PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs VandenBosch >> Derrick Thomas

Chiefnj2
09-17-2010, 09:08 AM
That Crazy Ole Gunther has been sniffing glue again:

Gunther Cunningham: Kyle Vanden Bosch is the best I've seen
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 17, 2010 11:02 AM ET
Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has been a football coach for decades. In all that time, Cunningham says, Lions defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch is the best of player he's coached.

"I've coached this game a long time and I've coached some really good players, a few of them are in the Hall of Fame," Cunningham said. "But Kyle is the best football player I've ever been around in my life. You can talk about stats and sacks, but put on the tape and watch that game. It was the most unbelievable effort I've seen in 30 years of coaching by any position player."

Those are awfully strong words, but Vanden Bosch is obviously the type of player who makes defensive coordinators fall in love. After all, when he became a free agent, Lions head coach Jim Schwartz, who had previously been Vanden Bosch's defensive coordinator in Tennessee, made a midnight visit to Vanden Bosch's door to get a deal done.

Cunningham is glad Schwartz was able to bring Vanden Bosch to town.

booyaf2
09-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Gunther is full retard.

AndChiefs
09-17-2010, 09:13 AM
That Crazy Ole Gunther has been sniffing glue again:

Gunther Cunningham: Kyle Vanden Bosch is the best I've seen
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 17, 2010 11:02 AM ET
Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has been a football coach for decades. In all that time, Cunningham says, Lions defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch is the best of player he's coached.

"I've coached this game a long time and I've coached some really good players, a few of them are in the Hall of Fame," Cunningham said. "But Kyle is the best football player I've ever been around in my life. You can talk about stats and sacks, but put on the tape and watch that game. It was the most unbelievable effort I've seen in 30 years of coaching by any position player."

Those are awfully strong words, but Vanden Bosch is obviously the type of player who makes defensive coordinators fall in love. After all, when he became a free agent, Lions head coach Jim Schwartz, who had previously been Vanden Bosch's defensive coordinator in Tennessee, made a midnight visit to Vanden Bosch's door to get a deal done.

Cunningham is glad Schwartz was able to bring Vanden Bosch to town.

It's true...it doesn't matter what you do. As long as you look good doing it.

MOhillbilly
09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
why the fuck do we still have to hear about gun?
OH i know!
its because retard GMs keep giving him a job.

suds79
09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
If you're a Lions fan, doesn't it make you nervous that someone this crazy is designing your defense?

I'm just picturing crayons, construction paper and a lot of chicken scratch.

blaise
09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Whenever a coach says something about a current player like, "He the best I've coached" or "he's the best athlete I've seen" it's almost always complete BS.

OnTheWarpath15
09-17-2010, 09:17 AM
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/gfiveometer.gif

alpha_omega
09-17-2010, 09:19 AM
I was listening to the radio this morning and they said "coming right up...Gunther says something really stupid".

I had to leave the car so i didn't hear what they were referencing, but apparently they were right.

B_Ambuehl
09-17-2010, 09:26 AM
I was watching Vanden Bosch last weekend and thinking to myself, "If I were an offensive tackle he would be the last motherf*cker I'd ever want to face. "

Watch him play and you will see exactly why Gunther said this. That dude is a beast and has a motor that runs at 1000 R.P.M and never, NEVER quits.

He's also probably the most complete DE in the league. He plays the run as well as pass and does both of them extremely well. He doesn't ignore the run like most of these other higlight film types.

CoMoChief
09-17-2010, 09:26 AM
If you're a Lions fan, doesn't it make you nervous that someone this crazy is designing your defense?

I'm just picturing crayons, construction paper and a lot of chicken scratch.

Forgot to mention the pep talks about taking people's souls and hearts.

Coogs
09-17-2010, 09:28 AM
I wonder if VandenBosh will go into the HOF as a Cardinal, Titan, or Lion?

Fish
09-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Gunther always has a retarded bromance with one of his players. Every year there's a new "Best he's ever seen!!".

Fuck him. Now that he's not screwing up my team anymore I don't care what the crazy old man does.

OnTheWarpath15
09-17-2010, 09:41 AM
I was watching Vanden Bosch last weekend and thinking to myself, "If I were an offensive tackle he would be the last motherf*cker I'd ever want to face. "

Watch him play and you will see exactly why Gunther said this. That dude is a beast and has a motor that runs at 1000 R.P.M and never, NEVER quits.

He's also probably the most complete DE in the league. He plays the run as well as pass and does both of them extremely well. He doesn't ignore the run like most of these other higlight film types.

I heard in interview with Suh a few days ago, and he was asked something about the speed/intensity of the game.

He said that he was dumbfounded by the effort KVB gave on EVERY play.

MVChiefFan
09-17-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't even have to look at that game film to know that Kyle Vanden Bosch doesn't wear any sleeves.

L.A. Chieffan
09-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Gunther is awesome! We love GUN!!!

Signed, Matt Forte owners.

Sofa King
09-17-2010, 09:46 AM
http://www.clonnyserver.com/images/full_retard.jpg

milkman
09-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Gunther always has a retarded bromance with one of his players. Every year there's a new "Best he's ever seen!!".

**** him. Now that he's not screwing up my team anymore I don't care what the crazy old man does.

At least his "bromance" is with a player who actually is a hell of a player this time.

KVB is a guy that brings it every game, but to call him the greatest he ever coached is hyperbole.

booyaf2
09-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Didn't he say the same thing about Keith Bullock a few years back?

Valiant
09-17-2010, 09:53 AM

I guess when his stats start backing up his heart as the greatest, we can crown him greatest ever. Right now he is still a rudy.

MOhillbilly
09-17-2010, 09:56 AM
At least his "bromance" is with a player who actually is a hell of a player this time.

KVB is a guy that brings it every game, but to call him the greatest he ever coached is hyperole.

Dude has a motor no doubt. Its a coaches dream to get guys like KVB. But fuck gun anyhow.

milkman
09-17-2010, 10:11 AM
What was it that Cunther said a few years ago?

I dare someone to say to my face that Kendrell Bell is not a great player?

HemiEd
09-17-2010, 10:16 AM
What was it that ****her said a few years ago?

I dare someone to say to my face that Kendrell Bell is not a great player?

That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read this. ROFL

KC_Lee
09-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Living in NashVegas I got to see KVB a lot. He does go all out at all times, but he also benefits from having a beast of a defensive tackle, i.e. Hansworth when he as playing for his big contract or Suh, playing along side him on the line.

Take that away and he becomes an average to above average end.

Chiefnj2
09-17-2010, 10:33 AM
"They brought in [defensive coordinator] Gunther Cunningham, who’s a [expletive]. And you can quote me on that."
- Scott Fujita.

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Where did he state that Vandenbosch was better than DT?

Gunter is looney...

milkman
09-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Where did he state that Vandenbosch was better than DT?

Gunter is looney...

Did you really ask this question?

Does he have to specifically say DT when he says that KVB is the best player he's ever coached, and mentions that he's coached HoFers?

MOhillbilly
09-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Take that away and he becomes an average to above average end.

You could argue this about ALOT of good/great players even DT.

LaChapelle
09-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I wonder how ol Gun is going to do this week against the Eagles
When the vaunted Atlanta Vicks and their high powered running game came to Arrowhead
Gun dismantled their asses

chop
09-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Here's the article:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/09/detroit_lions_kyle_vanden_bosc.html

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham certainly leans toward hyperbole from time to time, but he went off the charts Thursday when describing defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch.

In last week's game against the Chicago Bears, Vanden Bosch, 32, recorded a team-high 11 tackles.
"I've coached this game a long time and I've coached some really good players, I've been really fortunate and a few of them are in the Hall of Fame -- in fact, more than a few -- and I think this is the best football player I've ever been around in my life,'' Cunningham said. "You can talk about stats and sacks, but put on the tape and watch that game. It's the most unbelievable effort I think I've ever seen in 30 years of coaching by any position player. Derrick Thomas had (seven sacks against Seattle), but it's not about the sacks, it's about the relentless attitude.
"There was one play when he had three guys around (Bears receiver Devin Aromashodu) and couldn't get him to the ground. (Vanden Bosch) rushes the passer 10 yards up the field, they grabbed him and jerked him down, he rolled up and sprinted 30 yards downfield and killed the guy. That guy still hasn't practiced this week. I can't say enough about him. He's a gentleman, he's a professional.
"After the game, I saw him by the bus and said, 'Kyle, here's the deal. You have to take some time off of practice. I can't get you out, you've got to do it.' And he looked at me point blank and said, 'Well, I can't do it either so I'm going to practice.' And he played 79 plays, which is unheard of. I don't know what else to add to that, other than I'm honored to be able to coach him.

"I could go back through a list of players that I've coached, and they're all great, but I've never seen one like this. Ever.''
This week, Cunningham used Vanden Bosch's performance as inspiration for the rest of the unit in a defensive meeting.
"I talked about him. I had his picture up there, it was a great picture with his red eyes,'' Cunningham said. "I basically told the defense that I never thought I'd say that I met a player at this time and place that I believe was better than Derrick Thomas, Leslie O'Neal and all these guys that I've coached. But I'm telling you, this is the best football player I've ever been around. We need to do our jobs better to live up to his standards.''

<!-- -->