PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Todd Haley's best asset? Learning from his mistakes

memyselfI
09-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I give the man kudos. He sucked last season and appears to have spent much time figuring out why along with what worked and what didn't. The results of HIS transformation have been outstanding. Hiring the help he needed and letting go of some of the decisions have made a huge difference.

I'm loving his risk taking and, more importantly, his ability to let his ego take a back seat to what is best for the team. That is not the same Todd Haley we saw last season.

Bugeater
09-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Yes. Now go away.

Chiefs=Champions
09-26-2010, 02:05 PM
I think his best asset is that he not only expects the very best out of his players but also himself..

LaChapelle
09-26-2010, 02:07 PM
He's no pussy

Huffman83
09-26-2010, 02:14 PM
He was just in waaaayyyyy over his head last year. I'm sure all of use were aware of it, but were pissed because he brought it onto himself.

That and everything he gambled on didn't work.

memyselfI
09-26-2010, 02:17 PM
He was just in waaaayyyyy over his head last year. I'm sure all of use were aware of it, but were pissed because he brought it onto himself.

That and everything he gambled on didn't work.

Agreed and, to be fair, some of that falls on Pioli too. But Todd Haley is the face of the Chiefs management and he's the one that needed to make visible changes for the most impact. He appears to have done so and he's reaping the rewards.

Huffman83
09-26-2010, 02:19 PM
I think when Haley tried the onside kick last year against Oakland it was to try and put some life into the team that was struggling.

It obviously failed and it made him look like a 12 year old playing Madden.

This year...it failed but just barely and it didn't really cost much of anything since they were able to re-kick the ball.

grandllama
09-26-2010, 02:21 PM
For the first time in forever, I agree with Denise.

aturnis
09-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I give the man kudos. He sucked last season and appears to have spent much time figuring out why along with what worked and what didn't. The results of HIS transformation have been outstanding. Hiring the help he needed and letting go of some of the decisions have made a huge difference.

I'm loving his risk taking and, more importantly, his ability to let his ego take a back seat to what is best for the team. That is not the same Todd Haley we saw last season.

Your's is by far your T&A. Amiright?

aturnis
09-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Your's is by far your T&A. Amiright?

Can't forget the V. Gotta have a little V.

Slainte
09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Can't forget the V. Gotta have a little V.

Whattabout the D. Don' forget her D....

penchief
09-26-2010, 02:45 PM

Says those who couldn't see that he was going to be a good coach to begin with. It's always nice to be able to backpedal gracefully. To be able to say that he's good because he changed his ways to be more like you said he should.

The truth is that any first year coach is going to have growing pains. As well as having to deal with resistance when purging a team of its loser attitude. Aside from the learning experience of being a first year coach, he's turning this team around because he stuck to his guns and is doing things his way.

Huffman83
09-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Says those who couldn't see that he was going to be a good coach to begin with. It's always nice to be able to backpedal gracefully. To be able to say that he's good because he changed his ways to be more like you said he should.

The truth is that any first year coach is going to have growing pains. As well as having to deal with resistance when purging a team of its loser attitude. Aside from the learning experience of being a first year coach, he's turning this team around because he stuck to his guns and is doing things his way.

Word.

+1

ChiefGator
09-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Great game...

And welcome back to the football forum.. been a while since I saw you post here.

Marcellus
09-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I haven't doubted him yet. He knows what he wants to do. Just a matter of getting there.

memyselfI
09-26-2010, 04:40 PM

Yeah, that's all well and good but the fact is whatever he was doing last year WAS NOT WORKING and STILL WOULD NOT BE if he had not been forced to hand over the offense. Not to mention adding a good defensive coach. Yes, he had the first year coaching issues we'd expect but he also had major ego issues that were not consistent with what he had achieved to date in the NFL.

His stepping back and bringing in people in the know with reputations to match makes him look like a geneous (CPS) when what he basically did was let go of his ego and become a coach.

penchief
09-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, that's all well and good but the fact is whatever he was doing last year WAS NOT WORKING and STILL WOULD NOT BE if he had not been forced to hand over the offense. Not to mention adding a good defensive coach. Yes, he had the first year coaching issues we'd expect but he also had major ego issues that were not consistent with what he had achieved to date in the NFL.

His stepping back and bringing in people in the know with reputations to match makes him look like a geneous (CPS) when what he basically did was let go of his ego and become a coach.

That's all well and good but the fact is that he never intended to keep coaching the offense. Getting rid of Gailey and taking the reins himself was all about getting a leg up on installing the offense that he wanted. The offense that Weis is currently running. The shortest distance between two points is always a straight line. It was a classic case of taking one step backwards in order to take two forward. In hindsight, it was absolutely the right thing to do.

The "ego" issues you point out are nothing more than symptoms of the very same competitive nature that made him an up and coming coach. Has he learned to soften his image? Sure. But that has nothing to do with whatever success he is experiencing in turning this program around.

I think it's too easy for people who were wrong in their initial evaluation of Haley to attribute any success he might have to his softened image rather than his coaching ability/philosophy. It serves as a means of being able to say they were right instead of wrong.

milkman
09-26-2010, 05:53 PM

You are a clueless bitch.

Just go the fuck away.