PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 2nd Team Secondary looked awful

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Washington has no awareness on the field, and Bates and Daniels got repeatedly beaten all night.

Morgan got torched on a seam route when he had to guard a slot receiver, but he at least made a number of tackles and was around the ball later in the game.

We still don't have a legit nickel or 4th corner.

DaneMcCloud
09-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah but since the Chiefs beat the "Packers", they're going to win on Monday Night!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Does this include Lewis or Arenas? Didn't watch it

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
Yeah but since the Chiefs beat the "Packers", they're going to win on Monday Night!

Link?

Mecca
Everything that Arenas is as a return man, he's not as a CB.

Titty Meat
Morgan was awful that guy has no business making the team. This team doesn't have a 3rd CB either and Cassel was less than impressive.

Titty Meat
09-02-2010, 11:11 PM

Thank you for seeing this. He got beat in the end zone that should have been a touchdown and I love how he's such a great blitzer he's gotten destoryed everytime he's blitzed this preseason.

Titty Meat
09-02-2010, 11:13 PM
And if Barry Richardson isn't the right tackle this year I seriously question Haleys talent evaluation.

DaneMcCloud
09-02-2010, 11:15 PM
And if Barry Richardson isn't the right tackle this year I seriously question Haleys talent evaluation.

I haven't seen the game yet but was Richardson competent?

I know that Green Bay sat its "star" defensive players, so it's not a true test.

But if he looked good, that's a step in the right direction.

BWillie
09-02-2010, 11:15 PM
That Leggett injury is going to bite us in the ass.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-02-2010, 11:16 PM
B-Rich was very good. He kicked serious ass in the run game.

And although Morgan wasn't super impressive, he played better than the other scrubs. He made one mistake. Bates and Price were fucking horrible.

Lewis was the only backup safety or corner who played well, but he should start over McGraw, anyway.

beer bacon
09-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Frankly, I am very angry after tonight's game. Sure our first teamers looked great, but our 6th string CB played like shit.

Titty Meat
09-02-2010, 11:17 PM
I haven't seen the game yet but was Richardson competent?

I know that Green Bay sat its "star" defensive players, so it's not a true test.

But if he looked good, that's a step in the right direction.

I didn't see him have any noticable fuckups.

DaneMcCloud
That Leggett injury is going to bite us in the ass.

That's two years in a row, isn't it?

Mecca

And although Morgan wasn't super impressive, he played better than the other scrubs. He made one mistake. Bates and Price were fucking horrible.

Watch as he doesn't make the team since for some reason Jon McGraw has to be on the team.

Titty Meat
09-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Personally i'd rather see Langford in ahead of Morgan that guy has left plenty of plays on the field. The starters should be Lewis/Berry.

-King-
09-02-2010, 11:20 PM

Lewis was the only backup safety or corner who played well, but he should start over McGraw, anyway.

Morgan sucks. He is #38 right? His ball awareness fucking sucks. He was always far from where the play was. Even McGraw plays better than he does.

Tylerthigpen!1!
09-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Hmmm wasn't CP begging for Morgan to start last year?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Morgan sucks. He is #38 right? His ball awareness fucking sucks. He was always far from where the play was. Even McGraw plays better than he does.

That's b/c they were playing cover 2 and he had the left side of the field.

If he was that far away from where the ball was, he wouldn't have been in on so many tackles from the safety spot.

Langford and Price were the worst of the worst at the safety spot.

Silock
09-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Oh well. They shouldn't be getting a ton of snaps, anyway.

RealSNR
09-02-2010, 11:33 PM
The really shitty part?

We're going to continue to waste draft picks on the CB position.

LBs are looking good despite no talent whatsoever at the position. We need some upgrades there, NT (obviously) and then throughout the offensive line (both tackles and center). With another offseason we can get all these addressed. If we continue to draft TEs and CBs, then we're going to continue mediocrity.

Mecca
09-02-2010, 11:36 PM
We'll also draft 15 more TE's.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-02-2010, 11:36 PM
We need another CB, no doubt, and this thread wasn't meant to be a bitchfest, but rather just expressing a bit of fear over how thin the "strong" part of our defense is.

Tylerthigpen!1!
09-02-2010, 11:47 PM
We'll also draft 15 more TE's.

Uh Pioli has drafted 2. One was worth two seventh round picks. How many 7th round picks pan out? I have no problem with the Moeaki pick. If not for the injury issues he would have been drafted before the 3rd round. Could we have used that pick on a lineman? Sure. But linemen aren't special. You can draft essentially the same one every year. A playmaking TE is harder to find in the 3d round than a frickin o lineman. This rebuilding project is going to take time.

Mecca
09-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Uh it's a remark because NE has drafted an over abundance of TE's.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Jimmy Graham has gotten really good reviews in NO.

Tylerthigpen!1!
09-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Uh it's a remark because NE has drafted an over abundance of TE's.

Well they are in a little different position than the Chiefs, aren't they?

Priest31kc
09-02-2010, 11:54 PM
lol Arenas is already pronounced a shitty nickel after 4 preseason games. He's a rookie. 4 preseason games. Rookie. Unbelievable. How bout you give him ya know a regular season game or 2. Or maybe a season. Since he's a rookie.

But yeah the backup secondary struggled tonight.

Titty Meat
09-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Cool they'll draft Amakamaru or Peterson and play Carr where he belongs.

Titty Meat
09-02-2010, 11:55 PM
lol Arenas is already pronounced a shitty nickel after 4 preseason games. He's a rookie. 4 preseason games. Rookie. Unbelievable. How bout you give him ya know a regular season game or 2. Or maybe a season. Since he's a rookie.

Because he's shown the same shit since college. He has horrible closing speed and always will. He's small those blitzes might have worked in college they don't in the NFL because of his size and lack of speed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Carr is a legit starting CB. He's the least of our problems.

Priest31kc
09-02-2010, 11:59 PM

Totally agree. Never understand the hate on Carr. Carr>any of our CBs besides Flowers in the last decade.

Titty Meat
09-03-2010, 12:00 AM

He not as big of a problem now but once the defense isnt total shit it'll show how hes overmatched by good WR's.

Priest31kc
09-03-2010, 12:03 AM
He not as big of a problem now but once the defense isnt total shit it'll show how hes overmatched by #1, elite WR's.

He's not a #1 CB. Flowers is. Carr is a very good #2 CB.

Mecca
09-03-2010, 12:04 AM
The Chiefs lack of pass rush is why guys look over matched, the problem isn't the CB's its the shithole front 7.

Titty Meat
09-03-2010, 12:04 AM
He's not a #1 CB. Flowers is. Carr is a very good #2 CB.

Why did you have to change what I said? Teams don't line up and play 1 WR they play 2 and the good ones beat Carr.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Chiefs still need a terror off the edge and an anchor at NT.

Linval Joseph has been tearing shit up this PS too.

Blick
09-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Carr isn't that good. He'll get exposed eventually.

I originally thought Price looked like shit, but he lined up in man on some guys and didn't look complete garbage, so I thought he looked decent.

Arenas will get better. He is the kind of corner that will gamble with his instincts.

Priest31kc
09-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Why did you have to change what I said? Teams don't line up and play 1 WR they play 2 and the good ones beat Carr.

Because he can cover "good" WRs. I can understand if you said #1, elite WRs, because he's not an elite CB. Flowers matches up w/ the teams best WR most of the time.

Titty Meat
09-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Chiefs still need a terror off the edge and an anchor at NT.

Linval Joseph has been tearing shit up this PS too.

We're getting that next draft.

RealSNR
09-03-2010, 12:20 AM
He not as big of a problem now but once the defense isnt total shit it'll show how hes overmatched by good WR's.Sounds bad. Better get this problem solved now before we have to deal with it. I really hope Pioli and company see this and take a strong look at all available CBs to help out Flowers before we address our other needs at NT, Jackson's spot at DE, at least 2 out of 4 LB spots in addition to better LB depth, and depth at cornerback.

Some things are just more important than others, see.

Saccopoo
09-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Uh Pioli has drafted 2. One was worth two seventh round picks. How many 7th round picks pan out? I have no problem with the Moeaki pick. If not for the injury issues he would have been drafted before the 3rd round. Could we have used that pick on a lineman? Sure. But linemen aren't special. You can draft essentially the same one every year. A playmaking TE is harder to find in the 3d round than a frickin o lineman. This rebuilding project is going to take time.

No he wouldn't have been drafted before the third round, because he did have a career list of injuries. There was no season where he didn't get injured. Gronkowski had back surgery and was drafted ahead of Moeaki. Add to that that this was an exceptionally deep tight end draft and there were four legitimate starting level tight ends in this draft that would have been there with our fourth round selection. The trade up for Moeaki was a complete piss away of a pick that cost us a fifth rounder that could have been used on any number of quality offensive linemen that were still available at that point in the draft. Tell me that Chris Scott wouldn't have been a better right tackle than anyone else on our roster, or Matt Tennant a better center. Both were there in the fifth. I would have been happy to have had Dennis Pitta in the fourth (whose been receiving raves in Baltimore this pre-season) and one of those guys than Moeaki and his injury.

Titty Meat
09-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Sounds bad. Better get this problem solved now before we have to deal with it. I really hope Pioli and company see this and take a strong look at all available CBs to help out Flowers before we address our other needs at NT, Jackson's spot at DE, at least 2 out of 4 LB spots in addition to better LB depth, and depth at cornerback.

And thats not what I said. Fail.

MMXcalibur
09-03-2010, 12:46 AM
What do you necessarily look for when you're observing the offensive line? Obviously, giving up sacks or defensive players breaking through would be pretty telling and those are the huge plays that make an offensive line man stick out. I always figured if I didn't hear about the offensive lineman during a telecast or if the running game is chugging out solid gains, then he's doing his job well... but what other things are you looking for?

RealSNR
09-03-2010, 12:53 AM
And thats not what I said. Fail.Carr is better than half the #2 CBs on the other teams in the NFL. And that's what he is. A #2 CB.

Titty Meat
09-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Carr is better than half the #2 CBs on the other teams in the NFL. And that's what he is. A #2 CB.

He'd make a better #3

nicelife2010
09-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Washington has no awareness on the field, and Bates and Daniels got repeatedly beaten all night.

Morgan got torched on a seam route when he had to guard a slot receiver, but he at least made a number of tackles and was around the ball later in the game.

We still don't have a legit nickel or 4th corner.

that's might be a pity

Silock
09-03-2010, 01:10 AM
He'd make a better #3

If we had 2 #1s, then I'd agree.

Brandon Carr is NOT the weak link on this team, and it's not even close. We could very well compete in the league for YEARS with Flowers and Carr as our CBs and it not be a problem.

keg in kc
09-03-2010, 01:11 AM
Not much point in worrying about the 2nd team secondary. They're all fodder. Arenas, Barry, Carr, Lewis and McGraw are all locks, and they've all played well. That leaves room for probably one more DB on the roster. And if that 6th DB/4th corner is a problem, well, there's about to be dozens of replacements on the market.

Morgan's been horrible all offseason. Last night's game wasn't any kind of aberration.

The front seven is really what will determine success or failure this season. And they've played progressively better every week, which is I think a good sign. They don't have the marquee pass rusher, but they've been in the backfield consistently the last three weeks. The run defense is a question for now, but more because neither opponent the last two weeks has even attempted to run the ball, which makes it hard to tell one way or another.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not particularly concerned with the secondary's play in the second half. Likely all but one of those guys are going to be gone this time tomorrow.

BossChief
09-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Billay, when are you gonna just let it go and acknowledge that Carr is a damn good corner in this league? Not perfect/elite, but damn good. He can start on a playoff team and win individual matchups or at least limit very very good receivers.

Seriously, you keeping with this "Carr isnt good" shit is starting to make you look a little...well...you know, dumb.

Carr matches up on opponents bigger of their starting receivers, Flowers matches up on the smaller, quicker of the two. Its as easy as that. Any corner is gonna have trouble with elite receivers, but Carr held his own against Greg Jennings tonight who is a DAMN GOOD player.

Chiefs=Champions
09-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Wow people bitching about Carr?? Theres plenty of other players to bitch about...

threebag
09-03-2010, 04:43 AM
This performance just makes trimming the roster that much easier.

xztop12
09-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Arenas is absolutely MASSIVE for a cornerback. He's like 5'8 200

he might have to drop weight to be a good nickle

King_Chief_Fan
09-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Sounds bad. Better get this problem solved now before we have to deal with it. I really hope Pioli and company see this and take a strong look at all available CBs to help out Flowers before we address our other needs at NT, Jackson's spot at DE, at least 2 out of 4 LB spots in addition to better LB depth, and depth at cornerback.

i can live with most of those...to get a new QB.

LOCOChief
09-03-2010, 07:32 AM

Wrong. He had defended several receptions including a dislodged TD pass.

bitching about a rookie corner in the preseason????

aturnis
09-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I think if NY hadn't taken him two spots ahead of us, we would have taken Linval Joseph.

Carr is fine. Very good in fact. His passes defensed was very impressive last year.

Morgan should have been gone last year. Contrary to what a lot of guys on this board have said, he didn't play well last preseason either.

Hope I've been wrong about Barry Richardson. That would be good. Maybe the new offense has finally clicked for him and he knows his assignment. Last year he looked pretty bad on the right side, and respectable for a backup on the left.

Ming the Merciless
09-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Frankly, I am very angry after tonight's game. Sure our first teamers looked great, but our 6th string CB played like shit.

LMAO

hahahahahha

HC_Chief
09-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Second team front seven also looked crappy.

Skyy God
09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Rebuilding team has shitty depth.

News at 11.

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 12:21 PM

And although Morgan wasn't super impressive, he played better than the other scrubs. He made one mistake. Bates and Price were ****ing horrible.

Wow.

I usually agree with you on most things, but I thought Bates showed some promise last night. He was very active and did a good job of breaking on the ball.

He didn't always make the right first move, but that's an experience issue. He showed good athleticism and a nose for the football. He was solid in run-support, showed decent ball-skills and seems to have some legitimate raw talent to work with.

I thought he stood out well above the other guys in the JV secondary last night. Mike Richardson was the one that sucked bawls, IMO.

I doubt he makes the squad, but I really saw some things I liked from Bates last night.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 01:18 PM
News Flash:

WE HAVE NO DEPTH!

Moving on...

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Rebuilding team has shitty depth.

News at 11.

ROFL Beat me to it, I see.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM
The problem is this is the area where we should have depth. Morgan was a 3, Washington was a 4, Arenas was a 2, and none of these guys are going to contribute to our defense this year.

That's really troubling.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 01:25 PM
The problem is this is the area where we should have depth. Morgan was a 3, Washington was a 4, Arenas was a 2, and none of these guys are going to contribute to our defense this year.

That's really troubling.

Oh hell Hamas, it's all pretty damned troubling minus a few key positions. If we're being held back in the 1st string, how long will it take to fix that much less pad the depth behind them?

This going to be a Looooooooonnnnnnnng fucking haul.

Reaper16
09-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Billay, you crazy for this one. Carr is a damn good #2 CB. I don't think he'd be better at the nickle, either. His strengths as a player don't seem suited to the nickle CB position.

LOCOChief
09-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Arenas will contribute to more then just ST this year. They'll blitz him and we'll see him make plays in coverage. GO Chiefs!

Blick
09-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Carr isn't as good as people think he is, IMO.

He was drafted as a cover 2 guy and you can tell he's more comfortable when he can have his eyes facing the action. He gets sketchy when he has to go man and turn and run with a receiver.

Reading about him getting beat repeatedly by Chambers on deep passes in training camp isn't exactly encouraging news either...especially when you consider who's throwing the ball.

He'll get picked on by better QB's and better receivers.

philfree
09-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Arenas will contribute to more then just ST this year. They'll blitz him and we'll see him make plays in coverage. GO Chiefs!

On Lewis' INT in the Eagles game Arenas was one of the players who chased Colb? out of the pocket. It was a good play for a couple of rookies.

PhilFree:arrow:

milkman
09-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Carr isn't as good as people think he is, IMO.

He was drafted as a cover 2 guy and you can tell he's more comfortable when he can have his eyes facing the action. He gets sketchy when he has to go man and turn and run with a receiver.

Reading about him getting beat repeatedly by Chambers on deep passes in training camp isn't exactly encouraging news either...especially when you consider who's throwing the ball.

He'll get picked on by better QB's and better receivers.

You are absolutely correct.

He is better, still, in a zone.

But you can clearly see he's improving and getting more comfortable in man.

He's still a work in progress, but there is progress.

Reaper16
09-03-2010, 07:22 PM
You are absolutely correct.

He is better, still, in a zone.

But you can clearly see he's improving and getting more comfortable in man.

He's still a work in progress, but there is progress.
I don't think that he is "absolutely" correct. He's right about Carr being better-suited for a Cover 2 or a chiefly zone-based scheme. I don't have any doubts, though, that Carr will be good this season, just as he was good last season.

milkman
09-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't think that he is "absolutely" correct. He's right about Carr being better-suited for a Cover 2 or a chiefly zone-based scheme. I don't have any doubts, though, that Carr will be good this season, just as he was good last season.

When I said he was right, I was being specific to the point he made about Carr as a cover 2 corner.

Mecca
09-03-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm really tired of Jon McGraw still being on this team.

HemiEd
09-03-2010, 07:36 PM
If we had 2 #1s, then I'd agree.

Brandon Carr is NOT the weak link on this team, and it's not even close. We could very well compete in the league for YEARS with Flowers and Carr as our CBs and it not be a problem.

Can you imagine where this team would be with Sanchez and player to be named later, instead of TJ and Cassel? Dammit, just ****ing dammit!!!