PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Matt Leinart

Coogs
08-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Seems as if Leinart may not be the starter in Arizona. He already has a history with Haley, so picking up our offense should not be difficult for Leinart. Stats so far in pre-season for Leinart are 19-23 for 161 yards and a TD. 110.3 QB ranking.

I know Haley went with Warner over Leinart at the given time he was in Arizona. But I think it is fair to say that Cassel is no Warner. I wonder if Haley would prefer Leinart over Cassel at this point? If so, with Haleys relationship with the Cards appearing to be good, I wonder if there possible trade could be arranged involving players, and not draft picks?

Fire away.

RealSNR
08-29-2010, 11:14 AM
We've already established that Leinart > Cassel in another thread

Coogs
08-29-2010, 11:19 AM
We've already established that Leinart > Cassel in another thread

Sorry. Haven't read every thread. Started reading the ________ > than Cassel, but it appeared to be just a joke thread, so I stopped reading after 5 or 6 posts.

RealSNR
08-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Sorry. Haven't read every thread.No, it was a joke. In the _________ > Cassel thread

chiefzilla1501
08-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Seems as if Leinart may not be the starter in Arizona. He already has a history with Haley, so picking up our offense should not be difficult for Leinart. Stats so far in pre-season for Leinart are 19-23 for 161 yards and a TD. 110.3 QB ranking.

I know Haley went with Warner over Leinart at the given time he was in Arizona. But I think it is fair to say that Cassel is no Warner. I wonder if Haley would prefer Leinart over Cassel at this point? If so, with Haleys relationship with the Cards appearing to be good, I wonder if there possible trade could be arranged involving players, and not draft picks?

Fire away.

This was an interesting point I heard about Leinart on NFL Radio.

They talked about how there was one player on the Jets (I think maybe it was Sanchez...) who was asked to be interviewed. He told the interviewer to hold on one second, ran and grabbed a Jets shirt, and then conducted the interview. I think his response was that even in that small interview, he was representing the Jets. And then he made the point that Leinart from day one was all about representing himself as being "too cool for school."

I found that really interesting. I think Leinart has the football smarts and ability to be a good QB. I don't think he has "it." I like that when you talk about Luck, Locker, Gabbert, you hear the words "heart" and "natural leader" a lot. If we're talking about a future face of the franchise, wait for next year's draft. If we're talking about free backup help, pick up a solid guy like Rosenfels who could come possibly for free (or else a real late pick).

Coogs
08-29-2010, 11:28 AM

They talked about how there was one player on the Jets (I think maybe it was Sanchez...) who was asked to be interviewed. He told the interviewer to hold on one second, ran and grabbed a Jets shirt, and then conducted the interview. I think his response was that even in that small interview, he was representing the Jets. And then he made the point that Leinart from day one was all about representing himself as being "too cool for school."

I found that really interesting. I think Leinart has the football smarts and ability to be a good QB. I don't think he has "it." I like that when you talk about Luck, Locker, Gabbert, you hear the words "heart" and "natural leader" a lot. If we're talking about a future face of the franchise, wait for next year's draft. If we're talking about free backup help, pick up a solid guy like Rosenfels who could come possibly for free (or else a real late pick).

I wouldn't trade a draft pick for Leinart, just in case we are in the QB derby next April. But we have a disgruntled saftey on our roster. Change of scenery may do both Leinart and Page some good.

And Haley's future has to be considered as well. If we are in the QB derby next April, Haley is probably gone. Does he prefer to go down with Cassel? Or would he rather tie his future as an NFL HC to Leinart?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-29-2010, 11:29 AM
If he's playing well, why would they trade him? Derek Anderson has a history of being an erratic and inaccurate passer and I doubt they'd be comfortable hitching thier wagon to him without a fallback option.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Leinert sucks , Cassel sucks,Croyle sucks. We need to draft three fucking quarterbacks nevt year. Period.

Coogs
08-29-2010, 11:37 AM
If he's playing well, why would they trade him? Derek Anderson has a history of being an erratic and inaccurate passer and I doubt they'd be comfortable hitching thier wagon to him without a fallback option.

Don't know? Just throwing out an idea. If we did bring in Leinart, maybe the Cards would have an interest in Croyle. Croyle and Page for Leinart.

milkman
08-29-2010, 11:38 AM

Max hall is the best QB on their roster right now, and I won't be the least bit surprised to see him getting a shot at starting by season's end.

Coogs
08-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Leinert sucks , Cassel sucks,Croyle sucks. We need to draft three fucking quarterbacks nevt year. Period.

We probably will. And none of them will be named Luck, Locker, Mallett, or Gabbert.

Deberg_1990
08-29-2010, 11:40 AM
No thanks. If he hasnt gotten it by now, hes never going to get it.

threebag
08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Leinert sucks , Cassel sucks,Croyle sucks. We need to draft three ****ing quarterbacks nevt year. Period.

If we picked three we would probably whiff on them all and strikeout.

Bane
08-29-2010, 11:43 AM
No thanks. If he hasnt gotten it by now, hes never going to get it.

+1
And.... Where's all the Leinart ball washers now.ROFL
Oh and fugg no to bringing him here.We already have enough career back up QB's.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-29-2010, 11:46 AM
We probably will. And none of them will be named Luck, Locker, Mallett, or Gabbert.

I'd be all for pulling a Ditka to get one of them.

bigbucks24
08-29-2010, 11:46 AM

How are the Chiefs going to pick up Sage for free? Do you think the Vikes are going to release him? Or trade him for a very low draft pick? When your starting QB is 96 years old?

Bane
08-29-2010, 11:52 AM
How are the Chiefs going to pick up Sage for free? Do you think the Vikes are going to release him? Or trade him for a very low draft pick? When your starting QB is 96 years old?

He's Casshole v2.0 anyway.Another teams trash QB is not the answer to our historic QB problems.

Coogs
08-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I'd be all for pulling a Ditka to get one of them.

If Cassel continues to suck balls, we will not have to trade up to get one. Plus, Haley is probably out of a job.

That was the purpose of the thread. If Haley's future is tied to a better season than last, does he go with Cassel... or does he prefer Leinart? And I chose Leinart because he probably knows the system... which would be huge right now before the season begins as opposed to someone not at all familiar with the termanology. Plus, Haley knows what he would have in Leinart, and benching Leinart for Warner is not that big of deal IMO.

CaliforniaChief
08-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I remember a game where Leinart came out and lit up someone in the first half. That was an amaz...never mind, that was against us.

08-29-2010, 12:38 PM
screw it. I'd take him at this point.

Ralphy Boy
08-29-2010, 12:45 PM
No way in hell that they trade for Leinart. Seattle maybe and I could see him going there and looking more like a legit QB than here.

Coogs
08-29-2010, 12:48 PM
No way in hell that they trade for Leinart. Seattle maybe and I could see him going there and looking more like a legit QB than here.

Why? KC in AFC West. Arizona in NFC West. Seattle in NFC West. KC makes more sense than Seattle if Arizona were to trade him.

Marcellus
08-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Anybody in favor of getting Leinart over Cassel is a hypocrite.

Not a franchise QB either so what's the point?

SAUTO
08-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Why? KC in AFC West. Arizona in NFC West. Seattle in NFC West. KC makes more sense than Seattle if Arizona were to trade him.

imo carroll would more likely want him than haley.
and has leinart gotten a first down yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

08-29-2010, 01:14 PM

Not a franchise QB either so what's the point?

hypocrite? I know I didn't want Cassel here in the first place so at this point I am willing to try anything.

Marcellus
08-29-2010, 01:17 PM
hypocrite? I know I didn't want Cassel here in the first place so at this point I am willing to try anything.

So who do you WANT? Seriously Lienart is not better than Cassel. People that keep bitching forget that if All Pro QB's grew on trees every team would have one.

Lienart got benched for Derick Anderson for a reason and it's not because Anderson is good.

Chiefs Rool
08-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Matt Leinart sucks and he got punked by Ashton, don't want him.

08-29-2010, 01:21 PM
So who do you WANT? Seriously Lienart is not better than Cassel. People that keep bitching forget that if All Pro QB's grew on trees every team would have one.

Lienart got benched for Derick Anderson for a reason and it's not because Anderson is good.

I don't give a crap if he is better or not. He at least isn't afraid to throw beyond 5 yard patterns. I never said he was the answer but look at our QB options for christ sake. No depth and no options.

Shag
08-29-2010, 01:23 PM

There's a good chance the Vikings do cut Rosenfels. He's making like $3m this year, and is 3rd on the depth chart. Childress has a thing for Tavaris Jackson...

DeezNutz
08-29-2010, 01:24 PM
We've been reduced to arguing for better stopgaps. :facepalm:

Marcellus
08-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't give a crap if he is better or not. He at least isn't afraid to throw beyond 5 yard patterns. I never said he was the answer but look at our QB options for christ sake. No depth and no options.

If you want to bring him in as a back up fine but his arm beyond 5 yards is no better than Cassel's.The problem is he thinks it is.

Valiant
08-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Maybe they would rather play against him twice a year..

08-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Unfortunately yes.:shake:

Marcellus
08-29-2010, 01:29 PM

See post #23.

DeezNutz
08-29-2010, 01:31 PM
See post #23.

I understand what you're saying, but my take is this: Cassel is a pussy who does not handle criticism or adversity well. Thus, even if we draft a QB LMAO, we'll need another stopgap starter to groom him.

Mecca
08-29-2010, 01:37 PM

Actually, he got benched because Ken Whisenhunt is stubborn. He doesn't think Leinart is a fit for his system which he refuses to alter so he's basically reacting with "yea fuck him I didn't pick him". Just more typical coach married to system bullshit.

Leinart isn't a fit here either, he's a WCO QB through and through, he's doesn't have Cassel's accuracy problems he just doesn't have the natural arm strength to zip out passes.

And for that other post, Leinart doesn't think he has a great arm, he's trying to make those throws because the coach gives him those plays. What should he do call T/O go over to Whisenhunt and tell him "Hey retard you know I can't make that throw why are you giving me this play are you a fucktard?"

08-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Actually, he got benched because Ken Whisenhunt is stubborn. He doesn't think Leinart is a fit for his system which he refuses to alter so he's basically reacting with "yea **** him I didn't pick him". Just more typical coach married to system bullshit.

Leinart isn't a fit here either, he's a WCO QB through and through, he's doesn't have Cassel's accuracy problems he just doesn't have the natural arm strength to zip out passes.

And for that other post, Leinart doesn't think he has a great arm, he's trying to make those throws because the coach gives him those plays. What should he do call T/O go over to Whisenhunt and tell him "Hey retard you know I can't make that throw why are you giving me this play are you a ****tard?"

That would be damn funny to watch.

Marcellus
08-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Actually, he got benched because Ken Whisenhunt is stubborn. He doesn't think Leinart is a fit for his system which he refuses to alter so he's basically reacting with "yea **** him I didn't pick him". Just more typical coach married to system bullshit.

And for that other post, Leinart doesn't think he has a great arm, he's trying to make those throws because the coach gives him those plays. What should he do call T/O go over to Whisenhunt and tell him "Hey retard you know I can't make that throw why are you giving me this play are you a ****tard?"

Look, if he was any good they would change what they are doing to fit his style of play. He sucks, therefore they are going another direction.You think the coaches are more oblivious to his skill set than you? Seriously? You are basically saying they tried to give him the starting job knowing he couldn't do it because of the offense they run while knowing he would be bad ass in a West Coast Offense. Give me a fucking break.

Making excuses for the fact he sucks, and will always suck, is like people here making excuses for Chiefs players and that don't fly so why should your excuses fly?

Mecca
08-29-2010, 01:49 PM
That's a hilarious post, after the shit that has happened here over the last 4 years you think a coach would change his system for a player?

NFL coaches don't do that, they're married to schemes and systems, if a player doesn't fit they'd rather get rid of him than alter it. It's one of the most mind numbing things that happens in the NFL on a regular basis.

And I'm not remotely arguing Leinart would be a star or great, I'm arguing that he would at least have a decent chance in an offense he can play in. The Cardinals downfield passing offense and Matt Leinart do not mix. I find it funny that they keep him if they are going to go with an offense they know he can't play in.

Ralphy Boy
08-29-2010, 01:50 PM

I think that if you are willing to get rid of a player, that you drafted in the first round, because he sucks then I don't think you care where he goes. You just get as much compensation for him as you can and move on. I would think that Carroll is more likely to pay up for him than anyone. We aren't likely to trade for him in any scenario that I can even remotely imagine.

DeezNutz
08-29-2010, 01:51 PM
I have no idea if this is the case or not in AZ...

But it's not like it's unprecedented for coaches/GMs to be unwaveringly committed to a certain philosophy or system. For example, I've heard rumors of some dumbasses trying to force feed 34 defenses, going so far as to insist on playing one without a NT.

Mecca
08-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Leinart isn't Whisenhunt's guy either, he was drafted by Dennis Green, coaches rarely have allegiances to change systems for guys they didn't pick.

Ok starter is probably Leinarts upside in the proper offense for him.

Marcellus
08-29-2010, 02:04 PM
That's a hilarious post, after the shit that has happened here over the last 4 years you think a coach would change his system for a player?

NFL coaches don't do that, they're married to schemes and systems, if a player doesn't fit they'd rather get rid of him than alter it. It's one of the most mind numbing things that happens in the NFL on a regular basis.

And I'm not remotely arguing Leinart would be a star or great, I'm arguing that he would at least have a decent chance in an offense he can play in. The Cardinals downfield passing offense and Matt Leinart do not mix. I find it funny that they keep him if they are going to go with an offense they know he can't play in.

So they went into this season trying to give Lienart a job they know he couldn't win just for shits and giggles?
Knowing he would fail and they would rather get rid of him (knowing he would be great in a WCO as you claim) than change the system to fit his style?

Yea the happens all the time.

Coogs
08-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Arizona @ Chicago is starting right now on the NFLNetwork replay of games from this weekend.

Mecca
08-29-2010, 02:08 PM
So they went into this season trying to give Lienart a job they know he couldn't win just for shits and giggles?
Knowing he would fail and they would rather get rid of him (knowing he would be great in a WCO as you claim) than change the system to fit his style?

If you think Ken Whisenhunt has ever been committed to Matt Leinart I have news for you...sure they can pay the lip service of it's his job to lose etc etc, he's still in an offense that is radically different than his skill set.

Also Leinart has better numbers than Anderson does so how is Anderson leading for the job if it's a competition or Leinart's job to lose?

Marcellus
08-29-2010, 02:10 PM
If you think Ken Whisenhunt has ever been committed to Matt Leinart I have news for you...sure they can pay the lip service of it's his job to lose etc etc, he's still in an offense that is radically different than his skill set.

Also Leinart has better numbers than Anderson does so how is Anderson leading for the job if it's a competition or Leinart's job to lose?

Because they both suck?

Coogs
08-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Because they both suck?

Leinart took Arizona 142 yards in 3 possessions against the Bears. Probably would have had 2 TD's, but Well's fumbles at the 6 with about 40 seconds to go in the 1st half on Leinart's first drive.

Our guy... on the other hand... lead the Chiefs to 48 total yards on 6 posessions, only to get the ball back on a highly questionable penalty by the far outside guy on the punt return team of the Eagles.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-29-2010, 02:22 PM

These.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2010, 02:25 PM

Actually, it does.

Teams draft players for specific systems. Teams routinely dump established QB's for QB's well-versed the new system being installed by the coach.

How many times has Pittsburgh changed their offensive philosophy? The Cowboys? The Patriots under Belichick? The Packers? Mike Holmgren led teams?

The fact of the matter is that coaches subscribe to ONE philosophy and teams that stick with that philosophy during regime changes are more likley to succeed than teams that are constantly changing their offensive and defensive schemes.

Leinhart has never been the right fit the Erhardt/Perkins offense. I have absolutely no idea, nearly 5 years removed from his college days, whether he can excel in the WCO but that's exactly the type of offense he should be running.

Ugly Duck
08-29-2010, 02:32 PM

When you think about it... the QB classes of '06 & '07 all suck. Oakland made the biggest mistake by drafting the Hut at #1. Cudda had Quinn - suck. Cudda had Leinart - suck. Cudda had Cutler - INT machine. They all suck.

Jawshco
08-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Forget Leinart. He's too much of a head case. I wouldn't mind having AZ's rookie QB John Skelton. He looked pretty impressive in that first game against Houston, and has a pretty decent arm. He looks better than Jimmy Falco, that's for sure.

LaChapelle
08-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Tommy Mattox would be a better choice

DTLB58
08-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Fire away.

I think Haley would go with a healthy Croyle over Cassel at this point.

So the question isn't whether Haley would prefer Leinart over Cassel it's whether Pioli would? And the answer is no.

splatbass
08-29-2010, 04:19 PM
If Cassel continues to suck balls, we will not have to trade up to get one. Plus, Haley is probably out of a job.

I keep hearing this, but it makes no sense. Why would Haley be out of a job? He didn't choose the QB.

Rasputin
08-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Haleys job is not on the line with how Matt Cassel plays. Unless the team in whole doesn't improve, but Cassel is on the hot seat not Haley. Pioli will stick by Haley through next year. This is Haleys second year as HC, he brought in Crennel & Weis so his ego isn't too big.

milkman
08-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Forget Leinart. He's too much of a head case. I wouldn't mind having AZ's rookie QB John Skelton. He looked pretty impressive in that first game against Houston, and has a pretty decent arm. He looks better than Jimmy Falco, that's for sure.

Cards are going to cut either Skelton or Max Hall, both of whom I would claim as soon as they get the axe.

08-29-2010, 04:38 PM
You know the Chiefs won't pick up any QB scraps out there.

RealSNR
08-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Cards are going to cut either Skelton or Max Hall, both of whom I would claim as soon as they get the axe.That's insane that they would cut Skelton. I'd have to think that he's the most promising QB on that roster, and even if he's not ready to start in the NFL (he's not) they need to keep him around for when he possibly might be.

milkman
08-29-2010, 04:48 PM
That's insane that they would cut Skelton. I'd have to think that he's the most promising QB on that roster, and even if he's not ready to start in the NFL (he's not) they need to keep him around for when he possibly might be.

Max Hall has looked promising in his snaps, as well, which is why I say I'd claim either one of them.

RealSNR
08-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Then there's also this:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=3138

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Cardinals see some "Kurt Warner qualities" in undrafted rookie QB Max Hall.
Hall has a been a "tremendous surprise" outplaying fellow rookie John Skelton throughout camp, and it wouldn't be surprising to see him with a couple of spot starts late in the season. Mort joins NFL Network's Mike Lombardi in speculating that Matt Leinart won't be on the final roster because the Cardinals don't want to lose one of the rookies on waivers.

milkman
08-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Then there's also this:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=3138

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Cardinals see some "Kurt Warner qualities" in undrafted rookie QB Max Hall.
Hall has a been a "tremendous surprise" outplaying fellow rookie John Skelton throughout camp, and it wouldn't be surprising to see him with a couple of spot starts late in the season. Mort joins NFL Network's Mike Lombardi in speculating that Matt Leinart won't be on the final roster because the Cardinals don't want to lose one of the rookies on waivers.

Yeah, I can't see the Cards going into the season with two rookies backing up Anderson.

RealSNR
08-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I can't see the Cards going into the season with two rookies backing up Anderson.I think the Cardinals maybe see this as not so much a rebuild but a "retool". They're switching offensive styles and got rid of a few of their expensive stars on defense. It wouldn't be out of the question for them to go this route.

Green Bay backed up Aaron Rodgers' first year as a starter with rookies Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm.

Deberg_1990
08-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Haleys job is not on the line with how Matt Cassel plays.

You dont think so?? What if they start off 1-7 again like last year?

Pioli will be around forever, but Haley has to prove this year he can build something. This isnt Bill Parcells we are talking about....its Todd Haley.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2010, 05:06 PM
What if they start off 1-7 again like last year?

If?

splatbass
08-29-2010, 05:17 PM

Pioli will be around forever, but Haley has to prove this year he can build something. This isnt Bill Parcells we are talking about....its Todd Haley.

I think if they are 1-7 because the whole team sucks Haley might be in trouble. If we are 1-7 only because Cassell sucks I doubt it. Why would they fire Haley because the QB he didn't choose (and probably didn't even want to start) sucks?

This whole "if Cassell sucks Haley will get fired" shit is ridiculous. Just pure speculation. Pioli chose Cassell, not Haley.

Bane
08-29-2010, 05:27 PM
The Cardinals are in the same boat as we are at QB.They're stuck with a bunch of dumpster QB's,and ****ed blind for sitting on Leinart and not bringing in a real life NFL caliber QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

Coogs
08-30-2010, 05:57 AM

I watched the Cards/Bears game. I'm not well versed in all the plays of every offense, but Leinart threw the ball very well. Most passes were not real long throws, but a couple were 10 to 12 yards down field and right on the money. Those types of throws... which we throw as well... would be somewhat reminicant of the WCO, would they not? Plus he looked smooth and confident running the offense, which Cassel does not at all IMO. :shrug:

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 08:49 AM
The Cardinals are in the same boat as we are at QB.They're stuck with a bunch of dumpster QB's,and ****ed blind for sitting on Leinart and not bringing in a real life NFL caliber QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO I like it.

Bane
08-30-2010, 08:57 AM
LMAO I like it.

Just the way I see it man. Based on their roster aside from Qb,I could see them making a playoff push.Add in their QB's and I'll be surprised if they win 7 games.Maybe if Anderson settles in and picks his game up they stand a chance. I stand on Leinart being a shit-tastic Qb and if they go with him at starter they will fail terribly!

Rasputin
08-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Pioli & Haley are in a partnership with this team, if you listened to Pioli when he hired Haley. If Weis can't get Cassel to do better then it's all on Cassel.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Pioli & Haley are in a partnership with this team, if you listened to Pioli when he hired Haley. If Weis can't get Cassel to do better then it's all on Cassel.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall in those Coaches meetings regarding the QB...

Coogs
08-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Oh, to be a fly on the wall in those Coaches meetings regarding the QB...

I don't think they have faith in Cassel. Haley said in his presser sometime this weekend, that what we saw is the way it is going to be. If we win, it is going to be winning "ugly". There are not going to be any pretty wins for quite some time, and if that is your expectation, then you are going to be disappointed.

To me that sounds like they know Cassel ain't all that.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't think they have faith in Cassel. Haley said in his presser sometime this weekend, that what we saw is the way it is going to be. If we win, it is going to be winning "ugly". There are not going to be any pretty wins for quite some time, and if that is your expectation, then you are going to be disappointed.

To me that sounds like they know Cassel ain't all that.

Yeah, and Waters and Albert need to get their heads on too. Some of those whiffs are just downright disgusting.

Coogs
08-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Yeah, and Waters and Albert need to get their heads on too. Some of those whiffs are just downright disgusting.

So you see Cassel as Peyton Manning... but Albert and Waters are raining on his parade?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
So you see Cassel as Peyton Manning... but Albert and Waters are raining on his parade?

Oh hell no. I'm just saying it doesn't help matters overall.