PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: The Chiefs will sink or swim with Jamaal Charles

Tribal Warfare
09-09-2010, 11:30 PM
The Chiefs will sink or swim with Jamaal Charles (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/09/2211435/the-chiefs-will-sink-or-swim-with.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

It’s all different now. Jamaal Charles said he can sit in the locker room and feel how things have changed.

Two years ago, he said, the locker room was lifeless and without leaders. Charles didn’t know his purpose then, and he’s not sure whether anyone else knew theirs, either. Last year, he began the season as a talented, young running back whose future was murky. Larry Johnson was the starter, and Kolby Smith was seen as a better option than Charles.

Things are simpler now.

“I’m just going out there to do my job,” Charles said. “Basically, they tell you a play and you’ve got to execute.

“I’ve got responsibilities now that I didn’t have my rookie year. I love this, I really do.”

Charles is quiet, and despite the occasional strain to convey his thoughts, he’s more thoughtful than he sometimes appears. He talks about God and the way things are meant to happen, even if they don’t immediately make sense. He talks about inspiring others with his play and how he’d rather be a role model than have a big contract. And he talks about how, for the first time in three seasons, the Chiefs have the leadership and talent alongside Charles to at least show improvement.

“Last year,” he said, “everybody probably was leaning on me.”

The Chiefs learned last year how Charles is a microcosm of the team: young and unproven but eager — maybe even desperate — to improve and be taken seriously. How Charles goes this year and beyond, the Chiefs are likely to go. There is reason for optimism, but there’s also a chance that both could struggle amid rising expectations.

Charles said he has been tested. That rookie season, he said, was difficult. No strong voices and no real purpose.

“Every guy was just looking at each other,” he said.

Then last year, Charles was inactive in the regular season’s second week. The Chiefs thought they were better without Charles than with him. He said last season that being inactive was the harshest motivator of his career. He vowed to coach Todd Haley that he wouldn’t go away quietly and that he would make it difficult for coaches to consider benching him again.

In his final eight games, Charles rushed for 968 yards. Coaches kept testing Charles to see how he’d respond, and he kept proving that he was up to the job. Before the season’s final game, Haley issued Charles a challenge: Rush for at least 200 yards. Charles’ previous career high was 154. On that day in Denver, Charles rushed for 259.

Whether it was a goal handed down from his coach or that benching months earlier, Charles kept responding.

“You look and you say, ‘Wow, he really responded to this adversity,’ ” Haley said. “He’s progressing, and I’m looking for more and more.”

The latest test for Charles came when the Chiefs signed Thomas Jones, a veteran who rushed for more than 1,400 yards last season with the New York Jets. Charles said he could’ve recoiled, but why would he do that when Charles could use Jones as a resource? Charles said he leans on Jones often, learning what he can, and not worrying much about playing time.

“The team’s growth is not just me no more,” he said. “It’s not about you; it’s about the team. I’m not worried about being the starter. It’s about this game; San Diego. Go in the game, do what you do, show out and make some big plays.

“I just want to inspire people with the way I play.”

The Chiefs know that, if Charles keeps improving, the team probably will, too. If he backslides, then Kansas City might be something similar to the group that went 4-12 last year. And Haley said he’s not interested in anyone staying the same.

“He’s either going to improve and get better,” the coach said, “or he’s going to get worse.”

That’s something the Chiefs can’t afford. Charles said he’s confident that this year will be better than 2009. He said there was a reason why he was given all those tests, and a reason why he kept passing them.

“I didn’t really know my purpose on the team; why I’m here, my role,” he said. “I’m confident now. I’m real comfortable about my team. We can go out there and win. It’s different. It feels different.

“We need leadership and people who’ve got purpose on this team. And that’s what we’ve got.”

Hammock Parties
09-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Do it, son.

http://i53.tinypic.com/14loy01.gif

DaneMcCloud
09-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Wow, thanks for the insight, Kent!

Jamaal Charles? Really?

Huh. I didn't think he'd be all that important.

:rolleyes:

KCrockaholic
09-09-2010, 11:52 PM
He's the best player on the team. If we play him enough, the Chiefs have a shot at swimming.

Chief3188
09-10-2010, 03:49 AM
In breaking news water is wet......

kstater
09-10-2010, 04:00 AM
Babb: Colts door to SB hinged on Peyton Manning.

KC Jones
09-10-2010, 05:05 AM
He's the best player on the team. If we play him enough, the Chiefs have a shot at swimming.

... and if we play him too much we have a chance of using him up this year.

LaChapelle
09-10-2010, 05:52 AM
There is good info here
if one chooses to hear

dannybcaitlyn
09-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Haley should be giving the same treatment to Cassel as he does charles!

suds79
09-10-2010, 06:56 AM
... and if we play him too much we have a chance of using him up this year.

That won't happen. The NFL isn't like how it used to be when we ran the cr@p out of LJ. It's a different league now. Teams run two back systems.

So Jamaal will be fine.

Now I just hope the coaching staff finds the right balance. Despite having two backs they can go two, if they don't give Jamaal at least 60-70% of the touches from the RB spot, I'm certain this offense will underachieve.

Guess we'll find out.

OnTheWarpath15
09-10-2010, 07:01 AM
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/chewy0051/dumb-and-dumber-man-walks-on-moon.png

Jethopper
09-10-2010, 07:04 AM
That won't happen. The NFL isn't like how it used to be when we ran the cr@p out of LJ. It's a different league now. Teams run two back systems.

So Jamaal will be fine.

Now I just hope the coaching staff finds the right balance. Despite having two backs they can go two, if they don't give Jamaal at least 60-70% of the touches from the RB spot, I'm certain this offense will underachieve.

Guess we'll find out.

Circa 1991!

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-10-2010, 07:35 AM
The ONLY concern I have with this offense is Cassel. He graduated the Damon Huard school of pocket awareness. If he can keep from turning the ball over we will have a good chance in every game this year. I can't wait to see McCluster break out also. I'm actually pretty pumped.

the Talking Can
09-10-2010, 07:37 AM
imagine if we'd sink or swim with our $63 million dollar after thought of a QB....

milkman
09-10-2010, 08:08 AM
imagine if we'd sink or swim with our $63 million dollar after thought of a QB....

Uh....yeah.

The reality is this is a QB driven league.

Having a great RB is a nice luxury, but you win championships at QB.

I know that is what you are implying.
Just thought I'd elaborate a bit.

the Talking Can
09-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Uh....yeah.

thanks

he's being paid to carry the team, and the media has basically decided to pretend he doesn't exist

Nero's Neptune
09-10-2010, 08:35 AM
I can't wait for Teicher's next column... headline: "Chiefs practiced today it was hot outside, then they went inside and took showers"

CaliforniaChief
09-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah, it's obvious.

But there is a piece of insight in the article that is worth noting: the decision to bench Charles in week 2 was a turning point for him and his attitude. Not saying Haley did it for that purpose, but it seems to have turned on the light switch for JC.

talastan
09-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Yeah, it's obvious.

But there is a piece of insight in the article that is worth noting: the decision to bench Charles in week 2 was a turning point for him and his attitude. Not saying Haley did it for that purpose, but it seems to have turned on the light switch for JC.

D@mn Haley and his stupid mind games!! :cuss:/sarcasm

OnTheWarpath15
09-10-2010, 09:09 AM
thanks

he's being paid to carry the team, and the media has basically decided to pretend he doesn't exist

He's improving. /Haley/Pioli/anyone without eyes

Los Pollos Hermanos
09-10-2010, 09:49 AM
On Twitter, Babb is always talking about sitting by the "Mouth Breather" at Chiefs press conferences. Who is he talking about?

DaneMcCloud
09-10-2010, 09:59 AM
On Twitter, Babb is always talking about sitting by the "Mouth Breather" at Chiefs press conferences. Who is he talking about?

Considering the quality of his writing, I assumed he was talking about himself

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2010, 10:04 AM
thanks

It's fucking ridiculous the "hands-off/CIA"-treatment the motherfucker gets.

Steve Bono?

Los Pollos Hermanos
09-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Steve Bono?

Why would Bono be at Chiefs press conferences?

I was thinking it was Gretz but I don't know.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Why would Bono be at Chiefs press conferences?

I was thinking it was Gretz but I don't know.

Eh, my buddy used to call him "the mouthbreather".

Deberg_1990
09-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Uh....yeah.

Oh come on.....Every Chiefs fan knows its a Tight End and Left Guard driven league.

bobbything
09-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Oh come on.....Every Chiefs fan knows its a Tight End and Left Guard driven league.
But, but, but...if we put enough great players around him, he'll get better!!!!

Again, it begs the question that I've been asking since last year...is it easier to put 10 great players around one mediocre player, or vice versa? We all know what the Chiefs think. The Blackledge Experiment has scared this team away from drafting a QB for 25 years.

ElGringo
09-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Now I do believe he has gotten better. When he got here, he was complete crap. Now that we have Charlie "The Legend" Weis he has reached his full potential, total crap (a small step up in my book anyway).

LaChapelle
09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
He chose not to go for the game record against Denver
he does not seem to be a glory hound

HemiEd
09-10-2010, 12:22 PM

Don't forget FB dammit. This team has two, so it is all good.

RDGashMattik
09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
First, the biggest thing i would like to note is, he said HIS team. He is the type of silent leader that we have been lacking for a while now.

Second ask Elway who he thanks for getting his two rings, having an elite running back is not a luxury. Run to win, pass to catch up.

Third, this whole entire board is garbage. You are starved for chiefs news, then when you get any article, you complain about the writing, when none of you could do ANY better. Everyone on this crap for a board is so negative about this team whats the point of even being a fan. Maybe some of you should consider a different team, I think the Jet bandwagon still has room if you hurry.

milkman
09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
First, the biggest thing i would like to note is, he said HIS team. He is the type of silent leader that we have been lacking for a while now.

Second ask Elway who he thanks for getting his two rings, having an elite running back is not a luxury. Run to win, pass to catch up.

Third, this whole entire board is garbage. You are starved for chiefs news, then when you get any article, you complain about the writing, when none of you could do ANY better. Everyone on this crap for a board is so negative about this team whats the point of even being a fan. Maybe some of you should consider a different team, I think the Jet bandwagon still has room if you hurry.

Being a fan doesn't mean that you have to like it when a team blows smoke up your skirt.

I get it.
It tickles your vagina, so it's all good for you.

RDGashMattik
09-10-2010, 12:33 PM
I really don't see how the team has blown any smoke anywhere. This is a sports writer for one, and secondly this regime has been pretty straight foreward. Hell Haley admitted SD has more talent than us, can you tell me if that is smoke?

Fritz88
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Haley should be giving the same treatment to Cassel as he does charles!

He can't
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I really don't see how the team has blown any smoke anywhere. This is a sports writer for one, and secondly this regime has been pretty straight foreward. Hell Haley admitted SD has more talent than us, can you tell me if that is smoke?

Matt Cassel.

kcxiv
09-10-2010, 12:38 PM

Thats just the grumpy bitches on the site. We all know who they are, you just kinda ignore them and move on.

Fritz88
09-10-2010, 12:40 PM

GoChiefs' last article on wpi is probably better than all what the star had offered all summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
09-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Run to win, pass to catch up.

Too bad its not 1985 anymore...

DaneMcCloud
09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Thats just the grumpy bitches on the site. We all know who they are, you just kinda ignore them and move on.

10-38

DeezNutz
09-10-2010, 02:22 PM
10-38

Cassel's line or your prediction for Monday? ;)