PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs back in national spotlight — for at least one night

Tribal Warfare
09-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Chiefs back in national spotlight — for at least one night (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/12/2218222/chiefs-back-in-national-spotlight.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

If in, say, 10 years the Chiefs have returned to NFL glory, they’ll look back on tonight’s game as the start of their latest franchise renaissance.

That’s the plan, at least.

“It’s one of the biggest showcases we have for this team to get back to the ’90s, the middle 2000s, to the Chiefs traditions that we’re used to,” said guard Brian Waters, who joined the Chiefs in 2000. “I’m not just talking about the play on the field. I’m talking about the environment.

“It’s been a long time since we’ve been on the national stage.”

“Monday Night Football” returns to Kansas City for the first time since 2004 tonight when the Chiefs officially open a renovated Arrowhead Stadium against the Chargers.

The Chiefs asked the NFL to have this game played during prime time and the league complied, though kickoff is at the awkward time of 9:15 p.m. The Chiefs wanted to show off not only their refurbished stadium but also a team they believe is ready to be competitive again after three of the darkest seasons in franchise history.

It can easily become a defining moment for the Chiefs — and even their community. With a strong showing and a victory over the four-time defending AFC West champion San Diego Chargers, the Chiefs can serve notice they’re indeed ready to be contenders.

The Chiefs also have much to lose. With a loss, the Chiefs would be already in an all-too-familiar position of looking up at the Chargers in the standings. Fans will be jumping off the bandwagon in great numbers.

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt was careful not to place too much public emphasis on one game, but he’s aware of what’s at stake.

“Success on the field, whether it comes week one or week two or week three, can be a big boost to the organization,” Hunt said. “Whether we get the result on Monday night or not at the end of the day is not what’s important, it’s how we fare over the 16 games during the regular season.”

A lot of elements contribute to the rebirth of the Chiefs: last year’s hiring of general manager Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley, this year’s addition of Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel to the coaching staff, a rookie class the Chiefs believe could be as good as any in the league and the renovated stadium.

All of those elements come together in tonight’s game.

“I think it might be sooner than 10 years that you look back on this game … as the start of something special,” said former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer, who will be ESPN’s analyst for tonight’s telecast. “I like the way this team is being rebuilt and the pieces they have in place. I think they’re a little ways away, but I don’t think they’re light years away.”

Dilfer was drafted by Tampa Bay in the 1990s when the Buccaneers were going through a drought similar to the one experienced by the Chiefs in recent seasons. Tampa Bay hired Tony Dungy as their coach in 1996 and changed uniforms and moved into a new stadium in 1998.

Soon the Bucs were a playoff team, and eventually won a Super Bowl.

“All of that gave us a new look, a new outlook, a new identity,” Dilfer said. “The sense among the players was, ‘the old is gone, the new is in.’ That kind of launched the success we had.”

It also helped that the Bucs had better players. The Chiefs, after years of selecting near the top of the draft, believe they have enough skilled players to allow them to again be competitive with most NFL teams.

The NFL agreed, and it’s why the league granted the Chiefs a prime-time spot for their opening game. At first, it was about the stadium. The league lately has shown off many of its new venues in prime-time games.

But now it’s about more than that.

“It ties to everything we have going this year,” Hunt said. “Most important is the opening of the new Arrowhead, but it’s turned out to be a lot bigger in many ways.”

The Chiefs were routed twice by the Chargers last year, losing the games by a total of 59 points. It adds some spice to tonight’s game that the opponent is the team that’s won five straight games against the Chiefs and has been the beast of the division for several years.

“We’re chasing what they have,” Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel said. “So this will be a good test for us early on.”

If the Chiefs fail that test, the league might not be so quick to give them another national showcase. Closer to home, a defeat means looming local TV blackouts for other home games and playing in a half-filled Arrowhead, as they did much of last year.

“Hopefully, Kansas City will buy back in,” Waters said. “It also showcases us to the America that forgot about us. Do a survey around the country, and we’re kind of put in the category of bottom-feeder type of team right now.

“If we can go out and do a great job, it will kind of continue the momentum we have going and really it will jump start even more momentum.”

Few places are more tied into their pro football team than Kansas City. Arrowhead Stadium was the NFL’s most feared venue among opposing teams for much of the previous two decades until the place fell largely silent in recent years as the fortunes of the home team sunk to historic lows.

The city desperately wants to return to those glory days. Arrowhead will be raucous tonight, and how the Chiefs fare could determine whether it’s that way the rest of the season, too.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
(http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/12/2218222/chiefs-back-in-national-spotlight.html)

All of those elements come together in tonight’s game.

“I think it might be sooner than 10 years that you look back on this game … as the start of something special,” said former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer, who will be ESPN’s analyst for tonight’s telecast. “I like the way this team is being rebuilt and the pieces they have in place. I think they’re a little ways away, but I don’t think they’re light years away.”

This.

Bitchhh....:evil:

Priest31kc
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, this game is pretty damn huge.

suds79
09-12-2010, 10:02 PM
It's been too long since the Chiefs have been on Monday night but is it really a national spotlight?

The 1st quarter maybe. After that unless you're a Chiefs or Chargers fan I'm guessing the average fan will call it a night.

Shame they're the 2nd game in the double header.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah, this game is pretty damn huge.

This game is on like fucking Donkey Kong, and I'm down in the front-row of the End Zone:

Winner = ROR.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2010, 10:06 PM
It's been too long since the Chiefs have been on Monday night but is it really a national spotlight?

The 1st quarter maybe. After that unless you're a Chiefs or Chargers fan I'm guessing the average fan will call it a night.

Shut your dirty, whore mouth.

Priest31kc
09-12-2010, 10:06 PM
This game is on like fucking Donkey Kong, and I'm down in the front-row of the End Zone:

Winner = ROR.

Yeah, well Im in the upper level in the corner of the end zone!!!!

Winner = ROR. :(

Frankie
09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
We will win. We have Anthony Toribio!

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah, well Im in the upper level in the corner of the end zone!!!!

Winner = ROR. :(

You shall bask in teh Glory of my #24, "BMF"-jersey, AWWWLLLL NIGHT LONG, ****A'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Priest31kc
09-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Anyone see this? 8:35 sounds like epicness possibly.

What's it all about?

Patience is a tough trait to conquer. The emails, tweets and calls have been flowing ever since the Chiefs unleashed the 8:35 PM mystery. Everyone wants to know what this “surprise” is all about.

What do the Chiefs have in store for 8:35 PM before Monday Night Football?

Is it Billy Ray Cyrus? No, he’ll be singing the National Anthem.

Is it Train? No, they’ll be performing at halftime.

What? Gameday entertainment is typically consists of a musical act, so what is it?

This is about a phenomenal experience, one that fans who have attended all 386 games in Arrowhead history have never seen before. This is a tribute to Arrowhead, both old and new. It’s ushering in a new era of Chiefs football, the first game at The New Arrowhead and the next 50 years in franchise history.

Simply put, the Chiefs will be putting on a display that blows your mind. It’s an experience that you won’t want to miss.

The Chiefs are being tight-lipped on the details, and with good reason. I’m one of the few people, inside or outside of Arrowhead, who has sat down and seen everything that is planned for the evening. I left in absolute awe. The closest thing that I can relate 8:35 to is being a kid on Christmas morning.

Do you remember when you woke up and raced downstairs to shake that box; that box that you thought you knew for certain what was inside? But when you opened it, you found something completely different. It was something that you had no idea was coming your way and absolutely knocked you off your feet?

That’s the best way that I can describe 8:35 PM.

What you know about “the experience” is just a percent of what to expect. There will be a nighttime fly-over unlike any that Arrowhead has ever seen and there will be fireworks…lots of them. But that’s where the leaks end. You’ll get the works when you sit in that seat: goose bumps, chills, memories and more.

Arrive at Arrowhead early, put on the best tailgate in the NFL and give yourself time to arrive inside the stadium by 8:35 PM. You won’t regret it.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/835-PM/d686b170-3dc9-467d-823d-80bcdc2d34ce

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Oh! Do I get to be there?!

Yes, yes I do.:D

O.city
09-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Man I live like 10 minutes from Arrowhead and wanna be there SO BAD...but I have a damn dental school exam at 9 in the morning Tuesday.....

chief52
09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Man I live like 10 minutes from Arrowhead and wanna be there SO BAD...but I have a damn dental school exam at 9 in the morning Tuesday.....

That sucks. Gotta do what you gotta do! You will be able to make the next home gome.

KcMizzou
09-12-2010, 10:25 PM

Yes, yes I do.:DBring the noise.

I'm hoping this game will be something like the Buffalo MNF game back in the day. That was when everyone knew things were changing for the better.

Priest31kc
09-12-2010, 10:26 PM

Yes, yes I do.:D

Me too!!!PBJPBJPBJ:rockon::rockon::rockon::bong::thumb::thumb::D:D:D:):):)

CaliforniaChief
09-12-2010, 10:28 PM

Find a new career, n00b. It just wasn't meant to be. Be at Arrowhead. $30, standing room.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Bring the noise.

I'm hoping this game will be something like the Buffalo MNF game back in the day. That was when everyone knew things were changing for the better.

Me too!!!PBJPBJPBJ:rockon::rockon::rockon::bong::thumb::thumb::D:D:D:):):)

No QB got their head taken off and their ass handed to them today in a violent, hard core way...

Phillip Rivers?

Welcome to KC, you slack-jawed faggot.

Sorry Buck!:D

yhf
09-12-2010, 10:32 PM

It will be 7:15 kickoff on the left coast. I would assume that, provided the game is entertaining, everyone west of us won't mind sticking it out til the end.

CaliforniaChief
09-12-2010, 10:34 PM
May Phyllis Rivers resurrect the blessed ghosts of broken Chargers QB's past:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UMe0Rz1frdE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UMe0Rz1frdE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2010, 10:38 PM

Anyone can be a dentist. Just ask MoHillbilly.

Go the game!

Sully
09-12-2010, 10:40 PM

I'd bet the game is over by then.

Ugly Duck
09-12-2010, 10:44 PM
We will win.

I can hear KnowMo now... "Yeah, but it was only an ugly win. Not nearly as positive as Denver's loss!"

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2010, 10:48 PM
I can hear KnowMo now... "Yeah, but it was only an ugly win. Not nearly as positive as Denver's loss!"

Listen you dirty fucking whore; when I want you to speak, I'll damned-well ASK for it.:harumph::fire:

CaliforniaChief
09-12-2010, 10:49 PM

ROFL

DBOSHO
09-12-2010, 10:55 PM

I have to get up at 4am tues to work at 5. I'm not missing mnf.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2010, 10:59 PM
"Cotton Candy Ass":

That's KnowMo's new name.

keg in kc
09-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Oh shit, Herm just called for the upset.

We're fucked.

CaliforniaChief
09-12-2010, 11:00 PM

We're fucked.

I just saw that. And he did the chop. *GULP*

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2010, 11:01 PM

We're fucked.

Well, as I've always espoused:

Piss on Herm.

Piss on his head.

BryanBusby
09-12-2010, 11:04 PM

We're ****ed.

**** you forever, Herm

CoMoChief
09-12-2010, 11:30 PM
That sucks. Gotta do what you gotta do! You will be able to make the next home gome.

FUCK THAT SHIT PPD THE DAMN TEST!!!!!!