PDA

View Full Version : Football Bird's Eye View of the AFCW through 2 weeks...

Mile High Mania
09-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Ok, we all know the standings with KC at 2-0 and the rest at 1-1. Overall, it's somewhat on pace with what most expected. Granted - nobody really thought KC would be 2-0 and it's thanks to their defense. Here are some quick hit thoughts that I have on the division.

Chiefs - (2-0)
Next 4: 49ers / bye / @ Colts / @ Texans / Jags

The Chiefs found a way to win at Cleveland - conferencel road wins are critical and divisional home wins are required if you're going to make noise at the end of the season, and right now KC has both. But, that offense and the inability to establish a true and consistent rushing attack will kill the Chiefs if they don't fix it. Cassel has been horrific and he'll only improve if they achieve consistency in the ground game. KC has two top RBs... the problem is that they are trying to date both when they should commit to one of them as 'the guy' and work the other win throughout the game.

The Chiefs have scored 4 TDs in two games and only two of those were by the offense. Obviously that has to improve and it could with San Fran, but over the bye week, KC is going to have some serious soul searching as they stare at back to back road games against the Colts and Texans - those are likely to be two very rude awakenings for Haley and crew.

Projection - Chiefs are 3-3 after this stretch of games

Chargers - (1-1)
Next 4: @ Seahawks / Cardinals / @ Raiders / @ Rams

The Chargers have by far the easiest stretch of games over the next month and should win each of them, moving to 5-1. The defense held the Jags in check, and previously did ok against the Chiefs. Offensively, they could miss Ryan if his injury keeps him out. Can the receivers and Gates step up? Against these 4 teams... very likely.

The Chargers historically start slow under Norv, but at .500 with these 4 games, that should and will change. SD will be on top of the division and in control very soon. Do they trade VJ? I think they will and we'll see how the other WRs respond. They'll always have a chance with Rivers.

Projection - Chargers are 5-1 after this stretch of games

Broncos - (1-1)
Next 4: Colts / @ Titans / @ Ravens / Jets

This is by far the toughest stretch of any division team for the next month. I'll be honest, I could see them winning at TN - possibly, but outside of that... I dunno. I fear an ugly stretch of games, but hope for the best.

Denver's passing game is doing very well, the ground game sucks for the most part and defensively, they're "ok" right now, not stellar. And, they'll need to be stellar in order to go .500 during this stretch. It's not impossible, but it's improbable to me based on what I've seen.

Projection - Broncos are 2-4 after this stretch of games

Raiders - (1-1)
Next 4: @ Cardinals / Texans / Chargers / @49ers

The Raiders slugged it out to narrowly beat the Rams... McFadden is the only real bright spot for this team right now and I could see them losing all 4 of these games. The Rams are worse than all of them and OAK barely beat them at home in front of all 30 fans. :D So, can they win at AZ or San Fran? I dunno, but I don't see them winning at home vs Houston and San Diego.

Enjoy .500 while you can Raiders fans... and yes, I'm doing the same thing.

Projection - Raiders are 2-4 after this stretch of games

Fritz88
09-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Donks will be 3-3.

Mile High Mania
09-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Donks will be 3-3.

I know what you're doing... the realist in me says they go 0-4 down this stretch, but we'll see.

ChiTown
09-20-2010, 08:02 AM
I actually think the Chiefs will go 2-2 in that stretch. The 9'ers and Jags at Home should be a win.

InChiefsHeaven
09-20-2010, 08:04 AM
I think the Chiefs bounce back after 2 losses to the Jags and finally beat that team. It's at home...Chiefs 4-2 after that stretch.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Chiefs will likely be 3-3.

Broncos, will likely be 2-4.

Chargers will likely be 4-2.

Raiders will likely be 1-5.

The Chiefs defense is playing well. The special teams are very good. They should beat the 9ers and J'Ville, but I won't be surprised to see them drop one of those games.

The Broncos could easily go 0-4 through this stretch. I just think they will snag a game in there somewhere.

I think the Chargers lose to Seattle. Seattle will be at home and got killed by the Broncos. The Chargers don't have the Broncos pass defense AND Matthews is hurt. So, I think they lose this next game. After that, I think they get on a roll.

I don't know that the Raiders can win any of their next four. They struggled with the Rams at home.

notorious
09-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Cassel has been horrific and he'll only improve if they achieve consistency in the ground game.

I disagree.

Cassel is horrible, and when the ground game is hitting on all cylinders he is still horrible.

He will not improve because of the running game.

jidar
09-20-2010, 08:25 AM
I disagree.

Cassel is horrible, and when the ground game is hitting on all cylinders he is still horrible.

This

Hootie
09-20-2010, 08:29 AM
yeah but I did like what the coaching staff was trying to do....

everyone is going to gameplan around stopping our run...for sure

and we came out passing

can't fault Haley/Weis

they are trying

now Cassel...ugh!

chiefsnorth
09-20-2010, 08:29 AM
The Chiefs schedule is a joke and looking easier all the time. But when the defensive/special teams scoring stops we are gonna be in big trouble.

notorious
09-20-2010, 08:30 AM
The Chiefs schedule is a joke and looking easier all the time. But when the defensive/special teams scoring stops we are gonna be in big trouble.

Blowout time.

Mile High Mania
09-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Enh, I dunno about that... KC has 2 crazy tough road games in that stretch and really, while they're 2-0, they could lay an egg easily against the 49ers and/or Jags.

notorious
09-20-2010, 08:47 AM
they could lay an egg easily against the 49ers and/or Jags.

We aren't that good yet.

Instead of saying,"They could lay an egg", you can just say,"They could play like they normally do".

We have not earned that respect yet.

Mile High Mania
09-20-2010, 09:01 AM
We aren't that good yet.

Instead of saying,"They could lay an egg", you can just say,"They could play like they normally do".

We have not earned that respect yet.

I was thinking more about the defense with that comment... they're the reason KC is 2-0. If they let a team break 20 points, you're in trouble.

Ugly Duck
09-20-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't know that the Raiders can win any of their next four. They struggled with the Rams at home.

Oakland struggled in the 1st half, but the defense came alive in the 2nd. Allowed only 52 yards the entire second half & moved the ball (337 yards) with Gradkowski. Raiders will lose 'em all if they play like they did in the 1st half, but will probably be 3-3 (beating Arizona & SF) if they continue playing like they did the last two quarters.

Mile High Mania
09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Oakland struggled in the 1st half, but the defense came alive in the 2nd. Allowed only 52 yards the entire second half & moved the ball with Gradkowski. Raiders will lose 'em all if they play like they did in the 1st half, but will probably be 3-3 (beating Arizona & SF) if they continue playing like they did the last two quarters.

Yeah, but you're talking about the success they had at home vs the Rams... you don't play a team during this stretch as bad as the Rams.

thecoffeeguy
09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
I know the Chargers will possibly be without Matthews for a week or two, but I am not sure if that really matters.

I was watching parts of the game yesterday, and they have that FB/RB guy, Tolbert, who goes 5'8' 250 pounds and he was just a big freaking bruiser out there. Broke tackles, ran over guys, through guys...I was like, woow. I think he rushed for 100 yards? Dont quote me. Anyway, not sure if the Chargers offense misses a beat.

Cassel, Cassel, Cassel....sigh. I really cant say more here. :cuss:

Ugly Duck
09-20-2010, 09:21 AM
(Chargers) have that FB/RB guy, Tolbert, who goes 5'8' 250 pounds and he was just a big freaking bruiser out there. Broke tackles, ran over guys, through guys...I was like, woow. I think he rushed for 100 yards?

Dude had 82 yards with a 5.1 average. Not too shabby...

Yeah, but you're talking about the success they had at home vs the Rams... you don't play a team during this stretch as bad as the Rams.

I hear you... Raiders probably won't break 400 yards against SF & the Cards like they did against the Rams...nor will they only give up 210. But those games are winnable.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-20-2010, 09:21 AM
I disagree.

This x 2

boogblaster
09-20-2010, 09:31 AM
hopefully 4-2 ..

Frazod
09-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Cassel's agent should be in fucking prison. What's the normal sentence for stealing $63 million?

Mile High Mania
09-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Cassel's agent should be in ****ing prison. What's the normal sentence for stealing $63 million?

Well, Pioli knew what he was buying right...

beer bacon
09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Chiefs will be 4-2. I don't see why Jacksonville should be chalked as a loss.

Dave Lane
09-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I think the Chiefs will be 4-2 and the donkeys 2-4 at this point I think Chiefs beat SF at home w rabid crowd and win either Texas which I think is beatable or the Jags.

Frazod
09-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Sure would be nice if we could steal one of those upcoming road games at Houston and Indy. Perhaps we should sent everybody on both teams a card featuring Cassel's smiling face and dismal stats. That might lull them into a false sense of security (okay, it's not false, but you know what I mean). Or maybe they'll die laughing. The more likely outcome.

Fuck, we're doomed. :doh!:

Gadzooks
09-20-2010, 09:47 AM
I know the Chargers will possibly be without Matthews for a week or two, but I am not sure if that really matters.

I was watching parts of the game yesterday, and they have that FB/RB guy, Tolbert, who goes 5'8' 250 pounds and he was just a big freaking bruiser out there. Broke tackles, ran over guys, through guys...I was like, woow. I think he rushed for 100 yards? Dont quote me. Anyway, not sure if the Chargers offense misses a beat.

Cassel, Cassel, Cassel....sigh. I really cant say more here. :cuss:

As far as I know, Mathews suffered a slight sprain and he could play next week.
Tolbert’s a beast and should’ve spelled LT last year while he was shitting the bed. He does tend to get dinged up a lot though.
(He reminds me of Natrone Means and Marion Butts because of his bowling ball physique).

thecoffeeguy
09-20-2010, 09:56 AM
As far as I know, Mathews suffered a slight sprain and he could play next week.
Tolbert’s a beast and should’ve spelled LT last year while he was shitting the bed. He does tend to get dinged up a lot though.
(He reminds me of Natrone Means and Marion Butts because of his bowling ball physique).

Ahh, ok.
Still, Tolbert is a freaking load. He just bowled over people. Not the fastest, but a banger who moves the pile. Impressive.

I did not know that he was a UDFA as well.

Buehler445
09-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Wait. What? The ground game is the problem? LOL WUT
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Arrowhead
09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Holy Shit, the donks next 4 games are brutal, i honestly cant see them winning any of them.

tyton75
09-20-2010, 10:15 AM
1-3 or 0-4 for us on the next 4... I just don't see us getting over on those teams playing like this

HemiEd
09-20-2010, 10:49 AM
KC will be on top of the division and in control very soon.

Well gee, I thought they already were. :D

Mile High Mania
09-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Well gee, I thought they already were. :D

Ha - nice typo catch, I fixed it.

keg in kc
09-20-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm still not sure I have a good read on the division (or league) yet. There will be a couple of surprises, like maybe Oakland upsetting SD.

I hope we can win one of the next 3. We really shouldn't drop the SF home game, but every week is going to be a nail biter until the offense wakes up, and we can't count on a return TD as the difference in the game every week.

I don't know what to think about Denver.

MMXcalibur
09-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Chargers 5-1
Chiefs 4-2
Raiders 2-4
Broncos 1-5

The Donks schedule is brutal over the next four weeks while the Chargers enjoy cupcake after cupcake.

Frazod
09-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Chargers 5-1
Chiefs 4-2
Raiders 2-4
Broncos 1-5

The Donks schedule is brutal over the next four weeks while the Chargers enjoy cupcake after cupcake.

Well, they choked on their first cupcake, didn't they?

Mile High Mania
09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, they choked on their first cupcake, didn't they?

Yeah, but it was a divisional road game... and at Arrowhead. KC could be the worst team in history and divisional games there will be hard wins.

Saul Good
09-20-2010, 12:29 PM
1-3 or 0-4 for us on the next 4... I just don't see us getting over on those teams playing like this

People give other teams too much credit. Football is an ugly game, and the NFL is an ugly league. There are only a handful of teams who outshine the pack. 25 teams have very serious issues. There is no reason to think that SF or Jax are better than KC. The Chiefs should be home favorites in both.

CupidStunt
09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Chiefs will wax the Jags. Wake up and look around the league. The key game is SF. Win that and they're a solid 4-2. Lose and it's a more meh 3-3.

Broncos will be lucky to win a game. The Jets at home could be the only option if Sanchez shits the bed. CJ3 will drop 150 on them, while the Ravens and Colts are obvious and decisive losses.

Anyway, 4 games is random. Why not 5? KC faces Buffalo after Jacksonville, who they'll handle, and should be 5-2 or 4-3.

CupidStunt
09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Chiefs will wax the Jags. Wake up and look around the league. The key game is SF. Win that and they're a solid 4-2. Lose and it's a more meh 3-3.

Broncos will be lucky to win a game. The Jets at home could be the only option if Sanchez shits the bed. CJ3 will drop 150 on them, while the Ravens and Colts are obvious and decisive losses.

Anyway, 4 games is random. Why not 5? KC faces Buffalo after Jacksonville, who they'll handle, and should be 5-2 or 4-3.

Mile High Mania
09-20-2010, 12:51 PM

I picked 4 games for no particular reason, other than it's just an easy number to use to break down a schedule. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to showcase Oakland in that 5th game...

Mile High Mania
09-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Well, looks like I'm still on track with Denver and Oakland projections... well, overall, they're still ok. SD could have some serious issues, no reason they should have lost that game. And, KC ... I pegged that last one as a loss, and while I'm still holding on to the notion that KC loses at Indy and HOU... 4-2 would still be stellar.

KC should be holding on to the division lead through Halloween at a minimum... time for the other AFCW teams to lick their wounds and step it up.

beer bacon
09-27-2010, 07:36 AM
I think Houston could look very mortal by the time KC plays them. We should be the clear underdog against the Colts, but I am not counting this team out.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Well, looks like I'm still on track with Denver and Oakland projections... well, overall, they're still ok. SD could have some serious issues, no reason they should have lost that game. And, KC ... I pegged that last one as a loss, and while I'm still holding on to the notion that KC loses at Indy and HOU... 4-2 would still be stellar.

KC should be holding on to the division lead through Halloween at a minimum... time for the other AFCW teams to lick their wounds and step it up.

Assuming the next two games are losses, which is not a horrible assumption, my biggest concern is that the Chiefs confidence will be shaken. I hope they can figure out a way to snag one of those two. I think they have a shot at either of them, but they are on the road.

The Chiefs get two weeks to game plan for the Colts..... not a bad thing.

ChiTown
09-27-2010, 07:39 AM

I think KC goes 2-1 (loss to the Colts). 5-1

Charger sweep. 4-2

Donks go 1-2 (beat NYJ). 2-4

Faiders get blanked - 1-5

luv
09-27-2010, 07:45 AM
In-conference records:

KC - 1-0
SD - 0-1
Denver - 0-0
Oakland - 0-0

Frazod
09-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah, but it was a divisional road game... and at Arrowhead. KC could be the worst team in history and divisional games there will be hard wins.

So, I guess they choked on their second cupcake because... it was a former division rival?

As for Denver, wounds aren't the only thing you'll be licking this season. :D

Mile High Mania
09-27-2010, 09:08 AM
So, I guess they choked on their second cupcake because... it was a former division rival?

As for Denver, wounds aren't the only thing you'll be licking this season. :D

Ha! We'll see how it all shakes out... Denver looked good a year ago as well, things can change quickly. I've been saying for a while that SD was the best of a poor division and they weren't as great as many claimed... the fact that VJ is MIA and the ground game is lacking, those are two big areas hurting SD right now.

They can still rattle off a number of wins in the next month, we'll see.

MMXcalibur
09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I'll admit that the Broncos passing game looks pretty good, but that upcoming schedule of the Titans, Ravens and Jets is going to seriously impede the Broncos chances.

Mile High Mania
09-27-2010, 09:28 AM
I'll admit that the Broncos passing game looks pretty good, but that upcoming schedule of the Titans, Ravens and Jets is going to seriously impede the Broncos chances.

Probably, but it's not impossible... hell, who knew the Browns would give the Ravens a solid contest and that was at BALT.

I like Denver's chances @ TN, they have a huge task with CJ/Ringer and they need to contain Vince, but I don't think it's unrealistic to say they can win it. Same for the Jets in Denver... they're hot right now, but again, I like Denver's chances.

I would be happy with a 1-2 record during those 3 games.

If Denver can make it through and be 2-4, then I'll be ok... as the next month of games would be Raiders (in Den), 49ers (in London), Chiefs (in Denver, Chargers (in SD).

I could see Denver going 3-1 during this stretch and if so, 5-5 would be fine with me and I think that's completely realistic at this point.

The final six - Rams (in Den), @ KC, @ AZ, @ Oak, Hou (in Denver), SD (in Denver). Denver could easily be 3-3, or 4-2 if they can beat Hou or SD in Denver.

So, while 1-2 sucks and 2-4 seems realistically dreadful, they could win 8 or 9 games which is better than I expected.

The bolds are the games that I think Denver can win... I am not bolding any of the next 3 games, for obvious reasons, we'll see what happens.

Denver's passing game has been very consistent and performing well... they're killing themselves by not being able to rush (injuries, etc) and failing to score in the redzone. Defensively, they're about average right now, definitely need to pick it up when covering TEs and those short passes over the middle - especially on 3rd down.

It's interesting to see that Denver's WRs league the league in receiving... not sure on the specific stat, but they're holding their own without the Beast.