PDA

View Full Version : Football If Boise State runs the table, should they be in the BCS National Championship?

Pages : [1] 2

KCrockaholic
09-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Simple question. I want a debate, about why they should or shouldn't. There's a solid chance that they go undefeated again. How many years in a row can they be ignored?

Lex Luthor
09-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I hope they go undefeated this year and don't make it to the BCS title game. I hope a couple of other teams do it too.

Anything to get rid of the system we have now and replace it with a playoff.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 12:47 PM
It really depends on what other teams do. I'd still put a 1 loss team from the Big Ten, Big XII or SEC in over them. And while their win over VT last night was nice, it wasn't the convincing win they needed.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I hope they go undefeated this year and don't make it to the BCS title game. I hope a couple of other teams do it too.

Anything to get rid of the system we have now and replace it with a playoff.
Boise St getting the shaft isn't going to get us any closer to a playoff. We need to put that notion to rest right now.

FireDogg
09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure if the first game of the year qualifies them for the "big" win. Now had they beat Va Tech maybe the 3rd or 4th game of the season, that would be a different story. If they run the table and there are not two other undefeated teams from one of the big conferences, let em play for the championship and see what happens. At least they won without any trick plays. If they get drubbed in the Natl Champ, then we won't have to hear about the cinderellas every year.

oldandslow
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Two undefeateds from majors get in first. Other than that, Boise gets in.

KCrockaholic
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I mean, they beat VT who was ranked 10. They are dominant up front. Their line on both sides were relentless against VT.

They beat Oregon last year and the beat #3 ranked TCU last year in the bowl game.

KCrockaholic
09-07-2010, 12:52 PM

I can agree with this, I think.

Alton deFlat
09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
It all depends on how other teams do. If Alabama and Texas are still undefeated, or Ohio State and another marquee team is, then I would give them the nod. What Boise has done is great, and that was a great win over Virginia Tech, but I really don't consider the Hokies a top tier team year after year.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I mean, they beat VT who was ranked 10. They are dominant up front. Their line on both sides were relentless against VT.

And despite all of that, they blew a 17 pt lead, trailed for a lot of the second half, and got bailed out from a ticky-tack call on their final drive to win by 3 pts.

Coogs
09-07-2010, 01:00 PM
What would probably be better, is if they go undefeated, get ranked in the top two, and get into the championship game say against Alabama. And have another team say like Texas be undefeated, and not get in. Then things might change. Not if Boise gets snubbed again.

nychief
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
no. look at their schedule, it is garbage... they just played their hardest game of the year.

sedated
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I'd still put a 1 loss team from the Big Ten, Big XII or SEC in over them.

If Ohio State goes undefeated except for their ONE quality opponent (like most years) and gets in over an undefeated Boise St, the system is a sham.

(although, at least this year they are playing Miami in the non-con)

Frosty
09-07-2010, 01:14 PM
And despite all of that, they blew a 17 pt lead, trailed for a lot of the second half, and got bailed out from a ticky-tack call on their final drive to win by 3 pts.

How did they get bailed out? They had picked up the first down already and were moving the ball at will at that point. All the 15 yard penalty did was give VT more time after BSU scored a couple of plays later.

POND_OF_RED
09-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Every fucking year. Man I really hope Oregon State takes these smurfs out. I understand that the easy scheduling isn't their fault, but it still has to matter. If they had come out and proven they were head and shoulders better than VT it would be different, but to squeeze out a victory with the help of a ticky tack call in your only game against a ranked opponent isn't showing you deserve to be there IMO.

Demonpenz
09-07-2010, 01:17 PM
i hope boise state gets in then gets their ass kicked. blue fields are for fruits

DaKCMan AP
Not over an undefeated team from a BCS conference or a 1-loss SEC team or a 1-loss Miami.

Param
I'd like to see what happens the rest of the season. Boist St might not win out.

Chiefnj2
09-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Would Nebraska deserve a shot if they run the table? They only play 1 ranked team, Texas.

Would Oregon deserve a shot if they run the table? They only play two ranked teams, the highest being #16 USC.

Every time Boise plays a highly ranked team they've demonstrated they belong in the game.

Frosty
09-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Man I really hope Oregon State takes these smurfs out.

I do too but not because I have anything against Boise State. :D

DaKCMan AP
09-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Would Nebraska deserve a shot if they run the table? They only play 1 ranked team, Texas.

Would Oregon deserve a shot if they run the table? They only play two ranked teams, the highest being #16 USC.

Every time Boise plays a highly ranked team they've demonstrated they belong in the game.

Nebraska would also play the a team in the Big XII Championship, and that team would be ranked.

Oregon plays (currently) three ranked teams (Stanford, USC, Arizona).

KCrockaholic
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM

They are ranked 3rd right now. It will only take a loss from Bama or Ohio State to put them in the drivers seat.

It's been proven, this team can hang with anybody. They have the talent. A good college QB. A great system, and a mauling offensive line. These guys can play against any team and even if they lose, they won't get blown out.

KCrockaholic
09-07-2010, 01:26 PM
BTW they got 8 first place votes this week in the coaches polls. 2nd most, behind Bama of course.

DaKCMan AP
09-07-2010, 01:27 PM
BTW they got 8 first place votes this week in the coaches polls. 2nd most, behind Bama of course.

No, they got the first place votes in the AP Poll, which doesn't count. They got 0 first place votes from the coaches.

CoMoChief
09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
It would be too simple just to do something like this.

8-Team BCS playoff tourney, the BCS computers determine the rankings just like they do now. Now there are going to be arguments about teams ranked 8,9,10, which last team to make it in, who's in and who's out etc, but there's always going to be that argument, just like there is in Men's hoops w/ bubble teams etc. The point is really, there are about a handful of teams that should be in the National Title picture. Yes sometimes it's clear cut on who's 1 and 2, but a lot of times that's not the case. They also need to do away w/ conf title games. Big12 has a conf champ game, Big Ten does not, and confs that do have title games, just get another game/another chance to blow it. I think either every conf should have a title game, or every conf should do w/o it.

Ranked teams 1-8 would play in the BCS Bowl Sites for the 1st rd, and the sites/matchups would rotate, so one site wouldn't always get the #1 seed game.
For Example:

Rose Bowl (1 vs 8)
Orange Bowl (2 vs 7)
Fiesta Bowl (3 vs 6)
Sugar Bowl (4 vs 5)
** Like I said the matchups would rotate bowl sites, so the next season the Rose Bowl wouldn't have the #1 seeded game, and the winner's could still be called "Rose Bowl Champs" etc.

Next rd, "Final 4" teams would be played at the BCS Title game site, like how it is w/ NCAA hoops, as well as the final BCS National Title game would be played here as well. I know this would extend Bowl season about a week, but they space it out too long already, a lot of teams don't play for almost a month from their last reg season game, til Bowl season, they need to change that.

Then the teams ranked 9-10 would play in the Cotton Bowl. Since it's not a true BCS bowl game anyway, this would IMO make sense since it's the best next bowl game.

KC native
09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I'll say the same thing for Boise St as TCU (and I'm a TCU fan), IF there are undefeated teams from the BCS conferences, then TCU or Boise don't go to the national championship. If there's not, then the debate begins. Boise's schedule is complete garbage. TCU's is mediocre to poor depending on how Utah and BYU do.

KCrockaholic
09-07-2010, 01:33 PM
No, they got the first place votes in the AP Poll, which doesn't count. They got 0 first place votes from the coaches.

You're right. My bad. I read it wrong.

eazyb81
09-07-2010, 01:34 PM
It really depends on what other teams do. I'd still put a 1 loss team from the Big Ten, Big XII or SEC in over them. And while their win over VT last night was nice, it wasn't the convincing win they needed.

LMAOLMAOLMAO

KCrockaholic
09-07-2010, 01:35 PM
It would be too simple just to do something like this.

8-Team BCS playoff tourney, the BCS computers determine the rankings just like they do now. Now there are going to be arguments about teams ranked 8,9,10, which last team to make it in, who's in and who's out etc, but there's always going to be that argument, just like there is in Men's hoops w/ bubble teams etc. The point is really, there are about a handful of teams that should be in the National Title picture. Yes sometimes it's clear cut on who's 1 and 2, but a lot of times that's not the case. They also need to do away w/ conf title games. Big12 has a conf champ game, Big Ten does not, and confs that do have title games, just get another game/another chance to blow it. I think either every conf should have a title game, or every conf should do w/o it.

Ranked teams 1-8 would play in the BCS Bowl Sites for the 1st rd, and the sites/matchups would rotate, so one site wouldn't always get the #1 seed game.
For Example:

Rose Bowl (1 vs 8)
Orange Bowl (2 vs 7)
Fiesta Bowl (3 vs 6)
Sugar Bowl (4 vs 5)
** Like I said the matchups would rotate bowl sites, so the next season the Rose Bowl wouldn't have the #1 seeded game, and the winner's could still be called "Rose Bowl Champs" etc.

Next rd, "Final 4" teams would be played at the BCS Title game site, like how it is w/ NCAA hoops, as well as the final BCS National Title game would be played here as well. I know this would extend Bowl season about a week, but they space it out too long already, a lot of teams don't play for almost a month from their last reg season game, til Bowl season, they need to change that.

Then the teams ranked 9-10 would play in the Cotton Bowl. Since it's not a true BCS bowl game anyway, this would IMO make sense since it's the best next bowl game.

I like that. Take it to the NCAA!

DonTellMeShowMe
09-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Ok, yes the WAC isn't legit, but people forget that Fresno St (who just beat Cincy) and Nevada (who they play in Reno this year) are decent teams. There is a good chance Boise could lose either one of those games.

If they go undefeated, they should be given a shot...if they get blown out or win, at least the debate over this will finally be over, and we will have an example to fall back on lol

BigCatDaddy
09-07-2010, 01:40 PM
You can't put them in there considering that cake conference schedule they have. It would take 4 top 25 teams in the pre-con to come close to what most top schools play in a year.

DonTellMeShowMe
09-07-2010, 01:42 PM
In the Pac-10, 4 or 5 schools could potentially win the conference...why do people act like other conferences are so deep with great teams?

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Yes, if they are ranked 1 or 2 at seasons end.

Titty Meat
09-07-2010, 01:48 PM
No

09-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Undefeated is undefeated. If there are only two undefeated teams then those two get in the championship game. Anything less and the system is fixed. Would you actually settle for two one loss teams from majors and leave them out of it if they are undefeated?

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2010, 01:53 PM
And despite all of that, they blew a 17 pt lead, trailed for a lot of the second half, and got bailed out from a ticky-tack call on their final drive to win by 3 pts.They won in the clutch, thats what matters. What ticky-tack call? The late hit OOB or the illegal block call that was reversed?

DaKCMan AP
09-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Undefeated is undefeated. If there are only two undefeated teams then those two get in the championship game. Anything less and the system is fixed. Would you actually settle for two one loss teams from majors and leave them out of it if they are undefeated?

If those 1-loss teams are from the SEC or Miami, yes. The difficulty in schedules of SEC teams and Miami to what Boise State has to play is ridiculous.

BigCatDaddy
In the Pac-10, 4 or 5 schools could potentially win the conference...why do people act like other conferences are so deep with great teams?

Alabama beat 5 teams ranked in the top 25 at the time they played them last year just to get to the title game. BSU will have to play 1.

BigMeatballDave
no. look at their schedule, it is garbage... they just played their hardest game of the year.:rolleyes: Its their fucking conference. How is it their fault the rest of it blows ass?

Mecca
09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
:rolleyes: Its their fucking conference. How is it their fault the rest of it blows ass?

Schedule a better non con?

keg in kc
09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
If the computers say they should, sure.

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Alabama beat 5 teams ranked in the top 25 at the time they played them last year just to get to the title game. BSU will have to play 1.Hate on the NCAA then, not BSU. This is why I do not understand the BSU hate. Obviously, we need a playoff system. Notice how when BSU plays a quality school, they win.

BigCatDaddy
09-07-2010, 01:58 PM
:rolleyes: Its their ****ing conference. How is it their fault the rest of it blows ass?

So the other schools should be penalized for playing better opponents week in and week out?

BigCatDaddy
09-07-2010, 01:59 PM

This. Everybody plays a VT type team in the non con.

Titty Meat
09-07-2010, 02:04 PM

Umm Bruh Nebraska will have to either beat Texas twice or Texas & OU. Also Texas A&M & Mizzou both might be ranked when Nebraska plays them too.

niblet
09-07-2010, 02:04 PM
LMAOLMAOLMAO

Oh yeah, that crap conference that won 2 BCS games last year. What on earth was he thinking putting them in there? They're so slow they probably would never reach the stadium, right?

I have no problem with BSU--wait, actually I do, I hate their blue field and the way the media adores them. But that's besides the point, which is that they simply do not deserve to play in the national title over a 1 loss school from a major conference. The fact that there's such a heated debate about this one week into the season demonstrates how absurd their schedule is.

Evens still, you can't put teams like San Jose State and Utah State on the same level as the middle-of-the-pack and bottom dwellers in major conferences.

VT might turn out to be bad, anyway.

Titty Meat
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Congrats Boise State on beating a team that returned 8 starters.

Chiefnj2
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
If those 1-loss teams are from the SEC or Miami, yes. The difficulty in schedules of SEC teams and Miami to what Boise State has to play is ridiculous.

Says the guy whose team has 7 home games this year.

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Schedule a better non con?They've been trying to do that. No one wants to play them.

Mecca
09-07-2010, 02:12 PM
They've been trying to do that. No one wants to play them.

TCU and Utah have gotten several good non cons lined up. When you are a good team in a bad conference you don't get to ask for a cupcake payout, that's why they don't get games.

Really bad teams can get upwards of 800 thousand dollars for a game, however they are a sure win. No AD in the country is going to pay nearly a million dollars to possibly watch his team get beat.

When your team is good lower your price, TCU and Utah have done this to get games.

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2010, 02:13 PM
LMAO over the bruised labia BSU causes some of you.

The Franchise
09-07-2010, 02:20 PM

This.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 02:20 PM
How did they get bailed out? They had picked up the first down already and were moving the ball at will at that point. All the 15 yard penalty did was give VT more time after BSU scored a couple of plays later.
My bad, I thought that was a 3rd down. But the rest of my point stands, when you're playing a schedule like theirs you need CONVINCING wins in big games.

Yes.

Mecca
09-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Your conference is what it is. But seriously when you ask for a ridiculous payout don't go around and cry foul when no one wants to play you.

TCU and Utah are getting games, if your team is actually good you don't get cupcake payout.

DaKCMan AP
09-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Says the guy whose team has 7 home games this year.

And plays 4 ranked teams + a possible SEC Championship game.

DaKCMan AP
09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
TCU and Utah have gotten several good non cons lined up. When you are a good team in a bad conference you don't get to ask for a cupcake payout, that's why they don't get games.

Really bad teams can get upwards of 800 thousand dollars for a game, however they are a sure win. No AD in the country is going to pay nearly a million dollars to possibly watch his team get beat.

When your team is good lower your price, TCU and Utah have done this to get games.

Your conference is what it is. But seriously when you ask for a ridiculous payout don't go around and cry foul when no one wants to play you.

TCU and Utah are getting games, if your team is actually good you don't get cupcake payout.

The long haired dude is 100% right here.

AndChiefs
09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
My bad, I thought that was a 3rd down. But the rest of my point stands, when you're playing a schedule like theirs you need CONVINCING wins in big games.

So it's definitely not enough to beat really good teams....you must be several times better than them.

Unless of course you're Florida/Texas/Alabama. If they were to beat VA Tech by 3 it would be an excellent win showing how great their team is.

Titty Meat
09-07-2010, 02:35 PM
So it's definitely not enough to beat really good teams....you must be several times better than them.

Unless of course you're Florida/Texas/Alabama. If they were to beat VA Tech by 3 it would be an excellent win showing how great their team is.

Not really that win won't look as impressive at the end of the year. Va Tech had like 8 returning starters.

DaKCMan AP
09-07-2010, 02:38 PM

If you want to compare, Bama beat VT (who was ranked #7 at the time) in last season's first game by double-digits. Alabama then went on to beat 4 additional ranked teams prior to beating their 6th ranked team of the season in the BCSNC game.

Red Dawg
09-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Are you high? In the last 3 years they beat OK, Oregon, TCU and now VT. All top 15 or better ranked at the time. The only way they should not go to the big game is if they lose or OH St and Alabama are undefeated and that's it. The BCS put them at 3. That's too high to drop them unless they lose.

A one loss Big 12 team over undefeated Boise? They would beat any big 12 team as it is right now.

DaKCMan AP
09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Are you high? In the last 3 years they beat OK, Oregon, TCU and now VT. All top 15 or better ranked at the time. The only way they should not go to the big game is if they lose or OH St and Alabama are undefeated and that's it. The BCS put them at 3. That's too high to drop them unless they lose.

A one loss Big 12 team over undefeated Boise? They would beat any big 12 team as it is right now.

You should learn how the BCS system works, and that the first BCS poll doesn't come out for a while, before you try to argue.

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
If Boise State wins out, then somebody's going to get screwed. Either them if they miss out or another more deserving team who played a tougher schedule.

The problem is none of this would even be a fucking issue if there was a playoff game.

Reerun_KC
09-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Wouldnt be the first time a D1 team has went undefeated and won a BCS game, yet no shot at a national title...

The BCS is a freaking joke and its pathetic to even try to argue for it...

Until there is a playoff, there isnt a true national champion, just a BCS champion....

Consistent1
09-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I hate to see people discredit Boise. V-Tech didn't underestimate them IMO. They came out and took it to VT at the line of scrimmage and got a break and a huge play because they were getting huge push at the line. Boise was kicking their ass physically. Then to VT's credit they got it together and actually showed something. Plus it was pretty much a home game for VT, and Boise still calmly marched down the field for the win when it mattered. Smooth and composed as could be after it looked like VT had gotten away. I think it was a great win. I think by the end of the year some team like Bama will have fought through enough tough games to win the title, but Boise State is legit regardless.

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2010, 04:46 PM

If you watched the game, you would have seen that VA Tech basically farted away the first 17 points in the game.

A botched handoff on the first drive? A blocked punt because two guys forget to block a guy coming in? A kickoff out of bounds?

VA Tech giftwrapped that game. And yet the game came down to the final drive.

Given that Boise State looked well prepared and mistake-free, I have to question whether that game has a totally different outcome if they played in week 5 instead of week 1.

the Talking Can
09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
yes, without question

kstater
09-07-2010, 04:49 PM
If there's less than two undefeated teams from the big 6, then yes.

Consistent1
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
If you watched the game, you would have seen that VA Tech basically farted away the first 17 points in the game.

A botched handoff on the first drive? A blocked punt because two guys forget to block a guy coming in? A kickoff out of bounds?

VA Tech giftwrapped that game. And yet the game came down to the final drive.

Given that Boise State looked well prepared and mistake-free, I have to question whether that game has a totally different outcome if they played in week 5 instead of week 1.

The fumble was a big break, but that block was beautiful. Boise was driving Taylor nuts in the beginning. I thought the kid was going to try to "Vick" it every play for awhile there. He showed some composure and they got the game plan together. Give Tech credit for not getting killed. I think Boise can do a little better myself.

vailpass
09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Sure, let them into the championship game. Let's see if they are for real. Their cupcake schedule makes it impossible to tell. It would be reall interesting to see Boise and Bama swap schedules for a season. I'm guessing Boise loses more games and players in a single season than they have in a long time while Bama sends boys from opposing teams home crying to their mothers.

Jim Jones
09-07-2010, 05:05 PM

What great football games are Utah and TCU getting that Boise State isn't?

The reason Boise State asks for a higher payout is because A.) they can and B.) the bigger programs don't want to schedule a home-and-home because they're afraid to go to Boise and lose, so Boise has every right in the world to ask for more money for a one off road game.

They actually were near an agreement for a home-and-home for Ohio State to start in 2012, but Ohio State wanted to push its visit to Boise back to 2017 and they'd have probably found a way to get out of that game before it happened. It's a lose-lose situation for Boise. I would think as a "USC fan" you might understand this, but I guess not.

At this point, they're the third-ranked team in the country and a lock for the BCS if they win out. They don't have to pretend to be some lowly mid-major that has to cowtow to the demands of the traditional powerhouses anymore.

BWillie
09-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Not over a 1-loss SEC, Big 12, or Big Ten team. Unless the BIG EAST or ACC proves a whole hell of a lot this year, then I wouldn't have a problem with Boise going.

If it comes down to it like this

Alabama 11-1
Iowa 11-1
Ohio State 11-1
Nebraska 11-1
Texas 11-1

Then no way in hell Boise State deserves a shot. They might be as good as those teams, and it's not their fault, but they still get essentially 9 free games where they might as well be playing the Kansas School of the Blind.

Terribilis
09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
good there is still a chance for my Jayhawks

Mecca
09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Teams don't wanna go to Boise because it only seats 32 thousand, revenue is a factor.

AndChiefs
09-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Yeah those two turnovers and 11 penalties by BSU was definitely "mistake-free". Face it...both teams made mistakes. You can rationalize it all you want to fit your agenda but the fact of the matter is they both had their share of mistakes (running into kicker giving VA Tech a TD ring any bells) and the better team won.

I know you hate BSU for no reason simply because they generally play lesser competition but it doesn't take away from this victory.

Valiant
09-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Every ****ing year. Man I really hope Oregon State takes these smurfs out. I understand that the easy scheduling isn't their fault, but it still has to matter. If they had come out and proven they were head and shoulders better than VT it would be different, but to squeeze out a victory with the help of a ticky tack call in your only game against a ranked opponent isn't showing you deserve to be there IMO.

I think it is been proven no rank teams want to face them.. Or very very few.. Espn or SI article??

vailpass
09-07-2010, 05:16 PM
What great football games are Utah and TCU getting that Boise State isn't?

The reason Boise State asks for a higher payout is because A.) they can and B.) the bigger programs don't want to schedule a home-and-home because they're afraid to go to Boise and lose, so Boise has every right in the world to ask for more money for a one off road game.

They actually were near an agreement for a home-and-home for Ohio State to start in 2012, but Ohio State wanted to push its visit to Boise back to 2017 and they'd have probably found a way to get out of that game before it happened. It's a lose-lose situation for Boise. I would think as a "USC fan" you might understand this, but I guess not.

At this point, they're the third-ranked team in the country and a lock for the BCS if they win out. They don't have to pretend to be some lowly mid-major that has to cowtow to the demands of the traditional powerhouses anymore.

Bullshit.

Jim Jones
09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Teams don't wanna go to Boise because it only seats 32 thousand, revenue is a factor.

Of course, but Boise in turn shouldn't just bend over to the demands of the big programs because of that. Boise's attitude is, if you'd like to come play us at our house after we come to you, then great. If not, you're going to have to pay us a little more. I don't see what's wrong with that. They've earned the right to ask for it.

Still waiting to hear about all these "tough" games TCU and Utah are playing that Boise isn't. Boise State still has Oregon State this year, then at Mississippi and against Utah next year, followed by at Oregon State and at Utah in 2012.

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Given that Boise State looked well prepared and mistake-free, Hardly. BSU had a costly turnover when they were driving that VT capitalized on. Also, the stupid roughing the kicker penalty on the FG miss that gave VT a 1st down and then a TD on the next play. Lets not pretend VT giftwrapped this game for BSU. VT got their ass handed to them in the 1st. VT got their shit together and made a game of it. Both teams made their fair share of mistakes. It was a great game. I enjoyed it.

It completely baffles me how college football fans cannot respect a small school having national success. Hell, if BSU plays Ohio St. for the NC, I may root for BSU.

Jim Jones
09-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Bullshit.

Uh yeah, they can, and they are. And let's not get it twisted here. They're asking for a bigger payout than most mid-major teams get, but let's not act like they're asking for Miami or USC-level payout or anything.

vailpass
09-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Of course, but Boise in turn shouldn't just bend over to the demands of the big programs because of that. Boise's attitude is, if you'd like to come play us at our house after we come to you, then great. If not, you're going to have to pay us a little more. I don't see what's wrong with that. They've earned the right to ask for it.

Still waiting to hear about all these "tough" games TCU and Utah are playing that Boise isn't. Boise State still has Oregon State this year, then at Mississippi and against Utah next year, followed by at Oregon State and at Utah in 2012.

ROFLROFL

Jim Jones
ROFLROFL

What's so funny about that?

vailpass
What's so funny about that?

ROFLROFL

Jim Jones
09-07-2010, 05:27 PM
ROFLROFL

Strong argument, but I disagree.

Going to Ole Miss is a tough game. You're probably dumb enough that you're thinking "DURR OLE MISS? BAH GOLLY THEY JUST LOST TO JACKSONVILLE STATE THEY SUX!"

Look, MORE THAN HALF of the SEC is made up of teams like Ole Miss. I'm an Arkansas fan, but when people talk about how tough the SEC is "week in and week out", it's because of teams like Ole Miss..who has won the last two Cotton Bowl's.

Oregon State is a perennial top 25 team and Coravallis is a hell of a tough place for anyone to go play.

Utah is always a threat and lest we not forget them kicking Alabama's teeth in on a national stage in a BCS game a couple of years ago.

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah those two turnovers and 11 penalties by BSU was definitely "mistake-free". Face it...both teams made mistakes. You can rationalize it all you want to fit your agenda but the fact of the matter is they both had their share of mistakes (running into kicker giving VA Tech a TD ring any bells) and the better team won.

I know you hate BSU for no reason simply because they generally play lesser competition but it doesn't take away from this victory.

I don't hate BSU. You're right, though. I did forget about BSU mistakes. But I still stick to the original point that Va Tech looked sloppy early on and it wasn't due to BSU pressure. It was because they looked cold, which you come to expect in the first game of the season. Again, I have to ask if the outcome would be different if the two squared off against each other in midseason as opposed to the first, nerve-wracking game of the year.

And I think if BSU wins out, they deserve to go to the BCS title game, but then again, they don't. It's a fault of the most retarded sports system in the world and unfortunately, somebody's going to get screwed.

vailpass
09-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Strong argument, but I disagree.

Going to Ole Miss is a tough game. You're probably dumb enough that you're thinking "DURR OLE MISS? BAH GOLLY THEY JUST LOST TO JACKSONVILLE STATE THEY SUX!"

Look, MORE THAN HALF of the SEC is made up of teams like Ole Miss. I'm an Arkansas fan, but when people talk about how tough the SEC is "week in and week out", it's because of teams like Ole Miss..who has won the last two Cotton Bowl's.

Oregon State is a perennial top 25 team and Coravallis is a hell of a tough place for anyone to go play.

Utah is always a threat and lest we not forget them kicking Alabama's teeth in on a national stage in a BCS game a couple of years ago.

ROFLROFL

Bewbies
09-07-2010, 05:45 PM
VT is one of 2 teams that has finished with 10 wins or more the last 6 seasons. The other being Texas.

That doesn't matter, BSU basically played Iowa State on a neutral site in Idaho.

VT deserves some credit here too, second year in a row they've opened with a top 5 team. They should be rewarded for not scheduling the local high school in the first week.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 06:38 PM

Sure, they may be able to beat any one Big XII team, but can they beat as many as 9 of them? Because that's what another Big XII team would have to do in order to remain undefeated. There's a big difference between playing a one or two game season and a 8 or 9 game season. That's what so many of you that are riding Boise State's jock can't seem to comprehend.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 06:44 PM

No, it's not enough when you only have 1 real opponent. You need to leave no doubt, and they didn't AFAIC. Plus we don't even know if VT is a 'really good team' yet anyway. If they drop 2 or 3 more games then last night's win means even less.

And Florida/Texas/Alabama have no relevance to this conversation, I have no idea why you brought them up.

Jim Jones
09-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Sure, they may be able to beat any one Big XII team, but can they beat as many as 9 of them? Because that's what another Big XII team would have to do in order to remain undefeated. There's a big difference between playing a one or two game season and a 8 or 9 game season. That's what so many of you that are riding Boise State's jock can't seem to comprehend.

You play who is put in front of you. Boise State has done that and has beat everyone. They've had at least 5 or 6 "they better win this game if they want to be taken seriously" games over the last few years and have won all of them. Playing a stronger schedule doesn't give you any sort of preferential treatment in the NFL, so why should it in college?

Let's not also act like everyone in the Big 12 is Texas either. That's the problem with this argument, is you'll have dolts like Vailpass who will laugh at Boise State playing a team like Ole Miss, but then use Ole Miss in his argument for why the SEC or Big 12 is so tough. In the Big 12 on a year in, year out basis you have Texas and Oklahoma and after that it's kind of up in the air. Now yes, the rest of those teams are better than the teams Boise State faces in their conference, but it's not the grueling grind some people make it out to be either.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 06:54 PM
You play who is put in front of you. Boise State has done that and has beat everyone. They've had at least 5 or 6 "they better win this game if they want to be taken seriously" games over the last few years and have won all of them. Playing a stronger schedule doesn't give you any sort of preferential treatment in the NFL, so why should it in college?

Let's not also act like everyone in the Big 12 is Texas either. That's the problem with this argument, is you'll have dolts like Vailpass who will laugh at Boise State playing a team like Ole Miss, but then use Ole Miss in his argument for why the SEC or Big 12 is so tough. In the Big 12 on a year in, year out basis you have Texas and Oklahoma and after that it's kind of up in the air. Now yes, the rest of those teams are better than the teams Boise State faces in their conference, but it's not the grueling grind some people make it out to be either.
The NFL's schedules are far more balanced, so that's a retarded comparison to make. And for umpteenth ****ing time, I'm going to favor the team that plays 5 or 6 tough games every year over a team that plays 5 or 6 tough games over the course of several years.

Jim Jones
09-07-2010, 07:00 PM
The NFL's schedules are far more balanced, so that's a retarded comparison to make. And for umpteenth ****ing time, I'm going to favor the team that plays 5 or 6 tough games every year over a team that plays 5 or 6 tough games over the course of several years.

Sure they rotate, but on a season-by-season basis, it could certainly be seen as unfair. If you had two teams who finish 9-7 and one team's non-divisional games were against the NFC East and the others were against the NFC West and the team who played the NFC West ended up making the playoffs, you don't hear much "Well we played a tougher schedule damnit, we deserve to be in the playoffs!"

I don't think Boise State should be punished for a screwed up system. The BCS is designed to work against programs like them and they've still figured out a way to rise up to where they're at now.

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Fuck it. Lets just have the NCAA mandate that only The Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big East, and Pac-10 participate in the BCS. Fuck the small schools.

RJ
09-07-2010, 07:26 PM
**** it. Lets just have the NCAA mandate that only The Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big East, and Pac-10 participate in the BCS. **** the small schools.

That's pretty much it. If Boise wins out and doesn't play in the championship game then the NCAA should just go ahead put that in writing. Just to make it official and all.

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Sure they rotate, but on a season-by-season basis, it could certainly be seen as unfair. If you had two teams who finish 9-7 and one team's non-divisional games were against the NFC East and the others were against the NFC West and the team who played the NFC West ended up making the playoffs, you don't hear much "Well we played a tougher schedule damnit, we deserve to be in the playoffs!"

I don't think Boise State should be punished for a screwed up system. The BCS is designed to work against programs like them and they've still figured out a way to rise up to where they're at now.

In the same light, how do you punish a team like Alabama for losing to, say, Florida while beating several teams of Virginia Tech's calibre?

Like I said, some team is going to get screwed here. There are two sides to the story.

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2010, 07:39 PM
In the same light, how do you punish a team like Alabama for losing to, say, Florida while beating several teams of Virginia Tech's calibre?

Like I said, some team is going to get screwed here. There are two sides to the story.Well, if they're good enough, they will win all their games. Unfortunately, everyone cannot play everyone. Even if there was a playoff system, people would bitch and say BSU doesnt even deserve a playoff spot because their conference is weak.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Yes, the difficulty of NFL schedules do vary from year to year, but there is never the kind of discrepancy we're talking about here. Apples to oranges.

And I don't think Boise St is being punished, if they get a bid to a BCS game that's a significant reward for a small school. And it is their own fault to some degree, if they were good at any other sports they could've gotten into the PAC 10.

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Well, if they're good enough, they will win all their games. Unfortunately, everyone cannot play everyone. Even if there was a playoff system, people would bitch and say BSU doesnt even deserve a playoff spot because their conference is weak.

Going undefeated in a cupcake conference is arguably easier than only having 1 loss in a really tough conference.

And I doubt people would complain if BSU was undefeated and got the #3 or #4 seed. The issue is just placing them in the National Championship game without consistently proving they can match up to top competition later in the season.

The only goal of a playoff should be to remove most doubt about who should be #1 or #2. I've rarely heard of anybody complain about a #5 seed not being #2.

veist
09-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Yes, the difficulty of NFL schedules do vary from year to year, but there is never the kind of discrepancy we're talking about here. Apples to oranges.

And I don't think Boise St is being punished, if they get a bid to a BCS game that's a significant reward for a small school. And it is their own fault to some degree, if they were good at any other sports they could've gotten into the PAC 10.

Get out of my head! Just about everything you've said in here I've said to people in conversations when they insist to me that --presumably because ESPN told them so-- if Boise runs the table they have to get a shot at the BCSCG.

warpaint*
09-07-2010, 08:00 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DaKCMan AP
09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Uh yeah, they can, and they are. And let's not get it twisted here. They're asking for a bigger payout than most mid-major teams get, but let's not act like they're asking for Miami or USC-level payout or anything.

You clearly don't understand how out of conference scheduling and payouts work. Teams like Miami or USC get very low payouts. It's the shitty teams like Wyoming and Western Kentucky who get the largest payouts. If Boise doesn't want to be treated like a Middle Tennessee State or Youngstown State, then they shouldn't demand payouts that those teams receive.

Spott
09-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Wouldnt be the first time a D1 team has went undefeated and won a BCS game, yet no shot at a national title...

The BCS is a freaking joke and its pathetic to even try to argue for it...

Until there is a playoff, there isnt a true national champion, just a BCS champion....

Yep.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing in favor of the BCS.

DaKCMan AP
09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing in favor of the BCS.

IMO, the BCS has worked every year since 2004.

If anything, I'd add a plus-one game over a full blown playoff.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 08:43 PM

The thing is, the NCAA can't do anything resembling a playoff of any type unless all FBS conferences are represented, so the plus one just isn't going to happen.

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2010, 09:00 PM

I disagree. 5 of the last 6 BCS Championship games have been shitty blowouts. Should Oklahoma have been the representative in 2008? OSU in 2007? Lots of undefeated teams like Utah and Boise State didn't even get a chance to even compete for the national title.

A playoff system makes sense. All you need is the top 4. I don't think you need to go beyond that. I don't see any problem with that.

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2010, 10:08 PM

Of course you would say that, your team won twice. :)

alanm
09-07-2010, 10:12 PM
They've been trying to do that. No one wants to play them.Nebraska offered them a 2 for 1. Nebraska gets 2 games in Lincoln and 1 in Boise since Nebraska would lose money playing in Boise and then paying Boise $750,000 both games to play in Lincoln. The Huskers are still waiting to hear back from Boise.

Bugeater
09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Nebraska offered them a 2 for 1. Nebraska gets 2 games in Lincoln and 1 in Boise since Nebraska would lose money playing in Boise and then paying Boise $750,000 both games to play in Lincoln. The Huskers are still waiting to hear back from Boise.
I remember hearing about that, but I thought there was a scheduling conflict? Something about the third game not being able to be played until 2018 or some shit.

Jim Jones
09-07-2010, 11:05 PM
You clearly don't understand how out of conference scheduling and payouts work. Teams like Miami or USC get very low payouts. It's the shitty teams like Wyoming and Western Kentucky who get the largest payouts. If Boise doesn't want to be treated like a Middle Tennessee State or Youngstown State, then they shouldn't demand payouts that those teams receive.

They get a lower payout because those games are scheduled as a home-and-home. If it was a one-off game, those programs would be demanding huge money.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Where's the "I'm fucking sick of hearing about Boise Fucking State"-option?

patteeu
09-07-2010, 11:48 PM
I voted "yes", but it really depends on what everyone else does and how well they play while running the table. If they squeak by some patsies while a couple of Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, or SEC schools roll through their tough schedule (even if they actually lose a close game to a tough opponent), I'll be a lot less inclined to support Boise State's bid than if they dominate through the entire remainder of the year.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 05:38 AM
They get a lower payout because those games are scheduled as a home-and-home. If it was a one-off game, those programs would be demanding huge money.

If Boise wants a home-and-home then they need to build a stadium that holds more than 32,000 people. It's all about money and you get a hell of a lot less with 32,000 people than 90,000+.

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 07:29 AM
If you want a real national champion.... implement a playoff...

Until then? Paper BCS Championships...

And a lot of meaningless discussions...

Jerm
09-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Pre-season polls need to be abolished...

The BCS is a joke to me because now you're season can either be made or fall out after one freakin' week.

Boise St. is set up for a run to the NC game now after the first game of the year...it's a joke. On the flip side, one loss for almost any other contender means that virtually have no shot at winning the NC.

Get sick of the argument that oh this is why CFB is sooooo exciting, every week is like a playoff...uh no, it's a sham.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Hillbilly boy, what is so hard for you to understand about all this? You should have quit after you mentioned Oregon State and Mississippi.

DonTellMeShowMe
09-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Pre-season polls need to be abolished...

The BCS is a joke to me because now you're season can either be made or fall out after one freakin' week.

Boise St. is set up for a run to the NC game now after the first game of the year...it's a joke. On the flip side, one loss for almost any other contender means that virtually have no shot at winning the NC.

Get sick of the argument that oh this is why CFB is sooooo exciting, every week is like a playoff...uh no, it's a sham.

Explain....I hear this a lot from people who love that every week is "like a playoff". How do you mean its sham

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 12:25 PM
If you want a real national champion.... implement a playoff...

Until then? Paper BCS Championships...

Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true.

Whether you think a team is a "real" national champion or not holds zero weight.

BigCatDaddy
09-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Explain....I hear this a lot from people who love that every week is "like a playoff". How do you mean its sham

Because is some weeks it's tough to find 2 top 25 teams even playing each other. Colorado at Texas just doesn't feel like a playoff game to me.

Pushead2
09-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I hope Boise goes to the title game and wins it....

The Franchise
09-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I hope Boise goes to the title game and gets their asses handed to them....

FYP

Chiefnj2
09-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Whether you think a team is a "real" national champion or not holds zero weight.

There isn't a national champion, there is a BCS champion.

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
FYP

that is what everyone hopes... But damn they keep just winning...

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Your right, because when you have teams from the bigger conferences undefeated at the end of the year, one is the BCS Champion and the other is a BCS bowl champion....

it holds zero weight... Thanks for agreeing...

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
There isn't a national champion, there is a BCS champion.

The game is officially titled the BCS National Championship Game.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 12:52 PM
one is the BCS National Champion

FYP

vailpass
09-08-2010, 12:53 PM
that is what everyone hopes... But damn they keep just winning their one challenging regular season game a year then they go hide in their universally acknowledged weak schedule for the rest of the season ...
fyp

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 12:57 PM
fyp

Then stop putting them in BCS games and embarrassing the integrity of college football.

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
The game is officially titled the BCS National Championship Game.

How can it be a true championship when you have more than one undefeated team?

vailpass
09-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Then stop putting them in BCS games and embarrassing the integrity of college football.

? What integrity? I see no $ in integrity.

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 01:05 PM
?

whats the question?

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Hillbilly boy, what is so hard for you to understand about all this? You should have quit after you mentioned Oregon State and Mississippi.

Still waiting to hear what's so bad about Oregon State and Ole Miss, but judging from the quality of your posts, I'm going to go ahead and guess you're too stupid to have any sort of logical answer.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 01:07 PM
whats the question?

Sorry, I hit enter too early.
This kind of thing has never happened to me before, honest. There were just a lot of distractions and I'm under a lot of stress.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:08 PM
How can it be a true championship when you have more than one undefeated team?

A team's on-field performance during the regular season is the principal factor in determining its position in the BCS standings. The formula consists of three components, each weighted equally: the USA Today Coaches Poll, the Harris Interactive College Football Poll and an average of six computer rankings. The Bowl Championship Series is designed to ensure that the two top-rated teams in the country meet in the national championship game.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Still waiting to hear what's so bad about Oregon State and Ole Miss, but I'm guessing you're not smart enough to have any logical answer. Should Boise State make trips to Ohio State, Texas and USC every year to please you?

Look at hillbilly boy throwing out the "not smart enough" line. This is the guy who says things like "lest we not forget" (have someone from north of the MasonDixon explain the concept of double negatives to you).

I don't expect Boise to plan their schedule around me but if they could get their hayseed supporters to quit posting on Chiefs Planet that would be nice.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 01:10 PM
A team's on-field performance during the regular season is the principal factor in determining its position in the BCS standings. The formula consists of three components, each weighted equally: the USA Today Coaches Poll, the Harris Interactive College Football Poll and an average of six computer rankings. The Bowl Championship Series is designed to ensure that the two top-rated teams in the country meet in the national championship game.

Wish they weighed SOS more heavily, like they used to.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Look at hillbilly boy throwing out the "not smart enough" line. This is the guy who says things like "lest we not forget" (have someone from north of the MasonDixon explain the concept of double negatives to you).

I don't expect Boise to plan their schedule around me but if they could get their hayseed supporters to quit posting on Chiefs Planet that would be nice.

So once again I'll ask, since apparently you STILL can't come up with a logical answer - what is wrong with playing Oregon State and Ole Miss?

BTW, you might not be under so much "stress" if you took that cock out of your mouth before posting.

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Sorry, I hit enter too early.
This kind of thing has never happened to me before, honest. There were just a lot of distractions and I'm under a lot of stress.

No probs dude...

Its just I find it funny that people are bashing Boise St for being in a shitty conference..

Yet, people cant beat them, the big boys are scared of them and when they go to a BCS bowl. They win.

I dont have a dog in the fight, Shit KU cant even beat NDSU right now. But IF everyone wants to protect College Football from the likes of Boise St. Then the traditional powers are going to have to schedule up Boise St on a home and home. Start beating them down and send them on their merry way.

Until then... its cute watching everyone scurry away like cockroaches when Boise St flips on the light switch....

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 01:14 PM

yet in 04-05 the SEC champion was undefeated and left out of the BCS Championship game...

vailpass
09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
No probs dude...

Its just I find it funny that people are bashing Boise St for being in a shitty conference..

Yet, people cant beat them, the big boys are scared of them and when they go to a BCS bowl. They win.

I dont have a dog in the fight, Shit KU cant even beat NDSU right now. But IF everyone wants to protect College Football from the likes of Boise St. Then the traditional powers are going to have to schedule up Boise St on a home and home. Start beating them down and send them on their merry way.

Until then... its cute watching everyone scurry away like cockroaches when Boise St flips on the light switch....

Boise won't play anyone. How do you know "people can't beat them" when they don't play anyone?
"Big boys are scared of them"? Nope. There isn't anything for them to gain by playing mid-major upstart Boise State. Gaurantee you Bama or Florida or Ohio State or any big boy school is not scared of Boise.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Boise won't play anyone. How do you know "people can't beat them" when they don't play anyone?
"Big boys are scared of them"? Nope. There isn't anything for them to gain by playing mid-major upstart Boise State. Gaurantee you Bama or Florida or Ohio State or any big boy school is not scared of Boise.

ROFLROFL

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Wish they weighed SOS more heavily, like they used to.

I just wish they would go to 4 super conferences with 2 divisions each and the 8 division winners go to a playoff system.

End of controversy.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
yet in 04-05 the SEC champion was undefeated and left out of the BCS Championship game...

Ah, but you see the BCS National Championship Game was not in existence in 2004. USC beat Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl and Auburn beat Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl. This led to the creation of the BCS National Championship Game. Since it's inception I have no doubt that the proper National Champion has been crowned each season.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
So once again I'll ask, since apparently you STILL can't come up with a logical answer - what is wrong with playing Oregon State and Ole Miss?

BTW, you might not be under so much "stress" if you took that cock out of your mouth before posting.

Hey ya'll come lookit JimBobBillyBoy going to the cock just like his sister/mom and uncle/dad learn't 'im to. What a purty mouth!

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 01:19 PM

So your saying that OU, Texas, tOSU, Florida, USC, Bama would just drool at the opportunity to fly to and play Boise St in early sept?

I dont think you get coach on that level by committing suicide or being a complete moron...

No way those types of programs risk losing to Boise early in the year, when you have BCS Championship hopes....

vailpass
09-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I just wish they would go to 4 super conferences with 2 divisions each and the 8 division winners go to a playoff system.

End of controversy.

Yep. Either that or someone needs to figure out how to increase the revenue stream via a playoff system. The NCAA goes wherever the $ flows.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:20 PM

End of controversy.

Would it end the controversy even if teams like Boise St, BYU or TCU are left out of the "super conferences"?

vailpass
09-08-2010, 01:21 PM
So your saying that OU, Texas, tOSU, Florida, USC, Bama would just drool at the opportunity to fly to and play Boise St in early sept?

I dont think you get coach on that level by committing suicide or being a complete moron...

No way those types of programs risk losing to Boise early in the year, when you have BCS Championship hopes....

Why would any major want to travel to a mid-major 30,000 seat stadium to play a game that meant nothing to them?
Your problem is you think everyone else gives a shit about what Boise wants when it needs to be the other way around.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:21 PM

The worst thing about the BCS is how much it favors teams who start the season ranked highly. I don't give two shits about Kansas, but I think back to 2007 when Kansas finished 11-1, but an 2-loss LSU team made the BCS title game over them because Kansas kind of came out of nowhere that season and had an uphill climb in the rankings.

I feel like if a team like say, Indiana, had a huge year this season and went 12-0 or 11-1, they'd still have no possible chance of jumping the Florida-Ohio State-Texas caliber teams, even if those teams finished with the same record, or had one more loss than Alabama. It's just a flawed system.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Flying to Boise St and playing an OOC game has nothing to do with being "scared" and everything to do with $$. Why would Florida give up a full 90,000+ capacity stadium to fly all the way to Boise Idaho to get a share of a 32,000 seat stadium? It makes zero economic sense. That's not even considering the fact that Florida's schedule leaves nothing to prove.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Hey ya'll come lookit JimBobBillyBoy going to the cock just like his sister/mom and uncle/dad learn't 'im to. What a purty mouth!

I'm just going to take this response and assume that you have no answer to the question. Thanks for playing.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Flying to Boise St and playing an OOC game has nothing to do with being "scared" and everything to do with $$. Why would Florida give up a full 90,000+ capacity stadium to fly all the way to Boise Idaho to get a share of a 32,000 seat stadium? It makes zero economic sense. That's not even considering the fact that Florida's schedule leaves nothing to prove.

Florida is too scared to leave it's own state ANYWAY, regardless of if it's a 32,000 seater or 100,000 seater, so let's not even bring them up.

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Ah, but you see the BCS National Championship Game was not in existence in 2004. USC beat Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl and Auburn beat Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl. This led to the creation of the BCS National Championship Game. Since it's inception I have no doubt that the proper National Champion has been crowned each season.

http://screencast.com/t/ZjUxN2U1Y2M

you got me there....

As saying the proper BCS champion? Its a matter of opinion...

Maybe you should start a poll?

Do you feel the proper BCS Champion is crowed each year?

Yes or No

Or would a playoff solve all these issues?

Yes or No

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
The worst thing about the BCS is how much it favors teams who start the season ranked highly. I don't give two shits about Kansas, but I think back to 2007 when Kansas finished 11-1, but an 2-loss LSU team made the BCS title game over them because Kansas kind of came out of nowhere that season and had an uphill climb in the rankings.

Go ahead and completely ignore that fact that Kansas did not win their conference.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Florida is too scared to leave it's own state ANYWAY, regardless of if it's a 32,000 seater or 100,000 seater, so let's not even bring them up.

Yes, Florida is scared to leave the state. Which is why they never travel to Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge. It's also why they lost the NC game in Glendale and the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm just going to take this response and assume that you have no answer to the question. Thanks for playing.

No answer to what N00b? You bring up two teams as top-tier opponents who lost to Jackson State and K-State last week yet you don't want that mentioned as part of a response.
So you tell us: how the hell are Mississippi and Oregon State to be considered top tier opponents?

vailpass
09-08-2010, 01:28 PM

you got me there....

Yes or No

Yes or No

How do you decide who gets in to the playoffs? How many teams get into the playoffs? Where are the playoff games held?

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:29 PM

you got me there....

Yes or No

Yes or No

The results of such a poll will depend upon who is asked. On a board like this which consists mainly of KU & MU fans, the answer will likely be no for the first and yes for the second. On a SEC board or a board of teams like Texas, Oklahoma, USC, ohio state, etc. the answer will likely be yes for the first and no for the second.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:31 PM
How do you decide who gets in to the playoffs? How many teams get into the playoffs? Where are the playoff games held?

IMO, there will always be complaining.. playoff or not. Just like in the NCAA tournament the last team out will bitch & moan.

Also, a playoff will dramatically reduce the importance of every game. Out of conference games for BCS conferences will be absolutely meaningless. With the system the way it is now, every game matters and I will watch games with active interest that I otherwise wouldn't care about.

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Would it end the controversy even if teams like Boise St, BYU or TCU are left out of the "super conferences"?

Actually I dont think they would be left out of the super conferences.

Shit BYU has its own TV station... You can watch anything BYU sports at any time...

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Yes, Florida is scared to leave the state. Which is why they never travel to Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge. It's also why they lost the NC game in Glendale and the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

I think he was talking OOC games...

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:34 PM
No answer to what N00b? You bring up two teams as top-tier opponents who lost to Jackson State and K-State last week yet you don't want that mentioned as part of a response.
So you tell us: how the hell are Mississippi and Oregon State to be considered top tier opponents?

Oregon State lost to K-State? That's news to me.

I expected that kind of response from a mouthbreather like yourself. Ole Miss lost last Saturday, so that makes them a complete joke, right? Nevermind two straight Cotton Bowl wins. You're the kind of guy who will go on and on pumping up the SEC as this impossibly tough conference because of "tough games every week", but then you go and laugh at Ole Miss?! Aside from Florida-Georgia-LSU-Alabama, the rest of that conference is full of Ole Miss-caliber teams. Get real.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Go ahead and completely ignore that fact that Kansas did not win their conference.

When has that mattered to the BCS? Oklahoma played for the national title in 2003 as the #1 ranked BCS team even though they didn't win the Big 12. Not a sufficient excuse.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Actually I dont think they would be left out of the super conferences.

Shit BYU has its own TV station... You can watch anything BYU sports at any time...

Someone will get left out. The current 6 BCS conferences (plus ND) contain 66 teams.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
When has that mattered to the BCS? Oklahoma played for the national title in 2003 as the #1 ranked BCS team even though they didn't win the Big 12. Not a sufficient excuse.

Again, that was before the creation of the BCS National Championship Game. Today, no team will get into the BCS National Championship Game without winning their conference.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
IMO, there will always be complaining.. playoff or not. Just like in the NCAA tournament the last team out will bitch & moan.

Also, a playoff will dramatically reduce the importance of every game. Out of conference games for BCS conferences will be absolutely meaningless. With the system the way it is now, every game matters and I will watch games with active interest that I otherwise wouldn't care about.

Eh, if you had a four or even eight team playoff, every game would still matter. You wouldn't be able to lose more than a game a season usually. Two at the absolute most probably.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
I think he was talking OOC games...

Of course he's being highly selective and ridiculous. Are the bowl games against ohio state, Cincinnati, Oklahoma not OOC games?

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Eh, if you had a four or even eight team playoff, every game would still matter. You wouldn't be able to lose more than a game a season usually. Two at the absolute most probably.

You could lose all of your OOC games, go undefeated in-conference, and make the playoff.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Of course he's being highly selective and ridiculous. Are the bowl games against ohio state, Cincinnati, Oklahoma not OOC games?

Uh, they're BOWL GAMES. On a neutral site. Huge difference there.

I was talking about OOC games and how Florida doesn't travel out of its own state to play anyone OOC. I mean, Alabama is going to Penn State next year. When's the last time Florida went out of its state to play a tough OOC game like that?

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Uh, they're BOWL GAMES. On a neutral site. Huge difference there.

I was talking about OOC games and how Florida doesn't travel out of its own state to play anyone OOC. I mean, Alabama is going to Penn State next year. When's the last time Florida went out of its state to play a tough OOC game like that?

How many schools have in-state OOC game opponents like FSU & Miami? Not many. That's why Florida doesn't have to travel outside the state for OOC.

What in-state opponent is Alabama going to play for a strong OOC game?

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:43 PM
You could lose all of your OOC games, go undefeated in-conference, and make the playoff.

In last year's final BCS rankings, the top 8 teams all had no more than two losses. The two loss teams were Ohio State and Iowa. So as I said, you'd have to lose no more than two games, and likely just lose one game, to have a real hope of getting into the 8-team playoff. It's not going to devalue anything.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:46 PM
In last year's final BCS rankings, the top 8 teams all had no more than two losses. The two loss teams were Ohio State and Iowa. So as I said, you'd have to lose no more than two games, and likely just lose one game, to have a real hope of getting into the 8-team playoff. It's not going to devalue anything.

In 2007, at the end of the regular season, there were 3 teams with 1 or less loss and 10 teams with 2 losses.

Last season there were 5 undefeated teams and 1-loss Florida. Then there were 6 2-loss teams.

Who gets left out?

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:49 PM
How many schools have in-state OOC game opponents like FSU & Miami? Not many. That's why Florida doesn't have to travel outside the state for OOC.

What in-state opponent is Alabama going to play for a strong OOC game?

Well FSU and Miami don't seem to have any problems. FSU goes to Oklahoma on Saturday and to West Virginia in a couple of years. Miami went to Ohio State and is traveling to Notre Dame and Nebraska in the next few years. Hell they're going to Rutgers and Memphis too. That's what I love about Miami. They'll play just about anyone.

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 01:49 PM
In 2007, at the end of the regular season, there were 3 teams with 1 or less loss and 10 teams with 2 losses.

Last season there were 5 undefeated teams and 1-loss Florida. Then there were 6 2-loss teams.

Who gets left out?

Florida...

That would be AWESOME!

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Well FSU and Miami don't seem to have any problems. FSU goes to Oklahoma on Saturday and to West Virginia in a couple of years. Miami went to Ohio State and is traveling to Notre Dame and Nebraska in the next few years. Hell they're going to Rutgers and Memphis too. That's what I love about Miami. They'll play just about anyone.

Miami just about always has a tough schedule. Agreed.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Who gets left out?

For last year - all 5 undefeated teams would get in the playoff, plus Florida, and then the BCS would determine which of the six 2-loss teams would get in.

For 2007, same thing - the three teams with 1 loss or less get in and the BCS determines which of the 2-loss teams round out the final 8.

Obviously, that would still leave fans of some teams pissed, but in the end you're letting 8 teams get a shot at the national champonship, which is A LOT more fair than picking two teams to play for the title and shutting out the other undefeated teams or other teams that have the same record.

Bugeater
09-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Oregon State lost to K-State? That's news to me.

I expected that kind of response from a mouthbreather like yourself. Ole Miss lost last Saturday, so that makes them a complete joke, right? Nevermind two straight Cotton Bowl wins. You're the kind of guy who will go on and on pumping up the SEC as this impossibly tough conference because of "tough games every week", but then you go and laugh at Ole Miss?! Aside from Florida-Georgia-LSU-Alabama, the rest of that conference is full of Ole Miss-caliber teams. Get real.
So you're admitting Ole Miss is a lower tier team, but yet you act like Boise should get props for playing them? You're contradicting yourself.

Not to mention that Boise may not even play one team the caliber of the top 4 SEC teams you listed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2010, 02:36 PM

ROFL This thread has gone full-n00btard.

buddha
09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
The best thing that could possibly happen is to have Boise get jacked by the BCS and let the law suits fly. Until we get to a playoff system, somebody is going to get screwed every year.

Bugeater
09-08-2010, 02:51 PM
The best thing that could possibly happen is to have Boise get jacked by the BCS and let the law suits fly. Until we get to a playoff system, somebody is going to get screwed every year.
Lawsuits? On what grounds?

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 02:54 PM
So you're admitting Ole Miss is a lower tier team, but yet you act like Boise should get props for playing them? You're contradicting yourself.

Not to mention that Boise may not even play one team the caliber of the top 4 SEC teams you listed.

Um no, it's the exact opposite. I said I think Ole Miss is a tough team and they've had two straight seasons that ended in a Cotton Bowl victory to prove it. Boise State going to play in Oxford is an incredibly tough game.

The people contradicting themselves are the ones who will go on and on about how tough conferences like the SEC are, but then laugh when I bring up Boise State going to play Ole Miss. Like I said, more than half of the SEC is made up of teams like Ole Miss. So you can't prop them up as being so tough on one hand, but then laugh at them as a legit opponent for Boise on the other hand.

Bugeater
09-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Um no, it's the exact opposite. I said I think Ole Miss is a tough team and they've had two straight seasons that ended in a Cotton Bowl victory to prove it. Boise State going to play in Oxford is an incredibly tough game.

The people contradicting themselves are the ones who will go on and on about how tough conferences like the SEC are, but then laugh when I bring up Boise State going to play Ole Miss. Like I said, more than half of the SEC is made up of teams like Ole Miss. So you can't prop them up as being so tough on one hand, but then laugh at them as a legit opponent for Boise on the other hand.
OK, it's ONE legitimate opponent, the kind of opponent that SEC teams face EVERY WEEK. Do you really not see the difference here?

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 03:02 PM
OK, it's ONE legitimate opponent, the kind of opponent that SEC teams face EVERY WEEK. Do you really not see the difference here?

Of course I see the difference. I'm not arguing that they have as tough a schedule, I'm just saying that they DO play tough opponents even if they aren't traveling to Texas and Oklahoma every season.

The Franchise
09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
vs #10 Virginia Tech
@Wyoming
vs Oregon State
@New Mexico State
vs Toledo
@San Jose State
vs Louisiana Tech
vs Hawaii
@Idaho
vs Fresno State
@Nevada
vs Utah State

morphius
09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
When you have a system that can pick a team that didn't even make it to the championship game in their own conference, going with an unbeaten Boise State makes as much sense as anything else in the BCS...

Bugeater
09-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Of course I see the difference. I'm not arguing that they have as tough a schedule, I'm just saying that they DO play tough opponents even if they aren't traveling to Texas and Oklahoma every season.
And they will continue to pay the price for that weak schedule. It is what it is.

BigCatDaddy
09-08-2010, 03:19 PM
vs #10 Virginia Tech
@Wyoming
vs Oregon State
@New Mexico State
vs Toledo
@San Jose State
vs Louisiana Tech
vs Hawaii
@Idaho
vs Fresno State
@Nevada
vs Utah State

Thread over.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 03:25 PM
ROFL This thread has gone full-n00btard.

He actually said that earlier in this thread. "Lest we not forget". Arkansas FTW!

The Franchise
09-08-2010, 03:33 PM
If both of these teams ran the table......which would deserve a shot at the NC?

Team A:

vs Purdue
vs Michigan
@Michigan State
vs #25 Stanford
@Boston College
vs Pittsburgh
vs Western Michigan
vs Navy*
vs Tulsa
vs #20 Utah
vs Army*
@#16 USC

Team B:

vs #10 Virginia Tech
@Wyoming
vs Oregon State
@New Mexico State
vs Toledo
@San Jose State
vs Louisiana Tech
vs Hawaii
@Idaho
vs Fresno State
@Nevada
vs Utah State

BigCatDaddy
09-08-2010, 03:39 PM
I think a better point is do you take a 1 loss team from this schedule + a conference title game win or an undefeated BSU. I think 1 loss with this schedule + a win over another ranked team in a conference title game is much more impressive. That's 5-1 vs ranked teams compared to 1-0.

vsLouisiana-Monroe
@#22 Georgia
vs#1 Alabama
vsTexas A&M*
@#21 Auburn
vsMississippi
vsVanderbilt
@#24 South Carolina
vsUTEP TBD
@Mississippi State
vs#19 LSU

vailpass
09-08-2010, 03:40 PM

Team A:

vs Purdue
vs Michigan
@Michigan State
vs #25 Stanford
@Boston College
vs Pittsburgh
vs Western Michigan
vs Navy*
vs Tulsa
vs #20 Utah
vs Army*
@#16 USC

Team B:

vs #10 Virginia Tech
@Wyoming
vs Oregon State
@New Mexico State
vs Toledo
@San Jose State
vs Louisiana Tech
vs Hawaii
@Idaho
vs Fresno State
@Nevada
vs Utah State

Neither. What does Notre Dame have to do with anything.
The REAL problem will come if both Boise and TCU go undefeated and Bama/Ohio State/Florida have 1 loss against a top-tier opponent.

The Franchise
09-08-2010, 03:41 PM
The REAL problem will come if both Boise and TCU go undefeated and Bama/Ohio State/Florida have 1 loss against a top-tier opponent.

Notre Dame schedules about the same quality of opponents.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Notre Dame schedules about the same quality of opponents.

Do they? I haven't noticed ND lately. Not sure what ND has to do with any of this.
I'll be curious to see what Boise's final SOS is this year compared to the tier-1 programs.

|Zach|
09-08-2010, 03:55 PM

http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgpp0098+airship-hindenburg-oh-shit-poster.jpg

vailpass
09-08-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgpp0098+airship-hindenburg-oh-shit-poster.jpg

:D Exactly. Would the BCS allow that to be the championship game?

Pants
09-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Still waiting to hear what's so bad about Oregon State and Ole Miss, but judging from the quality of your posts, I'm going to go ahead and guess you're too stupid to have any sort of logical answer.

You're 100% correct. Expect a lot of "ROFL" replies and no counters.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 04:23 PM
You're 100% correct. Expect a lot of "ROFL" replies and no counters.

Says iron-curtain kid who couldn't point out a football player in his family tree if you held a kalishnikov to his head.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
He actually said that earlier in this thread. "Lest we not forget". Arkansas FTW!

Sorry, I was "under stress"...wasn't that your excuse for whatever retarded drivel you posted a couple of pages back?

Team A:

vs Purdue
vs Michigan
@Michigan State
vs #25 Stanford
@Boston College
vs Pittsburgh
vs Western Michigan
vs Navy*
vs Tulsa
vs #20 Utah
vs Army*
@#16 USC

Team B:

vs #10 Virginia Tech
@Wyoming
vs Oregon State
@New Mexico State
vs Toledo
@San Jose State
vs Louisiana Tech
vs Hawaii
@Idaho
vs Fresno State
@Nevada
vs Utah State

If they both go undefeated, then they both "deserve a shot" at a National Title. That's why I want a playoff.

But yeah, as others have said, what does Notre Dame have to do with this? For one, they aren't going undefeated anyway and secondly, you're one to really question the fairness of it all considering that Notre Dame has the most ridiculously unfair contract with the BCS of anyone in college football.

The Franchise
09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Because Notre Dame is usually known for having a "weak" schedule except for 2-3 games.

And I love how Notre Dame isn't going undefeated. And you know this because?

vailpass
09-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Sorry, I was "under stress"...wasn't that your excuse for whatever retarded drivel you posted a couple of pages back?

If they both go undefeated, then they both "deserve a shot" at a National Title. That's why I want a playoff.

But yeah, as others have said, what does Notre Dame have to do with this? For one, they aren't going undefeated anyway and secondly, you're one to really question the fairness of it all considering that Notre Dame has the most ridiculously unfair contract with the BCS of anyone in college football.

1. "I was under stress" was a joke relating to premature posting. I hear humor is easier to grasp if you put shoes on.

2.Yeah, those others that said "what does Notre Dame have to do with it"? That was me.

Anything else you want to share Cletus?

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
1. "I was under stress" was a joke relating to premature posting. I hear humor is easier to grasp if you put shoes on.

2.Yeah, those others that said "what does Notre Dame have to do with it"? That was me.

Anything else you want to share Cletus?

My apologies. I'll be sure to namedrop you next time if it's that important to you.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
My apologies. I'll be sure to namedrop you next time if it's that important to you.

Act like you don't recognize your fuck up? Don't you know that's how your niece became your sister and your ex-mother-in-law?

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Because Notre Dame is usually known for having a "weak" schedule except for 2-3 games.

And I love how Notre Dame isn't going undefeated. And you know this because?Whats happened to ND over the past 10 yrs or so? Seriously, they cannot recruit for shit. They used to produce some elite talent. When was the last time a ND player was drafted in the top 10? I'm drawing a blank here.

BTW, I'm not trying to talk shit here. :)

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Act like you don't recognize your **** up? Don't you know that's how your niece became your sister and your ex-mother-in-law?

ROFL - how is me not mentioning your name a "**** up"? Does it make that much of a difference if your name is included in that post instead of what I said? Would that stroke your ego? Stop taking the internet so seriously.

EDIT: And if youre talking about lest we not forget..I don't really care..imagine that! If I cared that much I'd go back and edit it. Once again, stop taking the internet so seriously.

The Franchise
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Whats happened to ND over the past 10 yrs or so? Seriously, they cannot recruit for shit. They used to produce some elite talent. When was the last time a ND player was drafted in the top 10? I'm drawing a blank here.

BTW, I'm not trying to talk shit here. :)

Brady Quinn.....oh wait.

Jimmy Clausen.....fuck.

They haven't gotten the talent through recruiting because players don't view them as a powerhouse anymore. Plus I think that academic standards has a lot to do with it as well.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Brady Quinn.....oh wait.

Jimmy Clausen.....****.

They haven't gotten the talent through recruiting because players don't view them as a powerhouse anymore. Plus I think that academic standards has a lot to do with it as well.

Actually hasn't their recruiting been fine? They were getting top classes under Weis every year. He just couldn't coach them.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
ROFL - how is me not mentioning your name a "**** up"? Does it make that much of a difference if your name is included in that post instead of what I said? Would that stroke your ego? Stop taking the internet so seriously.

EDIT: And if youre talking about lest we not forget..I don't really care..imagine that! If I cared that much I'd go back and edit it. Once again, stop taking the internet so seriously.

Not mentioning my name. Quoting my own post to me then acting like I took the opposite view. Never mind, go check your still and make sure the chain is tight on the three-eyed kid under the hay loft.

The Franchise
09-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Actually hasn't their recruiting been fine? They were getting top classes under Weis every year. He just couldn't coach them.

IMO....we had a NC offense under Weis. His problem was that he couldn't build a defense for shit.

I'm liking the way that the team is looking under Kelly. I know it was just Purdue....but we held their offense to 12 points. 2 of those points don't count because of the safety.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Not mentioning my name. Quoting my own post to me then acting like I took the opposite view. Never mind, go check your still and make sure the chain is tight on the three-eyed kid under the hay loft.

What the flying fuck are you talking about son? I was quoting two different people about two different topics in the same post. I responded to you first, then the Notre Dame guy. Each one had nothing to do with the other.

But I'll apologize again for not mentioning your name. I know how seriously you take this posting stuff.

vailpass
09-08-2010, 04:59 PM
What the flying **** are you talking about son? I was quoting two different people about two different topics in the same post. I responded to you first, then the Notre Dame guy. Each one had nothing to do with the other.

But I'll apologize again for not mentioning your name. I know how seriously you take this posting stuff.

Nah, I don't take it seriously. I'm nothing more than a guest and an instigator here. Stirring shit entertains me. Cheers.

Pants
09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Says iron-curtain kid who couldn't point out a football player in his family tree if you held a kalishnikov to his head.

LMAO

Irrelevant and wrong. You know what's relevant though? You saying that Oregon State lost to K-State.

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Someone will get left out. The current 6 BCS conferences (plus ND) contain 66 teams.

4 conferences, 2 divisions with 10 teams per division....

that is 80 teams, with the top 8 going to the National Championship playoffs, while the rest go to the bowl games....

Playoffs held in the Traditional 4 big bowls, with a final Four rotated between the traditional bowls and a week later the NC somewhere like Dallas or Phoenix...

Just an example...

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 06:26 PM
4 conferences, 2 divisions with 10 teams per division....

that is 80 teams, with the top 8 going to the National Championship playoffs, while the rest go to the bowl games....

Playoffs held in the Traditional 4 big bowls, with a final Four rotated between the traditional bowls and a week later the NC somewhere like Dallas or Phoenix...

Just an example...

Are you going to shorten the season or make the top teams play a 14-15 game season?

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Are you going to shorten the season or make the top teams play a 14-15 game season?

Nah, Fuck'em... they are already playing 12-13 games now. What is 1 or 2 more games?

No need to pull out the kids have class card, or they need to study....

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Nah, Fuck'em... they are already playing 12-13 games now. What is 1 or 2 more games?

No need to pull out the kids have class card, or they need to study....

Right... cause they're all going pro. :rolleyes: Playing a 15 game season would be a lot for some of these guys, they're not professionals. There's a reason why a lot of rookies hit a wall late in the NFL season.

Doesn't matter though. I don't think what you've proposed has any shot of happening.

Reerun_KC
09-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Right... cause they're all going pro. :rolleyes: Playing a 15 game season would be a lot for some of these guys, they're not professionals. There's a reason why a lot of rookies hit a wall late in the NFL season.

so 13 games is okay, but 14 or 15 is just too much?

:eek:

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
so 13 games is okay, but 14 or 15 is just too much?

:eek:

Actually, looking closer it'd be 16 games. They play 14 now if you include conference championships & bowl games. That's a lot. Plus with the final games being rivalry, conf. champ, and 3 playoff games those kids are going to be pretty beat up.

Jim Jones
09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Actually, looking closer it'd be 16 games. They play 14 now if you include conference championships & bowl games. That's a lot. Plus with the final games being rivalry, conf. champ, and 3 playoff games those kids are going to be pretty beat up.

Whatever two teams end up in the Division II Championship usually end up playing 15-16 game seasons, so I don't see why it would be such a hardship for the Division I programs.

And if it is, then shorten the season. Cut the fluff games. 10 regular season games for everyone. It'd be perfect.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Whatever two teams end up in the Division II Championship usually end up playing 15-16 game seasons, so I don't see why it would be such a hardship for the Division I programs.

And if it is, then shorten the season. Cut the fluff games. 10 regular season games for everyone. It'd be perfect.

Yeah, still don't see it happening. Which doesn't bother me, I'm good with the current system.

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah, still don't see it happening. Which doesn't bother me, I'm good with the current system.How can you be good with the current system? Well, other than the fact that your boys have played in 3 recent NC games. Seriously, don't you think a playoff system would be more exciting? NCAA football is the only organized sport without a playoff system of some kind. The BCS is a joke. Its pathetic that Division fucking III has a playoff and Division I does not.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 07:57 PM
How can you be good with the current system? Well, other than the fact that your boys have played in 3 recent NC games. Seriously, don't you think a playoff system would be more exciting? NCAA football is the only organized sport without a playoff system of some kind. The BCS is a joke. Its pathetic that Division fucking III has a playoff and Division I does not.

IMO the best teams have won the Championship the past 5 years. I think the current system is extremely exciting, moreso than a playoff. Instead of gunning for a top-4, top-8, top-16 or top-whatever finish, you need to gun for a top-2 finish to get a title shot. It's fun watching games you otherwise wouldn't give a shit about to cheer for upsets and teams ranked ahead of you to lose. If it moves to a playoff that shit wont matter near as much. As long as you finish atop your conference, what happens elsewhere wont matter.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-08-2010, 08:05 PM
IMO the best teams have won the Championship the past 5 years. I think the current system is extremely exciting, moreso than a playoff. Instead of gunning for a top-4, top-8, top-16 or top-whatever finish, you need to gun for a top-2 finish to get a title shot. It's fun watching games you otherwise wouldn't give a shit about to cheer for upsets and teams ranked ahead of you to lose. If it moves to a playoff that shit wont matter near as much. As long as you finish atop your conference, what happens elsewhere wont matter.

I don't think it's accurate to say that the best team has won the past five years. The only way to know who the best team is is to have a playoff. It's simple really, IMO. Common sense really.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't think it's accurate to say that the best team has won the past five years. The only way to know who the best team is is to have a playoff. It's simple really, IMO. Common sense really.

The only year where, IMO, it's arguable is 2007 with LSU. Otherwise, there's no doubt in my mind that Texas, Florida ('06 and '08) and Alabama were the best teams.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-08-2010, 08:20 PM
The only year where, IMO, it's arguable is 2007 with LSU. Otherwise, there's no doubt in my mind that Texas, Florida ('06 and '08) and Alabama were the best teams.

Would you rather just have an opinion about that or find out for real on the field? Personally I'd rather find out on the field. All the champions during this BCS tarnished era should have front page headlines that say, "We're number 1!!!...we think." Just me, but I'd want to have a playoff to prove I were number one, not an opinion based on what the computers "thought" should be the game. JMO.

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Would you rather just have an opinion about that or find out for real on the field? Personally I'd rather find out on the field. All the champions during this BCS tarnished era should have front page headlines that say, "We're number 1!!!...we think." Just me, but I'd want to have a playoff to prove I were number one, not an opinion based on what the computers "thought" should be the game. JMO.

Find out for real? I don't think a playoff necessarily results in the best, true champion. Do you think the NCAA Tournament Champ is a true National Champion? IMO, some years it works out and other year's it's whoever gets hot at the right time. It's why the NCAA Bball season is watered down, IMO. If you lose a reg. season game, so what? You can lose your conf. championship and still get a #1 seed.

Even in the NFL a playoff doesn't guarantee a 'true' champion. Were the Giants the best team in the NFL when they won the Super Bowl? Not to me they weren't. The BCS takes into account a team's entire season and, in most years thus far, pits the two best teams against each other for the title.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Find out for real? I don't think a playoff necessarily results in the best, true champion. Do you think the NCAA Tournament Champ is a true National Champion? IMO, some years it works out and other year's it's whoever gets hot at the right time. It's why the NCAA Bball season is watered down, IMO. If you lose a reg. season game, so what? You can lose your conf. championship and still get a #1 seed.

Yes, I think the NCAA Tournament Champ is the real champion. Because that team beat every team in a playoff format that was presented to them by earning their right to play each other by process of elimination by defeat. The best team isn't defined by talent, it's defined by "team." That team played the best in crunch time, when it mattered most, so for that, they are the best. The other team is not. JMO.

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2010, 08:35 PM

Even in the NFL a playoff doesn't guarantee a 'true' champion. Were the Giants the best team in the NFL when they won the Super Bowl? Not to me they weren't. The BCS takes into account a team's entire season and, in most years thus far, pits the two best teams against each other for the title.

What do you mean the Giants weren't true champions? Are you serious? If the Patriots were the best team, they should have beaten them. I would rather the Giants get to the Super Bowl because they beat legit playoff teams than OSU go to the national championship because they beat Michigan to win their division. And this is coming from an OSU fan.

The BCS is retarded. I don't know how anybody can defend it. If we're talking about baseball, where every team gets an equal chance to play every team about the same # of times, then fine. If we're even talking about football, where you have 3 divisions per conference and you have to win your conference, fine. But how can you justify a college football system where certain conferences have zero chance to make the title game, conferences have ENTIRELY different strength of schedules, and most teams in the top 10 have a similar record?

5 out of the last 6 BCS Championship games have resulted in blowouts. The National Championship game isn't even fun to watch anymore.

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2010, 08:36 PM

The best team has won. That's because in most cases, the #1 ranking was indisputable because of an unbeaten season. I would strongly, STRONGLY argue against the idea that the 2nd best team was represented in most cases the past 5 or 6 years.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Oh fuck Boise State in the ass already!

DaKCMan AP
09-08-2010, 08:42 PM
The best team has won. That's because in most cases, the #1 ranking was indisputable because of an unbeaten season. I would strongly, STRONGLY argue against the idea that the 2nd best team was represented in most cases the past 5 or 6 years.

In 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 the #2 ranked team going into the game won. And in 2009 the #1 team won after they were #2 and beat the #1 team in the conf. championship.

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I wish I could fuck Mark Sanchez in the ass already!FYP :D

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2010, 08:53 PM

Even in the NFL a playoff doesn't guarantee a 'true' champion. Were the Giants the best team in the NFL when they won the Super Bowl? Not to me they weren't. The BCS takes into account a team's entire season and, in most years thus far, pits the two best teams against each other for the title.Yes, but at least a playoff is indisputable. Its settled on the field without voters. We've accepted the NC in NCAA Division I football because this is all we know. Again, you've seen Florida win 2 NC recently. Had Florida gotten screwed by the BCS somehow, I bet you would feel differently.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2010, 09:04 PM
FYP :D

Damn your eyes...:cuss::D

Chiefs Pantalones
09-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Cock me, BCD!! Cock me hard!!!

Whoa. What kind of place is this?

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2010, 09:15 PM
In 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 the #2 ranked team going into the game won. And in 2009 the #1 team won after they were #2 and beat the #1 team in the conf. championship.

Sorry, you're right. But in 2 of those games, the representative was OSU.

Again, trust me, I'm an OSU fan. They definitely did not belong in the LSU game. They got there because of a pattycake conference (at the time).

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Whoa. What kind of place is this?ROFL WTF?

veist
09-09-2010, 12:19 AM
If they run the table and get left out of the NC game I won't be crying them a river, their schedule has two non-conference cupcakes. And stop complaining about nobody wanting to go play them, if Boise had something to offer in terms of the return game people wouldn't have a problem scheduling a home-and-home with them. Its all about the money and Boise represents a terrible bet, its high risk and low reward.

Jim Jones
09-09-2010, 03:34 AM

Come on, this is completely ridiculous. As a sports fan, you can't really believe this, can you? The only true way to determine a champion is to let the best teams play it out on the field. I don't want that to be decided by a computer.

I don't agree with this. In 2006, USC and Michigan were both playing excellent football and were as deserving of a shot at the National Title as Florida. IMO, USC was playing the best football of anyone at the end of the year.

In 2007, Oklahoma and USC had great football teams and both deserved a shot at a National Title as much as LSU did.

2008 was one of the worst years, IMO. Florida and Oklahoma played in the title game as a pair of 1-loss teams, but you had a handful of teams all playing excellent football at the end of the year. USC, Penn State and Texas were all 1-loss teams who deserved a shot at the National Title game just as much as Florida and Oklahoma. Plus you had UNDEFEATED Utah who pounded Alabama and would have certainly made some noise in a playoff. That was the one year, above all others, where I was just dying to see a playoff to let those teams duke it out.

The only time the BCS gets it right is when only two teams finish undefeated and it's a no brainer. Other than that, I'd rather see it decided on the field.

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2010, 05:37 AM
I don't agree with this. In 2006, USC and Michigan were both playing excellent football and were as deserving of a shot at the National Title as Florida. IMO, USC was playing the best football of anyone at the end of the year.

In 2007, Oklahoma and USC had great football teams and both deserved a shot at a National Title as much as LSU did.

2008 was one of the worst years, IMO. Florida and Oklahoma played in the title game as a pair of 1-loss teams, but you had a handful of teams all playing excellent football at the end of the year. USC, Penn State and Texas were all 1-loss teams who deserved a shot at the National Title game just as much as Florida and Oklahoma. Plus you had UNDEFEATED Utah who pounded Alabama and would have certainly made some noise in a playoff. That was the one year, above all others, where I was just dying to see a playoff to let those teams duke it out.

Come on man, really?

2006: USC? Playing excellent football? By losing to two unranked teams, including UCLA the last game of the season? Yeah, give them a title shot! And Michigan? The team that didn't win their conference. Didn't they essentially have a playoff by losing to ohio state in their final game? Then they went on and lost to the 2-loss USC in the Rose Bowl. Yet you think USC & Michigan deserved title shots? ROFL

2008: It was either Texas or OU. That comes down to their own conference tiebreak scenarios. If there were super conferences like you all want then Texas wouldn't have made the playoff anyway as OU represented the conference. Penn State obviously didn't deserve a shot, losing to USC in the Rose Bowl. USC is the only team that has a potential argument that year. However, their resume (beating #5, #8, #21, #23) wasn't near as impressive as Florida's (beating #1, #1, #4, #6, #20 and #25).

Jim Jones
09-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Come on man, really?

2006: USC? Playing excellent football? By losing to two unranked teams, including UCLA the last game of the season? Yeah, give them a title shot! And Michigan? The team that didn't win their conference. Didn't they essentially have a playoff by losing to ohio state in their final game? Then they went on and lost to the 2-loss USC in the Rose Bowl. Yet you think USC & Michigan deserved title shots? ROFL

2006 is admittedly a weaker one than the others I listed, but there is still an argument. USC did lose to UCLA, but one loss to an unranked team (Oregon State finished the season in the top 25) hasn't kept teams out of the BCS title game before. In 2007, LSU lost to two unranked teams and still made the title game.

I don't like the "they lost to a weaker team so they don't deserve to play for the title" argument either. New Orleans lost to the lowly 3-13 Tampa Bay Bucs last year, does that mean that some team with a similar record who beat Tampa last year deserved it over them? No, because the Saints fought through the playoffs, beat the best teams, and earned the championship. That's the only way to do it.

2008: It was either Texas or OU. That comes down to their own conference tiebreak scenarios. If there were super conferences like you all want then Texas wouldn't have made the playoff anyway as OU represented the conference.

In 2008 Texas BEAT Oklahoma and yet Oklahoma gets to play for the National Title even though they were both one loss teams? There's really no way to deny that Texas should have had a crack at a National Title that year.

Penn State obviously didn't deserve a shot, losing to USC in the Rose Bowl. USC is the only team that has a potential argument that year. However, their resume (beating #5, #8, #21, #23) wasn't near as impressive as Florida's (beating #1, #1, #4, #6, #20 and #25).

How can you honestly say that about Penn State and then say all the right teams have made it to the BCS Championship games? Just because Penn State lost to USC doesn't mean they didn't deserve a shot. That's like me saying that every team who has lost in the BCS Title game didn't deserve to be there, like Oklahoma in 08, because they lost. Losing to USC doesn't mean that Penn State couldn't have still defeated other teams and advanced to the second or third round of a playoff.

And your comparison with USC and Florida is exactly what's wrong with the system. You have two great football teams who are both deserving of a shot and you're reduced to nitpicking through their schedule and going through how high every opponent was ranked, or how much they beat that opponent by, to determine who is "better". It's completely ridiculous. I can't think of one college football fan (except apparently you?) that wouldn't have wanted to see USC vs. Florida or Texas vs. Florida or Utah vs. any of those teams.

dilligaf
09-10-2010, 11:50 AM

vailpass
09-10-2010, 02:53 PM

dilligaf
09-10-2010, 06:56 PM

Exactly my point.

DaKCMan AP
09-11-2010, 06:42 PM

James Madison 21
VTech 16

That just happened. Fuck Boise State and their weak sauce.

ArrowheadMagic
09-11-2010, 07:41 PM
maybe it should be JMU vs Boise St? Sucks that your only big game is against a team that lost to JMU at home.

dilligaf
09-11-2010, 07:42 PM
maybe it should be JMU vs Boise St? Sucks that your only big game is against a team that lost to JMU at home.

Yeah that does blow. However I do have a a copy of the Fiesta Bowl a few years back if you'd like to borrow it.;)

CaliforniaChief
09-11-2010, 07:49 PM
That JMU vs. Vagina Tech game shoots a ginormous hole in BSU's claims to fame. Heck, they might move down in the poll this week.

ArrowheadMagic
09-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah that does blow. However I do have a a copy of the Fiesta Bowl a few years back if you'd like to borrow it.;)

doesn't mean you belong in this years championship. I don't need to be convinced that Bob Stoops can't get a team motivated to play a bowl game. Great win for you guys 3 years ago. Isn't it time to let it go?

Consistent1
09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
It is hard to know what to make of it now. Look at that Alabama game and tell me those guys aren't nails. Boise is still a great team, but just how great?

baitism
09-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Not a knock on OU, but the team that lost to Boise St. would get smothered by this years Alabama. They are solid all around.

ArrowheadMagic
09-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Not a knock on OU, but the team that lost to Boise St. would get smothered by this years Alabama. They are solid all around.

yes Alabama is good.