PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Proving ground | Jones not worried about lack of production

Tribal Warfare
08-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Proving ground | Jones not worried about lack of production (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/23/2170169/proving-ground-jones-not-worried.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Thomas Jones learned long ago not to fret over lousy personal preseason statistics.

“It’s an opportunity to get better before the first real game,” said Jones, a veteran Chiefs running back. “A lot of people look at (the preseason) and just try to get through it. If you just get through it, you don’t get better regardless of whether you’re a rookie or an 11-year veteran like me. You can always get better every day. That’s what I try to do.

That might be a great attitude for a veteran to have, but it doesn’t change the fact that halfway through their preseason, the Chiefs are running the ball far more effectively with Jamaal Charles as their featured back than with Jones.

Charles is averaging 7 yards per preseason carry, or more than two times Jones’ per-carry average of 3.1 yards.

It’s a small sample size, perhaps too small to be making major judgments. Charles has been handed the ball nine times, Jones 10.

It’s also not an unusual situation for the preseason. For instance, Philadelphia, which plays the Chiefs on Friday night at Arrowhead Stadium, has much the same circumstance. The Eagles’ top featured back, LeSean McCoy, has been outplayed statistically in their two games by someone named Eldra Buckley, who may not even make it to the regular season.

Jones’ average is lower because he’s the featured back when the Chiefs are in short-yardage situations, when plays aren’t necessarily designed to make big yards. He converted a third-and-1 play last week in Tampa Bay with a 1-yard run and was stopped a yard short on third and 3.

That’s why Chiefs coach Todd Haley isn’t worked up about what’s going on with Charles and Jones.

“The situations some of those guys have been in are different situations,” Haley said. “For instance, Thomas was in there on two third-and-short (yardage situations). Those are big, big carries. The third-and-1 was a run he really made on his own. That third-and-(3) was a big-time run.”

Charles has often been spectacular as a runner. He’s also the Chiefs’ leading pass receiver during the preseason.

The situation also doesn’t trouble Jones, who also lost a fumble to end the Chiefs’ first possession against the Buccaneers.

“I’m not looking at it like, ‘I haven’t broken a big run,’ ” he said. “I’m out here just trying to get better every day and help my teammates get better every day. The first couple of games have been great to get out there with my new teammates and the coaching staff. It’s been a good transition for me. I think I’m bonding well with the guys on the team, and I’m understanding the offense and what they want me to do.

“We’re not playing four quarters. We’re going out there and trying to execute the plays that are called and get the timing down on a lot of different plays and build the chemistry. That’s something that’s very important for me to do, being on a new team.

“I don’t get into the little intangible things, what this guy brings or that guy brings. For me, all I can do is focus on being the best player I can be and the best leader I can be.”

But Jones and Charles are different types of players. Jones, at 212 pounds, isn’t big for a running back but is powerfully built and more of a between-the-tackles runner than Charles.

Charles is faster and more of a big-play threat.

“I wouldn’t pigeonhole Thomas Jones necessarily into saying he’s strictly a two-back runner or outside/inside, whatever it is,” Haley said. “I believe this guy has some versatility as far as runs. That’s what I like about what’s going on. What you never want to be is when he’s in there you’re running one way and when Jamaal is in there, you’re running another. There are tendencies that develop that way.

“Both Jamaal and Thomas can run the runs we have in our offense, all of the bread and better runs, so to speak.”

The Chiefs are averaging a healthy 4.5 yards per carry including all of their ball carriers. Much of that work has been done by reserves like Jackie Battle and Javarris Williams, but Haley sees good omens for the Chiefs no matter who has the ball.

“What I’m excited about is I feel we’re going to have the chance to be a pretty good running football team,” Haley said. “That’s the way I believe that you win games.

“It appears we’re winning at the line of scrimmage in these first two games.”

Hammock Parties
08-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Jones looked good the other night. I like the way he runs. He looks like a guy that can really pick and poke his way for a yard or two when it's desperately needed, too.

KcMizzou
08-23-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't really think they're competing against each other. They'll both get plenty of carries.

Rasputin
08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
When it is said and done, Jackie Battle will carry the rock more than Jones for this team. I'm hoping Haley isn't this stupid to start Jones ahead of Charles. :spock:

KcMizzou
08-23-2010, 11:21 PM
When it is said and done, Jackie Battle will carry the rock more than Jones for this team. I'm hoping Haley isn't this stupid to start Jones ahead of Charles. :spock:No, he won't. And it makes no difference who is on the field for the first snap. Charles will get his... count on it.

DaneMcCloud
08-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Typical dumb, pointless Teicher nonsense.

Hey Adam, how about an article about the front seven and their inability to stop a fucking nine year old child on a go cart?

Or the fact that Albert hasn't progressed, Waters is quickly moving towards retirement with his preseason play and O'Callaghan has no business playing in the NFL, let alone starting?

Adam, you suck. And how you continue to draw a paycheck is beyond me. You must work cheap.

Like your work.

RealSNR
08-23-2010, 11:29 PM
When it is said and done, Jackie Battle will carry the rock more than Jones for this team. I'm hoping Haley isn't this stupid to start Jones ahead of Charles. :spock:http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kqsa5ejnv91qzma4ho1_500.jpg

Rasputin
08-23-2010, 11:32 PM
No, he won't. And it makes no difference who is on the field for the first snap. Charles will get his... count on it.

If Jackie continues to do well and stick with this team, he will get more carries down the road & I mean two three years from now after Davie Jones locker hangs it up. I'm not worried about Charles he will git his I agree. Jackie Battle has shown quite abit in his play too during pre season and is a power attack, that we can use. Most impressive play of the Bucks game was when Jackie hurdled the defender then kept running and players were blocking for him down field.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-23-2010, 11:46 PM

Hey Adam, how about an article about the front seven and their inability to stop a fucking nine year old child on a go cart?

Or the fact that Albert hasn't progressed, Waters is quickly moving towards retirement with his preseason play and O'Callaghan has no business playing in the NFL, let alone starting?

Adam, you suck. And how you continue to draw a paycheck is beyond me. You must work cheap.

Like your work.

LMAO

boogblaster
08-23-2010, 11:49 PM
huh

Red Dawg
08-24-2010, 06:55 AM
When it is said and done, Jackie Battle will carry the rock more than Jones for this team. I'm hoping Haley isn't this stupid to start Jones ahead of Charles. :spock:

Are you high? Thant woukld be crazy. Battle? No way.

TRR
08-24-2010, 07:42 AM
If Jackie continues to do well and stick with this team, he will get more carries down the road & I mean two three years from now after Davie Jones locker hangs it up. I'm not worried about Charles he will git his I agree. Jackie Battle has shown quite abit in his play too during pre season and is a power attack, that we can use. Most impressive play of the Bucks game was when Jackie hurdled the defender then kept running and players were blocking for him down field.

Every year Battle looks good in camp/preseason, and every season he doesn't produce for one reason or another. Battle is a great practice player, but when the lights turn on for real, he is nowhere to be found...
Posted via Mobile Device

CaliforniaChief
08-24-2010, 07:45 AM

Adam, you suck. And how you continue to draw a paycheck is beyond me. You must enjoy neck nuzzling with your editor.

Like your work.

Dane, I went ahead and FYP. My pleasure.

InChiefsHeaven
08-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Who here thinks that these backs are competing? They will use each as the situation calls for it. Each brings a different skill set. Charles is a quick speedy guy, and Jones is a guy who WILL get you 2 yards against a stacked line on 3rd and 1. They will both be used, and whoever "starts" is not the featured back. We are in a good place for RBBC...

MahiMike
08-24-2010, 08:39 AM
The only stat that matters with these 2 is 1st downs. That's why Jones is here - to keep the sticks moving. That's worth 3 extra wins alone.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-24-2010, 09:17 AM
The only stat that matters with these 2 is 1st downs. That's why Jones is here - to keep the sticks moving. That's worth 3 extra wins alone.

LMAO