09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Chargers 12-4
Broncos 9-7
Raiders 8-8
Chiefs 6-10

Here is their writeup on the Chiefs....

Kansas City Chiefs

What the Chiefs do best: Run the ball.

Jamaal Charles, a speedy big-play threat, came out of nowhere last season to rush for 1,120 yards and seven TDs. He took off over the final eight games, during which his 968 yards rushing and 1,126 yards from scrimmage trailed only Tennessee's Chris Johnson, who had 1,047 and 1,388, respectively. Also, Charles' five rushes of 40 yards or longer ranked second to Johnson's seven for the season.

This year Charles will be complemented by Thomas Jones, a 32-year-old grinder who led the Jets last year with 1,402 yards rushing and 14 scores. The Chiefs have had to rely on the run because their passing game is so inconsistent, particularly the vertical passing game. Matt Cassel struggled in his first year in Kansas City after being acquired in a trade and signing a potential $63 million deal. He threw only 16 TDs and had 16 interceptions with a 69.9 passer rating. Not coincidentally, wideout Dwayne Bowe had the worst season of his career, though Bowe had a strong offseason and exhibition season.

What the Chiefs need to improve: Pass rush.

The Chiefs traded end Jared Allen to the Vikings after the 2007 season, and their pass rush hasn't been the same since. They averaged just 16 sacks the past two seasons, and only outside linebacker Tamba Hali recorded more than 4.5 in a season during that time. The secondary isn't bad, but its ability gets overshadowed when quarterbacks have so much time to throw.

Maybe linebacker Andy Studebaker will be the complement that Hali needs. Studebacker impressed during the exhibition season and was pushing starter Mike Vrabel for playing time. "We're all excited about him," says coach Todd Haley. "He's got the work ethic, the toughness, the athletic ability to be a good player. And he's working real hard trying to do that."

Which Chief needs to step up: Defensive end Tyson Jackson.

Jackson was the third pick of the 2009 draft, but the former LSU defensive end didn't play up to expectations. He made little to no impact as a rookie, and was not demonstrably better this preseason. The Chiefs don't need him to be great --3-4 ends rarely put up big stats -- but they do need him to be good. Consistently good.

Defensive ends in a 3-4 scheme are asked to occupy blockers and hold the line so the linebackers can flow to the ball. Jackson has the size and strength to do it, but he tends to disappear at times. That becomes an even bigger problem when the end on the other side, fellow LSU top-five pick Glenn Dorsey, does the same thing. These two have to step up for the defense to become formidable.

Predicted record: 6-10.

The additions of offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel will accelerate a return to respectability. Weis' arrival allows Haley to focus on managing the team instead of worrying about what play to call on offense. The record might not show it, but the team is headed in the right direction in Year 2 of the Haley/Scott Piolo regime.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_trotter/09/03/afc.west.preview/index.html

If you click the link there is a video of Peter King talking about each AFCW team

CaliforniaChief
09-03-2010, 01:56 PM
We are officially one Matt Willis away from the Lombardi Trophy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I say we go 7-9 and Denver goes 3-13.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Dude, I'm watching Den VS. Min right now, and I have to tell you:

Tebow truly sucks ass. I mean, like, "Cassel Ass" and then some.

Great pick by McDipshit, brah!

Bowser
09-03-2010, 01:57 PM

I'll give Denver the benefit of the doubt and give them 5 wins.

Bane
09-03-2010, 01:58 PM

Fugg yeah!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyy God
09-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I stopped reading at Chargers 12-4....

Quesadilla Joe
09-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Tebow started out slow but it gets better (or worse for you) as the game goes on.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I think Denver will be much better than most CPer's are predicting. I think 8-8, 9-7 at this point.

Bowser
09-03-2010, 02:00 PM

BUT....BUT....they've made the playoffs a LOT in the last few years! And they're good and shit!

Los Pollos Hermanos
09-03-2010, 02:01 PM

I hate to admit it but Tebow did get better as the game went on.

keg in kc
09-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Bowe's suspension might also have had something to do with having the worst season of his career. Sitting 4 games tends to bruise the stats a bit.

Otherwise, seems fair, although I believe 6 wins would be disappointing.

I think the Broncos winning more than 7 games would be miraculous, the power of tebow compels me to say.

Oakland should win 8 games, but they almost never win as many as they should.

Either way, it's clearly San Diego's division to lose. I think they win 11+ and the rest of us fall between 5 and 9 wins. Similar to the prediction in the header.

CaliforniaChief
09-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I think Denver will be much better than most CPer's are predicting. I think 8-8, 9-7 at this point.

Not without Matt Willis. Wes Welker is the white Matt Willis.

DaneMcCloud

It truly amazes me that each and every year, Chiefsplanet members think the Chargers suck, yet all they do is win the division and win in the playoffs.

This year is obviously no different.

Sweet Daddy Hate
Tebow started out slow but it gets better (or worse for you) as the game goes on.

Oh yeah; his reared-back, wobble-launcher is enough to make Huard jealous.

Nice pick too!

FAIL.

Bane

I do too,but its more fun to kick them in the vagina and say they'll win 5.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins

They lost their #1 WR, #1 TE, the best pass rusher in the AFC, and got nothing from this year's draft class that will help them in 2010.

Add that to a team that finished 2-8, and I don't see how anyone could think this team is headed for anything other than a nose dive.

Bowser
09-03-2010, 02:03 PM

Dunno. Don't see it, but what do I know? They're old on defense, and their offense doesn't look anything special.

And I hate to say it, but I'm afraid Oakland is going to be the suprise team in the AFCW this year. They have more of a 8-8 or 9-7 feel than Denver does.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Bowe's suspension might also have had something to do with having the worst season of his career. Sitting 4 games tends to bruise the stats a bit.

Otherwise, seems fair, although I believe 6 wins would be disappointing.

I think the Broncos winning more than 6 games would be miraculous, the power of tebow compels me to say.

Oakland should win 8 games, but they almost never win as many as they should.

It's clearly San Diego's division to lose.

Orton's the second best QB in the division. If he's healthy, they'll be an 8-8 team or better.

If he's injured, they could end up in the basement.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Dunno. Don't see it, but what do I know? They're old on defense, and their offense doesn't look anything special.

And I hate to say it, but I'm afraid Oakland is going to be the suprise team in the AFCW this year. They have more of a 8-8 or 9-7 feel than Denver does.

Their offense is badass and Ryan Matthews will propel their rushing game.

The defense is still better than anyone else in the division, although Oakland's has the "potential" to be downright scary.

Oakland's a ten win team with Campbell and/or Gradkowski, if they don't implode internally.

Bowser
It truly amazes me that each and every year, Chiefsplanet members think the Chargers suck, yet all they do is win the division and win in the playoffs.

This year is obviously no different.Eh, truth. They have had the good fortune of being the one good team the last year in a division full of poop, though. Fattened up on the West teams, as it were, but you can't argue the playoff wins.

Skyy God

This is obviously contingent on the V-Jax/McNeil holdouts. If that's resolved, 11+ wins is a definite possibility.

Bowser
09-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Their offense is badass and Ryan Matthews will propel their rushing game.

(My comment you're replying to was directed at Denver, no Eggo.)

Los Pollos Hermanos
09-03-2010, 02:08 PM
This is obviously contingent on the V-Jax/McNeil holdouts. If that's resolved, 11+ wins is a definite possibility.

I think the Crayton trades seals the deal the Jackson won't play a down for SD again.

Bowser
09-03-2010, 02:08 PM
I think the Crayton trades seals the deal the Jackson won't play a down for SD again.You think? I don't know if I would go that far.....

CupidStunt
09-03-2010, 02:09 PM
SD 11-5
OAK 7-9
KC 7-9
DEN 3-13

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 02:10 PM
(My comment you're replying to was directed at Denver, no Eggo.)

Ah.

My bad, Homey.

keg in kc
Orton's the second best QB in the division. If he's healthy, they'll be an 8-8 team or better.

If he's injured, they could end up in the basement.My prediction is actually 7, my fingers didn't go where my brain wanted.

He may have been the 2nd best qb in the division with Marshall. And even if he manages to be the 2nd best qb in the division without him (I don't think he will be, I suspect Campbell will be, if his wrist holds up), at the end of the day, he's just a middle-of-the-pack game manager. Rivers is the only QB that really makes a significant positive difference in the division at this point, in my opinion, although Campbell may change that.

Sweet Daddy Hate

They'll win the Division, and then crash and burn. Business as usual FTW!

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 02:14 PM
My prediction is actually 7, my fingers didn't go where my brain wanted.

He may have been the 2nd best qb in the division with Marshall. And even if he manages to be the 2nd best qb in the division without him (I don't think he will be, I suspect Campbell will be, if his wrist holds up), at the end of the day, he's just a middle-of-the-pack game manager. Rivers is the only QB that really makes a significant positive difference in the division at this point, in my opinion, although Campbell may change that.

Campbell's certainly an upgrade for the Raiders but he's not much more than a game manager himself. Gradkowski is the guy that scares me because he's got "it". He makes plays with his arm and his legs. He's a smart player as well.

Orton gets no respect around these parts for some reason but I'd be absolutely ecstatic if Matt Cassel played as well as him.

Orton had 21 TD's, 12 INT's and nearly 4,000 yards in the air last year. Sure, some of that is on Jackson but guys like Gaffney had big days as well. And, I think Orton will only improve in his second year in the system.

Bane
09-03-2010, 02:14 PM
They'll win the Division, and then crash and burn. Business as usual FTW!

Bwaaa haaaaa haaaaa!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 02:24 PM
My God KnowMo; there are Albanian men who fuck sheep with more precision than Tebow plays Football!

Be ashamed, son; be very ashamed!

Bane
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
My God KnowMo; there are Albanian men who fuck sheep with more precision than Tebow plays Football!

Be ashamed, son; be very ashamed!

He and God McAngels will lead us to the SB /Knowshit
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus
09-03-2010, 02:52 PM
They lost their #1 WR, #1 TE, the best pass rusher in the AFC, and got nothing from this year's draft class that will help them in 2010.

Add that to a team that finished 2-8, and I don't see how anyone could think this team is headed for anything other than a nose dive.

If Denver is going to be 9-7 after all of that we should go 11-5 no problem.

Quesadilla Joe
09-03-2010, 04:00 PM
If Denver is going to be 9-7 after all of that we should go 11-5 no problem.

Denver was supposed to go 2-14 last year because there was noooo waaaay Denver could make due without Jay Cutler.

ModSocks
09-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Denver was supposed to go 2-14 last year because there was noooo waaaay Denver could make due without Jay Cutler.

You are SOOOOO right. Denver is totally winning the division this year. Orton FTW!

ModSocks
09-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Who would you rather start knowmo, Orton or Tebow...or Quinn?

Quesadilla Joe
09-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Who would you rather start knowmo, Orton or Tebow...or Quinn?

Right now Orton. I am in no hurry to rush Tebow in before he is ready and wouldn't be upset at all if Orton started all of next season too.

ModSocks
09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Right now Orton. I am in no hurry to rush Tebow in before he is ready and wouldn't be upset at all if Orton started all of next season too.

Great thinking. We wouldn't want his Golden arm falling off too soon. SB in 2012 is what you're thinking?

Or sooner?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Great thinking. We wouldn't want his Golden arm falling off too soon. SB in 2012 is what you're thinking?

Or sooner?

LMAO 2012? More like 2010!/KnowMo.

kysirsoze
09-03-2010, 04:12 PM
The day I put stock in what Peter King thinks, is the day.... oh, fuck it. Peter King is a dumbass.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Well, they were 2-8 over thier last 10, so...

Ugly Duck
09-03-2010, 05:17 PM
The day I put stock in what Peter King thinks, is the day.... oh, **** it. Peter King is a dumbass.

Peter King... its some guy named Jim Trotter

Its OK... KnowMo is sending Trotter some Planet cut n' pastes explaining that Denver has the best coaching staff in history and that all the Bronco players are the best there ever was at their positions. When the author reads that - he'll put the Broncos on top.

kysirsoze
09-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Peter King... its some guy named Jim Trotter

Trotter's article, but King set out the rankings. (At least according to the issue I'm looking at right now.)

Pioli Zombie
09-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Every year SI just copies and pastes the previous years standings pretty much.

kysirsoze
09-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Every year SI just copies and pastes the previous years standings pretty much.

I read the cover where it says:

"Peter King's Super Bowl Pick: Steelers Over Packers"

And knew all I needed to know.

-King-
09-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Campbell's certainly an upgrade for the Raiders but he's not much more than a game manager himself. Gradkowski is the guy that scares me because he's got "it". He makes plays with his arm and his legs. He's a smart player as well.

Orton gets no respect around these parts for some reason but I'd be absolutely ecstatic if Matt Cassel played as well as him.

Orton had 21 TD's, 12 INT's and nearly 4,000 yards in the air last year. Sure, some of that is on Jackson but guys like Gaffney had big days as well. And, I think Orton will only improve in his second year in the system.

Yepp. I made fun of the Broncos for getting Orton, but right now, compared to Cassel, he looks like Aaron Rodgers.

Gonzo
09-03-2010, 08:49 PM
I pretty much agree with everything in the op.

Wait, King wrote this???

We're going to the Bowl baby! Where can I buy tix?
Posted via Mobile Device

Aries Walker
09-03-2010, 09:54 PM
This is the year when Jason Campbell proves to everyone who mediocre a quarterback he really is. Raiders win at most 5.

Chiefs win against each division rival at least once. Chiefs win at least 6.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
This is the year when Jason Campbell proves to everyone who mediocre a quarterback he really is. Raiders win at most 5.

Chiefs win against each division rival at least once. Chiefs win at least 6.

Dumb.

notorious
09-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I have to agree with SI on this one.