PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs MNF's crowd, by Bill Simmons

booyaf2
09-17-2010, 09:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/100917

Five Week 1 games changed the way I felt about one or both of the teams involved. I'm not including Chargers-Chiefs because it nailed all six tent poles of the Ideal Fluke Upset Corollary (home dogs + raucous crowd + special-teams TD + dumb turnovers + bad weather + Norv Turner/Andy Reid/Wade Phillips = FLUKE UPSET!!!!), although Chiefs fans deserve a truck full of kudos for affecting the game during a borderline monsoon that would have driven away 90 percent of the NFL's fan bases. Just a phenomenal performance by them. Then again, I didn't learn anything substantial except "Kansas City fans are so desperate for a good football team that they will battle pneumonia for a Monday night win" and "When the going gets tough, Phil Rivers can turn into a gigantic (nickname for Richard) and I wouldn't be surprised if his entire offensive line decided to intentionally whiff their blocks on a play so he'd get steamrolled by five guys at once."

boogblaster
09-17-2010, 09:28 AM
yea .. and .....

KCUnited
09-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Guys a competitor...

Fritz88
09-17-2010, 09:37 AM
By Richard Simmons?
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
09-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Then again, I didn't learn anything substantial except "Kansas City fans are so desperate for a good football team that they will battle pneumonia for a Monday night win"

LMAO

CaliforniaChief
09-17-2010, 09:44 AM
He conveys sarcasm in a DeezNuts sorta way that makes me laugh.

Sofa King
09-17-2010, 09:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/100917

Five Week 1 games changed the way I felt about one or both of the teams involved. I'm not including Chargers-Chiefs because it nailed all six tent poles of the Ideal Fluke Upset Corollary (home dogs + raucous crowd + special-teams TD + dumb turnovers + bad weather + Norv Turner/Andy Reid/Wade Phillips = FLUKE UPSET!!!!), although Chiefs fans deserve a truck full of kudos for affecting the game during a borderline monsoon that would have driven away 90 percent of the NFL's fan bases. Just a phenomenal performance by them. Then again, I didn't learn anything substantial except "Kansas City fans are so desperate for a good football team that they will battle pneumonia for a Monday night win" and "When the going gets tough, Phil Rivers can turn into a gigantic (nickname for Richard) and I wouldn't be surprised if his entire offensive line decided to intentionally whiff their blocks on a play so he'd get steamrolled by five guys at once."

I'm not sure we have the right players to pull that off

Red Dawg
09-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Guys a competitor...

and a choker

Marcellus
09-17-2010, 10:04 AM
What was that about Rivers? Lmao

big nasty kcnut
09-17-2010, 10:49 AM
rivers a little bitch yelling at his teammates if i was Darren Sproles i would pimpslapped his ass.

gblowfish
09-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Phyllis Rivers cries more than Dick Vermeil.

Bugeater
09-17-2010, 11:20 AM
"When the going gets tough, Phil Rivers can turn into a gigantic (nickname for Richard) and I wouldn't be surprised if his entire offensive line decided to intentionally whiff their blocks on a play so he'd get steamrolled by five guys at once."
<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVqQPQGF4VI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

milkman
09-17-2010, 11:24 AM
rivers a little bitch yelling at his teammates if i was Darren Sproles i would pimpslapped his ass.

Because that's as high as he can reach?

RealSNR
09-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Because that's as high as he can reach?BEEEEEEEEEYAM!

Amnorix
09-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Love Simmons. (I'm sure you guys are shocked to hear that)

Jilly
09-17-2010, 11:47 AM
LMAO

It's true, and the fans at home weren't an exception either. I'm watching all my KC friends' facebook statuses (me included) being updated every 5 seconds because at that point, it's been so long and we were so desperate that even the slightest bit of hope merited shots and yelling and facebook celebrations.

grandllama
09-17-2010, 12:00 PM
All I know is it is four days later and I still don't have my voice back and my hands still hurt from pounding the seats :-)

MahiMike
09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Phyllis Rivers cries more than Dick Vermeil.

But not in a good way...:spock:

lcarus
09-17-2010, 04:53 PM
He says we beat the Browns and with SF coming to town in week 3, he thinks we're starting to look a little "sleepery"

Pasta Little Brioni
09-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Good times! That should have been enough to bury my creeper pick, but this bitter e-mail after Alex Smith's latest stink bomb from Brett in San Jose pushed me over the top:

"Ways to tell that Alex Smith is your quarterback:

1. Zips passes 80 mph at receivers five yards away.
2. Instead of running three yards for the first down when he has a clear path, throws it to receivers at point blank range who aren't expecting it.
3. Runs in the direction of the pressure.
4. Executes play-fake perfectly on fourth-and-1 at the goal line only to overthrow the wide-open fullback.
5. Gleefully checks down to his backs on third-and-20.
6. Every deep ball thrown has the expected completion percentage of a Hail Mary.
7. Starts sprinting towards the sideline even when the pocket protection is perfect."

:hmmm:

KChiefs1
09-17-2010, 08:43 PM
I listened to his podcast when he spent 2 hours breaking down "Beverly Hills 90210"...pretty funny shit.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-17-2010, 08:50 PM
All I know is it is four days later and I still don't have my voice back and my hands still hurt from pounding the seats :-)

Clark should be paying you to attend games.

09-17-2010, 08:51 PM
What cracks me up is he refers to that rain as "monsoon". LMAO

that was a sprinkle compared to what we had to sit through against Seattle.

RJ
09-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure we have the right players to pull that off

Maybe we could manage "steamrolled by two guys at once".

kcxiv
09-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Love Simmons. (I'm sure you guys are shocked to hear that)

loved following his twitter during game 7 of the NBA play offs this year. It was bad ass.

Mama Hip Rockets
09-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I don't understand why anyone would be giving props to the Chiefs fans for sticking it out during a "monsoon." (A) It was just rain. (B) The stadium was half full for half the game because all the pussies couldn't handle getting wet.

I was embarrassed by the fans more than impressed by them.

09-18-2010, 12:37 AM
I don't understand why anyone would be giving props to the Chiefs fans for sticking it out during a "monsoon." (A) It was just rain. (B) The stadium was half full for half the game because all the pussies couldn't handle getting wet.

I was embarrassed by the fans more than impressed by them.All the more reason to recognize those of us that stuck it out with no rain gear at all. That stadium was still rocking in the fourth quarter even though at least 35% of the fans left early or wimped it out on the concourse.

GloryDayz
09-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Somebody near Simmons should ask him if he's over it yet...

Baby Lee
09-18-2010, 08:32 AM
I listened to his podcast when he spent 2 hours breaking down "Beverly Hills 90210"...pretty funny shit.

How much do you need to know about 90210 to enjoy it? It's been sitting in my podqueue for a while b/c I've never seen a minute of the show.

Rausch
09-18-2010, 10:24 AM
How much do you need to know about 90210 to enjoy it?

How much do you need to know about punching cacti to enjoy it?...

Bugeater
09-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Yeah, you should be embarrassed that some people may have been more concerned with catching pneumonia and not being able to take care of their responsibilities they may have for rest of the week. A football game is far more important.

It may not have been a monsoon, but it was more than 'just rain'. It was windy, especially where we were in the upper deck, and it was cold.

Pablo
09-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah, you should be embarrassed that some people may have been more concerned with catching pneumonia and not being able to take care of their responsibilities they may have for rest of the week. A football game is far more important.

It may not have been a monsoon, but it was more than 'just rain'. It was windy, especially where we were in the upper deck, and it was cold.

It wasn't that bad. I stood in the upper deck for the whole game.

Rausch
09-18-2010, 10:38 AM
It wasn't that bad. I stood in the upper deck for the whole game.

Because it was a FOOTBALL GAME and you're not a blubbering vag.

Fuck, are testicles not expected in most football towns across the country?...

Nirvana58
09-18-2010, 10:40 AM

You must not have been at the game. Because it wasn't just rain it was the wind. If you were like me and had tickets in the upper level. It was fucking freezing out there. Anybody who stayed in the upper level for the whole game is a fucking champ and a amazing fan. I snuck down to the lower level for the 4th and it was a million times warmer down there. I never hid inside like a lot of fans but I certainly don't blame anybody who did.

Nirvana58
09-18-2010, 10:59 AM
What did embarrass me as a Chiefs fan. Was when we were in the 2nd quarter and on defence. Some guy wearing a Chiefs jersey had the nerve to tell me to sit down because his girlfriend couldn't see. I laughed and blatenly told him his girlfriend has legs tell her to stand the **** up and yell. Then the guy proceeds to call security over. Joke was on him though, security just laughed it off and told us to have a good time. :thumb:

Baby Lee
09-18-2010, 11:03 AM
How much do you need to know about punching cacti to enjoy it?...

FTR; I like Simmons' pod to start with. KChiefs1 says that particular episode was a pretty funny pod. I'd been avoiding that particular episode as I knew nothing about 90210. Those three facts coalesced into a query as to whether it was something that would be funny and enjoyable [as many Simmons pods are] DESPITE knowing nothing about 90210.

It's not like I'm contemplating educating myself on the however-long run of a decade old tween soap opera just because Simmons has a pod about it.

JD10367
09-18-2010, 11:21 AM
He says we beat the Browns and with SF coming to town in week 3, he thinks we're starting to look a little "sleepery"

He's a plagiarist. You heard it hear first. ;)

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6965106&postcount=25

POND_OF_RED
09-18-2010, 11:45 AM
You must not have been at the game. Because it wasn't just rain it was the wind. If you were like me and had tickets in the upper level. It was ****ing freezing out there. Anybody who stayed in the upper level for the whole game is a ****ing champ and a amazing fan. I snuck down to the lower level for the 4th and it was a million times warmer down there. I never hid inside like a lot of fans but I certainly don't blame anybody who did.

Section 320 near the top. Wasn't cold at all. Are you fucking kidding me? It was over 60 degrees. It could possibly be the warmest game of the year.

Nirvana58
09-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Section 320 near the top. Wasn't cold at all. Are you ****ing kidding me? It was over 60 degrees. It could possibly be the warmest game of the year.

I was in section 331 and the 3rd quarter was freezing. Not the temperature but the rain compiled with the wind. I don't know what to tell you, maybe you just came better prepared than me. (i was in a jersey and shorts) But since almost everbody in my vicinity left for the 3rd and hid inside except 1 old guy and his daughter. I would say that the conditions weren't that great and everybody who stuck it out is someone im proud to call a chiefs fan.

LaChapelle
09-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Off season practice pays off

Rausch
09-18-2010, 12:36 PM
FTR; I like Simmons' pod to start with. KChiefs1 says that particular episode was a pretty funny pod. I'd been avoiding that particular episode as I knew nothing about 90210. Those three facts coalesced into a query as to whether it was something that would be funny and enjoyable [as many Simmons pods are] DESPITE knowing nothing about 90210.

It's not like I'm contemplating educating myself on the however-long run of a decade old tween soap opera just because Simmons has a pod about it.

Perhaps next time he'll base his cast off Bob the Builder or Charmed...

Baby Lee
09-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Perhaps next time he'll base his cast off Bob the Builder or Charmed...

And if it turns out funny in its own right, I might listen to that one as well.

Not sure what kind of point you're trying to make.

Rausch
09-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Not sure what kind of point you're trying to make.

I think you are...

Baby Lee
09-18-2010, 12:57 PM
I think you are...

If I had to guess, it'd be something in the general vein of 'not even Bill Simmons, no matter how much you enjoy his podcast, can make talking about 90210 interesting.' If so, that is an untested hypothesis.
Funny Simmons is enjoyable radio. Sarcastic Simmons is enjoyable radio. There's your baseline
For all you know, he crafts a thoroughly entertaining hour of radio in spite of the subject matter. Maybe he even takes the show down a few pegs in a manner even you would enjoy.
And if indeed that is your hypothesis, why should I prefer it to the opinion of someone who ACTUALLY listened to the fucking thing and has thus far related that it's 'pretty funny?'

Rausch
09-18-2010, 01:06 PM
And if indeed that is your hypothesis, why should I prefer it to the opinion of someone who ACTUALLY listened to the ****ing thing and has thus far related that it's 'pretty funny?'

Well, that's your take on his taste vs. mine.

And while you DON'T know if I've bothered to tune in or not I do know that (at least a few minutes before your post) you haven't.

But get butthurt all you want...

Baby Lee
09-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Well, that's your take on his taste vs. mine.

And while you DON'T know if I've bothered to tune in or not I do know that (at least a few minutes before your post) you haven't.

But get butthurt all you want...

Sure 'butthurt' :rolleyes:

Here's the situation;

KChiefs1: I enjoyed a podcast
Me: I often enjoy the person's podcast as well, care to expand.
You: Oh hai guyz, I have an opinion, but I won't say what it is, I'll just insinuate that even discussing this podcast is a homo thing to do. I know you didn't even ask me, but I wanted you to know I know you're discussing something I don't like people discussing, even if I'm not sure WHAT you're discussing, because people need to know my opinions at all times. Don't be butthurt, because that's not masculine, . . . like me, interjecting myself into conversations no one asked me to join, because I have an opinion that needs to be heard by all.

Mama Hip Rockets
09-19-2010, 12:04 AM
You must not have been at the game. Because it wasn't just rain it was the wind. If you were like me and had tickets in the upper level. It was ****ing freezing out there. Anybody who stayed in the upper level for the whole game is a ****ing champ and a amazing fan. I snuck down to the lower level for the 4th and it was a million times warmer down there. I never hid inside like a lot of fans but I certainly don't blame anybody who did.

Yes I was there, and yes I was in the upper level. I didn't pay $105 for a ticket to watch the game on TV in the concourse.

Mama Hip Rockets
09-19-2010, 12:05 AM

I was in the upper level for the entire game, and did not get sick at all, let alone catch pneumonia. Holy crap, is this board full of Chargers fans or something? I've never heard so many people whine about a little rain.

09-19-2010, 12:14 AM
You must not have been at the game. Because it wasn't just rain it was the wind. If you were like me and had tickets in the upper level. It was ****ing freezing out there. Anybody who stayed in the upper level for the whole game is a ****ing champ and a amazing fan. I snuck down to the lower level for the 4th and it was a million times warmer down there. I never hid inside like a lot of fans but I certainly don't blame anybody who did.Freezing???? WHAT???:doh!:

If that is freezing to you then you had better stay away from Arrowhead from October till the end of the season.

Try the Miami game in December 2008 if you want to experience cold.

SLAG
09-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Freezing???? WHAT???:doh!:

If that is freezing to you then you had better stay away from Arrowhead from October till the end of the season.

The coldest Game I can remember - wife made me leave early.. I would have stayed...

Was December 24, 2005 San Diego Chargers W 20-7 Arrowhead Stadium

It was sleeting/raining and windy the entire day..

I would have toughed it out but the Wife didn't want to get sick ..

oh - and I was there Monday .. In the top section til Mid 2nd Quarter.. when the rain drove everyone out.. and we went down for the rest of the game in section 102...PERFECT Night for football! :arrow::arrow:

Nirvana58
09-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Freezing???? WHAT???:doh!:

Lol I am from Kansas... I am use to extreme weather weather changes. I actually usually go to one of the last games in the season. So i am use to watching the game in the cold with snow on the ground. However, I go to those games prepared for the cold.

For this game it was pretty much hot all day. When the rain started it was a blessing and felt great. Then the wind kicked up and it seemed to drop about 20 degrees pretty suddenly. I froze my ass off screaming in the rain and would do it again in a heartbeat. But by the end of the third quarter i was cold enough that you could cut a diamond on my nipples.

09-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Lol I am from Kansas... I am use to extreme weather weather changes. I actually usually go to one of the last games in the season. So i am use to watching the game in the cold with snow on the ground. However, I go to those games prepared for the cold.

For this game it was pretty much hot all day. When the rain started it was a blessing and felt great. Then the wind kicked up and it seemed to drop about 20 degrees pretty suddenly. I froze my ass off screaming in the rain and would do it again in a heartbeat. But by the end of the third quarter i was cold enough that you could cut a diamond on my nipples.ROFL

It got chilly for certain but it was bearable. And I sure am glad that 60% of the fans stuck it out to help the defense when it mattered most.