PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs notebook: Injured QB Croyle tests arm

Tribal Warfare
08-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Chiefs notebook: Injured QB Croyle tests arm (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/30/2188789/chiefs-notebook-injured-qb-croyle.html)

Croyle tests his arm

Chiefs backup quarterback Brodie Croyle returned to practice last week, but he threw his first passes Monday after missing most of the last two weeks because of a right arm injury.

In a team drill Monday, Croyle handed off on his first two snaps and then threw toward tight end Leonard Pope, who dropped Croyle’s pass. Croyle completed two passes to Pope before the end of the session, and one of those was in the end zone.

“It was good to see him out there,” coach Todd Haley said of Croyle. “He’s one of the guys that has to get better to help us become a good team. To see him out there and get through, with no issues, I thought it was a good sign.

“He didn’t look overly rusty, although we all had cans of Rust-Oleum in our pockets.”

After Croyle was injured, the Chiefs signed Bill Stull to be the third quarterback during Croyle’s absence. Stull was released Sunday, along with three others, as the team began roster trims.

Haley encouraged by linebacker tandem

Haley said he likes the dynamic that has developed between outside linebackers Mike Vrabel and Andy Studebaker. Vrabel, 35, has acted as a mentor to Studebaker, who will turn 25 on Sept. 16. Haley said that’s encouraging, even as Studebaker begins to take playing time away from Vrabel – and, if Studebaker continues to improve, he might eventually take his mentor’s starting job.

“The relationship between Mike and Andy is what we’re trying to establish across the board, at all positions,” Haley said. “You have a veteran player that is teaching, coaching, schooling, working with the guy that could take his job or take reps from him. You see Mike, it doesn’t matter to him.”

Studebaker had two of the Chiefs’ five sacks in Friday’s preseason loss to Philadelphia. Haley said Vrabel’s influence on Studebaker helped lead to that performance and might lead to a larger role in the future.

“When more of your team is worried about one thing,” Haley said, “and that’s winning the game, championships, you’ll have a pretty good team.”

Injury report

Linebackers Tamba Hali and Cameron Sheffield, cornerback Maurice Leggett, guard Darryl Harris and right tackle Ryan O’Callaghan spent Monday’s practice session in the conditioning area. Safety Jarrad Page remains unsigned.

Rasputin
08-30-2010, 11:21 PM
It's a conspiracy

KCrockaholic
08-30-2010, 11:27 PM
I do like the old vet with young talent behind him approach.

As long as it only goes so far.

TJ and JC are a good pair.

Vrabel and Andy obviously.

McGraw and Lewis.

Waters and Asamoah.

Now, about that nose tackle position.

Rasputin
08-30-2010, 11:41 PM
I can appreciate vets like Vrabel. Teaching while the other guy is going to take his job. Vrabel knows his time is up but he wants to leave a legacy bigger than him, and that's what I admire about him. Vrabel is making this team better with his presence & knowledge of the game, not his skills at this point. I just assume he takes a seat and get out of the way, but I certainly appreciate him on this football team.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 11:55 PM
I can appreciate vets like Vrabel. Teaching while the other guy is going to take his job. Vrabel knows his time is up but he wants to leave a legacy bigger than him, and that's what I admire about him. Vrabel is making this team better with his presence & knowledge of the game, not his skills at this point. I just assume he takes a seat and get out of the way, but I certainly appreciate him on this football team.

If he is truly responsible for helping to shape Stuude in to a monster, then it was worth it.

Rasputin
08-31-2010, 12:17 AM
If he is truly responsible for helping to shape Stuude in to a monster, then it was worth it.

I'm glad I read that. Made me feel better about Vrabel and think that's why they wanted him here for mentoring purposes. I feel however most of these ol vets just don't want to give up the game and it's passing them by. They rune good chances for up and comming players who need the playing time. Personally I want to remember the greats when they were great not 3 to 6 years past there prime. When Priest Holms came back and we had to worry about him getting hurt with nick injury. Stuff like that, hang it up and walk away from the game.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-31-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm glad I read that. Made me feel better about Vrabel and think that's why they wanted him here for mentoring purposes. I feel however most of these ol vets just don't want to give up the game and it's passing them by. They rune good chances for up and comming players who need the playing time. Personally I want to remember the greats when they were great not 3 to 6 years past there prime. When Priest Holms came back and we had to worry about him getting hurt with nick injury. Stuff like that, hang it up and walk away from the game.

Shhh...there's an annoying asshole in Minnesota who doesn't want to hear that kind of talk...

Rasputin
08-31-2010, 12:38 AM
Shhh...there's an annoying asshole in Minnesota who doesn't want to hear that kind of talk...

Oh, my bad... But I wasn't talking about a 40 yo QB who throws tons of INTs nooo, he can play till he is 50 for all I care.

KCrockaholic
08-31-2010, 12:50 AM

That asshole is still in his prime apparently, tossing up the best statistical season of his career.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-31-2010, 11:48 AM
That asshole is still in his prime apparently, tossing up the best statistical season of his career.

Meh. Enough!

BigMeatballDave
08-31-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm convinced that BCs next injury with result in a limb actually falling off...

CaliforniaChief
08-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Either that or trying to stop Kelli from reaching into the pantry for a Fourthmeal.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
i wonder if they move Vrabel inside even more to get Stude on the field

KurtCobain
08-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Meh. Enough!

Numbah fo.

Sofa King
08-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Oh, my bad... But I wasn't talking about a 40 yo QB who throws tons of INTs nooo, he can play till he is 50 for all I care.

7 INT's isn't exactly a ton....

Lex Luthor
08-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Last year was an amazing season. No way in hell he repeats it this year. This will be more like his year with the Jets.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Last year was an amazing season. No way in hell he repeats it this year. This will be more like his year with the Jets.

I predict another Epic Wifey Facepalm.

boogblaster
08-31-2010, 01:22 PM
he can .. he will .. watch from the sidelines .....

-King-
08-31-2010, 01:50 PM

How about 317?

The Franchise
08-31-2010, 02:04 PM
How about Vrabel teaches from the bench while Studebaker actually gets the start. FFS. Studebaker needs to get experience.....and not just in the nickle package.

-King-
08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
How about Vrabel teaches from the bench while Studebaker actually gets the start. FFS. Studebaker needs to get experience.....and not just in the nickle package.

FWIW, Stude had more than triple the amount of plays Vrabel had in the 3rd preseason game.

MTG#10
08-31-2010, 02:19 PM
In a team drill Monday, Croyle handed off on his first two snaps and then threw toward tight end Leonard Pope, who dropped Croyle’s pass.

Shocking :rolleyes:

Rasputin
08-31-2010, 04:45 PM

Is that the number of INTs in the play-offs each of his last few trips? Least he is consistant.

QuikSsurfer
08-31-2010, 05:16 PM
How about 317?

boomshakalaka