PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Quietly, Bowe is becoming a more reliable receiver for the Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
08-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Quietly, Bowe is becoming a more reliable receiver for the Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/29/2186323/quietly-bowe-is-becoming-a-more.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Another day passed, and Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe kept following the script, difficult as it might sometimes be.

Standing in the locker room Sunday afternoon, dressing and controlling the music on Tamba Hali’s stereo, Bowe shook his head and said that, no, he wouldn’t be speaking to reporters on this day. Maybe not the whole year.

“Well,” Bowe said with a smile, “I can’t say the whole year.”

Difficult as it might be for Bowe, a fourth-year receiver, to remain silent, there’s little doubt that the Chiefs’ plan for him is working — at least for now. And his silence is part of a plan. When reporters approached Bowe on Sunday, a team employee caught the player’s eye and shook his head, reminding Bowe to keep quiet. It was a message, perhaps, that Bowe’s silence is an organizationwide mandate. He obliged, chuckled and got back to whatever it is he does.

Bowe has, through training camp and three preseason games, been one of the Chiefs’ most impressive players. He had four catches Friday night in an exhibition loss to Philadelphia, and one of those was a touchdown. The old problems that once haunted Bowe — the drops, the animated behavior that might have distracted him, the lack of focus — appeared to be in the past.

“He understands,” coach Todd Haley said. “The message was clear to him what he had to do, and he came into the offseason exactly the way he was asked. He worked through the offseason the way that good receivers, trying to become real good receivers, have to, and now he’s continued through training camp to be a dependable player for us.

“He’s made progress in all areas. He’s becoming one of our more dependable players. That’s good. That’s what we want. That’s what we ask of him.”

Haley said Sunday that the Chiefs have emphasized to Bowe that his job isn’t only to catch passes.

He also has to be a dependable blocker, and Haley cited a handful of examples from Friday’s game that displayed that Bowe has perhaps committed himself fully.

Haley seems to have had as many heart-to-heart discussions with Bowe as anyone. Haley is a former NFL receivers coach, and Bowe has shown that he needs a mentor. He was suspended four games last year for failing a test for performance-enhancing drugs — Bowe later told The Star that he took a diuretic his grandmother had mailed him — and squirmed out of another jam this offseason when he told a magazine that some of his Chiefs teammates “imported” women to road trips during the 2007 season.

Haley said Sunday that his latest talks with Bowe seem to have yielded results, and Bowe’s performance against the Eagles showed that his newfound concentration at least has some longevity.

Haley said he shared a belief with Bowe that one player’s statistics don’t matter, if that player is on a losing team. That his combined 2,017 receiving yards and 156 catches in his first two seasons are meaningless if the numbers don’t help his team win.

“I’ve always had a rule that, if you’re above .500, stats count,” Haley said. “If you’re not, then they don’t. I’ve made that clear to Dwayne; he understands that we’re trying to be a good team, and for him to be a good receiver on a good team, you’ve got to be winning games and then have good numbers to back it up. We’re on the same page there.

“Guys earn the right to make plays. When they’re doing the dirty work to allow us to move the football and have success that way, then they earn the right to catch touchdowns and make big plays and make the ESPN highlight reels.”

Haley said Bowe just has to stick with the plan the Chiefs have set forth, uncomfortable as it might sometimes be. That means maintaining his concentration. That means keeping quiet. Then, Haley said, Bowe might emerge into that top receiver the team has been waiting on.

“He’s doing all the things that are asked of him,” Haley said. “He’s working very hard. He’s focused, and I think that’s showing up. The sky is the limit; he’s just got to continue to stay focused.”

CaliforniaChief
08-29-2010, 11:38 PM
If only they started throwing to him regularly.

He just looks beastly out there. Tough to bring down, aggressive, a great red zone target.

Hammock Parties
08-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Were you meant for something special? Perhaps the answer is yes...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GvH2uyC8ytI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GvH2uyC8ytI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

LaChapelle
08-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Haley wasn't here a month and turned Waters into whine
it's been uphill ever since

RealSNR
08-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Shutting the fuck up really CAN solve life's problems

michaelj_58
08-30-2010, 03:50 AM
finally,oh its contract year! thats right.

jAZ
08-30-2010, 07:33 AM
“Guys earn the right to make plays. When they’re doing the dirty work to allow us to move the football and have success that way, then they earn the right to catch touchdowns and make big plays and make the ESPN highlight reels.”
Is it safe to assume that this means that Haley literally instructs the QB to look to throw to the players who are blocking, etc? And that this policy is what drives a wedge between him and his WR's at times? And why it takes time for these WR's to warm up to his way (if they ever do)?

If so, I like it and it explains a lot.

Keep it up.

Ralphy Boy
08-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Is it safe to assume that this means that Haley literally instructs the QB to look to throw to the players who are blocking, etc? And that this policy is what drives a wedge between him and his WR's at times? And why it takes time for these WR's to warm up to his way (if they ever do)?

Keep it up.

If so then I like it. I like it a lot.

JohnnyV13
08-30-2010, 07:56 AM

Keep it up.

I doubt it's that literal. To me, Haley's statement makes perfect sense. If the whole offense does the dirty work to move the ball, the offense keeps the ball longer. THe more successful drives an offense has, the more chances everyone gets to make plays. Its hard to make a great TD catch, if your drive ends before midfield because someone doesn't make a block to convert a first down.

And, it's a team thing. Bowe's block gives Jamaal Charles a chance to spring free. But, Jamaal Charles might have to pick up a blitz to give Bowe a chance to catch a TD pass. The TD keeps the ground game relevant, and gives Charles more chances at carries...ect.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Nice to read some promising news for a change in regards to Mr. Bowe.

Keep pounding the rock, kid.

-King-
08-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I doubt it's that literal. To me, Haley's statement makes perfect sense. If the whole offense does the dirty work to move the ball, the offense keeps the ball longer. THe more successful drives an offense has, the more chances everyone gets to make plays. Its hard to make a great TD catch, if your drive ends before midfield because someone doesn't make a block to convert a first down.

And, it's a team thing. Bowe's block gives Jamaal Charles a chance to spring free. But, Jamaal Charles might have to pick up a blitz to give Bowe a chance to catch a TD pass. The TD keeps the ground game relevant, and gives Charles more chances at carries...ect.

:clap: Perfectly said.

blaise
08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
That's great. It's just that being "more reliable" doesn't seem like a great goal for a first round pick.

InChiefsHeaven
08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
That's great. It's just that being "more reliable" doesn't seem like a great goal for a first round pick.

So...he should try to be less reliable?

:D

I know what you mean, but I think it's a matter of knowing he's got the skills, but not having the confidence that he will consistently make plays. I mean, nobody is perfect out of college, and a guy like Bowe had demonstrated real ability...now it's time to show reliability.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2010, 10:50 AM
is it Bowe's contract year?

The Franchise
08-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Somebody needs to tell them to actually start throwing the ball to him though.

Kerberos
08-30-2010, 12:55 PM
is it Bowe's contract year?

Dwayne Haynesworth??

Mr. Laz
08-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Dwayne Haynesworth??
you have to take that into consideration IF it really is Bowe's contract year.

if you have focus/motivational issues with a player and then all the sudden, during his contract year, he dramatically improves ..... buyer beware.

Calitozoni
08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Somebody needs to tell them to actually start throwing the ball to him though.

That would require the ball to travel more than 5 yards in the air. I'm not sure that is in our gameplan. If it is, it's only when were down by double digits.