PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber

jspchief
09-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Glenn Dorsey, Derrick Johnson, Brandon Flowers

Ok, they aren't the same caliber of player (yet?). But I heard Holthus mention this today. The way these three are playing so far this year, it has to make you think we have what could be a very good core of a good defense. Nice thought.

FWIW, I think DJ and Flowers are playing at a pro bowl level, and if Dorsey keeps at it he could be in the discussion.

Mecca
09-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Considering that was a 4-3 Tampa 2 why would he even make that comparison?

Deberg_1990
09-23-2010, 08:13 PM
and Cassel = Trent Dilfer?

Coach
09-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Considering that was a 4-3 Tampa 2 why would he even make that comparison?

Yeah, not really a good comparsion.

Sometimes, I wonder WTF is Mitch smoking.

Hammock Parties
09-23-2010, 08:14 PM
and Cassel = Trent Dilfer?

Charles is Warrick Dunn!

Bowe is Keyshawn Johnson!

DeezNutz
09-23-2010, 08:14 PM
I loath Mitch Holthus. Completely unlistenable outside of a Chiefs broadcast.

Those three players could be huge, though.

petegz28
09-23-2010, 08:17 PM
DJ is finally playing the way we though he could. I think having a DC in Romeo has helped him tremendously. We have to keep in mind that this is the first time DJ has had a DC that actually knows WTF he was doing. He maybe had a chance under Gunther had Herm not insisted on cover 2 all the fucking time.

Mecca
09-23-2010, 08:17 PM
We should talk about some of the hilarious things Mitch Holthus has said over the years...I'll start.

Talking about using the Chiefs top 5 pick...on Limas Sweed because that would really set the offense off.

Demonpenz
09-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Donnie Edwards is faster and smarter and is going to win us some ball games this year (second tour of duty with the chiefs)

Saul Good
09-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I loath Mitch Holthus. Completely unlistenable outside of a Chiefs broadcast.

Those three players could be huge, though.

Have you heard his little radio show? It is the worst thing I've ever heard. I don't even like listening to him call games now because he's so annoying. When LJ left, I was glad that I never had to hear Mitch call him the centaur again. Now, it's "they put the hammer down".

keg in kc
09-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Considering that was a 4-3 Tampa 2 why would he even make that comparison?Probably for the same reason people will talk about having the "big 3" on offense, regardless of their system.

Deberg_1990
09-23-2010, 08:23 PM
We should talk about some of the hilarious things Mitch Holthus has said over the years...I'll start.

Talking about using the Chiefs top 5 pick...on Limas Sweed because that would really set the offense off.

Holtus works for the Chiefs. His job is to promote the team with lots of hypebole.

Mecca
09-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Probably for the same reason people will talk about having the "big 3" on offense, regardless of their system.

I think that is a little more reasonable than comparing a push rushing DT to a 3-4 end, a roaming Tampa 2 cover backer to an inside 3-4 backer and the CB comparison you can make that one.

Mecca
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Holtus works for the Chiefs. His job is to promotewith lots of hypebole.

I get that but you can do it without sounding completely stupid.

Mr. Laz
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Holthus is so full of crap, he really should just stick to calling the games instead of trying to be some kind of football analyst.

me thinks he has delusions of ESPN or something.

DeezNutz
09-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Have you heard his little radio show? It is the worst thing I've ever heard. I don't even like listening to him call games now because he's so annoying. When LJ left, I was glad that I never had to hear Mitch call him the centaur again. Now, it's "they put the hammer down".

Thankfully, no. He recently made some delusional comments about Rivers, though, which caused him to lose any semblance of credibility that he might otherwise have. Something to the effect of Rivers being one of the worst QBs in the league.

Mecca
09-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Thankfully, no. He recently made some delusional comments about Rivers, though, which caused him to lose any semblance of credibility that he might otherwise have. Something to the effect of Rivers being one of the worst QBs in the league.

What!?!

The week we play Houston he'll talk about that scrub Andre Johnson.

DeezNutz
09-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Tangential alert:

Great throw by Harris in the Miami game.

penguinz
09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Have you heard his little radio show? It is the worst thing I've ever heard. I don't even like listening to him call games now because he's so annoying. When LJ left, I was glad that I never had to hear Mitch call him the centaur again. Now, it's "they put the hammer down".'centaur' was better than 'the human joystick'

jspchief
09-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Considering that was a 4-3 Tampa 2 why would he even make that comparison?I don't think the comparison was about how they played their respective positions. It was about a team that had solid young players at all 3 levels of the defense come together around the same time to become the core of a what was an era of great defense for the team.

Obviously it's an optimistic comparison, but the point stands. We have 3 guys who look like they may be coming into something very good. Dorsey's growth is actually on schedule based on the opinions of many experts on the transition of DTs to the NFL. Flowers continues to look better. The only one I'm hesitant to get overly excited about is DJ, because I need to see him play like this for longer before I'm convinced.

Deberg_1990
09-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Something to the effect of Rivers being one of the worst QBs in the league.

:facepalm:

Mecca
09-23-2010, 08:34 PM
I don't think the comparison was about how they played their respective positions. It was about a team that had solid young players at all 3 levels of the defense come together around the same time to become the core of a what was an era of great defense for the team.

Obviously it's an optimistic comparison, but the point stands. We have 3 guys who look like they may be coming into something very good. Dorsey's growth is actually on schedule based on the opinions of many experts on the transition of DTs to the NFL. Flowers continues to look better. The only one I'm hesitant to get overly excited about is DJ, because I need to see him play like this for longer before I'm convinced.

Would pretty much agree with everything you said there.

keg in kc
09-23-2010, 08:42 PM
I think that is a little more reasonable than comparing a push rushing DT to a 3-4 end, a roaming Tampa 2 cover backer to an inside 3-4 backer and the CB comparison you can make that one.It's a stretch on paper, but Crennel's doing things a bit differently. DJs all over the field and Dorsey's been upfield more than I've ever seen him. Oddly, I might say the Flowers/Barber comparison might be the weakest one, since Barber was purely a zone corner. In any case, I'd guess he was making the comparison in terms to the disruptions they've provided so far rather than their specific role in the scheme.

And I agree with everybody who's sick of the bizarre nicknames and hearing 'put the hammer' down.

Pioli Zombie
09-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Warrick Dunn didn't get enough carries.

88TG88
09-23-2010, 08:52 PM
:facepalm:

Well, he is only a B.

stevieray
09-23-2010, 08:57 PM
if they keep ascending. it's absolutely a valid comparison.

it would be awesome to have playmakers in all phases of the D.

you might not like mitch, but he does know football.

BigMeatballDave
09-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Something to the effect of Rivers being one of the worst QBs in the league.LMAO Did he seriously say that?

RedThat
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
While I think DJ, Dorsey, and Flowers are playing at a high level, in no way should he(Holtus) even be mentioning those players along the league of the big 3 in Tampa. I think he should be saying something along the lines of, "The defense is finally starting to get some pieces in place." Dorsey, DJ, Flowers, and Crennel represent some of the major pieces, however, the Chiefs still got a bit of a ways to go. I'd also like to add, players like Belcher, Carr, Berry, have also been solid pieces to the puzzle. Chiefs definately have good role players as well. Edwards, S. Smith, Arenas, Gilberry and Studebaker serve as excellent role players. I'll even throw Hali and Vrabel into that mix as well.

But if you want to get down to the nitty gritty of saying, "core" players, does this defense have that? Imo, they don't. The absence of "core" players is what will make this defensive unit incomplete. If you want to discuss about "core" players in a 3-4 defense, then don't set your eyes any further than the primary positions such as NT, and OLB(rushbacker). Those two positions are the most critical in a 3-4. Im sure many of you know that. And if neither a NT or rushbacker are present, you can't run the defense efficiently. Those are the positions we should all be focusing on. Hali is not the answer. Im sorry but he cannot get to the quarterback as effectively than the other premier passrushers I've seen in a good 3-4 defense. Ron Edwards may be playing well, and same can be said with Shaun Smith, but they're neither Ted Washington or Vince Wilfork. Defense is starting to come together, but Chiefs defense still lacks a foundation.

Dante84
09-23-2010, 09:11 PM
About 2 or 3 weeks ago on KK's show, Mitch was asked a Chiefs question, and answered:

"Hot tub time machine...... hot tub time machine" as if it were a clever comparison, or segway into further explanation, and we should have all gotten his joke.

KK took the bait after some awkward silence: "What do you mean?"

And Mitch sounded like his pants fell down: "Oh, its this movie, where they, uhhh, go back in time, and they, well, they go back in time and its knd of like a flashback...."

KK: "I haven't seen it, but I'm sure it was good..."

Mitch: "Yeah, I haven't seen it either... but I mean, it was, uhhh, a comedy film from this summer, and, they go back, and...."

KK, saving Mitch and changing the subject: "Yeah I haven't had a chance to go to a movie in a while. So, what do you think about next weeks game?"

Pioli Zombie
09-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Elmo got to fuck Katy Perry today I hear.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Jesus Christ. Those three are all Hall of Famers.

Mitch Holtus is a good play-by-play guy. He's also a complete fucking moron.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Mitch Holtus' other comparisons for our team

Matt Cassel: Tom Brady
Jamaal Charles: Barry Sanders
Thomas Jones: Emmitt Smith
Tim Castille: Ironhead Heyward
Branden Albert: Orlando Pace
Brian Waters: John Hannah
Casey Wiegmann: Dermonti Dawson
Ryan Lilja: Will Shields
Barry Richardson: Willie Anderson
Dwayne Bowe: Michael Irvin
Chris Chambers: Isaac Bruce
Dexter McCluster: Marshall Faulk
Tony Moeaki: Tony Gonzalez

Tyson Jackson: LC Greenwood
Shaun Smith: Joe Greene
Glenn Dorsey: Warren Sapp
Tamba Hali: Lawrence Taylor
DJ: Derrick Brooks
Belcher: Mike Singletary
Vrabel: Kevin Greene
Flowers: Ronde Barber
Berry:Troy Polamalu
Kendrick Lewis: Ronnie Lott
Brandon Carr: Champ Bailey
Javier Arenas: Deion Sanders

Ryan Succop: Adam Vinatieri
Dustin Colquitt: Ray Guy

Mr. Kotter
09-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Jamal needs more carries, and Cassel (to this point) sucks??? :shrug:

Just sayin.... :hmmm:

CHENZ A!
09-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Jamal needs more carries, and Cassel (to this point) sucks??? :shrug:

Just sayin.... :hmmm:

merry christmas, happy hanukah, nice to meet you, kiss my ass, kiss his ass, kiss your own ass.

whoaskew
09-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Glenn Dorsey, Derrick Johnson, Brandon Flowers

Ok, they aren't the same caliber of player (yet?). But I heard Holthus mention this today. The way these three are playing so far this year, it has to make you think we have what could be a very good core of a good defense. Nice thought.

FWIW, I think DJ and Flowers are playing at a pro bowl level, and if Dorsey keeps at it he could be in the discussion.

"They are who we thought they were!".....D. Green

I never understood that quote until now

Saul Good
09-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Probably for the same reason people will talk about having the "big 3" on offense, regardless of their system.

What offensive system in the NFL doesn't work best with stars at QB, RB, and WR?

DeezNutz
09-24-2010, 10:12 AM
What offensive system in the NFL doesn't work best with stars at QB, RB, and WR?

2-0. Quit bitching.