PDA

View Full Version : Football Jim Brown Vs. Mike Holmgren..

Deberg_1990
08-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Ouch...Sounds Ugly..

Jim Brown says he won't attend Ring of Honor ceremony: 'I do not need validation'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/08/jim_brown_says_he_wont_attend.html

JIM BROWN’S LETTER TO MIKE HOLMGREN
(Editor's note: This is the entire unedited letter, as it was received by the Browns and The Plain Dealer)

Mike,
I would hope that you would take the time to read my agreement with the Clevelend Browns. I had no contract, but I was asked to write a job description so that my duties would be clear.

That job description included two things that I think are important. As Executive Advisor to the owner, my job was to use my intelligence, and my logic to advise Mr. Lerner. The second most important thing to me was a clause in that agreement that stated that I answered to noone except Randy Lerner. These two thing were highly important to me because I truly believed, with my educational background, having been a Cleveland Brown for 9 yrs, and having a pretty good knowledge of football, that I could contibute in a valuable way to the organization.

When you called me for a meeting in your office, there was no conversation about that agreement, no conversation about my duties, no conversation about what I felt, no conversation about my relationship with the players, no conversation about my relationship with the coaches, no conversation about my relationship with the head coach, and no conversation about my community work. Ultimately there was no conversation about anything that I felt was related to my job.

Your ultimatum to me was that you would offer me the opportunity of being that of the greeter, that of a mascot, that of a person that would represent special events by his physical presence, and for those things, I would receive a salary of $100,000. All of those things that you offered me would be controlled by you.

After that 10 minute meeting, I went to my office with a feeling that I was just fired by the Cleveland Browns, because in my mind, there would be no way on this earth that you would expect me to go against everything that I’ve ever stood for in my whole life.

Not wanting to get into a public debate, I left my office and went home. I never spoke to the media, or any of my friends at the Browns, because I truly didn’t know what to say to them. I thought that was the reponsibility of the Browns. I wrote you and Randy a note, and said I did not accept that proposed position, but if I could do anything meaningful for the organization, I would consider it. I took that position, because of my respect for the Lerner family, and everyone that I had worked with in the Cleveland Browns organization.

I was able to study your press conference and found your statements to be consistent in the way that you value me, and I observed the comments of the key players that sat by your side, and here was the impression I got: Your most powerful statemnt about me was that, and I must laugh, one monkey don’t stop the show. The two players that were with you, one of them made the statement that he was overwhelmed to be honored, and the other started talking about a subject that was highly important, and that was the pension plan, and the improvement that he would hope would happen, but stated that he was there to discuss the Ring of Honor.

I was happy to hear Joe DeLamielleure bring up the pension plan, because right now Mike, I am working with everything I have in my power to be an advocate for a better pension plan and health care services for all the retired players. If you, in your position of tremendous power with the Cleveland Browns, would become an advocate of those two goals, you and I could walk side by side.

But in my conclusion, I’ve never danced in the end zone, I always gave the ball to the referee, so you should know I don’t dance. Also Mike, I don’t hang out on the Westside of town. I’m an Eastside guy. I play my golf at Highland Golf Course. I don’t go to the Hall of Fame ceremonies, except on occasions, like when Gene Hickerson was inducted, and I felt very proud to be with Bobby Mitchell and Leroy Kelly in showing our respect for his great contribution, and for helping us become great players. I don’t have any trophies in my home on display. I don’t claim to be the best at anything, and I emphatically do not need validation from any man, so I will not participate in your Ring of Honor.

Mike, there’s only one thing that I control in life, and that’s being a man. So let me end with a little humor, because as you say, one monkey don’t stop the show, and as I say “Willie Lynch missed a few of us”, and there will be no Buck Dancing.

From #32
Monique Brown

siberian khatru
08-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Your ultimatum to me was that you would offer me the opportunity of being that of the greeter, that of a mascot, that of a person that would represent special events by his physical presence

http://tonova.typepad.com/thesuddencurve/images/jim_brown_at_work_in_luxor.jpg

Psyko Tek
08-31-2010, 05:40 PM
what movie is that from?

and if they are paying 100g per year...
I would sell out

but then again I ain't a hall of famer
the man may have a point
but then again the man may be batshit crazy

not my problem

didn't Montana refuse to show at a superbowl MVP cause they wouldn't pay him enough

Ralphy Boy
08-31-2010, 05:41 PM
You know Jim Brown might think he's classy, but sending that letter to the newspaper was completely classless. Holmgren won't always be there and Brown knows that. He will always be a Cleveland/NFL legend, but HE is the one that drove a wedge between himself and the fans/organization by handling it that way.

Oh and why the hell is it signed by "Monique Brown"? Is that his daughter, or his way of playing on the monkey thing?

Mr. Laz
08-31-2010, 05:50 PM
from what i've seen jim brown is a pouty little bitch with an exaggerated sense of NFL worth. He has a huge racial chip on his shoulder and it would be better if he would just shut the fuck up.

JD10367
08-31-2010, 05:50 PM
From the phrasing ("not wanting to get into a public debate") it seems like Brown thought he was taking the high road, until he saw The Walrus's press conference, and got called a monkey.

siberian khatru
08-31-2010, 06:03 PM
what movie is that from?

Mars Attacks!

Marcellus
08-31-2010, 06:04 PM
:deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee:

Deberg_1990
08-31-2010, 06:27 PM
what movie is that from?

Dirty Dozen

Rain Man
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
I don't get it.

Brock
08-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Would have been fine if it weren't an open letter.

NewChief
08-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Haha. If Holmgren really said, "One monkey don't stop the show" in reference to Brown resigning.... that was an unfortunate/poor/ill-conceived choice of words. ROFL.

siberian khatru
08-31-2010, 07:48 PM
IS JIM BROWN GONNA HAVE TO THROW A BITCH OFF A BALCONY?

the Talking Can
08-31-2010, 07:55 PM
wouldn't a man say it to Holmgren's face?