PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Croyle playing catch-up heading into preseason finale

Tribal Warfare
09-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Croyle playing catch-up heading into preseason finale (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/01/2193914/croyle-playing-catch-up-heading.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

If there was one play that showed Brodie Croyle was indeed back on the Chiefs’ practice field this week, it was the last one from a 2-minute drill.

Croyle looked to his left, dragging defenders that way. He came back to the other side with a bullet to tight end Leonard Pope, who was standing in the end zone. And he didn’t look like a quarterback with a sore arm.

“Brodie’s got a gun,” Pope said. “That hasn’t changed.”

Croyle is playing catch-up after missing the last two games and plenty of practice time because of an arm injury. The Chiefs will probably give Croyle more work than they otherwise would have in tonight’s final preseason game against Green Bay at Arrowhead Stadium.

“It’s a fair statement,” coach Todd Haley said. “He’s missed a considerable amount of time now, and that adds up for a quarterback.

“He needs to get back into the swing fast. He understands that.”

Croyle played in the preseason opener against the Falcons in Atlanta. He completed eight of 15 passes for 65 yards and one interception.

Training camp — and in particular, the preseason — is generally the most important time of year for a backup quarterback like Croyle. Because of the generous amount of work a reserve tends to get, it’s the best time of year for his development.

It can be difficult for the backup quarterback to get better during the regular season. He gets few if any first-team snaps in practice and none in the games. He’ll take some snaps working against the starting defense, but he’s running the plays of the upcoming opponent.

“Being a backup, this time of year is pivotal,” said Matt Cassel, who spent three years as a reserve in New England. “It was extremely, extremely important because this is where you get most of your snaps. This is where you get on the field and get that game action.

“There is no substitute for that game-time speed. The speed of the game, even if it is preseason, everything is running about 110 miles an hour faster than when you’re out there at practice. You just can’t simulate that (in practice).”

Croyle missed two weeks of that prime time, so he’s hoping for as much playing time as the Chiefs can give him. Haley wasn’t specific about playing time tonight, but Cassel can expect to play for a series or two.

Croyle will then take over and may even finish the game. Third-stringer Tyler Palko received all of the backup snaps in the last two games.

“I’m looking forward to it after not playing the last two games,” Croyle said. “I need the snaps. There’s nothing like game snaps. This is where I have to iron out the kinks, get my game experience, get to see the blitzes, get adjusted to the speed of the game. You don’t get that in practice.

“In the regular season, I’ll get some snaps in practice. It’s the other team’s plays, but it’s better than no snaps at all. You can kind of get snaps that way but game experience is game experience.”

That’s Croyle’s role, at least for now. He started just three games over the last two years, including the season opener in 2009 in Baltimore for the injured Cassel.

The Chiefs last year traded for Cassel and forked over a big contract, so they’re committed to him for the time being, at least.

“It’s all part of the developmental process,” Haley said of Croyle. “He’s one of those guys, every (snap) he’s out there I’ve got to believe is a positive one even if he’s running off cards on the (scout) team. I know he’s been paying attention. I know he’s been doing the mental side of it the best he can. He’s a pretty diligent worker. He appeared pretty focused.”

Arrive early, Cheeseheads
If you want to see Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the Packers’ starters tonight, you better arrive early. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said the starters will play one series and then retire to the sidelines.

“Don’t miss the opening drive,” McCarthy said. “I’m going to do it the way I’ve done it in the past. We’re going to play the starters one series and then let the young guys play and get a full dose of film on them and sort this thing out. We’ve got a number of players battling (for roster spots) right now.”

NFL EXHIBITION
•WHO: Packers at Chiefs

•WHEN/WHERE: 7 tonight at Arrowhead Stadium

•TV/RADIO: Channels 5, 13; KCFX (101.1 FM)

MMXcalibur
09-01-2010, 10:48 PM
“Brodie’s got a gun,” Pope said. “That hasn’t changed.”

http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/damagedbroken.jpg

DBOSHO
09-01-2010, 11:04 PM
http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/damagedbroken.jpg

AH AH AH

DBOSHO
09-01-2010, 11:06 PM
ive had enough of the cassel experiment. start brodie already

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Cassel's got a gun too, bitch:

http://www.victorianschool.co.uk/images/shop_toys/popgun_webimage.jpg

DBOSHO
09-01-2010, 11:12 PM
damnit ROR lol

Rasputin
09-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I'l say this, Haley was apart of the Warner Leinart switch in Cardville. If Brodie shows us that he can move the ball down field, and look the part of a starting QB, Haley will make the switch, if Cassel doesn't start doing better. This is really Brodies chance to prove him self. He does need to wow us and the coaches. This is do or die time for Brodie.

I don't expect the switch right away but if Cassel continues to suck and suck he will. Brodie may get a shot in a month or so. I think his injury history is going to play the biggest hurdle for him to get on the field. Haley has made the switch before and isn't afraid of doing it again if nessisarry. The QB has to show major progress this year.

Regardless what happens this year at QB, we need to draft a QBotf next year.

btlook1
09-02-2010, 02:36 AM
I'l say this, Haley was apart of the Warner Leinart switch in Cardville. If Brodie shows us that he can move the ball down field, and look the part of a starting QB, Haley will make the switch, if Cassel doesn't start doing better. This is really Brodies chance to prove him self. He does need to wow us and the coaches. This is do or die time for Brodie.

I don't expect the switch right away but if Cassel continues to suck and suck he will. Brodie may get a shot in a month or so. I think his injury history is going to play the biggest hurdle for him to get on the field. Haley has made the switch before and isn't afraid of doing it again if nessisarry. The QB has to show major progress this year.

Regardless what happens this year at QB, we need to draft a QBotf next year.

I think your right if Cassel falls flat on his face they will change just because Haley won't put up with it. However Cassel will be back in a week or two when Brodie is hurt again....I'm hoping for Cassel to get his $hit together and lead us to the playoffs!

Dave Lane
09-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Holy shit this should be a sticky. Croyle looks off his intended receiver!!! Fist time in history. Dude has laser lock like no other QB I've ever seen.

boogblaster
09-02-2010, 08:35 AM
fraggle-rock throws rocket

Nero's Neptune
09-02-2010, 09:51 AM
how many times can you say the exact same thing over and over again in the same article.

Summary: Bodie's been out.. trying to get his timing back. Preseason critical for the backup, only time he gets to play. Games are WAY different than practice. Repeat about 10 times, add quotes of coaches and players saying this several times. The end.

Rasputin
09-02-2010, 04:37 PM
I think your right if Cassel falls flat on his face they will change just because Haley won't put up with it. However Cassel will be back in a week or two when Brodie is hurt again....I'm hoping for Cassel to get his $hit together and lead us to the playoffs!

History just may repeat it's self again. This is the same exact senario that played out when Huard was our starting QB. I go on record that I like Brodie Croyle & think he could be a hell of a QB. However his injuries have been a major problem with him and holds him & this team back of his possibilities. He doesn't get an A for effort and he doesnt get an F for not trying, he gets an (I) incomplete grade. The kid needs to show he can stay on the field & be effective moving the chains. Cassel needs to show that he wasn't a one hit wonder too. He needs to give us fans, a reason to like him, too extend drives and score points. I don't want to wait till half way through the 2nd quarter to see this eather. For me this is a make it or break it season for both QBs, or get the fuck out. NO GAWD DAMN EXCUSES FOR THEM> I'm rooting for Croyle becouse I liked him out of college & we did draft him. Regardless want us to draft a QBotf & (I would even accept) a savy vet to mentor & at the same time have compitition so that his job is earned not given to the rook.

modocsot
09-02-2010, 07:18 PM
History just may repeat it's self again. This is the same exact senario that played out when Huard was our starting QB. I go on record that I like Brodie Croyle & think he could be a hell of a QB. However his injuries have been a major problem with him and holds him & this team back of his possibilities. He doesn't get an A for effort and he doesnt get an F for not trying, he gets an (I) incomplete grade. The kid needs to show he can stay on the field & be effective moving the chains. Cassel needs to show that he wasn't a one hit wonder too. He needs to give us fans, a reason to like him, too extend drives and score points. I don't want to wait till half way through the 2nd quarter to see this eather. For me this is a make it or break it season for both QBs, or get the **** out. NO GAWD DAMN EXCUSES FOR THEM> I'm rooting for Croyle becouse I liked him out of college & we did draft him. Regardless want us to draft a QBotf & (I would even accept) a savy vet to mentor & at the same time have compitition so that his job is earned not given to the rook.

I like the kid too. But, if you're a no-show for multiple exams, you should get an F.