PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: Doubt begins to define Cassel

Coogs
09-03-2010, 07:33 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/02/2196398/doubt-begins-to-define-cassel.html

Doubt begins to define Cassel
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

They are tempting to make now, but any definitive statements on whether Cassel can evolve into a top quarterback for the Chiefs are just guesses.

It is entirely too early to call Matt Cassel boom or bust. This is important to keep in mind, and easy to forget in the now-or-forget-it NFL. But it’s the truth.

And it doesn’t matter.

Judgments are being made, most of them aren’t good, and the environment this is happening in could make it all worse.

We don’t know exactly what Cassel is, especially after an uninspiring preseason ended with an uninspired four completions in nine attempts with a touchdown and interception against a watered down Packers defense on Thursday.

“I think I made great strides,” Cassel said. “I was happy to stay healthy throughout the preseason. I feel like throughout the preseason I had great command of the offense and understood what I wanted to do with the ball.”

All of that’s important — especially the part about staying healthy — but Cassel has heard head coach Todd Haley say plenty of times that this is a bottom-line business. Cassel had a miserable 2009 that legitimately can be justified in any number of ways that are no longer valid.

Toward that end, any optimism about Cassel is built mostly on hope.

There hasn’t been a test case like Cassel before. You know the story: a backup throughout college and into the NFL with the Patriots until a knee injury to Tom Brady gave him 15 starts in 2008 and eventually a $63 million contract from the Chiefs.

He was good enough that season in New England, throwing for 3,693 yards with 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

And he was bad enough last season in Kansas City, throwing for 2,924 yards with 16 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

One important thing to acknowledge: The change in offensive coordinator, dropped passes and general lack of talent last year means the Chiefs couldn’t have done much less to support Cassel — at least not without punching him in the face before every play.

You can’t judge an artist working on an Etch A Sketch.

The Chiefs improved most everything around Cassel, from the offensive coordinator to offensive line to running backs and receivers.

And the rest of us are waiting to be impressed.

Let’s all acknowledge the insignificance of preseason games, but at the very least Cassel missed a chance to get the fan base excited and the locker room confident. While Aaron Rodgers didn’t even suit up for Green Bay, the Chiefs gave Cassel three series and saw mostly dinks and dunks and slow reads.

On a team that figures to be strong at rushing the ball, it would be nice for the quarterback to throw downfield, something Cassel appears mostly unwilling or unable to do.

His two biggest plays on Thursday — 19 yards to Jamaal Charles and 30 yards to Dwayne Bowe — came on short passes with the yardage coming on the receivers’ legs.

There is no quarterback controversy here, at least not now, but Cassel and the Chiefs may have something just as troublesome. They may have a problem born of insecurity and paranoia.

The criticism is coming, justified or not, and it’s fair to wonder how Cassel will handle it. This will be new for him. He was in the background in college and at New England, and last year he had enough legitimate excuses and low expectations to let it all wash off.

Not anymore.

The Chiefs and their fans have every right to expect a huge improvement compared with Cassel’s terrible first season in Kansas City, and so far it’s hard to see. What nobody can know for sure is whether Cassel is strong enough mentally and emotionally to be unaffected.

Cassel has so far put on a strong face, but when the criticism mounts and the pressure follows, how does a green quarterback react?

Haley often refers to Cassel’s inexperience, and it’s not just a talking point. The guy has made 31 starts since high school. The analogy from NFL to college isn’t perfect, but the first four rookies selected in this year’s draft started an average of 39 games.

So here comes Cassel — the triggerman for a rising team in a league that puts increasing importance on quarterbacks — into the first season of his career in which he’ll be measured with legitimate expectations.

Nobody is demanding Drew Brees, but it would be nice to see something approaching Matt Schaub.

“Why I feel so good about Matt, I see him every day,” Haley says. “I see how hard he works. I see how his teammates respond to him in a day-in and day-out basis. He’s slowly but surely becoming a leader of this team.”

There are small things to build on here. Cassel is tough. By every account, he is working as hard as possible. But without some production this season — and the sooner the better — those compliments become something like: “She’s got a good personality.”

This isn’t only on Cassel, either. Haley’s background is on offense, his reputation built in part by his work with quarterbacks. Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis is here to “fix the quarterback.” You remember that, right? Those are his words, no insult intended, just a straightforward assessment from a Chiefs offensive coordinator who doesn’t like to B.S.

Well … there’s still some fixing to do, 10 days between now and a season opener that will signify open season on criticism of Cassel.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Finally!

notorious
09-03-2010, 07:36 AM
The day after every game shall be deemed "FUCK CASSEL" day.

King_Chief_Fan
09-03-2010, 07:41 AM
One important thing to acknowledge: The change in offensive coordinator, dropped passes and general lack of talent last year means the Chiefs couldn’t have done much less to support Cassel — at least not without punching him in the face before every play.Well, let's punch him in the face and see if that helps. Nothing else has.

Tribal Warfare
09-03-2010, 07:42 AM
The KCstar posted this way late on their website

Mr. Arrowhead
09-03-2010, 07:42 AM
ROFL, Cassel thinks he made great strides. Has he been watching the film on himself.

Tribal Warfare
09-03-2010, 07:44 AM
ROFL, Cassel thinks he made great strides. Has he been watching the film on himself.

The Denver home game he "played well". This is paraphrased from a Matt Cassel comment.

OnTheWarpath15
09-03-2010, 07:49 AM

Shit like that pisses me off as much as his shitty play.

You see QB's interviewed all around the league taking responsibility, saying they need to improve.

Cassel gives you shit like this, and that gem after the Buffalo game where he claimed he made no errors - while throwing 4 INT's.

Saying "I'm not playing good enough" or, "I need to step up and help my teammates" would probably get him a little leeway with the press and fans.

-King-
09-03-2010, 07:54 AM

You see QB's interviewed all around the league taking responsibility, saying they need to improve.

Cassel gives you shit like this, and that gem after the Buffalo game where he claimed he made no errors - while throwing 4 INT's.

Saying "I'm not playing good enough" or, "I need to step up and help my teammates" would probably get him a little leeway with the press and fans.

Handicapped people don't like to aknowledge that they're handicapped.
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
09-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Handicapped people don't like to aknowledge that they're handicapped.
Posted via Mobile Device

How about "developmentally challenged?"

the Talking Can
09-03-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm sick and tired of the media's insistence on discussing the team's QB...they are clearly biased, otherwise they would spend their time more productively discussing our #5 WR and team mascott /

Bob Dole
09-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Bob Dole is terrified that this season is going to come down to Mark Castle playing like ass, getting pulled for Brokie Croyle, who immediately gets broken, leaving this team with no viable options other than going back to Mark Castle.

Bob Dole wants to be an optimist, but thinks it's going to be another long season (with a really large liquor bill in Bob Dole's house).

Coogs
09-03-2010, 08:05 AM

:clap::clap::clap:

RedThat
09-03-2010, 08:18 AM
I still think Cassel is a project. They're gonna have to work him in slowly, gradually make him ease way into the position.

I think this is what Weis has to do with him. He brought up Brady in a similar fashion. It's all about working on the basics first. For Matt at this point, I think they should stick to the short passing game, and rely on the running game to start off the season. Let him work on his short passing game, excel in that area, and once both the running game and short passing game are established, then they could start being more creative with him by opening things up and learning and trying different things with him.

The point Im getting at, for a quarterback he has to build confidence and slowly develop and master skills. And for the Chiefs I think it's necessary they go abouts this with him in an intellegent way. Small steps each time.

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I would like to thank Mellinger for my new favorite Casselism.

"She's got a great personality".

Yes, you will be seeing this from me early and often. I may try to incorporate it into "Matt Cassel is a piece of shit"©.

the Talking Can
09-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I still think Cassel is a project. They're gonna have to work him in slowly, gradually make him ease way into the position.

I think this is what Weis has to do with him. He brought up Brady in a similar fashion. It's all about working on the basics first. For Matt at this point, I think they should stick to the short passing game, and rely on the running game to start off the season. Let him work on his short passing game, excel in that area, and once both the running game and short passing game are established, then they could start being more creative with him by opening things up and learning and trying different things with him.

The point Im getting at, for a quarterback he has to build confidence and slowly develop and master skills. And for the Chiefs I think it's necessary they go abouts this with him in an intellegent way. Small steps each time.

so that's why we paid him $63 million

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 08:22 AM

Bradford got more.

But the problem is that Bradford's 21 and Cassel is 28. Those years are gone, folks.

I'm not completely opposed to paying a raw developmental prospect with the time and skills to be great an exorbitant amount of money. I am, however, completely opposed to paying a raw prospect that's moving out of his athletic prime and has the ceiling of an average quarterback an exorbitant sum.

The money alone is a bad argument, but the money in concert with the age and upside certainly isn't.

milkman
09-03-2010, 08:23 AM

Cool.

He's 28 years old.
Let's develop him slowly so that by the time his game develops, he'll be 30.

Stupid.

JD10367
09-03-2010, 08:25 AM
<object width="400" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/bt.swf?code=51c138d1c82c70762a0946ffa3192040"></param><embed src="http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/bt.swf?code=51c138d1c82c70762a0946ffa3192040" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="370" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed><noembed> <a href=http://www.grapheine.com title=fabricant signaletique>agence com</a></noembed> </object>

siberian khatru
09-03-2010, 08:26 AM

Seriously?

Cassel marinated on the Pats' bench for 3 years, learning all the basics from one of the best. Then he played virtually an entire season, gaining starting experience. Pioli didn't bring him in as a project, he saw him as a guy who had arrived.

I don't see a guy who is merely behind the learning curve and needs time. I see a guy who lacks the physical and mental tools to be even consistently average.

RedThat
09-03-2010, 08:32 AM

Well, I wouldn't look at it that way. I know that's the reality behind it, but what can you do? He got paid, and you may as well hope for the best for him.

I just think he is a guy the Chiefs are going to have to develop overtime. He doesn't have the skill set to be a top quarterback, and needs a lot of work on other aspects of his game. He just needs development and growth out of that position. Period. It's clear you can see it in the way he plays. He makes bad reads, his mechanics are poor, and he often miscommunicates and doesn't time the routes of his receivers well. All this can be corrected in time. I fear the danger of rushing him in though, and using him to carry this team. Id rather think they can develop him slowly, let the rest of the team win games, and develop him into a solid QB at the same time. The team is growing and so should its quarterback.

Hey, how you raise someone makes a difference. No different than using the analogy on how you raise a kid. If you raise a kid well, chances are he will grow and develop into a very good adult. On the other hand, if you raise him poorly, he won't develop so good. Same thing can be said with a quarterback. They're gonna have to breed him along nicely imo if we are going to see him flourish.

Brock
09-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey, how you raise someone makes a difference. No different than using the analogy on how you raise a kid. If you raise a kid well, chances are he will grow and develop into a very good adult. On the other hand, if you raise him poorly, he won't develop so good. Same thing can be said with a quarterback. They're gonna have to breed him along nicely imo if we are going to see him flourish.

You can affect what a kid's personality is to a degree, but you can't make them smarter or more athletic. If he's not ready to play now, he never will be.

Crush
09-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Well, I wouldn't look at it that way. I know that's the reality behind it, but what can you do? He got paid, and you may as well hope for the best for him.

I just think he is a guy the Chiefs are going to have to develop overtime. He doesn't have the skill set to be a top quarterback, and needs a lot of work on other aspects of his game. He just needs development and growth out of that position. Period. It's clear you can see it in the way he plays. He makes bad reads, his mechanics are poor, and he often miscommunicates and doesn't time the routes of his receivers well. All this can be corrected in time. I fear the danger of rushing him in though, and using him to carry this team. Id rather think they can develop him slowly, let the rest of the team win games, and develop him into a solid QB at the same time. The team is growing and so should its quarterback.

.... or we can just kick him to the curb and find a real QB. You know, a QB that makes the team around him better. A QB that actually leads the team. A QB that actually throw farther than ten yards.

RedThat
09-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Cool.

He's 28 years old.
Let's develop him slowly so that by the time his game develops, he'll be 30.

Stupid.

QB's can play late into their careers. So I have no issue with age.

Besides, wouldn't it be better to develop him at this point? just the best with what you have. Or if you don't like what you have, tank him and draft someone else for next year.

*I'd like to see progress out of our QB someway, somehow.

MMXcalibur
09-03-2010, 08:38 AM
I'll give Cassel more slack than a ton of others do here...but c'mon...any ball deeper than 10 yards is going into Row 34.

Crush
09-03-2010, 08:39 AM
If your "QB" cannot throw farther 10 yards, then it is time to find a new QB.

Crush
09-03-2010, 08:41 AM
The neighborhood Patriots fans will now chime in and defend Cassel, because God forbid for someone to criticize a former Patriot in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

RedThat
09-03-2010, 08:42 AM
You can affect what a kid's personality is to a degree, but you can't make them smarter or more athletic. If he's not ready to play now, he never will be.

Right some people are limited in some ways. Thats true.

There are some things you can't teach. But what you don't have you can makeup for with something else. Or maybe there is something in the guy they can work with and/or develop. Who knows?

Coogs
09-03-2010, 08:42 AM

Let's look at this short passing game from last night. 1st four passes...

Short pass to Urban... incomplete
Pass to a wide open Bowe in the EndZone... incomplete
Short pass to Bowe... Intercepted

RedThat
09-03-2010, 08:45 AM
If your "QB" cannot throw farther 10 yards, then it is time to find a new QB.

True. If he doesn't work out, they look for another QB.

but, I want to get back to what you were saying, thats why they should stick with the short passes for now. Let Charles, McCluster, Bowe, and the rest of the crew make plays after the catch. We have the guys that can make plays, might as well work to the strength of the team.

FAX
09-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Based solely on his contract and nothing else, expectations for Cassel should be high, Mr. RedThat.

If he doesn't deliver this season, many chips will fall, noxious smoke will fill the room, and some innocent people are going to get hurt. Fans should stay the heck away.

FAX

siberian khatru
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I stopped cutting Cassel slack late last year when:

1) He'd had three months to acclimate himself to the offensive changes;
2) Charles replaced Johnson at RB;
3) A revitalized Chris Chambers was added;
4) The OL play actually improved;

and yet Cassel played as bad or worse than he had before.

Chiefnj2
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Do you think the INT was Cassel's fault, or caused primarily by Bowe slipping?

milkman
09-03-2010, 08:48 AM

He's been "raised", in virtually the same way that Rodgers was "raised".

He is what he is.

If he hasn't learned yet how to read a defense, hasn't developed a pocket presense and can't hit intermediate routes with any accuracy now, he will never be able to so those things.

Dump him after the season and move on.

Crush
09-03-2010, 08:49 AM

but, I want to get back to what you were saying, thats why they should stick with the short passes for now. Let Charles, McCluster, Bowe, and the rest of the crew make plays after the catch. We have the guys that can make plays, might as well work to the strength of the team.

If you have depend on the rest of the team to carry the QB, then it is time to find a new QB. A good QB does not depend on the rest of the team to carry him. It is time to shoot Cassel and send him to the glue factory.

HemiEd
09-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Seriously?

Cassel marinated on the Pats' bench for 3 years, learning all the basics from one of the best. Then he played virtually an entire season, gaining starting experience. Pioli didn't bring him in as a project, he saw him as a guy who had arrived.

I don't see a guy who is merely behind the learning curve and needs time. I see a guy who lacks the physical and mental tools to be even consistently average.

Thread over.

RedThat
09-03-2010, 08:50 AM

I know last night's game is no exception or excuse. Clearly, he has to step up and perform better in his role. Last night's game, however, wouldn't influence me as a fan that they should avoid the short passing game. I think they should stick to it. This team has a good crop of playmakers that are dangerous everytime they touch the ball.

Mind you, it's one game and Im not gonna judge him over yesterdays game, but yeah he does need to step it up. I just think they have to be smart with him.

JD10367
09-03-2010, 08:54 AM
The neighborhood Patriots fans will now chime in and defend Cassel, because God forbid for someone to criticize a former Patriot in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

I don't know why some of you harp on this. Personally, I could give less of a fuck how former Patriots do. It's been well-documented that almost all of them fail miserably, with the exception of Vinatieri. But bitching about the 4th preseason game is pretty much a waste of breath. If, by October, the Chiefs are 1-3 and Cassel has looked like dogshit, I'll be the first to agree that his stats in the 2008 season in New England were a smoke-and-mirrors result of Belichick and the talent around him. But bitching about the guy's performance last season (transitioning to a new team, new HC, new offense, surrounded by mediocre talent) or in preseason is pointless.

He and Haley got their mulligan year. They now have more talent around him. They now have actual O and D coordinators. They now have a year with the offensive system. If Cassel fucks up, it's all on him now.

I think a lot of you expected him to walk in and look like Peyton Manning. Why, I don't know. Is it his fault Pioli signed him to a ridiculous contract? If your boss came to you and said, "We'll pay you fifty times more than what you made last year and give you an 8-year contract", what would you say, regardless of whether you were great at your job or just mediocre? You blame Cassel for the decision of Pioli.

Honestly? He may not have the natural talents of Peyton Manning, but I think Cassel's got the tools to get the job done. Yeah, he's also got the tools to fuck up miserably and become an NFL footnote. It really could go either way, and either way wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think Pioli, Haley, and Weis are stupid. Way back in last preseason, I said, "Given what they've invested in him, Cassel would have to screw up royally all season long, and they STILL wouldn't dump him. He'd have to screw up well into next season, too." That still holds (and, frankly, I didn't think he "screwed up royally" all last season... he wasn't great, but he wasn't awful). If Cassel is screwing the pooch, by Halloween I think they'll admit they screwed up and cut ties with him. At which point, feel free to unleash your venom... on the proper target (Pioli).

Coogs
09-03-2010, 09:00 AM

Yes to the first part. I don't care if Bowe had a slip in there or not. All we run is short passes. And the have had 2 full off-seasons and 1 full season to work on chemistry and timing. A damn Jr. High QB could have thrown a better ball with much, much less time to work out chemstry between QB and WR.

I know I will take a beating for this, but that is just the way I see it. Bowe may have slipped, but it wasn't the reason for the INT.

The Bad Guy
09-03-2010, 09:00 AM
It's almost like he's trying to convince himself that he's good.

It's like the battered husband who keeps talking about how great his relationship is.

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 09:01 AM

Or you could just recognize that when the absolute best case scenario for your QB is that you waste 4 seasons and end up with a 32 year old game manager, you should probably just cut your losses and move on.

There are other people that can throw the football. If the NFL stopped all player movement over the next 4 seasons and told everyone they had to make due with what they had, your plan would have some merit. But fortunately, we're allowed to move on.

There's absolutely no reason to stick with this guy and your own explanation here supports this.

milkman
...but I think Cassel's got the tools to get the job done.

Please, enlighten us.

What tools would those be?

Coogs
I know last night's game is no exception or excuse. Clearly, he has to step up and perform better in his role. Last night's game, however, wouldn't influence me as a fan that they should avoid the short passing game. I think they should stick to it. This team has a good crop of playmakers that are dangerous everytime they touch the ball.

Mind you, it's one game and Im not gonna judge him over yesterdays game, but yeah he does need to step it up. I just think they have to be smart with him.

Problem is, it is just not 1 game. And yes, we must stick with the short passing game. It is our only hope.

the Talking Can
09-03-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't know why some of you harp on this. Personally, I could give less of a **** how former Patriots do. It's been well-documented that almost all of them fail miserably, with the exception of Vinatieri. But bitching about the 4th preseason game is pretty much a waste of breath. If, by October, the Chiefs are 1-3 and Cassel has looked like dogshit, I'll be the first to agree that his stats in the 2008 season in New England were a smoke-and-mirrors result of Belichick and the talent around him. But bitching about the guy's performance last season (transitioning to a new team, new HC, new offense, surrounded by mediocre talent) or in preseason is pointless.

He and Haley got their mulligan year. They now have more talent around him. They now have actual O and D coordinators. They now have a year with the offensive system. If Cassel ****s up, it's all on him now.

I think a lot of you expected him to walk in and look like Peyton Manning. Why, I don't know. Is it his fault Pioli signed him to a ridiculous contract? If your boss came to you and said, "We'll pay you fifty times more than what you made last year and give you an 8-year contract", what would you say, regardless of whether you were great at your job or just mediocre? You blame Cassel for the decision of Pioli.

Honestly? He may not have the natural talents of Peyton Manning, but I think Cassel's got the tools to get the job done. Yeah, he's also got the tools to **** up miserably and become an NFL footnote. It really could go either way, and either way wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think Pioli, Haley, and Weis are stupid. Way back in last preseason, I said, "Given what they've invested in him, Cassel would have to screw up royally all season long, and they STILL wouldn't dump him. He'd have to screw up well into next season, too." That still holds (and, frankly, I didn't think he "screwed up royally" all last season... he wasn't great, but he wasn't awful). If Cassel is screwing the pooch, by Halloween I think they'll admit they screwed up and cut ties with him. At which point, feel free to unleash your venom... on the proper target (Pioli).

awww

Cassel's #1 ball washer is testy

milkman
09-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes to the first part. I don't care if Bowe had a slip in there or not. All we run is short passes. And the have had 2 full off-seasons and 1 full season to work on chemistry and timing. A damn Jr. High QB could have thrown a better ball with much, much less time to work out chemstry between QB and WR.

I know I will take a beating for this, but that is just the way I see it. Bowe may have slipped, but it wasn't the reason for the INT.

I haven't seen the game, Coogs, but if it's a timing route, if the receiver slips, as much as I think Cassel sucks, you can not put that kind of interception on him.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 09:03 AM
And I am going to throw this nugget out there again today. Matt Leinart is better in the short passing game than Matt Cassel.

Bob Dole
09-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Didn't he throw behind Bowe?

RedThat
09-03-2010, 09:05 AM
It's almost like he's trying to convince himself that he's good.

It's like the battered husband who keeps talking about how great his relationship is.

But then what is he supposed to say?

He sucks. Think about it?

not trying to say you're wrong here, but....he is trying to keep his head high

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 09:06 AM

That will work for a week or 2.

Then defenses will cheat on the short routes and jump the swing passes. You wanna see some pick-sixes? Let's keep doing what we're doing every down.

You can't give NFL defenses only 10 yards of territory to cover, they will absolutely punish you for it. Without the threat of at least an intermediate passing game, the short routes will completely dry up as will a lot of the effectiveness of the running game.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 09:07 AM
I haven't seen the game, Coogs, but if it's a timing route, if the receiver slips, as much as I think Cassel sucks, you can not put that kind of interception on him.

Go here. You can watch and form your own opinion.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010090260/2010/PRE4/packers@chiefs/analyze/box-score#analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay/tab:watch

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 09:07 AM
awww

What does Marcellus have to do with this thread?

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Didn't he throw behind Bowe?

Yes. KaKCManAP even showed a clip of a Florida feed where Cassel tells Bowe "It was my fault"...

He misfired badly on the throw, Bowe slipped trying to recover while reaching across his body to make the catch. A good throw is a 15 yard completion (just like a good throw would've been a TD on the previous drive).

He's just bad.

suds79
09-03-2010, 09:09 AM

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010090260/2010/PRE4/packers@chiefs/analyze/box-score#analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay/tab:watch

While Matt has his good share of really bad passes, I wouldn't classify this as one of them.

Was his pass a little off? Sure. That one wasn't going to his Bowe in the #s. But had Bowe not slipped I think he could have tried to get two hands on it instead of reaching out with one.

Just from what I saw in that video.

the Talking Can
09-03-2010, 09:10 AM

Bowe 'falls down' trying to adjust to a pass thrown behind him and straight to a defender....

that's all cassel

suds79
09-03-2010, 09:10 AM

While Matt has his good share of really bad passes, I wouldn't classify this as one of them.

Was his pass a little off? Sure. That one wasn't going to his Bowe in the #s. But had Bowe not slipped I think he could have tried to get two hands on it instead of reaching out with one.

Just from what I saw in that video. It's hard to tell from what I can see. Did Bowe get a hand on that ball?

RedThat
09-03-2010, 09:11 AM
That will work for a week or 2.

Then defenses will cheat on the short routes and jump the swing passes. You wanna see some pick-sixes? Let's keep doing what we're doing every down.

You can't give NFL defenses only 10 yards of territory to cover, they will absolutely punish you for it. Without the threat of at least an intermediate passing game, the short routes will completely dry up as will a lot of the effectiveness of the running game.

Oh of course, you mix it up. you have to. If you're too predictable out there you'll get outcoached and outsmartened 9x out of 10.

What else could they really do with him? Can't throw deep...eventually they're gonna have to take their chances. there are prolly other ways/tricks Weis is gonna have to pull out of his hat to be creative in order to make things work where he could use Cassel effectively.

Coogs
Bowe 'falls down' trying to adjust to a pass thrown behind him and straight to a defender....

that's all cassel

That's what I saw last night. That's what I see today.

Crush
I don't know why some of you harp on this. Personally, I could give less of a fuck how former Patriots do. It's been well-documented that almost all of them fail miserably, with the exception of Vinatieri. But bitching about the 4th preseason game is pretty much a waste of breath. If, by October, the Chiefs are 1-3 and Cassel has looked like dogshit, I'll be the first to agree that his stats in the 2008 season in New England were a smoke-and-mirrors result of Belichick and the talent around him. But bitching about the guy's performance last season (transitioning to a new team, new HC, new offense, surrounded by mediocre talent) or in preseason is pointless.

He and Haley got their mulligan year. They now have more talent around him. They now have actual O and D coordinators. They now have a year with the offensive system. If Cassel fucks up, it's all on him now.

Honestly? He may not have the natural talents of Peyton Manning, but I think Cassel's got the tools to get the job done. Yeah, he's also got the tools to fuck up miserably and become an NFL footnote. It really could go either way, and either way wouldn't surprise me.

He may not? It is pretty fucking obvious that he doesn't. Both our running game and short passing game is shot from the get go, because teams will put 8 or 9 guys in the box. Why? Because, our so-called franchise QB cannot throw the ball farther than 10 yards. We neglected our defensive front seven in the draft to get Cassel his precious weapons. This neglect will hurt our secondary, possibly one of the best in the league. His mere presence hurts the team.

I really hope Pioli makes the right decision. The guy is a fucking joke and I will be glad when he is no longer the "leader" of my football team.

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 09:12 AM

Just from what I saw in that video.

It looks worse from the iso shot on Bowe. You clearly see him come out of his break, look for the ball, see it is behind him and go to a knee/reach behind him to try to catch it.

The throw was quite bad.

OnTheWarpath15
09-03-2010, 09:12 AM
awww

Naw, JD's pretty balanced (usually) when it comes to Cassel and the Pats.

It's JustPassingGas that is the giant ballwasher.

OnTheWarpath15
09-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Yes. KaKCManAP even showed a clip of a Florida feed where Cassel tells Bowe "It was my fault"...

He misfired badly on the throw, Bowe slipped trying to recover while reaching across his body to make the catch. A good throw is a 15 yard completion (just like a good throw would've been a TD on the previous drive).

He's just bad.

Cassel clearly says "It's my fault" - twice.

Here's the video.. Cassel comes in at about the 1:00 mark.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3HjXfh13hAc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3HjXfh13hAc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DJ's left nut
Oh of course, you mix it up. you have to. If you're too predictable out there you'll get outcoached and outsmartened 9x out of 10.

What else could they really do with him? Can't throw deep...eventually they're gonna have to take their chances. there are prolly other ways/tricks Weis is gonna have to pull out of his hat to be creative in order to make things work where he could use Cassel effectively.

Sit. His. Ass. Down.

He's a backup quarterback that should only play when a starting caliber quarterback is hurt.

Brodie Croyle is likely going to get hurt, but at least play the guy with starting caliber talent first. Give Croyle the reins and when he's hurt, then you play the backup. It's strange to me that we're essentially playing the backup quarterback ahead of the starting caliber guy in order to keep the starting caliber guy from getting hurt.

Only in Kansas City...

RINGLEADER

I'll admit that I don't follow NE football that closely but I seem to remember Brady being thrown into the mix when Bledsoe got injured and then the team stuck with him even after a pissy Bledsoe was finally health (except for a playoff game when Bledsoe came in late and won the game then got demoted again the following week).

But I agree that Cassel could go either way. At this point he seems far from special but it looks like we're going to be a running team anyway so hopefully he doesn't screw up too much and makes a few plays here and there. The hope that he's going to be a top-tier QB is dimming IMO...

Tribal Warfare
He may not? It is pretty fucking obvious that he doesn't. Our running game is shot from the get go, because teams will put 8 or 9 guys in the box. Why? Because, our so-called franchise QB cannot throw the ball farther than 10 yards. We neglected our defensive front seven in the draft to get Cassel his precious weapons. This neglect will hurt our secondary, possibly one of the best in the league. His mere presence hurts the team.

I really hope he gets killed and has to retire on Monday Night, just to force Pioli to make the right decision. The guy is a fucking joke and I will be glad when he is no longer the "leader" of my football team.

Don't wish injuries on anyone it's bad form and bad juju. I rather him play himself out of the position.

milkman
09-03-2010, 09:17 AM

It's hard to relaly tell from that.

Looks like the timing was off on Bowe's part.

I'm recording the game tonight and get back to you when I have a chance to get a good look at it.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 09:17 AM
It's hard to relly tell from that.

I'm recording the game to night and get back to you when I have a chance to get a good look at it.

Fair enough.

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 09:18 AM
HAHA!

I think it was Boal on 810 that just said in regards to Croyle vs. Cassel, that "the only advantage I really see is the quicker release and the stronger arm..."

The fuck?!?!?!

So, Mrs. Lincoln, apart from that, how was the rest of the play?

A quicker release and a stronger arm might be an okay thing to have when your QB is pretty damn terrible.

suds79
Wow in seeing that TV broadcast where they showed Bowe route, I don't think he even got a hand on it.

Looks like he's running a simple hitch and the ball is thrown downfield at least 4-5 yards further right into the CBs hands.

RINGLEADER

I'm recording the game tonight and get back to you when I have a chance to get a good look at it.

Yeah, who knows. Either Bowe ran the wrong route or Cassel threw the ball to the wrong spot. One or the other. Hopefully they learn from it...

58-4ever
09-03-2010, 09:19 AM

Mondays are bad enough already.

Crush
09-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Don't wish injuries on anyone it's bad form and bad juju. I rather him play himself out of the position.

You are absolutely right. However, my hate for Cassel exceeds my previous hate for Greg Robinson. I did not even think that was possible. I have edited my previous comment in an effort to appease the football gods.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 09:23 AM

If you freeze the picture right before the ball gets to where Bowe is, you may see why Bowe did not curl. #29 would have lit him up like nobodys business if he would have turned inside.

RedThat
09-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Sit. His. Ass. Down.

He's a backup quarterback that should only play when a starting caliber quarterback is hurt.

Brodie Croyle is likely going to get hurt, but at least play the guy with starting caliber talent first. Give Croyle the reins and when he's hurt, then you play the backup. It's strange to me that we're essentially playing the backup quarterback ahead of the starting caliber guy in order to keep the starting caliber guy from getting hurt.

Only in Kansas City...

Not. gonna. happen.

And im sorry to say that. I know Chiefs fans don't want him to start. But that's why you root for the guy and hope for the best.

63 million is too much of an investment to go to waste for an organization, that is why I think they are trying to do the best to make him succeed by giving him a lot of tools. And it makes sense. They're trying to make the best out of their investment and trying to profit in return. what if he improves this year? Then what? If he could give some improvement during the course of the season, then does our opinion of him change? Have to give him a chance. If it works, then bonus. If not, move on.

If I could see some improvement in this guy, I'll cut him some slack. 1 year is too early to judge him, this is a position that takes time to learn and understand. He hasn't been anything much thus far, but Im willing to give him time in this new environment of better players and coaches. We have to be patient and try not to over react too much. Jmo.

milkman
09-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Sit. His. Ass. Down.

Only in Kansas City...

Brodie Croyle is not a starting calibre QB.

milkman
09-03-2010, 09:26 AM
I'll admit that I don't follow NE football that closely but I seem to remember Brady being thrown into the mix when Bledsoe got injured and then the team stuck with him even after a pissy Bledsoe was finally health (except for a playoff game when Bledsoe came in late and won the game then got demoted again the following week).

But I agree that Cassel could go either way. At this point he seems far from special but it looks like we're going to be a running team anyway so hopefully he doesn't screw up too much and makes a few plays here and there. The hope that he's going to be a top-tier QB is dimming IMO...

The big difference here is that Brady was good.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Nope. But if short passes are going to be the order of the day... each and everyday, Leinart is the best option of the three.

King_Chief_Fan
09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
I hope Cassel never gets hurt, but I do wish he would throw 5 int each game and no TD's.....surely by game 4 the top would finally blow off.

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Not. gonna. happen.

And im sorry to say that. I know Chiefs fans don't want him to start. But that's why you root for the guy and hope for the best.

63 million is too much of an investment to go to waste, so why not make the best out of your investment if you could get profit in return? what if he improves this year? If he could give some improvement during the course of the season, then does our opinion of him change? Have to give him a chance. If it works, then bonus. If not, move on.

If I could see some improvement in this guy, I'll cut him some slack. 1 year is too early to judge him, this is a position that takes time to learn and understand. He hasn't been anything much thus far, but Im willing to give him time in this new environment of better players and coaches. We have to be patient and try not to over react too much. Jmo.

The money's spent. It's a sunk cost.

Do not exacerbate a problem by making a money decision ahead of a football decision.

milkman
09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Fair enough.

Watching that vid that Path posted, it's pretty clear that Bowe ran a hitch route that Cassel simply missed.

Bowe didn't slip, Cassel simply missed the spot by a good 3 yards.

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 09:30 AM

Maybe, maybe not.

But he has an starting caliber skill-set. As such, he poses a credible threat to defenses that will open the lanes for our running and short passing game.

Even if Croyle doesn't help our passing game significantly, he's not going to hurt our running game significantly like Cassel will.

We're not playing the more talented quarterback because we're afraid he would get hurt, causing us to turn to our less talented backup...who we're going to start instead. It just doesn't make sense.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Watching that vid that Path posted, it's pretty clear that Bowe ran a hitch route that Cassel simply missed.

And Cassel's throw would have lead Bowe into getting his head taken off by #29 if he would have curled.

King_Chief_Fan
09-03-2010, 09:31 AM

Do not exacerbate a problem by making a money decision ahead of a football decision.
:clap:well put

milkman
09-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Not. gonna. happen.

63 million is too much of an investment to go to waste for an organization, that is why I think they are trying to do the best to make him succeed by giving him a lot of tools. And it makes sense. They're trying to make the best out of their investment and trying to profit in return. what if he improves this year? Then what? If he could give some improvement during the course of the season, then does our opinion of him change? Have to give him a chance. If it works, then bonus. If not, move on.

63 mil is not the number the Chiefs care about.

If he sucks and they cut after the season, they won't owe him anything.

milkman
09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Maybe, maybe not.

But he has an starting caliber skill-set. As such, he poses a credible threat to defenses that will open the lanes for our running and short passing game.

Even if Croyle doesn't help our passing game significantly, he's not going to hurt our running game significantly like Cassel will.

We're not playing the more talented quarterback because we're afraid he would get hurt, causing us to turn to our less talented backup...who we're going to start instead. It just doesn't make sense.

I think Croyle is a credible backup, which is more than I can say for Cassel.

RedThat

True.

I agree. But I don't think they think that. Im looking at this thing through the eyes of an owner, if I see myself in the owners chair and invested 63 million dollars into a big part of my team, you sure as hell will see me do the best out of all my will and power to help that guy and make him succeed. I think every owner would do the same.

The Franchise
Looking at the video that OTWP posted.....this is my opinion.

It looked to me like the route was supposed to be your basic curl route. When Bowe turned....he saw the ball going off to his left and tried to adjust.

Looks to me like it's all on Cassel.

Oh yeah....one more thing.

Matt Cassel......get the fuck off of my team.

RedThat
09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
63 mil is not the number the Chiefs care about.

If he sucks and they cut after the season, they won't owe him anything.

Thats a good thing that comes out of this situation I guess.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 09:35 AM
True.

I agree. But I don't think they think that. Im looking at this thing through the eyes of an owner, if I see myself in the owners chair and invested 63 million dollars into a big part of my team, you sure as hell will see me do the best out of all my will and power to help that guy and make him succeed. I think every owner would do the same.

You would think the owner would want butts in the seats.

The Franchise
09-03-2010, 09:38 AM
True.

As an owner....you need to realize when to cut your losses and admit your mistakes. There are always going to be bad FA signings or trades. The good owners know when to cut their losses and admit their mistakes. The bad owners continually try to cover their mistakes up and won't admit shit.

doomy3
09-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I hope Cassel never gets hurt, but I do wish he would throw 5 int each game and no TD's.....surely by game 4 the top would finally blow off.

Wow. That's a smart football fan. Let's all HOPE that he sucks as much as possible so we can just lose games.

doomy3
09-03-2010, 09:43 AM

I would say that it was an option route and they weren't on the same page. Looked to me that one of them read hitch and the other read slant and that's what happened.

RedThat
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
As an owner....you need to realize when to cut your losses and admit your mistakes. There are always going to be bad FA signings or trades. The good owners know when to cut their losses and admit their mistakes. The bad owners continually try to cover their mistakes up and won't admit shit.

If Cassel doesn't prove he can play or at least improve, I think you'll see management and ownership really focusing on our QB situation. And Cassel will be under pressure, Im sure he knows it.

milkman
09-03-2010, 09:47 AM
True.

From an owner's perspective, he's not guaranteed a damn thing after this year.

Cut his ass and move on, and don't waste another fucking penny on his useless ass.

Keep him on the roster, you just throw good money after bad.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I would say that it was an option route and they weren't on the same page. Looked to me that one of them read hitch and the other read slant and that's what happened.

If that is the case, let's examine that a little bit. Bowe sees two defenders to his inside... #29 comming hard to the spot on the curl, so he sits down where it is open. Cassel throws the ball into the defenders. :shrug:

The Franchise
09-03-2010, 09:48 AM
If Cassel doesn't prove he can play or at least improve, I think you'll see management and ownership really focusing on our QB situation. And Cassel will be under pressure, Im sure he knows it.

I've said it before in multiple threads.....but I'll post it here again.

Cassel is going to have to completely shit the bed for the FO to look at getting a different QB. I mean that he's going to have to lose games horribly and he'll more than likely have to get pulled for the Chiefs to give up on him.

If he's mediocre again this year......the blame will land either on the offensive line or the wide receivers.

And if for some reason the FO does decide that Cassel isn't their franchise QB....I see them going after a FA QB next year instead of drafting one.

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Wow. That's a smart football fan. Let's all HOPE that he sucks as much as possible so we can just lose games.

There's something to be said for cutting off a cancerous leg before it rots the entire body.

If my options are that Cassel fails spectacularly for 3 weeks and the experiment is over or that Cassel shows himself to be below average for 16 games and the team continues to languish, I'll take the spectacular failure over the slow bleed every time.

Obviously I'd prefer that he become a guy that puts up a 95 QB rating and a 2.5-1 TD/INT ratio, but that's just not going to happen. So with that in mind, I'll take the supernova over the slow burn.

OnTheWarpath15
09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
If that is the case, let's examine that a little bit. Bowe sees two defenders to his inside... #29 comming hard to the spot on the curl, so he sits down where it is open. Cassel throws the ball into the defenders. :shrug:

No shit.

If Cassel read "slant" there, then get his ass off the fucking field, because he apparently has no idea how to read a defense.

The Franchise
09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
No shit.

If Cassel read "slant" there, then get his ass off the fucking field, because he apparently has no idea how to read a defense.

But he didn't make any errors. :shake:

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 09:50 AM

Very good point.

If it's no option route, WTF did Cassel see that made him believe that curling his WR into 2 defenders as opposed to a stop route in the open zone was the way to go?

So it was either a horrible throw or an even worse read.

There's no defending numb-nuts on this one. Marcellus and others will try, but it's a pretty pathetic front.

RedThat
09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
From an owner's perspective, he's not guaranteed a damn thing after this year.

Cut his ass and move on, and don't waste another ****ing penny on his useless ass.

Keep him on the roster, you just throw good money after bad.

Yup. That is why this year is his make or break year. He either puts up or shutsup. If he sucks, you get rid of him. Simple as that.

If he improves, you ponder the thought of keeping him pending how much he improves or if he convinces fans he could man the job.

It all depends? best thing is to take it in stride. Go about it slowly. If he sucks, you get rid of him and don't lose anything and focus towards the rest of the team improving, and also a draft with good Qb's to look forward to next year.

milkman
09-03-2010, 09:55 AM
....he..... has no idea how to read a defense.

There's a newsflash.

The Franchise
09-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Yup. That is why this year is his make or break year. He either puts up or shutsup. If he sucks, you get rid of him. Simple as that.

If he improves, you ponder the thought of keeping him pending how much he improves or if he convinces fans he could man the job.

It all depends? best thing is to take it in stride. Go about it slowly. If he sucks, you get rid of him and don't lose anything and focus towards the rest of the team improving, and also a draft with good Qb's to look forward to next year.

For him to be worth keeping....he has to improve to a franchise QB level.

I'm talking

Over 3500 yards
Over 25 TDs
Less than 15 INTs
60%+ completion percentage

doomy3
09-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Yes. And that is probably why Cassel said it was his fault. I'm not debating that.

I think it was a read problem. Cassel read it wrong, although he probably could have fit it in there. I don't think it was a problem with the throw, but the read.

doomy3
09-03-2010, 10:04 AM
There's something to be said for cutting off a cancerous leg before it rots the entire body.

If my options are that Cassel fails spectacularly for 3 weeks and the experiment is over or that Cassel shows himself to be below average for 16 games and the team continues to languish, I'll take the spectacular failure over the slow bleed every time.

Obviously I'd prefer that he become a guy that puts up a 95 QB rating and a 2.5-1 TD/INT ratio, but that's just not going to happen. So with that in mind, I'll take the supernova over the slow burn.

Well, we're just not going to agree here. There will never be a scenario where I actively root for a player on this team to fail.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 10:05 AM
For him to be worth keeping....he has to improve to a franchise QB level.

I'm talking

Over 3500 yards
Over 25 TDs
Less than 15 INTs
60%+ completion percentage

At 5 yards a pass, you are talking damn near 44 completions per game to get to 3500 yards. At 60% completion rate, that would take right at 73 passes per game.

The Franchise
09-03-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't think it was a problem with the throw, but the read.

Which makes it equally bad.

The guy can't read a fucking defense to save his life.

RedThat
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Yes. And that is probably why Cassel said it was his fault. I'm not debating that.

I think it was a read problem. Cassel read it wrong, although he probably could have fit it in there. I don't think it was a problem with the throw, but the read.

Yup. I think it was a miscommunication problem and the timing of the route was off between the quarterback and the receiver. Pretty much best explains the bad read. Other than that, Cassel has to learn how to be a little more poised in the pocket. He is too impatient back there at times, and needs to settle down and relax. I think it's little things like that that lead to bad reads and miscommunication.

*Is patience or poise something you can teach in a quarterback? Or is that one of those things you can't teach?

Coogs
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM

Which may be a bigger problem.

And you know, we haven't even gotten in to the miss of a wide open Bowe in the endzone on the first series of the game.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Yup. I think it was a miscommunication problem and the timing of the route was off between the quarterback and the receiver. Pretty much best explains the bad read. Other than that, Cassel has to learn how to be a little more poised in the pocket. He is too impatient back there at times, and needs to settle down and relax. I think it's little things like that that lead to bad reads and miscommunication.

*Is patience or poise something you can teach in a quarterback? Or is that one of those things you can't teach?

I don't think Cassel agrees with you...

“I think I made great strides,” Cassel said. “I was happy to stay healthy throughout the preseason. I feel like throughout the preseason I had great command of the offense and understood what I wanted to do with the ball.”

doomy3
09-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Which makes it equally bad.

The guy can't read a ****ing defense to save his life.

Which may be a bigger problem.

And you know, we haven't even gotten in to the miss of a wide open Bowe in the endzone on the first series of the game.

Who is saying otherwise?

Coogs
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Who is saying otherwise?

OK, just checking. Must just be Cassel saying it.

The Franchise
09-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Who is saying otherwise?

I'm not saying you are. But it is hard to determine what people's opinions are on the matter.....especially around here.

Some people will defend Cassel all the way to the fucking grave.

RealSNR
09-03-2010, 10:15 AM
There was a throw in the 3rd quarter. Two rushers from both sides and the pocket was collapsing up front. The line did a fairly nice job (at least better than usual) giving Croyle about 5 seconds to throw on a blitz. But there was certainly pressure. What did Croyle do? He sat in the pocket, surveyed the field, and hit his target with just enough time. He was poised and confident the entire time even though he knew he was going to get hit. And it was a completion of longer than 10 yards to Jake O'Connell, one of the worst pass catchers on the team. The throw was slightly low, but it was TO THE RECEIVER.

I haven't seen Cassel make a throw like Croyle's all preseason. I rarely saw him make a throw like that in the regular season. He has no poise, no confidence, no awareness in the pocket, and he can't throw worth shit.

He has no tools. Zero. Huard had more natural talent than Cassel.

Why the FUCK would you build your team around a guy like that?

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
There was a throw in the 3rd quarter. Two rushers from both sides and the pocket was collapsing up front. The line did a fairly nice job (at least better than usual) giving Croyle about 5 seconds to throw on a blitz. But there was certainly pressure. What did Croyle do? He sat in the pocket, surveyed the field, and hit his target with just enough time. He was poised and confident the entire time even though he knew he was going to get hit. And it was a completion of longer than 10 yards to Jake O'Connell, one of the worst pass catchers on the team. The throw was slightly low, but it was TO THE RECEIVER.

I haven't seen Cassel make a throw like Croyle's all preseason. I rarely saw him make a throw like that in the regular season. He has no poise, no confidence, no awareness in the pocket, and he can't throw worth shit.

Why the **** would you build your team around a guy like that?

Who did he throw that out route to on his first series? Wasn't it Brokaki? It was a strong throw that just cleared the linebacker and dropped into the TE's hands at the sideline. It was a great throw on a relatively difficult route, but a throw that an NFL QB has to have in his bag.

Cassel doesn't have it.

They kept the wraps on Croyle for most of the night and he STILL looked better than Cassel. Granted, I think I recall 2 throws where he clearly misfired, but he still looked a damn sight better than Cassel.

The Franchise
09-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I really wish that fucking Croyle could stay healthy. I think we wouldn't be worrying about the QB position right now if that was the case.

Fish
09-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Geez dude... if he improves we start pondering? Convincing the fans? What is all this crazytalk?

The NFL doesn't go about anything slowly these days. You win or GTFO. You don't have entire throw away seasons. And you sure as shit don't follow up a throw away season with another year of evaluating the same QB who stunk last year.

Chiefs fans have had it pounded into their heads for too long that they should "Look forward to next year." Fuck that. It's time to change that True Fan™ mantra. We haven't even started the 2010 season. I don't wanna hear shit about looking forward to next year. Show me now. I don't need to see Cassel suck for 8 games this year to be fully completely convinced.

RedThat
09-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Geez dude... if he improves we start pondering? Convincing the fans? What is all this crazytalk?

Well, if he does well, its only natural for people to starting liking him and warming up to the idea of having him as QB.

The NFL doesn't go about anything slowly these days. You win or GTFO. You don't have entire throw away seasons. And you sure as shit don't follow up a throw away season with another year of evaluating the same QB who stunk last year.

I know this is a what have you done for me lately league.

Chiefs fans have had it pounded into their heads for too long that they should "Look forward to next year." **** that. It's time to change that True Fan™ mantra. We haven't even started the 2010 season. I don't wanna hear shit about looking forward to next year. Show me now. I don't need to see Cassel suck for 8 games this year to be fully completely convinced.

Add me as another one thats frustrated. Im waiting and seeing though how he does, thats all I can do and hope for the best. If he sucks, no negative comes out of it. As a team they'll just move on, and hopefully they get a better guy. Thats just reality unfortunately.

The Franchise
09-03-2010, 10:50 AM
What? If he sucks, no negative comes out of it? If he sucks....it proves that Pioli had no clue in evaluating talent in that situation. It also shows that we wasted time and money....which sets this franchise back.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 10:58 AM

So he's either stupid or physically incompetent. Awesome.

Fish
09-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Well, if he does well, its only natural for people to starting liking him and warming up to the idea of having him as QB.

I know this is a what have you done for me lately league.

Add me as another one thats frustrated. Im waiting and seeing though how he does, thats all I can do and hope for the best. If he sucks, no negative comes out of it. As a team they'll just move on, and hopefully they get a better guy. Thats just reality unfortunately.

No negative? WTF? Wasting 2 seasons waiting for a turd to magically turn into gold is not negative for a franchise? Because that's what you'd be doing. How about getting no return for a high second round pick? How about the new WunderGM giving out the highest QB contract in franchise history as his first big move, and completely failing with the choice? How about sacrificing upgrades to other key positions because you have to use draft picks to provide multiple offensive options for your subpar QB to make him look competent?

You really don't see any of that as negative?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Why the FUCK would you build your team around a guy like that?

Because Scott Pioli thinks that he's unlocked the Rosetta Stone to the NFL, and that no personnel people before the New England Patriots of the 2000s had any idea as to what it takes to win.

Turns out, you just need a bunch of guys who really love to play football and are willing to work hard and buy into the organizational propaganda.

To me, that sounds like a great recipe for brown shirts or a high school football team, but it ain't working on this level.

Pioli is a Soviet Premier who has bought in to the cult of personality he fed to the masses to support his own ascendance.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Because Scott Pioli thinks that he's unlocked the Rosetta Stone to the NFL, and that no personnel people before the New England Patriots of the 2000s had any idea as to what it takes to win.

Turns out, you just need a bunch of guys who really love to play football and are willing to work hard and buy into the organizational propaganda.

To me, that sounds like a great recipe for brown shirts or a high school football team, but it ain't working on this level.

Pioli is a Soviet Premier who has bought in to the cult of personality he fed to the masses to support his own ascendance.

I actually think Pioli and Haley are building a pretty fair football team. Unfortunately they have missed on the most important piece. We have a running game that is 2nd to none. But how long will that last? You need to take advantage of it while you have it.

And I am not thinking we need Peyton Manning here to make this thing really work.

Direckshun
09-03-2010, 11:04 AM

This is pretty fucking ridiculous.

You need to take it down a notch.

FAX
09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
For the sake of Jesus, Mary, and Hundreds Of Bald Planeteer Pates Shining In The Sun.

The Pioli rhetoric just achieved a new low. I didn't think it was possible. "Brown Shirts"? "Soviet Premier"? ROFL

FAX

teedubya
09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't know why some of you harp on this. Personally, I could give less of a **** how former Patriots do. It's been well-documented that almost all of them fail miserably, with the exception of Vinatieri. But bitching about the 4th preseason game is pretty much a waste of breath. If, by October, the Chiefs are 1-3 and Cassel has looked like dogshit, I'll be the first to agree that his stats in the 2008 season in New England were a smoke-and-mirrors result of Belichick and the talent around him. But bitching about the guy's performance last season (transitioning to a new team, new HC, new offense, surrounded by mediocre talent) or in preseason is pointless.

He and Haley got their mulligan year. They now have more talent around him. They now have actual O and D coordinators. They now have a year with the offensive system. If Cassel ****s up, it's all on him now.

Honestly? He may not have the natural talents of Peyton Manning, but I think Cassel's got the tools to get the job done. Yeah, he's also got the tools to **** up miserably and become an NFL footnote. It really could go either way, and either way wouldn't surprise me.

And I'm gonna write FIVE paragraphs telling you how little I give a fuck. Cuz I DON'T GIVE A FUCK, Okay guys?

Direckshun
09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
For the sake of Jesus, Mary, and Hundreds Of Bald Planeteer Pates Shining In The Sun.

The Pioli rhetoric just achieved a new low. I didn't think it was possible. "Brown Shirts"? "Soviet Premier"? ROFL

No shit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 11:11 AM
This is pretty fucking ridiculous.

You need to take it down a notch.

It's the same kind of crap in a different package.

"Right 53", "A Process", it's all about creating an aura of bullshit that masks the stink of reality.

FAX
09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
It may yet come to this ... but, personally, I think we can hold back on the whole "Soviet Premier, Brown Shirt" thing until Pioli starts rounding up Red Coaters and sending them via train to the new Joplin Gulag.

FAX

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Analogies are not doppelgangers.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
“Why I feel so good about Matt, I see him every day,” Haley says. “I see how hard he works. I see how his teammates respond to him in a day-in and day-out basis. He’s slowly but surely becoming a leader of this team.”

Does this quote seem quite a bit like Wies's take from back in the spring to you?

Wies... What do I like about Cassel? Well, he is on our team, that is what I like about him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
It seems like someone talking themselves into the fit of a pair of Bad Idea jeans.

Yeah, he works hard, he loves the game. That's great. So do a huge portion of high schoolers.

Matt Cassel looks like a starting QB in every facet until he actually sets foot on a football field.

Unfortunately, that's the only part that matters, and it's the part that he doesn't have.

Titty Meat
09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Cassel has brought out the OCD in many on here.

tk13
09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
The mistake Pioli made is talking to the media about this stuff. The Right 53 is a cross he will be nailed onto by his detractors should he fail.

But, there is plenty of merit to what he's saying. It doesn't mean you need to have a bunch of model citizens having a campfire singalong... but the organizations that are truly, consistently successful do a lot of the things he preaches. They just don't go to the media with catchphrases like the right 53.

Teams like NE, Indy, Philly, and Pittsburgh have been the teams in the mix every year for the past decade. And of course talent evaluation has a lot to do with that. But everyone of those teams is a dictatorship that will put talented players on the street if they don't tow the line, or even if they get too old. It's the same crap Pioli wants to do... you just don't see Bill Polian on TV talking about it.

Teams like SD and Dallas have been just as good at talent evaluation but they just don't have that kind of discipline and leadership. I'm sure we could find exceptions... there always is.... but I think the 3-4 teams who are always there are all practically dictatorships where you have to buy in to the "philosophy" management preaches.

milkman
09-03-2010, 11:45 AM
The mistake Pioli made is talking to the media about this stuff. The Right 53 is a cross he will be nailed onto by his detractors should he fail.

But, there is plenty of merit to what he's saying. It doesn't mean you need to have a bunch of model citizens having a campfire singalong... but the organizations that are truly, consistently successful do a lot of the things he preaches. They just don't go to the media with catchphrases like the right 53.

Teams like NE, Indy, Philly, and Pittsburgh have been the teams in the mix every year for the past decade. And of course talent evaluation has a lot to do with that. But everyone of those teams is a dictatorship that will put talented players on the street if they don't tow the line, or even if they get too old. You just don't see Bill Polian on TV talking about it.

Teams like SD and Dallas have been just as good at talent evaluation but they just don't have that kind of discipline and leadership. I'm sure we could find exceptions... there always is.... but I think the 3-4 teams who are always there are all practically dictatorships where you have to buy in to the "philosophy" management preaches.

I don't have a problem with the idea of fielding a team of character.

As a matter of fact, I support it fully.

The problem is, the "Right 53" didn't appear to actually include talent last year.

The '09 offseason might be the worst I've ever seen for the Chiefs.

tk13
09-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't have a problem with the idea of fielding a team of character.

As a matter of fact, I support it fully.

The problem is, the "Right 53" didn't appear to actually include talent last year.

The '09 offseason might be the worst I've ever seen for the Chiefs.

No, I agree. That's my point. If he fails it'll be inability to require talent. I was referring to everyone railing on the right 53, there's really nothing wrong with that.

But I don't believe that Pioli really thinks he can take 53 guys who all like each other and drink the Kool Aid and produce a team. I think that's a bit naive. Talent evaluation is obviously a huge part of building a team. It just has to fit into what he wants to build. But that's no different than Polian, Belichick, Reid, any of those guys...

I should add that I think ChiefsPlanet historically has been, very, very naive in terms of taking coaching and GM comments at face value. We used to have knock down drag out fights over the simplest stuff Vermeil said. I don't think most of these guys really care about what they say to the media... just spew out the proper soundbites and be on your way. Meanwhile everyone here takes it as the gospel.

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 11:50 AM

Teams like NE, Indy, Philly, and Pittsburgh have been the teams in the mix every year for the past decade. And of course talent evaluation has a lot to do with that. But everyone of those teams is a dictatorship that will put talented players on the street if they don't tow the line, or even if they get too old. It's the same crap Pioli wants to do... you just don't see Bill Polian on TV talking about it.

No, the 'problem' isn't that he talked about it, but that he appears to believe the shit he's selling.

Filling a team full of scrappers and team captains, 'right 53 or no', is going to get your ass kicked.

the Talking Can
09-03-2010, 11:52 AM
imagine if you met 53 Mazlowski's

tk13
09-03-2010, 11:57 AM
No, the 'problem' isn't that he talked about it, but that he appears to believe the shit he's selling.

Filling a team full of scrappers and team captains, 'right 53 or no', is going to get your ass kicked.

Once again, you're absolutely right.

But that's not what he did. He went and drafted the best playmaking safety in the draft, bypassed several other guys to draft what may appear to be the two most dynamic players in the 2nd round, and instead of playing it safe went and got a TE with an injury history who can be a real weapon when healthy.

If he spends the next 5 years drafting Tyson Jackson every pick, I'll agree with you. But right now it's a mixed bag... one terrible offseason, and at least he (unlike most GM's) appeared to learn from that and tried to add some serious playmaking ability to the team. The fact that they were team captains is great, but that's exactly what I mean... it's getting too caught up in some throwaway line to the media. I don't see anything about this past offseason that makes it look like he added a bunch of scrappy team captains with no real football talent.

ChiefsLV
09-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Simply not accurate enough to be an NFL starter. End of story. He'll be gone after this season IMO.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I really don't have a problem with the "right 53" thing. I do think though that the message they are selling the players may start to fall on deaf ears if they do not do apply to the QB position like they do at evey other postion on the team.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I really don't have a problem with the "right 53" thing. I do think though that the message they are selling the players may start to fall on deaf ears if they do not do apply to the QB position like they do at evey other postion on the team.

Last season, they didn't apply it to G, T, DE, ILB, S, WR, or RB, so why would they do it with QB?

Chiefnj2
09-03-2010, 12:29 PM

You don't apply that rule to QB. QB you pick the player, support him and try to get the team to rally around him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 01:04 PM

ROFL

Who is this bold, daring Mellinger fellow?

Tribal Warfare
09-03-2010, 01:06 PM
You don't apply that rule to QB. QB you pick the player, support him and try to get the team to rally around him.

group circle jerks doesn't help accuracy and efficiency in general.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I really wish that fucking Croyle could stay healthy. I think we wouldn't be worrying about the QB position right now if that was the case.

I felt he did pretty good once he got in to a groove.

FAX
09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
There's something else The Premier and his Vice-Chancellor of Wind Sprints seem to believe that is somewhat new to our beloved Chiefs ... the whole idea of "developing" young players.

In years past, we have either proven either unable or inept at player development. If a guy came to the club with fabulous talent (ala a Gonzo) we reaped the benefit, but we were absolutely horrible at taking players with marginal talent and turning them into consistent contributors.

Personally, I think it's possible that's one of the reasons people are tending to overheat and scream the somewhat vacuous rhetoric about our "scrubs" and our "crappy picks" and the "Right 53" ... I don't think we're accustomed to seeing the franchise being built from the ground up with young, developing players.

FAX

B_Ambuehl
09-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Non-football people thrown into high positions in a front office tend to create a lot of theories about what it takes to build a team that sound impressive to some but add up to little more than bullshit where it counts.

You don't see guys like Ozzie Newsome and AJ Smith throwing out all kinds of rhetoric about "right 53", "the process" etc.

Football is a very simple game best left to football men not theoreticians.

If Marty would have been hired as GM I have no doubt this team would be significantly further along then they are now - not that he'd be perfect, but there's no doubt Marty is a football man.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Non-football people thrown into high positions in a front office tend to create a lot of theories about what it takes to build a team that sound impressive to some but add up to little more than bullshit where it counts.

You don't see guys like Ozzie Newsome and AJ Smith throwing out all kinds of rhetoric about "right 53", "the process" etc.

Football is a very simple game best left to football men not theoreticians.

If Marty would have been hired as GM I have no doubt this team would be significantly further along then they are now - not that he'd be perfect, but there's no doubt Marty is a football man.

:popcorn:

Brock
09-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Probably true, if you could keep him from filling the coaching staff with relatives.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Probably true, if you could keep him from filling the coaching staff with relatives.

Impossible

orange
09-03-2010, 02:13 PM
You can’t judge an artist working on an Etch A Sketch.

http://drawn.ca/wordpress/wp-content/images/etchasketch.jpg

B_Ambuehl
09-03-2010, 04:02 PM

True, but I still think I'd rather have a coaching staff full of Schottenheimers than a coaching staff and roster full of former Belichik ballwashers.

Coogs
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM

OK, I just re-watched the play on Tivo 5 times. And after the TV timeout, they reshow the play with the focus on Bowe. There was no slip. None. Even when Bowe lunged for the ball, his feet never did slip.

Tribal Warfare
09-03-2010, 05:13 PM
OK, I just re-watched the play on Tivo 5 times. And after the TV timeout, they reshow the play with the focus on Bowe. There was no slip. None. Even when Bowe lunged for the ball, his feet never did slip.

Cassel threw the ball to the wrong shoulder and was horribly off.

Reaper16
09-03-2010, 05:17 PM
http://drawn.ca/wordpress/wp-content/images/etchasketch.jpg
And? That's a good-ass Etch-A-Sketch piece but it is hardly an example of good art.

crossbow
09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Lets assume the Chiefs can see the obvious and dump Cassel after the season. If they pass on drafting a QB and trade picks for another backup guy then there will be a mushroom cloud the size of Nebraska over CP. The idea of "building a team with young promising players" will be exposed and comrade Pioli will have zero credibility in this town. Then the working class will riot and overthrow the ruling czar.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Lets assume the Chiefs can see the obvious and dump Cassel after the season. If they pass on drafting a QB and trade picks for another backup guy then there will be a mushroom cloud the size of Nebraska over CP. The idea of "building a team with young promising players" will be exposed and comrade Pioli will have zero credibility in this town. Then the working class will riot and overthrow the ruling czar.

ROFL

Hammock Parties
09-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I am gonna read the fuck out of this thread, but I just wanted to say fuck Sam Mellinger.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I am gonna read the fuck out of this thread, but I just wanted to say fuck Sam Mellinger.

Theft?

By the by, cover your eyes when you get to "Red That"'s posts.

Oy...

Hammock Parties
09-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Theft?

Nothing so controversial.

I just think he sucks, is boring, and I hate reading him instead of feasting on delicious Whitlockisms.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Nothing so controversial.

I just think he sucks, is boring, and I hate reading him instead of feasting on delicious Whitlockisms.

:( No shit. A sad, sad fucking day when he left KC again.

09-03-2010, 09:58 PM

I think a lot of you expected him to walk in and look like Peyton Manning.
WTF

Who thought that? Most of us didn't even want his sorry ass.:shake:

RealSNR
09-03-2010, 10:02 PM
By the way, I've been really impressed with Jevon Belcher and Pierre Walters. Both of those guys are far more valuable than any player we actually spent a pick on in 2009 (outside of Succop)

Red Dawg
09-04-2010, 10:15 AM
31 games since high school say it all. I like Cassel but Scott jumped the gun big time to give him that contract. It shouild have 1 or 2 years to see if he was really worth it.