PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Demorrio Williams rushes into Chiefs defensive plans

Tribal Warfare
09-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Demorrio Williams rushes into Chiefs defensive plans (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/05/2202342/demorrio-williams-rushes-into.html)
BY KENT BABB | THE KANSAS CITY STAR

Demorrio Williams had the idea two weeks ago: If the Chiefs were going to use him sometimes as a pass rusher, why not look the part, too?

So the veteran inside linebacker approached Kansas City’s coaches and asked them to watch as he lined up with his hand on the ground, similar to a down lineman, and went after the quarterback.

“They gave me an opportunity,” he said. “Felt pretty good, you know?”

Looked pretty good, too. Coaches liked Williams enough as a sub-rusher that they used him in that role in Thursday’s preseason finale against Green Bay, a 17-13 Chiefs victory. Williams had a sack in that contest, his third in two preseason games, and his performance has been enough to make coaches think they’ve found a surprising complement outside linebacker Tamba Hali.

“What Demorrio has done is separate himself in that rush position,” coach Todd Haley said. “That’s what I’ve told the guys: Anybody that wants to jump up, raise their hand and get in that position.”

It’s an unusual look for Williams, who hadn’t been a down pass rusher since 2003, his final season at Nebraska. And getting to the quarterback hasn’t been the norm for him, either, considering he had 6 1/2 sacks in his six seasons and 96 games — and none since 2006.

Williams said he’s been getting more opportunities in coordinator Romeo Crennel’s scheme, which doesn’t call for the normal responsibilities — and constraints — of players’ positions.

“They’re not saying, ‘Hey, you’re the pass rusher, you’re the cover guy, you’re this guy,’ ” said outside linebacker Andy Studebaker, who had two sacks in the third preseason game against Philadelphia. “They just want everybody knowing what we’re going to do, and it doesn’t matter who’s on the field.”

As impressive as Williams has been, it would appear he has taken the lead in his battle with Derrick Johnson for who will start at weakside inside linebacker. Haley wouldn’t say whether Williams is in line to start, particularly after calling the competition between Johnson and Williams one of the fiercest during training camp.

Johnson played well in the preseason, but Williams had the big plays and opportunities to improvise. Johnson said he just didn’t get those chances, which he said has kept him from the memorable plays.

For his part, Johnson isn’t ready to concede the race, saying he expects to be among the first-team defense in next Monday’s regular-season opener against San Diego. When asked Friday about what he has to do to trim Williams’ lead, Johnson recoiled, saying repeatedly that he believes he has done everything right. It’s a sensitive subject for Johnson, who was benched in favor of Williams most of last season for failing to give maximum effort during preseason practices.

“I’m not behind. I’m right where I need to be,” Johnson said. “Nobody has named a depth chart yet, but I’m not behind. Just know that: I’m not behind.”

Still, it would be difficult to sit Williams while he’s riding such a hot streak. Haley said he has reminded the defense that Kansas City needs more players willing to perform in multiple roles, to add new dimensions to a unit that was among the league’s worst in 2009. He said that players have been told often that, the more they can do, the better their chances are of having a prime role. Haley said Williams has taken to that opportunity.

“He’s into it,” the coach said. “However we create sub-rushers, whether they’re defensive linemen or linebackers, we need more. We’ve got one real good one in (Hali), and we’ve got a bunch of guys with a bunch more potential. Demorrio, he looks like he likes that. He’s got to keep coming.”

Williams said he has no intention of slowing. He said he became known as a run-stopper in four seasons with Atlanta and these last two in Kansas City. But he relishes the idea of becoming a more frequent pass rusher, and considering his preseason performance, it seems a fit — and one that would seem a likely choice on opening night.

“Monday night,” Williams said, “I guess they will have made their decision.”

Practice squad filled out

A day after trimming its roster to the NFL-mandated limit of 53 active players, the Chiefs assigned eight players to the practice squad.

Defensive linemen Garrett Brown, Dion Gales and Bobby Greenwood, offensive lineman Darryl Harris, quarterback Tyler Palko, defensive back Ricky Price, wide receiver Verran Tucker and linebacker Pierre Walters were added to the Chiefs’ practice squad Sunday.

The Chiefs also claimed nose tackle Anthony Toribio, who was waived by the Packers. The Chiefs made room for Toribio by cutting receiver Quinten Lawrence.

BryanBusby
09-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Williams said he has no intention of slowing.

I'll believe it when I see it. I'd love to see him actually step it up though and become a swinger.

(Not like that you fuckers.....the Chiefs would gain a lot by having a player that's productive at both ILB and OLB)

This team has basically been nothing but "potential" for too long. Players need to start stepping the fuck up already.

Shogun
09-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Ive been pretty happy for the most part with him this preseason, but like Bryan said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Hammock Parties
09-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Another one of Herm's players.

-King-
09-05-2010, 11:25 PM
FUCK! Another pun in the title.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Okay then.

KCrockaholic
09-05-2010, 11:36 PM
He looked pretty darn good as a pass rusher. I'd welcome the opportunity more often on passing downs. He's not a guy that I trust being able to shed a block and make a tackle when the offense runs off-tackle though.

3rd and long only please.

-King-
09-05-2010, 11:41 PM
He looked pretty darn good as a pass rusher. I'd welcome the opportunity more often on passing downs. He's not a guy that I trust being able to shed a block and make a tackle when the offense runs off-tackle though.

3rd and long only please.

Who else for the other 2 downs? DJ? LMAO

KCrockaholic
09-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Who else for the other 2 downs? DJ? LMAO

Tamba and Vrabel/Studebaker on the outside, like usual.

That's what I'm talking about. Demorrio played OLB in a 2-4-5 last week. I just don't like the idea of him playing OLB on running downs.

-King-
09-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Tamba and Vrabel/Studebaker on the outside, like usual.

That's what I'm talking about. Demorrio played OLB in a 2-4-5 last week. I just don't like the idea of him playing OLB on running downs.

Oh, I thought you meant you don't want him playing at all unless its on 3rd and long.

I don't think he'll get any time at all at OLB. Only reason he played OLB last week is cause Tamba was out with an ankle injury.

DaneMcCloud
09-05-2010, 11:50 PM
It'll be awesome when he's in a three point stance and the opposing team decides to run the ball.

LMAO

The guy is a turd.

KCrockaholic
09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Oh, I thought you meant you don't want him playing at all unless its on 3rd and long.

I don't think he'll get any time at all at OLB. Only reason he played OLB last week is cause Tamba was out with an ankle injury.

On passing downs, don't be surprised if they have a package where Tamba and Williams are the OLB's in a 2-4-5. I think that is what this article is mainly referring to.

T-post Tom
09-05-2010, 11:53 PM
The local media should check themselves with D.J. He get's the starter questions everyday, yet has kept with the "serenity now" responses. Ya know that's not gonna last much longer:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PlZvY_LXJco?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PlZvY_LXJco?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Priest31kc
09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
On passing downs, don't be surprised if they have a package where Tamba and Williams are the OLB's in a 2-4-5. I think that is what this article is mainly referring to.

So Tamba-DJ-Vrabel-Williams? I could see that occasionally, but I think it would be stupid to leave Studebaker on the bench on passing downs. Maybe Tamba-DJ-Williams-Studebaker then?

KCrockaholic
09-06-2010, 12:17 AM
So Tamba-DJ-Vrabel-Williams? I could see that occasionally, but I think it would be stupid to leave Studebaker on the bench on passing downs. Maybe Tamba-DJ-Williams-Studebaker then?

I agree, and I like that set-up, but don't expect to see Johnson and Williams at ILB at the same time. Haley has said plenty of times that Johnson is not interchangeable and would not be a good strongside inside LB. So I think it would have to look like this on passing downs...

Tamba-Williams-Vrabel-Studebaker

and under certain packages Williams will come in and Studebaker will be subbed out.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-06-2010, 12:19 AM
LOVE Stuuuuuude!

Titty Meat
09-06-2010, 01:02 AM
He was good in Atlanta.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-06-2010, 01:02 AM
He was good in Atlanta.

He was just coming on in Atlanta. A good portion of their fan base were pissed when he signed here.

Titty Meat
09-06-2010, 01:05 AM
He was just coming on in Atlanta. A good portion of their fan base were pissed when he signed here.

I seem to remember that also if I remember correctly he played some 3-4 in college where he was a beast.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-06-2010, 01:10 AM
I seem to remember that also if I remember correctly he played some 3-4 in college where he was a beast.

I don't know about that, but personally I love the way the guy has come on in the preseason. They said in game 2 that he was pissed about being 2nd string, and he sure fucking showed it in games 3 and 4. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's got now that he's found some extra motivation.

petegz28
09-06-2010, 01:12 AM
He might have looked better had he not been stuck in a stupid cover 2 all the time. I like what I read in the OP about Crennel not locking people into a particular role. Gives us a certain unpredictability that we haven't had in years. And that showed in the pre-season.

-King-
09-06-2010, 01:18 AM
If DJ could react to demotion the same way Williams did, we'd have a special player. But that ship has sailed....

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-06-2010, 01:20 AM
If DJ could react to demotion the same way Williams did, we'd have a special player. But that ship has sailed....

It might not be too late...

I hope. When he's "on", he really gets after it and we could sure use it every game.:hmmm:

Blick
09-06-2010, 04:29 AM
Williams' reaction to getting demoted was overrated for me. He basically was making routine stops and getting up and thumping his chest to "show passion". He didn't do anything special.

With that said, I like him as a rotational 3rd and long pass rush guy. I've wanted to see him in that role since he came here. He looked good getting after the QB in college. He plays with good leverage and good body lean, dipping his shoulder around the tackle. He looked natural against Green Bay.

Slainte
09-06-2010, 04:57 AM
FUCK! Another pun in the title.

You have a Chief concern about news article titles?

TheGuardian
09-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Williams' reaction to getting demoted was overrated for me. He basically was making routine stops and getting up and thumping his chest to "show passion". He didn't do anything special.

With that said, I like him as a rotational 3rd and long pass rush guy. I've wanted to see him in that role since he came here. He looked good getting after the QB in college. He plays with good leverage and good body lean, dipping his shoulder around the tackle. He looked natural against Green Bay.

That's better than Johnson making NO STOPS and doing nothing.

RedThat
09-06-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't know about that, but personally I love the way the guy has come on in the preseason. They said in game 2 that he was pissed about being 2nd string, and he sure ****ing showed it in games 3 and 4. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's got now that he's found some extra motivation.

Yeah, I like what I've seen out of him in the preseason so far as well. Just the way he has been getting to the QB is something else.

Last game against the Packers I recall on one play he rushed the QB on a blitz, and just the way he turned the corner was a thing of beauty. The speed he demonstrated on that play was another thing of beauty.

I see the guy has fire light under his a** now that he realizes he is competing w/ DJ.

Never really was a big Demorrio Williams to be honest with you. Im also not the type that wants to judge him after four preseason games, but damn if he continues to play like this, we may have a weapon on defense.

Im glad to see that our new DC is discovering new ways he can make players on this current roster be more effective. It seems as if he works according to a players strengths and utilizes them in that manner, based on their overall attributes in knowing what they could do best. Maybe he found a new attacking blitzer in Demorrio? I don't know? Still remains to be seen, we have an entire season to witness that.

Overall, Im glad. We have a new def co-ordinator that is willing to improvise. We never had that with our previous def co-ordinators.

TheGuardian
09-06-2010, 09:27 AM
DeMorrio was really good in Atlanta. I was happy when we signed him then he disappeared in that shitty cover 2 scheme.

Coogs
09-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Instead of moving Williams to the outside, I prefer what worked against the Eagles. Not knowing which one of the LB's is blitzing, IMO, is what makes the Steelers 3-4 defense so effective. That is what seemed to be working aginst the Eagles. So why screw with it? :shrug:

Blick
09-06-2010, 09:42 AM
That's better than Johnson making NO STOPS and doing nothing.

That's usually what Demorrio does in the regular season...absolutely nothing but a bunch of garbage tackles away from the line of scrimmage. Hopefully that will change this year.

boogblaster
09-06-2010, 10:04 AM
we b gona rush da passer

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-06-2010, 10:16 AM
That's usually what Demorrio does in the regular season...absolutely nothing but a bunch of garbage tackles away from the line of scrimmage. Hopefully that will change this year.

No shit. He has as much to prove if not more than DJ.

Jawshco
09-06-2010, 11:17 AM
FWIW- Gretz says that DJ and Belcher are the starting line-up at today's practice w/ Williams on the 2nd team. Also, Weigmann & McGraw were also running with the ones.

-King-
09-06-2010, 11:32 AM
FWIW- Gretz says that DJ and Belcher are the starting line-up at today's practice w/ Williams on the 2nd team. Also, Weigmann & McGraw were also running with the ones.

It should be williams and belcher with the 1s. Lewis should be with the 1s too. Im happy that casey is with the 1s though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat
09-06-2010, 12:04 PM
John McGraw with the ones? He shouldn't even be on the team. This is no different than Vermiel starting Dexter McCleon all those years.