PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Last Night's Game

gblowfish
09-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Ten Things About Last Night's Game

10. The bad thing about having a game on Thursday night is, it's hard to find time on a work day Friday to really sit back and do some in-depth, well researched insightful thinking about the conclusion of pre-season and the pending home opener ten days from now. So now that its the morning after, I'm at work and don't have a lot of time. I guess I'll have to make some sketchy, shallow, poorly considered off the cuff remarks about last night's game in general. Woah! Hey, no problem, that's right in my wheelhouse!

9. The fourth exhibition game is the poster child for why four exhibition games are two too many. This was a throw away game for Green Bay, as it was for many of the upper-tier teams across the league. It wasn't important enough for Green Bay, or many other competing teams, to risk injury to their skill position starters the week before the real games begin. Still, season ticket holders are forced to pay full boat to watch. That's a rip-off, no matter how you slice it. Last night it rained on the tailgaters just enough to give the charcoal a good soaking, then by game time it was dry and cool. Perfect weather, although the field was just a touch soggy. Announced attendance was just under 64,000. Lower bowl looked pretty full except for the end zone corners, upstairs was still pretty sparse. I think the MNF game may be the only sell out this year. We could see a blackout on 1/2 vs. Oakland. When was the last time a Chiefs/Raiders game was blacked out in KC? Got to be more than 20 years ago. It could very well happen. It wouldn't surprise me if more than half the home games are blacked out this season.

8. You can't take a whole lot away from this game, since we didn't see the real Packers. We did see KC"s real first string offense, and Cassel, well, he looked like Cassel. I'm afraid he's going to be a slow starter in every game. He doesn't seem to get into the game flow until after about the third or fourth series. Stats are 4 of 9 for 58 yards -Bowe got 30 of that as YAK after a 6 yard pass-, 1 TD and 1 pick. KC fans have been notoriously rough on starting QBs. Dawson got booed during his last days. They're going to be watching Cassel's every move with a hyper critical eye. But is Cassel among the top half of starting QBs in the NFL? I don't think so. You can maybe name four or five guys that he's clearly better than, but not many more than that. The Chiefs have a long way to go to just get to mediocre, remember, we only won four games last year, and that's twice as many as the year before. You've got a much better chance of contending if you have a stud QB. And as we've said time and time before, the Chiefs have never drafted and brought up their own stud starting QB. Starters have always come here from somewhere else. Weird, but that's just the way it is. Right now, Cassel just doesn't look the part. Not even close.

7. I've been very pleased with the progress the defense has shown this year. Yeah, the defensive line has underachieved. But the linebackers have been (on the whole) better, and the defensive secondary has been a whole bunch better. No more Mike Browns or Ty Laws or Ray Crocketts or other re-treads in the secondary. I think we'll still have a hard time stopping the run against some teams. Atlanta ran the ball great against us in week one, but hopefully Romeo has been able to get some adjustments in place. I just think we'll be harder to drive on this year, and with better special teams play, should win the field position battle in lots of our games this year.

6. On offense, we can really run the ball. Last night Chiefs averaged 4.5 yards per carry, and that's including Jeremy Horne's minus 12 on a blown end around. We've got two backs who can make a third and one -Jones and Battle-, two backs who can turn the corner -Charles and McCluster- and McCluster can run the Wildcat if needed. So for the running game that's excellent balance. I really liked the pitch out to McCluster last night around left end. Nice play, good mis-direction. The kid could be another Devin Hester.

5. Cassel did throw one ball deep last night, but it was not even close to a completion. He still has yet to show us this year that he can hit a pass (not counting YAK) over 20 yards. We've got speed guys in McCluster and in Horne who can get deep, but can Cassel get the ball in their zip code? Bowe looked OK again last night. His all business attitude on the field is much improved, hope he keeps it up. He did have a foul up with Cassel on the interception. He broke one way, ball was delivered the other way. Not sure if he ran the wrong route, or Cassel just threw to the wrong spot. That's going to happen, just part of the passing game.

4. Todd Haley looks much healthier this year. Last year after he dumped Chan Gailey and went all Wiyle E. Coyote on everybody, he was running on three hours sleep and got real big raccoon circles under his eyes, and looked dead on his feet the whole season. This year, he has top notch, experienced coordinators, and he just looks to be in much better shape mentally and physically. Hopefuly that will mean he'll improve as a head coach and be better prepared (and better rested) for each game. None of us work very well when sleep deprived and stressed out. Haley was a rookie coach last year, and like all rookies, he'll get better with experience. I just hope we don't get off to a lousy start like we did last season.

3. I think the only "sleeper" to make the team this year will be Jeremy Horne. His botched reverse didn't help his cause last night, but that's just one play. Greenwood played pretty well on special teams last night, but I think he's practice squad material. Our third string defensive backs just suck out loud. We were in danger of blowing the game in the fourth quarter (just like last week vs Philly) but were able to get a stop at the very end this time. I also think Pioli will be all over the waiver wire. The really good teams will cut some guys who would be quality second stringers for this team, and every chance to improve the 53 should be taken.

2. What's going to happen to Jarrad Page? Does he sit out the entire year, or is there a last minute trade? Or does Pioli just cut him outright? Page didn't do himself any favors by missing all of pre-season. I think this is also a shot across the bow to the rest of the players that Pioli and Co. ain't taking any grief from anybody. I think next year's collective bargaining stuff could be ugly. But that's another conversation for another day. Let's get through this year first.

1. Last year in regular season the Chiefs lost three out of every four games they played. This year in pre-season the Chiefs lost three out of every four games they played. So are we seeing progress? Generally yes, but not enough to be excited or think that the corner is going to be turned just yet. I'll bet we'll win five or six games this year, and if we get more than that, it will be a pleasant surprise. Remember, it took Marty two years to get the Chiefs turned around following the Frank Gansz era. I think of the games we lose, they'll only be a few where we get blown out. I think we'll have a chance in most of the games we play. The defense will be better, but Cassel isn't good enough to will the team to victory and score that extra TD or two you need to get over the hump. And who knows what the injury situation will be for us, and for all the other teams in the AFC West? Don't expect a lot this year, and you won't come away disappointed.

Now, bring on those Bolts!

Direckshun
09-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Great takes.

Horne makes the team.

The end around doesn't hurt him at all. You just tell him to never do that again, problem solved. We have no one with his speed.

Direckshun
09-03-2010, 09:39 AM
By the way, you didn't mention this, but we had three decent-to-good TEs last night. The first time we've ever had that for... I don't know, ever?

Pope with the TD pass and good blocking.
Moeaki with a good reception.
O'Connell tearing up the backups and sitting down in zones.

It's getting there... it's a work in progress...

Direckshun
09-03-2010, 09:41 AM
And by the way, I think it's really impressive the way Pioli and Haley have enforced their culture on the rest of the team. Their bootcamp ways simply weren't going to work with the more laxadaisical Herm Edwards team.

But getting smarter, physically astounding players, and shutting down everyone's personality off the field, and a bunch of team captains... that's a good philosophy. Not executed perfectly, but we can start seeing that the first year was literally just smashing the foundation. This year we're actually starting to build...

Deberg_1990
09-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Announced attendance was just under 64,000. Hilarious...ill bet it wasnt even close to that.

Remember, it took Marty two years to get the Chiefs turned around following the Frank Gansz era.

huh? Marty won 19 games his first two years and a playoff appearance with a brokedown aging QB.

Haley wont even come close to that.

The Franchise
09-03-2010, 09:42 AM
FYI. We didn't dump Cam Cameron. We dumped Chan Gailey.

Other than that......awesome job.

Direckshun
09-03-2010, 09:43 AM
AND ANOTHER THING

lol

sorry

But seriously, another thing. This team does the smaller things so much better than Herm's teams ever did. Everybody blocks: wide receivers downfield, running backs on blitz pickups, Greenwood on that great special teams play, McCluster even tried on Horne's blown end around. That speaks to genuinely superior coaching.

Our special teams play, even without considering the returners, is superb. We cover everything, and everyone stays in their lanes. We don't exactly have stud 3rd stringers, either, so the fact we can pull this off really speaks to our special teams coaches.

gblowfish
09-03-2010, 09:45 AM
FYI. We didn't dump Cam Cameron. We dumped Chan Gailey.

Other than that......awesome job.

Right you are. I need a copy editor!

Marty went 8-7-1 his first year as Chiefs head coach, 11-5 the year after. That's two years to get the team back in the playoffs. That's what I meant by a two year turnaround. Yes, Haley won't come close to that. Few coaches could. No doubt Marty was one of the best regular season coaches ever, and one of the worst post season coaches ever.

The Elder
09-03-2010, 09:51 AM
The one thing that I have noticed that is a really huge positive for this team is tackling. In the last 4 years howmany times did we see missed tackles and no one wrapping anyone up. This has really changed. They are hitting and really hanging on

the Talking Can
09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
haven't even read the thread yet, but glad to see it

gblowfish
09-03-2010, 09:55 AM
The one thing that I have noticed that is a really huge positive for this team is tackling. In the last 4 years howmany times did we see missed tackles and no one wrapping anyone up. This has really changed. They are hitting and really hanging on

Eric Berry is an excellent open field tackler. He closed on a tight end on third down last night and stopped him cold, a yard short of a first down. That's exactly what we were missing from the safety position last year. Very encouraging sign.

the Talking Can
09-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Todd Haley looks much healthier this year. Last year after he dumped Chan Gailey and went all Wiyle E. Coyote on everybody

nice

RedThat
09-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Eric Berry is an excellent open field tackler. He closed on a tight end on third down last night and stopped him cold, a yard short of a first down. That's exactly what we were missing from the safety position last year. Very encouraging sign.

Definately. He plays w/ great speed does he?

He adds more speed to the defense as well and I noticed he is good at anticipating a play and executing/dissecting that play on time.

His read and reaction skills are good. What impresses me is the way he closes in on angles and shuts down holes.

Psyko Tek
09-03-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm gonna miss batshit crazy Hailey

tell me he still yells and swears

I like a coach that has passion

gblowfish
09-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm gonna miss batshit crazy Hailey

tell me he still yells and swears

I like a coach that has passion

He still has passion, that's never going to be a problem with this guy. I think the powers that be have tried to calm down the histrionics, the same way that somebody's been in Bowe's ear to shelve the "Bowe Show." Good move for both guys.

milkman
09-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Right you are. I need a copy editor!

Marty went 8-7-1 his first year as Chiefs head coach, 11-5 the year after. That's two years to get the team back in the playoffs. That's what I meant by a two year turnaround. Yes, Haley won't come close to that. Few coaches could. No doubt Marty was one of the best regular season coaches ever, and one of the worst post season coaches ever.

Marty had far more talent on that Cheifs team to start with than Haley had with this team.

Much of the team that Marty took to the playoffs in his second season were players that Jack Steadman drafted before Carl took the reins.

This is not only a teastament to how good Marty was as a regular season coach, it's further illustrates how much Frank Ganz sucked.

Let's not forget that John Mackovic got the Chiefs got the playoffs before be fired in favor of Ganz.

gblowfish
09-03-2010, 10:43 AM
You could argue that Frank Gansz was more responsible for getting KC into the playoffs than Mackovic was -special teams were a monster that year- (ergo the coaching change) but when the inmates run the asylum, disaster is sure to follow.

milkman
09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
You could argue that Frank Gansz was more responsible for getting KC into the playoffs than Mackovic was -special teams were a monster that year- (ergo the coaching change) but when the inmates run the asylum, disaster is sure to follow.

I won't argue that point.

However, one aspect of good coaching is surrounding yourself with quality people.

And with that point, one has to like what Haley has surrounded himself with.

Deberg_1990
09-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Marty had far more talent on that Cheifs team to start with than Haley had with this team.

Much of the team that Marty took to the playoffs in his second season were players that Jack Steadman drafted before Carl took the reins.

This is not only a teastament to how good Marty was as a regular season coach, it's further illustrates how much Frank Ganz sucked.

Let's not forget that John Mackovic got the Chiefs got the playoffs before be fired in favor of Ganz.

yep..very true. Ive thought the same thing for awhile now. Those early marty teams were stocked with good talent left over from the 80's.

Bump
09-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Ten Things About Last Night's Game

10. The bad thing about having a game on Thursday night is, it's hard to find time on a work day Friday to really sit back and do some in-depth, well researched insightful thinking about the conclusion of pre-season and the pending home opener ten days from now. So now that it's the morning after, I'm at work and don't have a lot of time. I guess I'll have to make some sketchy, shallow, poorly considered off the cuff remarks about last night's game in general. Woah! Hey, no problem, that's right in my wheelhouse!

9. The fourth exhibition game is the poster child for why four exhibition games are two too many. This was a throw away game for Green Bay, as it was for many of the upper-tier teams across the league. It wasn't important enough for Green Bay, or many other competing teams, to risk injury to their skill position starters the week before the real games begin. Still, season ticket holders are forced to pay full boat to watch. That's a rip-off, no matter how you slice it. Last night it rained on the tailgaters just enough to give the charcoal a good soaking, then by game time it was dry and cool. Perfect weather, although the field was just a touch soggy. Announced attendance was just under 64,000. Lower bowl looked pretty full except for the end zone corners, upstairs was still pretty sparse. I think the MNF game may be the only sell out this year. We could see a blackout on 1/2 vs. Oakland. When was the last time a Chiefs/Raiders game was blacked out in KC? Got to be more than 20 years ago. It could very well happen. It wouldn't surprise me if more than half the home games are blacked out this season.

8. You can't take a whole lot away from this game, since we didn't see the real Packers. We did see KC"s real first string offense, and Cassel, well, he looked like Cassel. I'm afraid he's going to be a slow starter in every game. He doesn't seem to get into the game flow until after about the third or fourth series. Stats are 4 of 9 for 58 yards -Bowe got 30 of that as YAK after a 6 yard pass-, 1 TD and 1 pick. KC fans have been notoriously rough on starting QBs. Dawson got booed during his last days. They're going to be watching Cassel's every move with a hyper critical eye. But is Cassel among the top half of starting QBs in the NFL? I don't think so. You can maybe name four or five guys that he's clearly better than, but not many more than that. The Chiefs have a long way to go to just get to mediocre, remember, we only won four games last year, and that's twice as many as the year before. You've got a much better chance of contending if you have a stud QB. And as we've said time and time before, the Chiefs have never drafted and brought up their own stud starting QB. Starters have always come here from somewhere else. Weird, but that's just the way it is. Right now, Cassel just doesn't look the part. Not even close.

7. I've been very pleased with the progress the defense has shown this year. Yeah, the defensive line has underachieved. But the linebackers have been (on the whole) better, and the defensive secondary has been a whole bunch better. No more Mike Browns or Ty Laws or Ray Crocketts or other re-treads in the secondary. I think we'll still have a hard time stopping the run against some teams. Atlanta ran the ball great against us in week one, but hopefully Romeo has been able to get some adjustments in place. I just think we'll be harder to drive on this year, and with better special teams play, should win the field position battle in lots of our games this year.

6. On offense, we can really run the ball. Last night Chiefs averaged 4.5 yards per carry, and that's including Jeremy Horne's minus 12 on a blown end around. We've got two backs who can make a third and one -Jones and Battle-, two backs who can turn the corner -Charles and McCluster- and McCluster can run the Wildcat if needed. So for the running game that's excellent balance. I really liked the pitch out to McCluster last night around left end. Nice play, good mis-direction. The kid could be another Devin Hester.

5. Cassel did throw one ball deep last night, but it was not even close to a completion. He still has yet to show us this year that he can hit a pass (not counting YAK) over 20 yards. We've got speed guys in McCluster and in Horne who can get deep, but can Cassel get the ball in their zip code? Bowe looked OK again last night. His all business attitude on the field is much improved, hope he keeps it up. He did have a foul up with Cassel on the interception. He broke one way, ball was delivered the other way. Not sure if he ran the wrong route, or Cassel just threw to the wrong spot. That's going to happen, just part of the passing game.

4. Todd Haley looks much healthier this year. Last year after he dumped Chan Gailey and went all Wile E. Coyote on everybody, he was running on three hours sleep and got real big raccoon circles under his eyes, and looked dead on his feet the whole season. This year, he has top-notch, experienced coordinators, and he just looks to be in much better shape mentally and physically. Hopefully that will mean he'll improve as a head coach and be better prepared (and better rested) for each game. None of us work very well when sleep deprived and stressed out. Haley was a rookie coach last year, and like all rookies, he'll get better with experience. I just hope we don't get off to a lousy start like we did last season.

3. I think the only "sleeper" to make the team this year will be Jeremy Horne. His botched reverse didn't help his cause last night, but that's just one play. Greenwood played pretty well on special teams last night, but I think he's practice squad material. Our third string defensive backs just suck out loud. We were in danger of blowing the game in the fourth quarter (just like last week vs Philly) but were able to get a stop at the very end this time. I also think Pioli will be all over the waiver wire. The really good teams will cut some guys who would be quality second stringers for this team, and every chance to improve the 53 should be taken.

2. What's going to happen to Jarrad Page? Does he sit out the entire year, or is there a last-minute trade? Or does Pioli just cut him outright? Page didn't do himself any favors by missing all of pre-season. I think this is also a shot across the bow to the rest of the players that Pioli and Co. ain't taking any grief from anybody. I think next year's collective bargaining stuff could be ugly. But that's another conversation for another day. Let's get through this year first.

1. Last year in regular season the Chiefs lost three out of every four games they played. This year in pre-season the Chiefs lost three out of every four games they played. So are we seeing progress? Generally yes, but not enough to be excited or think that the corner is going to be turned just yet. I'll bet we'll win five or six games this year, and if we get more than that, it will be a pleasant surprise. Remember, it took Marty two years to get the Chiefs turned around following the Frank Gansz era. I think of the games we lose, they'll only be a few where we get blown out. I think we'll have a chance in most of the games we play. The defense will be better, but Cassel isn't good enough to will the team to victory and score that extra TD or two you need to get over the hump. And who knows what the injury situation will be for us, and for all the other teams in the AFC West? Don't expect a lot this year, and you won't come away disappointed.

Now, bring on those Bolts!

fyp

Mr. Laz
09-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Cassel did throw one ball deep last night, but it was not even close to a completion.
not defending cassel at all, but bowe about 6 inches from getting his feet in bounds on the endzone pass to bowe and the other pass went right between bowe's fingers.

just sayin' :shrug:

the Talking Can
09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
not defending cassel at all, but bowe about 6 inches from getting his feet in bounds on the endzone pass to bowe and the other pass went right between bowe's fingers.

bowe stretched his full body length and still couldn't catch the ball in bounds

that's how far out of bounds it was thrown....and Bowe wasn't draped in coverage

it's the very definition of inaccurate

Mr. Laz
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
bowe stretched his full body length and still couldn't catch the ball in bounds

that's how far out of bounds it was thrown....and Bowe wasn't draped in coverage

it's the very definition of inaccurate
i'm not getting into another cassel fight ... he said it wasn't even close and it was very close.

Demonpenz
09-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Cassels ball just curves towards the goalposts.

the Talking Can
09-03-2010, 11:35 AM
i'm not getting into another cassel fight ... he said it wasn't even close and it was very close.

6 and a half feet from the out of bounds line to a wide open WR is close?

fucking hilarious

gblowfish
09-03-2010, 11:36 AM
fyp

Spel Chek iz Fur Puzies.

Mr. Laz
09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
6 and a half feet from the out of bounds line to a wide open WR is close?

fucking hilarious
and you're trying to make the argument about something else

both passes were within inches of completion

all the other stuff is just you wanting to bitch about cassel

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I hope Jackie Bates sneaks onto the squad.

He's been the only of the JV secondary guys to make an impression on me. He's a far far better alternative than Mike Richardson, that's for damn sure.

KCUnited
09-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I was at the game last night, Cassel went into a slide when the fireworks went off during "the rockets red glare" part of the National Anthem.

DJ's left nut
09-03-2010, 11:48 AM

He was talking about the bullet he threw to Bowe that never had a chance to be a completion because you can't throw a deep pass on a line to a covered WR and Cassel doesn't have the arm strength to put any loft on it and still get it that far. There was no way that ball was ever going to be caught and it was easily defended by the DB.

The Bowe sideline pass isn't considered a deep ball for any QB other than Admiral Checkdown, so I can understand your confusion.

Buehler445
09-03-2010, 12:10 PM
AND ANOTHER THING

lol

sorry

But seriously, another thing. This team does the smaller things so much better than Herm's teams ever did. Everybody blocks: wide receivers downfield, running backs on blitz pickups, Greenwood on that great special teams play, McCluster even tried on Horne's blown end around. That speaks to genuinely superior coaching.

Our special teams play, even without considering the returners, is superb. We cover everything, and everyone stays in their lanes. We don't exactly have stud 3rd stringers, either, so the fact we can pull this off really speaks to our special teams coaches.

This is fucking fantastic. It would hurt my SOUL to watch Herm's teams. Control the things we can control, all while working on getting more talent. Let's do it.

Great takes.

Horne makes the team.

The end around doesn't hurt him at all. You just tell him to never do that again, problem solved. We have no one with his speed.

I hope you're right. We need to hit on some overlooked guys. We just have to. It's not a matter of "pulling for the underdog". It is just hoping on hope we get some cheap good talent. The talent has to come from somewhere.

Bwana
09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Great read George.

Tytanium
09-03-2010, 01:22 PM

I could have sworn he stopped him for a loss. Either way, I would not be in the least bit surprised if he gets DROTY.

gblowfish
09-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Pictures from last night's game from the KC Star's Website:
http://tinyurl.com/2as3g4n

gblowfish
09-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Geez, what got up that Chick's ass in the center???

gblowfish
09-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I could have sworn he stopped him for a loss. Either way, I would not be in the least bit surprised if he gets DROTY.

The Star had a picture of that tackle:

mikey23545
09-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Geez, what got up that Chick's ass in the center???

I think someone in that crowd was playing stinky finger.