PDA

View Full Version : Life Why you should wear a helmet on a motorcycle

petegz28
08-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Just got news this morning my cousin had an accident on his bike and just about lost his leg. For now the leg is stable but they had to take veins and nerves from his other leg to try and save it. Don't know anything other than he hit a curb and lost control and flew approx. 90 ft. The doctors told my aunt and uncle that had he not had his helmet on his leg would be the least of his problems as he would probably be a veg if not just plain dead.

ChiTown
08-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Prayers for your cousin.

People who don't wear helmets baffle me. It's just not worth the risk.

Phobia
08-21-2010, 08:27 AM
This is why I don't own a motorcycle, actually. A helmet just isn't enough.

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Thoughts and prayers to your cousin and family, Pete.

I just spent the last few days in Chicago, and I was shocked to see how few people wear a helmet when they aren't forced to by law.

GoHuge
08-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah I had my share of badass motorcycle wrecks (motocross, but luckily on dirt). Everything is too unforgiving on a motorcycle. Prayers to your cousin.

allen_kcCard
08-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Thoughts and prayers for your cousin

Not saying at all he was driving similarly, but...this reminded me of the drive home from work the other day.

I was going south on 71 in my car and was in the left lane next to a semi. I barely heard it before I saw them, but a croch rocket zipped past me driving on the center line between the semi and my car and had to be going over 100 mph. He passed a few other cars up in front of me the same way (on the center line).

He had to stop at the next light and went over into the right lane where it can go stright before going into an exit only, and took off when it turned greed and was gone around the corner and out of vision before the other vehicles were even remotely up to speed...I would guess way faster than 100 by the time he was out of sight.

Guys like the guy I saw leave a bad taste in my mouth, but still a shame to hear of someone getting injured like that on a bike.

DaFace
08-21-2010, 09:09 AM
I was driving up a mountain road with some friends two weeks ago and came across a motorcycle accident. The guy had come around a turn and lost control, flying through the air, and his left leg hit the pole of a road sign mid flight. When he came to rest, his left leg was about 15 feet away from the rest of his body.

The sheriff was there, but the ambulance was still 20 minutes away (we were reasonably remote). I would have thought that a sheriff would have had the training to deal with that, but he was looking for someone with first aid training to help. My friend's wife is a vet surgeon and ended up essentially being the doc on site to get him stabilized before the ambulance got there.

I didn't do much other than help lift him onto the gurney, but that's a sight I won't forget any time soon.

Best wishes to your cousin.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. It is really appreciated. The latest update we got is blood is flowing into his leg now and they are just waiting to make sure it takes.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Same here, Phil. I want one. I really want one. But I am just a pussy when it comes to pain and death I guess.

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2010, 09:24 AM
I just spent the last few days in Chicago, and I was shocked to see how few people wear a helmet when they aren't forced to by law.Heh. Come to Ohio. Its common to see several helmetless riders on the interstates around here while going over 70.

Brock
08-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Take any state without a helmet law, and almost nobody wears them. It's just the way it is.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-21-2010, 09:47 AM
When I lived in KC, I never wore a helmet. I am a good rider..... or at least that is what I told myself. Plus, the feeling of the wind through the hair at 100mph is exhilarating. Then, one of my good Navy Buddies died from a head injury, not wearing his helmet. He was also a good rider. He was meticulous about the maintenance of his bike. We were heading out for a long ride. He put his bike in the shop for service. They lubed his front forks and put on a new front tire. We were doing seventy when he lost control.... because the shop forgot to tighten the lugs that held on the front wheel.

So, now, I wear a helmet... when I ride. I don't have a bike right now. I probably won't buy another one until my kids are in college. I don't want to die with young kids. I am not scared of death so much as I am scared of them having to grow up without a father. I lost my dad when I was 14.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I forgot to add, the poor kid also broke his pelvis. We still aren't clear about what exactly happened but fuck that just sounds so less than non-painful.

teedubya
08-21-2010, 10:41 AM

precisely. I've always had a vision of myself dying in a horrible motorcycle accident... so, I get the hint and have never purchased one.

Thoughts are things and it's a vision I've never been able to shake loose, so I say... well, fuck it. No sense in risking it. Since I think it, it would be more likely to happen, so I won't buy a motorcycle.

Simple enough.

Gonzo
08-21-2010, 10:54 AM
I wanted a bike so bad about 3 years ago. Lumpy was actually going to surprise me with one I had my eye on but the dealer went out of business the week before. About a month later we found out she was pregnant and I gave up on the idea.
Now that I'm a little older and knowing how dangerous they can be, (not to mention being a dad now) I'll probably never get one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
08-21-2010, 11:03 AM
SC doesn't have a helmet law, but I don't even think about going without my helmet. Maybe 1 in 10 riders around here wear one, and that's a fairly generous estimate.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Turns out the kid does indeed have a fractured skull. He had a full-face helmet on. Thank God he did or he would be dead.

kcfanXIII
08-21-2010, 11:26 AM
i used to live just south of arrowhead. with my bedroom window open you could hear 435 pretty clearly, it was maybe 300 yds away. one night, i heard a crotch rocket all out, go flying down the interstate. from the time i could first hear it, to the time it was out of earshot was only about 5 or 6 seconds. it was at that point in time that i said to myself, cruisers only. if i get a sports bike it will be a 250 or 500, no larger. just something to go have some fun around some turns on. i don't trust myself with that type of speed.

hope all is still ok with your cousin pete. keep us updated.

DaFace
08-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Turns out the kid does indeed have a fractured skull. He had a full-face helmet on. Thank God he did or he would be dead.

Damn, dude...that's just scary.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Damn, dude...that's just scary.

Yeah it is. He is only 21 or 22. Was heading home from work at about 4:00 am when it happened. All we can figure out right now is that for some reason he hit a curb, we don't know why, and it looks like he went through a metal fence and we think he hit a tree. This was after he went flying off the bike. His pelvis is shattered, something is wrong with his right foot but I don't know what exactly. Right now they are watching the leg to make sure the transplants take and they are evalutating what to do about his skull.

Earthling
08-21-2010, 12:58 PM
What a tradgedy. Sorry to hear and hoping for the best for you and yours...

Goldmember
08-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Take any state without a helmet law, and almost nobody wears them. It's just the way it is.

Isn't it ironic how you see almost all bicyclists wear helmets, at least here in CA, even though it's not a law? Bicyclists are a lot smarter than motorcyclists. Must be a peer pressure machismo thing with young dumb bikers.

FAX
08-21-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't think I'd ever ride on the street again. Mountain bike? Maybe. Or take a big cruiser down the Natchez Trace.

I've had my motorcycle accident and one was enough.

Prayers out for your cousin, Mr. petegz28.

FAX

Earthling
08-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Isn't it ironic how you see almost all bicyclists wear helmets, at least here in CA, even though it's not a law? Bicyclists are a lot smarter than motorcyclists. Must be a peer pressure machismo thing with young dumb bikers.

Not so sure if they are smarter...I've seen a lot of bicyclists challenge cars and the like here in CO and they invaribly always lose that challenge.

Gonzo
08-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Damn, that's rough. Hope he ends up ok man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Goldmember
08-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Not so sure if they are smarter...I've seen a lot of bicyclists challenge cars and the like here in CO and they invaribly always lose that challenge.

Sure, there are always the idiots around. I'm talking in general. But it is weird that bicyclists would chose to wear helmets when motorcyclists would not. I guess they figure at that speed they'd rather be dead than take a chance being a vegetable.

FAX
08-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Sure, there are always the idiots around. I'm talking in general. But it is weird that bicyclists would chose to wear helmets when motorcyclists would not. I guess they figure at that speed they'd rather be dead than take a chance being a vegetable.

Part of the motorcycle sub-culture is all about "Freedom" and "Respect", Mr. Goldmember.

Wearing a helmet is considered an infringement on that freedom and respect.

FAX

Goldmember
08-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Part of the motorcycle sub-culture is all about "Freedom" and "Respect", Mr. Goldmember.

FAX

Ah yes, the "Down with the Establishment" oppression thing. I get it.

Bane
08-21-2010, 01:58 PM

FAX

I lived in Illinois for 31 years of my life and only wore a helmet at night.After living in Missouri for 5 years and wearing one all the time,I've actually gotten used to it and it don't really bug me anymore.

Bwana
08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Damn dude, sorry to hear that. I hope he recovers quickly.

I owned a bike at one time and enjoyed it until one day I almost got taken out twice in one day. I took that as a sign. That was on a Friday, the bike was in the paper on Saturday and it sold that morning. ATV's a bad enough, but if some idiot runs into me out in the mountains, I always pack my .500 Smith and Wesson, so I can always shoot them up there and dig a fast hole. ;)

DaFace
08-21-2010, 02:02 PM

FAX
I'm not a motorcyclist, but I would wonder if there's an additional thrill of riding a motorcycle that comes with not having a helmet on. On a bicycle, the additional feeling of the wind rushing through your hair is relatively low at 20mph than compared with riding a motorcycle at 70mph.

That said, I've found that the majority of "outdoorsy" people here in Colorado take safety pretty seriously. Almost all bicyclists, rock climbers, mountain climbers, and skiers I see seem to wear helmets. Snowboarders, however, tend to be the rebels.

On a side note, the dude I mentioned before was wearing a helmet. The helmet was scratched to hell, but he was pretty much fine from the waist up.

Goldmember
08-21-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm not a motorcyclist, but I would wonder if there's an additional thrill of riding a motorcycle that comes with not having a helmet on. On a bicycle, the additional feeling of the wind rushing through your hair is relatively low at 20mph than compared with riding a motorcycle at 70mph.

That said, I've found that the majority of "outdoorsy" people here in Colorado take safety pretty seriously. Almost all bicyclists, rock climbers, mountain climbers, and skiers I see seem to wear helmets. Snowboarders, however, tend to be the rebels.

On a side note, the dude I mentioned before was wearing a helmet. The helmet was scratched to hell, but he was pretty much fine from the waist up.

I've never owned a motorcycle either but I do get up to 45 mph on bike. Sure, I'd like to feel the wind in my hair, but the thought of smashing my brains all over the pavement counteracts that thought pretty quickly.

Lonewolf Ed
08-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Prayers and good wishes for your cousin, Pete.

I've always wondered why more bikers do not wear helmets, especially going to Sturgis. I've driven across South Dakota in summer, and my windshield got totally caked with insects. Sometimes, it's so bad I have had to go through a car wash by the time I have reached Rapid City when headed to Montana. If my windshield has that many smooshed bugs on it, I'd hate to be driving along with my face unprotected... though on the plus side, I guess a biker wouldn't need to stop anywhere on the way for lunch.

Bane
08-21-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm not a motorcyclist, but I would wonder if there's an additional thrill of riding a motorcycle that comes with not having a helmet on. . Yes.Sometimes it is nice to not wear one and feel the wind and not have to hear the straps flapping in the wind.I have a German style Kaiser helmet and it's actually pretty heavy,and after a long ride sometimes my neck is a lil stiff from it. I do wear it though,and it's probably good that I do cause I always have someone puling out in front of me or changing into my lane like they can't see me.
:banghead:

I've never owned a motorcycle either but I do get up to 45 mph on bike. Sure, I'd like to feel the wind in my hair, but the thought of smashing my brains all over the pavement counteracts that thought pretty quickly.

I've grown used to having in on now and it really only bugs me on very hot days or super long rides.I ride out to KC a few times a year and sometimes I wish I had a smaller helmet for that ride but I like it so I'll just suffer I guess. I do ride my mountain bike all the time but I don't wear one on it.

Radar Chief
08-21-2010, 02:28 PM
I wanted a bike so bad about 3 years ago. Lumpy was actually going to surprise me with one I had my eye on but the dealer went out of business the week before. About a month later we found out she was pregnant and I gave up on the idea.
Now that I'm a little older and knowing how dangerous they can be, (not to mention being a dad now) I'll probably never get one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea, I'm going to be selling mine, haven't riden in forever anyway.
With a family to take care of, every time I throw a leg over it I'm risking more than my own hide.

FAX
08-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Prayers and good wishes for your cousin, Pete.

I've always wondered why more bikers do not wear helmets, especially going to Sturgis. I've driven across South Dakota in summer, and my windshield got totally caked with insects. Sometimes, it's so bad I have had to go through a car wash by the time I have reached Rapid City when headed to Montana. If my windshield has that many smooshed bugs on it, I'd hate to be driving along with my face unprotected... though on the plus side, I guess a biker wouldn't need to stop anywhere on the way for lunch.

A bug smack in the eyeball is a very bad thing.

I don't care how anti-establishment you are.

FAX

Delano
08-21-2010, 04:17 PM

What a perfect thread for your opinion, nitwit.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
08-21-2010, 04:35 PM
What a perfect thread for your opinion, nitwit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Which of these two statements do you disagree with?

1. More bicyclists wear helmets than motorcyclists.
2. It is smart to wear a helmet while riding a bicycle or motorcycle.

If you agree that 1 and 2 are true, then his statement seems to follow as a logical conclusion. That's not to say that all motorcyclists are dumb, nor does it imply that all bicyclists are smart. But on the whole, more bicyclists make the "smart" choice than motorcyclists.

Delano
08-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Which of these two statements do you disagree with?

1. More bicyclists wear helmets than motorcyclists.
2. It is smart to wear a helmet while riding a bicycle or motorcycle.

If you agree that 1 and 2 are true, then his statement seems to follow as a logical conclusion. That's not to say that all motorcyclists are dumb, nor does it imply that all bicyclists are smart. But on the whole, more bicyclists make the "smart" choice than motorcyclists.

My problem is the indirect insult to the subject of the OP.
Posted via Mobile Device

Goldmember
08-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The topic is why you should wear helmets dumbass. I wasn't insulting his cousin. The kid WORE a helmet and it probably saved his life.

Goldmember
08-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The topic is why you SHOULD wear helmets dumbass. I wasn't insulting his cousin. The kid WORE a helmet and it probably saved his life. He was one of the smart ones.

Gadzooks
08-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Mr.Goldmember, I believe Mr. Delano is upset with the fact that you did not offer your best wishes/ prayers to the victim of the accident in the OP.
Even though your insight into the safety of wearing helmets is much appreciated, you may have missed the fact that a fellow Planeteer is suffering at this moment in time.

BTW - Mr. petegz28, best wishes to your cousin.

Chazno
08-21-2010, 07:41 PM
My dad walked with a limp for 35 years after a school bus hit him and left him with the bottom of his foot resting against the back of his calf. I'll never own a bike.

Best wishes to your cousin.