PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Randy Moss comes to KC next season as a FA? - PURE SPECULATION & CONJECTURE

pr_capone
09-06-2010, 10:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5540944

Moss was quoted as saying, "I don't think I'm realistically in the future plans of the Patriots. But if the New England Patriots don't want me in their future, [it's a business]. I understand."

Would he be up for a Pioli/Cassel (assuming he is still the QB next season) reunion? We could certainly pay him what he wants and even at 33 he is 10x better than anything we have on the roster now.

What say you CP? If magically Moss winds up as a FA... should KC make a play?

What if NE put him up for trade before the deadline this season? Do you give away picks for him?

RealSNR
09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
I have a lot riding on him to do well this fantasy football season.

I will wish death on his family if he gets cut

Rasputin
09-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Hell no but hell no!

RealSNR
09-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Hell no but hell no!
You wouldn't want Moss on this team? :facepalm:

Rasputin
09-06-2010, 10:15 PM
You wouldn't want Moss on this team? :facepalm:

Not at as how old he is. We need younger players that will contribute for years after next year. Sure at the right price it would be ok but WRs slow down after ages 33. IDK just think it would be a waist and not give younger guys a chance. So far this franchise is a burial ground for players past there prime. I can't wait for Chris Chambers to sit on the bench and let one of our prospects play.

Tylerthigpen!1!
09-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Not at as how old he is. We need younger players that will contribute for years after next year. Sure at the right price it would be ok but WRs slow down after ages 33. IDK just think it would be a waist and not give younger guys a chance. So far this franchise is a burial ground for players past there prime. I can't wait for Chris Chambers to sit on the bench and let one of our prospects play.

Just because a prospect plays doesn't mean he gets better. Guys have it or they don't. It is not like they don't see the field if they aren't the number two reciever.

Thig Lyfe
09-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes. Next year we will have gotten Thigpen back and be in a position to win a Super Bowl.

keg in kc
09-06-2010, 10:18 PM
5 years ago, I'd be jumping for joy. I'm not sure a 34-year old Randy Moss is the direction I'd want to go.

RealSNR
09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Not at as how old he is. We need younger players that will contribute for years after next year. Sure at the right price it would be ok but WRs slow down after ages 33. IDK just think it would be a waist and not give younger guys a chance. So far this franchise is a burial ground for players past there prime. I can't wait for Chris Chambers to sit on the bench and let one of our prospects play.We have no prospects. Jeremy Horne doesn't count.

Bowe + Moss > Bowe + Chambers > the ending of The Sopranos > Matt Cassel

tk13
09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Just think next year... Brady to Moss in Arrowhead every Sunday.

KCrockaholic
09-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Heck yeah I'd take him. Moss, Bowe, then McCluster. Assuming Chambers is done with KC after this year?

Bambi
09-06-2010, 10:27 PM
yes, but not gonna happen

HoneyBadger
09-06-2010, 10:28 PM
ehhh what can it hurt.

Rasputin
09-06-2010, 10:30 PM
It would be alot nicer to get a guy entering his prime or in his prime. Moss would be an upgrade over Chambers yes, but I'd still rather go with younger players for longer term success.

BossChief
09-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Oh no.

Not again.

TO + Moss in 2011!!!! FTMFW

KCrockaholic
09-06-2010, 10:34 PM
It would be alot nicer to get a guy entering his prime or in his prime. Moss would be an upgrade over Chambers yes, but I'd still rather go with younger players for longer term success.

I agree. But look at it this way. Say we have the 15th pick in next years draft. Julio Jones or A.J. Green is still on the board. But we have Randy Moss. We don't need a WR now. We can finally draft a QB like Ryan Mallet at that spot, and we have our QBOTF. He can learn and produce under guys like Moss and Bowe to throw to.

I mean, I love Jones and Green, but I want us to draft a damn QB this year in the draft! If anything, for future and for depth. Because we have neither.

Rasputin
09-06-2010, 10:44 PM
I agree. But look at it this way. Say we have the 15th pick in next years draft. Julio Jones or A.J. Green is still on the board. But we have Randy Moss. We don't need a WR now. We can finally draft a QB like Ryan Mallet at that spot, and we have our QBOTF. He can learn and produce under guys like Moss and Bowe to throw to.

I mean, I love Jones and Green, but I want us to draft a damn QB this year in the draft! If anything, for future and for depth. Because we have neither.

As long as we draft the QB of our dreams, what ever that would take fine. I just feel like we have been burnt too many times with ol players that don't last more than two years. Plus it's the same thing as getting Ty Law. Sure Ty Law had foot surgery but he was also old. I want us to be good for a long time and we keep getting players past there primes. I'm ok with getting a FA but he needs to be 26-28 or younger so we have more time with him to adjust and get better with the team. Moss would be a band aid on a severed arm.

KCrockaholic
09-06-2010, 10:51 PM
As long as we draft the QB of our dreams, what ever that would take fine. I just feel like we have been burnt too many times with ol players that don't last more than two years. Plus it's the same thing as getting Ty Law. Sure Ty Law had foot surgery but he was also old. I want us to be good for a long time and we keep getting players past there primes. I'm ok with getting a FA but he needs to be 26-28 or younger so we have more time with him to adjust and get better with the team. Moss would be a band aid on a severed arm.

So what would be a better option? What receiver fits that description without going into the draft and taking a top notch WR?

Rasputin
09-06-2010, 10:56 PM
So what would be a better option? What receiver fits that description without going into the draft and taking a top notch WR?

I'm not sure yet, and those guys are hard to find. They get resigned by there own teams first. We have not had much chances I know. Still would be nice to go younger. I'l try to pay more attention and get back with you on that. I just want to avoid players past there prime if we can help it.

milkman
09-06-2010, 11:00 PM

You don't pass on a potential franchise QB if you don't have one.

I don't give a fuck if the second coming of Jerry Rice is on the board.

milkman
09-06-2010, 11:12 PM
As to Randy Moss.

Hell no.

I don't want a guy that quits the minute things start to get tough.

BossChief
09-06-2010, 11:17 PM

I don't give a fuck if the second coming of Jerry Rice is on the board.

THIS and how many damn times does it have to be said before everyone is in agreement?

Hammock Parties
09-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Moss might have slowed enough so that Cassel wouldn't overthrow him.

Shogun
09-06-2010, 11:21 PM

LMAO

HoneyBadger
09-07-2010, 12:03 AM

Wouldn't it be "under throw"?

pr_capone
09-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I'd give a 2nd rd pick right now for Moss. 3 deep at WR plus Dex? In a friggin heart beat. Castle would have to put up numbers or he is done as a starting QB in the NFL.

milkman
09-07-2010, 12:13 AM
How man times do you idiots have to see Moss quit on his team before you realize that he's a ****ing quitter?

He did in Minnesota.
He did it in Oakland.
He's done in New England, twice.

I want no part of that useless ****ing quitter.

HemiEd
09-07-2010, 12:25 AM

I don't give a **** if the second coming of Jerry Rice is on the board.

Ummm, our favorite teams does, on a regular basis. Not for no Jerry Rice, either.

pr_capone
09-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Throw in signing TRich for his retirement tour and this year could be epic.

The homer in me just can't help it.

Home opener this year feels... different. We finally have a kick returner. If they stay in a 2 returner set with DMC on the other side... HOLY CRAP. DMC can pinch hit as a RB and though he is little, he has shown he can take a lick.

Our new Safeties are gonna be huge. I say that with trepidation because the last time I was this excited about a pair of new safeties was when we drafted Page & Pollard. lol

I hope Weigmann can last the season, he is miles ahead of Niswanger. Add the fact that we got some young LBs that look like they might be something... I'm seriously pumped about this season.

If we start the year 3-0, and I believe we can, heh... this could be a very fun season.

That said... we won't get Moss and we won't sign TRich so meh.

RedThat
09-07-2010, 05:58 AM
I would take Randy Moss on my team under one circumstance:

My team is a winning team and it needs that one player that could get us over the hump and compete/win a superbowl. That pretty much was the case in NE.

*Then I look at the Chiefs situation, and I really think we are far from a team that needs just one player to compete/win a superbowl. He would not be a good fit/blend because we are a losing team that is in transition. You look at Moss, he is 34, and wants to win a superbowl. Why would he want to come here? When he is better off going to a contending team. In addition to that, I wouldn't want him on my team anyway. The guy pretty much proved in the past that he could dog it and mail it in anytime when playing for a bad team.

He is a player that would thrive in a winning environment that is surrounded by a good cast of characters. but he is also the guy, that would easily lose motivation playing on a bad team. Not a leader and not the kind of guy you want to drag your car out of ditch when it gets stuck.

To make things simple and clear.

Randy Moss on a good team=good fit

Randy Moss on a bad team=bad fit

LaChapelle
09-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Longing to sign neckbeards is trending
Leinart - Moss - .....

Ralphy Boy
09-07-2010, 08:10 AM
I can't wait for Chris Chambers to sit on the bench and let one of our prospects play.

Seriously? Honestly? You really think we have a legitimate "prospect" outside of Bowe? Please rethink what you have said, then go back to last season and look at the crap we trotted out there every week to play the WR position.

Waiting....

....waiting....

...done yet?

Okay, now let me ask again: Seriously? Honestly? What "prospect" do we have? What player is worth benching Chambers?

Dayze
09-07-2010, 08:13 AM
LMAO
@ "Prospects"

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Yes. Next year we will have gotten Thigpen back and be in a position to win a Super Bowl.

Just think next year... Brady to Moss in Arrowhead every Sunday.

LMAOLMAO

DJ's left nut
09-07-2010, 10:20 AM

Football is not baseball.

I'm beginning to wonder if the rebuilding mentality of the Royals hasn't infected Chiefs fans.

In the NFL you are never EVER more than 3 years away from being a potential contender. It's why the "Deal Allen" argument was so stupid - the Chiefs could've easily been ready to compete this season with some savvy moves at QB and a legitimate gamechanger on Defense. And guess who's still in his prime?

Moss will be a legitimate #1 next season and he'd be no worse than an elite #2 over the next 2. He has plenty left to give a team that intends to compete.

Moss will still be absolutely viable as an NFL WR, and a damn good one, when the Chiefs should be expected to contend.

I'd absolutely bring him in.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2010, 10:26 AM
How man times do you idiots have to see Moss quit on his team before you realize that he's a ****ing quitter?

He did in Minnesota.
He did it in Oakland.

Moss quits when he's not getting attention or feels under-appreciated.

Not when the team's bad, not when the QB is bad, but when he feels overlooked.

In KC he'd be the unquestioned #1 option on offense and a guy that's seen as a savior. In Minn. he was a malcontent that wore out his welcome. In Oakland...well it's Oakland. In NE, he's Brady's running mate and when Brady's hogging the spotlight with the contract talks, Moss feels left out.

I don't think he's a bad seed, I truly don't. I think he's just a guy that needs attention. In KC, oddly enough, I think he'd get it.

milkman
09-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Moss quits when he's not getting attention or feels under-appreciated.

Not when the team's bad, not when the QB is bad, but when he feels overlooked.

In KC he'd be the unquestioned #1 option on offense and a guy that's seen as a savior. In Minn. he was a malcontent that wore out his welcome. In Oakland...well it's Oakland. In NE, he's Brady's running mate and when Brady's hogging the spotlight with the contract talks, Moss feels left out.

I don't think he's a bad seed, I truly don't. I think he's just a guy that needs attention. In KC, oddly enough, I think he'd get it.

I don't give a rat's ass why he quits.

He quits.

There's no way I want that kind of player on my team, I don't care how much talent he has.

jspchief
09-07-2010, 10:33 AM
We'd get the Raiders version of Moss, not the Pats version.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't give a rat's ass why he quits.

He quits.

There's no way I want that kind of player on my team, I don't care how much talent he has.

Ideally no.

But if the circumstances are not in place that would encourage him to quit, I'm willing to deal with it when the club is otherwise bereft of talent.

Sorry, but 'that kind of player' exists on every team. A lot of these guys will mail it in when things aren't looking so great (in fact, Chambers and Bowe have been guilty of it). Moss is higher profile because he's a HOF talent, but make no mistake, 1/2 the NFL carries an attitude similar to Randy's.

Mr. Laz
09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
unless the Chiefs show themselves as a legit playoff/super bowl contender this year we will not be getting Moss or anyone else like Moss.

you don't want Moss/T.O type guys on a team that isn't winning ....... period.

milkman
09-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Ideally no.

But if the circumstances are not in place that would encourage him to quit, I'm willing to deal with it when the club is otherwise bereft of talent.

Sorry, but 'that kind of player' exists on every team. A lot of these guys will mail it in when things aren't looking so great (in fact, Chambers and Bowe have been guilty of it). Moss is higher profile because he's a HOF talent, but make no mistake, 1/2 the NFL carries an attitude similar to Randy's.

I disagree with the concept that "mailing it in" and "quiting are the same thing.

I'd like to have a team full of players that don't lose focus and concentration when they're 10 games in with only 2 or 3 wins, but that simply isn't possible.

But these guys aren't quiting.

Randy Moss just out and out quits.

He isn't trying to call up the focus and concentration.

He just doesn't give a damn.

Art Vader
09-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Chiefs have a LOT of winning to do before players of that caliber would even consider stepping foot on KC's roster. I'm sure he'd rather retire than play here.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I disagree with the concept that "mailing it in" and "quiting are the same thing.

I'd like to have a team full of players that don't lose focus and concentration when they're 10 games in with only 2 or 3 wins, but that simply isn't possible.

But these guys aren't quiting.

Randy Moss just out and out quits.

He isn't trying to call up the focus and concentration.

He just doesn't give a damn.

I'm curious - do you consider that more egregious than a holdout?

Vincent Jackson is going to hold out for 10 weeks purely to make more money. He's obviously putting himself ahead of his team and there's a definite me-first attitude at play there.

Brandon Marshall was a malcontent until he got his contract. Reevis would've stayed away had he not gotten paid.

Priest Holmes would've sat out an entire season without a new deal, IMO.

The disease is the same, the symptom is slightly different. All of these players put themselves ahead of their teams and decided that they didn't care enough about the game to play it under the terms of their old deal.

I just don't see the two circumstances as alarmingly different in that their underlying motivations are essentially the same - Me ahead of Team. If Vincent Jackson were available tomorrow, damn right I'd take him.

And I'd take Moss as well. I understand those that wouldn't, but I think at times you simply need to deal with mercurial talent as it is. Sometimes you just have to deal with the strangeness in pursuit of elite talent. Moss is that talent.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
We'd get the Raiders version of Moss, not the Pats version.
Probably.

JD10367
09-07-2010, 11:20 AM

He did in Minnesota.
He did it in Oakland.

:spock:

2007 (with Brady healthy): 1493 yards, 15.2 average, 23 TDs.
2008 (with Cassel starting): 1008 yards, 14.6 average, 11 TDs.
2009 (with Brady returning): 1264 yards, 15.2 average, 13 TDs.

How exactly did he quit?

There have been a few odd rumblings, and he's not happy about not having a new contract, but "quitting"? Compared to what we expected, he's behaved himself quite well. I watched him at practice in training camp. He's playful with the fans, he signs autographs even when it's not his day to sign, and generally hasn't done anything wrong (especially when compared to players like Ocho and T.O. and some others).

I'm not sure I would break the bank for a guy his age. But he IS one of the best WRs in NFL history, and he's still got some tread on the tires.

Now, I grant you, I'm not sure if he wasn't motivated (i.e. playing for a new contract) if he'd be the same guy. Here in New England, he was trying to show the league he still "had it", and he was (is) trying to finally get a Super Bowl ring. If he went to a mid-level team that probably wasn't going to win a SB in the next year or two, I don't know how he'd act. So he's probably not worth the risk for KC. And, I don't even think he's worth the money for the Pats (who might cover his absence with promising rookies). But I don't think "quitter" is accurate.

milkman
09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
:spock:

2007 (with Brady healthy): 1493 yards, 15.2 average, 23 TDs.
2008 (with Cassel starting): 1008 yards, 14.6 average, 11 TDs.
2009 (with Brady returning): 1264 yards, 15.2 average, 13 TDs.

How exactly did he quit?

There have been a few odd rumblings, and he's not happy about not having a new contract, but "quitting"? Compared to what we expected, he's behaved himself quite well. I watched him at practice in training camp. He's playful with the fans, he signs autographs even when it's not his day to sign, and generally hasn't done anything wrong (especially when compared to players like Ocho and T.O. and some others).

I'm not sure I would break the bank for a guy his age. But he IS one of the best WRs in NFL history, and he's still got some tread on the tires.

Now, I grant you, I'm not sure if he wasn't motivated (i.e. playing for a new contract) if he'd be the same guy. Here in New England, he was trying to show the league he still "had it", and he was (is) trying to finally get a Super Bowl ring. If he went to a mid-level team that probably wasn't going to win a SB in the next year or two, I don't know how he'd act. So he's probably not worth the risk for KC. And, I don't even think he's worth the money for the Pats (who might cover his absence with promising rookies). But I don't think "quitter" is accurate.

He quit on Cassel toward the middle of the season, and came back, so to speak, when they tweaked the system to get more consistent production out of Cassel.

He quit in a game last year when the Patriots fell behind.

bevischief
09-07-2010, 01:56 PM
no

JD10367
09-07-2010, 02:04 PM
He quit on Cassel toward the middle of the season, and came back, so to speak, when they tweaked the system to get more consistent production out of Cassel.

Over 75 yard games in green; under 30 yard games in red.

Week 1: Pats 17, KC 10. 6 rec, 116 yds
Week 2: Pats 19, Jets 10. 2 rec, 22 yds
Week 3: Miami 38, Pats 13. 4 rec, 25 yds
Week 5: Pats 30, SF 21. 5 rec, 111 yds
Week 6: SD 30, Pats 10. 3 rec, 26 yds
Week 7: Pats 41, Denver 7. 5 rec, 69 yds
Week 8: Pats 23, St. Louis 16. 7 rec, 102 yds
Week 9, Indy 18, Pats 15. 6 rec, 65 yds
Week 10: Pats 20, Buffalo 10. 5 rec, 53 yds
Week 11: Jets 34, Pats 31. 3 rec, 26 yds
Week 12: Pats 48, Miami 28. 8 rec, 125 yds
Week 13: Pitt 33, Pats 10. 4 rec, 45 yds
Week 14: Pats 24, Seattle 21. 3 rec, 56 yds
Week 15: Pats 49, Oakland 26. 5 rec, 67 yds
Week 16: Pats 47, Arizona 7. 2 rec, 87 yds
Week 17: Pats 13, Buffalo 0. 1 rec, 13 yds

He was actually pretty consistent, at least with his inconsistency.

And it still pisses me off that Cassel led that team to 11-5 and they STILL didn't make the playoffs. :mad:

Moss is Moss. Yeah, sometimes, he doesn't make the best effort on decoy routes. But to say he's a quitter is extreme, IMO. (Again, that doesn't mean he WOULDN'T be a quitter if a mediocre team handed him big money.)

Pioli Zombie
09-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah who wants one of the best receivers of all time? We're the Chiefs. We suck and we like it.

RedThat
09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah who wants one of the best receivers of all time? We're the Chiefs. We suck and we like it.

ROFL Only the chiefs eh?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2010, 03:13 PM

There were these two other "greats" you sent us once...

PASS.

Ugly Duck
09-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah, sometimes, he doesn't make the best effort on decoy routes. But to say he's a quitter is extreme

Unless he doesn't feel like playing on a given day.

Deberg_1990
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
But to say he's a quitter is extreme, IMO.

Oakland fan does not approve this post...

Pioli Zombie
09-07-2010, 06:34 PM
There were these two other "greats" you sent us once...

PASS.
You are comparing a talent like Randy Moss to Cassel and Vrabel?

Rasputin
09-07-2010, 06:39 PM

& Ty Law don't forget him

May as well throw in Huard

30 yard hail mary
09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
some guys who are no longer in their prime are still better than alot of guys who are in their prime...

Rasputin
09-07-2010, 06:57 PM
some guys who are no longer in their prime are still better than alot of guys who are in their prime...

But they don't last for two years with the Chiefs and then they are done. What's the point of bringing them here? He may be better to a point then they hit a brick wall. How many of them got us a Super Bowl in the last 40 years? Play off wins? We have been down that road through out Carl Peterson era. That's all we do is rehash players at the end of the trail for them. And that's why we are in this position to begin with. The team got old. Now we are in flux to get younger and the younger players are out playing the vets ten times fold.

Bring the quitter in, he is getting old and won't get his way with Haley. Let's bring the fucker in to please the "true fans".

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2010, 08:29 PM

At this stage in his career:

PLEASE keep him.

Pioli Zombie
09-07-2010, 08:40 PM
It must have really sucked having Montana and Allen here. Those guys weren't in their prime after all.

milkman
09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
It must have really sucked having Montana and Allen here. Those guys weren't in their prime after all.

Did the Chiefs win a SB?

Did Montana last more than 2 years?

I have always said that bringing Montana in, without a viable backup plan, was a bad idea.

The window for any chance at a SB closed the day he retired.

We didn't have any other QB in the 90s that had any chance at overcoming Martyocrity.

A 2 year window sucked ass.

milkman
09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Further, making that trade and expecting him, a fragile, older QB, to get through a season injury free is the definition of lunacy.

Pioli Zombie
09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Did the Chiefs win a SB?

Did Montana last more than 2 years?

I have always said that bringing Montana in, without a viable backup plan, was a bad idea.

The window for any chance at a SB closed the day he retired.

We didn't have any other QB in the 90s that had any chance at overcoming Martyocrity.

A 2 year window sucked ass.
Why does it have to be a black or white arguement. Yes,CP was an asshole for not preparing for when Montana retired. That doesn't mean bringing in Montana was a bad idea. Why does signing Moss keep you from drafting a WR if a good one is available?
Sure the Chiefs didn't win a SB. But they came a lot closer with Montana than they did without him.

milkman
09-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Why does it have to be a black or white arguement. Yes,CP was an asshole for not preparing for when Montana retired. That doesn't mean bringing in Montana was a bad idea. Why does signing Moss keep you from drafting a WR if a good one is available?
Sure the Chiefs didn't win a SB. But they came a lot closer with Montana than they did without him.

Did you not read the part that said "without a viable backup plan"?

milkman
09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
And the thing is, conparing the Montana situation to Moss is stupid.

Montana was a great leader who never quit.

Moss is a punk.