PDA

View Full Version : Football Maybe someone can better explain these rules..

Valiant
09-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Not just about what happened..

Football has to cross the plane while in possession in the endzone for a score..

You can catch a football off of the field, sideline catches where you never have possession of the ball..
The same is for TD catches in the endzone, catching the ball while it is in the out of bounds(physically) and getting both of your feet down.. or the back the endzone..

Those rules kind of contradict one another to me.. You can have both of your feet in the endzone and catch the ball just shy of the line and it is not a TD.. But if you do it on the other end of the endzone it a TD..

Someone dumb this down for me..

Silock
09-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Cross the what?

http://www.scienceclarified.com/landforms/images/ueol_03_img0097.jpg

JFWY

Valiant
09-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Cross the what?

http://www.scienceclarified.com/landforms/images/ueol_03_img0097.jpg

JFWY

Plane?

Bugeater
09-02-2010, 08:11 PM
There are different rules for running the ball and catching the ball.

Valiant
09-02-2010, 08:14 PM
There are different rules for running the ball and catching the ball.

This is probably the dumbed down answer I was looking for..

Now is this written or unwritten rule.. Can I find it in a book?

Silock
09-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Plane?

I'm just messing with you. Your post gave me a funny mental image of a football pulling a wagon down the Oregon Trail.

Amnorix
09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Not just about what happened..

Football has to cross the plane while in possession in the endzone for a score..

You can catch a football off of the field, sideline catches where you never have possession of the ball..
The same is for TD catches in the endzone, catching the ball while it is in the out of bounds(physically) and getting both of your feet down.. or the back the endzone..

Those rules kind of contradict one another to me.. You can have both of your feet in the endzone and catch the ball just shy of the line and it is not a TD.. But if you do it on the other end of the endzone it a TD..

Someone dumb this down for me..

The only place where breaking the plane matters is for teh goal line. To be a TD, the ball must be beyond the plane of the goal (even if out of bounds), with the player having possession, which includes two feet inbounds.

So the rule is consistent in terms of out of bounds versus inbounds. The plane of the goal line is a separate requirement altogether.

There is no "plane of inbounds" rule. Possession means control of the ball inbounds. Breaking the plane of the goal means breaking the plane of the goal WITH THE BALL.

I've said about the same thing 2-3 different ways. Not sure if that helps, but can't think of how else to describe it.

Amnorix
09-02-2010, 08:18 PM
This is probably the dumbed down answer I was looking for..

Now is this written or unwritten rule.. Can I find it in a book?

NFL rulebook is not publicly available. All you're going to find online is the digest of the rules.

Valiant
09-02-2010, 08:19 PM
The only place where breaking the plane matters is for teh goal line. To be a TD, the ball must be beyond the plane of the goal (even if out of bounds), with the player having possession, which includes two feet inbounds.

So the rule is consistent in terms of out of bounds versus inbounds. The plane of the goal line is a separate requirement altogether.

There is no "plane of inbounds" rule. Possession means control of the ball inbounds. Breaking the plane of the goal means breaking the plane of the goal WITH THE BALL.

I've said about the same thing 2-3 different ways. Not sure if that helps, but can't think of how else to describe it.

No, that is helpful..

Amnorix
09-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Oh, I started a fairly advanced discussion on TD rules a few years ago which led to some interesting conversation. You might want to take a peek.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134208

Demonpenz
09-02-2010, 08:22 PM
he crossded teh goaline!

Demonpenz
09-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I always used to hear this thing about the plane of the goaline goes around the world then i still wonder why ball carriers risk a strip by switching hands and trying to get it inside the pylon

Amnorix
09-02-2010, 08:31 PM
I always used to hear this thing about the plane of the goaline goes around the world then i still wonder why ball carriers risk a strip by switching hands and trying to get it inside the pylon

cuz dey dum.

Former NFL Referee Jerry Markbreight:

Q: I've grown tired of announcers saying that players need to dive into the end zone within the pylons, as well as players unnecessarily positioning the ball inside the pylon as they dive for the end zone. As I understand it, because the goal line stretches indefinitely outside the field of play, the pylon is essentially meaningless for judging a touchdown. Can you clarify this rule for me? And if the pylons serve no purpose, why are they there? -- Dan K., Boston

A: You are correct. The goal line stretches around the world outside at the field of play. The pylon's purpose is to signify that the ball or player is out-of-bounds in the end zone. If a player going in for a score hits the pylon with the ball extended over the plane of the goal line, he is out-of-bounds in the end zone, and a touchdown is awarded. But if a player is coming out of his own end zone and he hits the pylon with the ball in his possession, he is out-of-bounds in his end zone and a safety is awarded to the defensive team. So in that sense, the pylons are very important

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2983081&postcount=9

Amnorix
09-02-2010, 08:45 PM
cuz dey dum.

Former NFL Referee Jerry Markbreight:

Q: I've grown tired of announcers saying that players need to dive into the end zone within the pylons, as well as players unnecessarily positioning the ball inside the pylon as they dive for the end zone. As I understand it, because the goal line stretches indefinitely outside the field of play, the pylon is essentially meaningless for judging a touchdown. Can you clarify this rule for me? And if the pylons serve no purpose, why are they there? -- Dan K., Boston

A: You are correct. The goal line stretches around the world outside at the field of play. The pylon's purpose is to signify that the ball or player is out-of-bounds in the end zone. If a player going in for a score hits the pylon with the ball extended over the plane of the goal line, he is out-of-bounds in the end zone, and a touchdown is awarded. But if a player is coming out of his own end zone and he hits the pylon with the ball in his possession, he is out-of-bounds in his end zone and a safety is awarded to the defensive team. So in that sense, the pylons are very important

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2983081&postcount=9

Actually, there was a rule change in 2007. Now they basically need to get the ball into the end zone between the pylons, as I understand it.