PDA

View Full Version : Football Fox Sports: Official NFL Sleeper Pick

Ugly Duck
08-25-2010, 05:54 PM
WORTH CONSIDERING, BUT NOT HAPPENING

Kansas City Chiefs: The additions of offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, Thomas Jones and rookie Dexter McCluster make the 2010 Chiefs offense a lot more exciting than the 2009 version. While Eric Berry should make an immediate impact on the defense, the unit’s still not ready to compete with the NFL’s big boys. I’m also still not sold on Todd Haley as an NFL head coach.

Denver Broncos: The Broncos have been riddled with a string of unfortunate events this summer. The loss of Elvis Dumervil for the season is devastating, and not having Knowshon Moreno for the preseason won’t help much, either. Though they spent first- and third-round draft picks on receivers, and everyone’s high on Jabar Gaffney this preseason, they’ll miss Brandon Marshall more than they expect. A transition year, for certain.

YOUR OFFICIAL 2010 SLEEPER PICK

Oakland Raiders Huh?! Oh yes, I just went there.

I’ve done the unthinkable. I’ve tied my name to Al Davis and Tom Cable. And with that decision, I am also ready to stand behind Oakland through thick and thin this season. Yes, folks, the 2010 Raiders are my sleeper playoff pick. Let it soak in for a bit. Now, when you’re done crying of laughter and have picked your jaw off the floor, let me explain.

The AFC West is putrid. It’s downright awful. I’m not convinced the San Diego Chargers are even a playoff team in any other division. Right off the bat, those six games against San Diego, Kansas City and Denver give the Raiders a shot at the postseason.

The Raiders defense? Well, it’s pretty darn good. I’d go as far as saying, when healthy, the Raiders feature a top-10 defensive unit. You know about Nnamdi Asomugha and Richard Seymour. But there’s plenty more. Tyvon Branch is one of the best young strong safeties in the league, Michael Huff is coming off a career-best 2009 campaign at free safety, Chris Johnson is a vastly underrated young corner and new additions Rolando McClain, Kamerion Wimbley and LaMarr Houston are all primed for breakout seasons. This D is young, hungry and ready to come together.

The offense? Well, it all starts at the quarterback position. And for the first time in years, there’s actually a real quarterback under center in Oakland. Never treated like “the guy” in Washington, Jason Campbell’s been given the keys in Oakland and is ready to drive the car all the way to a playoff berth. Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, the same man who mentored Carson Palmer during his early years in Cincy and Joe Flacco in Baltimore, will ensure turnover-free, steady play at the position. Zach Miller has all the ability in the world at tight end and the two running backs — Darren McFadden and Michael Bush — could have breakout years this season if healthy. The offensive line has some questions to address, and the receivers are a bunch of unproven kids, but who knows? Darrius Heyward-Bey and Louis Murphy have each gotten their fair share of positive media buzz at times this summer. Perhaps they’re the real deal after all.

Longtime AFC player and CBS broadcaster Solomon Wilcots acknowledged all the talent in that Raiders locker room, but warned me sternly on Tuesday about falling for what might look good. “The Raiders are like that pretty girl in the pretty dress," said Wilcots. "Everything looks great. But then she can’t read the darn cue cards.”

17-year league veteran Steve Beuerlein shook his head when I mentioned Oakland as a playoff hopeful. “Jason Campbell certainly helps them tremendously, but the Raiders can’t help but always get in their own way. They're their own worst enemies.” Everyone I mention my Raiders playoff pick to seems to either chuckle or say, “Good luck with that one.”

But when it comes to picking a sleeper, those are the exact reactions I’m looking for. Hey, the bandwagon is currently empty. It’s Al Davis, a bunch of freaks with spikes and face-paint on ... and little ol' me. That's just the way I like it. You’ve heard it here first. The 2010 Raiders are going to the playoffs. Just win, baby.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/official-sleeper-pick-NFL-2010-season-082410

The Franchise
08-25-2010, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders do well this year. Campbell is 100 million times better than Russell.

LaChapelle
08-25-2010, 06:14 PM
FOx News
Fox Sports
biased for the old

BigMeatballDave
08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders do well this year. Campbell is 100 million times better than Russell.Matt Cassell in a vegetative state is better than Russel.

RealSNR
08-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Matt Cassell in a vegetative state is better than Russel.What about Matt Cassell plus purple drank?

MMXcalibur
08-25-2010, 08:04 PM
My sleeper pick: the Seahawks and believe it or not, but the Browns.
The Redskins too, but honestly, is anyone in the NFC East a "sleeper"?

KCrockaholic
08-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Everybody has a sleeper pick. Somebody has picked Denver, somebody has picked Kansas City, and some have picked Oakland. At this point, I'm just ready for the season to play out.

googlegoogle
08-25-2010, 10:24 PM
jason campbell?

lol