PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Good Read by Peter King

booyaf2
09-17-2010, 10:00 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/16/Week2/index.html?eref=sihp

Haley making all the right moves for Chiefs; 10 things to watch for
Story Highlights
How risky is it for the Pats to rely on 34-year-old Fred Taylor as its top ballcarrier?
Arian Foster will have tougher sledding, but he'll top 100 yards again
Brandon Jackson's option No. 1 to replace Ryan Grant, but don't ignore John Kuhn
PRINT EMAIL BUZZ UP! FACEBOOK DIGG TWITTER RSS SHARE

Dexter McCluster celebrates with Todd Haley following a 94-yard punt return touchdown against the Chargers.
AP
One week is way too small a sample size to judge a team, obviously. And we're not going to really know about the Kansas City Chiefs until they come back from their Week 4 bye and play two straight roadies at Indianapolis and Houston. But there they are, alone in first place in the AFC West after their 21-14 win over division favorite San Diego -- with a winnable game at Cleveland coming up.
There was a lot to like Monday night -- the rebirth of Derrick Johnson (game-high 12 tackles) and the production of the rookie class, most notably all-purpose back Dexter McCluster (second round) and tight end Tony Moeaki (third round), who scored two of the three touchdowns. Also, safety Eric Berry (first) and cornerback/returner Javier Arenas (second) played like seasoned pros.
Look a little closer. Look on the sidelines. There was a big difference there, too.
Coach Todd Haley stopped micromanaging every detail of the team in the offseason, importing a proven offensive coordinator, Charlie Weis, and defensive boss, Romeo Crennel. Haley handed Weis the offensive play-calling duties, but retained final say on that front. And this distribution of duties might have made the difference in the decisive touchdown of the game. Might, I say, because you can never tell how games can turn on decisions like the one Haley made late in the second quarter.
Last year, during breaks in the game on the sidelines, Haley would have been deep in conversation with quarterback Matt Cassel, going over the Polaroids to discuss defensive coverage and how to beat it. Now that's Weis' job. So during one of San Diego's drives, Haley looked over and saw Arenas with his hands on his thighs, bent over, obviously winded; he'd been playing all nickel snaps on defense for the Chiefs.
"Put McCluster back on punt returns,'' Haley told special teams coach Steve Hoffman. Hoffman looked at Haley like he had two heads. Arenas had returned two punts in the quarter, one for 36 yards and one for 24. You want me to take Arenas off returns?
"Why?'' Hoffman said. "Javier is doing a great job!''
"He's tired!'' Haley said.
"I understand it wasn't a normal decision to make,'' Haley said this week. "But because I wasn't buried over on the bench coaching Matt, I could make a lot of observations the other night. And when I saw Arenas wearing himself out in the middle of the second quarter, I just thought we could use our resources better.''
McCluster returned the next Mike Scifres punt 94 yards for a touchdown. Longest punt return in Chiefs history. The winning touchdown, as it turned out.
"I had a lot of fun coaching the team the other night,'' Haley said. "The team.''
Weis has settled into an anonymous role with the Chiefs. He doesn't do interviews -- the Chiefs denied me permission to speak with him this week -- ostensibly so he can focus on his job and not the media and public things he struggled with during his five-year tenure at Notre Dame. From all reports, quarterback Cassel likes Weis, the former tutor of Cassel's pal Tom Brady, and they're working well together. Haley said he enjoys the back-and-forth coach discussions with Weis. Then he mostly allows Weis to call the game they've discussed during the week.
There were a couple of exceptions Monday. On fourth down at the San Diego 39 with nine seconds and no timeouts left in the first half, on a rainy and windy night, the Chiefs had a few options. They could throw a Hail Mary or try for a quick throw to the sidelines to get 10 to 12 yards closer for a field-goal try. Weis favored the Hail Mary. Haley flashed back to the Dallas disaster just before halftime the previous night, when the Cowboys should have played it safe but Tony Romo took off running and pitched to Tashard Choice, who had the ball stripped, resulting in Washington's only touchdown of the game.
"I just thought the businesslike decision, up two scores on a lousy weather night, would be to dump it to the back and maybe we'd get in field-goal range with a second or two to kick it,'' Haley said. "We did it, and it didn't work, but I just didn't want to take any chances there that could have cut into our lead. But for the most part, I'm going to bend to the other coaches because they're the ones who've put all the work in, all the time in.''
Haley said he's "really enjoying working with Charlie. When he interviewed, I wanted to know how he was going to react to being in a situation like this. I said, 'You've been the boss of a lot of people for a long time. How will you handle this?' I mean, there's probably not a more high-profile job than Notre Dame coach in our business. But it's been great. I have not had a single doubt about it since we've been working together.''
One other thing I found interesting, and unprecedented to the best of my knowledge, about the Chiefs this week: On Monday morning, 10 hours before the game, he put the players through a 20-minute "workout'' (largely a yoga-type stretching period) at their training facility.
"Trent Dilfer [of ESPN] was here doing the game on TV,'' Haley said, "and at our production meeting the day before the game, I told him I was thinking about doing something to loosen up the players on the morning of the game. His eyes lit up. He said, 'I always felt crappy playing on Monday night.' You know, you sit around for seven, eight, nine hours, doing nothing. Right then, I decided we were going to do something. So Monday morning, our strength and conditioning coach, Mike Clark, got them out on the field for what I'd call a 'dynamic stretch.' Just enough to get a little sweat going.''
Did it work? Who knows? But last year, Haley pressed so many of the wrong buttons. This was a week that was a long time coming for the Chiefs -- a week when the coach made the right moves with players good enough to win a big game against a quality team. The times might be changing in Kansas City.

Dante84
09-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Formatting is friendly

Skyy God
09-17-2010, 10:10 AM
No way Haley pulled Arenas for the Dexecutioner and then gave him the option to field the ball inside the 10.

He's just not capable.

DJ's left nut
09-17-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm slowly coming around on the lunatic.

He made some of his own problems last season, but he looked to make significant strides during the pre-season.

I may have to eat some crow on this guy. He's been far more composed and together this season.

58-4ever
09-17-2010, 10:12 AM
I missed Moeaki's second TD?

FD
09-17-2010, 10:22 AM

Ambiguous writing on King's part. He means McCluster, too.

Direckshun
09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
I loved pissed off Haley. :(

milkman
09-17-2010, 10:28 AM

He's saying that McCluster and Moeaki each scored a TD, which is 2 of the 3 the Chiefs scored.

Reaper16
09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I thought at first that Peter King had written a book titled Good Read. That seems like a Peter King thing to do.

If that's true about Haley seeing that Javi was perhaps to winded to do the punt return then good on Haley for noticing that. That changes my mind on the decision to switch from Javi.

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Man if Haley succeeds there is going to be a lot of pissed off people here...

Pioli and Haley take this team to the playoffs or God forbid a Superbowl... Several here will be on suicide watch for a long long time...

milkman
09-17-2010, 10:35 AM
I thought at first that Peter King had written a book titled Good Read. That seems like a Peter King thing to do.

If that's true about Haley seeing that Javi was perhaps to winded to do the punt return then good on Haley for noticing that. That changes my mind on the decision to switch from Javi.

I've read elsewhere.

milkman
09-17-2010, 10:36 AM

Pioli and Haley take this team to the playoffs or God forbid a Superbowl... Several here will be on suicide watch for a long long time...

You're a fucking idiot.

This is far and away the dumbest fucking post that keeps showing up over and over around here.

FAX
09-17-2010, 10:36 AM
I thought at first that Peter King had written a book titled Good Read. That seems like a Peter King thing to do. ...

ROFL

FAX

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I've read elsewhere.

this is the first that i have heard about Javi being gassed...

Good move by Haley.

Stinger
09-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Now with paragraphs........... Sorry my eyes bled trying to read the OP.......

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Dexter McCluster celebrates with Todd Haley following a 94-yard punt return touchdown against the Chargers.

One week is way too small a sample size to judge a team, obviously. And we're not going to really know about the Kansas City Chiefs until they come back from their Week 4 bye and play two straight roadies at Indianapolis and Houston. But there they are, alone in first place in the AFC West after their 21-14 win over division favorite San Diego -- with a winnable game at Cleveland coming up.

There was a lot to like Monday night -- the rebirth of Derrick Johnson (game-high 12 tackles) and the production of the rookie class, most notably all-purpose back Dexter McCluster (second round) and tight end Tony Moeaki (third round), who scored two of the three touchdowns. Also, safety Eric Berry (first) and cornerback/returner Javier Arenas (second) played like seasoned pros.

Look a little closer. Look on the sidelines. There was a big difference there, too.

Coach Todd Haley stopped micromanaging every detail of the team in the offseason, importing a proven offensive coordinator, Charlie Weis, and defensive boss, Romeo Crennel. Haley handed Weis the offensive play-calling duties, but retained final say on that front. And this distribution of duties might have made the difference in the decisive touchdown of the game. Might, I say, because you can never tell how games can turn on decisions like the one Haley made late in the second quarter.

Last year, during breaks in the game on the sidelines, Haley would have been deep in conversation with quarterback Matt Cassel, going over the Polaroids to discuss defensive coverage and how to beat it. Now that's Weis' job. So during one of San Diego's drives, Haley looked over and saw Arenas with his hands on his thighs, bent over, obviously winded; he'd been playing all nickel snaps on defense for the Chiefs.

"Put McCluster back on punt returns,'' Haley told special teams coach Steve Hoffman. Hoffman looked at Haley like he had two heads. Arenas had returned two punts in the quarter, one for 36 yards and one for 24. You want me to take Arenas off returns?

"I understand it wasn't a normal decision to make,'' Haley said this week. "But because I wasn't buried over on the bench coaching Matt, I could make a lot of observations the other night. And when I saw Arenas wearing himself out in the middle of the second quarter, I just thought we could use our resources better.''

McCluster returned the next Mike Scifres punt 94 yards for a touchdown. Longest punt return in Chiefs history. The winning touchdown, as it turned out.

"I had a lot of fun coaching the team the other night,'' Haley said. "The team.''

Weis has settled into an anonymous role with the Chiefs. He doesn't do interviews -- the Chiefs denied me permission to speak with him this week -- ostensibly so he can focus on his job and not the media and public things he struggled with during his five-year tenure at Notre Dame. From all reports, quarterback Cassel likes Weis, the former tutor of Cassel's pal Tom Brady, and they're working well together. Haley said he enjoys the back-and-forth coach discussions with Weis. Then he mostly allows Weis to call the game they've discussed during the week.

There were a couple of exceptions Monday. On fourth down at the San Diego 39 with nine seconds and no timeouts left in the first half, on a rainy and windy night, the Chiefs had a few options. They could throw a Hail Mary or try for a quick throw to the sidelines to get 10 to 12 yards closer for a field-goal try. Weis favored the Hail Mary. Haley flashed back to the Dallas disaster just before halftime the previous night, when the Cowboys should have played it safe but Tony Romo took off running and pitched to Tashard Choice, who had the ball stripped, resulting in Washington's only touchdown of the game.

"I just thought the businesslike decision, up two scores on a lousy weather night, would be to dump it to the back and maybe we'd get in field-goal range with a second or two to kick it,'' Haley said. "We did it, and it didn't work, but I just didn't want to take any chances there that could have cut into our lead. But for the most part, I'm going to bend to the other coaches because they're the ones who've put all the work in, all the time in.''

Haley said he's "really enjoying working with Charlie. When he interviewed, I wanted to know how he was going to react to being in a situation like this. I said, 'You've been the boss of a lot of people for a long time. How will you handle this?' I mean, there's probably not a more high-profile job than Notre Dame coach in our business. But it's been great. I have not had a single doubt about it since we've been working together.''

One other thing I found interesting, and unprecedented to the best of my knowledge, about the Chiefs this week: On Monday morning, 10 hours before the game, he put the players through a 20-minute "workout'' (largely a yoga-type stretching period) at their training facility.

"Trent Dilfer [of ESPN] was here doing the game on TV,'' Haley said, "and at our production meeting the day before the game, I told him I was thinking about doing something to loosen up the players on the morning of the game. His eyes lit up. He said, 'I always felt crappy playing on Monday night.' You know, you sit around for seven, eight, nine hours, doing nothing. Right then, I decided we were going to do something. So Monday morning, our strength and conditioning coach, Mike Clark, got them out on the field for what I'd call a 'dynamic stretch.' Just enough to get a little sweat going.''

Did it work? Who knows? But last year, Haley pressed so many of the wrong buttons. This was a week that was a long time coming for the Chiefs -- a week when the coach made the right moves with players good enough to win a big game against a quality team. The times might be changing in Kansas City.

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:39 AM
You're a ****ing idiot.

This is far and away the dumbest ****ing post that keeps showing up over and over around here.

ROFL

Keep pipe dreaming buddy, but defend all you want. There are a few here that want nothing more than the Chiefs to fail so they can be right.

I love your DaneMcwannabe name calling... Its so cute... Can you ever have a normal discussion? Show that you have some sort of education in your discussions. Your better than this.

milkman
09-17-2010, 10:42 AM
ROFL

Keep pipe dreaming buddy, but defend all you want. There are a few here that want nothing more than the Chiefs to fail so they can be right.

I love your DaneMcwannabe name calling... Its so cute... Can you ever have a normal discussion? Show that you have some sort of education in your discussions. Your better than this.

I can have a normal discussion with someone who isn't a ****ing moron.

You're a ****ing moron, and I'm sick of the stupid shit that you, and others of your ilk post.

It is the stupidest shit ever posted on this site.

noa
09-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Dude, as much as we all love to be right, I think everyone here would rather be wrong and see us make the Super Bowl.

boogblaster
09-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Peter knows good-reads ....

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I can have a normal discussion with someone who isn't a ****ing moron.

You're a ****ing moron, and I'm sick of the stupid shit that you, and others of your ilk post.

It is the stupidest shit ever posted on this site.

What makes you and your opinion the only one that is right? Seriously are you some kind of message board monitor that people can only conform and post what you think they should post?

Your making me laugh like this ROFL You can call it stupid shit all you want, if it wasn't the truth, you wouldn't feel that you have to stand up and correct everyone, so you can feel better about yourself.

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Dude, as much as we all love to be right, I think everyone here would rather be wrong and see us make the Super Bowl.

Probably so, and until that actually happens and the back peddaling begins. We will have to endure it.

Anyway, its a good read at how Haley has adjusted his style of coaching. You are only as good as the people are around you.

Brock
ROFL

You mean like a couple of years ago when you couldn't post without mentioning Herm?

-King-

He made some of his own problems last season, but he looked to make significant strides during the pre-season.

I may have to eat some crow on this guy. He's been far more composed and together this season.

He was probably stressed last year because of all his responsibilities. I've always like him. He knows how to motivate and it seems like the players like him. And this team is looking more disciplined than ever.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:49 AM
You mean like a couple of years ago when you couldn't post without mentioning Herm?

Yep your right! 100% correct.

Kind of like how some cant post anything without taking a jab at Cassel...

-King-
09-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Probably so, and until that actually happens and the back peddaling begins. We will have to endure it.

Anyway, its a good read at how Haley has adjusted his style of coaching. You are only as good as the people are around you.

Dude... Simmer down
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
09-17-2010, 10:51 AM

No one has brought up cassel except you. Shit, people were praising Haley till you came along.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock

Seems pretty hypocritical for you to complain about people doing the exact same thing you were doing.

Reerun_KC
He was probably stressed last year because of all his responsibilities. I've always like him. He knows how to motivate and it seems like the players like him. And this team is looking more disciplined than ever.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do miss the weekly highlights of him exploding though...

Pants
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
ROFL

I'm pretty sure that the reason all the bitching about the FO decisions and coaching that's brought up is due to everyone wanting the Chiefs to succeed. I don't think anyone will be angry at Pioli/Haley if we do indeed make a run in the play-offs. You need to stop with the silly talk, friend.

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Seems pretty hypocritical for you to complain about people doing the exact same thing you were doing.

Its Chiefsplanet Brock... Name me one person that hasnt been hyprocritical here about something??

Shit it happens all day every day.... Just about any thread you can find something of that nature...

Brock
09-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Its Chiefsplanet Brock... Name me one person that hasnt been hyprocritical here about something??

Shit it happens all day every day.... Just about any thread you can find something of that nature...

That's fine, I just wanted to make sure you knew how ridiculous you sound when you complain about it.

Pants
09-17-2010, 10:53 AM

That doesn't mean it's OK to do. Now is probably a good time to stop your crusade. :)

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Dude... Simmer down
Posted via Mobile Device

Believe me, I am extremely calm... Its Friday, Heading to the golf course around 2p... Nothing can upset me today...

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:56 AM
That doesn't mean it's OK to do. Now is probably a good time to stop your crusade. :)

Man take all the fun out of it why dont you... Milkman is a great guy with a very short fuse... Its so fun to watch him go off...

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 10:57 AM
That's fine, I just wanted to make sure you knew how ridiculous you sound when you complain about it.

:) Know the feeling... I have been here a long time.... I have seen my share of ridiculousness.

milkman
09-17-2010, 10:58 AM
What makes you and your opinion the only one that is right? Seriously are you some kind of message board monitor that people can only conform and post what you think they should post?

Your making me laugh like this ROFL You can call it stupid shit all you want, if it wasn't the truth, you wouldn't feel that you have to stand up and correct everyone, so you can feel better about yourself.

If your dumbass wasn't so busy trying to question the fandom of the people whose passion is driven by the fact that they want to see a winner, then you wouldn't have already missed the change in tenor of the posts from almost everyone of the posters you are assigning the bullshit frame of mind to.

Pants
09-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Man take all the fun out of it why dont you... Milkman is a great guy with a very short fuse... Its so fun to watch him go off...

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were just having fun out there. It's hard to tell on the internet sometimes.

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 11:02 AM
If your dumbass wasn't so busy trying to question the fandom of the people whose passion is driven by the fact that they want to see a winner, then you wouldn't have already missed the change in tenor of the posts from almost everyone of the posters you are assigning the bullshit frame of mind to.

:) Milkman... I appreciate your passion and fandom... I think you will realize that 90% of the time when it comes to posting with you. I am just yanking your chain to see your reaction.

I am not questioning anyones fandom... Shit people are on and off the bandwagon here on CP each and every play of the game. How can anyone know who is or isnt a fan...

Its like a prairie dog town... Up and down all game long...

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were just having fun out there. It's hard to tell on the internet sometimes.

Yeah its MM... IF you see banter between us. Its nothing more than me picking at him....

milkman
09-17-2010, 11:08 AM
:) Milkman... I appreciate your passion and fandom... I think you will realize that 90% of the time when it comes to posting with you. I am just yanking your chain to see your reaction.

I am not questioning anyones fandom... Shit people are on and off the bandwagon here on CP each and every play of the game. How can anyone know who is or isnt a fan...

Its like a prairie dog town... Up and down all game long...

Just so you know.
This is me.

I am not a laid back guy, and you have never actually seen me pissed off.

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Pants
09-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah its MM... IF you see banter between us. Its nothing more than me picking at him....

Yeah, I understand. However, he only came in to defend himself and the horsemen army AFTER you already made your assertions. That's why I was a little confused.

Fish
09-17-2010, 11:10 AM

Why? Nobody likes that.

And this behavior is becoming pretty standard for you. You say something totally stupid, and a bunch of people call you out for it, and you backtrack and respond with "Ohh hey, just joking with you. You know how me and [insert poster you're suddenly trying to be buddies with] are... This CP internet stuff... LOL.."

Same thing, different thread.

JD10367
09-17-2010, 11:13 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Veeeeeeeeeddy interesting.

Pants
09-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I don't Haley likes Matty too much.

PunkinDrublic
09-17-2010, 11:16 AM
I know Peter King has his fair share of haters on here but he is one of my favorite NFL writers and I put a lot of stock into what he has to say. When you report on the NFL for as long as he has you tend to develpe relationships and contacts with reliable insiders that a lot of other writers don't have. I certainly value his Chiefs takes a lot more than Whitlock and his personal agenda.

keg in kc
09-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Nice to get some insight into the changes. Shame we can't get any of that out of the local yokels working at the Star.

JD10367
09-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I don't Haley likes Matty too much.

Reading between the lines, it also sounds like Haley has been patient trying to tutor Cassel, but I get the feeling that if Cassel doesn't shine, and soon... Matt may not know it, but he's on the precipice right now, and the next few weeks will decide his history.

milkman
09-17-2010, 11:20 AM
I know Peter King has his fair share of haters on here but he is one of my favorite NFL writers and I put a lot of stock into what he has to say. When you report on the NFL for as long as he has you tend to develpe relationships and contacts with reliable insiders that a lot of other writers don't have. I certainly value his Chiefs takes a lot more than Whitlock and his personal agenda.

I have no problem with King's reporting.

It's when he injects his opinions is where the problems arise.

He's an idiot.

PunkinDrublic
09-17-2010, 11:30 AM

He's an idiot.

I don't mind him injecting his opinions. Look at the difference between this well thought out piece and Whitlocks agenda driven tripe from yesterday. King put in some well reasoned analysis as to why the Chiefs appear to be a team that's vastly improved. There's a reason why King has been reporting on the NFL for SI for years while Whitlock has a trail of burned bridges.

milkman
09-17-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't mind him injecting his opinions. Look at the difference between this well thought out piece and Whitlocks agenda driven tripe from yesterday. King put in some well reasoned analysis as to why the Chiefs appear to be a team that's vastly improved. There's a reason why King has been reporting on the NFL for SI for years while Whitlock has a trail of burned bridges.

I'm not debating the merits of King v. Whitlock.

I am simply stating how I see King.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2010, 11:36 AM

He's an idiot.

Well to his credit, he does mention (ad nauseam, IMO) that he's a terrible fantasy football guy and that his opinions, outside of his reporting, are just his opinions. He doesn't try to force them upon anyone.

I've always liked him but that's probably more due to the fact that he's very well connected and writes about football year 'round. He often provided insight because of his connection (the Labor Deal, for example) that others can't, strictly because of his access.

gblowfish
09-17-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm very optimistic about Coach Haley getting better at his job this year. First of all, he's no longer a rookie head coach. Secondly, he has at least three guys -Crenel, Weis and Emmitt Thomas- on his staff that have been head coaches. If you look at video footage of Coach Haley last year, you can see him slowly crumble away as the year went on. He looked haggard, big dark circles under his eyes, he was crabby, etc. Now he just looks healthier, both mentally and physically, and seems to be sharper. I think that's going to pay dividends. I'm not saying he's going to turn into Bill Parcells overnight, but I think he'll make better decisions this year.

And I'm sure we'll see "Angry Todd" a few times too. We haven't had any major trauma happen yet.

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 12:06 PM

He's an idiot.

He might be an idiot, but his articles are at least readable. Whitlocks comes off like a jlited 14 year old girl..

Or the physco ex that you just cant get away...

If Pioli and Haley would give Jason two minutes of their time, he would change his tune quickly...

Chiefnj2
09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
It's great that Haley is delegating to Weis and Crennell. I don't like that fact that Haley has apparently turned into Herm/Marty with his conservative approach and comments - the most important thing in the game was not turning the ball over.

DJ's left nut
09-17-2010, 12:16 PM

So why would anyone need to backpedal?

You'll acknowledge that Haley is night/day compared to last year, no?

And it was 2009 Haley that inspired so much ire, no?

So if 2010 Haley is nothing like 2009 Haley, why would one need to backpedal to say anything positive about him?

I was as hard on him as anyone last year, but prior to the GB I told my boss (who I watch the games with) that I've seen a major change in him and am slowly warming to him. I don't believe that's a backpedal, it's an acceptance and endorsement of the changes he's made.

If Matt Cassel turns into a pro bowler, I'll need to backpedal. If Todd Haley becomes a solid NFL coach by being something completely different than he was in 2010, fantastic - 'bout time he took my advice.

Reerun_KC
09-17-2010, 12:19 PM
It's great that Haley is delegating to Weis and Crennell. I don't like that fact that Haley has apparently turned into Herm/Marty with his conservative approach and comments - the most important thing in the game was not turning the ball over.

We might want to wait a game or two before we label him a Herm/Marty... Haley has proven that he is anything but an a Herm/Marty. Last year he did alot of UN-Marty type of things...

I just think that being up 2 scores, bad weather and knowing that SD had to play catch up... They chose to sit on it and "try" to protect the lead.

Flip the score with KC down 14. I bet you would of see Cassel airing it out...

Just a thought.

splatbass
09-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I think his demeanor last year was on purpose. He was trying to weed out the weak, the lazy, the ones that weren't team players. Last year was tearing down the old. This year is building the new. He found the players that will fit his vision, now he is getting them to play as a team.

TheGuardian
09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Seems like Cassel isn't Haley's most favorite player in the world right now. Seeing how he likes Brokie, I think two or three weeks of shitty play could get Brokie back on the field.

At least for a single series......then someone would throw a mound of dirt at him and hit him with it, causing a compound fracture of his femur ending his career. And then Matt would be back on the field......

DJ's left nut
09-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I think his demeanor last year was on purpose. He was trying to weed out the weak, the lazy, the ones that weren't team players. Last year was tearing down the old. This year is building the new. He found the players that will fit his vision, now he is getting them to play as a team.

I think you're now assuming that Todd Haley is actually Machiavelli.

I think his demeanor last year was that of a rookie head coach that bit off way more than he could chew. He made a lot of his own problems and they overwhelmed him.

To say it was all an act designed to parse out the weak would ignore his history as a bit of a psychopath. He has a track record of losing his shit - I think that's what we saw last season.

Ugly Duck
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Well to his credit, he does mention (ad nauseam, IMO) that he's a terrible fantasy football guy and that his opinions, outside of his reporting, are just his opinions. He doesn't try to force them upon anyone.

His Week 2 picks are very interesting... he's picking all the AFCW teams to win - but mostly doesn't know why:

Chiefs 19, Browns 17 - "I have no idea why."
Broncos 26, Sehawks 23 - "Another one of those I-have-no-clue-who'll-win games."
Raiders 23, Rams 20 - "The league gives the Raiders a season-saving parachute in Week 2 by having the Rams drop into the gloom that is enveloping this team."
Chargers 23, Jags 20 - You're surprised by how close of a game I see? Part of the reason is that David Garrard is going to be able to make some plays, based on the meek Charger pass-rush from Monday night. Against a weak Chiefs offensive line, the Chargers managed one sack and one additional quarterback hit. How long will we in the media continue to misstate how dominant the San Diego defensive front is?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/16/weekend.pickoff.week.2/index.html

PunkinDrublic
09-17-2010, 01:41 PM
I think you coach like the people you were influenced by before you forge your own identity. Haleys Parcells influence definately shows at times but he's very much developing his own coaching style IMO.

Red Dawg
09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that the reason all the bitching about the FO decisions and coaching that's brought up is due to everyone wanting the Chiefs to succeed. I don't think anyone will be angry at Pioli/Haley if we do indeed make a run in the play-offs. You need to stop with the silly talk, friend.

That's true but alot of people on this board have been bitching about Scott and Haley before any games were played over a year ago. People on this board complain just to complain and they act like they no more SB winning coaches and GM's.

Half of you are buch of douche bags.

Mecca
09-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Do you really believe this?

mlyonsd
09-17-2010, 02:50 PM
This might sound corny but I stood for the entire 4 quarters of Monday Nights game.

It almost seemed like the cleansing of Arrowhead. We're a long way away but I think at least the stink is off the team.

TheGuardian
09-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Do you really believe this?

That was probably directed at you.

Fritz88
09-17-2010, 03:04 PM

CP had an upbeat and friendly spirit after the win. If the Chiefs win, everyone will be happy. Especially the draftubulators.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hillbilly Ho' Down
09-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Just wait 'til we lose a couple of games, drop a few passes, or maybe just make a single bone-headed play: Haley will become totally unglued.

OnTheWarpath15
09-17-2010, 03:21 PM

I've been slowly coming around on him starting with the Steelers game last year.

He settled the fuck down, quit acting like a raving lunatic on the sideline, and did his job.

It seems to be paying off.

BossChief
09-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Mecca, I would sure like to know what you are like in real life after we win a game.

Do you enjoy it and just get misrepresented by the way your posts are taken on here?

Or do you immediately start thinking about the bad parts of the game?

Baby Lee
09-17-2010, 03:24 PM
That's true but alot of people on this board have been bitching about Scott and Haley before any games were played over a year ago. People on this board complain just to complain and they act like they no more SB winning coaches and GM's.

Half of you are buch of douche bags.

Didn't happen in a vacuum, seem to recall they [well, at least Pioli] brought the $63M flop with them.

Re: douchiness. Daily prayers that Cassel develops at least to a Trent Dilfer level, while knowing in your heart that he's a Scott Mitchell through and through, can be a draining exercise.

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Mecca, I would sure like to know what you are like in real life after we win a game.

Do you enjoy it and just get misrepresented by the way your posts are taken on here?

Or do you immediately start thinking about the bad parts of the game?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s55/ka_nao/baz5.gif

Saccopoo
09-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Reading between the lines, it also sounds like Haley has been patient trying to tutor Cassel, but I get the feeling that if Cassel doesn't shine, and soon... Matt may not know it, but he's on the precipice right now, and the next few weeks will decide his history.

Might as well get it rolling now versus later...

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/13728-1/ChristianPonder.jpg

notorious
09-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Wins are wonderful.....

BUT.....

Until we win consistantly and have the proper players to win a SB (I am looking your way, Mr. Cassel), every victory will be looked at with cynical optimism.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Wins are wonderful.....

BUT.....

Until we win consistantly and have the proper players to win a SB (I am looking your way, Mr. Cassel), every victory will be looked at with cynical optimism.

IF the Chiefs continue to win in spite of Cassel, he'll be replaced sooner than later.

notorious
09-17-2010, 04:52 PM
IF the Chiefs continue to win in spite of Cassel, he'll be replaced sooner than later.

Pretty please with a cherry on top.

Bane
09-17-2010, 04:55 PM

They would replace him even if we are still winning?:shake:

Why in the hell if we're winning would they make a change?After all isn't the main goal to win games,not watch Casshole stack up passing stats? Sorry man,I cant get on board with this train of thought.IMO every game we win,no matter how he plays,gives them 1 more reason not to make a change.

I do want to win regardless of who our QB is.I've never 1 time rooted for a KC loss,not even for draft position.

keg in kc
09-17-2010, 04:58 PM

Why in the hell if we're winning would they make a change?After all isn't the main goal to win games,not watch Casshole stack up passing stats? Sorry man,I cant get on board with this train of thought.IMO every game we win,no matter how he plays,gives them 1 more reason not to make a change.

I do want to win regardless of who our QB is.I've never 1 time rooted for a KC loss,not even for draft position.If the goal is winning a championship, they certainly would replace him, if he's the difference between winning 10 games and winning 12 or 14, and between winning at home in the playoffs off a bye or losing on the road in week 1.

notorious
09-17-2010, 05:02 PM

I do want to win regardless of who our QB is.I've never 1 time rooted for a KC loss,not even for draft position.

What happened to the "58"?

ChiefsCountry
09-17-2010, 05:02 PM

To be fair acquiring douchebag Cassel is why the fuse for most people was very short on Pioli and Haley. It fucked our whole 2009 draft for one. It clouded alot of our judgement on them, still does. Get rid of Cassel and you will see alot more people on Pioli's bandwagon.

Bane
09-17-2010, 05:04 PM
What happened to the "58"?

I just figured it was time for change,that's all.

Bane
09-17-2010, 05:06 PM
If the goal is winning a championship, they certainly would replace him, if he's the difference between winning 10 games and winning 12 or 14, and between winning at home in the playoffs off a bye or losing on the road in week 1.

My problem with that is I think he has just enough help around him to play good enough for them to say he'll be fine and keep him.

notorious
09-17-2010, 05:06 PM
I just figured it was time for change,that's all.

Cool.

notorious
09-17-2010, 05:08 PM
My problem with that is I think he has just enough help around him to play good enough for them to say he'll be fine and keep him.

I am fearful of that scenario as well.

When we get to .500 territory, our draft position will drop below 15. The chances of getting a franchise QB go way down.

Saccopoo
09-17-2010, 05:12 PM

When we get to .500 territory, our draft position will drop below 15. The chances of getting a franchise QB go way down.

Christian Ponder. Florida State. He'll most likely be there when the Chiefs pick in the first round and probably fits the system better than any other QB in the 2011 draft. However, a guy like Pat Devlin of Delaware could be there in the second round if they wanted to go ROLB (Von Miller) or WR (AJ Green/Julio Jones/Michael Floyd) with their first pick.

keg in kc
09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
My problem with that is I think he has just enough help around him to play good enough for them to say he'll be fine and keep him.He'll have to play significantly better than he did on Monday night for that to happen. He looked like he'd regressed.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2010, 05:18 PM

I said "in spite of Cassel", i.e., Monday night's game.

For example, the Baltimore Ravens in 2000 were winning with Tony Banks but they replaced him with Dilfer.

All they did after that was win the Super Bowl.

Again, "In Spite of". Do you think the Jets would be better off with Brunell. at QB or Sanchez? What if they can win with both, but Brunell's abilities take them further along?

What I stated has absolutely nothing to do with draft position. I've never in my life advocated that the Chiefs lose a game to move up in the draft. That's dumb thinking.

Bane
09-17-2010, 05:19 PM

I'm not saying they won't replace him,but IMO it would take 5-6 EPIC,heart braking losses that fall on Casshole alone.I'm not talking about loss by FG with 3 seconds left.I mean massive ass kickings that embarrass the whole organization.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2010, 05:19 PM

I don't think that's going to happen.

I just can't see a guy like Haley or Weis "lay down" for a QB they don't believe in.

notorious
09-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Christian Ponder. Florida State. He'll most likely be there when the Chiefs pick in the first round and probably fits the system better than any other QB in the 2011 draft. However, a guy like Pat Devlin of Delaware could be there in the second round if they wanted to go ROLB (Von Miller) or WR (AJ Green/Julio Jones/Michael Floyd) with their first pick.

I have not had the opportunity to watch those QBs play yet.

Do they appear to have the "IT" quality?

I like the list of WR's, but that would be like adding a turbocharger to a Corvette when the driver is a 90 year old grandma.

milkman
09-17-2010, 05:21 PM

If you are't going to use a first round pick on a QB, especially after a new agrreement is in place with the player's union that will undoubtedly include a salary scale on rookies, then you might as well start looking around the league for a young backup QB to trade for.

Bane
09-17-2010, 05:21 PM
What I stated has absolutely nothing to do with draft position. I've never in my life advocated that the Chiefs lose a game to move up in the draft. That's dumb thinking.

I was simply stating that even at the thought of running Casshole off,I'd never root for a KC loss.

As far as the other goes,I'll believe that they will replace him the very second it happens.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm not saying they won't replace him,but IMO it would take 5-6 EPIC,heart braking losses that fall on Casshole alone.I'm not talking about loss by FG with 3 seconds left.I mean massive ass kickings that embarrass the whole organization.

Like both San Diego games and the Denver game last year?

Even in the finale, when the Chiefs whooped their asses, his QB rating was a paltry 56.

Weis, Crennell and even Haley to some extent are all proven winners in this league. I can't see them babying Cassel to the point where they're on pins and needles each week with his performance.

IMO, he either shits or gets off the pot this season.

notorious
09-17-2010, 05:24 PM
shits or gets off the pot this season.

Best saying ever. LMAO

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2010, 05:26 PM
I was simply stating that even at the thought of running Casshole off,I'd never root for a KC loss.

Who here, besides a rival fan or a complete fucking moron, would?

As far as the other goes,I'll believe that they will replace him the very second it happens.

Wow, Dude, that's harsh.

I guess Aerosmith wrote that song about you.

Jaded.

keg in kc
09-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Again, "In Spite of". Do you think the Jets would be better off with Brunell. at QB or Sanchez? What if they can win with both, but Brunell's abilities take them further along?We may find out.

I think Sanchez is fortunate in that it's Brunell and not somebody a little younger who's had recent performance.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2010, 05:32 PM
We may find out.

I think Sanchez is fortunate in that it's Brunell and not somebody a little younger who's had recent performance.

Probably.

All I know is that the Jets won't win a damn thing this year unless they can get a lot more from their QB position.

DaWolf
09-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Todd Haley is the one always talking about guys needing to be consistent and not "yo-yo's". So I can't see him sticking it out long term with a QB if said QB can't be consistent on a pass to pass basis. I think they're looking for Cassel to prove he can be a consistent performer this year. If he can't, they'll be looking for someone else...

milkman
09-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Probably.

All I know is that the Jets won't win a damn thing this year unless they can get a lot more from their QB position.

I think the Jets fall back to earth this year.

Both New England and Miami are better, more rounded teams, in their division, and they have Minnesota, Green Bay, Houston, Pittsburg and Cincinnati on thier schedule.

Those games could easily get them to 8 or 9 losses.

Bane
09-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Like both San Diego games and the Denver game last year?

Even in the finale, when the Chiefs whooped their asses, his QB rating was a paltry 56.

Weis, Crennell and even Haley to some extent are all proven winners in this league. I can't see them babying Cassel to the point where they're on pins and needles each week with his performance.

IMO, he either shits or gets off the pot this season.

Who here, besides a rival fan or a complete ****ing moron, would?

Wow, Dude, that's harsh.

I guess Aerosmith wrote that song about you.

Jaded.

Yes like those games.I think it will take several of those before they even think of making a change.

Jaded eh? Maybe....

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Yes like those games.I think it will take several of those before they even think of making a change.

Jaded eh? Maybe....

Well, Weis was brought in to "fix him". If the Chiefs begin to lose games solely on the play of Cassel, he's a goner.

If the Chiefs barely squeek by, solely on the play of Cassel, he's a goner.

He's going to need to finish the season with a QB rating of at least 90.0 and with numbers like 20 TD's and 12 INT's in order to retain his job next season.

keg in kc
09-17-2010, 06:00 PM
I think the Jets fall back to earth this year.

Both New England and Miami are better, more rounded teams, in their division, and they have Minnesota, Green Bay, Houston, Pittsburg and Cincinnati on thier schedule.

Those games could easily get them to 8 or 9 losses.I agree. I think last year was their martyball year in the sun, and they sink back to reality in 2010.

It may get ugly against the Patriots Sunday, even though it's a home game. I don't think it's a good thing for them that Randy Moss is a little worked up.

Bane
09-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Well, Weis was brought in to "fix him". If the Chiefs begin to lose games solely on the play of Cassel, he's a goner.

If the Chiefs barely squeek by, solely on the play of Cassel, he's a goner.

He's going to need to finish the season with a QB rating of at least 90.0 and with numbers like 20 TD's and 12 INT's in order to retain his job next season.

Well I hope he has better luck than all the other coaches Cassel has had throughout his whole career.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Well I hope he has better luck than all the other coaches Cassel has had throughout his whole career.

I do as well, but I don't think it's possible.

But at least they'll say they tried.

go bo
09-17-2010, 06:39 PM
ROFL

I love your DaneMcwannabe name calling... Its so cute... Can you ever have a normal discussion? Show that you have some sort of education in your discussions. Your better than this.c'mon now, it's either you're better than this or it's your and idiot...

CosmicPal
09-17-2010, 06:45 PM
The rookies all looked great- all except for Kendrick Lewis who just looked flat out HORRIBLE!

He was missing tackles all over the place. At one point, he threw his arms up to block his own body like some kid who was scared to get hurt. I was very disappointed in his performance, but I'm going to chalk it up as first game jitters for him, 'cause I don't recall him being such a pussy during the preseason.

-King-
09-17-2010, 06:52 PM
The rookies all looked great- all except for Kendrick Lewis who just looked flat out HORRIBLE!

He was missing tackles all over the place. At one point, he threw his arms up to block his own body like some kid who was scared to get hurt. I was very disappointed in his performance, but I'm going to chalk it up as first game jitters for him, 'cause I don't recall him being such a pussy during the preseason.

WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU WATCHING? Lewis looked good out there. Even better than Berry.

LaChapelle
09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
If Haley does fail he and Herm were the best failures for this franchise
Herm went young and Haley is forcing mental and physical toughness
and a top of the line head coach will take on this group -QB of course being a negative

CosmicPal
09-17-2010, 07:39 PM
WHAT THE **** WERE YOU WATCHING? Lewis looked good out there. Even better than Berry.

I suggest you go back and watch the game if you have it on tape.

I'm not kidding when I say this, but he looked like he was afraid to tackle out there on way too many plays.

Again, I like the kid and think he's going to be a good player, and I'm going to chalk this up as first game jitters, but he was pathetic Monday night.

-King-
09-17-2010, 08:36 PM
I suggest you go back and watch the game if you have it on tape.

I'm not kidding when I say this, but he looked like he was afraid to tackle out there on way too many plays.

Again, I like the kid and think he's going to be a good player, and I'm going to chalk this up as first game jitters, but he was pathetic Monday night.

You seem to be the only one who thinks that. Shit even DJsLeftNut(thats funny as shit to say) thought Lewis played better than Berry.

-King-
09-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Going back to the Haley thing...anyone notice that when a player gets a TD, Haley is there to congratulate them? I like that. Most other coaches don't do that.

Frankie
09-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Dude... Simmer down
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't get it. He is the one who's handled this conversation calmly. Why are you asking HIM to simmer down? :shrug:

stevieray
09-17-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't get it.

please, don't rub it in.

Frankie
09-17-2010, 08:53 PM
No one has brought up cassel except you. Shit, people were praising Haley till you came along.
Posted via Mobile Device

This year. But I think he's talking about last year as well.

Frankie
09-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I do miss the weekly highlights of him exploding though...

I don't. I feel I can trust a calm and poised coach more.

Frankie
09-17-2010, 08:56 PM

Eh,..... Moi?

RustShack
09-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Going back to the Haley thing...anyone notice that when a player gets a TD, Haley is there to congratulate them? I like that. Most other coaches don't do that.

Thats because the Chiefs don't score much.

mlyonsd
12-26-2010, 06:17 PM
This might sound corny but I stood for the entire 4 quarters of Monday Nights game.

It almost seemed like the cleansing of Arrowhead. We're a long way away but I think at least the stink is off the team.

Nailed it.:p

TheGuardian
12-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Everyone has had the Chargers above us in their power rankings going into this weekend.

Fuck the Chargers. I hate that fucking overrated team now. Full of talent my ass.