught six passes for 105 yards and two touchdowns against Michigan last season.

“The thing about Tony, he has all the talent in the world, but what sets him apart from everyone else is his ability to work hard and hone in on the details and fundamentals of the game. People just think Tony’s a great athlete, his size, height, speed, strength, everything, but he works so hard to be good. At the same time, you have to respect him for his mental state. He’s battled a lot of injuries.”

So it may not have been a surprise when Moeaki, who’s 6 feet 3 and 252 pounds, suffered an undisclosed injury during the Chiefs’ scrimmage two weeks ago. But this week, he’s played some with the first unit, and his hauling in a 70-yard bomb on a deep post from Matt Cassel was the highlight of Wednesday night’s practice.

“Matt threw a great pass down the middle,” Moeaki said. “I’m just trying to do what I’m supposed to do and take care of my job on the play.”

It didn’t come as a surprise to Chiefs tight ends coach Bernie Parmalee.

“We’re happy to have him out there,” Parmalee said. “He’s a smart player, he’s a tough-nosed kid. Him coming in as a rookie added to the mix … when you’ve got smart players who are tough and have a good feel for the game, it’s a bonus. He has those things.”

Chiefs coach Todd Haley wants to see more.

“He’s a young developing player who showed a lot of promise out of the gate,” Haley said. “A player we were excited about … then he was not on the field.

“One play isn’t going to do it for me. I want dependable guys who are out on the field every day who are the same guy everyday. Right now, he’s fought his way back, it appears, and he was able to make a couple of plays.”

Moeaki’s progress is critical to the development of the Chiefs offense. Veteran Leonard Pope, who caught 20 passes in 13 games last season, has had drops on the practice field and in the first preseason game. Jake O’Connell also dropped an easy ball in the Chiefs’ scrimmage two weeks ago and caught just two passes for seven yards in four games last season.

That’s a long way from the days of Tony Gonzalez averaging 76 catches a season.

But this offense has produced its share of productive tight ends, including Benjamin Watson, who averaged 33 receptions and four touchdowns a season for New England during 2005-09.

“I definitely think this system can be very tight end friendly as proven over the years,” Haley said. “The hard part is having the guy or the types of guys you want. The Ben Coates and Kyle Bradys or those type guys don’t necessarily come along all the time.

“It’s a very important position for us as an offense in the run game and the pass game. We have to get everybody out there so we can continue to progress.”

Gravedigger
08-20-2010, 12:06 AM
I went today to St. Joe and saw Moeaki, he did really good, dropped a few balls early on but later when the recievers were playing the DBs he caught 2 passes impressively. He was one of the few Chiefs after practice that stayed to not only catch more balls but to sign a few autographs as well. With most of the players headed into the showers and passing up the kids and parents asking for autographs Moeaki, Chambers, Colin Brown, Hali, and Studebaker stayed behind to sign a few. While the kids were over getting their autographs the more mature crowd, including me, got Todd Haley's.

CrazyPhuD
08-20-2010, 05:39 AM
Hmmm I wonder if Haley would be willing to autograph someone's finger?

LaChapelle
08-20-2010, 05:39 AM
Vrable will just have to fill in

InChiefsHeaven
08-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Man, it seems we always have these "but" players. He's got a lot of talent, "but" he's injury prone. Sly Mo, Kris Wilson, Brody Croyle, Moeaki. We've always got a few of them around...and if history is any guide...Moeaki is not someone to put a ton of hope in. I HOPE like hell he makes it work...

kc rush
08-20-2010, 07:38 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/19/2161978/chiefs-rookie-tight-end-seeks.html

Chiefs rookie tight end seeks to rebound from injury
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Moeaki’s litany of injuries began in his third year at Iowa. He started the first four games, making 14 catches, including three touchdowns, before dislocating his left elbow and fracturing a bone in his hand against Wisconsin.

Moeaki was granted a medical redshirt, but the foot injury led to a calf problem in 2008. He also missed time because of a concussion that season, limiting him to just nine games and only one start, though it was a good one — 13 receptions for 144 yards and a touchdown in the Outback Bowl.

The Star needs better editors and/or writers. Covitz references a foot injury that wasn't mentioned in the article. Elbow and hand injuries are mentioned before this and an ankle injury after.

I guess this isn't a big deal, but it kind of bugs me.

jerseys-factory
08-20-2010, 07:42 AM
all the stars need to take care of themselves, or they will say goodbye to the stadium soon

WV
08-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Man, it seems we always have these "but" players. He's got a lot of talent, "but" he's injury prone. Sly Mo, Kris Wilson, Brody Croyle, Moeaki. We've always got a few of them around...and if history is any guide...Moeaki is not someone to put a ton of hope in. I HOPE like hell he makes it work...

I remember being excited about the possibilities of Kris Wilson, but then he wasn't used like he should have been and couldn't really put it all together in his few opportunities.

Saccopoo
08-20-2010, 08:08 AM
We could have had Dennis Pitta and Matt Tennant with our fourth and fifth rounders. Instead, Pioli moves up eight spots to get Moeaki, who has already missed a significant amount of training camp with an injury. Nice draft move Scott.

Molitoth
08-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Drink some fucking milk.

Fish
08-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Drink some fucking milk.

Nah man.... dude needs some damn adamantium injected into his skeletal system...

MMXcalibur
08-20-2010, 08:33 AM
This morning on the way to work, the Dan Patrick Show was at a commercial and I was staring at a ridiculously long red light. To prevent boredom, I went through all the Chiefs draft picks the past three years and have listed off reasons they have/will/can be a bust in the NFL.

I compared Moeaki to Brad Cottam: relatively high pick for an injury prone tight end that is supposed to be a "difference maker" when he can find his way into a game once or twice a season.

Marcellus
08-20-2010, 09:00 AM
We could have had Dennis Pitta and Matt Tennant with our fourth and fifth rounders. Instead, Pioli moves up eight spots to get Moeaki, who has already missed a significant amount of training camp with an injury. Nice draft move Scott.

Did I miss something? Have we played a meaningful game yet? Did he cost us a game or 2 I missed somewhere?

I say cut him now so we don't have to deal with the absolute certainty of his failure in upcoming seasons.

ModSocks
08-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Judging by the article title I thought this was another Teicher article

Mr. Laz
08-20-2010, 09:27 AM
love Moeaki's talent and potential ... imo he really does have "gonzo" ability

said the same thing about Brodie Croyle when he was drafted, Elite potential

if only they could stay healthy

donkhater
08-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Kyle Bradys?