PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Tony Moeaki making impact at Chiefs tight end

Tribal Warfare
09-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Tony Moeaki making impact at Chiefs tight end (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/24/2248074/tony-moeaki-is-making-an-impact.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

To improve last year’s sluggish passing game, the Chiefs went to work on their ragged group of receivers. They re-signed Chris Chambers, planned on improvement from Dwayne Bowe, signed Jerheme Urban and drafted Dexter McCluster.

But when Matt Cassel needed a go-to receiver in this year’s first two games, he went to none of those players but to another more unlikely source. Rookie tight end Tony Moeaki has delivered the Chiefs’ only receiving touchdown this season, a 2-yard catch in the opener in San Diego, and had two key third-down catches that extended second-half scoring drives in last week’s win in Cleveland. Moeaki leads the Chiefs with eight receptions, three more than Bowe, their second-leading receiver. While there’s plenty of time for Bowe, Chambers and others to pass Moeaki, it seems clear that a year after trading Tony Gonzalez, tight end is again a receiving threat for the Chiefs.

“Sometimes the defense just dictates who the ball goes to,” Cassel said. “Last week, Tony got a lot of great looks and was able to get open on a lot of those coverages they were giving us.

“Tony has done a great job. He has come in since day one and done what the coaching staff has asked him to do. He works tremendously hard, and he had a great game last week. We just hope that continues on throughout the rest of the year.”

Heading into Sunday’s game against San Francisco at Arrowhead Stadium, Moeaki’s numbers are humble on a leaguewide scale. With eight receptions, he’s not in the top 40, and the two third-down catches also put him well down the list.

But the Chiefs’ passing game is floundering, and there’s no telling where this team might be without Moeaki.

“I just happened to come open,” said Moeaki, a third-round draft pick. “Matt threw some really good passes. Those plays could have gone to anyone. That’s just the way the plays have been working out.”

It was difficult to imagine just a few weeks ago that Moeaki might be the Chiefs’ top receiver. He didn’t play much in the preseason, and coach Todd Haley suggested it was because Moeaki struggled with the grind of training camp and not because the Chiefs were keeping him under wraps until the start of the regular season.

“Tight ends in training camp are lumped in with offensive linemen,” Haley said. “Generally they’re not going to feel very good (physically). That’s just the way that it is. That mentality is critical to the success of tight ends, and Tony is developing that and he’s got a ways to go, but I would say there are some encouraging signs about him.

“I would never keep somebody (out) that could be a part of this team. You’ve got to get ready, you’ve got to get ready to go, and you’ve got to utilize every bit of time you have because that’s a difficult position. You’re learning run and pass routes, steps, adjustments, all those things, which is a big job.”

The start to Moeaki’s career is also notable because tight ends usually don’t make much of an impact as rookies. Gonzalez caught only 33 passes in his first season in 1997.

San Francisco’s Vernon Davis, now one of the league’s top pass-receiving tight ends, caught just 20 passes as a rookie in 2006.

“You have to be a guy that’s familiar with the protections,” San Francisco coach Mike Singletary said.

“You have to be a little bit of a blocker. You have to be a little bit of a guy that can catch the football. There’s a lot of information that a tight end has to know. A lot of times that really slows down the process of learning it all.

“(Moeaki) does a good job blocking. He shows up in the passing game in the intermediate routes. He’s overall a solid tight end.”

49ERS AT CHIEFS
Noon Sunday at Arrowhead (Channel 4)

BossChief
09-25-2010, 01:00 AM
KEEP FUCKING DOUBTING TONY MOEAKI!!!

nevermind, not too many people are doubting him anymore.

Kid is gonna be a future probowler when we get a quarterback...and of course if he can avoid the fluke injuries that hurt his ability to stay on the field at Iowa.

I bet he plays a pivotal role if we beat the 49ers.

RustShack
09-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Hopefully Cassel gets hurt so we can start Croyle. If that happens, we are playoff bound.

Fritz88
09-25-2010, 01:19 AM
I could swear Adam is blowing someone at the star to get this shit published!!
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
09-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Adam Teicher at his finest

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-25-2010, 05:34 AM
Hopefully Cassel gets hurt so we can start Croyle. If that happens, we are playoff bound.

This x 10 !

Pioli Zombie
09-25-2010, 05:43 AM
I'm concerned this will take carries away from Charles.

bevischief
09-25-2010, 06:02 AM
What no mention of Charles in the article?

LaChapelle
09-25-2010, 08:55 AM
The Chiefs will cut Cassel
Joshie will pick him up
and he will burn the Chiefs for years after Tebow flames out

beach tribe
09-25-2010, 09:37 AM
KEEP ****ING DOUBTING TONY MOEAKI!!!

nevermind, not too many people are doubting him anymore.

Kid is gonna be a future probowler when we get a quarterback...and of course if he can avoid the fluke injuries that hurt his ability to stay on the field at Iowa.

I bet he plays a pivotal role if we beat the 49ers.

You were beating that drum all off-season. I had High hopes, but didn't know he would look this good this early. If he stays healthy we'll have a top flight TE for the next decade. Poor man's TG.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-25-2010, 09:49 AM
lmao today it's "Tony Moeaki making impact at Chiefs tight end" tomorrow it will be...

Dexter McCluster making impact at Chiefs wide receiver. then...

Derrick Johnson making impact at Chiefs linebacker. and then...

Shaun Smith making impact at Chiefs defensive end. and then...

Ryan Succop making impact at Chiefs kicker.

How the F does this guy have a job? It's KCStar college newspaper at its finest.

Baby Lee
09-25-2010, 09:53 AM
lmao today it's "Tony Moeaki making impact at Chiefs tight end" tomorrow it will be...

How the F does this guy have a job? It's KCStar college newspaper at its finest.

His Magnum Opus

"Chiefs making an impact on NFL play in KC.'

ChiefsCountry
09-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Moeaki can just stay healthy then yeah he will make an impact. No doubting his talent, just his injury history.

Micjones
09-25-2010, 10:29 AM
I've been more than happy with Moeaki thus far.
The kid makes tough catches and uses his body well against defenders.
He'll play a vital role on Sunday.

Rausch
09-25-2010, 10:34 AM
His Magnum Opus

"Chiefs making an impact on NFL play in KC.'

LMAO

Duck Dog
09-25-2010, 10:51 AM
WTF is doubting Moeaki at this point?

keg in kc
09-25-2010, 11:05 AM
The only reason Moeaki is an "unlikely" receiver is that nobody was sure he'd be healthy. Anybody who knew anything about him knew he was good when he can get on the field.

Mr. Laz
09-25-2010, 11:23 AM
maybe one of these "if he can stay healthy" guys will finally stay healthy for us.

Tribal Warfare
09-25-2010, 12:02 PM
if Cassel can miraculously pass over 200 yards Moeaki might have chance to be a fixture for KC.

KChiefs1
09-25-2010, 12:43 PM
I thought people were pissed at picking Moeaki? Where are they at now?

Mr. Laz
09-25-2010, 01:12 PM
I thought people were pissed at picking Moeaki? Where are they at now?i think some people were irritated because we traded up for Moeaki not because they didn't like him.

Everyone i know of really liked Moeaki they just didn't know if he could stay healthy. Trading up for a guy with healthy concerns is a big risk.

Just like DMC, he's an explosive little player with value but to take him at the top of the second round in this draft, for this team ... wow, big cost.

Hammock Parties
09-25-2010, 01:14 PM
No one ever said Moeaki couldn't play.

We just doubted his ability to stay healthy.

So far it's still in question.

Hammock Parties
09-25-2010, 01:15 PM

Teicher doesn't write his headlines.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Teicher doesn't write his headlines.

I know. I'm making fun of the article, their "writers", editors, everyone affiliated. College newspaper central.

The Elder
09-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Well what would you expect? The Star let go all of the expensive writers

johnny961
09-25-2010, 09:50 PM
WTF is doubting Moeaki at this point?

I was seriously doubting this kid when we first drafted him. His injury history had me worried and I was one of those b****ing about how we traded up for a broke dick TE that was gonna be injured all the time. So far, I have been pleasantly surprised with his performance and will gladly eat my serving of crow. The kid has looked good with a less than stellar QB throwing to him. I just wonder what this kid would look like with a good Trent Green-type passer throwing to him who could thread the ball accurately into double coverage to him. His stats would probably be alot better than they are now. Oh well, I've rambled enough when I can sum up my thoughts on this kid to date with two words: Pleasantly Surprised.

Chiefs Rool
09-25-2010, 09:51 PM
so far it looks like a great trade up and pick. I just hope he stays healthy, TE's usually don;t make an impact their first year too.

MMXcalibur
09-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't doubt his talents....but just like most others, I am still skeptical he can stay healthy for an entire season.

CrazyHorse
09-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I thought people were pissed at picking Moeaki? Where are they at now?

Back peddling.

Waiting for an opportunity to rip on him again.

Direckshun
09-25-2010, 10:20 PM
I was pissed when we selected him.

I didn't like trading up again for a TE, a position I felt was much less important than three or four other positions we had yet to address...

BossChief
09-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Id like to add that saying that nobody questioned his talent, and just his injury history, is strictly using revisionist history.

There were a handful of us (at max) that argued that his talent and football IQ were as good as they are now shown to be, no more.

milkman
09-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Id like to add that saying that nobody questioned his talent, and just his injury history, is strictly using revisionist history.

There were a handful of us (at max) that argued that his talent and football IQ were as good as they are now shown to be, no more.

Revisonist history, my ass.

There were those of us who felt that you could find a TE with similar potential who didn't have the injury concerns.

BossChief
09-25-2010, 11:58 PM
I bet I could pull at least 100 posts from the board that were doing nothing but slamming his abilities ignorantly, having nothing to do with injury history.

JoeyChuckles
09-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Technically isn't every player "making an impact" be it positive or negative?

BossChief
09-26-2010, 12:23 AM
There were those of us who felt that you could find a TE with similar potential who didn't have the injury concerns.

You can, in the first round.

mdchiefsfan
09-26-2010, 12:29 AM
I am actually starting Moeaki in FF over Zach Miller this week, it seemed like the Christian thing to do.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks Adam; never would have known...