PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs’ passing game is lacking

Tribal Warfare
09-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Chiefs’ passing game is lacking (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/20/2238560/chiefs-passing-game-is-lacking.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Chris Chambers isn’t the first wide receiver to talk about the difficulty of playing for Todd Haley, who formerly coached the position.

Chambers lost a jump ball for a Matt Cassel pass along the sideline in Sunday’s 16-14 win over the Browns in Cleveland to cornerback Sheldon Brown, who made the interception.

Chambers heard about his failure when he arrived back on the Chiefs bench.

“Todd got after me a little bit because I should have knocked the ball down,” Chambers said. “He told me it was my fault for not giving a better effort to do that.

“It’s tough because he has coached receivers, and the first thing he looks at is the receivers, how we block, how we run routes, how we get open. We have our own receivers coach with Richie (Anderson) and (offensive coordinator Charlie Weis) coached receivers back in the day, so it was a little tough on us.

“But it’s good in the end because we are learning and we are getting better.”

Perhaps, but not quickly enough to rescue the Chiefs faltering passing game. The Chiefs might be 2-0 for the first time in five years, but not because of anything they’ve achieved in the passing game.

The Chiefs have just one pass play of more than 20 yards and much of the attention has been focused on Cassel, who has an anemic passer rating of 55.8 and is completing just 52 percent of his passes.

But all too frequently Cassel hasn’t had anyone open to throw to.

“Being a former receiver coach and that being an area that I always find a way to pay attention to a little bit, I’m probably never going to be happy in that area,” Haley said. “I’m going to set the bar high.

“That will never be good enough. If you win on nine out of 10 routes, I’m going to say, ‘Win on 10.’ I’m not going to accept anything else.”

Chiefs receivers have improved in some areas. They are mostly catching the ball when it does find its way.

The Chiefs averaged more than three dropped passes per game last year but have just two drops so far this season.

They also found a way to make some things work on some crucial third-down plays in Cleveland. Tony Moeaki and Dwayne Bowe caught third down passes to extend a field goal drive early in the third quarter, and Moeaki came up with another big third-down catch that led to the go-ahead field goal in the fourth quarter.

Receivers are also having a hand in the Chiefs’ rushing success. Kansas City is fifth in the league in rushing yardage.

“Another component of being a good receiver in the league in my opinion is blocking,” Haley said. “I will speak individually about Dwayne Bowe in that area. That’s something he’s made such a big jump in, and that’s a real good sign. Last week he had a couple of real big blocks, one on a long run and (Sunday) he continued that, though it didn’t necessarily lead to big plays.”

The passing game is another story. The one catch of 20-plus yards went to a running back, Jamaal Charles. A tight end, Moeaki, is the leading receiver with eight catches, three more than Bowe.

Chambers caught 36 passes and scored four touchdowns in nine games for the Chiefs last year and averaged almost 17 yards per catch. This season he has four receptions, no touchdowns and an average of less than 12 yards.

“We’ve got to get better,” Chambers said. “We’ve got to be perfect on our routes and when the ball comes our way we’ve got to catch the ball. We’ve got to do everything we can to help our quarterback have confidence in us so he knows he can go to us and not worry about anything but the ball being caught.

“We’ve got to continue to work, continue to learn . . . We know the things we need to work on. We’re very critical of the mistakes we’ve made. It’s not all on the quarterback or the line or the receivers. We want to get separation (from defenders) and make plays for our quarterback.”

Haley hasn’t publicly loaded any of the blame for the state of the passing game on Cassel, though that could be a measure to relieve the pressure on the quarterback.

“The passing game is always an 11-man operation,” Haley said. “I would never put ... it all on receivers, tight ends, backs, quarterbacks or the line. There are so many factors that are critical, everybody doing the right thing and understanding what to do.”

@ Go to KansasCity.com for video of Todd Haley discussing Sunday’s win over the Browns and updates in the Red Zone blog.

WHY IT’S CASSEL ■■
•He forces throws to covered receivers, such as Dwayne Bowe.

•He’s completed just 52 percent of his passes.

WHY IT’S THE RECEIVERS ii
•They could do a better job of knocking down passes that end up being intercepted.

•Though they have improved in this area from last season, Chiefs receivers are still dropping passes.

DaFace
09-20-2010, 10:54 PM
That's the most hilariously obvious headline ever created.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
I swear the KCStar is a college newspaper. Geez.

Dante84
09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
"Humans Breathe Oxygen, Says Scientist"

Tribal Warfare
09-20-2010, 10:57 PM
The holy prince Cassel can do no wrong folks.

RealSNR
09-20-2010, 10:57 PM
This article made me remember something that always made me go WTF.

Why is a former goddamn NFL fullback our WR coach? :spock:

09-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Christ, I am so sick of hearing its the receivers fault.

BossChief
09-20-2010, 11:02 PM
cassel > teicher > pawnmower

:facepalm:

RealSNR
09-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Christ, I am so sick of hearing its the receivers fault.It IS partly their fault. Even Len Dawson was talking about the lack of separation during the game.

He was ALSO, however, quick to point out all the open downfield receivers on several plays where Cassel either checked down or panicked and did something stupid

keg in kc
09-20-2010, 11:11 PM
That's the most hilariously obvious headline ever created.Yeah, their sports editor needs to be shitcanned, whoever it is.

Goldmember
09-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Christ, I am so sick of hearing its the receivers fault.

Not defending Cassel but look around the NFL and you see receivers making tremendous, leaping, diving catches. Chiefs receivers drop way too many, or they did last year. Not as much this year but then the passing attempts are way down too :D

MMXcalibur
09-20-2010, 11:16 PM
"Chiefs need more points than Niners to win next game."

CaliforniaChief
09-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah, their sports editor needs to be shitcanned, whoever it is.

He might have lipstick marks with Teicher's DNA on his collar.

Rausch
09-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Chiefs’ passing game is lacking (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/20/2238560/chiefs-passing-game-is-lacking.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Chris Chambers isn’t the first wide receiver to talk about the difficulty of playing for Todd Haley, who formerly coached the position.

Chambers lost a jump ball for a Matt Cassel pass along the sideline in Sunday’s 16-14 win over the Browns in Cleveland to cornerback Sheldon Brown, who made the interception.

Chambers heard about his failure when he arrived back on the Chiefs bench.

“Todd got after me a little bit because I should have knocked the ball down,” Chambers said. “He told me it was my fault for not giving a better effort to do that.

“It’s tough because he has coached receivers, and the first thing he looks at is the receivers, how we block, how we run routes, how we get open. We have our own receivers coach with Richie (Anderson) and (offensive coordinator Charlie Weis) coached receivers back in the day, so it was a little tough on us.

“But it’s good in the end because we are learning and we are getting better.”

As much as I love to bash Haley he's right.

Chambers gave up on the play once he couldn't make the catch.

Dude, you are a marginal player on a below average team. BREAK THAT SHIT UP. Depending on the field position an OPI call is most likely better than a turnover.

Chiefs receivers have improved in some areas. They are mostly catching the ball when it does find its way.

Uh huh...

They also found a way to make some things work on some crucial third-down plays in Cleveland. Tony Moeaki and Dwayne Bowe caught third down passes to extend a field goal drive early in the third quarter, and Moeaki came up with another big third-down catch that led to the go-ahead field goal in the fourth quarter.

THAT IS YOUR JOB.

Bowe and Moeaki are (supposed to be) possession receivers/TE that the QB can depend on for gar-on-teed yards. Someone to either be able to consistently beat under coverage (Moeaki) or fight for the ball and wrestle down a completion (Bowe.)

“Another component of being a good receiver in the league in my opinion is blocking,” Haley said. “I will speak individually about Dwayne Bowe in that area. That’s something he’s made such a big jump in, and that’s a real good sign. Last week he had a couple of real big blocks, one on a long run and (Sunday) he continued that, though it didn’t necessarily lead to big plays.”

It's all a part of the game. Nice to see Bowe is still contributing in SOME way.

The passing game is another story. The one catch of 20-plus yards went to a running back, Jamaal Charles. A tight end, Moeaki, is the leading receiver with eight catches, three more than Bowe.

Ok, so...........just random thoughts here.......who should we try and get the ball to?

If we throw to the guy who FUCKING CATCHES the ball and the guy who turns ANY CATCH INTO POSITIVE YARDAGE......mayhap, just mayhap, them's the fellers that should be touching the rock the most.

Just me.

Just how I feel about that.

Haley hasn’t publicly loaded any of the blame for the state of the passing game on Cassel, though that could be a measure to relieve the pressure on the quarterback.

If you're going to be a bloodthirsty NAZI forcing all to bend to your will and produce don't say.......well.........other than THAT guy.

Guess what: Parcells didn't fucking coddle his QB's.

In fact, from the way Simms tells it playing for Parcells was a weekly mindfuck and constant reminder how he was underachieving.

If that's the guy you have a big respect and mean-on for then you go and kick Casshole in teh betwix and let him know that one more perfomance like that last two means he won't be playing.

He won't be fucking second string.

He'll be carrying the fucking laundry and watching from the bench as (insert scrub QB on roster) runs with his team...

munkey
09-20-2010, 11:25 PM
“We’ve got to get better,” Chambers said. “We’ve got to be perfect on our routes and when the ball comes our way we’ve got to catch the ball. We’ve got to do everything we can to help our quarterback have confidence in us so he knows he can go to us and not worry about anything but the ball being caught.

So....The recievers are now taking the blame for Cassel's QB play...how pathetic...Oh...WAIT...The recievers must have no one within 10 yards in order to expect a pass they're way...:banghead: I forget..:banhead:

Rausch
09-20-2010, 11:29 PM
So....The recievers are now taking the blame for Cassel's QB play...how pathetic...Oh...WAIT...The recievers must have no one within 10 yards in order to expect a pass they're way...:banghead: I forget..:banhead:

No, Haley is forcing them to be less than pathetic.

Clearly you can sense that someone is either going to start being productive or go back to asking for work...

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Ugh:

"TORNADOES LOVE TRAILER PARKS"!!!!11111

munkey
09-20-2010, 11:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k9r3bM1eNQ

SenselessChiefsFan
09-20-2010, 11:47 PM
It IS partly their fault. Even Len Dawson was talking about the lack of separation during the game.

He was ALSO, however, quick to point out all the open downfield receivers on several plays where Cassel either checked down or panicked and did something stupid

It always catches Cassel by surprise when they get open. He has to double take to make sure they are wearing the right jersey.

Rausch
09-20-2010, 11:48 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbLB21If2YA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbLB21If2YA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BossChief
09-20-2010, 11:50 PM
BossChief: Teichers writing game is lacking

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2010, 11:51 PM
It always catches Cassel by surprise when they get open. He has to double take to make sure they are wearing the right jersey.

Yeah, that's it.

:rolleyes:

johnny961
09-20-2010, 11:53 PM
This article is sickening. Teicher defending our QB. Blaming most of it on receivers. Never mind Cassel's decision making, or lack of, and the inaccuracy. Alot of Cassel's passes were off mark or underthrown, and even the ones he did complete looked to me like a good share of them weren't thrown in a good spot for the receivers. I mean if these guys want to be objective, fine. But in all fairness to the receivers, Cassel isn't exactly making life easy on them, either.

munkey
09-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Yeah, that's it.

Yes...he gets it on this thread :)

SenselessChiefsFan
09-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah, that's it.

It was a joke.

CoMoChief
09-21-2010, 01:44 AM
WHY IT’S THE RECEIVERS ii
•They could do a better job of knocking down passes that end up being intercepted.

•Though they have improved in this area from last season, Chiefs receivers are still dropping passes.

How about: The ball shouldn't be in a position to where it can be intercepted. The QB throws the damn ball, not the WR's. Granted the WR's the last defense if a shitty ball is actually thrown and Chambers should have made a better attempt to knock Cassel's shitty horribly underthrown ball down. BUT Chambers wasn't even close to being open and the ball was horribly thrown anyways.

That's like a MLB pitcher throwing a horribly wild pitch over the catchers head with a man on 3rd, then the catcher having to run/chase after it, then the pitcher getting pissed at him for letting the runner score on a wild pitch. Same thing IMO.

As far as the dropped passes, every team in the league are going to drop passes. We are far better this season in that area. No longer can Cassel blame his shitty completion % on the WR's like a lot of people did last season.

And by the way, Chan Gailey has benched Bills QB Trent Edwards (who I'd much rather have than Cassel) who has put up the following stats:

29/52 (55.8%) 241 yds 1TD 2 INT's

Cassel:
26/50 (52%) 244 yds 1TD 2 INT's

I just wish Haley/Pioli would do the same. I have a feeling that SF's defense is going to absolutely destroy Cassel's confidence (any that he should have left). He's going to shit the bed in Arrowhead, mark my words.

RealSNR
09-21-2010, 02:02 AM
I just wish Haley/Pioli would do the same. I have a feeling that SF's defense is going to absolutely destroy Cassel's confidence (any that he should have left). He's going to shit the bed in Arrowhead, mark my words.Sweet! Cassel's going to actually have a good game!

Thanks CoMo!

CoMoChief
09-21-2010, 02:34 AM
Sweet! Cassel's going to actually have a good game!

Thanks CoMo!

no prob, get back to me after the game and let know how well Cassel played.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-21-2010, 03:29 AM
That ball was thrown way too far inside.

PhillyChiefFan
09-21-2010, 05:52 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2hd8gev.jpg

siberian khatru
09-21-2010, 05:59 AM
:ZZZ:

Red Dawg
09-21-2010, 07:10 AM
I love this line " He forces his throws to covered recievers". Of course he does. Our recieivers don't have the necessary skills to get open. Such as speed!

SenselessChiefsFan
09-21-2010, 07:19 AM
How about: The ball shouldn't be in a position to where it can be intercepted. The QB throws the damn ball, not the WR's. Granted the WR's the last defense if a shitty ball is actually thrown and Chambers should have made a better attempt to knock Cassel's shitty horribly underthrown ball down. BUT Chambers wasn't even close to being open and the ball was horribly thrown anyways.

That's like a MLB pitcher throwing a horribly wild pitch over the catchers head with a man on 3rd, then the catcher having to run/chase after it, then the pitcher getting pissed at him for letting the runner score on a wild pitch. Same thing IMO.

As far as the dropped passes, every team in the league are going to drop passes. We are far better this season in that area. No longer can Cassel blame his shitty completion % on the WR's like a lot of people did last season.

And by the way, Chan Gailey has benched Bills QB Trent Edwards (who I'd much rather have than Cassel) who has put up the following stats:

Cassel:

I just wish Haley/Pioli would do the same. I have a feeling that SF's defense is going to absolutely destroy Cassel's confidence (any that he should have left). He's going to shit the bed in Arrowhead, mark my words.

A couple things here.

#1) The Chiefs are 2-0, and not 0-2.

#2) The QB has to trust his WR's that if it is Man coverage the worst thing that will happen is an incompletion. A QB can't do well without taking chances. The WR's are constantly pleading to just throw the ball up and let them make a play. They need NOT give up on the play. Chambers is to blame in that situation.

#3) I am looking forward to the 49er game. Let's see how Cassel does. Clearly, the Chiefs will be content to play a low scoring game, but they will still need to attack the secondary. I expect McCluster to have a big day.

beach tribe
09-21-2010, 07:42 AM
He might have lipstick marks with Teicher's DNA on his FLY.

Fixed

Red Beans
09-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Water is wet. The sky is blue. Tiecher is a douche. The passing game sucks. Wow, what controversial headline...

threebag
09-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Shit.

Zaiko
09-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Obvious headline much lol..

Anyways, it's true. Cassell looks off throwing. He just doesn't zip his passes in there often enough unless he sees they're WIDE OPEN. If they aren't, he just doesn't throw with an acceptable level of confidence.

I don't think it's that he can't make the plays, he just isn't right now.. and Chambers needs to fight for the ball a little more when Cassell goes deep.

Too often, it's like he's waiting for his WRs to get very open, when it's obvious they aren't/can't to whatever he wants

KCJohnny
09-21-2010, 08:08 AM

Cassel:

If Chan hadn't been fired at the last minute in '09, Cassel could have improved considerably. Look at what Chan squeezed out of Thigpen. Thigpen's numbers with a 4-12 team are equal to what Cassel's were with the most prolific offense in NFL history (2008 season). And Pioli's a genius? The only guy who seems to know what he's doing so far this year is Romeo Crennel.

LaChapelle
09-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Croyle would be worse
he would try and force the ball into covered receivers not throwing it away
and he throws the ball so hard it would be tipped up instead of dropped