PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Buzz | Cassel wants big plays; Chiefs release Long; injury update

Tribal Warfare
09-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Chiefs Buzz | Cassel wants big plays; Chiefs release Long; injury update
(http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/31/2191432/chiefs-notebook-cassel-wants-to.html)
Cassel wants big plays

In 50 preseason pass attempts and 34 completions, Matt Cassel’s longest pass play is a paltry 20 yards. Many of those 20 yards came last week against Philadelphia after Cassel dumped a short pass to Jamaal Charles.

Dwayne Bowe and Chris Chambers each has a long preseason reception of 13 yards. In addition to the reception by Charles, the other long pass plays by Chiefs regulars are catch-and-runs: a 19-yarder to Jackie Battle; a 17-yarder to Dexter McCluster; and a 16-yarder to Thomas Jones.

Cassel indicated some frustration with the inability to get the ball down the field.

“Every offense wants to have the ability to make big plays and have production because when you get those big plays, it makes it a lot easier to not be on first, second and third down each and every time,” he said. “There have been a few opportunities where we’ve kind of missed the (chance) to have that happen throughout the preseason.” Hopefully that will become a positive for us.”

Cassel also said the Chiefs haven’t shown much of their playbook in the three preseason games.

“We haven’t really gone into a game in which we game-planned,” he said.

Chiefs release Long

Despite contributing to the biggest pass play of the preseason, Lance Long was let go by the Chiefs. After playing for Todd Haley with Arizona, he joined the Chiefs early last season and caught 20 passes.

But he became expendable when the Chiefs added among others Dexter McCluster and Jerheme Urban.

All five players released by the Chiefs in this round of cuts were offensive players. Quarterback Bill Stull, running back Kestahn Moore, tight end Cody Slate and offensive lineman Tyler Eastman were released over the weekend.

The Chiefs are now at 75 players. They must cut to the NFL-mandated limit of 53 by Saturday.

Injury update

Wide receiver Chambers didn’t appear to have an injury but left practice early to do some conditioning with his injured teammates. Haley routinely doesn’t comment on injured players but said regarding Chambers, “As far as I know, we’re in good shape. We’re doing a lot of different things with a lot of different guys right now. I wouldn’t read too much into anything.”

Two starters, linebacker Tamba Hali and offensive tackle Ryan O’Callaghan, did not practice. Hali had an ankle heavily taped as he worked out.

Linebacker Cameron Sheffield, defensive back Maurice Leggett and offensive lineman Darryl Harris are the other players who did not practice.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-01-2010, 01:05 AM
Cassel also said the Chiefs haven’t shown much of their playbook in the three preseason games.

Cassel reads CP!

Hammock Parties
09-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Cassel wants big plays (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/31/2191432/chiefs-notebook-cassel-wants-to.html)

You can't always get what you waaaaaaaaaaaant...

http://www.khurak.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/matt-cassel1.jpg

You can't always get what you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant....

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/09/26/sports/photos_stories/sports/055_matt_cassel--300x300.jpg

You can't always get what you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaant....

http://www.kcchiefsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Matt-CasselBills.jpg

But if you try sometimes...

you might find.....

YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_e-kQd22FjHI/StG6sVKHQMI/AAAAAAAAAW0/qU5PZiapTrM/s400/travel_tickets_250x251.jpg

Pioli Zombie
09-01-2010, 04:12 AM
This weekend I'd like to get a young black woman in a hotel room.

Marcellus
09-01-2010, 06:19 AM
I love how this place constantly whines about lack of down field passing and Cassel says he would like to do more of that and this is the reaction you get.

Let me be first in with I'm glad to hear he wants to throw the ball down field.

FAX
09-01-2010, 06:33 AM

But, to whom, Mr. Marcellus? To whom, for God's sake?

The only players getting deeper than 10 yards are the enemy DBs.

FAX

KCrockaholic
09-01-2010, 06:33 AM
So, I guess Hali has a sore ankle from the Eagles game, or ....

MIAdragon
09-01-2010, 07:44 AM
I love how this place constantly whines about lack of down field passing and Cassel says he would like to do more of that and this is the reaction you get.

Are you joking?

Fat Elvis
09-01-2010, 07:45 AM

10 yard hail mary's don't exactly inspire confidence in me about his ability to throw the ball down the field.

FAX
09-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Get out the crossbar paint.

We're gonna need it.

FAX

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Cassel graduated the Damon Huard pocket awareness school with perfect grades. And until that changes he might as well hand the ball to somebody.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-01-2010, 07:56 AM
This weekend I'd like to get a young black woman in a hotel room.

Get out the crossbar paint.

We're gonna need it.

FAX

I second both of these motions.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-01-2010, 07:57 AM
[/size][/b]

You can't always get what you waaaaaaaaaaaant...

You can't always get what you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant....

You can't always get what you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaant....

But if you try sometimes...

you might find.....

YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_e-kQd22FjHI/StG6sVKHQMI/AAAAAAAAAW0/qU5PZiapTrM/s400/travel_tickets_250x251.jpg

Wanna' get away?

Red Dawg
09-01-2010, 08:15 AM

I am also glad to hear it. It's important but moving the chains any way possible and scoring TD's is the top priority. Not throwing INT's is next. As long as he does these two things we will win 7 or 8 games.

Delano
09-01-2010, 08:25 AM
That rookie DB from the Jets has a better arm than Cassel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus
09-01-2010, 08:26 AM
But, to whom, Mr. Marcellus? To whom, for God's sake?

The only players getting deeper than 10 yards are the enemy DBs.

FAX

Well, I was operating under the assumption that the plays called would be for down field passing. Not that the play would be a screen and Cassel would just chuck it as far as he could in the air towards the goal post.

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

I seem to remember back to back down field passing plays against Denver the last game of the season. The ball traveled about 70 yards in the air on those 2 plays alone I think. It was crazy.

Red Brooklyn
09-01-2010, 09:51 AM
I love seeing Cassel express a desire to stretch the field deep and make big plays. But want and ability are very different. I wonder how realistically Cassel is able to assess his own strengths and weaknesses.

FAX
09-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Well, I was operating under the assumption that the plays called would be for down field passing. Not that the play would be a screen and Cassel would just chuck it as far as he could in the air towards the goal post.

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

I seem to remember back to back down field passing plays against Denver the last game of the season. The ball traveled about 70 yards in the air on those 2 plays alone I think. It was crazy.

That would certainly be nice ... the last part, I mean.

My point was this, though ... based on what we've seen so far, they (our offensive geniuses) seem to be relying upon the "short" passing game ... the ol' dink and dunk philosophy.

I'm not sure we're an "air it out" offense, just yet. Even though Cassel may respond to a question by saying he wants to get yardage in big chunks ... it's more likely that we'll settle for little chunks and try to keep the chains moving. Either that or we'll completely blow chunks ... which is, sadly, also a distinct possibility.

FAX

The Franchise
09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
I love seeing Cassel express a desire to stretch the field deep and make big plays. But want and ability are very different. I wonder how realistically Cassel is able to assess his own strengths and weaknesses.

Considering he threw 4 INTs and then came out and said that he didn't make any errors.......I'm not sure that he can.

Red Brooklyn
09-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Considering he threw 4 INTs and then came out and said that he didn't make any errors.......I'm not sure that he can.
LMAO

boogblaster
09-01-2010, 10:04 AM
we have the dink and dunk mindset .. we drafted it .. we're gona play it .. get used too it .....

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-01-2010, 10:12 AM
we have the dink and dunk mindset .. we drafted it .. we're gona play it .. get used too it .....

I don't wanna.

Sofa King
09-01-2010, 10:51 AM

i prefer the dink and doink mindset....

http://ecwfrenchtribute.free.fr/HTLM/Photos/D/Doink/Doink_et_Dink_04.jpg