PDA

View Full Version : Poop PSA: Proper use of variations of "yes"

DaFace
09-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't know why this has been bugging me lately, but people screw this up all the time. So, just so you know...

yea - An affirmative vote. Pronounced like "hay."
yeah - Informal use of the word "yes." Pronounced like "hat."
yay - Excited form. Pronounced like "hay."

In other words, I was at a meeting last week and voted yea to the matter at hand. They didn't hear me right, so when they asked if I voted yea, I said yeah. I was excited when the measure passed, so I said yay!

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

niblet
09-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Ya whatever.

DaFace
09-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Ya whatever.

ya - Informal version of the word "you". Has nothing to do with the word "yes."

Example: Stop being and idiot, will ya?

:p

Stanley Nickels
09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
While I do agree with you, there's a couple things to take into account.

First, "yeah" is a new term. It isn't but a hundred or so years old. It's already being bastardized due to text and instant messaging, with deviations ranging from "ya" to "yah". If one of these becomes the common spelling, your post will be erroneous.

"Yea" is the only word that's been around for a while; it is, itself, a deviation of "ye", yea indicating a personal affirmation of a question directed at the answerer (much the same way "yeah" is used now-- "did you take the trash out?", "yeah"-- as in, yes I did.)

The funny thing about language is, there are so many sticklers for the nuances-- and, for the most part, I'm with you-- but language is constantly evolving, and whatever the general populace adopts usually becomes the accepted usage and spelling.

Bugeater
09-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Yep.

niblet
09-09-2010, 09:05 PM
ya - Informal version of the word "you". Has nothing to do with the word "yes."

Example: Stop being and idiot, will ya?

:p

Yeah, I will. Touche.

DaFace
09-09-2010, 09:11 PM
While I do agree with you, there's a couple things to take into account.

First, "yeah" is a new term. It isn't but a hundred or so years old. It's already being bastardized due to text and instant messaging, with deviations ranging from "ya" to "yah". If one of these becomes the common spelling, your post will be erroneous.

"Yea" is the only word that's been around for a while; it is, itself, a deviation of "ye", yea indicating a personal affirmation of a question directed at the answerer (much the same way "yeah" is used now-- "did you take the trash out?", "yeah"-- as in, yes I did.)

The funny thing about language is, there are so many sticklers for the nuances-- and, for the most part, I'm with you-- but language is constantly evolving, and whatever the general populace adopts usually becomes the accepted usage and spelling.

No argument there (though I don't necessarily like it). The one that's really been bugging me lately has been "yea" when people try and use it like "yay."

Psyko Tek
09-09-2010, 09:19 PM
whatever

-King-
09-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Yup, gotcha.

chasedude
09-09-2010, 09:21 PM
uh huh

Bugeater
09-09-2010, 09:28 PM
<EMBED src="http://jungledrops.com/drops/Quad%20Yeah.mp3" autostart="false"></embed>

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I will. Touche.

You have no reason to call him a touche.

88TG88
09-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I don't know why this has been bugging me lately, but people screw this up all the time. So, just so you know...

yea - An affirmative vote. Pronounced like "hay."
yeah - Informal use of the word "yes." Pronounced like "hat."
yay - Excited form. Pronounced like "hay."

In other words, I was at a meeting last week and voted yea to the matter at hand. They didn't hear me right, so when they asked if I voted yea, I said yeah. I was excited when the measure passed, so I said yay!

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

mmm hmm

Mr. Flopnuts
09-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Whenever you see me type out "Oh yea!", it's pretty much an intentional spelling error because I mean it to sound like "Oh yeah!". I'm just a retard sometimes.

Sully
09-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Word

keg in kc
09-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Aye.

blaise
09-09-2010, 10:51 PM
yat

aturnis
09-09-2010, 10:51 PM
how do any of those words start with and "h" sound? yeah starts with a "y" sound, and doesn't sound like hat at all.

CaliforniaChief
09-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Yeppers. Yesh./Michael Scott

Buehler445
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Goddamn you bugeater. I opened this thread on my phone and that shit goes off before it is even done loading. I will end you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
09-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Goddamn you bugeater. I opened this thread on my phone and that shit goes off before it is even done loading. I will end you.
Posted via Mobile Device
What the hell? I set the autostart to false.

LaChapelle
09-10-2010, 06:02 AM
3 Ys all mingles together
don't pull 'em apart now

Amnorix
09-10-2010, 06:40 AM
I don't know why this has been bugging me lately, but people screw this up all the time.

Out of curiousity, do you also chum the waters before you go swimming in shark infested areas?

Wear a bulls-eye design on the front of your shirt when you play paintball?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Mr. Laz
09-10-2010, 10:13 AM
, but people screw this up all the time. .:hmmm: (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=6119)

DaFace (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=6119) <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6990268", true); </script> http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Mod cat iz watching joo...

The Franchise
09-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm waiting for BUMP to grace this thread with his presence.

Jilly
09-10-2010, 10:31 AM
People always do the yeah and yay thing, it does make me a little upset, I'll admit.

Otter
09-10-2010, 10:37 AM
ok

MTG#10
09-10-2010, 10:51 AM
yeah starts with a "y" sound, and doesn't sound like hat at all.

That's what I was thinking. yeah = yat? Not where I'm from...

Hydrae
09-10-2010, 01:06 PM
A positive vote is "aye", not "yea." Also, it is pronounced like "I."

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me

**edit**Interesting, yea is correct in the US Congress. I can see how using Yea and Nay could cause confusion due to the similarity of the sounds. Aye and Nay are more easily differentiated.

aye1    /aɪ/ Show Spelled[ahy] Show IPA

–adverb
1. yes.

–noun
2. an affirmative vote or voter, esp. in British Parliament, corresponding to yea in U.S. Congress.