PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs My humble first game thoughts

Sully
09-14-2010, 01:54 PM
First, the pregame.
It was great. The video was great, and if there is a video of it, I'd love to see it. I recorded the whole thing, and hope to post the 10 minute video of the entire pregame online in the next couple of days, but I could only hear about 1/3 of what Riggle was saying, because it was so loud. Even at that, though, you could simply feel the power in the presentation. The lasers, the fireworks...the force of it all. It was a fantastic experience. Funny thing is, it HAD to take place after dark. So that 9:15 start time was essential to that experience.

To the game.
Offense:
Cassel is not good enough. It's been discussed ad nauseum on this board for a year and a half, so I won't go any further than to say that.
But the offensive line did a great job. Cassel had plenty of time to throw on most of his passes (or non-passes). but once it became clear that there was no threat through the air, San Diego focused on the run.
Brandon Albert was nails. I didnt watch him every play. But the 2/3rds of the time I watched him, he was kicking ass.
It was nice to see Moeaki play so well, too. To be honest, that's probably the most we'll ever see from the TE in a Haley/Weis coached offense. But he looked good.
McCluster, though he didn't put up offensive numbers, will be a weapon. If someone can get him the ball on time, and let him use his shiftiness, he's gonna break several of those quick passes into long gainers, especially on dry turf. Problem is, even on a quick hitter like that, Cassel seems to get him the ball a hair too late, and in the NFL, that hair is what is keeping him from having some fun on those plays.

Defense:
Wow.
It was FAR from perfect. And I believe if it was a dry field, we lose that game. There were plenty of drops, the big fumble (let's not forget it happened at the end of a big run), and poorly thrown balls. I think Norv absolutely choked away this game, getting the plays in slow, and not taking advantage of the huge holes in the middle of our zones.
That said, good teams take advantage of poor plays, and we did that. We should've taken more advantage. But you have to win those sloppy games.
Dorsey had, IMO, his best game as a Chief. He was tough on that right side.
Jackson has been playing very well all preseason, so last night's game didn't surprise me. I gave him an average grade after the first preseason game, and got ripped for it. So I paid extra attention to him through the rest of the games...not to prove anyone wrong (I'm not Hootie), but to see if I was crazy and the ripping was deserved. It wasn't. He had very good games against Tampa and Philly, and an average game against GB. There are still one or two plays every game where he gets his ass kicked. I don't know if he's taking those plays off, or what. But otherwise, he's directing his OL to the pile, getting double-teamed (yes...really), or gaming the OL to open holes for blitzers. He's not a "plan the game around him" type of player, but it was clear when he went out, the defense was markedly worse. But he's very solid, and if Dorsey continues to play as he did last night, we now have two bookends. Add to that...Gilberry as an every down player is a myth. He was awful in the GB game, and though he didnt embarrass himself in few snaps last night, just doesn't have the lead in his ass to play DE in a 3-4...especially at the LDE.
Smith did well last night in Jackson's absence, last night. Not great. But he wasn't a non-player. He's a good backup player to have, but if he's my starter, I'm worried. (and after Jackson was already out, and DOrsey started having trouble getting up, I started thinking implosion. A line of Gilberry on the wrong side, Edwards, and Smith is an invitation to run for 13 a pop.)
DJ was a beast. Not only was he a pretty solid tackler, but he played the most physical game I've ever seen him play, last night. Two games is an awful small sample size, but the past two games he's played have been pro bowl type games. At some point, if this continues, we have to give credit to Haley for doing the right thing with DJ last season. If BRC's stories are true, it sounds like we could even have a shot at retaining him after this season. But I'm just speculating on that.
Flowers was great, and when he went out, I thought the season was over. That's how good he was last night.

Hall had against the Broncos, when McCluster caught that punt inside the 10, I was dog-cussing him. It's always fun when a play so quickly turns from dog-cussing to jubilation.

The highlight for me from last night's game...

The Coaching.

I noticed a few things last night, and they all go to coaching.
#1) Adjustments. This was a game of constant adjustments on both sides of the ball. Some worked/ some didn't. But the fact of the matter is that both coordinators were changing things up as the game went along, something we haven't seen in a long time (if ever, really. Vermeil teams didn't adjust that much in-game, IIRC). It was obvious, especially after that final 3rd/4th down sequence of TOs and gamesmanship, that we have a special coaching staff.
#2) Communication. I haven't seen Chiefs players talk this much on the field since the vaunted mid-90s. Constant communication and adjustments to what they are seeing was going on, and in many cases, looked like it worked. We all poke fun at last year being the year to build the way the Haley version of the Chiefs was going to be, but I believe that foundation is in place, and the interactionamong the players was evident in a way I hadn't seen in a long time.
#3) Sideline discussions. So many times the last few years, as the O or D came trudging off the field, it seemed they would listen to what the coaches had to say, but I didn't see much real engagement (people who sit closer are free to correct me on that, if I'm wrong). Last night, though, it seemed the players were really into the adjustments. Really paying attention, and really wanting the next series to be better.

Anyhow...there it is.

Rip away.

DaKCMan AP
09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Less humble, more Awesome.

Sully
09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Less humble, more Awesome.

Gotta pace myself.
Don't want to go into awesome deficiency. I have a slow awesome metabolism.

the Talking Can
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
i like everyones writes ups

dig it

Bane
09-14-2010, 02:09 PM
KC-W
SD-L
Dung-L
Oak-L

WIN BABY!!!!

Jilly
09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Surprised you didn't mention some of the play calling, in general.

Sully
09-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Surprised you didn't mention some of the play calling, in general.

I think the play calling is great. I've thought that all preseason, as well.
Weis knows what he has in Cassel, so he's going to put him in position to succeed (or at least, to not fail). Add to that Weis' penchant for the short pass, anyway, and we aren't going to see much downfield stuff, except tot ake advantage of a mismatch or sleeping CB, or to keep the defense honest. I put absolutely none of the blame for last night's offensive ineptitude on Weis. Cassal+Bad Weather= Paul Hackett Offense. And there is nothing Weis can do about it but continue to ride his RBs, throw dink and dunk passes, and pray for no turnovers.
It would be stupid for any OC in the league to try and do differently with what Weis is working with.

Jilly
09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
I think the play calling is great. I've thought that all preseason, as well.
Weis knows what he has in Cassel, so he's going to put him in position to succeed (or at least, to not fail). Add to that Weis' penchant for the short pass, anyway, and we aren't going to see much downfield stuff, except tot ake advantage of a mismatch or sleeping CB, or to keep the defense honest. I put absolutely none of the blame for last night's offensive ineptitude on Weis. Cassal+Bad Weather= Paul Hackett Offense. And there is nothing Weis can do about it but continue to ride his RBs, throw dink and dunk passes, and pray for no turnovers.
It would be stupid for any OC in the league to try and do differently with what Weis is working with.

Just wondering, cuz I felt like they had no confidence in Cassel at times. Granted it HAD to rely more on the run, given the weather, but a few times it seemed lack of confidence in Cassel was to the detriment of the game.

Sully
09-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Just wondering, cuz I felt like they had no confidence in Cassel at times. Granted it HAD to rely more on the run, given the weather, but a few times it seemed lack of confidence in Cassel was to the detriment of the game.

I'm sure a HUGE part of it is lack of confidence in Cassel, or, better put, complete confidence in knowing exactly what he is incapable of.

He can't throw anything beyond 10 yards. He can't have more than two reads, or he freezes. If an option isn't WIDE open, he will hesitate (leading either to a sack, or to locking on a reciever giving the D time to recover). And while he tries to improvise, he doesn't have the instincts to do it with successful results.

Jilly
09-14-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm sure a HUGE part of it is lack of confidence in Cassel, or, better put, complete confidence in knowing exactly what he is incapable of.

He can't throw anything beyond 10 yards. He can't have more than two reads, or he freezes. If an option isn't WIDE open, he will hesitate (leading either to a sack, or to locking on a reciever giving the D time to recover). And while he tries to improvise, he doesn't have the instincts to do it with successful results.

eh, I thought he showed more potential last night in his improvisational skills. Definitely that run for the down showed cajones. Not that that has to do anything with his passing skills. I just saw him move into the pocket more than normal and at times even felt like he wasn't all that panicked about it.

Hilarious that Dilfer was talking about how great Cassel was and then in the same sentence was slobbering all over himself about Rivers being the toughest QB in the league.

keg in kc
09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I can't help but wonder how much of Weis' perceived lack of faith in Cassel early in the game stems from the fact that he was hit on four of his first five pass attempts. He was hit three times the first series, and then was sacked when Philips blew by Richardson to end the second series. The third series was when they began to run the ball (9 yards by Jones, 4 yards by Charles and then the 56-yarder).

Sully
09-14-2010, 02:56 PM
That run showed brass ones, but I'm not sure it wasn't a called run, or at best, a one option pass and then run. I just don't think it was improvised.
But when he's being rushed, and tries to move around, more often than not, he moves right into a defensive player. But when you look at Rivers, and several of those plays in the last sequence, he had the frame of mind to move to a completely clean part of th pocket, and even looked like he could attempt to run it in a couple of times. Cassel has never shown that type of ability. It's just an instinct, and it's one he doesn't seem to have.

Jilly
09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
That run showed brass ones, but I'm not sure it wasn't a called run, or at best, a one option pass and then run. I just don't think it was improvised.
But when he's being rushed, and tries to move around, more often than not, he moves right into a defensive player. But when you look at Rivers, and several of those plays in the last sequence, he had the frame of mind to move to a completely clean part of th pocket, and even looked like he could attempt to run it in a couple of times. Cassel has never shown that type of ability. It's just an instinct, and it's one he doesn't seem to have.

what's your signature from?

CoMoChief
09-14-2010, 03:02 PM
There are a few things that made me angry from last night's game.

Thomas Jones is a good RB. A great backup guy as well a guy that can be plugged into the game during shot yard situations.

BUT

Give the fuckin ball toe Charles more, my god. The time he broke that 60 yard run for a TD he had what....1 single carry??? That's it?!?! He touched the ball one time?!?! I don't understand Haley's thought process on that. Don't exactly know what more Charles has to do to get more touches on the field. It makes no sense to leave him on the sidelines that much when he's pretty much the only sure thing we have on offense.

We have a QB that is just fucking pathetic. So what can maybe hide that a little bit(if anything)? How about a running back that can break open a long TD run on virtually any given chance? The more he's in, the more defenses will have to respect us. Teams already are going to load up the box on us because defenses will look across the trench and see Cassel behind center and they will start laughing at us.

I don't mind the switchups between kickoff/punt returners. Both IMO are very good at it and can rip one open anytime. Our ST play is going to be A LOT better than last years. It's probably gonna have to be a strength for this team if we wanna be competitive this season. Our offense isn't a strong one, if we can start w/ good field position or maybe even break one open, it could really help our offense.

FAX
09-14-2010, 03:05 PM
It's a long season, Mr. CoMoChief. They want to keep Charles fresh for the playoff run.

Besides, it's not a bad strategy ... run Jones for awhile, soften up the defense, get them used to his speed, then put in the roadrunner and hit the gas.

Makes sense, in a way.

FAX

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Great take. Rep.

Sully
09-14-2010, 04:38 PM
There are a few things that made me angry from last night's game.

Thomas Jones is a good RB. A great backup guy as well a guy that can be plugged into the game during shot yard situations.

BUT

Give the fuckin ball toe Charles more, my god. The time he broke that 60 yard run for a TD he had what....1 single carry??? That's it?!?! He touched the ball one time?!?! I don't understand Haley's thought process on that. Don't exactly know what more Charles has to do to get more touches on the field. It makes no sense to leave him on the sidelines that much when he's pretty much the only sure thing we have on offense.

We have a QB that is just fucking pathetic. So what can maybe hide that a little bit(if anything)? How about a running back that can break open a long TD run on virtually any given chance? The more he's in, the more defenses will have to respect us. Teams already are going to load up the box on us because defenses will look across the trench and see Cassel behind center and they will start laughing at us.

I don't mind the switchups between kickoff/punt returners. Both IMO are very good at it and can rip one open anytime. Our ST play is going to be A LOT better than last years. It's probably gonna have to be a strength for this team if we wanna be competitive this season. Our offense isn't a strong one, if we can start w/ good field position or maybe even break one open, it could really help our offense.

I hate being the negative guy about Charles, but even after last season, I'm not sold on him as a full time back, for three reasons...
1) his left shoulder is made of Velcro.
2) he has shown a fumbling problem.
3) every once in a while, he does something boneheaded. Last night's uncontested run out of bounds short of the marker on fourth down is one example.

I honestly think if he got 2x the carries, he'd only get 10-15% more yardage. So playing Jones more, in that theory, makes sense.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I hate being the negative guy about Charles, but even after last season, I'm not sold on him as a full time back, for three reasons...
1) his left shoulder is made of Velcro.
2) he has shown a fumbling problem.
3) every once in a while, he does something boneheaded. Last night's uncontested run out of bounds short of the marker on fourth down is one example.

I honestly think if he got 2x the carries, he'd only get 10-15% more yardage. So playing Jones more, in that theory, makes sense.

Im with you on this 100% and ill trust Haley and Weis on this over anybody on this board.

They are doing the right thing.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Im with you on this 100% and ill trust Haley and Weis on this over anybody on this board.

They are doing the right thing.

There's a time and place to run Charles, and I think they're getting it right.

AndChiefs
09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
There's a time and place to run Charles, and I think they're getting it right.

Personally I think he runs better when lined up behind the QB at center...I'm not saying all his runs should be from there but most of the time they tried doing draws with him which I'm not a huge fan of. It allows the defense to already be moving.

JD10367
09-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Your fans are dedicated. An impressive sea of noisy red.

The O-line wasn't blocking well, it was rainy, and the receivers weren't holding onto balls. /CasselApologist

Guys on your defense who last year people complained about are now guys who looked like All-Pros last night. Conclusion: Romeo Crennel fucking rocks.

The Chiefs should roll Cleveland next week (they suck balls, and I think Delhomme had an even lower passer rating against Tampa than Cassel did last night). Seattle goes to Denver, St. Louis to Oakland, and Jacksonville to SD, so the Chiefs have to take care of business or else the whole division might be 1-1. But it's nice to see those suckbags all at 0-1 right now; along with Indy being the only winless team in the AFCS, and the Jets losing, it made my weekend. ROFL

cdcox
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I really enjoyed this take, especially your comments on the D-line play and coaching.

KC Jones
09-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I can't help but wonder how much of Weis' perceived lack of faith in Cassel early in the game stems from the fact that he was hit on four of his first five pass attempts. He was hit three times the first series, and then was sacked when Philips blew by Richardson to end the second series. The third series was when they began to run the ball (9 yards by Jones, 4 yards by Charles and then the 56-yarder).

This is exactly what I was thinking about when reading Sully's comments about the line providing good pass protection. I think later in the game Cassel had some time to throw, but early on he had 1-2 seconds before he was getting hit.

JD10367
09-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Interesting comment by one of the talking heads on ESPN, about how Crennel coaches a D in a similar style as Belichick, using the last play as example when they blanketed Gates (the idea being, don't let their best player beat you, make them beat you with the third or fourth option). Seems simple enough, but it's just an example of how more competent coaching can cure a lot of ills.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Interesting comment by one of the talking heads on ESPN, about how Crennel coaches a D in a similar style as Belichick, using the last play as example when they blanketed Gates (the idea being, don't let their best player beat you, make them beat you with the third or fourth option). Seems simple enough, but it's just an example of how more competent coaching can cure a lot of ills.

Yep....and you will often see no name guys have big nights like Naanee last night.

Sully
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
This is exactly what I was thinking about when reading Sully's comments about the line providing good pass protection. I think later in the game Cassel had some time to throw, but early on he had 1-2 seconds before he was getting hit.

I agree that he's not standing back there like 70s Stabler or Daniel when he was at Mizzou. But I think, for the most part, he's had plenty of time for at least three reads.

Sully
09-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Yep....and you will often see no name guys have big nights like Naanee last night.

Off subject, but I can't listen to that guy's name without thinking of Martin Short summoning the Invisible Swordsman...

"trip, trip, trip, trip, trip... NANEE!!!

JD10367
09-14-2010, 06:06 PM

The Pats certainly had some name players in their SB seasons... but they also made a lot of chicken salad with chickenshit, especially in the defensive backfield. There are many good things about Belichick, but one of the better ones is the fact that, as they like to say, he "puts players in position to make plays". In other words, coaching to their strengths, putting them into positions to succeed, not putting square pegs into round holes, etc.,. It's how he takes guys like Mike Vrabel and Wes Welker and suddenly they look Canton-bound. If Romeo can do the same thing for the Chiefs, some of these defensive players who've been underperforming might suddenly live up to potential. There are many philosophies to winning, but one of the simpler is, you have to run the ball, and stop the run... if those keep happening, the 11-5 prediction I made for KC won't seem as stupid as it did a month ago.

Dayze
09-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Off subject, but I can't listen to that guy's name without thinking of Martin Short summoning the Invisible Swordsman...

"trip, trip, trip, trip, trip... NANEE!!!

farley farley farley, ahh farrrrrrr.r...

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-14-2010, 07:50 PM
The Pats certainly had some name players in their SB seasons... but they also made a lot of chicken salad with chickenshit, especially in the defensive backfield. There are many good things about Belichick, but one of the better ones is the fact that, as they like to say, he "puts players in position to make plays". In other words, coaching to their strengths, putting them into positions to succeed, not putting square pegs into round holes, etc.,. It's how he takes guys like Mike Vrabel and Wes Welker and suddenly they look Canton-bound. If Romeo can do the same thing for the Chiefs, some of these defensive players who've been underperforming might suddenly live up to potential. There are many philosophies to winning, but one of the simpler is, you have to run the ball, and stop the run... if those keep happening, the 11-5 prediction I made for KC won't seem as stupid as it did a month ago.

There's a lot of season left, but Romeo gets my vote for Greatest Overall Addition to this franchise.
He may not be a great HC, but that motherfucker can dial a defense like nobody's business.

bevischief
09-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Too early to tell at this point, let's see what happens next week. They won and we are in 1st place. Let's enjoy it. The rain changed the game plans for both teams and so did the 12th man.

JD10367
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM
There's a lot of season left, but Romeo gets my vote for Greatest Overall Addition to this franchise.
He may not be a great HC, but that mother****er can dial a defense like nobody's business.

Some guys just aren't cut out to coach, but are better coordinators. I would think it's like being a division head vs. being the president of a company; some guys are just better at being midsize fish running their small pond, rather than being the head fish who has to oversee every little aspect and detail.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Some guys just aren't cut out to coach, but are better coordinators. I would think it's like being a division head vs. being the president of a company; some guys are just better at being midsize fish running their small pond, rather than being the head fish who has to oversee every little aspect and detail.

I like that he uses his head instead of being a hot-head like Goonther.

Just Passin' By
09-14-2010, 09:47 PM

That happens a lot with the 'lesser' quarterbacks who go up against them. Patriots fans were apoplectic in 2007, when Jay Feeley was lighting up the Pats for 345 yards in the air, and they didn't calm down until Samuel made the pick in the end zone.

JD10367
09-14-2010, 09:48 PM
I like that he uses his head instead of being a hot-head like Goonther.

Romeo's a hot-head but, when you're comparing him to guys like Haley and Weis, it's like Romeo's on Prozac. :D

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Romeo's a hot-head but, when you're comparing him to guys like Haley and Weis, it's like Romeo's on Prozac. :D

LMAO I'll take it.

KcMizzou
09-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Your fans are dedicated. An impressive sea of noisy red.

The O-line wasn't blocking well, it was rainy, and the receivers weren't holding onto balls. /CasselApologist

Guys on your defense who last year people complained about are now guys who looked like All-Pros last night. Conclusion: Romeo Crennel fucking rocks.

The Chiefs should roll Cleveland next week (they suck balls, and I think Delhomme had an even lower passer rating against Tampa than Cassel did last night). Seattle goes to Denver, St. Louis to Oakland, and Jacksonville to SD, so the Chiefs have to take care of business or else the whole division might be 1-1. But it's nice to see those suckbags all at 0-1 right now; along with Indy being the only winless team in the AFCS, and the Jets losing, it made my weekend. ROFLYou keep saying "your". I always assumed you were a Chiefs fan. Who's your team? (Just curious.)

Direckshun
09-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Rip away.

Your post is bad and you should feel bad.

milkman
09-15-2010, 06:11 AM
You keep saying "your". I always assumed you were a Chiefs fan. Who's your team? (Just curious.)

He's a Patriot fan.

FAX
09-15-2010, 06:17 AM
The Pats-ification of ChiefsPlanet continues.

FAX

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2010, 08:51 AM
The Pats-ification of ChiefsPlanet continues.

FAX

Minus the Cassel-garbage, I'm not really hating on our local Pats as much these days.